Battlestar Galactica on UniHD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am late to the Battlestar Galactica revival party and am trying to catch up on Netflix. Someone please help me out:

I am knee deep in Season 2 right now and am not sure what is up with season 3.
Is UniversalHD playing Season 3 from the beginning or are these new unreleased epsidoes?

Does UniHD play the first run episodes at the same time as SciFi network?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 01-15-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
No, they do not play them at the same time as SciFi.

This Sat they will be running the "where we left off" show summing up S1&S2 and then they will run S3 from the beginning next week, catching up and overtaking SciFi, straight through to the end of S3.

I know others don't like the wait, but I prefer it better this way.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #3 of 63 Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks for the assist.

So has season 3 completely aired on SciFi already or they are on hiatus/break in the middle of it?

Thanks for the clarification
post #4 of 63 Old 01-15-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
No, the second half of season 3 starts on Sci-Fi this coming Sunday, the 21st.

Scott
post #5 of 63 Old 01-15-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 53
It all depends on what you want to do. If you absolutely insist on watching BSG in HD only, then tune in on Universal HD (or DVR it) and watch the episodes there, and stay off the forums here to avoid any potential spoilers.

Some of us are watching it on both SciFi and UniHD so that we can: a) keep current with the storyline, b) go back to watch the earlier S3 episodes (in HD) to catch all the nuances that are lost from the SciFi channel version.

Not really a spoiler, but the visual effects from the episode "Exodus, Part II", should be outstanding in HD!
post #6 of 63 Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ok, I looked over the websites and with the help here I think I have it figured out.

SciFi has the first-run episodes airing Sundays at 10pm. The second half of Season 3 is starting up.

On UniversalHD they are airing the beginning of Season 3 starting January 27.

I would prefer to watch them in glorious HD and widescreen so I will just wait for season 3 on UnivHD.

Thanks everyone for the help!
post #7 of 63 Old 01-15-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Not really a spoiler, but the visual effects from the episode "Exodus, Part II", should be outstanding in HD!

Indeed they are. That episode is nominated for a Visual Effects Society award in the Outstanding VFX for a Broadcast Program category, and the VFX supervisor gave a presentation on it this weekend as part of the awards "bake-off".

The HD version of the show was screened on a Christie Digital Cinema projector on a screen that was at least 40' wide. Looked VERY nice. The VFX crew on that show does an amazing job. Better than a lot of feature films.
post #8 of 63 Old 01-21-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally got around to watching 2 recordings I made last Sat. night from what I guess is season 1. There were 2 separate 2-hour blocks with the Guide descriptions different for each listing. The episodes didn't carry a title, just a "Part 1 of two" for the first and "Conclusion" for the second.
What confuses me is that the content of each was identical. Anyone else catch these shows who can explain to me what happened? Was there a programming error by UHD, or what?
post #9 of 63 Old 01-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I think what you saw was one half of the pilot miniseries originally aired as two 2-hour episodes. There was a screwup in many of the programming guides.
post #10 of 63 Old 01-21-2007, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect60 View Post

I think what you saw was one half of the pilot miniseries originally aired as two 2-hour episodes. There was a screwup in many of the programming guides.

Yeah, but the Guide info was OK. It was the content of each 2-hour slot that was duplicated. Glad to know I wasn't delusional - or, did anyone else see it as I did?
post #11 of 63 Old 01-21-2007, 07:34 PM

I'm recording the new episode airing on Sci-Fi tonight, but I'm deliberating holding off to watch it on UHD. Anyone have any idea when the new episode will air? I know they are starting to air Season 3 on UHD Saturday.
post #12 of 63 Old 01-21-2007, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 44
VFX,
Who do you work for?

My best friend worked on the last two nominated episodes of BSG.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #13 of 63 Old 01-22-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

VFX,
Who do you work for?
My best friend worked on the last two nominated episodes of BSG.

I work for Stargate Digital. Does your friend work for Zoic or Atmosphere? Either way, spectacular work on BSG all around.
post #14 of 63 Old 01-22-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I work for Stargate Digital. Does your friend work for Zoic or Atmosphere? Either way, spectacular work on BSG all around.

Neither, he works for Mediumedge. He knows his website needs updating. He was at Zoic and did the character animation for the Doom episode (that is what I call it, as I can't remember the name). He then got a nice contract gig that I call the neverending job. After that, he wants to work on his game Bad, Bad Bots. When BSG went in house, he discussed working with them again doing the Cylon animation, but it went nowhere. I guess they were happy with their current guy. Judging by last nights episode, they may want to reevaluate their decision.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #15 of 63 Old 01-22-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

then they will run S3 from the beginning next week, catching up and overtaking SciFi, straight through to the end of S3.

WAIT A SECOND MISTER!!!

You mean to say that Universal HD's broadcast of BSG Season 3 will OVERTAKE SciFi to the end of S3?

Do you mean those of us who watch it on SciFi because we can't wait for the delay will actually at some point get to watch new eps on Universal HD?

Your post above implies that Universal HD's broadcast of S3 will at catch up to SciFi, thus allowing us viewers on SciFi to enjoy new episodes on UHD.

Please confirm. Thanks!!!
post #16 of 63 Old 01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

WAIT A SECOND MISTER!!!

You mean to say that Universal HD's broadcast of BSG Season 3 will OVERTAKE SciFi to the end of S3?

Do you mean those of us who watch it on SciFi because we can't wait for the delay will actually at some point get to watch new eps on Universal HD?

Your post above implies that Universal HD's broadcast of S3 will at catch up to SciFi, thus allowing us viewers on SciFi to enjoy new episodes on UHD.

Please confirm. Thanks!!!

Did you miss the big smiley he had in that statement?

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #17 of 63 Old 01-27-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So season three has just started on UHD and what the hell? No 5.1 sound? The only show UHD regularly aired with 5.1 sound is now simple stereo. Maybe 5.1 will be a bonus feature on the DVDs or something.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #18 of 63 Old 01-27-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

So season three has just started on UHD and what the hell? No 5.1 sound? The only show UHD regularly aired with 5.1 sound is now simple stereo. Maybe 5.1 will be a bonus feature on the DVDs or something.

My recording shows it to be 5.1, although I don't think there was a lot of surround action tonight due to the lack of space battles. Did you show it only as 2.0 or were your comments directed to the lack of use of the rears???

John M
post #19 of 63 Old 01-27-2007, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There was absolutely no center channel, except during the car commercial. Can't screw that up!

Like most networks, UHD always sends 5.1 even if the source is monophonic.

post #20 of 63 Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 PM

Apparently from what I've heard SciFi will be broadcasting in HD later this year so things should be broadcast at the same time come late this year.

PSN: Araxen
post #21 of 63 Old 01-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

What?? No one has mentioned/complained about the gigantic bug promoting "Jaws" during the early sequence as the former president was writing in her diary. The bug obliterated someone's name in those opening credits.
post #22 of 63 Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxen View Post

Apparently from what I've heard SciFi will be broadcasting in HD later this year so things should be broadcast at the same time come late this year.

We hear this rumor every year.

Even if SciFi went HD, it's unlikely every cable system would carry it immediately. It took years for my system to get UHD.

post #23 of 63 Old 01-28-2007, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even if SciFi went HD, it's unlikely every cable system would carry it immediately. It took years for my system to get UHD.

I think what is different this time is that both D* and the Sci Fi channel have issued press releases saying that Sci Fi HD will be up this year.
post #24 of 63 Old 01-28-2007, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

This show needs more aeriel dogfights, and less political message.
post #25 of 63 Old 01-28-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by noleintheburg View Post

The show has always been this way.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #26 of 63 Old 01-28-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

It's no rumor. It's planned to be launched this fall. There have been press releases from both DirecTV and Sci-Fi to that effect. DirecTV will carry it right away along with 30+ other HD channels.

Scott
post #27 of 63 Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:

What DaveFi said. You obviously don't "get it". The action sequences are stellar, and it's amazing what they've been able to accomplish on a limited basic cable budget, but the show has always been about allegory, as all great science fiction is. It's not a wiz-bang, shoot 'em up action show; it's a thinking-person's show. And there is no "message". The political issues grow organically out of the desperate situation the humans find themselves, and the need for humans to band together and try to maintain some semblance of order and structure no matter how grim the circumstances. Those desires sometimes follow unpredictable lines. It's simply the most subtile and nuanced show on television, as the critics have been saying for 3 years now. I honestly feel sorry for folks who don't watch this thing.
post #28 of 63 Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

I was hoping it would get more sci-fi, at this point its kind of lost me, the plot about who may or may not be a cyclon, is not interesting (to me, if it interests others then more power to them), I kind of like the main plot to be the scrappy underdog humans, fighting impossible odds against the mean robots.....I think the show would be better suited if they actually found Earth at some point, and Earth was advanced enough to ally with their human brethren and take the Cylons down...instead they try to make us feel for the cylons, and when it goes that way, it sort of losses the reason for the show.

Needs to be B/W, good vs Bad...end of story.
post #29 of 63 Old 01-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

What DaveFi said. You obviously don't "get it". The action sequences are stellar, and it's amazing what they've been able to accomplish on a limited basic cable budget, but the show has always been about allegory, as all great science fiction is. It's not a wiz-bang, shoot 'em up action show; it's a thinking-person's show. And there is no "message". The political issues grow organically out of the desperate situation the humans find themselves, and the need for humans to band together and try to maintain some semblance of order and structure no matter how grim the circumstances. Those desires sometimes follow unpredictable lines. It's simply the most subtile and nuanced show on television, as the critics have been saying for 3 years now. I honestly feel sorry for folks who don't watch this thing.

See my post above, and you would be better suited to be more tolerate of people's likes and dislikes when it comes to television, you love the show, great, but don't insult me cause I am not walking in step with your thinking.
post #30 of 63 Old 01-28-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:

See my post above, and you would be better suited to be more tolerate of people's likes and dislikes when it comes to television, you love the show, great, but don't insult me cause I am not walking in step with your thinking.

Oh c'mon. I'm not insulting you at all. Just pointing out that if you're looking for a video game version of sci-fi, as you implied by your post, you're looking in the wrong place. That's not what this show is all about, and as I tried to explain, that's not what great sci-fi is ever all about. You don't know the genre. And anyone who thinks it has some political "message", beyond what flows organically out of the plotline, is really missing the boat.

Think of it like opera. I saw one once and wondered why there wasn't more fighting and less singing. I didn't "get it"; and that's fine. I concluded opera wasn't for me, and wouldn't have felt insulted by anyone who told me so. Perhaps sophisticated, nuanced science fiction just isn't for you.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page