post #271 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

Are you sure? I was pretty certain when I heard it last night. Do you have it recorded? Maybe transcribe the entire quote?

Chloe over the phone to Jack: "Assad's Lt. forced the men from Curtis' patrol to beg for their lives and then personally beheaded them both."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You guys are right - just checked the DVR. "Assad's Lt. forced the men from Curtis' patrol to beg for their lives and then personally beheaded them both"

I didn't catch the "Lt." when watching live. As stupid as it sounds, that makes all the difference in my mind. Not as far as culpability, but from the standpoint of Curtis' responsibility to squelch his desires for the good of the (current) mission.

Hopefully all that witnessed the event are smart enough to learn to do exactly what Jack says from now on.

EDIT: Just saw Cherry's post - consider my quote confirmation.
post #273 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think I heard it live as Assad's Lt. forcing them to beg for their lives and then Assad personally beheading them both. I still think that's the way they meant it, but the actual quote does make it seem relatively explicit that it was his Lt.

Thanks.
post #274 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

As for beheadings...does "I need a hacksaw!" ring a bell? (postmortem of course)

Best quote in the history of the show. Nothing else comes close.
post #275 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

It was definitely not Hassad who beheaded the soldiers.

I'm sorry, but I thought Curtis's death was very poorly written. I don't mind LA traffic miracles or kung fu movie style fighting heroics or MacGyver stuff (in fact I love all of that) - but IMO Curtis would never have freaked out to that level over some dead comrades, no matter what the circumstances. If he was that emotional, shouldn't he have been a little more pissed about Jack being handed over for torture and death to the same group?

And even if you buy that it could happen, Curtis would have just offed Hassad in one swift move, not grabbed him and waited for Jack to shoot him.

I disliked the opening gambit for the same reason - it was just a setup so Kiefer could 'emote' and we would get the point that his character has some sadness issues. Maybe next season he could start seeing a psychiatrist.

OTOH, I loved the neck biting.
post #276 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schauer View Post

but IMO Curtis would never have freaked out to that level over some dead comrades, no matter what the circumstances. If he was that emotional, shouldn't he have been a little more pissed about Jack being handed over for torture and death to the same group?

OTOH, I loved the neck biting.

The problem I have with how they set this up is that Curtis had shown ZERO personality in previous seasons. No sense of humor, no rebel streak, he just followed orders and got the job done. Now he's making sarcastic remarks and going off the reservation to settle a personal score?

But I nitpick. All characters and storylines serve Jack Bauer's character. If Curtis has to die for us to see Jack emote, so be it :-)

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #277 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Hopefully all that witnessed the event are smart enough to learn to do exactly what Jack says from now on.

Good point, not only do they have to worry about Jack GETTING them killed, he might just kill them HIMSELF if they stand in his way.

"Can I transfer to any other CTU office besides LA please?"

post #278 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 11:35 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Last night at the end of the news they did a short segment on the new JB action figures:

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/...9-b82cdeecc3b9

They were saying that the reason one of the figures had been delayed was that they had sent the lone prototype to Kiefer Sutherland for approval, and he apparently proceeded to take it out for a night of partying with a bunch of his drinking buddies. Seems they took turns "torturing" it through out the night and it ended up being being unusable because it had been "melted" into a unrecognizable blob.

OH NO, NOT THE NAPALM!

ron
post #279 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I wonder who's next to go?

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #280 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Last night at the end of the news they did a short segment on the new JB action figures:
http://www.eonline.com/news/article/...9-b82cdeecc3b9
They were saying that the reason one of the figures had been delayed was that they had sent the lone prototype to Kiefer Sutherland for approval, and he apparently proceeded to take it out for a night of partying with a bunch of his drinking buddies. Seems they took turns "torturing" it through out the night and it ended up being being unusable because it had been "melted" into a unrecognizable blob.
OH NO, NOT THE NAPALM!
ron

Exactly what child of the age that plays with action figures is being allowed to watch "24?"
post #281 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphisig View Post

Best quote in the history of the show. Nothing else comes close.

"You probably don't think that I can force this towel down your throat. But trust me, I can. All the way. Except I'd hold onto this one little bit at the end. When your stomach starts to digest it, I pull it out. Taking your stomach lining with it. For most people it would take about a week to die. It's very painful." Day 1 10am - 11am
post #282 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I've watched every season and every season I say "Give me a break...that's so far fetched it laughable". This season has been the worst and my wife and I have laughed at so many things this season.

But, I can't wait for next week's episode...what can I say

Tony
post #283 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Exactly what child of the age that plays with action figures is being allowed to watch "24?"

Ummm, apparently Kiefer. The dude does like to party-hardy, don't he? But I see your point.

On a different subject, has the acting on this show always been this bad? Somebody mentioned that lame-o scene with Chloe, Milo, and Morris with Chloe brokering peace between them. I actually felt bad for Eric Balfour ("I came back to the show for this?"). After that, I think I'd be requesting they kill me off in heroic fashion later in the day. Some of the dialog was pretty cringeworthy last night. And Curtis never would have gone off the deep end like that; it was completely out of character. I know the scene was necessary to "shake things up" by killing off yet another main character and to show how emotionally damaged Jack is 'n all, but c'mon... he wouldn't have lost it like that, no-way, no-how. Curtis was a pro, man.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be great if they replaced him with super-agent and "the glue that holds the world of '24' together" Aaron Pierce?? Oh yeah.....!
post #284 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Ummm, apparently Kiefer. The dude does like to party-hardy, don't he? But I see your point.

On a different subject, has the acting on this show always been this bad? Somebody mentioned that lame-o scene with Chloe, Milo, and Morris with Chloe brokering peace between them. I actually felt bad for Eric Balfour ("I came back to the show for this?"). Some of the dialog was pretty cringeworthy last night. And Curtis never would have gone off the deep end like that; it was completely out of character. I know the scene was necessary to "shake things up" by killing off yet another main character and to show how emotionally damaged Jack is 'n all, but c'mon... he wouldn't have done that, no-way, no-how. Curtis was a pro, man.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be great if they replaced him with super-agent and "the glue that holds the world of '24' together" Aaron Pierce?? Oh yeah.....!

And on MLK Jr. Day. Come on Jack...what were you thinking? Curtis was one of my favorite characters. I agree, that was completely out of character for him and drove me insane they took that path.

Tony
post #285 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I think I heard it live as Assad's Lt. forcing them to beg for their lives and then Assad personally beheading them both. I still think that's the way they meant it, but the actual quote does make it seem relatively explicit that it was his Lt.

Thanks.

I agree with your interpretation, and the actual quote supports it. The key word is "personally." There would have been no reason to use that word if Chloe was implying that the Lt. performed the beheadings.
post #286 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhattyBoomBatty View Post

I agree with your interpretation, and the actual quote supports it. The key word is "personally." There would have been no reason to use that word if Chloe was implying that the Lt. performed the beheadings.

It's hard either way. I choose to interpret it that way as well, because it's plausible given the text and the situation and Curtis' reaction would make no sense otherwise.
post #287 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

And Curtis never would have gone off the deep end like that; it was completely out of character.

I agree, his demise was telegraphed waaaaay before it happened, completely out of character leading up to his death.
post #288 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 01:26 PM

I just thought of something. Wouldn't the remaining nukes be pretty much worthless now that the one guy who could figure out how to arm them is dead? Or is there a small army of Islamic fundamentalist nuclear engineers with detailed knowledge of Russian suitcase nukes?

In response to my own question, I guess the remaining nukes do not need to be Russian suitcase nukes, but could be any form of nuclear weapon that could have been supplied to the terrorists (by North Korea for example) in a fully-functional state. Now that I think of it, there is no guarantee that the remaining "visitors" are even nuclear weapons.
post #289 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just thought of something. Wouldn't the remaining nukes be pretty much worthless now that the one guy who could figure out how to arm them is dead? Or is there a small army of Islamic fundamentalist nuclear engineers with detailed knowledge of Russian suitcase nukes?

In response to my own question, I guess the remaining nukes do not need to be Russian suitcase nukes, but could be any form of nuclear weapon that could have been supplied to the terrorists (by North Korea for example) in a fully-functional state. Now that I think of it, there is no guarantee that the remaining "visitors" are even nuclear weapons.

Also, everyone who knows that the terrorist nuclear technician dude died in the explosion is either a terrorist or died alongside him.
post #290 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Also, everyone who knows that the terrorist nuclear technician dude died in the explosion is either a terrorist or died alongside him.

I think Fayed will have a pretty good idea that he's dead since a) the explosion went off before planned and b) he never made it to the safehouse that Fayed was camped in as planned.
post #291 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

I guess the remaining nukes do not need to be Russian suitcase nukes, but could be any form of nuclear weapon that could have been supplied to the terrorists (by North Korea for example) in a fully-functional state.

Irony of all ironies; one of those nukes could have the ole Red, White and Blue on it. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see that play out. Although, 24 is on FOX.
post #292 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think Fayed will have a pretty good idea that he's dead since a) the explosion went off before planned and b) he never made it to the safehouse that Fayed was camped in as planned.

I realize this may be open to interpretation, but I believe Fayed falls under the "terrorist" category I mentioned.

At the very least, I doubt he will be telling CTU "hey, see, my nuclear scientist is dead so, you know, don't worry about me detonating the other nukes anymore"
post #293 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:

I realize this may be open to interpretation, but I believe Fayed falls under the "terrorist" category I mentioned.

At the very least, I doubt he will be telling CTU "hey, see, my nuclear scientist is dead so, you know, don't worry about me detonating the other nukes anymore"

You're right. I misread your post.
post #294 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:

I also believe that the existence of "personally" means they (the writers/producers) meant for Hassad himself to be the one who performed the beheadings. Maybe the quote was scripted originally as "Hassad had his Lt. force the men to beg and then personally beheaded them both" and got mangled through multiple rewrites and/or takes, and being so close to the correct story themselves they didn't catch the change in meaning.
post #295 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 02:22 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

That was the way I took it too. But still, the timeline on FOX.com says:

9:52 A.M.

Jillian returns home, and Jack explains that his team will try to save Ray. Chloe tells Jack that she found a connection between Curtis and Assad. After Desert Storm, Assad's men ambushed Curtis's squad and beheaded some of his soldiers.

ron
post #296 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dunno...

Coulc be that:

A) He Programmed them before he was captured
B) He Programmed them along with the one we saw him work on.
C) The other 4 didn't need to be reprogrammed at all

post #297 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Wife said she felt bad for the father that got caught up in the blast. I said of the 10,000 people incinerated, he was one of the few that helped them set it off - feel sorry for the other 9,990 people.
post #298 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntennaMan1 View Post

"You probably don't think that I can force this towel down your throat. But trust me, I can. All the way. Except I'd hold onto this one little bit at the end. When your stomach starts to digest it, I pull it out. Taking your stomach lining with it. For most people it would take about a week to die. It's very painful." Day 1 10am - 11am

I have to give the Hacksaw quote the higher rating, due to the total shock of Jack shooting the guy point blank (out of nowhere), then the incomprehensible (at the time) request for a hacksaw. Blew me away at the time.

post #299 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

I have to give the Hacksaw quote the higher rating, due to the total shock of Jack shooting the guy point blank (out of nowhere), then the incomprehensible (at the time) request for a hacksaw. Blew me away at the time.

I remember the quote.. remind me of the context?
post #300 of 2010 Old 01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

You have no idea of the market for action figures these days do you? It's not kids who buy them.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page