CES Report 2007 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 79 Old 01-07-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I am going to use this thread to provide HD-related information from CES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 01-07-2007, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A description of the dual-format HD-DVD and Blu-Ray player is in this thread.

LG says they are the world's largest producer of flat panel TVs and they are announcing a dozen new 1080P models at the show including a 100" LCD.

They say they are adding 9 new 1080P LCDs including a new 57".

They are dropping the price on their 71" 1080P plasma to $14,999

Most of their press conference was spent discussing the multi-format player.
post #3 of 79 Old 01-07-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pioneer is using the show to debut a new Plasma technology avaible this summer. It involves a reengineered panel, new color filter, and a new ASIC video processor. They will be demoing a prototype in side-by-side comparisons with their current plasma line and they said it would be noticably better. They say the new device has
- much better blacks
- brighter picture
- less ambiant glare
- much more appealing looking in brightly-lit CE stores

No products or prices were mentioned but they said they are positioning Pioneer as the company with the BEST PICTURE QUALITY. They said many consumers would not be able to get their sets (presumably due to price) but they will leave the store knowing that Pioneer has the best picture quality.

They also mentioned an AV Receiver w/ HDMI switching and a half-height Blue-Ray drive.
post #4 of 79 Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

Pioneer is using the show to debut a new Plasma technology avaible this summer. It involves a reengineered panel, new color filter, and a new ASIC video processor. They will be demoing a prototype in side-by-side comparisons with their current plasma line and they said it would be noticably better. They say the new device has
- much better blacks
- brighter picture
- less ambiant glare

No products or prices were mentioned but they said they are positioning Pioneer as the company with the BEST PICTURE QUALITY. They said many consumers would not be able to get their sets (presumably due to price) but they will leave the store knowing that Pioneer has the best picture quality.

This is great news re: Pioneer. I just wish they would produce a 1080P PDP larger than 60". The extra size of the 65" Panny 1080P PDP is getting harder to resist.
Bish
post #5 of 79 Old 01-07-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

- much better blacks
- brighter picture
- less ambiant glare

Upstream processing is usually most important to image quality.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #6 of 79 Old 01-07-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Toshiba spent the first half of their press conference taking about their new line of HD-DVD players. You can read about their new players in the CES press forum.

Then they spent the remainder of the time promoting their LCD technology. Toshiba realizes (like pretty-much all the non-plasma-exclusive manufacturers) that LCD is the big growth area in displays and they plan to push that hard in 2007. They announced their new LCD display lines at the show which is something they rarely do. They said that is because they will be releasing them much earlier in 2007 than usual (some will be available in March and others in April, May, and June).

Some features of their new LCD line are:
- special anti-blurring logic to help improve the images on poor quality source material.
- they dynamically reduce LCD backlighting on certain areas of the screen when appropriate to help get darker blacks. They are doing this on all the new displays.
- they use motion vector frame interpolation to create 120Hz. They spent time showing the different options for artificially changing from 60 to 120 Hz and showed why their technology is superior to others.
- they claim these eliminate most of the advantage plasma has over LCD today.

They said 60,000 HD-DVD units have been sold thru to customers at this time.

They are predicting "severe" market growth in 2007.
post #7 of 79 Old 01-07-2007, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Philips used their press conference to promote 3 technologies.

1. Ambi-light which they aready have and proudly stated they had sold the millionth unit. They highlighted that with a diamond-surrounded display that the ambi-light glistened off of. Kind of cute but gimicky.

2. Ambi-Sound. They gave a great demo of surround sound capability coming from a new surround system.

3. AmbiBX - a new gaming station designed to significantly increase the gaming experience. It involves a cool sound system and fans (yes the kind that blow air) which help make a more realistic gaming experience. I couldn't see this very well from where I was sitting but they had fans throughout the theater and I sure could feel it.

They also stressed the importance of processing over screen resolution for overall video quality perception (isn't that what you just said Ken?). They said reasearch shows it is 3 times more important (not sure how they figure that, though).
post #8 of 79 Old 01-07-2007, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sharp's big announcement was a new 108" 1080P LCD they say will be available this summer. They claim they currently have the biggest LCD available today (65" and this will be the biggest when it comes out. No prices but they said they can see several commercial markets for it.

They also stressed their manufacturing capability with a new plant just now operating increasing to full capacity soon.

They announced their new line of LCDs starting with their D92 series which boasts:
- 15,000:1 contrast ratio
- 4MS access time
- 120 Hz
- lots of inputs
- 42", 46", 52", and (maybe later, I'm not sure) a 65"

They said LCD TVs 46 and above (the big ones) will surpass Plasma this year.

They are adding a 1080P gaming system designed to reduce the lag time between console and display.

They also announced 2 new from projectors available in February.
post #9 of 79 Old 01-07-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This probably isn't a big surprise to most but I wanted to say it appears that LCD is really going to be the display story of the show. I have seen several manufacturers and CE research which all shows flat panel is the future (no surprise) but while growth in plasma is expected to be fairly small, growth in LCD is huge. I haven't heard Panasonic yet, but everyone else I've seen other than Pioneer is pushing LCD and wants to get it on the action. I haven't even heard rear projection mentioned once yet. Still lots more to go, though.

Another technology that is mentioned more than I expected is Navigation systems. That's another big growth area expected.
post #10 of 79 Old 01-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

I think many manufactures should take notice of the success of the 32inch 500$ price point on Black Friday for the LCD. I know the margins are small at that price but thats where the mass market volume will be. I think LCD is the tech to be able to hit that price and size that spurs HD adoption like it did this xmas. Even my Mom is asking about LCD TVs now.

Fredfa-"I agree with generalpatton78 "
post #11 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

A description of the dual-format HD-DVD and Blu-Ray player is in this thread.

Wrong link, buddy

Wolfie
post #12 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 AM

E* press conference at 10. D* press conference at 11. Looking forward to reports from those.
post #13 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hitachi announced a new 50" Plasma with 1280x1080 resolution priced at $2500. They claim this is the same price point as other non-1080P sets but with a better picture. They expect to sell 2 million in 2007. I think we need to carefully watch how they promote this so it doesn't cause the unsuspecting to think they are getting full 1080P.

They also anounced the industrie's first 1 Terabyte hard disk drive for PCs and eventually for DVRs starting in Q1 2007 for $399.

They also announced a new hybrid camcorder with an Hard Disk and DVD burner. It's not HD, though, so I was barely interested.
post #14 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Samsung spent a good part of their press conference promoting the new mobile video possibilities that A-VSB will provide. They are demoing it live at the show. They say they are trying to convince more broadcasters to use it.

When I pressed them about the affect on HD viewers by those affiliates who choose to do this, they said it is really up to the stations. They said the standard is very broad and gives them considerable flexibility.

This seems like really bad news for OTA HD advocates. I will try to find out more when the show starts.
post #15 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hitachi announced a new 50" Plasma with 1280x1080 resolution priced at $2500. They claim this is the same price point as other non-1080P sets but with a better picture. They expect to sell 2 million in 2007. I think we need to carefully watch how they promote this so it doesn't cause the unsuspecting to think they are getting full 1080P.

Hitachi should do a marketing tie-in with DirecTV HD. Same resolution.
post #16 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Above I mentioned I thought most manufacturers are trying to jump on the LCD growth bandwagon, but that doesn't seem to be true for Panasonic, Hitachi, and Pioneer. They have a group called the Advanced Plasma Display Panel Development Center Corporation and are planning a press conference on Tuesday to promote plasma. Of these three, only Hitachi mentioned LCD in their press conference and and that was only at the small sizes.

Panasonic spent a good portion of their press conference trying to convince all that plasma is much better than LCD and also that the negatives of plasma are myths or overrated. They are clearly on the defensive.
post #17 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sony has a 27'" OLED prototype on display at their booth. I got a peak at it yesterday at their press conference. I have to say it truly is amazing. Bright, clear, and incredibly thin. That's the first I have seen OLED of any significant size and I don't know much about it. There was no mention of it in their press conference (I am pretty sure).

They also have several smaller OLED displays that seemed like they were about a quarter inch thick. My first impression is that this is the new technology to watch (now that SED seems to be dead for now). I will try to find out more about it soon.
post #18 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The forum has been hard to get on this morning to file reports. Server busy. I'll keep trying when I get a chance.

Guess you all are eating up all the info in all the forums. I am at the show and don't get to see what all is being posted by others so I hope I am not wasting time on stuff you all already know.
post #19 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Comcast and TiVo Showcase PVR Service at CES

http://www.pvrwire.com/2007/01/08/co...t-ces-finally/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #20 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Came across this colorful image (~1/2 down the page) on the developmental Sony OLED display Rich mentioned. Seems it's capable of the deep blacks, which contribute to image 'depth', that can also be delivered by phosphor-based SED-type displays, again delayed from market introduction this year. -- John
post #21 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
IS there NO live coverage on TV?
post #22 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Comcast and TiVo Showcase PVR Service at CES

http://www.pvrwire.com/2007/01/08/co...t-ces-finally/

Hopefully this is not something that takes another 6 months to get out. I would love Tivo2Go for my recorded programs

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #23 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Rich -

Please keep posting when you can. Lots of good info.

Thanks!
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #24 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DIRECTV says 2007 is the "Year of HD". They have agreements or agreements in principal with HDTV version of 70 major networks including A&E, Bravo, Cartoon, CNN, Food, FX, HGTV, MTV, National Geo. NFL, Sci Fi, Speed, TBS, History, Weather, USA.

They said most will be online in 3rd quarter. When asked about mentioning some channels that haven't announced HD, they said this is the list so presumably all these channels will be HD by then.

When asked how they would be priced they said some would be in the HD package, some premium, a mix.

They also will have the retional sports networks in HD.

They said they have no schedule for dropping MPEG-2 but said it wouldn't be this year and perhaps a couple years.
post #25 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DIRECTV says 2007 is the "Year of HD". They have agreements or agreements in principal with HDTV version of 70 major networks including A&E, Bravo, Cartoon, CNN, Food, FX, HGTV, MTV, National Geo. NFL, Sci Fi, Speed, TBS, History, Weather, USA.

They said most will be online in 3rd quarter.

If this list is accurate, a number of these would be new high profile national HD channels that have not reported as coming anytime soon before: Bravo, CNN, Sci-Fi, Weather channel, USA, any others? If these do happen, I hope Verizon FiosTV adds them in the same time frame as DirecTV, especially CNN-HD and SciFi-HD.

Maybe 2007 will instead be seen as the year of the HD bandwidth crunch really hit for the cable providers.
post #26 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Swanni-style prediction: cable will move even more analog channels to digital.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #27 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Will any of the new HD channels be available to customers MPEG2 boxes, e.g., the DirecTV HD Tivo?
post #28 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Another technology that is mentioned more than I expected is Navigation systems. That's another big growth area expected.

Actually there was a report last week that this was the surprise Christmas Hit of 2006 in the stores.

www.mbc-thebridge.com

RETAIL GPS unit sales continued their unheard-of growth in November, says the NPD Group, with the segment growing 437 percent year-over-year in the U.S. Revenues also increased by 168 percent. During the week after Thanksgiving - known now as Black Friday - GPS unit sales boomed 670 percent reflecting a 262 percent increase in dollars.
post #29 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Will any of the new HD channels be available to customers MPEG2 boxes, e.g., the DirecTV HD Tivo?

I doubt it. All the new stuff is going to MPEG4 only. Which means, one way or another Dtv will make the HD Tivo's obsolete.

Dtv is hyping these new channels a bit too much. What they don't say is that they are counting on the launches of DTV10 and DTV11 bird in the summer to bring the capacity they need. With a July launch schedule, figure in a couple of months for testing the new birds and we are basically into Fall before any of these new national HD nets are live.
post #30 of 79 Old 01-08-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Not according to the D* news conference. They want to move everyone to MPEG4 and within a couple of years turn off MPEG2 completely.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page