Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

I think Directv had a huge issue with th DVRs yesterday during a software update.

It did, but that did not affect other series lists in that DVR or my other DVR. Episode 8 was missed on June 6th, so I suspect the series was dropped from my series list before last Saturday. I may have deleted it accidentally when I removed some discontinued programs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Reminder, next Sunday, June 20, is the series (not season) finale!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

To be replaced by THE BORGIAS with Jeremy Irons.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 PM
PMA

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

What a major shame. They could easily continue the series about Edward followed by Mary and Elizabeth.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

What a major shame. They could easily continue the series about Edward followed by Mary and Elizabeth.

They could, but this series needs to wind up. The writing and performances aren't all that great and they have no real charismatic talent in the wings. I'm in it until next week, but they'd need a total reinvention for me to stay interested in the Regency then Mary's reign. Elizabeth has been done to death and much better already.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The problem with the story as a whole is that the most exciting stuff (Katherine/Anne Boleyn/breaking with Rome) happens very early on. Anne's story then sort of repeats itself with Katherine Howard.

They are doing pretty well with the story they have, but it just isn't that exciting, and all the main characters are growing old. Think of the tag line from season 1 -- to understand a story, you have to know how it begins. Well, we know, and now we're near the end.

I can understand why they don't want to continue. Edward's reign is short, Mary's is depressing, and Elizabeth's story has been told and retold.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

They could, but this series needs to wind up. The writing and performances aren't all that great and they have no real charismatic talent in the wings. I'm in it until next week, but they'd need a total reinvention for me to stay interested in the Regency then Mary's reign. Elizabeth has been done to death and much better already.

Agree - The series had moments, but the court soap opera was old before it began. Other than Henry adding to his bowling ball collection, it was average fair for cable.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 AM
PMA

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm surprised to see no comments on the series finale yesterday. It was a bit surreal and different than prior episodes but I did enjoy it. I need to check actual history to see if Henry really separated from Catherine and his children prior to dying.

It seemed odd that he allowed Catherine to be investigated and even an arrest warrant to be issued only to violently not allow it to go forward.

I will miss this series.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The producer (or was it the director) did some commentary at the end about how different he wanted to approach the end. He didn't want to show Henry's actual death, because it would rob him of some actual sympathy for the man.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sympathy??? for a mass murderer?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I enjoyed the finale since it was stylized, yet in sync with the series. I was surprised that I suffered a few tugs on the ol heartstrings about it going away. One thing that amused me...Holbien, the painter...Henry complains about the portrait he did of his father, then his. His Father had died 40 years previously. Holbien had done portraits in earlier seasons, yet the character hadn't aged. At least they put some makeup and prosthetics on Myers. They put very little on the other characters. Cavil, who's only 27, made a pretty good looking corpse for a character that was 10 years older than Henry . All they did to him was grow some hair, add a couple of lines and bleach it a bit.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.