The Most HD Programming on a Local Channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
 
HDTVFanAtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 8,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which Local Station in America has the HIGHEST PERCENTAGE of HD Programming?

KABC in Los Angeles comes to mind:

5AM-7AM Local News HD
7AM-9AM GMA - HD
9AM - 10AM - Regis & Kelly SD
10AM-11AM - The View HD
11AM - 12N - Local News HD
12N - 4PM - Soaps/Oprah SD
4PM - 6:30P - Local News HD
6:30P-7:00 - ABC World News SD
7PM-8PM - Wheel/Jeopardy HD
8PM-11PM - ABC Network HD
11P-11:30P - Nightline SD
12M-1AM - Kimmel SD

That's only 7 hours of their "real" programming in SD out of 20 hours - 65% (7 / 20 = 65%)

If Oprah really goes HD, that will increase it another hour to only 6 hours out of 20 in SD - or 70%

So the question is, does any other station have a higher percent of HD Programming?
HDTVFanAtic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 12,628
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Well, if you count PBS, our local PBS affiliate runs PBS-HD 24/7. So, I'm guessing you want to limit it to commercial stations.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
 
HDTVFanAtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 8,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Well, if you count PBS, our local PBS affiliate runs PBS-HD 24/7. So, I'm guessing you want to limit it to commercial stations.


Good catch - but then again, much of PBS stuff is not really HD but Widescreen, so I guess we should say real HD - not just 16:9 widescreen.

I would say there should be an AVS list - maybe a sticky of the most percentage wise HD stations in America - a Wall of Fame / Wall of Honor if you will.

Obviously, the station would have to do local news in HD to make the high percentages.

The only others that I can think that might come close to KABC are WABC and WNBC - but I'm curious is there are any HD Warriors that should be recognized.
HDTVFanAtic is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

So the question is, does any other station have a higher percent of HD Programming?


I think WRAL in Raleigh will be up there. They've been a HD pioneer for a long time. All the local news (and sky cam) is in HD, Young and the Restless is listed as HD (never watch it) and since the WRAL/CBS evening schedule runs from 8pm to 12.30am you get 4hrs 30 mins of prime time and Letterman.

Roughly calculating I think that's 10 hours a day but most of it is local news.


VisionOn is online now  
post #5 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
 
HDTVFanAtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 8,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I think WRAL in Raleigh will be up there. They've been a HD pioneer for a long time. All the local news (and sky cam) is in HD, Young and the Restless is listed as HD (never watch it) and since the WRAL/CBS evening schedule runs from 8pm to 12.30am you get 4hrs 30 mins of prime time and Letterman.

Roughly calculating I think that's 10 hours a day but most of it is local news.

Unfortunately 10 hours doesn't set you out of the pack any longer.

If an NBC station did nothing but pass network:

Today 2 Hours HD
PrimeTime 3 Hours HD
Leno Conan 2 Hours HD
Leno Conan 2 Hours Up All Night Rerun HD

That's 9 hours right there.

If the affiliate airs Jeopardy and Wheel in HD, then thats 10 hours.

It is very hard for a CBS or FOX affiliate or a station that does NOT do local news in HD to do well in this.
HDTVFanAtic is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
 
cthame1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

Unfortunately 10 hours doesn't set you out of the pack any longer.

If an NBC station did nothing but pass network:

Today 2 Hours HD
PrimeTime 3 Hours HD
Leno Conan 2 Hours HD
Leno Conan 2 Hours Up All Night Rerun HD

That's 9 hours right there.

If the affiliate airs Jeopardy and Wheel in HD, then thats 10 hours.

It is very hard for a CBS or FOX affiliate or a station that does NOT do local news in HD to do well in this.

Wow! This is a great topic, but I would be really interested in knowing if someone living in another market would be able to pick up local channels outside of their market, (without satalite) in HD.

I think the Today show runs 3 hrs. from 7-10, (I only watch it on holidays and days off, so I could be wrong.), and not all markets show Leno/Conan reruns in HD. I'm in Chicagoland and we don't.
cthame1 is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CycloneGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boyds, Maryland Useful Posts: 15
Posts: 6,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Use TitanTV.com and look up WUSA-DT in Wash DC. They have local HDTV news shows. I think I ran the numbers once, and if CBS had HD on all 3 hours of primetime, it made I think 12hrs per weekday for WUSA.

Note: WUSA-DT has many hours of local news shows per day in HD. They have like 2hrs in the morning, an hour at lunch, and another 2.5 hrs in the evening.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
CycloneGT is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
homcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 6,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WXYZ, ABC in Detroit has 11.5 hours of HD programming. Five and half of those hours are local news. They also show Oprah so it has the possibility of going up.
homcom is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
HDTVFanAtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 8,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthame1 View Post

Wow! This is a great topic, but I would be really interested in knowing if someone living in another market would be able to pick up local channels outside of their market, (without satalite) in HD.

I think the Today show runs 3 hrs. from 7-10, (I only watch it on holidays and days off, so I could be wrong.), and not all markets show Leno/Conan reruns in HD. I'm in Chicagoland and we don't.

You are correct - I was forgetting about the added 9am - 10am hour.

So that would be 10 hours without any additional effort just passing NBC Network with no local news in HD.

MANY NBC affiliates will delay the overnight rerun of Leno and Conan overnight for 30 minutes and run a paid infomercial after Carson Daley or the second Leno. That results in a "tape delay" of the overnight rerun - and as most stations do not have the ability to tape delay HD, it ends up in SD.

That's why I said if an affiliate did nothing but PASS NBC Network Programming as opposed to time shift it.
HDTVFanAtic is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
SJKurtzke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WUSA9-DT WASHINGTON, DC
12:30 AM Late Late Show-SD
1:30 AM Insider-SD
2:00 AM Paid Programming-SD
2:30 AM Up to the Minute-SD
4:30 AM CBS Morning News-SD
5:00 AM 9 News This Morning-HD
7:00 AM The Early Show-SD (HD Local Updates)
9:00 AM 9 News at 9AM-HD
10:00 AM Inside Edition-SD
10:30 AM Millionaire-SD
11:00 AM The Price is Right-SD
12:00 PM 9News at Noon-HD
12:30 PM Young/Restless-HD
1:30 PM Bold/Beautiful-SD
2:00 PM As World Turns-SD
3:00 PM Guiding Light-SD
4:00 PM Montel Williams-SD
5:00 PM 9News at 5-HD
6:00 PM 9News at 6-HD
6:30 PM CBS Evening News-SD
7:00 PM 9News Tonight-HD
7:30 PM Entertainment Tonight-SD
8:00 PM CBS Primetime (Let's assume 2.5/3 hours are HD)
11:00 PM 9News at 11-HD
11:35 PM Letterman-HD

So, they don't have as much HD as you might think. It's around 10.5/24 hours, and that's WITH HD newscasts.
SJKurtzke is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jtbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 3,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

If an NBC station did nothing but pass network:

Today 2 Hours HD
PrimeTime 3 Hours HD
Leno Conan 2 Hours HD
Leno Conan 2 Hours Up All Night Rerun HD

That's 9 hours right there.

If the affiliate airs Jeopardy and Wheel in HD, then thats 10 hours.

As noted, Today is actually 3 hours if the affiliate shows the third hour live.

WCNC in Charlotte has all of the above, which makes 11 hours. If their local news goes HD, that would add 5-7am, 11-12pm, 4:30-6:30pm, and 11-11:30pm, for a grand total of 16.5 hours.
jtbell is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 12-12-2006, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KARE11-DT Twin Cities MN (Gannett owned)

1am-1:30am KARE11 News Repeat-HD
2am-3am Leno Repeat-HD
3am-4am Conan Repeat-HD
5am-6am KARE11 News First Edition-HD
6am-7am KARE11 News Sunrise-HD
7am-10am Today-HD
10am-11am Showcase Minnesota-HD
4:30pm-5pm Jeopardy-HD
5pm-5:30pm KARE11 News at 5-HD
6pm-6:30pm KARE11News at 6-HD
7pm-10pm NBC Primetime-HD
10pm-10:30pm KARE11 News at 10-HD
10:30pm-11:30pm Leno-HD
11:30pm-12:30am Conan-HD

Around 15.5 hours in HD per day when NBC has 3 hours of Primetime HD.
tall1 is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 12-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
cthame1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For Chicago patrons, the entire month of January WTTW-D, PBS's digital station will be broadcasting everything in HD. 24/24. (I'll definitely be watching and get my fill of Jackers Piggly Winks, European Traveler, Nova, and some other viewing Gems!). Its going to be a cold January, all the reason to say inside.

"WTTWD will broadcast in all hi-def the entire month of January and will premiere a showcase of films previously produced for IMAX. They were all shot in 70mm and have dolby 5.1 surround sound. These films are what you bought your hi-def tv for!! They are amazing. Don't miss their premiere on Jan 1 on "WTTW Maximum Theatre".
http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?erube_f...ath=2,15,1,1,1

Hey, this is a great post. If more OTA HD programming is offered in Chicago I'll take the plunge and get a HD set for our living room.

With Chicago, stations getting the news in HD, likely later in the year 2007 (CBS, ABC, and NBC) the ratio of HD OTA programming will be greater, and the price for the TV I'm looking at should drop another 20%, 2007 looks like a great year to buy!

Right now its looking like this for normal weekday programming on the big 3 in 16:9, 720P or 1080i:

WLS-D (ABC-7) (6 hrs)
Good Morning America 7-9 am, 2 hrs.
The View 10-11 am, 1 hr.
Jepordy 3:30-4; 0.5 hrs.
Wheel of Fortune 6:30-7; 0.5 hrs.
Primetime 7-9pm; 2 hrs.

(WMAQ-D) NBC-5 (7 hrs.)
Today 7-10; 3 hrs.
Primetime 7-9; 2 hrs.
Leno/Conan 10:30-12:30; 2 hrs.

CBS (4hrs)
Y&R 1 hr.
Primetime 7-10, 3hr

If we get 10-12 hours of programming that would be really good and a setup. I may be like a lot of people, and won't be home to watch the morning, and early afternoon programming, so for the 7 hours or so I'd be watching, 4-11; I'd want that to be HD.

Does anyone know of the plans for the Big 3 in broadcasting the nation news in HD?
cthame1 is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
SJKurtzke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthame1 View Post


Does anyone know of the plans for the Big 3 in broadcasting the nation news in HD?

Not at this time, although ABC looks like it will be first whenever that time comes. They've been upgrading other news and daytime operations.
NBC has an HD-ready set. That's why the studio shots look so good.
SJKurtzke is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 12-13-2006, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DrCrawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: under sniper fire, Seattle
Posts: 3,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

Which Local Station in America has the HIGHEST PERCENTAGE of HD Programming?

KABC in Los Angeles comes to mind:

5AM-7AM Local News HD
7AM-9AM GMA - HD
9AM - 10AM - Regis & Kelly SD
10AM-11AM - The View HD
11AM - 12N - Local News HD
12N - 4PM - Soaps/Oprah SD
4PM - 6:30P - Local News HD
6:30P-7:00 - ABC World News SD
7PM-8PM - Wheel/Jeopardy HD
8PM-11PM - ABC Network HD
11P-11:30P - Nightline SD
12M-1AM - Kimmel SD

That's only 7 hours of their "real" programming in SD out of 20 hours - 65% (7 / 20 = 65%)

If Oprah really goes HD, that will increase it another hour to only 6 hours out of 20 in SD - or 70%

So the question is, does any other station have a higher percent of HD Programming?

KOMO-DT looks to be exactly the same amount without Wheel and Jeopardy in HD. edit: fuzzy math, actually .5 hour less. 63% programming in HD...

5-7am Local news HD
7-9am GMA HD
9-10am Regis SD
10-11am View HD
11-12 Local news HD
12-3pm Soaps SD
3-4pm Northwest Afternoon HD
4-5:30pm Local news HD
5:30-6pm Network news SD
6-7pm Local news HD
7-8pm Wheel and Jeopardy SD
8-11 Network HD
11-1am Nightline and Kimmel SD
DrCrawn is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
ENDContra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I think WRAL in Raleigh will be up there. They've been a HD pioneer for a long time. All the local news (and sky cam) is in HD, Young and the Restless is listed as HD (never watch it) and since the WRAL/CBS evening schedule runs from 8pm to 12.30am you get 4hrs 30 mins of prime time and Letterman.

Roughly calculating I think that's 10 hours a day but most of it is local news.

Back in the day this would have been true, as WRAL showed alternate HD programming between 9AM-8PM (minus the local news and Y&R which were HD of course as well as the CBS Evening News). Most of it was repeats of HD documentaries they had put together over the years, but a couple of years ago they began upconverting the standard programming on their HD channel.
Also, the sky cam isnt HD, so Im assuming you meant the helicopter, which has been HD since the summer?
ENDContra is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 12-14-2006, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
 
HDTVFanAtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 8,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDContra View Post

Back in the day this would have been true, as WRAL showed alternate HD programming between 9AM-8PM (minus the local news and Y&R which were HD of course as well as the CBS Evening News). Most of it was repeats of HD documentaries they had put together over the years, but a couple of years ago they began upconverting the standard programming on their HD channel.
Also, the sky cam isnt HD, so Im assuming you meant the helicopter, which has been HD since the summer?


WRAL has been a leader in HD - unfortunately, there comes a point where they can only do so much and they hit their head on the ceiling - as they are at the mercy of what CBS decides to put in HD.

In the early days there was a lack of HD Programming - and Demo Material to push early sales. What WRAL did makes great sense - just as it made sense for inhd.

Today, with more and more HD choices and Material to demo - that really doesn't make sense - as inhd2 proves.
HDTVFanAtic is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 12-14-2006, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scott G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: East Meadow, NY
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WABC in New York basically has the exact same lineup as KABC including the HD programs. By the way, WABC news just went HD about 10 days ago.
Scott G is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 12-14-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthame1 View Post

Wow! This is a great topic, but I would be really interested in knowing if someone living in another market would be able to pick up local channels outside of their market, (without satalite) in HD.

I get two HD markets, Detroit & Toledo, all from my little 13' antenna, low gain preamp & IR controlled rotor......

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 12-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
TommyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Teller County Divide, CO
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

...but I'm curious is there are any HD Warriors that should be recognized.

These warriors should probably get some recognition. KUSA 9-DT in Denver produces 8 1/2 hours of live HD News each day.

Of that, 2 1/2 hours airs on the MNTV channel (former UPN 20) KTVD in HD as 9 News on 20. In effect, they are live with HD news for 4 hours straight to start the day. When the Today Show hits on channel 9, KUSA continues with 2 more hours of news on 20.

Here's their general HD lineup:

5am-6am - 9 News Daybreak - HD 1 Hour
6am-7am - 9 News 6:00am - HD 1 Hour
7am-9am - 9 News On 20 - HD 2 Hours*

7am-10am - NBC Today Show - HD 3 Hours
10am-11am - Colorado & Company - HD 1 Hour
12pm-12:30pm - 9 News At Noon - HD 1/2 Hour
4pm-5pm - 4:00 At 9 News - HD 1 Hour
5pm-5:30pm - 9 News At 5 - HD 1/2 Hour
6pm-6:30pm - 9 News At 6 - HD 1/2 Hour
9pm-9:30pm - 9 News At 9 - HD 1/2 Hour*

7pm-10pm - NBC Prime - (Mostly HD) 3 Hours
10pm-10:35pm - 9 News At 10 - HD 1/2 Hour
10:35pm-11:35pm - Tonight Show - HD 1 Hour
11:05pm-12:05am - Conan - HD 1 Hour
2:30am-3:30am - Tonight Show Up All Night - HD 1 Hour
3:30am-4:30am - Conan Up All Night - HD 1 Hour

*Airs in HD on KTVD

KUSA itself is HD 14 of 24 hours, including net programming.

Like WUSA in DC, KUSA is owned by Gannett.

In the Mountain Time Zone, nearly all programming from networks that isn't a live sporting event is recorded and time shifted by station affiliates.
TommyK is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 12-15-2006, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Larry Kenney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
A station here in San Francisco is HD 24 hours a day! KRON 4.2 is a MyTV affiliate, so it has two hours of network HD programming 6 days a week, but for the other 22 hours a day they broadcast locally produced HD shows like "Bay Area Backroads", "Henry's Garden", "Bay Cafe", plus specials on the Golden Gate Bridge, the San Francisco Fire Department, and Yosemite National Park, plus they air re-runs of HDNet programming and lots of HD programming from other sources. No matter when you turn on 4.2 it's in HD.

The don't do any news in HD. Their SD counter part, KRON 4.1, does all their news programming, plus it carries the MyTV network programming in SD and lots of movies and syndicated programming.

So far we have one station in the SF Bay Area doing their news in HD. That's KTVU 2.1, the Fox affiliate. They have 6 hours of HD news and the two hours of Fox HD prime time, plus Fox HD sports on weekends.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Larry Kenney is online now  
post #22 of 31 Old 12-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
cherry ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthame1 View Post

Hey, this is a great post. If more OTA HD programming is offered in Chicago I'll take the plunge and get a HD set for our living room.

With Chicago, stations getting the news in HD, likely later in the year 2007 (CBS, ABC, and NBC) the ratio of HD OTA programming will be greater, and the price for the TV I'm looking at should drop another 20%, 2007 looks like a great year to buy!

Right now its looking like this for normal weekday programming on the big 3 in 16:9, 720P or 1080i:

WLS-D (ABC-7) (6 hrs)
Good Morning America 7-9 am, 2 hrs.
The View 10-11 am, 1 hr.
Jepordy 3:30-4; 0.5 hrs.
Wheel of Fortune 6:30-7; 0.5 hrs.
Primetime 7-9pm; 2 hrs.

Chicago Station Goes HD

By Rebecca Stropoli and Garth Johnston -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/15/2006 9:57:00 AM

Starting Jan. 6, WLS Chicago will become the first station in Nielsen's No. 3 market to broadcast its complete local news and programming lineup in high-definition.

Converting from 4:3 standard-def to 16:9 hi-def, the station will air 33 hours of local news per weekalong with its other programmingin the HD format, providing more hours of HD viewing than any other station in the market. It is already the only Chicago station with an HD helicopter.

Said President and General Manager Emily Barr about the move to HD, "We've had to rebuild our entire plant. From an engineering perspective, it has been a tremendous amount of work."

Kal Hassan, VP of engineering, said, [WLS] has one of the most advanced, all-digital facilities in the country,pioneering the way here with an all-HD infra structure that includes HD control rooms, HD studio and remote cameras, HD graphics weather system and HD-capable live trucks."


http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6400303
cherry ghost is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 12-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
SirJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: "The LA"
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KABC - 7 in Los Angeles runs an ad boasting the most HD programming in LA.
SirJW is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 12-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
cthame1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post

Chicago Station Goes HD

By Rebecca Stropoli and Garth Johnston -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/15/2006 9:57:00 AM

Starting Jan. 6, WLS Chicago will become the first station in Nielsen's No. 3 market to broadcast its complete local news and programming lineup in high-definition.

Converting from 4:3 standard-def to 16:9 hi-def, the station will air 33 hours of local news per weekalong with its other programmingin the HD format, providing more hours of HD viewing than any other station in the market. It is already the only Chicago station with an HD helicopter.

Said President and General Manager Emily Barr about the move to HD, "We've had to rebuild our entire plant. From an engineering perspective, it has been a tremendous amount of work."

Kal Hassan, VP of engineering, said, [WLS] has one of the most advanced, all-digital facilities in the country,pioneering the way here with an all-HD infra structure that includes HD control rooms, HD studio and remote cameras, HD graphics weather system and HD-capable live trucks."


http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6400303

Isn't this great!? I was going to write an update, but saw you had it here. This will push WLS, ABC 7 in Chicago, right up there with the other markets as far as most programming in HD.
cthame1 is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think we have a new contender.

Cleveland Leads Nation in HDTV

January 7, 2007

CLEVELAND -- On Sunday night, Jan. 7, legendary WEWS NewsChannel5 makes Cleveland the nation's most advanced high-definition (HD) television city in America.

Cleveland will be the first city where its top three television stations broadcast their local news in HD. NewsChannel5's launch will include exclusively HD weather and expand the station's HD programming to the most available on Cleveland television.

The Most HD Programs

Viewers will now see more than 12 hours of HD programming each day on NewsChannel5 -- that's more HD programming than any other local station. Viewers can now watch their favorite shows in high definition:

All of NewsChannel5's newscasts
Good Morning Cleveland (5 a.m. - 7 a.m.)
NewsChannel5 at Noon (noon - 1 p.m.)
Live On Five (5 p.m. - 6 p.m.)
NewsChannel5 at 6 (6 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.)
NewsChannel5 at 11 (11 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.; rebroadcast at 1 a.m.)
ABC's Good Morning America (7 a.m. - 9 a.m.)
The View (11 a.m. - noon)
Wheel of Fortune (7 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.)
Jeopardy (7:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
All of ABC's Primetime programs (8 p.m. - 11 p.m.)

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
golferadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice find Ken. Just curious who wrote that release? They certainly seem to have an appreciate for HD the way posters in this forum do.
golferadam is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/10689501/detail.html

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Al Shing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn View Post

KOMO-DT looks to be exactly the same amount without Wheel and Jeopardy in HD. edit: fuzzy math, actually .5 hour less. 63% programming in HD...

5-7am Local news HD
7-9am GMA HD
9-10am Regis SD
10-11am View HD
11-12 Local news HD
12-3pm Soaps SD
3-4pm Northwest Afternoon HD
4-5:30pm Local news HD
5:30-6pm Network news SD
6-7pm Local news HD
7-8pm Wheel and Jeopardy SD
8-11 Network HD
11-1am Nightline and Kimmel SD

This forgot the 11-11:35pm Local News HD, so KOMO-DT gets credit for another .5 hours of HD.
Al Shing is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
URFloorMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 3,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Now that Poker After Dark has started up on NBC (and is not HD), you can drop an hour of HD from NBC feeds. There doesn't appear to be an All Night rerun of Conan anymore.

Frankly, after watching Poker After Dark, I'd prefer the Conan rerun. Boring low-stakes Texas Hold'em among a bunch of pros, most of whom probably don't even like each other or care at all about the tournament, isn't very entertaining. Hellmuth was certainly entertaining, but he's probably not going to be on very much.
URFloorMatt is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DrCrawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: under sniper fire, Seattle
Posts: 3,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Shing View Post

This forgot the 11-11:35pm Local News HD, so KOMO-DT gets credit for another .5 hours of HD.

Thx Al, this was an oversight on my part. If/when KOMO adds Wheel and Jeopardy in HD, they would/will take the crown. Looks like other stations are quickly catching up though, which is good.
DrCrawn is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off