Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From The M8B:

As previously noted, CBS Sports will cover all games in HD.

Typically, Flex Regions cover 80%-90%, while Constant Regions cover 10%-20% of the US.

For each Window or Time Slot:
- If the local affiliate is in a Flex Region, they will broadcast the game is HD.

- If the local affiliate is in a Constant Region, they will upconvert the SD Constant Feed.

This provides the most HD possible, while keeping the programming Correct regarding locality.

The decisions as to which games go where remain as in the past with HD exactly following the SD network. (As always, local affiliates may deviate from this.)

Everything from the Regionals on will be 100% HD, Flex and Constant as it was last year.

Oh, I guess nobody picked up the fact that CBS NCAA Basketball was 100% HD since the 1st of the year?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
I was unaware forum rules allowed posters to say anything nice about CBS Sports, Ken
Old 03-09-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Must be a change to give those stone age slackers any credit.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I predict complaints during the first 4 days from people who see all the games but their one of local interest in HD. I wonder if any local stations will babysit their HD feed using the flex HD feed of the game of local interest then cutting to the SD upconvert when they switch games.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It'd be nice if the Winthrop game in Columbia, SC is in HD...if not, oh well...if so it'll be a nice bonus.

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
Old 03-09-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

I was unaware forum rules allowed posters to say anything nice about CBS Sports, Ken

Fortunately, The M8B has a lifetime exemption from all rules and regulations.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncxcstud View Post

It'd be nice if the Winthrop game in Columbia, SC is in HD...if not, oh well...if so it'll be a nice bonus.

I'm hoping so.

I've got two girls in Winthrop this year - looks like they have a chance for their first tournament win. (Although they should have got one last year)
Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

What Winthrop game are you guys talking about in Columbia, SC? Are they playing a game between their tournament and the NCAA's?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:59 PM

Ken,

Do I understand constant region correctly: In Baltimore the Maryland game will be a constant region, so we get upconverted coverage, while my family in Pittsburgh is a flex market and gets HD. That seems odd that the home markets get worse coverage than the rest of the country. However, if so, I think I understand the technical reasons.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

What Winthrop game are you guys talking about in Columbia, SC? Are they playing a game between their tournament and the NCAA's?

I think he meant to say that he hopes the Winthrop game will be in HD in Columbia Sc...
Old 03-10-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper1 View Post

I think he meant to say that he hopes the Winthrop game will be in HD in Columbia Sc...

Why would they be playing in Columbia, SC?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
OK, so am I the only one that doesn't understand this? Why do some games need to be an SD upconvert if they are all produced in HD? What does this mean to the D* Mega March Madness coverage?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake14mw View Post

OK, so am I the only one that doesn't understand this? Why do some games need to be an SD upconvert if they are all produced in HD?

Limitations on HD control rooms and satellite space. They are in the process of rebuilding everything for HD.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Why would they be playing in Columbia, SC?

Broadcast in Columbia in HD - not played in Columbia.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Limitations on HD control rooms and satellite space. They are in the process of rebuilding everything for HD.

With today's broadcast it proves they need a upgrade it is just horrible
Old 03-10-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

With today's broadcast it proves they need a upgrade it is just horrible

The PQ is not related to CBS's control rooms or transmission (they use high bit rates) but rather the trucks and the video operator(s) they are using. With so many games we'll probably see a wide variance of PQ.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

The PQ is not related to CBS's control rooms or transmission but rather the trucks and the video operator(s) they are using. With so many games we'll probably see a wide variance of PQ.

A strong disagreement! All of the broadcasters share the same pool of remote trucks, and they are all roughly equal in their ability to produce quality video.

PQ has EVERYTHING to do with transmission, especially the "bit throttle" that is used by your local provider. Arena Lighting, Floor Color, and Photog's Strobes are the other variables.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post

A strong disagreement! All of the broadcasters share the same pool of remote trucks, and they are all roughly equal in their ability to produce quality video.

PQ has EVERYTHING to do with transmission, especially the "bit throttle" that is used by your local provider. Arena Lighting, Floor Color, and Photog's Strobes are the other variables.

I've seen HUGE variances in PQ from different trucks and cameras. IMO in general the Sony cameras (900 and 1500 series) seem to make the best images. I've seen good pictures from LDK6000s too. Video can vary quite a bit by how the video operator sets the cameras. Obviously environmental conditions play a role. The backhaul and fronthaul bitrates that CBS uses are high (40+ Mb/s) and their digital infrastructure should not limit the PQ. Aside from the local encoding by the station, transmission is probably the smallest part of the variances in PQ on these games.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Broadcast in Columbia in HD - not played in Columbia.

Ahh.. That makes sense, thanks.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There are a lot of variables, period, for March Madness.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I'm hoping so.

I've got two girls in Winthrop this year - looks like they have a chance for their first tournament win. (Although they should have got one last year)

My wife graduated from Winthrop and my brother-in-law currently goes there. So, I'm vested into it as much as I can (I root for Newberry College football [my alma mater] and Winthrop basketball. I still think they could've received a higher bid, but we'll see. I think they can beat Notre Dame it's the next game they have to worry about...

And yes, I hope the game is broadcast in HD in Columbia, SC. I know the game won't be played anywhere near here.

Though, I read in the State paper (or somewhere online) that WLTX-19 will be broadcasting all the games on 19.1 - 19.3. Hopefully the Winthrop game gets precedent. It IS the only team from South Carolina in the dance...

EDIT: I pray for those caring about games played at UNC...there court color is terrible for my eyes...that yellow wood is ugly...

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

From The M8B:

As previously noted, CBS Sports will cover all games in HD.

Typically, Flex Regions cover 80%-90%, while Constant Regions cover 10%-20% of the US.

For each Window or Time Slot:
- If the local affiliate is in a Flex Region, they will broadcast the game is HD.

- If the local affiliate is in a Constant Region, they will upconvert the SD Constant Feed.

This provides the most HD possible, while keeping the programming Correct regarding locality.

The decisions as to which games go where remain as in the past with HD exactly following the SD network. (As always, local affiliates may deviate from this.)

Everything from the Regionals on will be 100% HD, Flex and Constant as it was last year.

Oh, I guess nobody picked up the fact that CBS NCAA Basketball was 100% HD since the 1st of the year?

I understand the logistics of having to do it this way, however, it seems like a some points we could have less HD than last year because of this. If games A, B, and C are all blowouts, everyone who began on these games as flex feeds will be taken to game D (in HD). However, once the flex feeds are moved to game D no will have HD access to games A, B, or C unless they become competitive again (I would assume this would be the case even for DirecTV as they get their feeds from CBS just like the afflilates do).

So they could be producing a game in HD, but at some points no one will have access to see it in HD. Correct?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlr_1977 View Post

I understand the logistics of having to do it this way, however, it seems like a some points we could have less HD than last year because of this. If games A, B, and C are all blowouts, everyone who began on these games as flex feeds will be taken to game D (in HD). However, once the flex feeds are moved to game D no will have HD access to games A, B, or C unless they become competitive again (I would assume this would be the case even for DirecTV as they get their feeds from CBS just like the afflilates do).

So they could be producing a game in HD, but at some points no one will have access to see it in HD. Correct?

DirecTv gets a direct feed from CBS and will have access to all the games in HD at all times.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:27 AM

This all sounds very confusing to me.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:

DirecTv gets a direct feed from CBS and will have access to all the games in HD at all times.

If that's the case, they why can't the local afflilates pick up those same feeds? Or is DirecTV picking up the HD backhaul feeds?

Based on Ken H's post I assumed CBS would have the following feeds:

4 SD "flex" feeds
4 SD "constant" feeds
4 HD "flex" feeds
Old 03-12-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

This all sounds very confusing to me.

What do you find confusing? I understand the plan so maybe I could clear up your confusion.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Since there are no NY Metro area teams in this year I guess it doesn't matter for me via WCBS, but is this saying that if your local team is playing, and the affiliate won't cut away from that game regardless of the score, you will get the game in upconverted SD instead of HD?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

Since there are no NY Metro area teams in this year I guess it doesn't matter for me via WCBS, but is this saying that if your local team is playing, and the affiliate won't cut away from that game regardless of the score, you will get the game in upconverted SD instead of HD?

That is what it sounds like
Old 03-12-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:

What do you find confusing? I understand the plan so maybe I could clear up your confusion.

Just explain it with an example. Say the Georgetown game locally here in DC compared to, say, the Villanova/Kentucky (not specific local interest) game airing in DC. Are you telling me that we won't get HD coverage of Georgetown locally (but others will), but we would for Villanova/Kentucky (while, for example, Philadelphia area people wouldn't)? That's just baffling.

Also, how does this effect the D* package?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

Just explain it with an example. Say the Georgetown game locally here in DC compared to, say, the Villanova/Kentucky (not specific local interest) game airing in DC. Are you telling me that we won't get HD coverage of Georgetown locally (but others will), but we would for Villanova/Kentucky (while, for example, Philadelphia area people wouldn't)? That's just baffling.

Yea, that sounds correct. The same is happening to me with Michigan State.

Quote:

Also, how does this effect the D* package?

That's what my question is. homcom said that DirecTV gets the feeds directly from CBS. So unless they are getting the backhaul feeds (which the affiliates don't use because they don't contain any commericals), I'm not sure what feeds DirecTV are getting.