AVS Forum banner

Cycling in HD

15K views 170 replies 51 participants last post by  ti-triodes 
#1 ·
This year will be my first cycling season with an HD TV and one thing I really want to see this year is one of the major cycling tours in HD. Seeing the suffering up close and personal and the mountain passes in 1080 glory would be awesome.

Is there any cycling shot and broadcast in HD or am I going to have to suffer in blurry SD hell?

-Craig

#27 ·
Somewhere out there is an article discussing how the tour organization tested in HD last year and that the technology was helped by HD.

Then there is this on HDTV UK Site "This year's Tour de France, running from 7th-29th July, will be shot in high definition by France Télévisions. It will have its own dedicated channel, broadcast via cable, satellite, DSL, and (potentially) digital terrestrial."

and

"

News in english

First Tour de France television broadcast completely in HDTV in France

As it was announced by French publicly owned television station France Télévisions, this year's Tour de France between July 7th and 29th will be completely broadcasted in high definition TV standard HDTV (High Definition Television) via DVB-T for the first time."

#28 ·
I've emailed my local Time Warner folks repeatedly the last couple months asking if they planeed to add VS HD to the lineup in time for the tour...not even the courtesy of a "canned" reply so far....looks like time is growing short for it to happen now.

#30 ·
Since Versus is doing the Tour in HD, I wondered if D* was going to give us the HD feed so I asked them. Here's their reply:

"Thanks for writing. While Versus HD is one of the many channels we plan on

adding this fall, we won't have the ability to bring you their high definition

coverage of the Tour de France in July. Stay tuned to directv.com/hdtv for the

latest news and announcements as they become available.

Sincerely,

Jay H.

W2773

DIRECTV Customer Service"

#32 ·
I posted earlier some links to artices about how they tested last year and they said that the HD and digital microwave transmissions improved the signal. You can goolge it. I am no engineer. There are a lot more knowledgeable people on this forum.

I guess we just have to wait 2 weeks to see. I'd love it if it was all in HD. That would make my July.

#33 ·
You guys don't know how badly I want to fly over to England and see the London to Cambridge stage. We honeeymooned in England last June and my wife said, " no way are we going over there 2 years in a row."

Plus gas is $8US a gallon and everything else is incredibly expensive.

The PQ is the only thing that mars my enjoyment of the Tour. It is washed out and contrasty.

Let's hope we get some improvement in quality and if we get full HD it would be amazing.

#35 ·
I took a quick look this morning and there is nothing listed on any of the channels in the 90's that were used for Versus HD during the hockey season on D*. FWIW, many of the HD games shown on those channels during the playoffs didn't appear in the schedule until within a day or less of game time. There shouldn't be a capacity problem since the race is on in the morning when the channels are certainly NOT being used for MLBHD. I haven't watched much on Versus since hockey season ended, has anyone seen any adds for the TdF which mention HD coverage???

#40 ·
Not HD in any channel guide

#43 ·
Versus promised to broadcast TDF in high-def and now has obviously backed out without any explanation. It's hard to understand because French TV is providing a high-def feed. VersusHD is an almost total waste of HD bandwidth on Comcast since so much of its programming is SD.

#45 ·

Quote:
There are news articles out there saying the organization is putting it out in HD. I wonder if those articles are correct or not?

I guess that begs the proverbial philosophical question; if the Tour broadcast is produced in HD, but nobody gets to see it in HD, is it actually in HD?

I wonder if anyone in Europe is seeing HD coverage?

#47 ·
This is what Versus said in May when Cablevision added VSGLF-HD

"We are thrilled that Cablevision is adding VERSUS HD to its channel lineup," said Gavin Harvey, President of VERSUS. "High definition is the most valuable real estate in television and now millions of viewers in the New York area will be able to see VERSUS' best-in-class programming like the NHL and Tour de France in crystal-clear hi def."

http://www.cablevision.com/index.jhtml?id=2007_05_23

So then why are we getting this in SD today Gavin?

And now at noon VSGLF switched to Golf so we can't even get the ending in upconvert.

WTF?

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM /forum/post/0

And now at noon VSGLF switched to Golf so we can't even get the ending in upconvert.

WTF?

If you can find the old threads about when VSGLF was announced, each day, Versus has certain time slots and the golf channel has certain time slots.

They wouldn't make changes for the NHL playoffs, so they certainly won't make changes for the tour de france.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.