Cycling in HD - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 164 Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is anyone keeping a score card on who has been disqualified from what long past race for drug charges?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 164 Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sorry, a little late for the first race.

Universal Sports' "Cycling Series."

The network, which owns exclusive rights across all platforms to its compelling world class events, will also provide live streaming on UniversalSports.com as part of its 2012 Road Cycling Spring Package, which is highlighted by the Giro d'Italia and also includes the RAI Milano-Sanremo and Tour of the Basque Country. The package is available for $39.99. For more information, go to http://www.universalsports.com/cycling/.

Universal Sports' veteran cycling broadcast team of play-by-play announcer Steve Schlanger and analyst Todd Gogulski will handle the network's cycling coverage. Gogulski spent more than a decade racing professionally, including on the U.S. National team, and had more than 100 victories during his career.

Universal Sports Network Broadcast Schedule: 2012 Cycling Series
schedule subject to change
ALL TIMES ET

Date Time (ET) Event

March 7-13 12:30-1:30 PM SDD Tirreno-Adriatico (Italy)

March 17 6-8 PM (SDD) Milan-San Remo (Italy)

March 27-29 5 PM (SDD) Three Days of Panne (Belgium)

April 2-7 TBD (SDD) Tour de Basque Country (Spain)

May 5-27* TBD (LIVE) Giro d'Italia (Italy) *rest days: May 8, May 21

Aug. 18-Sept. 9* TBD (LIVE) Vuelta a España (Spain) *rest days: Aug. 27, Sept. 4

Sept. 18, 19, 22, 23 TBD (LIVE & SDD) Road Cycling World Championships (Netherlands)

Sept. 29 TBD (SDD) Giro di Lombardia (Italy)

Oct. 10-14 TBD (SDD) Tour of Beijing (China)

Universal Sports Network recently transitioned to a multi-platform, high definition cable, satellite and IPTV service. Currently, DirecTV, DISH and several other cable providers offer Universal Sports Network. Viewers whose cable, satellite or IPTV providers are not currently offering the network should call 1-800-55-GET-US or visit www.IWantUniversalSports.com and demand access to the network's coverage of the world's biggest championships.

Universal Sports, a partnership between NBC Sports and InterMedia Partners, LP, is the premier multi-platform mediadestination for Olympic-related sports programming in the United States. Offering more than 1,200 hours of original programming each year, Universal Sports has exclusive rights to world and national championship events in a wide array of sports, including swimming, track and field, gymnastics, cycling, skiing, figure skating and rugby. Whether on television, online, or on the go with mobile and tablet applications, Universal Sports offers a four-screen experience to fans of global sports every day of the year. For more information, please visit UniversalSports.com.

http://www.universalsports.com/news-...d=582151.html?
post #153 of 164 Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 58
It's too bad U-Sports isn't OTA anymore. There are a lot of great road races as well as cross and mountain races. On D* they put it on the sports pack which costs too much, especially for SD programming. I probably will spring for the Giro in May, however. It's usually a much better race than the Tour.
post #154 of 164 Old 03-16-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

It's too bad U-Sports isn't OTA anymore. There are a lot of great road races as well as cross and mountain races. On D* they put it on the sports pack which costs too much, especially for SD programming. I probably will spring for the Giro in May, however. It's usually a much better race than the Tour.

I have D*and get the NBCS channel? I don't have the sports pack? I believe it originally started that way but not any longer.
post #155 of 164 Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

I have D*and get the NBCS channel? I don't have the sports pack? I believe it originally started that way but not any longer.

Universal Sports is not the same channel as the NBC Sports Network.
post #156 of 164 Old 03-16-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Back when I first got my HDTV and HD service, Comcast still carried HDNet, I saw the Little 500 from Indiana U. That was pretty cool. But then HDNet was dropped from Comcast later that year and I never got to see it again.
post #157 of 164 Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Yow a five year thread! I get HD road cycling via DirecTV on Versus or whatever it is now with NBC sports taking over (channel 603 is all I care about). Would love to see better mountain biking coverage but that is indeed more difficult and way less money for those providing for the free presentation.

Phil Liggett needs to frikkin' retire, if he hasn't already. Annoying accent, pronunciations and just generally inaccurate way too often last few seasons. Bobke I personally like and at least has better perspective but he can be annoying, granted; who cares about his teeth? Like the English guys have good teeth!

Sherwen meh but fairly accurate and gives good overall commentary. Not a big fan of the English accent, sorry (lived with English guys as roommates for many years so it's not like it's something different for me).

The talking heads from other sports just please get rid of them. Plenty of good cycling folk who can be tapped for broadcasting I'd hope. I still prefer to ride than watch...even in HD. but that's what DVRs are for!

post #158 of 164 Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

Universal Sports is not the same channel as the NBC Sports Network.

My point was the cycling races are on NBCS now.603 in HD! Thank you D*.
post #159 of 164 Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

Sorry, a little late for the first race.

Universal Sports' "Cycling Series."

The network, which owns exclusive rights across all platforms to its compelling world class events, will also provide live streaming on UniversalSports.com as part of its 2012 Road Cycling Spring Package...

It's been reported the awaited HD version of Universal Sports recently went live, although not available as yet to consumers.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #160 of 164 Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Haven't been tracking cycling on HD for a few years but BeIN Sports' HD coverage of a current Romandy, Switzerland-based race grabbed my attention this morning. Don't know when NYC's Verizon FIOS began carrying this HD sports channel. Very impressive HD PQ rolling through Swiss villages and mountains. Lots of camera-equipped motorbikes and choppers in play. Besides great color and fascinating you-are-there in-motion shots, BeIN's gear seems to have eliminated--so far at least--the interference that sometimes appears with closely spaced lines on building roofs, etc. Still see this twittering effect from other sources on motion images such as cityscapes with numerous closely spaced lines, even on my plasma that has a fairly good deinterlace circuit. Anyone have details on BeIN's HD gear? -- John.
post #161 of 164 Old 04-26-2013, 04:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Haven't been tracking cycling on HD for a few years but BeIN Sports' HD coverage of a current Romandy, Switzerland-based race grabbed my attention this morning. Don't know when NYC's Verizon FIOS began carrying this HD sports channel. Very impressive HD PQ rolling through Swiss villages and mountains. Lots of camera-equipped motorbikes and choppers in play. Besides great color and fascinating you-are-there in-motion shots, BeIN's gear seems to have eliminated--so far at least--the interference that sometimes appears with closely spaced lines on building roofs, etc. Still see this twittering effec from other sources on mmotion images such as cityscapes with numerous closely spaced lines, even on my plasma that has a fairly good deinterlace circuit. Anyone have details on BeIN's HD gear? -- John.

I did not realize I have this channel!!! I noticed on steephill.tv they mentioned English coverage on this channel in the US. I didn't bother looking into it.

well after looking into it, we now can watch the Giro D'Italia in the US on this channel... very happy!!!

Xbox name- D0NGINAT0R (those are zero's in my name)
post #162 of 164 Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 AM

Liked: 10
quick update- I am watching now, its pretty much a simulcast of the live feed of Sky Sports from Great Britian.

Sean Kelly is one of the commentators & the feed is about 1km behind the feed on Sky sports

So if this channel will be a simulcast of whatever is on Sky Sports or British Eurosport then this is a dream come true for me as a cycling fan

the Eurosport commentators are the best!!!

Xbox name- D0NGINAT0R (those are zero's in my name)
post #163 of 164 Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tuned in to the third Swiss race this morning, with two to come. Light rain and slightly reduced PQ from the clouds spoiled things a bit, but still enjoyed several you-are-there shots from all those cameras on motorbikes. Wonder if it's deliverable in 3D;like hockey, golf, etc., but believe--especially with motion--there's a fair amount of resolution missing via 3D.

Searched about BeIN yesterday, and the Wikipedia write-up mentions it's linked to Qatari Sports and the Al Jazeera Media Networks. Maybe their relatively new equipment (since 2011 overseas or 2012 viewing in the U.S) accounts for the superb 1080 images. Hey, maybe they'll try 4k camera outputs downconverted to 1920X1080 one of these days. (Near-maximum HD resolution,) -- John
post #164 of 164 Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Noticed that BeIN (see just above) will cover the Italian races later this week and set my DVR to capture the series. -- John.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page