post #841 of 859 Old 04-19-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithaxis View Post

Ok. so I see this is happening to me again tonight. I pay for the HD and mix and strike zone channel but tonight I am getting (channel not purchased" again on 731 for Mets game but I can view it fine on channel 740.

Anyone else not getting the HD version of the Mets game?

My box is the older H10 box so only mpeg2 ability and I have the 3 dish set up. I only turned on D* for this MLB extra innings because they had the extra stuff with HD so maybe they somehow know that I am still paying comcast $120 per month and only have the directv minimum (family pack) to get the MLB extra innings...

I would rather type here than call...but I may as well give em a ring and see what is up...

If anyone else is having these issues I would like to hear, but it appears at this point it is me...that game the other night came on the HD channel around 5:30 from a 4PM start so maybe I am having a time zone issue or something....

You will need to get the newer MPEG4 box to receive you regional RSN in HD. D* upgrades you system in most areas for free. If you want the Mets game in HD and it is out of market (since you appear to be in WA), is should be on your MPEG2 box on channel 95 if you have paid for MLBEI. If it isn't on and you have the EI sub, call D*.

John M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 859 Old 04-19-2007, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
731 is *not* a MPEG4 channel.

I am getting all super fan channels just fine with my HR10-250 HDTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

You will need to get the newer MPEG4 box to receive you regional RSN in HD. D* upgrades you system in most areas for free. If you want the Mets game in HD and it is out of market (since you appear to be in WA), is should be on your MPEG2 box on channel 95 if you have paid for MLBEI. If it isn't on and you have the EI sub, call D*.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #843 of 859 Old 04-19-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post

731 is *not* a MPEG4 channel.

I am getting all super fan channels just fine with my HR10-250 HDTivo

I don't have MLBEI to check but I would expect that 731 and 95 tonight are the same transponder (i.e. channel). 95 (and it sounds like it is also translated to 731 tonight) is a MPEG2 channel. 97 for your local RSN is a spot beam MPEG4 channel.

John M
post #844 of 859 Old 04-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

So here is my updated story on never receiving the HD versions. My 3rd call today (hung up other times after 20 minute wait).
I have the MLB EI plus fanpack that gives the HD versions of occasions games. In my case I was never receiving the HD games on 730 or 731, but could always view standard def of same game.

Today the Red Sox were on 731 again and my message said not purchased...I call D* and they tell me that to access any HD on D* I have to pay a $9.95 HD Access fee each month!
I said fine. They made the change and added new charge and the HD game now comes in.

So, I guess I need to go read some fine print. Because I paid for MLB extra innings plus the fan pack that says strikezone channel, MLB mix channel and occasional HD games. Now I have to pay a 3rd fee just to be able to see the HD version, if that is the case, I am paying for the HD version of that package twice.

Now, I wonder if this is only because I have D* cheapest family pack to get MLB extra innings?

anyways, what a crock of you know what. I had D* up until 2005 and there was never anything called HD access fee, This is not the HD Package with HDNet and so forth, I still get none of those channels. Is that HD Access a new type of charge they have added in the past year? The guy said because the HD took more bandwidth is why they had the HD access fee....

Thanks for any feedback,

Keith
post #845 of 859 Old 04-26-2007, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
HD Access fee started Feb 5th this year. All new HD receiver activation require the HD Access fee. This replaced the old HD pack. My guess is that you never had the HD Package before because if you did you wouldn't have had a problem.

With the HD Access fee you get any HD channels available at your package level. Since you have the family package it doesn't include things like ESPN and such. If you had Choice then you'd get all the HD channels in the 70s other then HBO and Showtime.

Scott
post #846 of 859 Old 04-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

HD Access fee started Feb 5th this year. All new HD receiver activation require the HD Access fee. This replaced the old HD pack. My guess is that you never had the HD Package before because if you did you wouldn't have had a problem.

With the HD Access fee you get any HD channels available at your package level. Since you have the family package it doesn't include things like ESPN and such. If you had Choice then you'd get all the HD channels in the 70s other then HBO and Showtime.

score one for cable!!! they only charge $5 for HD access but seriously they're all greedy bastards
post #847 of 859 Old 04-26-2007, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepbrs View Post

score one for cable!!! they only charge $5 for HD access but seriously they're all greedy bastards

*Your* cable only. Mine charges a lot more then $10 for their HD Tier and it has less channels in it then even DirecTV. Plus the HD DVR is $13 a month (for just one of them). Not all cable is the same.

Scott
post #848 of 859 Old 04-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

*Your* cable only. Mine charges a lot more then $10 for their HD Tier and it has less channels in it then even DirecTV. Plus the HD DVR is $13 a month (for just one of them). Not all cable is the same.

the 5 bux gets me FSNHD (useless), ESPNHD, ESPN2HD (just added last week), HDNet, HDNet Movies, INHD, MHD, UHD, our HDDVR's are 15 total (5 for box & remote, then 10 for "DVR Service"), how much do they charge for your "HD Tier"? anything more than $10 is absurd, unless it includes a lot more HD's; for instance i'd be happy to shell out 20-30/mo if they just gave me all the HD's (including premiums), without all the extra channels that come along with the premium packages
post #849 of 859 Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Quote:

For a friend of mine in Central Missouri, MediaCom said she'd have to switch to a (much higher cost) digital tier and fork over some added bucks for HD content. Altogether, it came to about $50 more per month.

She declined the offer, kept her basic cable tier, bought an antenna and is happy.

Admittedly, she is still in the middle of her (bargain) first year of a phone/internet/video bundling deal, but still....

Had Mediacom just charged her an extra $10-$15 a month, then bumped her up another $20 or so after her year, she probably wouldn't have thoight twice about signing on.
post #850 of 859 Old 04-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

For a friend of mine in Central Missouri, MediaCom said she'd have to switch to a (much higher cost) digital tier and fork over some added bucks for HD content. Altogether, it came to about $50 more per month.

She declined the offer, kept her basic cable tier, bought an antenna and is happy.

Admittedly, she is still in the middle of her (bargain) first year of a phone/internet/video bundling deal, but still....

Had Mediacom just charged her an extra $10-$15 a month, then bumped her up another $20 or so after her year, she probably wouldn't have thoight twice about signing on.

well if you're going to count the cost of just having digital cable to begin with, then yes, adding HD cable channels is VERY expensive, in fact that's the reason i just have basic right now (i still get TNTHD though, and most of the HD locals), but having to pay for digital cable (~50/month) just to get the HD's is rediculous; although i'm going to switch the name on the service and get the promo rate for digital cable (~30/month) for six months so that the promo ends the day after the last regular season monday night NFL game and then cancel the service
post #851 of 859 Old 04-27-2007, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HD locals should be considered part of LIMITED basic!
HD simulcasts of SD channels should be offered at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE for those who get the SD channel.
post #852 of 859 Old 04-27-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the 5 bux gets me FSNHD (useless), ESPNHD, ESPN2HD (just added last week), HDNet, HDNet Movies, INHD, MHD, UHD, our HDDVR's are 15 total (5 for box & remote, then 10 for "DVR Service"), how much do they charge for your "HD Tier"? anything more than $10 is absurd, unless it includes a lot more HD's; for instance i'd be happy to shell out 20-30/mo if they just gave me all the HD's (including premiums), without all the extra channels that come along with the premium packages

Ok, so I looked it up.

$9.99 a month for HD.
DVR is actually $14.99 a month.
HD DVR? add another $6.95 a month. Holy crap! $22 a month just for an HD DVR, and that's only for 1!!!

Now this actually only includes "Expanded Basic" channels which of course aren't that much.

So now we're up to $71.92 a month already. No premiums and a *whole* lot less channels then DirecTV.

So if I add in all the movie channels and sports we're now up to $116.92 a month and that's only with one receiver in the house. Oh, that the promotion price. Add $16 a month more after this promotion. So now we're $133 a month.

It appears to be $6.99 for each additional receiver (non HD).

HD channels included:
HDNet
HDNet Movies
ESPN HD
TNT HD
Discovery HD
Universal HD

Hmmm, looks pretty familiar to DirecTV but has less channels.

So in the end for the $10 a month for HD from DirecTV I'll get more channels and spend less money because the regular channel packages are cheaper and have many more channels. $110 grand total gets me *every* channel available including HD and that includes my first HD DVR which doesn't cost me anything extra. Just $4.99 a month for every extra receiver, even if it's another HD DVR.

But that's just my situation.

No 2 cable systems are alike, even in the next town over. Charter, Comcast and TWC are the big dogs around here and they are all very similar in price and channels as to what I described above.

Scott
post #853 of 859 Old 04-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, so I looked it up.

$9.99 a month for HD.
DVR is actually $14.99 a month.
HD DVR? add another $6.95 a month. Holy crap! $22 a month just for an HD DVR, and that's only for 1!!!

Now this actually only includes "Expanded Basic" channels which of course aren't that much.

So now we're up to $71.92 a month already. No premiums and a *whole* lot less channels then DirecTV.

So if I add in all the movie channels and sports we're now up to $116.92 a month and that's only with one receiver in the house. Oh, that the promotion price. Add $16 a month more after this promotion. So now we're $133 a month.

It appears to be $6.99 for each additional receiver (non HD).

HD channels included:
HDNet
HDNet Movies
ESPN HD
TNT HD
Discovery HD
Universal HD

Hmmm, looks pretty familiar to DirecTV but has less channels.

So in the end for the $10 a month for HD from DirecTV I'll get more channels and spend less money because the regular channel packages are cheaper and have many more channels. $110 grand total gets me *every* channel available including HD and that includes my first HD DVR which doesn't cost me anything extra. Just $4.99 a month for every extra receiver, even if it's another HD DVR.

But that's just my situation.

No 2 cable systems are alike, even in the next town over. Charter, Comcast and TWC are the big dogs around here and they are all very similar in price and channels as to what I described above.

no INHD? i figured EVERYONE got INHD since it was owned by the cable co's
post #854 of 859 Old 04-27-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no INHD? i figured EVERYONE got INHD since it was owned by the cable co's

Nope. InHD is typically only on Comcast and TWC systems. Perhaps Cox. It's not owned by all cable companies, only just a couple of them.

You may be starting to realize that you may have a great cable system. But the vast majority of them still suck and cost too much with less channels.

Scott
post #855 of 859 Old 04-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope. InHD is typically only on Comcast and TWC systems. Perhaps Cox. It's not owned by all cable companies, only just a couple of them.

You may be starting to realize that you may have a great cable system. But the vast majority of them still suck and cost too much with less channels.

i still think they all suck, everyone needs more competition
post #856 of 859 Old 05-28-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

TV Sports
How Baseball Moved Its 24-Hour Channel Into Scoring Position
By Richard Sandomir The New York Times May 28, 2007

Major League Baseball plotted for two decades to create a 24-hour channel, and last month it got its way after months of tortuous negotiations with DirecTV and cable operators.

The channel first envisioned by the former commissioner Peter Ueberroth is to start in early 2009 with nearly 47 million cable and satellite customers, with its first major programming being the World Baseball Classic.

The channel will begin its life with more subscribers than any other cable network before it, partly because of a strategy that used Extra Innings, the package of out-of-market games loved by fans who have relocated from their home teams, as negotiating leverage to build up the nascent channel.

The strategy emboldened baseball to make the renewal of Extra Innings from 2007 to 2013 contingent upon carrying the new channel on broadly distributed digital basic tiers, not narrower digital sports tiers.

The evidence of that is that we started doing one-year deals on Extra Innings in 2004, said Tim Brosnan, baseball's executive vice president for business, who has been working on the channel for about five years.

Robert D. Jacobson, the president of the InDemand consortium owned by the cable operators Comcast, Time Warner and Cox, battled Brosnan before finally agreeing to a deal on April 4.

We weren't surprised with what they did, Jacobson said. They kept rolling over Extra Innings as one-year arrangements because they hadn't figured out their channel strategy.

What publicly appeared to be negotiations about Extra Innings were much more about the 24-hour channel, which, because its elements are known only to baseball officials, lacked a constituency of fans clamoring to get it.

Some people thought that Extra Innings was the dog and the channel the tail, said Chris Tully, baseball's senior vice president for broadcasting.

He said baseball made sure it was the other way around.

But cable subscribers protested with e-mail and on-line petitions that they would be disenfranchised by a tentative deal approved by baseball owners, but not signed, that would have given Extra Innings to DirecTV exclusively for $700 million over seven years.

DirecTV also guaranteed that 15 million of its 16 million subscribers would get the channel. For that, it received a one-third stake in the channel.

The Senate Commerce Committee held a hearing that baseball officials resented attending.

A Boston Red Sox fan site, bostondirtdogs.com, altered a photograph of an apartment building pocked with satellite dishes, all with the name Bud on each of them, referring to Commissioner Bud Selig. The caption read: Welcome to Budville.

And on March 21, MSNBC's Countdown with Keith Olbermann awarded Brosnan the bronze medal for being one of the three worst people in the world that day for rejecting InDemand's offer to renew Extra Innings and carry the channel. Brosnan could not reach Olbermann to vent his anger, but was calmed by a friend of his, the Democratic Party strategist James Carville.

He said, God can you believe this?' Carville said in a telephone interview, and my reaction was that I had been No. 18 in the entire world for Spy magazine on its list of the most appalling people in the world. And it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. He told Brosnan to show the segment at owners' meetings.

He's made them a lot of money.

Brosnan has heeded Carville's wisdom: he playfully showed the segment to a visitor to his office.

Two weeks after the Olbermann flap, baseball and cable operators reached an agreement, but it might have been a different one if not for the fan furor, Congressional scrutiny or DirecTV's willingness to drop its exclusivity on Extra Innings.

We have to credit a confluence of events, Brosnan said. We could only be so smart.

Selig, who was criticized by some as insensitive to cable fans, said: It was worth taking some of the rips. This is critical to our marketing for the future.

The lucrative deal will:

Pay M.L.B. an average of $80 million annually for Extra Innings.

Generate total cable subscriber fees of $112 million in 2009 and $152.7 million in 2015, according to a presentation made to owners on May 17 in Manhattan by the investment firm Allen & Company. Baseball must split those revenues with cable and DirecTV.

Produce advertising revenues that will rise to $65 million in 2015.

Create an asset in the new network that Allen estimates is worth $1.2 billion to baseball, based on its two-thirds ownership stake. DirecTV ended up with a 16.67 percent stake, Comcast with 8.34 percent, Time Warner 6.35 percent and Cox 1.98 percent, based on their proportional shares of subscribers in the network.

Baseball's first stab at a channel, in 1987, was not as grandiose, and came when it was also looking at making its first major rights deal with a cable network. Two consultants' reports were analyzed, and another plan was proposed by Tom Curley, then the president of USA Today, and Thomas Freston, who was running MTV.

Ultimately, a four-year deal worth $1.6 billion was made with ESPN, which lasted from 1990 to 1993, obviating the need for a baseball channel. It was just easier to make a deal with someone to pay us $400 million a year, said Bryan Burns, a former head of M.L.B. broadcasting and now an ESPN executive.

The idea was revived, with a twist, when baseball teamed with ABC and NBC from 1994 to 1995 to create The Baseball Network, a venture in which M.L.B. got no upfront rights fees but sold all its own broadcast TV advertising.

It failed amid acrimony between the networks and baseball, and the impact of the players' strike.

The cable network got more traction around 2002 and owners gave it the go-ahead two years later, believing then that digital sports tiers, which charge subscribers extra fees, would become more popular than they are.

Baseball altered its strategy, and its distribution plan mirrors that of the NFL Network, which has 42 million subscribers but is in the midst of a legal fight over whether the channel can be carried on digital sports tiers.

The channel will spend upward of $30 million in start-up costs (with the rest of the continuing costs paid through cash flow) for a network that will carry 26 Saturday night games (which will compete with local broadcasts); archival and fantasy programming; studio shows; and perhaps some reality series.

This channel, Brosnan said, will not rise or fall on games but on the creativity of our nongame programming.

The channel will also serve as leverage if national TV partners like ESPN, Fox or TBS do not pay what baseball wants.

It would be a viable alternative, said Jerry Reinsdorf, the owner of the Chicago White Sox. I can't imagine it happening, but it's hard to imagine G.M. not being the biggest seller of cars. You've got to constantly plan ahead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/28/sp...gewanted=print
post #857 of 859 Old 05-28-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

The channel will spend upward of $30 million in start-up costs (with the rest of the continuing costs paid through cash flow) for a network that will carry 26 Saturday night games (which will compete with local broadcasts); archival and fantasy programming; studio shows; and perhaps some reality series.

So, that's it? A baseball game of the week and lots of filler?

Exciting.
post #858 of 859 Old 05-28-2007, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post

So, that's it? A baseball game of the week and lots of filler?

Exciting.

Probably will be much like NFL Network. However, with games every night instead of every week, there can be highlight shows, fantasy shows, etc.
post #859 of 859 Old 05-29-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

TV Sports
Surprise! MLB EI Adds Charter
Charter to offer baseball in Major League package
By Gena Kittner Wisconsin State Journal

Charter Communications customers will be able to catch more baseball games thanks to a deal the company recently signed with Major League Baseball and pay-per-view provider iN DEMAND.

Although about a third of the way through the Major League Baseball season, Charter, MLB and iN DEMAND have finalized an agreement to offer Charter customers the MLB Extra Innings subscription game package, Charter officials said Friday.

MLB Extra Innings allows baseball fans to see additional games featuring teams not in their geographic market, said Bob Pinter, local spokesman for Charter Communications.

For instance, the package allows Charter customers who are Yankee, Marlins or Red Sox fans to watch their favorite teams from the comfort of their Wisconsin sofa.

Charter has offered MLB Extra Innings for several years, but encountered issues renewing the contract with MLB to carry the package this year, Pinter said.

Because of the delay, Charter is offering the package at a discount, he said.

Customers can buy the package before July 8 for $159.96 -- 20 percent off the price of a full season. Customers who have two Charter services, such as cable and phone, can buy the package for $139.99 -- 30 percent off the full price. Customers with all three services can get the package for $119.99 -- 40 percent off the full price.

A half-season package is available after July 8 for $129. A pennant-race package also is available for $59.

Pinter said the company appreciates customers' patience as it worked out the contract.

"We realize that we do have customers in southern Wisconsin that are fans of baseball teams other than the Milwaukee Brewers," Pinter said.

http://www.madison.com/toolbox/index...41%26ntpid%3D3
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page