Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 View Post

I'm glad this was mentioned. I had to sit with my finger on the volume button and make constant adjustments.

I noticed this too this week. Turn up the volume to hear someone speak and then get blown out of your seat when the clock starts ticking or a commercial comes on. I don't recall this in past viewings of this show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 10:08 AM

Is everyone else getting crappy video with 24? I've got a 42" HDef and all of the other channels seem to be fine but 24 is just flat awful with the graphics. It looks muddy like a poorly upconverted SD broadcast. I would have expected better from FOX on this. Its been like this for a while - sometimes worse from show to show. Funny thing is - other FOX HD shows are much better (say... House or Amer Idol). I thought maybe it was my cable company Cox mucking it up but I have since switched to Verizon Fios and the same thing.
post #633 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
We won't be able to delve very deeply into this aspect of the current season, but I've been noticing that some of the dialog in the D.C. parts of the storyline have been drawn directly from "talking points" from both sides of current debates on similar topics. It's interesting to see the circumstances play out such that all sides are called somewhat into question within the context of the story. For all the logic gaps, the writers of this show are frequently very clever.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #634 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1959 View Post

Is everyone else getting crappy video with 24? I've got a 42" HDef and all of the other channels seem to be fine but 24 is just flat awful with the graphics. It looks muddy like a poorly upconverted SD broadcast. I would have expected better from FOX on this. Its been like this for a while - sometimes worse from show to show. Funny thing is - other FOX HD shows are much better (say... House or Amer Idol). I thought maybe it was my cable company Cox mucking it up but I have since switched to Verizon Fios and the same thing.

Video looks OK on my 50" DLP. Sometimes there is some graininess in the scenes with a lot of dark backgrounds but I think they are doing that on purpose.
post #635 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

We won't be able to delve very deeply into this aspect of the current season, but I've been noticing that some of the dialog in the D.C. parts of the storyline have been drawn directly from "talking points" from both sides of current debates on similar topics. It's interesting to see the circumstances play out such that all sides are called somewhat into question within the context of the story. For all the logic gaps, the writers of this show are frequently very clever.

The logic gaps are intentional. If the show operated logically, it would be boring as hell and nothing would ever happen. It'd take an entire episode just for Jack to travel from Valencia to CTU.
post #636 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

The logic gaps are intentional. If the show operated logically, it would be boring as hell and nothing would ever happen.

It's all a matter of degree. Rob Thomas, the writer and creator of Veronica Mars talked about this in an interview a couple of weeks ago. In one of their episodes he admitted that the "smart" thing for Veronica to have done would have been to pull the fire alarm but that wouldn't have made for good television. On the other hand, the VM writers are constantly trying to avoid easy shortcuts like having Veronica steal a cell phone to get information.

What happened on 24 that week? A entire subplot about stealing a cell phone to get information.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #637 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Does the President's sister bug the crap out of anyone else?

She has GO TO GO!
post #638 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

I'm glad this was mentioned. I had to sit with my finger on the volume button and make constant adjustments.

I find that keeping my receiver set on "midnight mode" helps. In fact, I keep my receiver in this mode almost always.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #639 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

I noticed this too this week. Turn up the volume to hear someone speak and then get blown out of your seat when the clock starts ticking or a commercial comes on. I don't recall this in past viewings of this show.

I have the same problem with most drama shows, especially Battlestar Gallactica - whether in SD on SciFi or 5.1 HD on UNI - Prison Break, Grey's, etc. It seems to be a rule that characters are never permitted to speak in a normal voice at a reasonable volume. They must whisper in a conspiratorial tone to add to the suspense. Finger on the volume toggle is the only way to go.
post #640 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a FYI - I had the same dialog issue last night. Way too much crap out of the fronts when people were speaking. I had to crank up the center channel - movies and other shows are OK. And yes, I have good hearing.
post #641 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

another here with hearing issues. I have to sit with remote in hand as I have to have 24 up around -24 to hear it where usually I have it set to -32, but ah, those commercials are teh darn reason to hang onto remote..ouch...I get this on a lot of programming..my system is mcacc set up..so it is calibrated...
post #642 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

24 is an *event* for me. I close the doors to the living room, turn the lights down, get out the chips and salsa, and turn the receiver up to reference level. Dialog is a bit louder than normal dialog, and explosions and crashes are as loud as... explosions and crashes.

Everything sounds awesome.. except the commercials seem to be normalized around the same decibel level as the loudest explosions in the show. So, I mute the commercials.

I watch most TV at -20 to -15.. but 24 gets the 0.
post #643 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Good tip about the "midnight mode" setting, I forgot about that. For me it's not just last nights episode but all episodes of 24 and Prison break. I have to constantly adjust the volume on these shows. Now I know it's not just me. On other networks with dialogue driven shows, I don't have that issue, regardless of where I am actually viewing (bedroom, living room, projector).

All I want for Christmas is my two front seats
post #644 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I think these shows are broadcast with a wide dynamic range the same way a movie is.

My cable box has a "narrow" dynamic range setting that will help normalize the volumes a bit.
post #645 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The reason for the actions towards Jack seem two-fold:

1) Jack now trusts Dad
2) Dad saw that Jack still has an attachment to his brother and is "weak"; imagine what his reaction will be when he finds out "CTU" killed his brother.

I wouldn't be surprised if in Jack's state of mind if he chooses to work more closely with good ol' Dad rather than CTU only to be shafted in seven or eight episodes or so.

Really, his Dad's "I need a few minutes" would have been a giant flashing rotating red beacon to Jack in past seasons.
post #646 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

The reason for the actions towards Jack seem two-fold:

Really, his Dad's "I need a few minutes" would have been a giant flashing rotating red beacon to Jack in past seasons.

CTU has terrible history of bad things happening when leaving suspects alone. You'd think they'd be trained not to do it by now. I'd still consider dad a suspect anyway, given his connections to the nukes.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #647 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But Jack wasn't there when the request was made, just the CTU redshirt who gave the permission.

I think CTU will be exonerated after a bit of back and forth blame-game, once Jack sees the readout of Graem's biometrics and the timeline of his "seizure".
post #648 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

CTU has terrible history of bad things happening when leaving suspects alone.

Or with Jack Bauer! Must run in the family!

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #649 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Or with Jack Bauer! Must run in the family!

"Remember the hacksaw!" should be in every CTU training manual by now.

post #650 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2s2 View Post

Karen left the bunker at 12:05 PM 24T (24 Time). During the 11:00 hour, after her resignation, President Palmer said he would have military transportation available to her so she could get to LA and CTU. Given it takes about 45 minutes to get from the White House to Andrews AFB, she would leave Washington at about 1:15 PM 24T (unless they have aircraft waiting for her exclusively which would take off immediately upon her arrival). It takes about 5.5 hours non-stop to get to LA from Washington, and probably 10 minutes to get to CTU from anywhere in Southern California :-). Therefore, the earliest Karen should show up at CTU would be during the 7:00 PM 24T hour (about 3/19's episode). Let's see if she stays away that long.

The Prez just said he'd provide military transportation, not what type of military transportation.

What's to stop them from flying her over in SR-71?
What's the Blackbirds flight time DC to LA, about an hour?
(negative exaggeration for effect)

Add in the 3 hour difference between DC and LA, and she should land before she takes off.

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
post #651 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberjgl View Post

What's to stop them from flying her over in SR-71?

You mean *besides* the fact that they're officially retired and non-operational?
post #652 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Most likely "military transport" for Karen would be something like a C-21, akin to an executive business jet.
http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=88

Defend liberty.
post #653 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Most likely "military transport" for Karen would be something like a C-21, akin to an executive business jet.
http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=88

Thanks for the link. According to the fact sheet, the C-21 has a range of 2300 miles. She'll probably be refueling in your hometown. Then you can meet the plane and tell her what you know about Jack's dad.
post #654 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

Thanks for the link. According to the fact sheet, the C-21 has a range of 2300 miles. She'll probably be refueling in your hometown. Then you can meet the plane and tell her what you know about Jack's dad.

I'll tell her to advise Jack he could be in big trouble if Dad tells him, "That'll do, pig."

Defend liberty.
post #655 of 2010 Old 02-06-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfila View Post

Does the President's sister bug the crap out of anyone else?

She has GO TO GO!

"Jack - this is Bill - the President's sister knows something."

Problem solved.
post #656 of 2010 Old 02-07-2007, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

But Jack wasn't there when the request was made, just the CTU redshirt who gave the permission.

I think CTU will be exonerated after a bit of back and forth blame-game, once Jack sees the readout of Graem's biometrics and the timeline of his "seizure".

I meant the original request when Jack's Dad told Jack he'd need a few minutes, not when his Dad asked to be alone with Jack's brother.

CTU will be exonerated, but as I said likely not before Jack jumps to conclusions and blows off CTU to go try and find someone involved with his Dad, only to be double-crossed at some important point post-hour 18 or so.
post #657 of 2010 Old 02-07-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:

However I knew the engineer would be Morris as soon as they started the descrambling, and I knew Jack's Dad and Graham were working together last week. Jack's inability to torture his brother only added to that.

Yep, when they wouldn't give the name and kept it going, I knew it had to be Morris or someone with the last name Bauer - and Jack wasn't included. When the story about his brother came in, that told the tale.

Furthermore, when Jack's dad was not taken to CTU immediately with the wife and son - and obviously for debriefing because he still knows a lot given what they do know (even if they don't know all he knows) - and then asking to spend a few minutes with his son - what was going to happen?

Of course, he just throws the syringe with his fingerprints on it down right beside the body - lol.

It really is becoming predictable.

However, the best thing is that first Jack stole a cellphone in Hour 1 - and of course everyone from CTU to the President has the number - and now he's on his his 2nd or 3rd borrowed cellphone?

How does everyone keep getting his number
post #658 of 2010 Old 02-07-2007, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

That one's really not too difficult - I would think CTU has Caller ID.

(They've used this quite often before, with characters regularly saying "Call me back at this number.")
post #659 of 2010 Old 02-07-2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

You mean *besides* the fact that they're officially retired and non-operational?

She leaves the "Underground Bunker" quickly drives to Dulles Airport.. 20 minutes from downtown DC. (Police escort). During that time, The Air & Space museum (located at Dulles) will fill up SR-71 and have it waitng for her....and she'll fly it herself, because Bill downloaded the flight instructions to her PDA..

Charlie
post #660 of 2010 Old 02-07-2007, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjghome View Post

She leaves the "Underground Bunker" quickly drives to Dulles Airport.. 20 minutes from downtown DC. (Police escort). During that time, The Air & Space museum (located at Dulles) will fill up SR-71 and have it waitng for her....and she'll fly it herself, because Bill downloaded the flight instructions to her PDA..

Charlie

They can throw her butt in the back of a 2 seater f-15 (supersonic) and tank in midair. That will have her in LA in no time :-)

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page