Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From our interview with CBS' Marty Franks:

CBS: No HDTV Guarantees For Cable
The network's executive vice president says cable operators must pay "fair market value" for high-def channels or else.
TVPredictions.com

Washington, D.C. -- CBS Executive Vice President Martin Franks says the network will not say it will never force a cable TV operator to remove its High-Definition channels from its lineup.

In an interview with TVPredictions.com, Franks said: "I will not make that commitment. If someone won't pay us the fair market value for our HD signal, I won't commit to (allowing the cable operator to continue to offer the channel to its subscribers.)."

Franks made his remarks in response to a TVPredictions.com commentary on January 25 that said the FCC should order a binding arbitration in a current local station/cable operator dispute over standard and high-def channels.

The Baltimore-based Sinclair Broadcast Group pulled 22 local TV stations (standard and HD signals) from Mediacom cable systems this month when talks between the two companies broke down.

The broadcast group wants Mediacom, a mid-size cable operator in the Midwest, to pay for the right to carry their standard and high-def signals. The cable service is refusing because it notes the signals are available for free via off-air antennas.

The TVPredictions.com article on Jan 25 noted that CBS has urged the FCC not to order a binding arbitration, which has been requested by Mediacom. (Sinclair has refused the arbitration offer.) The FCC's Media Bureau has endorsed arbitration, but says it will not require it.

The TVPredictions.com article also speculated that CBS opposed the arbitration because it wanted to preserve the option of withholding the high-def signals at their owned and operated local stations if they ever faced a similar disagreement with a TV provider.

Franks disputed that contention, but reiterated he would not commit to never withholding the network's high-def signals.

Asked if CBS would accept a binding arbitration in a future dispute with a cable operator, Franks said arbitration "should only be for national emergencies such as labor strikes."

Read More:
http://www.tvpredictions.com/franks012907.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
CBS has already stated that they will seek cash - not just for HDTV, but for their analog feeds as well.
post #3 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
TV is big business now. And, all the re-sellers....Cable, satellite, FiOS, etc have been quoted, saying they are making big bucks by re-selling HDTV programming. They pay everybody for it.

But, you can get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and CW....plus, PBS....for free. If you know the secret.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #4 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

But, you can get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and CW....plus, PBS....for free. If you know the secret.

You mean that antenna thingy? Nah.. They'd rather pay cable or satellite for a lesser quality signal month after month after month for something that is free..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #5 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Hasn't Les Moonves been saying precisely this for well over a year? What is new?
post #6 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

LOL ... here we go again.

And the other "secret" is no you can't get them for free if you intend to watch anything on USA, SciFi, TNT, ESPN ... etc, etc even if you have an antenna thingy.

I find it "interesting" that DirecTV (now and still under the management of NewsCorp aka FOX) is implementing "mandatory LiL (if available)" for all programming packages ... how convienient is that, especially as a weapon to club 'BigEvilCableCo' into submission. Bonus points for being able to take a slice from all points along the route ... It's a good thing Rupert is fleeing the DBS field, because this looks like an anti-trust "disaster" waiting to happen.

OTOH, I suppose there's still BUD for free from broadcast-station basic "cable" ... as long as you aren't interested in HDTV that is.

In any case, it's time to stop claiming local TV is free ... just stop it before the throbbing vein on my forehead expodes.
post #7 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 AM

Paying the cableco or DBS for USA, SciFi, TNT, ESPN, etc. doesn't make the OTA local affiliates any less free.
post #8 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Considering how bad my local HD looks, I'd pay for it if they gave me real HD. Until then I'll keep using "the secret."

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #9 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Paying the cableco or DBS for USA, SciFi, TNT, ESPN, etc. doesn't make the OTA local affiliates any less free.

It does if you also have to pay for local carriage in order to get USA, SciFi etc. You have to pay for the locals even if you don't watch the locals - there's no other way to interpret that.

But your "right" if one *never* wants to watch:

Battlestar Galactica
The Closer
Monday Night Football
Psych
Monk
The Shield
Rome
Deadwood
L word
Life on Mars
Dr. Who
.... and the list goes on ...

then yeah, one can get their locals for "free" if you also ignore the cost of reception equipment.
post #10 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:14 AM

That's your choice to buy something you are already getting for free. I can get those flat wooden paint stirring sticks for free at Home Depot or Lowe's paint departments by just asking for them. I suppose I could also go to Target and buy some. That doesn't mean that the ones I regularly get for free can no longer be considered free.

..... even if I was pressed for time and Target is much closer - and I needed some Vitamins and DVDs as well.........
post #11 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's your choice to buy something you are already getting for free..

No ... it most certainly is NOT my choice ... and the throbbing vein is just about there ... go ahead push it a bit further.
post #12 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 AM

If you believe the anti-a la carte crowd, you are willingly purchasing a package of programming that is fairly priced based on demand. Switch to a company that doesn't add in, or charge for, programming that you do not need or want. If you can't find such a company, that isn't the local broadcasters fault.
post #13 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you can't find such a company, that isn't the local broadcasters fault.

I'm just about ready to start launching obsenities here, so this will be my last post ... for a while at least.

NewsCorp controls several production companies, FOX-TV, O&Os in all the major markets, and DirecTV ... once D* fully implements "mandatory LiL" it's game over, light's out. Other providers (cablers and DBS) have no choice but to cave into local broadcasters' demands at that point. It's a brilliant strategy, but it's also one that leaves the end "consumer," ie the viewing public with essentially no realistic options.

PS: ... and if you believe there has been no smokey backroom crosschatter between the various MegaMediaCorps on this strategy, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
post #14 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Another TV prediction: More old news will be revealed.
post #15 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

the throbbing vein is just about there ... go ahead push it a bit further.

If that happens, can we get some pics?

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #16 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

one that leaves the end "consumer," ie the viewing public with essentially no realistic options.

...except an antenna for all their free locals available completely free of charge for no fee whatsoever.

Waiting for that vein to burst.
post #17 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...except an antenna for all their free locals available completely free of charge for no fee whatsoever.

Waiting for that vein to burst.

Ah .... must be comedien in our midst ...
post #18 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CBS has already stated that they will seek cash - not just for HDTV, but for their analog feeds as well.

Let 'em try and I really hope the cable and satellite providers refuse to pay up. I don't know the numbers for sure*, but if I were to guess, the order of viewers (high to low) would be like this:

Cable
Satellite
Antenna

How do local companies survive ?? Advertising dollars..... Will they give up their cable viewers for an extended period of time in order to attempt to get paid by the cable companies ?? I doubt it. The cable companies can put a banner in place of the now-gone channel saying "Call the station to complain....". Their phone systems will have an option "If you're calling because channel "X" is no longer carried, press '1'".

To a lesser extent, the same applies on satellite.

* I've heard numbers like 100 million TV households with approx 60-65% cable, 25% satellite (makes sense given D* and E* having 12-13 million each), and the remaining antenna.
post #19 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 10:45 AM

That's quite a sense of bravado considering the fight has already been decided. Satellite has been paying for years, and the cablecos are just starting to agree to cash payments.

Also keep in mind that many people refused to switch to satellite without local channel availability. It is a major draw, and people will switch to DBS if the cablecos no longer carry them. If niether did, you'd see antennas popping up everywhere.
post #20 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If niether did, you'd see antennas popping up everywhere.

That, I don't believe. You've surely tried to explain "HDTV" to the average layman, have you not ?? Almost everyone I've told initially doesn't believe you use "those old antennas". Outside of these forums, I don't think people are too big on the idea of installing antennas either.... Even if locals were dropped from someone's cable or satellite provider, most won't invest in an antenna, installation, supplies, etc on the assumption "they'll work out an agreement soon".
post #21 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 191
How about those of us that due to terrain issues can'y get OTA HD? I can get the CBS affliate in Philly and that's it. I have huge hill up the street which completely blocks the line of sight. A neighbor can't even get that. perhaps when some of the locals goes to VHF that will change. So, some of us, at leasdt for now, can't get it for free, even when we install a roof top "secret".
post #22 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

So, some of us, at leasdt for now, can't get it for free, even when we install a roof top "secret".

Sounds like you need to harbor a bigger secret.

All kidding aside, I get my NBC and Fox affiliates very well. However, the same weird "metal in the hills" and RF issues that prevent any cellular company from allowing me to have service at my apartment also prevents me from getting a usable signal on CBS and ABC. If I go a few blocks one way or another, the signals for all radio, TV and cellular services jump up to full strength. Lucky for me, D* provides the D* locals.
post #23 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

All kidding aside, I get my NBC and Fox affiliates very well. .

Here, I get all 9 locals perfectly with a square shooter that doesn't have to be moved.

Bob

post #24 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

That, I don't believe. You've surely tried to explain "HDTV" to the average layman, have you not ?? Almost everyone I've told initially doesn't believe you use "those old antennas". Outside of these forums, I don't think people are too big on the idea of installing antennas either.... Even if locals were dropped from someone's cable or satellite provider, most won't invest in an antenna, installation, supplies, etc on the assumption "they'll work out an agreement soon".

The only reason we all stopped using antennas was because there was a more convenient alternative to get our local stations (more accurately - our national broadcast network programming). If they were no longer available via an MSO, I guarantee they would be popping back up. That doesn't make it all of a sudden more convenient, or less a PITA - but people will deal with it in order to get the Big 4.

If you think an antenna, installation, supplies, etc. is a hurdle too big to overcome for it to become mainstream (again) - how do you explain the 25 million DBS customers who tolerated the same things along with a stiff monthly tab to boot?

Obviously if people think they'll "work out an agreement soon", they may wait to act - but my statement was if both DBS and cable didn't carry locals. Before too long (probably before the next Super Bowl) the majority would have an antenna installed.
post #25 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you think an antenna, installation, supplies, etc. is a hurdle too big to overcome for it to become mainstream (again) - how do you explain the 25 million DBS customers who tolerated the same things along with a stiff monthly tab to boot?

Didn't cost me a penny (for installation) for going with satellite... That's been the case with satellite for a number of years too, free installation and free equipment. Yes, I know, years ago people had to buy the equipment and pay for installation..... Years ago the cable companies charged for installation too....
post #26 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any one (or more of):

1) Extreme frustration with their local cable company
2) Quality of analog locals on cable not worth $10-15$ they asked for. (compared to OTA a/o just ignoring network TV.)
3) Very Naughty Bits

Furthermore, the "moving movement," "the northern states solutions" and the "illegal DNS" episodes prove that while folks might want their NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC ... they really don't care whether it comes from 5 miles up the road or 3000 miles across the continent ... as long as it doesn't come from one of those big ugly hunks of metal on the roof. Ironically, folks seem to be a bit more receptive to ever growing in size pizza-pie dishes. ... "It's a mystery "
post #27 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 03:10 PM

You both are overlooking the primary driver - the desire for network programming. People paid for an antenna, cable, DBS in the past in order to get programming. Frustration with your cable company won't motivate you to switch to DBS if there also isn't a desire to get or maintain programming.

If an antenna became the only way to get the programming - that's exactly what people will do.
post #28 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

If an antenna became the only way to get the programming - that's exactly what people will do.

...just like in the old days when it WAS the only way?
post #29 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by various bits from HDTVChallenged View Post

And the other "secret" is no you can't get them for free if you intend to watch anything on USA, SciFi, TNT, ESPN ... etc, etc even if you have an antenna thingy.

No ... it most certainly is NOT my choice ...

PS: ... and if you believe there has been no smokey backroom crosschatter between the various MegaMediaCorps on this strategy, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Strange, I have no problem not subbing to LiL via E*, currently .... The programming packages are still listed on their website with+without locals as well ...

Is there some reliable word that is going to change?

Jeff
post #30 of 168 Old 01-30-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only reason we all stopped using antennas

All of us didn't .......

Jeff