The Tudors on Showtime - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 281 Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the advertising of "Heads will rolls" was true.

This season is much better than the 1st and with one episode left, I want to see how it goes down.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 281 Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The entire series has been entertaining to me. I'm in no way a historian and never had much interest in the history of England, but this show has definitely piqued my curiosity. And after watching "The Other Boleyn Girl" I was amazed at the contrast between the 2. Then after reading up on the facts am even more amazed at the similarities between fact and fiction (6 wives, an affair that changed the shape of a nation, the traditions of arranged marriages and poitical overtones, etc.) As stated earlier in this thread, I find myself trying to imagine how things may have played out differently if (Catherine had a son, Anne had a son, the church blessing the annulment, etc.)

Great show, just have to realize Showtime has taken some creative license.
post #183 of 281 Old 05-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b View Post

Great show, just have to realize HBO has taken some creative license.

Ummm, it's SHOWTIME not HBO, fyi.

post #184 of 281 Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 AM
PMA

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not sure if this has been covered but what happened the the Duke of Norfolk played by Henry Czerny? He has not been seen at all in this season but was a key character in the first. History says that he oversaw the investigation and eventual decision to execute Anne, his niece.
post #185 of 281 Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

Not sure if this has been covered but what happened the the Duke of Norfolk played by Henry Czerny? He has not been seen at all in this season but was a key character in the first. History says that he oversaw the investigation and eventual decision to execute Anne, his niece.

Good question. He disappeared and I forgot all about him.
post #186 of 281 Old 05-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The entire series has been entertaining to me. I'm in no way a historian and never had much interest in the history of England, but this show has definitely piqued my curiosity. And after watching "The Other Boleyn Girl" I was amazed at the contrast between the 2. Then after reading up on the facts am even more amazed at the similarities between fact and fiction (8 wives, an affair that changed the shape of a nation, the traditions of arranged marriages and poitical overtones, etc.) As stated earlier in this thread, I find myself trying to imagine how things may have played out differently if (Catherine had a son, Anne had a son, the church blessing the annulment, etc.)

Great show, just have to realize HBO has taken some creative license.

Based on your "research", am curious whether Anne's "adultery" charges were trumped up (as portrayed in the Tudors) or actually considered true historically...
post #187 of 281 Old 05-29-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

He was executed by Elizabeth I for treason (attempting to marry Mary Queen of Scots and working with King Philip of Spain to put her on the throne). You should watch "Elizabeth - The Golden Age".
post #188 of 281 Old 05-29-2008, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhull View Post

Ummm, it's SHOWTIME not HBO, fyi.

Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perilous View Post

Based on your "research", am curious whether Anne's "adultery" charges were trumped up (as portrayed in the Tudors) or actually considered true historically...

Most of what I've read alluded to the convenience of the charges after she was unable to produce a son. Nothing I've read so far flat out disclaims the accusations.

Then again... http://englishhistory.net/tudor/monarchs/boleyn.html

Henry's decision to thoroughly destroy Anne baffled even her enemies. There was a possible way out which would spare Anne's life. Henry had admitted an affair with her sister,an 18th century portrait of Anne Boleyn Mary. He could have argued that was as damning as Katharine's marriage to his brother. But he chose a more direct route. He had her arrested, charged with adultery, witchcraft, and incest; the charges were ludicrous even to her enemies. Her brother George was arrested as well. His despised wife, Jane Rochford, testified about an incestuous love affair. Whether anyone believed her was irrelevant.
post #189 of 281 Old 05-29-2008, 02:40 PM
PMA

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet34 View Post

He was executed by Elizabeth I for treason (attempting to marry Mary Queen of Scots and working with King Philip of Spain to put her on the throne). You should watch "Elizabeth - The Golden Age".

I have seen Elizabeth - The Golden Age and enjoy period pieces. I was more curious about the Duke of Norfolk in The Tudors during the events they are depicting. He was historically a key character in what is now happening but seems to have been written out of this series.

Did the actor have some type of falling out after season 1?
post #190 of 281 Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Wow the finale was amazing and very tense. The execution was very well done (tastefully). I can't wait for season 3.
post #191 of 281 Old 05-30-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Then after reading up on the facts am even more amazed at the similarities between fact and fiction (8 wives, an affair that changed the shape of a nation, the traditions of arranged marriages and poitical overtones, etc.)

8 wives ?????

Henry VIII only had six wives. Where did the other two come from ?
post #192 of 281 Old 05-30-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Not wanting to appear too lowbrow, but how was the nudity content during the second season? Equal or superior to the first? (I'm debating whether to get involved with this series...and frankly, that would be a selling point. )
post #193 of 281 Old 05-30-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

He was married this season so there was very little.
post #194 of 281 Old 05-30-2008, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

He was married this season so there was very little.

Very true - yet still a very funny comment to read.

Archi - a series well worth watching - probably make my Top 3 when the HOTP thread polls cablenet shows.
post #195 of 281 Old 05-30-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Archi - a series well worth watching - probably make my Top 3 when the HOTP thread polls cablenet shows.

Well, looks like I at least need to catch the first season.
post #196 of 281 Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
There's also some stuff in the second season to keep you interested.

Just not as much as the first. But nothing like the typical SHO series' that open up the floodgates for the first episode, then edit the rest as if it is already heading to syndication.
post #197 of 281 Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Wow the finale was amazing and very tense. The execution was very well done (tastefully). I can't wait for season 3.

A tasetefully done execution?

Did you see an advance copy of the finale episode? It is set to air this Sunday, June 1st.
post #198 of 281 Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoJames View Post

A tasetefully done execution?

Did you see an advance copy of the finale episode? It is set to air this Sunday, June 1st.

Comcast has the series OnDemand, they have the upcoming episode avaialble a week before it airs, have done so all season, I watched the "finale" the other night.
post #199 of 281 Old 06-01-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampy View Post

Comcast has the series OnDemand, they have the upcoming episode avaialble a week before it airs, have done so all season, I watched the "finale" the other night.

Yep I got tired of waiting so I used on demand. I was able to watch it on Thurs. I also saw less macroblocking using On Demand than watching on DVR. Odd...
post #200 of 281 Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Yep I got tired of waiting so I used on demand. I was able to watch it on Thurs. I also saw less macroblocking using On Demand than watching on DVR. Odd...

Very good finale! I actually felt some sympathy for Anne, especially when she was waving to her father from her window just after he was released. Of course the cold bastard didn't even acknowledge her. He has to be the most despicable character on the show.

I was actually expecting this to be the series finale, so I was surprised to see the show will be continuing in 2009. The wait will be long, but worth it!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #201 of 281 Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

I was actually expecting this to be the series finale, so I was surprised to see the show will be continuing in 2009. The wait will be long, but worth it!

2 down 4 to go ... then there's the actual succession to deal with ... This show could go on for years.
post #202 of 281 Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:

the production has switched from HD acquisition with Panavision's HD-900F camera to the Panavision Genesis
For us in post, using Genesis and going up to 4:4:4 [color sampling] means greater latitude for cleaner mattes and VFX. And Genesis delivers an amazing punch in color and quieter blacks. The move to Genesis also brings a complete selection of Panavision primo lenses to the production for the first time.

This season, Panavision Canada is outfitting Rawi and his team with three fully kitted Genesis camera bodies.

director of photography Ousama Rawi... has had compliments from all over the world; people think he's shooting 35mm. Pioneer is even using The Tudors content in demos for its new HDTV set.

Season three will include Phantom HD high-speed cinematography for an execution sequence.

http://www.postmagazine.com/ME2/dirm...47801DFB53D8A8

Panavision Genesis is also currently used to shoot 'Sons of Anarchy' on FX network and 'Law & Order' for NBC.
post #203 of 281 Old 02-13-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Apparently some changes are coming for Season 3:

Quote:

On whether he'll gain weight like Henry VIII: "No. I’m not going to turn into the Holbein painting. . . I played it my way. I could have put on the red hair and gained the weight but it’s already done. I’m not that guy. This is not that show. . . We wanted to make something with the exciting backdrop but it's entertainment, it’s television. . .We have to play with history a little bit. I had to play him my way."

Quote:

The lovely Joss Stone came by to discuss her role as Anne of Cleves on The Tudors. It's her first real acting job and not an easy one to jump into, but she said that was OK: "I prefer to do that. I like to go headfirst into whatever it is." She said she also appreciated knowing that — unless the producers were seriously changing history — she wouldn't be leaving the show with her head cut off.

Video promo of season 3:

http://www.buzzsugar.com/2798216?carousel=2

Season 3 premieres April 5th.
post #204 of 281 Old 02-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just finished Season 2(watching through netflix). I agree with the people who said they started to feel sympathy for Anne. I couldn't stand her for most of the season, then at the end i found myself feeling bad for her. My wife and I are thinking about getting showtime just for this show, I dont know if we can wait for Season 3 to come out on video!

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #205 of 281 Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Seasons 1 and 2 just came out today on Blu-Ray, fyi. Check Amazon for a good price.

post #206 of 281 Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Season 3 start date announced - April 5.
post #207 of 281 Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 243
The new season of the Tudors starts this weekend (the premiere episode has been available on showtime's site for awhile now). I am so pumped this show is finally back. Been waiting for it.

post #208 of 281 Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to this on Sunday. I caught up with the show on Blu-ray. I also just switched from HBO to Showtime for this show. Of course, I've been considering dumping HBO for a long time, since as of late, HBO's programming has been really crappy and 'just ain't what it used to be'.

post #209 of 281 Old 04-03-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
For those with D*, the first episode is on VOD free to all. Saw it two weeks ago. They have changed Meyer's hairstyle.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #210 of 281 Old 04-03-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post

Just finished Season 2(watching through netflix). I agree with the people who said they started to feel sympathy for Anne. I couldn't stand her for most of the season, then at the end i found myself feeling bad for her. My wife and I are thinking about getting showtime just for this show, I dont know if we can wait for Season 3 to come out on video!

Showtime is now clearly riviling HBO in the original programming area. Shows like Weeds, Californication (absolutely hilarious), The United States of Tara and, of course, The Tudors are absolutely first class productions. Some cable companies offer an HBO/Showtime package that is well worth the cost.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page