Rose Parade in HD? Yes. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-31-2006, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched this forum and was really surprised not to find a thread about this already. But my question is: Is anyone showing the Rose Parade in Hidef on Jan 1st?

I know that the networks usually carry local LA feeds of the parade, so it probably depends upon whether any of them are doing it themselves. I also seem to recall that HGTV shows the parade, but they don't have any HD channel that I'm aware of.

Seems like this is an event that would really benefit from HD coverage. But sadly, I don't seem to see anything other than the normal network coverage on NBC and ABC (no CBS or FOX coverage). Neither the ABC nor the NBC web site mention anything about it.

So, I'm not getting my hopes up, but if anyone knows anything, please let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-31-2006, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post

I searched this forum and was really surprised not to find a thread about this already. But my question is: Is anyone showing the Rose Parade in Hidef on Jan 1st?

I know that the networks usually carry local LA feeds of the parade, so it probably depends upon whether any of them are doing it themselves. I also seem to recall that HGTV shows the parade, but they don't have any HD channel that I'm aware of.

Seems like this is an event that would really benefit from HD coverage. But sadly, I don't seem to see anything other than the normal network coverage on NBC and ABC (no CBS or FOX coverage). Neither the ABC nor the NBC web site mention anything about it.

So, I'm not getting my hopes up, but if anyone knows anything, please let me know!

ABC - 11am-1pm Eastern.
HDTV

DiscoveryHD 11am-1:30pm Eastern
HDTV

NBC 11-12:30
unclear if HDTV
post #3 of 11 Old 12-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 297
DiscoveryHD may be carrying the KTLA feed, if the rose parade's website is to be believed. And, yeah, HGTV is available in HD .

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-31-2006, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
You guys are quick! Thanks!

I was just going to answer my own post since it seems that DiscoveryHD is showing the Rose Parade. I'll probably go with that over ABC since with ABC it really depends upon what my local ABC station decides to do, and they only just recently started showing some HD sports and still don't have shows like Lost in HD yet.

So, crossing my fingers for Discovery! Not sure why that DiscoveryHD thread didn't show up when I did a search for Rose, but oh well.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-31-2006, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
DiscoveryHD is showing it and from what I've read here on AVS, its going to be commercial free! First time ever for that

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-31-2006, 10:22 PM

In previous years, the DiscoveryHD feed from KTLA has been commercial free. The parade I think presents some of the best eye-candy pictures of the year - depending on the weather. One of the years it was rainy and the floats (not to mention the camera equipment) took a beating.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-31-2006, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
DiscoveryHD has shown the KTLA feed for several years now. KTLA made the conscious decision to not have commercial breaks and just show the parade from start to finish - it's paid off handsomely as many people prefer that coverage to the short shrift given to it by the commercial networks.

Not all is happy in parade-land, however. Stephanie Edwards, who last year was booted from the tower to the grandstand (in the rain, no less) is doing the broadcast via remote from Minneapolis. Her contract wasn't renewed and KTLA is being pushed to use it's station people to host the show. Bob Eubanks will still be the prime broadcaster.

There's an article in the Hot News thread about this. I'm sure fredfa or cpanther95 (or one of the other administrators) will provide a link.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-01-2007, 12:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
post #9 of 11 Old 01-01-2007, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

DiscoveryHD may be carrying the KTLA feed, if the rose parade's website is to be believed. And, yeah, HDTV is available in HD .

Did you mean HGTV coverage is available in HD?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Did you mean HGTV coverage is available in HD?

I meant that the channel exists. My wife found a listing that indicated they were carrying the parade in HD, but the schedule and information on HGTV's website doesn't mention HD coverage. Though the program schedule for their HD channel isn't dated.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-01-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=778774

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page