Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
11:03am PST - It's starting with a terrible looking video that looks stretched on the projector.

They turn the lights on and John Gieselman Sr VP of Adverts and Public relations takes the stage and introduces Chase Carry a Pres and CEO of DIRECTV.

2006 Highlights reaching 59% of the country with HD locals and 94% of the country with SD locals.
He goes on and on about their accomplishments in 2006.
2006 setup 2007 where HD is the most imporant. they are launching 2 new Sat middle of this year, which would enable them to add 150 Nation channels and 1500 Local Channels. Local channels htorugh the US. new Exclusive sports programming and On Demand as well as interactivity.

HD will set them apart from the other providers and have agreements in principle with more than 70 national networks.
CNN, USA, Sci Fi, Weather Channel, Food Network, TBS, Cartoon Network, Speed, FX and all Premium Services.

11:14am PST - Steven Roberts VP, GM of DIRECT Games & Strategic Initiatives takes the stage.
They start a video about Game chapionship series, the sound is way too loud and very distorted.
The video looks like a reality TV show about pro-gamers and will be in HD in February on DIRECTV.
11:20am PST - This is a new league and will be like other professional sports complete with a draft.
Eric Shanks VP of DIRECTV entertainment takes the stage.
He lets the audiance know he is on baby watch and every claps.

He talks about how essentail the new H20 is to their stradagey, what a scary thought.
The connectivity of the unit is imporatnt for the features that DIRECTV wants to bring to market including DIRECTV On Demand.
They believe current offers are too complicated wtih too many menus and they are going to show us the service.
On demand channels will be 1000 higher than the curent channel. Interface looks great, but the video is choppy. The networks design the VOD pages. Ch 1000 will be the DIRECTV on demaind home page with a global search. When you add a show to the queue it will find the show either on your STB or download via the Sat.

Guide will have G-message or Guide message in the guide, watch out Google!

It will go into beda in March and be available to the public middle of the year.

11:28am PST, Start to talk about SAT-GO.
You turn it south and when it starts to beep you have a signal, anywhere you go. If you are inside you can use it as a DIRECT receiver in your house. It also includes a few inputs, including a iPod.
A-list customers will get the unit in April the rest later this year.

11:33am PST, NASCAR Hot Pass only on DIRECTV recently launched, they believe this will be comparable to NFL Sunday Ticket. Each week they will produce 5 dedicated driver channels. They show a promo, like the rest they are stretched and over-compressed.

Taken From: http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/l...ss-conference/

Thinks the NASCAR hotpass will be the NFL sunday ticket of NASCAR. People dont really goto the race to watch the race. Says people want to watch their favority driver, not the leader.

They are going to produce 5 dedicated driver channels. Starting at Daytona, Directv will produce 5 new channels, 30 extra cameras, and dedicated announcers for each driver. Each channel will watch one driver the entire race.

Shows a NASCAR hotpass video. Again loud and flashy. Says NASCAR will be the leading sports programming. Fastest growing spectator sport. NASCAR hotpass will take you closer than every before.

All cameras on the channel will only show that driver, showing all pit stops etc. 5 cameras per channel will capture footages from the track, pit, and inside the car. Hear driver communications and strategy. Dedicated announcers for each channel and real time race statistics and leaderboard.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO comes back on and says they are looking at what customers wants and providing that to the customer. Thinks it will be a great year for them.

First question, something about new HD channels and the price structure.

Channels will be part of an HD package. Still determining the best way to price the package. Premium movies will be extra etc. Look and feel like the packages offered today.

Says some of the HD networks dont exist today (CNN etc), some launch dates 3Q 2007.

updates still coming

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Must be broadcasting in HD lite
post #3 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 11:40 AM

Its not sounding like DTV has too much new to announce. We all have known for years about the new sats later this year. This realistically means they won't have any new national HD programming until late summer/Fall at best. Also, H20 still cant compare to HD-TiVo.
post #4 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Good line, steve!

exchguy: while I much prefer the interface on my HD Tivos, I find the PQ better on the HD20s. So saying the HD20 still can't compare to the HD Tivo doesn't really cut it for me.

It is a valid opinion, (and certainly shared by legions of hard core TiVo fans) but certainly not a hard fact.
post #5 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
No mention of the HMC? Is all were were told about HD the new channels they have signed with once those are live?

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #6 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Isn't the H20 just the HD reciever, not the DVR?
post #7 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

DirecTV sees 100 HD channels, Net videos in '07 55 minutes ago

Top U.S. satellite television operator DirecTV Group Inc. (NYSETV - news) plans to announce on Monday it has secured agreements for 60 high-definition channels from major TV networks, as part of a goal to launch 100 HD channels in 2007.

These channels, expected to debut in the third quarter of 2007, will include HD versions of well-known networks including those owned by General Electric (NYSE:GE - news)-controlled NBC Universal and Time Warner Inc.'s (NYSE:TWX - news) Turner Networks, executives said.

The news will be part of a roster of announcements at the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week, where DirecTV will also discuss plans to allow subscribers to connect to Internet videos from their home computers as well as a portable version of its service that fits in a suitcase called Sat-Go.

"All of these add-ons that enable new features are fantastic," Eric Shanks, executive vice president of DirecTV Entertainment, said in a phone interview ahead of the announcement.

But, "Where the world is going is into HD. None of the wireless products is going to bring you 100 channels of HD. Once you have standard definition content, these things help you share it."
post #8 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Any news of when they'll be done f**king up the HR10 and HR20 firmwares and permanently fixing all the bugs?
post #9 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post

Isn't the H20 just the HD reciever, not the DVR?

right, The HR20 is the DVR, and it is much better than the HD Tvio. Better picture quality with Mpeg 4, better interface, much faster. The bugs have been worked out for the most part.

Tivo is going the way of the dinosaur.
post #10 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I liked the part where they said that their HD PQ was superior and everyone is happy with it. SO who else is leaving if the PQ doesnt improve?
post #11 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe View Post

Better picture quality with Mpeg 4, .

Better than what? OTA HD? sorry dont think so. And at the moment HD LIL is the only mpeg4 they have.
post #12 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Better than what? OTA HD? sorry dont think so. And at the moment HD LIL is the only mpeg4 they have.

lol, who's talking OTA? I'm talking Mpeg4 which the hd tivo doesn't have. Thought that was pretty clear. Seeing how there are plenty of great network shows in mpeg4 to enjoy, it's a pretty huge improvement over the hd tivo.
post #13 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

actually, across all local channels in nyc, there is no difference between ota hd and mpeg 4 hd via either an h20 or an hr20 on directv. none whatsoever. local mpeg 4 in nyc is EASILY as good as ota...

i'd do a little direct, 1st person research before saying things like that...
trust me, directv's mpeg 4 local offerings (at least in nyc) are indeed the real deal. except for the goddamned nets (yes hd) broadcasts, which, when they're on, are pixelated to all hell for some freaking reason. but i digress...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #14 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

CES seems like the perfect opportunity to ask some tough questions of D*. Will it happen? Get them on the record about 12x10 and HD Lite already. Ask them to define "1080i" in terms of horizontal and vertical resolution.
post #15 of 257 Old 01-08-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah i'd love to have gone to hammer them a bit. there was one thing at the keynote that bothered me as well. someone asked if directv would support 1080p24. the guy said no, but then went on to say that they have "plans to exceed what a tv can support". what the hell does that mean?

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #16 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I liked the part where they said that their HD PQ was superior and everyone is happy with it. SO who else is leaving if the PQ doesnt improve?

We are in trouble.
post #17 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I have heard through the grape vine that one of the cable providers down here is moving quickly to be on par with FIOS. That may be tempting.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #18 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Official press release:

DIRECTV to Offer 100 National HD Channels in 2007

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 8, 2007--DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is hailing 2007 as the "Year of HD" with the planned launch and carriage of 100 national high-definition (HD) channels. With this substantial HD muscle, DIRECTV will offer three-times more HD programming than any other multi-channel distributor, with the majority of these channels launching in Q3.

DIRECTV also announced today that it currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle, with more than 70 major networks including:

-- A&E
-- National Geographic
-- Bravo
-- NFL Network
-- Cartoon Network
-- SciFi Channel
-- CNN
-- Speed
-- Food Network
-- TBS
-- FX
-- The History Channel
-- HGTV
-- The Weather Channel
-- MTV
-- USA Network

DIRECTV will also extend its leadership in HD sports programming by offering hundreds of games and other HD programming available from Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) around the country, including YES Network, Comcast Sports Net, New England Sports Network and FOX Sports.

To satisfy the insatiable appetite for a greater number of movies in HD, DIRECTV will offer an expanded line-up of HD programming available from all premium movie channels.

"This is DIRECTV's break-out year for HD," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "The launch of our two new satellites will complete the largest capacity expansion in DIRECTV history, and no other video service will be able to match the sheer volume and quality of our HD programming. With HD adoption now reaching critical mass in the U.S., and 40 million homes projected to have HD-capable TVs this year, DIRECTV will be uniquely positioned as the best choice for HD programming."

With the launch of DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11 satellites in 2007, DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.

DIRECTV currently offers standard-definition local channels in 142 markets, covering nearly 94 percent of television households in the country, as well as local HD broadcast channels in 49 cities, representing more than 65 percent of U.S. TV households.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 15.6 million customers through exclusive content, industry-leading customer service (which has surpassed cable for six years running) and superior technologies. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy over 250 channels of 100% digital picture and sound; exclusive programming and the most comprehensive collection of sports programming available anywhere including NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), and MLB EXTRA INNINGS(TM). DIRECTV (NYSE: DTV) also leads the digital television technology revolution with exclusives such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan(TM), US Open Interactive and YES Network Interactive and will soon have the capacity to offer over 150 channels in HD. For the most up-to-date information on the Company, please visit directv.com.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....332&highlight=

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #19 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
hmmm, if those channels are going to be mpeg4 exclusive, then I guess it's goodbye hdtivo for me...
post #20 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Will any of the new national HD channels on DirecTV be available to those of us who hold onto our MPEG 2 (HR10-250 Tivo) tuners as long as possible?
post #21 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Will any of the new national HD channels on DirecTV be available to those of us who hold onto our MPEG 2 (HR10-250 Tivo) tuners as long as possible?

Most likely not. All of the new birds for HD will be Mpeg 4.
post #22 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hurry up directv.... i am sick and tired of waiting.....

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #23 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I hate to give up my Tivo but I guess it is inevitable if I stay with D*. I have to say it is pretty impressive what they are going to be offering but icomes down to PQ and and their DVR as to wheter either are going to be any good in the future. I will wait on the sidelines and see what people think as things get rolled out and decide at that time as FIOS should be available by then in my town.
post #24 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 07:15 AM

I bet they have to have sign the the voom networks to get to that high of number. Man, I wish that Directv 10 was going up next month.
post #25 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

You won't miss you HD Tivo after a few days. Once you get used to the new DVR it's a huge improvement over the old tivo. Honestly all I miss are the "boop boop boop"s.

That said, wait tillthey offer you a free exchange.

Of course if your tivo were to "break" they would most likely give you the new DVR for free.
post #26 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will be leaving. I'm beyond disapointed with the quality of local HD for certain. And not overally impressed with the rest.
post #27 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe View Post

You won't miss you HD Tivo after a few days. Once you get used to the new DVR it's a huge improvement over the old tivo. Honestly all I miss are the "boop boop boop"s.

That said, wait tillthey offer you a free exchange.

Of course if your tivo were to "break" they would most likely give you the new DVR for free.

You may very well be right on this but I have read mixed reports on it so I am still holding off. The other big issue I have is with the install it seems to me over the years that D* installers hate their jobs don't show up after I have taken a day off and if they show up they do crappy work. I am tired of the BS that goes along with being a D* customer but I guess I would be foolish now to leave with what is coming this year but again I will wait and see what the response is after everything is rolled out.

D* is so far from the company they used to be 11 years ago when I signed up with them and doubt it will ever be any better along a lot of fronts with them.

I also am curious about what the charge is going to be for all this HD didn't hear anything about that at all.
post #28 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

This is probably the wrong thread to bring this up, but has anyone thought about the HR20 HD storage capacity and having access to over 50 HD channels?

I sure hope the external USB SATA drive connection works. I can't remember on the HR20.
post #29 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 AM

Good point -- capacity will be a problem. I record a lot of stuff that I consider filler since it is non-HD that I pretty much only watch when I am out of new stuff (happened a lot during the Holiday re-run season). I will definitely have to scale back on the filler now that it will be in HD and will take up real space.
post #30 of 257 Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

You may very well be right on this but I have read mixed reports on it so I am still holding off. The other big issue I have is with the install it seems to me over the years that D* installers hate their jobs don't show up after I have taken a day off and if they show up they do crappy work. I am tired of the BS that goes along with being a D* customer but I guess I would be foolish now to leave with what is coming this year but again I will wait and see what the response is after everything is rolled out.

D* is so far from the company they used to be 11 years ago when I signed up with them and doubt it will ever be any better along a lot of fronts with them.

I also am curious about what the charge is going to be for all this HD didn't hear anything about that at all.

I agree on all counts. Some people are still having probs with the new DVR, so if you don't "need" to upgrade yet, it's not a big deal. D* is being proactive though, using dbstalk as a "fix-it" forum, and addressing complaints and glitches that some are still having.so it's bound to be smoother over the next couple months.

And yeah the install situation sucks. I don't know if that's exclusive to D* thogh. They go with the lowest bidder, and you pretty much get what you'd expect. SUbcontractors overbooking installs... Oveworked, underpaid guys who don't always know as much as they should.

You can request senior techs and such, or someties you just get lucky and get a good one. Our last installer busted his butt for about 6 hours, and we ended up giving him a big tip and fresh-baked cookies. SO you never know what you'll get.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page