Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 345 Old 02-26-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Gwsat,

I don't feel good man. Crying on my vacation.
Where are you, I could use a friend to chat with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 345 Old 04-10-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Last night's episode was very suspenseful, but as much as I normally like the show, this one stressed me to the max. I'm starting to agree that ultra-violent shows have a significant effect on all the violence in society. There are other factors, of course, but each show seems to try to outdo the other. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for sh*t like that.

I'll get off my soapbox now. mad.gif
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #333 of 345 Old 04-12-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page): frown.gif

TV Notes
Could It Be Curtains For The ‘Law & Order’ Franchise This Season With End For ‘SVU’?
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Apr. 11, 2014

That is one of the most intriguing questions heading into the upfronts this year. Of Dick Wolf‘s five Law & Order series, only one — first spinoff Law & Order: SVU – is still on the air. But its renewal is being complicated by financial issues. Now in its 15th season, Law & Order: SVU is the longest-running drama series currently on TV. As a high-end drama at that age, it is inherently expensive, leading to periodic budget reviews. Last year, SVU, along with Wolf’s then-freshman Chicago Fire, received early pickups. This year, Chicago Fire and freshman spinoff Chicago P.D. were among the shows to get early renewals by NBC last month, but SVU wasn’t. (All three are produced by NBC sibling Universal TV, where Wolf is based.) I hear the holdup has to do with a pay cut Wolf had been asked to take in order for SVU to come back, something he has been unwilling to do.

Both sides have a point. Wolf’s camp could argue that SVU is having one of its strongest seasons in years, with star Mariska Hargitay getting notices for her nuanced performance. Averaging a 2.5 adults 18-49 rating (most current), SVU ranks as the No. 4 NBC scripted drama this season behind The Blacklist (4.3), Chicago Fire (2.9) and Grimm (2.6). Last night, the show matched its best 18-49 Live+Same Day rating (2.1) since the season premiere, up 21% from last week. SVU also is up double digits vs. last season, by 21% in 18-49 and by 17% in total viewers, and has an off-network deal with USA. Plus, I hear Wolf had taken a pay cut on the show once and is reluctant to do it again.

On the other hand, as solid as they are, SVU‘s numbers still are nowhere near the show’s heyday, prompting the network’s request for cost reduction. Ironically, NBC is in position to hold firm in part because of Wolf’s success with the Chicago Fire franchise. With young series like The Blacklist, Grimm, Chicago Fire and Chicago P.D. (2.4 in 18-49) doing as well or better than SVU, the network is far less dependent on the veteran than it was just a couple of years ago.

There is still a month before NBC needs to presents its 2014-2015 lineup to advertisers, so the two sides could reach an agreement. They did it successfully two years ago when things went to the wire before an SVU renewal came with a series pickup for Chicago Fire and a new rich overall deal for Wolf at Universal TV, which has another year on it. But things went sour four years ago when, after a tentative agreement for a partial 21st season of flagship Law & Order, negotiations broke off at the last minute when Wolf was asked to pitch in financially and declined, leading to the veteran series’ shock cancellation four days before NBC’s upfront presentation.

No matter which way things go with SVU this year, Wolf will be OK. He has been able to reinvent himself with a new drama franchise at NBC in Chicago Fire/P.D., and he also has been able to crack the reality space with TNT hit Cold Justice. Further complicating things, if a renewal is reached, the studio has to move on to secure Hargitay, whose deal is up. The uncertainty seems to have people on the show evaluating their options — I hear showrunner Warren Leight has been eyed for a pilot.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/law-order-franchise-ending-svu-nbc-dick-wolf/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #334 of 345 Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt if Wolf will starve anytime soon, but I would certainly miss SVU. I have always enjoyed his series, including the two new ones set in Chicago, Fire & PD.
post #335 of 345 Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Last night's episode was very suspenseful, but as much as I normally like the show, this one stressed me to the max. I'm starting to agree that ultra-violent shows have a significant effect on all the violence in society. There are other factors, of course, but each show seems to try to outdo the other. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for sh*t like that.

I'll get off my soapbox now. mad.gif

The Russian roulette scene wore me out too but I still thought it was very well done. Mariska Hargitay is a wonderful actress and there is no better heavy than the "other" Schreiber, Pablo. He was deliciously creepy as the brilliant, sociopathic serial killer, William Lewis. He was a guy who needed killin', it's a shame he was able to do it himself. smile.gif The scene reminded me a lot of the famous Russian roulette scene in The Deer Hunter. Brrr!

The talk that NBC may not renew the show is interesting. Given Dick Wolf's other successful franchises and Hargitay's contract being at an end, I suspect that it may be curtains for SVU.
post #336 of 345 Old 04-12-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I also immediately thought of The Deer Hunter, one of the most stressful movie scene sequences ever.
post #337 of 345 Old 05-15-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page): frown.gif

TV Notes
Could It Be Curtains For The ‘Law & Order’ Franchise This Season With End For ‘SVU’?
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Apr. 11, 2014

That is one of the most intriguing questions heading into the upfronts this year. Of Dick Wolf‘s five Law & Order series, only one — first spinoff Law & Order: SVU – is still on the air. But its renewal is being complicated by financial issues. Now in its 15th season, Law & Order: SVU is the longest-running drama series currently on TV. As a high-end drama at that age, it is inherently expensive, leading to periodic budget reviews. Last year, SVU, along with Wolf’s then-freshman Chicago Fire, received early pickups. This year, Chicago Fire and freshman spinoff Chicago P.D. were among the shows to get early renewals by NBC last month, but SVU wasn’t. (All three are produced by NBC sibling Universal TV, where Wolf is based.) I hear the holdup has to do with a pay cut Wolf had been asked to take in order for SVU to come back, something he has been unwilling to do.

Both sides have a point. Wolf’s camp could argue that SVU is having one of its strongest seasons in years, with star Mariska Hargitay getting notices for her nuanced performance. Averaging a 2.5 adults 18-49 rating (most current), SVU ranks as the No. 4 NBC scripted drama this season behind The Blacklist (4.3), Chicago Fire (2.9) and Grimm (2.6). Last night, the show matched its best 18-49 Live+Same Day rating (2.1) since the season premiere, up 21% from last week. SVU also is up double digits vs. last season, by 21% in 18-49 and by 17% in total viewers, and has an off-network deal with USA. Plus, I hear Wolf had taken a pay cut on the show once and is reluctant to do it again.

On the other hand, as solid as they are, SVU‘s numbers still are nowhere near the show’s heyday, prompting the network’s request for cost reduction. Ironically, NBC is in position to hold firm in part because of Wolf’s success with the Chicago Fire franchise. With young series like The Blacklist, Grimm, Chicago Fire and Chicago P.D. (2.4 in 18-49) doing as well or better than SVU, the network is far less dependent on the veteran than it was just a couple of years ago.

There is still a month before NBC needs to presents its 2014-2015 lineup to advertisers, so the two sides could reach an agreement. They did it successfully two years ago when things went to the wire before an SVU renewal came with a series pickup for Chicago Fire and a new rich overall deal for Wolf at Universal TV, which has another year on it. But things went sour four years ago when, after a tentative agreement for a partial 21st season of flagship Law & Order, negotiations broke off at the last minute when Wolf was asked to pitch in financially and declined, leading to the veteran series’ shock cancellation four days before NBC’s upfront presentation.

No matter which way things go with SVU this year, Wolf will be OK. He has been able to reinvent himself with a new drama franchise at NBC in Chicago Fire/P.D., and he also has been able to crack the reality space with TNT hit Cold Justice. Further complicating things, if a renewal is reached, the studio has to move on to secure Hargitay, whose deal is up. The uncertainty seems to have people on the show evaluating their options — I hear showrunner Warren Leight has been eyed for a pilot.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/law-order-franchise-ending-svu-nbc-dick-wolf/

Nope, it's been renewed. smile.gif
post #338 of 345 Old 05-15-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Because of the fires in San Diego (9 of them!!), all our local stations pretty much preempted all network programming on Wednesday for wall-to-wall coverage.

Where can I find the Wednesday May 14 episode that I missed last night?
post #339 of 345 Old 05-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
NBC.Com, and or you NBC On Demand on your cable system. Good episode.
post #340 of 345 Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I really didn't like last night's episode. It was so dark and ugly, I felt unclean after it was over. First I was bothered by the actions of zealous cops and a prosecutor trying to convict a citizen of a sex crime, although there was no victim and the only evidence was the accused's creepy fantasy life, including a real life torture room, which forensics showed was never used by anyone but the accused. Fortunately, the jury had the wit to see what I saw and acquit the guy. The whole thing was topped off by the seriously screwed up Amaro viciously beating the now acquitted accused when Amaro saw the guy taking pictures of children through a schoolyard fence. The job of the criminal justice system is to prosecute those who have committed crimes, not those who they merely fear may commit a crime, or so it seems to me.

I used to watch Criminal Minds but gave up somewhere in the fourth of fifth season because of the sheer ugliness of the stories. That may not be necessary where SVU is concerned though because it now seems to be entirely possible that the show will not be renewed.
post #341 of 345 Old 05-16-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I used to watch Criminal Minds but gave up somewhere in the fourth of fifth season because of the sheer ugliness of the stories. That may not be necessary where SVU is concerned though because it now seems to be entirely possible that the show will not be renewed.
It's already been renewed.
post #342 of 345 Old 05-16-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

It's already been renewed.

Yeah, it appears that NBC finally announced last week that SVU was being renewed for Season 16. I read something about 10 days ago reporting that NBC was trying to get the showrunner, Dick Wolfe, to take a pay cut so the renewal of the show looked iffy. Obviously, I had not checked since then.
post #343 of 345 Old 05-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
While it was a very dark episode, it finally showed Barba and the Suv folks actually losing a case. . Good guest starring creep role from the guy from Scandal. Wasn't Kelli Giddish the only voice of reason??? BTW, is it me or is she getting hotter?? Amaro has lost it, and he's going to have to pay for his actions. So, my sense is if it affects you, "or makes you feel un-clean", it was a very good episode, imo. Yes, it's renewed...
post #344 of 345 Old 05-19-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I thought it was out of character for Barba to go forward with the case. He doesn't like to lose.
post #345 of 345 Old 07-30-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Richard Belzer's brother jumped out of a building today. Not cool

At first, I thought Richard committed suicide and my heart dropped. Guess it's still the same, his brother killed himself.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page