Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 281 Old 06-02-2007, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

btw, what's the deal with the court composer? his story line seems unrelated to anything else.

Um...I think I know where that might be going b/c I'm a bit familiar with the history of this era. But, I don't want to give away what might be a spoiler. If you PM me, I'd be happy to let you in on where I think this might lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 281 Old 06-02-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post

Thomas Tallis is a very well known English composer and his music is still a mainstay of the Church of England.

On a cynical note. He may be the token "pleb" with all these ruling class stiffs and his story is to counterpoint theirs. Or he maybe the "necessary" homosexual character that all these shows now MUST have.

But remember, the show is combining some characters. For example, Henry VIII had 2 sisters, but the show has combined them to 1. I think the composer Thomas may be a combo character with another historical figure.... but I'd rather not say which as it could be a spoiler.
post #93 of 281 Old 06-03-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
dad-
You'll be glad you subscribed to Showtime. Besides The Tudors and Dexter (one of my favorite shows this year), you need to check out Brotherhood, especially if you like Sopranos. The first season was great and the second season will be on later this year. Showtime has replaced HBO as my "must-have" premium channel, especially since HBO axed Deadwood.

I'm a little confused about the number of epsidoes left of The Tudors. Are there 2 left this season, including tonight's?
post #94 of 281 Old 06-03-2007, 07:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

dad-
You'll be glad you subscribed to Showtime. Besides The Tudors and Dexter (one of my favorite shows this year), you need to check out Brotherhood, especially if you like Sopranos. The first season was great and the second season will be on later this year. Showtime has replaced HBO as my "must-have" premium channel, especially since HBO axed Deadwood.

I agree, Showtime also has David Duchovny's "Californication" coming soon which looks to be pretty good.
post #95 of 281 Old 06-03-2007, 07:46 AM

Liked: 11
The season finale of The Tudors is next Sunday.
post #96 of 281 Old 06-03-2007, 11:58 AM

The Sir Thomas Moore character in the Tudors is so unlike the one in A Man for all Seasons. The later is far superior.
post #97 of 281 Old 06-04-2007, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashFan View Post

But remember, the show is combining some characters. For example, Henry VIII had 2 sisters, but the show has combined them to 1. I think the composer Thomas may be a combo character with another historical figure.... but I'd rather not say which as it could be a spoiler.

Yeah, the guy that had the gay encounter then died of the sweating disease is basically based on a lot of different characters. I think they do this for dramatic purposes.

post #98 of 281 Old 06-04-2007, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post

Still watching. It's on a slower pace than Rome and the characters aren't as compelling, but it's not bad.

The difference is The Tudors was renewed - Rome wasn't. They don't have to rush....yet.

Great series - not much to discuss, but enjoying it thoroughly.
post #99 of 281 Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziltomil View Post

The Sir Thomas Moore character in the Tudors is so unlike the one in A Man for all Seasons. The later is far superior.

I couldn't disagree more (pun intended). More's character in the Tudors is much more complex and realistic, IMO. In the play and movie, he is depicted as some too good to be true saint. Of course, the play and movie depict events that The Tudors have not gotten too, yet.

I'll be interested to see, in season 2, how they depict More as Lord Chancellor of England. That made More a very powerful man for awhile, until his enemies got the better of him. We know that historically he finally refused to cross a certain line, but before that he was around as Henry began ruthlessly expanding his power.
post #100 of 281 Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 AM

I was kind of shocked that they killed off Margaret last night. The Margaret in the show was a combination of Henry's 2 sisters (Margaret and Mary). It was actually Mary, the younger sister, who married Charles Brandon (Suffolk) after previously being married to the King of France (not Portugal as the show does). She did die before Anne became queen.

The historical Margaret married the king of Scotland and was grandmother to Mary, Queen of Scots -- an eventual rival to Elizabeth who was eventually captured, imprisoned, and later executed by Elizabeth. I think the historical Margaret died only a few years before Henry, so she would have been alive through Anne's queen years and beyond.

Strange to have her death occur now. What dramatic purpose does it serve other than as a very very minor development in the whole big Cardinal Wolsey downfall?
Perhaps she was rarely around Henry's court after becoming Queen of Scotland, thus for dramatic purposes she can be killed off now? But, why not just call her Mary on the show, since the character in the show is much more closely parallel to Mary than to Margaret.

Sorry, thinking too much...
post #101 of 281 Old 06-09-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 544
I missed the first run of this show but would like to catch it when they rebroadcast it (in HD on Showtime's flagship channel). Does anyone know if they plan on re-running the whole series, perhaps as a marathon? I tried Showtime's website, but they don't list any future scheduling.
post #102 of 281 Old 06-09-2007, 03:10 PM

I'm still waiting for Showtime to replay the first season of Sleeper Cell.
post #103 of 281 Old 06-09-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I'm still waiting for Showtime to replay the first season of Sleeper Cell.

They ran it originally on consecutive nights over a fortnight or so in December of that year. I didn't have enough space on the DVR to get it all. Then, they re-ran it with the more conventional schedule of one ep per week during Jan, Feb, March as I recall. That's when I saw it. I think they did it that way for the second season as well.
post #104 of 281 Old 06-09-2007, 03:58 PM

I set up a season pass for season 1 about 2 weeks before season 2 started. Got tired of waiting so I watched season 2 first, but thought I'd get the first season by now.
post #105 of 281 Old 06-09-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I missed the first run of this show but would like to catch it when they rebroadcast it (in HD on Showtime's flagship channel). Does anyone know if they plan on re-running the whole series, perhaps as a marathon? I tried Showtime's website, but they don't list any future scheduling.

I assume you don't have Comcast On-Demand? All the episodes are still there (in HD) although the first two episodes will expire on 6/12, at least in my area.

This is another reason why I don't understand it when people say there is no benefit to VOD. I've watched episodes on VOD when I've either missed recording them on their first run, or when I've come late to a series after it's started. It's nice knowing they are available on VOD, even if my first choice is to record the episodes on the DVR.

Anyway, I would expect Showtime to rerun the first season 3 or 4 months prior to the start of the next season. At least that seems to be their pattern. With the popularity of The Tudors though, maybe they'll rerun it sooner. Showtime seems to realize The Tudors has become their premier series (although I'd probably pick Dexter and maybe Brotherhood with The Tudors right behind).
post #106 of 281 Old 06-10-2007, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I assume you don't have Comcast On-Demand? All the episodes are still there (in HD) although the first two episodes will expire on 6/12, at least in my area.

My provider is TWC and am only interested in seeing this series in HD, which rules out VOD anyways.
post #107 of 281 Old 06-10-2007, 07:01 AM

Liked: 11
Not entirely, though at this point with regard to the Tudors, perhaps. I know we have had CSI in HD On Demand all year.
post #108 of 281 Old 06-10-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

My provider is TWC and am only interested in seeing this series in HD, which rules out VOD anyways.

That's unfortunate that TWC doesn't have the series on VOD in HD. I agree if it wasn't in HD, I wouldn't be interested in it either. Comcast is continuing to increase the number of series from HBO and Showtime series in HD on VOD.

edit: currently, we have episodes of The Tudors, Dexter, Weeds, and Sopranos in HD on VOD.
post #109 of 281 Old 06-11-2007, 05:25 AM

Great show - can't wait for next season ( 2008?!? )

Saw my first promo for Californication following the show (well within the DVR cutoff point). Gotta say, that is the "BEST PROMO........EVER!"

Tempted to remove my Meadowlands Season Pass after all the annoying pop-ups during The Tudors finale.
post #110 of 281 Old 06-11-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Saw my first promo for Californication following the show (well within the DVR cutoff point). Gotta say, that is the "BEST PROMO........EVER!"

I'm really looking forward to Californication as well, it looks like it might be a keeper.
post #111 of 281 Old 06-11-2007, 08:52 AM

I really enjoyed the show this year. It gained momentum and developed characters nicely and gradually. I wonder who Peter O'Toole is going to play?

As expected, the main first year story arc concluded is the "fall of Cardinal Wolsey." All the other arcs remain, of course. If you know your history, you know who is set for next season's fall, but I won't spoil it here. There could be 2 major characters going down next year, depending upon how quickly they want the show to move along (oh, and a couple of secondary characters could go down, too).

And, of course, Wolsey did not commit suicide. Sheesh. Back then suicide was considered an unforgivable sin that meant eternal damnation... The poor guy was in poor health and just died of illness on the way to London for his trial (and what would have been a likely execution). I guess the show covered its tracks by having Henry tell Cromwell to cover up the nature of Wolsey's death...

I'm still confused about why they offed Margaret. Is it possible the actress playing her did not want to come back for a 2nd season? OR, do they just want to have fun with Charles Brandon's playboy character.

I really like the more complex Thomas More in this one, too. And, Cromwell is not quite as expected. In popular culture, More is rather depicted as an angel (Church propaganda?) and Cromwell as a Machiavellian monster, but the show has both more complex. This seems much more historical!

My wife turned away from the burning at the stake scene. She asked a great question: "How could anybody do that to someone?" I explained the whole Church vs. Lutherans thing, but on an emotional level, I agree. How could one? Yet, we have More doing so, and self-righteously.
post #112 of 281 Old 06-11-2007, 10:02 AM

I'm having a hard time separating Cromwell from his role on 24 - he still seems like a weenie to me.
post #113 of 281 Old 06-12-2007, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Some minor opinions on the final episode of this season...

1) Why does Henry need to masturbate? Was a fetching scullery wench not available? He IS the king...he could have just commanded the FSW to submit to him and then told "begone".

2) Thomas More has someone burned at the stake? He may be more evil than Woolsey ever was.

3) You got a feeling Henry's affections for Anne are going to wane real quick? He finally gets to get down and dirty with her and just as he's "about to cum" (yes he actually said that in his moment of climax!), she pushes him off. She's been taunting and teasing him all the while and now she may have pushed him away at a very inopportune moment - a moment she may not live to regret!
post #114 of 281 Old 06-12-2007, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

1) Why does Henry need to masturbate? Was a fetching scullery wench not available? He IS the king...he could have just commanded the FSW to submit to him and then told "begone".

2) Thomas More has someone burned at the stake? He may be more evil than Woolsey ever was.

3) You got a feeling Henry's affections for Anne are going to wane real quick? He finally gets to get down and dirty with her and just as he's "about to cum" (yes he actually said that in his moment of climax!), she pushes him off. She's been taunting and teasing him all the while and now she may have pushed him away at a very inopportune moment - a moment she may not live to regret!

1. He promised Anne he would not be with anyone else, that he only wanted her, and to prove it he would not sleep with anyone else or her until they where married.

2. Agreed.

3. It doesn't wane quickly at all. She is queen for about three years, and not until she doesn't produce a son just more girls, stillbirths, etc. that Henry finally starts to think she tricked him and accuses her of being a witch among other things. Anne is extremely influential in the the affairs of England and helped change a lot of things.

post #115 of 281 Old 06-12-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:

King's K*m Katcher: WORST JOB EVER!

"Sweet Cracker Sandwich!"--Satchel Pooch
post #116 of 281 Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Well, we have until 2008 to ruminate about this.

Anybody get any screen captures of Natalie in all her bare-breasted glory?

(Not that you're going to post them here! We are a family friendly group!! )
post #117 of 281 Old 06-12-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:

1. He pledged his love and fidelity to her. Historically...?
2. I think they may have got it right when More told Henry he'd burned 6 guys. More was very much against Lutheranism. This is not a period with a lot of religious tolerance.
3. Well, of course he will, but not for a while, yet.
post #118 of 281 Old 06-12-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

1. He promised Anne he would not be with anyone else, that he only wanted her, and to prove it he would not sleep with anyone else or her until they where married.

2. Agreed.

3. It doesn't wane quickly at all. She is queen for about three years, and not until she doesn't produce a son just more girls, stillbirths, etc. that Henry finally starts to think she tricked him and accuses her of being a witch among other things. Anne is extremely influential in the the affairs of England and helped change a lot of things.

Re #3. She only gives birth to one child who survives: a daughter Elizabeth. Yup, the future Queen Elizabeth I. My guess is that Anne will survive Season 2, but we'll see how quickly or slowly things move along. It depends on how in-depth they want to get into More and Cromwell. They need to introduce Richard Rich into the mix soon.
post #119 of 281 Old 06-12-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Well, we have until 2008 to ruminate about this.

Anybody get any screen captures of Natalie in all her bare-breasted glory?

(Not that you're going to post them here! We are a family friendly group!! )

She's not a beauty in the classic sense with her kind of twisted smile and all (and she's doesn't really have much of a chest, to be honest). However, her eyes are dazzling and she has a beautiful figure.

I much prefer her as a brunette than as a blonde (see her online pictures such as at IMDB).
post #120 of 281 Old 06-12-2007, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashFan View Post

Re #3. She only gives birth to one child who survives: a daughter Elizabeth. Yup, the future Queen Elizabeth I. My guess is that Anne will survive Season 2, but we'll see how quickly or slowly things move along. It depends on how in-depth they want to get into More and Cromwell. They need to introduce Richard Rich into the mix soon.

Yeah, I know that, she also had some stillbirths/miscarriages.

I think she gets beheaded in Season 2. They move the series along so fast (almost a year per episode) that she wouldn't survive long if they kept that pace up. However, they will have to switch actors or something because Henry got very fat later in life.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page