Anyone else unhappy with the direction of Network Programming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, this fall television season started off promising with an allotment of new dramas and suspenseful action-packed thrillers and thoughtful, creative ideas seemed to be the new standard. A few months later, this no longer appears to be the case. See the latest 2006/2007 cancellation list.

Network shows are being cancelled daily and being substituted for mindless game shows of all sorts. The comparisons of network programming to local radio stations are becoming eerily similar with the lack of originality and thoughtfulness. Instead networks thrive on ratings and without hesitation cancel a show in midseason, negating the possibility that certain shows need to grow, build or develop with the audience to attract a more reliable viewer base. How long should networks wait? With a lot of these cancelled shows, I guess we will never find out.

Does this trend seem to be the new norm for Network Programming? Are you happy with the quality, originality and variation of Network Programming offered today?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This has been going on forever.

Going to sign up for Dish Network?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me for a
referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #3 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
yes, I am very unhappy
post #4 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 AM

Yeah, I've been dealing with this since I was 10. Everytime I like a show, it goes off the air. There are always exceptions though.

You cannot expect all new series to stay. It is VERY common for them to get cancelled after a week, month or season. You must be new to network programming because this has been a MAJOR issue since the emergence of reality TV with Survivor, Big Brother, Joe Millionaire and such... They want ratings. Reality TV gives them that at a fraction of the cost of creating dramas and action shows.

Here's my list of amazing network TV that is still around for you to enjoy now:

Lost
Office
My Name is Earl
Scrubs
Veronica Mars
Jericho
Heroes
Family Guy
Simpsons
Desperate Housewives

Also... I'm not sure if you've realized this by now, but you are reading my sig.
post #5 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I mean look how long Seinfeld or Raymond took to catch on? No one watched Friends for the first season - then it got really big when they repeated the first season over the summer. And all of those shows turned into a huge phenom.

All I'm saying is that maybe networks need to give shows more of a chance.

Former shows I used to have a season pass to on my DVR:

Day Break ABC
The Nine ABC
Six Degrees ABC (Unofficial, but "on hiatus")
The O.C. Fox (Guilty pleassure, this show will be cancelled in February)

post #6 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

The Nine and Six Degrees were boring in my book...especially The Nine. I just couldn't get into it and I watched the first 5 episodes. It just didn't draw me in at all.

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
post #7 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The only good sign has been the sudden peak in the ratings for Veronica Mars. That only took three seasons to happen. If it had been on one of the big four, it would been gone by the end of the second season when the buzz about it faded.

The one I miss most is Justice, the show that hinted that the legal system doesn't work as well as it does on Dick Wolf's shows. Daybreak was great but it was too difficult to follow the same story over and over ("Day 4"?) so the people had voted. The Nine had an interesting concept that I liked but they were asking a lot from viewers to piece together a story from glimpses of flashbacks for a whole season.

The networks are coming up with pretty good new shows. Not a lot of people are watching them.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #8 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I concur with much of the sentiment in this thread. I'm already sick of this new wave of idiotic one-trick gameshows whose main goal seems to be chewing up as many minutes as possible without doing anything significant.

The only shows I will go out of my way to watch are 24, Heroes and BSG. The rest of the time, I'll just play videogames or engage in other hobbies, thankyouverymuch.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #9 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
To me, the other list is far more impressive.

These are new shows which received full season pickups:

30 Rock NBC
Brothers & Sisters ABC
The Class CBS
Friday Night Lights NBC
The Game CW
Heroes NBC
Jericho CBS
Men In Trees ABC
Shark CBS
Standoff (19 episodes)
Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip NBC
'Til Death Fox
Ugly Betty ABC

While there is no accounting for individual taste, it seems to me a great number of quality shows actually made it through the entire first season.

post #10 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD MM View Post

Well, this fall television season started off promising with an allotment of new dramas and suspenseful action-packed thrillers and thoughtful, creative ideas seemed to be the new standard. A few months later, this no longer appears to be the case. See the latest 2006/2007 cancellation list.

Network shows are being cancelled daily and being substituted for mindless game shows of all sorts. The comparisons of network programming to local radio stations are becoming eerily similar with the lack of originality and thoughtfulness. Instead networks thrive on ratings and without hesitation cancel a show in midseason, negating the possibility that certain shows need to grow, build or develop with the audience to attract a more reliable viewer base. How long should networks wait? With a lot of these cancelled shows, I guess we will never find out.

Does this trend seem to be the new norm for Network Programming? Are you happy with the quality, originality and variation of Network Programming offered today?

Unfortunately the networks are not to blame for this.

Blame is correctly placed on the baffoons (The masses) who make Deal or No Deal a Top 10 Show.

There is always a debate over whether we simply take whatever is given to us (The demand is a result of the only things given to us) or whether we are given what we want.

I tend to think the networks, for the most part, give the people what they want.

Since the baffoons want Deal or No Deal, every network is going to try game show mania until the baffoons get tired of it (As they did with the whole Millionaire debacle).

My point is: place blame where it is due: on the masses, not the networks.
post #11 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 47
And the word is...

"buffoon", not "baffoon"
post #12 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD MM View Post

Network programming is the major reason why my dvd collection continues to grow. I just purchased the three available boxed sets of "Have Gun - Will Travel" to help fill part of my nightly prime time viewing experience.
post #13 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it's quite frustrating. I think it's linked to the declining population that can sit down and actually read a novel. We live in a society of instant gratification and distributors more interested in numbers than in content.

Thank goodness they still produce as many sporting events as possible, with more and more of them in HD.
post #14 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

Yes, it's quite frustrating. I think it's linked to the declining population that can sit down and actually read a novel.

If they keep canceling good shows, we may have no choice but to read books.

Quote:

We live in a society of instant gratification and distributors more interested in numbers than in content.

Are you saying that these networks are trying to make money off of television by giving the viewers what they want instead of giving them what they think is good for them? Wow, when did this start?

post #15 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 03:39 PM

The canceling of good shows is annoying (Daybreak), but there are many really good shows on network TV. I do just fine with OTA only, no cable or satellite:

Grey's Anatomy
Veronica Mars
Bones
Smallville
Boston Legal
Heroes
How I Met Your Mother
Jericho
Medium
Studio 60
Cold Case

In Syndication on Fox, Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

The only show I watch that's not on network TV is Battlestar Galactica. Netflix and iTunes took care of that.

Sverre
post #16 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

I am surprised that none of you folks put House on your lists. It is about the only network program I watch.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess.
post #17 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samundsen View Post

The canceling of good shows is annoying (Daybreak), but there are many really good shows on network TV. I do just fine with OTA only, no cable or satellite:

I went 3 years with OTA only + NetFlix. Finally got the bug last summer and signed up for E*, mostly because of reception issues I have.

I'm relatively happy with the switch, but after the novelty of the Voom channels wore off I've found I still watch the networks way more than everything else combined.
post #18 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

...Are you saying that these networks are trying to make money off of television by giving the viewers what they want instead of giving them what they think is good for them? Wow, when did this start?

LOL! Not exactly. I know it sounds like a pipedream now, but there was a time when the bottom line wasn't always the biggest motivation for why something was produced and aired. You know, like when people would pick Art as a major because it was their passion rather than skip over it because it didn't have the potential for as much pay in the end.

I wouldn't say this has "started", but rather that it is dying. I'm not sure it's an entirely dead concept yet, but there's no question that it's getting increasingly difficult to find shows on the air where monetary payback isn't the number one objective. Nonetheless, I believe money does occasionally take a close second place to the desire to shape opinion, gain power or influence, or share a passion.
post #19 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

I doubt that much has changed. I recall in the 1960s a great TV series starring Richard Boone -- it was a repertory company, same players (mostly terrific), completely different story every week. It was cancelled because the sponsor (Chrysler, I think), didn't like it for some reason. Dollars always trump art.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess.
post #20 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

It's true. What happened to Acapulco HEAT, One West Waikiki, and Street Hawk was a gosh darn travesty.

Seriously...the networks have some great shows mixed in with the reality/gimicky game show crap. I'm not concerned when I can still catch new episodes of shows like E.R., CSI, L&O, or for some laughs, Family Guy and The Simpsons. Would I like to see less shows like The Bachelor? Yes. As fascinating as car wreak infernos are to see while driving, you're not suppossed to slow down to look.
post #21 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I can barely keep up with my Tivo. Plenty of good shows. There's simply too much to choose from, so some of these shows have to get cut. THe networks want a big hit.
post #22 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 09:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post

I doubt that much has changed. I recall in the 1960s a great TV series starring Richard Boone -- it was a repertory company, same players (mostly terrific), completely different story every week. It was cancelled because the sponsor (Chrysler, I think), didn't like it for some reason. Dollars always trump art.

"The Richard Boone" show lasted one season (1963-64, 9-10PM Tuesdays on NBC) and ended for the same reason most shows get cancelled -- even now.

Bad ratings.

post #23 of 56 Old 01-05-2007, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Some of the more notable early cancellations that will/have gone on to be cult favs:

Firefly
Arrested Development
Family Guy (Until they brought it back recently)
Twin Peaks
Futurama
Freaks & Geeks
Keen Eddie
Invasion
Dark Angel
The OC
Day Break

post #24 of 56 Old 01-05-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Futurama is also coming back, on Comedy Central.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #25 of 56 Old 01-05-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

LOL! Not exactly. I know it sounds like a pipedream now, but there was a time when the bottom line wasn't always the biggest motivation for why something was produced and aired. You know, like when people would pick Art as a major because it was their passion rather than skip over it because it didn't have the potential for as much pay in the end.

And what years of television are you talking about? We're talking about the business of television, not picking a college major. Television has always been about paying for eyeballs.

I'd say the business of network television has improved over the years. In the beginning most shows relied on one major sponsor to fund the whole show. No sponsor, no show. You don't see Leno or Letterman plugging sponsor products between interviews, do you?

Then the rating system was adopted which allowed networks to make shows for viewers, not individual sponsors. As long as people watched, the show at least had a chance. Over the years the rating system has been imrpoved and refined so even shows with niche audiences can stay on the air. That's why the Simpsons has been on the air forever despite not getting especially high ratings. If this change had happened sooner, Star Trek probably wouldn't have been canceled. It had been hitting a dream audience, but not a large enough one and at that time the networks only cared about the number of viewers, not who the viewers were.

Quote:

I'm not sure it's an entirely dead concept yet, but there's no question that it's getting increasingly difficult to find shows on the air where monetary payback isn't the number one objective.

The people who work at these networks get a pay check just like we do. You're telling them to take a pay cut to give you the shows you want. This is unrealistic.

Quote:

Nonetheless, I believe money does occasionally take a close second place to the desire to shape opinion, gain power or influence, or share a passion.

List some prime time network shows where this was the case.

post #26 of 56 Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 AM

At least most of those shows got to go out with some dignity. Anyone remember what they did to "Boomtown"?
post #27 of 56 Old 01-05-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolittle View Post

At least most of those shows got to go out with some dignity. Anyone remember what they did to "Boomtown"?

I remember some of it. The rest I couldn't find amongst all the scheduling changes. Still doesn't compete with Emily's Reasons Why Not for embarrassing cancellations though.

I'm quite happy with network television at the moment. There's more than enough variety amongst my comedy and drama left on air to keep me happy almost every night of the week. And that doesn't include "reality" shows and quiz shows which I both hate.

There's SF, offbeat comedy, feelgood comedy/drama, character based drama, crime shows, medical shows ...

post #28 of 56 Old 01-05-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

I concur with much of the sentiment in this thread. I'm already sick of this new wave of idiotic one-trick gameshows whose main goal seems to be chewing up as many minutes as possible without doing anything significant.

Haha, I couldn't agree with this statement more. I can't watch these stupid shows anymore. You could DVR it and shrink it down to probably 15 or so minutes of actual half way interesting material.

I think one of the main shows I would miss would be Justice. It was an interesting view of the Criminal Justice world and what attourneys do to get their clients off. The other aspect I really like was them showing what actually happend at the very end.
post #29 of 56 Old 01-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

I have been upset with network programming for awhile now -- especially when it comes to sports. I remember not so long ago when NBC was covering college basketball on Saturdays and Sundays. And it wasn't just the BCS schools. You'd see matchups like Dayton vs. Depaul or Big 5 matchups like Temple and Nova. Many games ended up being some pretty good basketball to watch -- much better than pros, and in fact the ratings were better than competing NBA broadcasts on CBS.

Now, if its not a BCS school it doesn't get on TV. The NBA and the oversaturation of the NFL has really dominated network television. Its too bad.
post #30 of 56 Old 01-05-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc10forlife View Post

I have been upset with network programming for awhile now -- especially when it comes to sports. I remember not so long ago when NBC was covering college basketball on Saturdays and Sundays. And it wasn't just the BCS schools. You'd see matchups like Dayton vs. Depaul or Big 5 matchups like Temple and Nova. Many games ended up being some pretty good basketball to watch -- much better than pros, and in fact the ratings were better than competing NBA broadcasts on CBS.

Now, if its not a BCS school it doesn't get on TV. The NBA and the oversaturation of the NFL has really dominated network television. Its too bad.

I grew up in Arkansas right at the time of the Razorbacks (under Eddie Sutton) rise as a major program. I can recall NBC carrying a "national" game and a regional game (SWC). Most all the national games were of the UCLA-Notre Dame,etc variety. In 1977 the Razorbacks were on TV three times (2 NBC regional, and a syndicated NCAA tourney game). There were exceptions, we got to see the Missouri Valley championsip game here during the late 1970's-early 1980's, but little or no SEC, or even Big 8.

ESPN has all those non-BCS conferences, although the games are not in prime spots (often late nights, or on weekends on the sister ESPN2 and ESPNU networks) and so does the regional FSN and CSTV. I do agree that CBS regular season coverage is pretty limited, but nowdays the games have more appeal on primetime cable than afternoon network TV.

Its been a while since NBC did CBB, and it was mainly ND games towards the end.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page