post #391 of 399 Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier View Post

I had been waiting for this, and when my DVR's schedule finally updated far enough forward to see the dates, I saw that they were not going to actually show them. Instead, we're getting yet another re-run of Discovery Atlas HD, which we got back at Thanksgiving. (Just to prove that we're not totally insane, you should still be able to go to www.club1080.com and see them referencing Planet Earth "Coming in December 2007 to HD Theater".)

This will at least allow me to get a targeted recording of the 10 minutes of the Atlas HD 'Brazil' episode that I want to keep long-term (the Carnival sequence, right at the end of the episode - if you haven't seen it, you really need to record the show...) But since my provider (Charter) isn't likely to upgrade us anytime in the forseeable future, I don't think I'll be getting the 'sibling' Discovery HD channels for quite a while.

Yep, it's still at Club1080.com. And it also says in Winter 2008 - special episodes never seen before in the USA, so maybe they moved it to January or February.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 399 Old 02-19-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

Yep, it's still at Club1080.com. And it also says in Winter 2008 - special episodes never seen before in the USA, so maybe they moved it to January or February.

Is Planet Earth still showing on Discovery HD Theater, or Discovery HD? How do I find out when it is showing?
post #393 of 399 Old 02-20-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just buy it on Blu-ray now that that whole thing has been settled!

Scott

post #394 of 399 Old 04-17-2008, 07:22 AM

Are there plans to do another season of Planet Earth at some point?
post #395 of 399 Old 04-17-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The creators of Planet Earth are working on Frozen Planet, a somewhat similar series focusing exclusively on the Arctic and Antarctic regions.
post #396 of 399 Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post

The creators of Planet Earth are working on Frozen Planet, a somewhat similar series focusing exclusively on the Arctic and Antarctic regions.

Oh jeez, just what we need more penguins. I'm so sick of penguins.

but I look forward to watching whatever new series they produce.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #397 of 399 Old 09-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like Discovery channel is airing all the Planet Earth episodes again in HD. Here's a link to the Discovery channel schedule.
post #398 of 399 Old 09-29-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Well, I had looked forward to this replay. I recorded the first four episodes last night in anticipation of transferring them to D-VHS. I'd watched them when they originally aired last year on Disc HD Theater but deleted right after viewing.

Well after watching the first 10 minutes on DiscHD I deleted all four episodes, and erased my scheduled recordings for the rest of the series.

First, the editing for DiscHD is now peppered with advertisements. The original airing on Disc HD Theater was two 20-minute segments, broken up with some ads/promos only once in the middle.

Yes, I could certainly PAUSE-out the commercials in making D-VHS copies, but that would really be a nuisance. Too much trouble.

Second, the unobtrusive Disc HD Theater bug in the very lower-right corner of 16x9 was almost not seen. In contrast the huge highly visible DiscHD bug, with the spinning globe and 4x3 safe, was extremely distracting.

Finally, the presentation on Disc HD Theater was 1080i. The presentation on DiscHD is 720p. I must say, I thought it looked much better in its original airing. Even sounded better, I think.

Anyway, this project is now flushed.

If I really want it for posterity, I guess it's BluRay time (with Richard Attenborough narrating, instead of Sigourney Weaver).
post #399 of 399 Old 02-14-2009, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Well, I had looked forward to this replay. I recorded the first four episodes last night in anticipation of transferring them to D-VHS. I'd watched them when they originally aired last year on Disc HD Theater but deleted right after viewing.

Well after watching the first 10 minutes on DiscHD I deleted all four episodes, and erased my scheduled recordings for the rest of the series.

First, the editing for DiscHD is now peppered with advertisements. The original airing on Disc HD Theater was two 20-minute segments, broken up with some ads/promos only once in the middle.

Yes, I could certainly PAUSE-out the commercials in making D-VHS copies, but that would really be a nuisance. Too much trouble.

Second, the unobtrusive Disc HD Theater bug in the very lower-right corner of 16x9 was almost not seen. In contrast the huge highly visible DiscHD bug, with the spinning globe and 4x3 safe, was extremely distracting.

Finally, the presentation on Disc HD Theater was 1080i. The presentation on DiscHD is 720p. I must say, I thought it looked much better in its original airing. Even sounded better, I think.

Anyway, this project is now flushed.

If I really want it for posterity, I guess it's BluRay time (with Richard Attenborough narrating, instead of Sigourney Weaver).

HeHe-I still have the original flawless 1080 18mbit recordings from their original airing,
edited of course to remove the 1 commercial advertsement segment.
~6.5Gb/Episode.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page