AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

Kiefer's mother is Shirley Douglas who is 5' 2 1/2"

He's pretty much in the middle of the two parents height wise.

??????????? The original poster of this question said it as a joke. He was not talking about Keifer's mom and dad, but JACK's mom and dad. He said his father (on the show) had to be 6'6", Jack around 5'6 and his weasel brother Grahm around 5'2". I don't think Grahm is Keifer Sutherland's real brother. He was jokingly stating his mother (of the show) had to be a dwarf since the father was 6'6" and the shortest kid was around 5'2".

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

Motion to treat information in the previews as spoilers?

I intentionally don't watch them because I don't want to know what's happening, but it's impossible to read the NO SPOILERS thread without seeing discussion of the previews, which, to me, are definite spoilers.

We can't redefine what constitutes a spoiler. Best to avoid the thread if you consider the previews spoilers.
post #543 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Understood. Thanks!
post #544 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 09:08 AM

I sympathise. 24 gives away a lot in the previews (including the damn nuke) - Heroes is even worse.
post #545 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Kiefer's mother is Shirley Douglas who is 5' 2 1/2"

He's pretty much in the middle of the two parents height wise.

IMDB lists Kiefer as 5'10 1/2" ...

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #546 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMDB lists Kiefer as 5'10 1/2" ...

There's apparently some debate about this.

I am shamed to say that I actually read a long thread on another forum where people were arguing about Kiefer's height. The apparent determination was that he was actually about 5'8-5'9.
post #547 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am shamed to say that I actually read a long thread on another forum where people were arguing about Kiefer's height. The apparent determination was that he was actually about 5'8-5'9.

Is there a height limit or restriction to work at CTU or something? Why are we talking about this?

Tony
post #548 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

??????????? The original poster of this question said it as a joke. He was not talking about Keifer's mom and dad, but JACK's mom and dad. He said his father (on the show) had to be 6'6", Jack around 5'6 and his weasel brother Grahm around 5'2". I don't think Grahm is Keifer Sutherland's real brother. He was jokingly stating his mother (of the show) had to be a dwarf since the father was 6'6" and the shortest kid was around 5'2".

There's nothing wrong with MY reading comprehension skills.

I was responding (more like adding) to a different post by jonnythan:

"Kiefer is 5'8.5 and Cromwell is 6'5.

Kiefer's real father is 6'3.

Hope that settles that "

Note he uses the name Kiefer, not Jack. I responded with Kiefer's parents stats as best I could find them. How is this causing you confusion (11 question marks worth) :-)

post #549 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

So what episode will we find out that the muslim chick in CTU (Audrey from Vegas Vacation) is the mole ? It was so obvious from last night's episode that she will eventually be shown as the mole.

I would find that hard to believe. For as much political innuendo as last night's ep contained (must hearten David Kelly fans!), I'd be hard pressed to believe the writers would place someone who was presented as a sympathetic figure in face of the profiling she was caught up in as a turncoat. Her role was "used" to exemplify the plight (as were the detainees) of people subject to the methods and ideology the President's adviser, Tom, has been fostering, which sent Karen packing.

Let's see, last night's ep. ended at noon PST so she should be in LA by 6 pm PST. Still lots of show time left to be helpful to hubby.
post #550 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

I would find that hard to believe. For as much political innuendo as last night's ep contained (must hearten David Kelly fans!), I'd be hard pressed to believe the writers would place someone who was presented as a sympathetic figure in face of the profiling she was caught up in as a turncoat. Her role was "used" to exemplify the plight (as were the detainees) of people subject to the methods and ideology the President's adviser, Tom, has been fostering, which sent Karen packing.

Let's see, last night's ep. ended at noon PST so she should be in LA by 6 pm PST. Still lots of show time left to be helpful to hubby.

THe president authorized military transport so depending on the platform used she could be in LA much quicker than that. Factor is 24's ability to compress time and space and she could be in LA within an ep or 2 :-)

post #551 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

Is there a height limit or restriction to work at CTU or something? Why are we talking about this?

It was brought up today that Cromwell who plays his father is VERY tall and Kiefer is...well....not. So it was thought to be strange to have that casting. But after looking up Kiefer's real life stats (mother/father/self) it isn't all that implausible. He had a very tall dad and a very short mom and split the difference.

My sister is barely 5'3" but married a guy who is 6'5" and is the shortest in his family. The kids have all come out tall (11 year old girl is already 5'7). So there's really no telling how the height gene will play out with kids.

post #552 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've read/heard about those too. The Sports Guy on espn.com even mentions it in several of his articles (he is a late to the party 24 fan).

Here's a pic of Kiefer and Venus Williams at the ESPYs....:

height difference

She's 6'1 and is probably wearing heels, so put her at 6'4" or 6'5". She is still standing about a foot taller than him lol

But we digress, no matter his height he's making about $40 million over 3 years and is crying all the way to the bank :-)

post #553 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

We can't redefine what constitutes a spoiler..

Why?
Please enlighten me?
The previews are separate from the show. They are not part of the episode.
A preview is a spoiler by definition: an advertisement consisting of short scenes from a motion picture that will appear in the near future.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #554 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've read/heard about those too. The Sports Guy on espn.com even mentions it in several of his articles (he is a late to the party 24 fan).

Here's a pic of Kiefer and Venus Williams at the ESPYs....:

height difference

She's 6'1 and is probably wearing heels, so put her at 6'4" or 6'5". She is still standing about a foot taller than him lol

But we digress, no matter his height he's making about $40 million over 3 years and is crying all the way to the bank :-)

Your last sentence should end this discussion...I hope.

Tony
post #555 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I sympathise. 24 gives away a lot in the previews (including the damn nuke)

Exactly- they are spoilers. I tune out when the episode is over. Why discus the previews here? Telling someone to not read this thread is not a sufficient explanation.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #556 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:06 AM

Because it has been established through a general consensus at AVS and even if we had the time and energy to enforce a new definition, it would take forever to try and change every members posting habits.

But the biggest issue is it would go against the majority opinion. There are at least a dozen minority opinions on how we should define a spoiler - so we went with the ol' "majority rules".
post #557 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Exactly- they are spoilers. I tune out when the episode is over. Why discus the previews here? Telling someone to not read this thread is not a sufficient explanation.

If you need further explanation, send me a PM.
post #558 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

I'd like to agree with your viewpoint but unless you are recording and FF through all commercials you will likely see the same adverts for upcoming shows that are in a preview at the end of a show. How to avoid all that, realistically? I've seen them on football games' commercial breaks. You just can't avoid everything.
post #559 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

You just can't avoid everything.

Very true. I once attended my best friend's mother's funeral in Nebraska which is a fair drive from where I live in Dallas, TX. It occured over the weekend of the AFC/NFC Championship games (I was driving back during the games). I went WAY out of my way to avoid any media that would mention the outcome.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I had DVRd the games

Late that Sunday night/Monday am we arrived in Dallas (they had followed me back on their way to Austin). They stopped at my place for a bite to eat and some rest and I showed off the HDTV. I showed them the start of the games and they oohed and aahed. Then my buddy asked me what regular Tv looked like, so I switched to a local station. It just happened to be a rebroadcast of the local news and showed this graphic:

Superbowl 39
Phildelphia Eagles Vs New England Patriots!

DOH!

In retrospect I should have switched to to a basic cable station like F/X, but oh well.

post #560 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:31 AM

The biggest boneheaded spoiler was when ABC (?) tape delayed the US vs. USSR Hockey game at Lake Placid in 1980 and our local ABC affiliate (DC or Baltimore) aired a promo for their late news after the 2nd period saying:

"Tune in after the game for coverage of the exciting US win over the USSR in Olympic hockey"

We got a split second of euphoria, then remained extremely pissed for quite some time. Especially for a family not into hockey that just sat through the first two periods.
post #561 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

This is embarassing because I am a 24 fan. ............... Where is the CTU located?

Regarding the previews, the movie serials were a big thing at all of the theaters in the 30's, 40's and 50's on Saturdays. Republic and Columbia made the most popular serials, but Columbia serials would preview the next week's chapter at the end of the current week's chapter and this ruined anticipation for the resolution of the cliffhanger. TV has picked up this bad habit with the current crop of tv serials. I am going to make it a point from now on to tune out when this week's "chapter" ends.
post #562 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The blame should go to the network's promotion department and the production company.

Television trailers are promotional devices to tempt the audience to be sure to tune-in for the next episode. They don't have to be spoilers. They don't have to give the store away.

"24," unfortunately, has heavy-handed people putting these promos together. There is a way to balance the inclusion of exciting clips without divulging too much.
post #563 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Press View Post

The blame should go to the network's promotion department and the production company.

Television trailers are promotional devices to tempt the audience to be sure to tune-in for the next episode. They don't have to be spoilers. They don't have to give the store away.

"24," unfortunately, has heavy-handed people putting these promos together. There is a way to balance the inclusion of exciting clips without divulging too much.

I've seen shows that show previews for the NEXT episode DURING the current episode! Duh! At least let me enjoy what I'm watching, sheesh :-)

Ok back to the show...does anyone else think that Karen capitulated FAR too easily? That kind of information is going to come out in the aftermath anyway, why not fight it out?

post #564 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Ok back to the show...does anyone else think that Karen capitulated FAR too easily? That kind of information is going to come out in the aftermath anyway, why not fight it out?

I get the feeling that she has some plan to get back at Tom and apparently feels she can do it best at CTU (and, of course, BB is there as well).

I thought it was amazing that she had a resignation letter completed in like two minutes after speaking with Tom! But, this is 24 after all. She'll probably be in LA in like two hours.....
post #565 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

The implication was that if she fought it, her husband would be ripped to shreds.. and if she quietly resigned, the information would be buried and ignored. I'm sure the White House Chief of Staff wouldn't have a problem with that.

One last post about height:
http://tvshows.aol.com/celebrity/kie...at-the/1408181

Kyra is 5'5 and is wearing 4" heels, making her 5'9. Kiefer is wearing 1" heels and has an inch or two on her. Puts him right around 5'9.
post #566 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've seen shows that show previews for the NEXT episode DURING the current episode! Duh! At least let me enjoy what I'm watching, sheesh :-)

I agree with that statement. They covered up what the last president did last season, so I'm sure President Palmer Brother Palmer would have let this go until AFTER the day was over. We all know, it ends in one day, so she should have stuck it out....just one day man...come on!

Tony
post #567 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:

My personal fear is that has happened not only to have another 'big bad' in Tom a la 'Nixon' last season, but also that she's going to die in one of 24s random cast culls. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Especially after they went a bit overboard last season, IMHO.
OTOH, t may be something as simple as a scheduling conflict for the actress so she's been written out for a couple of episodes as Karen travels cross-country.

And where is Aaron? I want to see Agent Pierce of SHIELD take down some terrorists/traitors. The flamethrower kill from S5 is one of my fave 24 moments.
post #568 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The implication was that if she fought it, her husband would be ripped to shreds.. and if she quietly resigned, the information would be buried and ignored. I'm sure the White House Chief of Staff wouldn't have a problem with that.

No way you can bury that type of information after a nuke has gone off in a US city. Everything about Fayed is going to get aired out, including that. (IMHO)

post #569 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Random thoughts:

Looks like the skill level for the SWAT teams fell quite a bit since Curtis died. Those guys probably should have gotten out of the SUV and watched for bad guys a little more agressively.

Seems unlikely that the President's sister would be allowed to wade in to a riot at a terrorist detention center.

At CTU they expect you to let terrorists execute you for ransom demands if need be, but if you're threatened with being outed for a bad administrative decision you should just roll over and give up.

The spoiler content in 24's previews is about as bad as it gets.
post #570 of 2010 Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphisig View Post

......The only character I care about seeing there is Chloe, and she's almost an afterthought this season......

Did you happen to catch her (Mary Lynn) on the Leno show Monday night (1/29)?
In HD, properly made-up without the blonde hairdo, etc., she actually looks pretty nice. (She still has that infamous frown, though) She mentioned that she and the producers decided to "update" Chloe a bit for this season (combed hair, more stylish clothing, etc.), since her character has been through so much and has matured.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page