Cycling in HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 164 Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have felt that even though it is shown as SD because of the HD feed the quality is much better than in years past. It is crisper and not as fuzzy as it had been in years past.

-Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 164 Old 07-08-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayest View Post

I'm glad that Versus has those rights.

I agree. I think their coverage is wonderful. Certainly I'd like HD but I doubt I would trade their coverage for someone else's in HD.
post #93 of 164 Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare-air View Post

I have felt that even though it is shown as SD because of the HD feed the quality is much better than in years past. It is crisper and not as fuzzy as it had been in years past.

-Craig

What provider do you have? Here on Comcast, down the street from the Googleplex, the 'SD' channel and 'HD' channel are equally as bad, so to save space on my TiVo I've opted for HD.

Just wish my recording for yesterday morning didn't cut off just as the break-away got into Nantes. (Which is where I saw my first Tdf in person.)

erik g
post #94 of 164 Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare-air View Post

-Craig

I agree the PQ is a little better on Versus HD that on the SD channel. Thats not saying much though. The SD quality on the HD channel is still really bad, much worse than, for example, an SD sports show on ESPN HD. I am quessing that is has something to do with the equipment used to convert between European and US broadcast standards.

The quality of the show itself is still great, especially if you watch the morning telecast where Phil and Paul are the announcers.

Part of the attraction of the TDF is the beautiful French countryside, it would be great to see it in HD.
post #95 of 164 Old 07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
HD cameras used for SD delivery after format conversion ensure crisper SD because of the oversampling/downconversion process, which puts more area under MTF curves, as this column's Fig. 1 illustrates (by Adam Wilt). Notice the same thing--dramatically--viewing matches from The Golf Channel. I've tuned in Versus/TGC-HD from NYC's TWC to watch this year's upconverted 4X3 1080i biking briefly. Suspect I'd tune in frequently if Versus was delivering true-1080i. -- John
post #96 of 164 Old 07-09-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaugh View Post

The quality of the show itself is still great, especially if you watch the morning telecast where Phil and Paul are the announcers.

I always catch the live call and both of them are entertaining even on the flat stages. A few years ago I viewed one of the nightly enhanced coverage shows and it simply didn't have the same charm.

I look forward to seeing the many castles and quaint towns in HD not to mention the screaming peloton! However until then I'm still hooked and can't wait until the mountain stages.
post #97 of 164 Old 07-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Don't forget to buffer your recordings once they hit the mountain stages tomorrow. They always run late by at least an hour.
post #98 of 164 Old 07-12-2008, 06:33 PM

The TDF highlights show that airs on Sundays on CBS is tagged as "CBS HD". This week, it airs from 2-3pm ET. I think it might air after the golf out west.
post #99 of 164 Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 PM

2:00 p.m., Tour de France (CBS HD)

This is what it says at cbssports.com, but it isn't in HD in Syracuse.
post #100 of 164 Old 07-13-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVidTVWatcher View Post

2:00 p.m., Tour de France (CBS HD)

This is what it says at cbssports.com, but it isn't in HD in Syracuse.

No HD here in San Diego as well.
post #101 of 164 Old 07-13-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
No HD in Cleveland.
I have not been keeping up with this years race, can't get versa. Only read a little on Velo-news page.
It was a very difficult program to follow.
Part history show, part news show, very little racing.

Kevin
post #102 of 164 Old 07-14-2008, 02:14 PM

Liked: 15
I don't think there is anything Versus can do about the race not being in HD. Don't they get the same race feed that everyone in the world gets?
It won't be until the tour organizers buy all new HD cameras for the mortorcycles and helicopters. Also, the pictures already break up in the mountains and through the trees, HD would use much more bandwidth and would probably break-up even more.

I think the picture breakups occur less than previous years because they use an airplane to transmit the feed to instead of just the helicopters. This may only help in the cloudy/foggy conditions where the helicopters can't fly but the plane cruises overhead at a higher altitude.

Versus could have all their own coverage (from their mobile studio and rider interviews) in HD but the race itself can't be upgraded to HD until all the various cameras on the course are upgraded.
post #103 of 164 Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV2TiVo View Post

I don't think there is anything Versus can do about the race not being in HD. Don't they get the same race feed that everyone in the world gets?
It won't be until the tour organizers buy all new HD cameras for the mortorcycles and helicopters. Also, the pictures already break up in the mountains and through the trees, HD would use much more bandwidth and would probably break-up even more.

I think the picture breakups occur less than previous years because they use an airplane to transmit the feed to instead of just the helicopters. This may only help in the cloudy/foggy conditions where the helicopters can't fly but the plane cruises overhead at a higher altitude.

Versus could have all their own coverage (from their mobile studio and rider interviews) in HD but the race itself can't be upgraded to HD until all the various cameras on the course are upgraded.

The host feed of the Tour is in HD.
post #104 of 164 Old 07-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

It could be an issue of getting the HD feed overseas. It could also just be a Versus budget issue. Who knows... I'm still enjoying the Tour regardless.
post #105 of 164 Old 07-14-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99ag View Post

It could be an issue of getting the HD feed overseas. It could also just be a Versus budget issue. Who knows... I'm still enjoying the Tour regardless.

Budget and availability of production resources would be the leading candidates for why its not in HD on Versus. Published reports have said it is because of the lack of a full time Versus channel.
post #106 of 164 Old 07-25-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Tour de France is being shown in HD in Europe on Eurosport HD (including the UK now it has launched on the Sky HD platform)

Eurosport HD shows a lot of SD upconverted to HD, but the TDF stuff has a "Full HD" logo and looks to be HD - though the host graphics seem to be SD upconverts (very soft and complete with some ringing - suggesting they've been through something analogue - though not composite - on the way) Eurosport are adding their own graphics in HD and they are MUCH sharper.
post #107 of 164 Old 07-25-2008, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

my brother just got new directv hr21 receivers with the mpeg4 channels to replace the older hr10-250 that had mpeg2 only.

it listed the versus channel as 603 and the versus/golf HD channel as 604. checked the guide Tuesday evening and it had cycling 7-10p, listed on both channels, not in hd nof course. I did check 604 and even though it listed Cycling it was showing golf instead. no biggie. just wanted to see if it had a better sd pq then the regular 603 channel.

So does directv even show Cycling on the 604 channel in sd anytime, like the morning program or what??

maybe next year the US will get Le Tour in HD, another year of hopeing.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #108 of 164 Old 07-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

it listed the versus channel as 603 and the versus/golf HD channel as 604. checked the guide Tuesday evening and it had cycling 7-10p, listed on both channels, not in hd nof course. I did check 604 and even though it listed Cycling it was showing golf instead. no biggie. just wanted to see if it had a better sd pq then the regular 603 channel.

So does directv even show Cycling on the 604 channel in sd anytime, like the morning program or what??

The problem is with the VSGLF-HD channel itself. Sometimes, when showing taped programs, the program being shown does not match the listing in the guide. For the most part, live events are shown as scheduled.
post #109 of 164 Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Lance is making a comeback to race in 5 events including Le Tour in 2009 .

Maybe Versus will be able to show the 2009 Tour De France in HD if Lance is gonna race in it..........

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #110 of 164 Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

Looks like Lance is making a comeback to race in 5 events including Le Tour in 2009 .

Maybe Versus will be able to show the 2009 Tour De France in HD if Lance is gonna race in it..........

That would rock. Should bring more eyes for the sponsors so maybe it will happen. I can watch an entire flat stage because the countryside is so beautiful. In HD, forgetaboutit.
post #111 of 164 Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
VERSUS HD PROGRAMMING
NHL
World Extreme Cagefighting
PAC-10 College Football
Tour De France
(new in 2009)

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/con...st_HDGuide.pdf

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #112 of 164 Old 03-08-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Versus had coverage of stage 1 of Paris-Nice in HD today. Coverage during the week will be on their website only, but they will air coverage of stage 8 next Sunday 5-7 EDT.
post #113 of 164 Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

I watched Paris-Nice yesterday as well. It was definitely widescreen, but was it HD? Video of the race looked SD (at best) to me, but when they had full screen graphics it definitely looked HD. Either way, I hope this carries on with other races and especially Le Tour.
post #114 of 164 Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I watched the very beginning of Paris-Nice yesterday and I don't remember it being in HD. I recorded it so I'll see for sure whenever I get around to watching it.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #115 of 164 Old 03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayest View Post

I watched Paris-Nice yesterday as well. It was definitely widescreen, but was it HD? Video of the race looked SD (at best) to me, but when they had full screen graphics it definitely looked HD. Either way, I hope this carries on with other races and especially Le Tour.

I agree that the graphics looked HD. As for the race coverage one aerial shot definitely looked SD, but the rain made it hard to tell for the finish line and motorcycle shots. The finish line fixed cameras looked better but that could also be from being wired as opposed to RF. My provider (Cablevision) also jams Versus in the same QAM slot with 3 other channels so it never looks great. Being the race was in France I went with the HD call seeing they do the TDF in HD, and yes Versus will show the TDF in HD this year as stated a few posts up.
post #116 of 164 Old 03-09-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The race itself was in widescreen SD. The stationary cameras with dry lenses had a very nice soft picture. Don't know why all SD show can't be this good. The background & informational segments were in HD. Using HD, 4:3 SD and letterboxed 16:9 shots. The production was somewhat over the top, with maybe 20 edits per minute.

Kevin
post #117 of 164 Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I watched some more last night. A lot of the non race is HD and the race shots look like they are broadcast in HD but it's hard to tell what resolution is at the origin. It looks better than "regular" SD race coverage but not HD sports quality.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #118 of 164 Old 03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

It looks like widescreen SD to me, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully some of the other Spring classics will be in HD.
post #119 of 164 Old 03-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Looked like widescreen SD to me too. I big improvement, but "euro def", like formula 1, would be better. Still, a big thank to Versus for the improvement. Hopefully the Tour de France will be in HD this year.
post #120 of 164 Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

More SD Wide-screen yesterday for the Criterium International.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page