The Wire on HBO in HD in the near future? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2006, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started watching this season and am hooked, but wish it were HD. With Entourage going HD this past season, any chance for The Wire too? Did they just not use HD cameras for the current season or is it some other technical problem/reason? Anyone with inside info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2006, 03:34 PM

Sadly all four seasons of 'The Wire' are in SD. I have read that 'The Wire' has been picked up for a fifth season and hopefully they will shoot it in HD.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:16 AM

Liked: 11
I thought I read that they have no intention of switching to HD.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1
I thought I read that they have no intention of switching to HD.
Bummin'.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The beating Chris layed on Michael's father was just plain gruesome. I had to turn away for a second. Would'a been something in HD.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter65
The beating Chris layed on Michael's father was just plain gruesome. I had to turn away for a second. Would'a been something in HD.
Yeah, that beating would have looked like a scene from CSI in HD. I commented to a co-worker on Monday, "everyone on that show seems to have issues" :)

BTW, that episode was the first time I could definitely identify where a scene was shot. The church is a Catholic one on the East side of town vs. where they placed it in the script. I haven't lived within city limits for over 20 years. The place looks pretty depressing and scary these days.

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
Old 11-24-2006, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike6by9
BTW, that episode was the first time I could definitely identify where a scene was shot. The church is a Catholic one on the East side of town vs. where they placed it in the script. I haven't lived within city limits for over 20 years. The place looks pretty depressing and scary these days.
Interesting. Aside from the occasional shots of the Inner Harbor, I wondered if the location shots were actually filmed in Baltimore or at a studio somewhere.

Part of the interest in the show is also because I have close relatives who live in the area (Lutherville too) that we visit on occasion. Ever try Mastellone's on Hartford St (tiny Italian market)? Hard to find Italian sandwiches that good in Southern California.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Most HBO series that start SD, stay SD. Exceptions are The Sopranos & Entourage.

So, if a series is popular, there is always a chance.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 11-25-2006, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sent msg to HBO's 'contact us' link. Will see what, if anything, they might have to say.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:05 PM

I love this show and I am angry that I can't see it in HD. You think that it will come out on HD DVD soon?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:59 AM

From what I've read, The Wire will never be presented in the widescreen aspect ratio because it isn't being filmed that way.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
its already been talked about by the writers that season 5 is the last season. being that all 4 seasons thus far are in SD i wouldn't expect season 5 when they finally do air it, probably not till 08' to be in HD.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
interview with David Simon:

Q: Are there any plans to switch to High Definition? [Jim King]

A: No. We considered it before third season and chose not to do so. We began the show without HD and created a visual template for a story that we intend as a single, five-volume narrative. To adjust that template in the middle of the story seems arbitrary and destructive to the integrated whole that we are trying to create. Next narrative we can play with the new technology. This one needs to finish on the same terms and utilizing the same visual choices with which we began. If that means denying ourselves some of the power and glory of HD and letterbox, then so be it. It's more important to us that The Wire exist -- all five arcs -- as a unified entity.

http://members.aol.com/TheWireHBO/exclusive2-2.html
Old 11-29-2006, 10:19 AM

I gotta tell ya ,I am a big fan of the previous seasons. I really liked the "union" storyline as well as the Barksdale story, but this season has sucked ! Sundays episode got a little exciting with the intent that the "unit" will be getting back together. ( in one form or another).

The whole kids in school story line is without any excitement ,completely boring. How can the former police chief even take part in this BS.

What the heck happened to McNulty ? He must be doing a bunch of movies, because they have obviously written him in for very little camera time this season.

Did Jimmy refer to Carcetti as " your lordship " when he asked his question to the mayor during his briefing ?

It looks like it will end with a bang in the final 2 episodes.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky
I gotta tell ya ,I am a big fan of the previous seasons. I really liked the "union" storyline as well as the Barksdale story, but this season has sucked ! Sundays episode got a little exciting with the intent that the "unit" will be getting back together. ( in one form or another).

The whole kids in school story line is without any excitement ,completely boring. How can the former police chief even take part in this BS.

What the heck happened to McNulty ? He must be doing a bunch of movies, because they have obviously written him in for very little camera time this season.

Did Jimmy refer to Carcetti as " your lordship " when he asked his question to the mayor during his briefing ?

Really?! Wow, this season is absolutly amazing to me (as were the others). I am so impressed with the acting skills of these kids; and the storylines are captivating. Of course I am a bit biased, working in the public school system...

This is not only one of the best shows on TV in my opinion, but one of the best ever on TV...
Old 11-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

To each his own. I LOVE this season. I would rank the Union season as my least favorite. There are so many memorable, deep, well acted characters.

Omar is by far my favorite though.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd
Interesting. Aside from the occasional shots of the Inner Harbor, I wondered if the location shots were actually filmed in Baltimore or at a studio somewhere.

Part of the interest in the show is also because I have close relatives who live in the area (Lutherville too) that we visit on occasion. Ever try Mastellone's on Hartford St (tiny Italian market)? Hard to find Italian sandwiches that good in Southern California.
"The Wire" is shot entirely in and around Baltimore.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk
This is not only one of the best shows on TV in my opinion, but one of the best ever on TV...
Agreed.

I used to think "Homicide: Life on the Street" was the best show on TV (writing, acting, etc.), and coincidentally it also took place in Baltimore. Andre Braugher was fantastic in it.

But "The Wire" is the new king. It's probably impossible for "late arrivers" to appreciate where this show has been already and how we came to learn all about all of the characters as they were exposed to us little by little over the course of an entire season or even over multiple seasons, but for those of us who've been around since the beginning of this fine show it's been a genuine adult treat.

Definitely the most realistic show on TV today. Simply superb.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber
Agreed.

I used to think "Homicide: Life on the Street" was the best show on TV (writing, acting, etc.), and coincidentally it also took place in Baltimore. Andre Braugher was fantastic in it.

But "The Wire" is the new king. It's probably impossible for "late arrivers" to appreciate where this show has been already and how we came to learn all about all of the characters as they were exposed to us little by little over the course of an entire season or even over multiple seasons, but for those of us who've been around since the beginning of this fine show it's been a genuine adult treat.

Definitely the most realistic show on TV today. Simply superb.
And "coincidently" David Simon was also involved in "Homicide" as a writer and producer, the two shows have some strong connections.

Already posted in another thread about "The Wire", but worth re-posting here, check out Tim Goodman of the SF Chronicle's "The Wire" deconstruction blog entries. Great stuff and a good way to pick up on some of the less obvious stuff in the show. Being that it is so incredibly well written, sometimes it's easy to miss some things. There's an entry for every episode with the current entry being the latest episode.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=11360
Tim Goodman. The Bastard Machine : "Wire" Ep. 11: "It's morning in Baltimore. Wake up and smell the coffee."
Old 11-29-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost

A: No. We considered it before third season and chose not to do so. We began the show without HD and created a visual template for a story that we intend as a single, five-volume narrative. To adjust that template in the middle of the story seems arbitrary and destructive to the integrated whole that we are trying to create. Next narrative we can play with the new technology. This one needs to finish on the same terms and utilizing the same visual choices with which we began. If that means denying ourselves some of the power and glory of HD and letterbox, then so be it. It's more important to us that The Wire exist -- all five arcs -- as a unified entity.

I guess that settles it. Not a biggie though. I've become bored with all the crime investigation-type and reality shows, so it's refreshing to have come across a show like The Wire.

Also, I too enjoy the storyline about the kids, particularly the subtle (and not so subtle) undertones of abuse, addiction and poverty. I feel myself rooting for them all the time.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk
Really?! Wow, this season is absolutly amazing to me (as were the others). I am so impressed with the acting skills of these kids; and the storylines are captivating. Of course I am a bit biased, working in the public school system...

I agree that the kids acting ability is superb, and as a teacher you definately have a connection to the storyline.

Like I said, I miss the McNulty character and the whole homicide unit just bores me to death. Bunk can be funny but his routine gets stale really quickly.

I loved how Lester told Bunk " this is a tomb"
Old 11-29-2006, 07:21 PM

As many, I've been watching this show since the first summer it aired. It's amazing how this show has gone from the Barksdale/Stringer Bell era, to Marlo. I'm also curious as to whether or not this will be the end for the Omar. I'm also an educator in a urban area, and Pryzbo's class is not a farce. I taught next door to a man for the past two years whose class was a zoo daily. All-Around great show even though its not in HD. Now that I think about it, it's the only show I watch on a regular basis that is not HD, besides the news (not in HD in Chicago).
Old 11-30-2006, 04:34 AM

Quote:
The whole kids in school story line is without any excitement ,completely boring.
I disagree. I just hope it is going somewhere, in the end, rather than just being back-drop.

Quote:
What the heck happened to McNulty ?
My understanding is that the character is expressing the actor's perspective: He just doesn't want to be involved in the show, and so he agreed to a few cameo appearances.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just started watching this season also and would love it in HD. It has me sucked in. I put this on par as far as realism with my all time favorite, Deadwood. If it was HD and 5.1, the impact, I am sure, would be even greater.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost

Ah...BS. Tell that to all who know and love HD and see what it does for the art.

"To adjust the template in the middle of the story seems arbitrary and destructive". No it's not!

"Needs to finish on the same terms and utilizing the same visual choices". No it doesn't. Just opinion. They want it to, it doesn't need to, just as I want it to be in HD, but it doesn't need to. :mad:

Can I hit him over the head with an HD camera, twice? :D
Old 11-30-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc
"To adjust the template in the middle of the story seems arbitrary and destructive". No it's not!
I'd think twice about telling an artist what is or is not important to his/her artwork.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I'd think twice about telling an artist what is or is not important to his/her artwork.
:D

uh..ya think? :)

P.S. The storyline with the kids is the storyline for this year's segment, it's the whole point/focus of this season, and in my opinion, it's been done spectacularly well. I can't wait to see more from Simon in the future. Frankly, I like Simon's work more than I like Milch's(Deadwood, NYPD Blue, etc).
Old 11-30-2006, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are right. They can have an opinion, but we can't. :rolleyes:

What I am doing is really just suggesting the show "could" be in HD. He is saying it "CANT"!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc
You are right. They can have an opinion, but we can't. :rolleyes: What I am doing is really just suggesting the show "could" be in HD. He is saying it "CANT"!
The distinction I'm making doesn't preclude you deciding whether you LIKE the art or not... that is the context of a viewer opinion.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The distinction I'm making doesn't preclude you deciding whether you LIKE the art or not... that is the context of a viewer opinion.

?