Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 859 Old 01-31-2007, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschultz View Post

Since I found this on page four of the forum, I doubt there is an answer, but...

Any word on the progress of this?

DirecTV isn't allowing a link on their site to subscribe to MLB EI for this season yet.

I wonder if they are even going to be able to do an Early Bird thing?

it will be announced in two weeks... and its for the 2007 season... yikes

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.p...=635&Itemid=52

ÂNothing attempted, nothing achievedÂ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 859 Old 01-31-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

There's Good TV, Better TV and DirecTV, but nothing beats a calibrated TV!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 859 Old 01-31-2007, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Washington Notebook
Kerry to Question Proposed DirecTV-MLB Deal
By R. Thomas Umstead MultiChannel News 1/31/2007

A former presidential candidate plans to take his swings against the proposed DirecTV-Major League Baseball out-of-market package agreement.

Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) intends to question Federal Communications Commission chairman Kevin Martin about the pending $700 million deal between the direct-broadcast satellite provider and the league that would provide DirecTV with exclusive rights to baseball's Extra Innings live-game package. The deal would shut out cable subscribers from purchasing the $179 package, which provides hundreds of live out-of-market baseball games.

Martin will appear Thursday in front of the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, of which Kerry is a member.

I am opposed to anything that deprives people of reasonable choices. In this day and age, consumers should have more choices, not fewer, Kerry said in a prepared statement. I'd like to know how this serves the public -- a deal that will force fans to subscribe to DirecTV in order to tune in to their favorite players. A Red Sox fan ought to be able to watch their team without having to switch to DirecTV.

Representatives from DirecTV and MLB could not be reached for comment.

Meanwhile, cable executives close to the negotiations said the industry has not been notified by baseball that it's out of the running to secure rights to the package.

The industry, through In Demand, offered to carry the package for $70 million per year on a nonexclusive basis, according to executives close to In Demand. The sticking point has been cable's unwillingness to provide mass distribution for baseball's 24-hour linear channel, expected to launch in 2009, according to Sports Business Journal.

The proposed deal has been slammed by several sports-media writers and bloggers, who claimed that MLB is hurting fans by stealing the package from cable.

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leid=CA6412251

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #184 of 859 Old 01-31-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Why couldn't people complain about the package this must before? And for that matter where's the choice of being able to see all your team's games but can't because EI doesn't offer OTA feeds?
post #185 of 859 Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

True, it is most annoying when a game is being boadcast OTA and it isn't part of the package -- althouhg in a few cases the OTA games ARE included in MLB-EI. Go figure.

On the other hand, the number of OTA games has diminished greatly in recent years. A growing number of teams broadcast none, or almost none, of their games OTA any more.

post #186 of 859 Old 01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

True, it is most annoying when a game is being boadcast OTA and it isn't part of the package -- althouhg in a few cases the OTA games ARE included in MLB-EI. Go figure.

On the other hand, the number of OTA games has diminished greatly in recent years. A growing number of teams broadcast none, or almost none, of their games OTA any more.

The only reason those games are on is because they are being simulcasted on a RSN. Its very frustrating especially if you're a Padres fan who can't have any of their games shown through their tv affliate 4SD. The fact this package doesn't include CSN Philly is a joke. It's an even greater joke that InDemand had the package and didn't use either feed.

And why the heck can't any journalist, reporter, politician, etc. shed some light on the saturday afternoon blackouts. The Fox games could atleast be offered in the package if they wanted to still keep their exclusive window. The fact that non of the out of market games on Fox's Saturday baseball is a great annoyance.
post #187 of 859 Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

(I am, sadly, a Padres fan.)

Cox (Channel4 SD) and Comcast, which owns the Philadelphia RSN, won't allow their signals to be carried by satellite. I don't know about the Phillies, but last year, as I recall, 94 Padres games were available on EI -- although some of those might have included OTA games available here in LA when the Dodgers played the Padres.

MLB-EI would love to have those games.

As for Fox, you'd think it could at least broadcast the out-of-market games on its local sub channels -- like many CBS stations do during the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

post #188 of 859 Old 02-01-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:

(I am, sadly, a Padres fan.)

Cox (Channel4 SD) and Comcast, which owns the Philadelphia RSN, won't allow their signals to be carried by satellite. I don't know about the Phillies, but last year, as I recall, 94 Padres games were available on EI -- although some of those might have included OTA games available here in LA when the Dodgers played the Padres.

Has anyone put two and two together that:

1) this MLB trouble stirred up by Sen. John Kerry is similiar to the NFL Sunday ticket trouble stirred up by Sen. Arlen Spector.

2) Sen. Spector is from Philly. and Comcast in Philly is the one making the biggest stink regarding the MLB D* exclusive deal.

3) Comcast is a huge contributor to the Sen. Spector election fund.

4) Sen. Spector started stirring things up NFT-ST issues in early December, THE SAME WEEK Libery media announced they were going to acquire D*. Funny how brave politicians get as soon as Mr. Murdoch starts leaving the picture.

5) Sen. Kerry starts fighting against D* on MLB exclusive rights one month later...something they thought they had in the bag.

6) Time Warner is a huge contributor to the Sen. Kerry election fund, with interests tied to both broadcasting and Major league baseball (to say the least!)

7) this is the second political entity to attack D* since the Liberty Media announcement....I'm sure there is more to come. With the Rupert influence out of the way, its open season for other special interests to make their move.

its only the beginning...see how it all ties together now?
post #189 of 859 Old 02-01-2007, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For me as a HUGE baseball fan, I want the baseball channel. If the cost of getting this is D* exclusivity so be it.

There is no where you can go to get good highlights of games that actually show you the flow of the game. Baseball Tonight has turned into let's show every home run hit, talk about the AL East and break in every five seconds to show what just happened in the one West Coast game being played tonight.

Hopefully a baseball channel would do a baseball tonight type program that is like baseball tonight used to be. A decent length highlights package of each game that shows the viewer the key moments of the game.

I have D* now, but if cable was given the exclusive I would switch over in a heartbeat.

I do feel sorry for the people that have a local team not covered by D*. Those people really get hurt by this -- however Congress should be arguing about the local coverage monopoly issue as much as the national coverage monopoly issue. I don't see a difference between the two -- either both are OK or neither.
post #190 of 859 Old 02-01-2007, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree Brad and for the bs that cable companies have been pulling around with trying to get satellite taxes in states and their pathetic service they've offered until recently with the trio deals Cable doesn't deserve to have the packages, especially if they can't shell out the $$$ that so many people have shelled out to them. I truly feel sorry for people who can't get satellite for whatever reason.

At the same time you can't help but think this is all a ploy for MLB and their websites continued success with MLB.TV and its 24 hour channel offered for free on the website.
post #191 of 859 Old 02-02-2007, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 View Post

Has anyone put two and two together that:

1) this MLB trouble stirred up by Sen. John Kerry is similiar to the NFL Sunday ticket trouble stirred up by Sen. Arlen Spector.

2) Sen. Spector is from Philly. and Comcast in Philly is the one making the biggest stink regarding the MLB D* exclusive deal.

3) Comcast is a huge contributor to the Sen. Spector election fund.

4) Sen. Spector started stirring things up NFT-ST issues in early December, THE SAME WEEK Libery media announced they were going to acquire D*. Funny how brave politicians get as soon as Mr. Murdoch starts leaving the picture.

5) Sen. Kerry starts fighting against D* on MLB exclusive rights one month later...something they thought they had in the bag.

6) Time Warner is a huge contributor to the Sen. Kerry election fund, with interests tied to both broadcasting and Major league baseball (to say the least!)

7) this is the second political entity to attack D* since the Liberty Media announcement....I'm sure there is more to come. With the Rupert influence out of the way, its open season for other special interests to make their move.

its only the beginning...see how it all ties together now?

wrong

Oversight back on the Agenda in the Commerce Committee
Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) came right out and said it. One result of the midterm elections will be "A lot more attention to the FCC about what they are or are not doing." The process kicked off without any further ado at yesterday's face-off between the five FCC Commissioners and assorted members of the Senate Commerce Committee. The first sign of the times was the composition of the panels. At the FCC table, it was three Republicans to two Democrats. The Senate side looked a little different. Attendance was a shifting phenomenon, with many having other claims on their time, but by the time the meeting was gaveled to a close, nine Democrats had checked in to only three Republicans. During the question and answer phase, that left Kevin Martin pretty much playing defense the entire time. Democrat Michael Copps carried the ball for the Democrats with Jonathan Adelstein getting a fair number of carries in a supporting role. Republicans Deborah Taylor Tate spent the entire time on the sidelines, and Robert McDowell, marking the eight-month point in his FCC tenure, only figured in once when he was complimented for, oddly enough, staying on the sidelines, during the AT&T/BellSouth proceeding. As expected, some of the toughest questioning came from Byron Dorgan (D-ND), who kicked off his turn by complaining that his five minutes was not nearly enough - mere surface scratching time - and asked Chairman Daniel Inouye (D-HI) to keep the FCC on the schedule. That looks like a sure thing at this point. Notable no-shows: John McCain (R-AZ), who has made being a thorn in NAB's side a cottage industry at times; Trent Lott (R-MS), who joined with Dorgan earlier in the Resolution of Disapproval of the FCC's 6/2/03 dereg attempt; and John Kerry (D-MA), who had mentioned plans to query Commissioners about a major league baseball/satellite deal which he thought would deprive viewers from access to game coverage.
post #192 of 859 Old 02-02-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

wrong

Oversight back on the Agenda in the Commerce Committee
Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) came right out and said it. One result of the midterm elections will be "A lot more attention to the FCC about what they are or are not doing." The process kicked off without any further ado at yesterday's face-off between the five FCC Commissioners and assorted members of the Senate Commerce Committee. The first sign of the times was the composition of the panels. At the FCC table, it was three Republicans to two Democrats. The Senate side looked a little different. Attendance was a shifting phenomenon, with many having other claims on their time, but by the time the meeting was gaveled to a close, nine Democrats had checked in to only three Republicans. During the question and answer phase, that left Kevin Martin pretty much playing defense the entire time. Democrat Michael Copps carried the ball for the Democrats with Jonathan Adelstein getting a fair number of carries in a supporting role. Republicans Deborah Taylor Tate spent the entire time on the sidelines, and Robert McDowell, marking the eight-month point in his FCC tenure, only figured in once when he was complimented for, oddly enough, staying on the sidelines, during the AT&T/BellSouth proceeding. As expected, some of the toughest questioning came from Byron Dorgan (D-ND), who kicked off his turn by complaining that his five minutes was not nearly enough - mere surface scratching time - and asked Chairman Daniel Inouye (D-HI) to keep the FCC on the schedule. That looks like a sure thing at this point. Notable no-shows: John McCain (R-AZ), who has made being a thorn in NAB's side a cottage industry at times; Trent Lott (R-MS), who joined with Dorgan earlier in the Resolution of Disapproval of the FCC's 6/2/03 dereg attempt; and John Kerry (D-MA), who had mentioned plans to query Commissioners about a major league baseball/satellite deal which he thought would deprive viewers from access to game coverage.

1) No...I am right...there you go believing everything you read again...what you really need to do is put it all together so it makes sense.

2) This is just a rant, please bulletpoint for readabilities sake. I am a busy man.

3) whatever the FCC says, Kerry says, or whomever says...its irrelevant to me...what matters to me is this: WHO IS PAYING THEM TO SAY IT!

4) All this is you posted is more congressional point-counterpoint BS. There's enough of that out there to make anyone feel smart...lol. Like I said, its not about who is saying what, but WHY THEY ARE SAYING IT.

So in conclusion: How does your post prove anything? The lines are still fuzzy on where the influence is coming from because the drama is still playing out, but you in no way shape or form have proven anything. Your reaching again...
post #193 of 859 Old 02-02-2007, 07:25 AM

Way to assert that oversight Kerry, you loser. Thanks for the press release representation.
post #194 of 859 Old 02-03-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

TV Sports
Baseball TV deal contested
MLB is trying to move Extra Innings package exclusively to DirecTV, but there's resistance.
By Larry Stewart Los Angeles Times Staff Writer February 3, 2007 (Times staff writer Jim Puzzanghera contributed to this report from Washington.)

Red Sox Nation has spoken. A pending deal by Major League Baseball to put its Extra Innings pay package exclusively on DirecTV may have to be put on hold now, buffeted by an uprising involving baseball's most ardent fans, spearheaded by those who live and die with the Boston Red Sox.

MLB expected to announce the deal as early as next week, but that was less certain after Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) on Thursday asked the Federal Communications Commission to investigate the matter.

For five seasons, MLB's Extra Innings has offered up to 60 regular-season, out-of-market games a week on cable, through the In Demand service, as well as DirecTV and Dish Network.

Under terms of the new deal, DirecTV reportedly would pay $100 million a year over seven years for the rights to the package. In Demand reportedly had offered $70 million a year to retain Extra Innings.

The crux of the deal apparently centered on MLB's plans to launch its own channel in 2009, similar to NFL Network and NBA TV. According to a source familiar with the negotiations, MLB unsuccessfully used Extra Innings as a negotiating wedge to get cable to put the new channel on a basic tier rather than a pay tier so it could get the widest exposure possible.

Cable companies, including Time Warner in L.A., often seek to place such niche offerings on a pay sports tier so that only the customers who want them have to pay for them. Last year, a similar carriage dispute took NFL Network off Time Warner.

Sports television consultant Neal Pilson said Friday it is his understanding that, indeed, the baseball channel "was a component" in the negotiations. But, he added, "Baseball is almost religious in its financial analysis before making any deal and you can be sure there has been a lot of deliberation and a lot of research that has gone into this."

That didn't matter to fans, who have been voicing their displeasure since news of the pending deal broke two weeks ago.

Michael Abramowicz, 34, of Arlington, Va., is a law professor at George Washington University who gets Extra Innings on cable. He talked about the pending deal in a blog last week. "My reaction to this has been genuine sadness," he wrote. "Watching baseball games is my No. 1 hobby, and my house can't get DirecTV because of nearby trees. It did occur to me that if I chopped down my neighbors' trees, I would probably do a year in jail, which would leave me six years to enjoy the games."

Reached by phone Friday, Abramowicz said he would switch to DirecTV to keep Extra Innings if he could.

Ryan Hecht, 34, of Queens, a Time Warner Cable subscriber and a die-hard Dodgers fan, is in the same situation as Abramowicz. Reached by phone Friday, he said, "I'd switch to DirecTV if I could, but my landlord will not let me install a satellite dish."

The issue gained national attention when Kerry on Wednesday said he would question FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin at a previously scheduled Senate Commerce committee hearing the next day.

Kerry left the hearing early, though, and instead faxed a letter to Martin, citing concerns about the deal and contending that Extra Innings has been available to 75 million subscribers but would be available to only 15 million if DirecTV has it alone.

Of the 500,000 subscribers to the Extra Innings package last season, 270,000 were with DirecTV, according to sources. Going by those numbers, 230,000 would be left out this season.

DirecTV has a disproportionate number of Extra Innings subscribers because it caters to sports fans. NFL Sunday Ticket, by far the most popular pay sports package, has always belonged to DirecTV exclusively, and the rights fee is now a whopping $700 million a year. That package's exclusivity never caused much of an uproar among fans because it was never available on cable.

Kerry, in his letter, said, "In the case of my hometown team, Red Sox Nation stretches all across our country from coast to coast. I am concerned that this deal will separate fans from their favorite teams."

Kerry could not be reached by phone Friday, but Vince Morris, a spokesman, said the senator is taking up the fight not only because he is a Red Sox fan but because people had been approaching him, seeking answers.

"He wants to find out more facts and find out what the FCC can do," Morris said.

An FCC spokesman would not comment on Kerry's letter. The agency has some authority over cable and satellite television but generally stays out of programming issues that don't involve local content.

The FCC has allowed NFL Sunday Ticket to be offered exclusively on DirecTV since 1994. However, News Corp. has filed a request for permission from the FCC to transfer its controlling 38.5% stake in DirecTV to Liberty Media Corp in a swap of assets, and any complaints about baseball's Extra Innings deal could come up in that review.

Those involved in the deal declined to comment, but baseball executives have privately suggested that fans with cable can subscribe to the broadband package, which cost $79 last season, $100 less than what Extra Innings cost.

But Hecht, for one, isn't buying it, saying, "There is no substitute to kicking back on a couch and watching a game on a TV screen."

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/cl-sp...?coll=cl-tvent

post #195 of 859 Old 02-17-2007, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

TV Sports
'Extra Innings' Still In Play
By R. Thomas Umstead Multi Channel News 2/19/2007

Against the backdrop of pitchers and catchers reporting to baseball spring-training camps last week, Major League Baseball, DirecTV and cable operators continued to toss out mixed signals regarding the fate of the sport's MLB Extra Innings out-of-market package.

Executives close to several multiple-system operators said the cable industry late last week made a last-minute pitch to significantly increase the industry's subscriber commitment to the league's proposed channel, set to launch in 2009 the major curveball in negotiations to secure the league's out-of-market package of live games.

But other executives close to the negotiations said MLB could announce an exclusive Extra Innings distribution deal with DirecTV as early as this week.

The developments came as baseball commissioner Bud Selig said last week that whatever deal is cut would only adversely affect a small number of fans.

Executives close to the MSOs said cable has significantly increased its subscriber commitment to the launch of baseball's planned 24-hour dedicated channel, although it's unclear how big of a base has been promised.

Executives close to the negotiations said the commitment is for more households than the 15 million DirecTV subscribers that would put the planned service on the Total Choice Plus tier, part of DirecTV's proposed $700 million, seven-year offer for exclusive rights to Extra Innings, which retails for $179 per season.

Initially the cable industry, through video-on-demand and pay-per-view content provider In Demand, said it would only distribute the channel via premium sports tiers, which on average reach less than 20% of all digital subscriber homes.

In Demand executives would not comment on the matter.

DirecTV's proposed exclusive Extra Innings deal continues to set off protests from TV columnists, sports bloggers and some MLB clubs. San Diego Padres CEO Sandy Alderson told local newspaper the North County Times the deal would hurt some fans who want to watch both their local team and out-of-market games. Rightsholder Cox Communications offers Padres games exclusively to cable.

If you have satellite TV, you can't get the Padres, Alderson said. Now, if you have cable, you can't get the MLB package. And if you want both, it means adding one or the other, and it would cost quite a bit of money.

Selig weighed in last week on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike In the Morning. While no deal has been reached for Extra Innings, he said, reports of baseball fans being greatly disenfranchised if DirecTV got the exclusive arrangement are exaggerated.

I expect people to understand that we thought all of these issues out, and there's no doubt in my mind that you'll be quite surprised at how few people are affected, he said. When I look at the number of people that would be affected, it's so small.

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leid=CA6417388

post #196 of 859 Old 02-17-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Today baseball
tomorrow basketball and hockey

next week everything else.
post #197 of 859 Old 02-17-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I expect people to understand that we thought all of these issues out, and there's no doubt in my mind that you'll be quite surprised at how few people are affected, he said. When I look at the number of people that would be affected, it's so small.

This could very well be true. Baseball's market is shrinking more and more every year. Bud probably thinks attrition will take most of the subscribers anyway. MLB is dying a very slow painful death, just as the NHL is.
post #198 of 859 Old 02-17-2007, 04:26 PM

The post date on that last story is 2/19/07. it's feb. 17. what's up with that?
post #199 of 859 Old 02-17-2007, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

It is published in the issue dated Monday, CCMOO.

It is online Saturday, but delivered to subscribers starting Monday.

post #200 of 859 Old 02-17-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post

This could very well be true. Baseball's market is shrinking more and more every year. Bud probably thinks attrition will take most of the subscribers anyway. MLB is dying a very slow painful death, just as the NHL is.

Bud has proven time and time that he doesn't have a brain, so his comments are no surprise to me.
post #201 of 859 Old 02-17-2007, 06:43 PM

Thanks, Fredfa.
post #202 of 859 Old 02-17-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post

....MLB is dying a very slow painful death, just as the NHL is.

You might be right.

Yet baseball set attendance and revenue records in 2006.

It seems to me that the NHL would love to have those problems, much less DBS and cable providers fighting to throw millions of dollars at it.

post #203 of 859 Old 02-17-2007, 08:06 PM

Somehow the NHL's revenues are higher this year than any year previously.
post #204 of 859 Old 02-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Found this petition site that now has over 4,000 signatures...FWIW.
http://www.**************.com/MLBCABLE/petition.html
post #205 of 859 Old 02-22-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

survival of the fittest..... thats how it is... and come to think of it... its the sport itself who is making this decision...

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #206 of 859 Old 02-22-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

LMAO.... just read the petition.... someone signed with:

Quote:

4016. Curt Schilling Please sign with Directv since i have it

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #207 of 859 Old 02-22-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post

Somehow the NHL's revenues are higher this year than any year previously.

That, of course could speak the the small levels involved.

But do you have a source for that information?

post #208 of 859 Old 02-22-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

TV Sports
Kerry Gets Promise from FCC to Investigate MLB-DirectTV Deal
FCC Chairman gives Baseball 30 day deadline for report
(Senator John Kerry News Release) February 22, 2007

WASHINGTON, DC - Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) announced today that he has received a commitment from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to complete a full investigation of a proposed $700 million television deal that could deny many consumers the ability to watch their favorite teams. Under the terms of the proposed deal, Major League Baseball's "Extra Innings" package would only be available to people with DirectTV - potentially affecting as many as 50 million American viewers by making it hard or even impossible for them to subscribe to the service. Kerry first raised questions about the deal earlier this month, after hearing complaints from many fans who were concerned that they would suffer if the deal went through.

The promise for the investigation came from FCC Chairman Kevin Martin, in a letter to Kerry that was received today.

"This is great news and I appreciate the quick response from Chairman Martin," Kerry said today. "It's good to know that he also has concerns about a deal that has the potential to deny choice to so many consumers - all apparently in the interest of a short-term profit for Major League Baseball. I look forward to hearing a full response from the league and from DirectTV, and I remain open to working with them and other colleagues on any and all plans that further options for consumers and make it easier for all of us to enjoy our national pastime."

In his letter to Kerry, Martin wrote, "I share your concern regarding this proposed deal," and promised that once the FCC received a full briefing on the deal, it would report on "the implications for consumers and any recommended changes to the law to ameliorate any harms to consumers."

The FCC response is linked below.

2.22.07-FCC-response.pdf 25.1240234375k . file

post #209 of 859 Old 02-22-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

hey FCC how about while your at it, how about getting Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia on satellite for Christ Sakes already!!!!!!!!!!!!!? How long have Philly fans been waiting??? TOO DAMN LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #210 of 859 Old 02-22-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

I suspect that too much scrutiny on this MLB-EI deal might cause the folks at Comcast with its cable-only Philadelphia RSN and Cox, with its cable-only San Diego RSN to be very nervous.

I could see the FCC disallowing it and at the same time ending the "terrestial" loophole which keeps Comcast and Cox happy. After all, fair is fair.

Although to be really fair, cable had a shot at this deal, but refused to guarantee carriage to the Baseball Channel in 2009. DBS has never had a chance at the Philly or San Diego RSNs. Similarly, cable had shots at NFL-ST, but found it too expensive.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page