AVS Forum banner

'South Park' in HD on Comedy Central

57K views 607 replies 117 participants last post by  Pavan25 
#1 ·
I'm watching it right now on Buckeyecable channel 605

16:9, not stretched...very vivid colors.

I thought I was hallucinating when I stumbled on it..

Edit: It was on my CW-HD channel. Being a cartoon...it was impossible to judge any other aspect of the PQ. Didn't look stretched...colors look great on my plasma....I assume it was HD.. Anyone else see this??

#203 ·
after reading the news the censored and bleeped out parts were

not supposed to be part of last nights episode. it was done

by comedy central in response to the muslim death threats.

watching the show, i had no idea that they were censoring

images and references to mohammed.

has the world really come down to this?

sigh.............................

#207 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 /forum/post/18521908

I assumed the beeps were intentional (A big joke re: the muslim extremist threats to Comedy Central and Trey and Matt themselves), not that the viewers were missing out on something that Trey and Matt wanted them to hear.

Having Tom Cruise do the goo thing and then become censored just like Muhammed is one of the many things that makes me think this.

I am sure the censored bar over the image of Muhammed was intentional. It was like that the first ep too...in fact the whole joke was they couldn't show him, so they put that over him, then put him in a U-Haul, then finally in the bear costume. Everytime they'd switch it, they'd say something like "do you think putting him in the U-Haul is ok? People can't see him in there" then someone else would say "I guess we'll see" with eyes shifting around nervously.

What wasn't beeped in the first ep was the actual mention of his name, which was bleeped in the second episode.

I doubt they (Matt and Trey) ever planned on showing an image of him. Although I was hoping his superpower would end up being strapping a suicide vest on and blowing himself up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer /forum/post/18524395

I thought the episode was great Tom Cruise landing on Mars, and Mecha Barbra Streisand.

The Moon, but yeah, I laughed when he ended up there beside Willzyx. And Mecha-Streisand was quite an improvement since the old days...

I can't believe people didn't like this episode (unless they haven't watched a lot of SP and didn't get all the references). Fan service all the way.

#210 ·
I thoroughly enjoyed both episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally /forum/post/18523628

has the world really come down to this?

sigh.............................

It is indeed a pathetic state of affairs. A lot can be said, but AVS certainly isn't the proper place to discuss it in depth. I wouldn't want any of its servers to get blown to pieces by zealots.

#211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/18524504

I am sure the censored bar over the image of Muhammed was intentional. It was like that the first ep too...in fact the whole joke was they couldn't show him, so they put that over him, then put him in a U-Haul, then finally in the bear costume. Everytime they'd switch it, they'd say something like "do you think putting him in the U-Haul is ok? People can't see him in there" then someone else would say "I guess we'll see" with eyes shifting around nervously.

What wasn't beeped in the first ep was the actual mention of his name, which was bleeped in the second episode.

I doubt they (Matt and Trey) ever planned on showing an image of him. Although I was hoping his superpower would end up being strapping a suicide vest on and blowing himself up.

His power way back in the Super Best Friends episode was fire.

I'm sure it's easy to find anywhere on the internet (like youtube - the South Park guys have made no effort to have things pulled from youtube) -

#213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/18524581

I thoroughly enjoyed both episodes.

It is indeed a pathetic state of affairs. A lot can be said, but AVS certainly isn't the proper place to discuss it in depth. I wouldn't want any of its servers to get blown to pieces by zealots.

If the HD-DVD/Blu-ray combatants couldn't do it, Al-Qaeda's got no chance.

#214 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith83 /forum/post/18524581

i thoroughly enjoyed both episodes.

It is indeed a pathetic state of affairs. A lot can be said, but avs certainly isn't the proper place to discuss it in depth. I wouldn't want any of its servers to get blown to pieces by zealots. :d

+1

#215 ·
well now that i know what was going on, it does make the episode more enjoyable. but with so much dialogue bleeped out it was hard to follow what

was going on.

#217 ·
Decent episode, but hard to follow with the butchering.

You can see part of the super best friend episode sampled in this interview:

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/13...turns-200.html

I'll be interested to see how pissed off Trey and Matt are at CC, and if they jab them for a while. Per the article at the times:

Quote:
On Thursday afternoon, Trey Parker and Matt Stone released the following statement:

In the 14 years we’ve been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn’t stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn’t some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle’s customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn’t mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We’ll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we’ll see what happens to it.

#218 ·
When the bleeps started, I turned on the close-captioning. They forgot to censor that and the name Mohammed was definitely showing up...for the first 10 minutes. Then the captioning stopped. When it resumed, the name Mohammed was replaced by "BLEEP". Guess someone must have gone "oops"!

Yes I said it...Mohammed, Mohammed, Mohammed! Come and get me!

#219 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/18524854

I was curious, and of course Netflix doesn't have the Super Best Friends episode available for streaming (all the other ones are, but not that one).

Wonder how recently they pulled it, or if it was just never available.

It was available last night on the website.

All the publicity it got NINE YEARS LATER finally got it pulled (a full week after they said straight out that they showed him for a whole episode)

#220 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons /forum/post/18525335

When the bleeps started, I turned on the close-captioning. They forgot to censor that and the name Mohammed was definitely showing up...for the first 10 minutes. Then the captioning stopped. When it resumed, the name Mohammed was replaced by "BLEEP". Guess someone must have gone "oops"!

Yes I said it...Mohammed, Mohammed, Mohammed! Come and get me!

good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

screw these jihastidas.

this is america where free speech is valued above all else.

south park can show jesus, moses, buddha, but not [CENSORED]

#223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV /forum/post/18520064

Very disappointed with tonight's episode. I was expecting a lot better. Revealing that Cartman's dad was a Denver Bronco who was a ginger and being Scott Tenorman's half brother was stupid. They should have made Cartman a jew and the half brother of Kyle.

I very much enjoyed 201, and felt that they couldn't have picked a better character to be Cartman's dad. I was actually pretty worried that I'd be disappointed with the reveal before watching the episode.

While revealing Cartman's dad to be Gerald might seem like a funny concept at first, a twist like that would no doubt cause problems with future scripts. The way in which the actual episode ended, there is never really any need at all to bring up that plot point again (unless they just want to).

#224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danforth /forum/post/18527624

I very much enjoyed 201, and felt that they couldn't have picked a better character to be Cartman's dad. I was actually pretty worried that I'd be disappointed with the reveal before watching the episode.

While revealing Cartman's dad to be Gerald might seem like a funny concept at first, a twist like that would no doubt cause problems with future scripts. The way in which the actual episode ended, there is never really any need at all to bring up that plot point again (unless they just want to).

The thing is, the jew thing would be funnier and make more sense. The ginger thing is a reference to one episode, while the jew issue is a reference to the entire series. Makes MUCH more sense that the cover up was to hide the fact that Cartman's a jew. Even in Season 1 Cartman made fun of Kyle for being a jew. The ginger thing was confined to one episode much later on down the road.

And as to future scripts, South Park doesn't really care much about series continuity. Sure it probably cares more than Family Guy, but if they really thought it was going to be a problem, they could have had one of the Super Best Friends wipe his memory.

#225 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 /forum/post/18527725

The thing is, the jew thing would be funnier and make more sense. The ginger thing is a reference to one episode, while the jew issue is a reference to the entire series. Makes MUCH more sense that the cover up was to hide the fact that Cartman's a jew. Even in Season 1 Cartman made fun of Kyle for being a jew. The ginger thing was confined to one episode much later on down the road.

And as to future scripts, South Park doesn't really care much about series continuity. Sure it probably cares more than Family Guy, but if they really thought it was going to be a problem, they could have had one of the Super Best Friends wipe his memory.

Just different opinions. I'm sure some would have preferred someone else to Gerald or Jack.

I thought that Jack being the father was much funnier than it would have been had it been Gerald. The "Scott Tenorman Must Die" episode sticks out as such a memorable episode to a lot of fans because it showed how evil Cartman really is. To find out that this act of evil was actually him killing his own father is probably more shocking and less obvious than making him a jew (in my opinion). And then to find out that the reason that he was both horrified and heartbroken was not because of that evil act, but because his dad was a ginger, just added to the joke and made this easily the funnier option to me.

As for it making more sense..again, different opinions. Covering up either doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me -- as I don't think it's supposed to. But it doesn't make any more sense at all to me for the town to want to hide the fact that Cartman's a jew.

Again, all just my opinion..

#226 ·
This is probably why Trey and Matt make millions and millions writing South Park, and why other people just think they know what would be funnier.

I agree that the way they did it is better option. Making Cartman half Jew would devalue every "filthy-dirty Jew" joke from here on out. Although his reaction to that news would be funny, it would basically be the same reaction as finding out he is half-ginger, without the added joke about being upset about that, but not that he killed his own father. Basically you get the same reaction, but with more jokes.