What did ESPN do to improve HD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2007, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have not been to the board for several months, but I remember there was some real criticism of the HD quality of the ESPN networks late last year and early this year. It seems from reading recent posts that they have gotten their act together. Was there any acknowledgement from the execs as to what had happened and how it was fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-04-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
none to my knowledge. Who knows what the problem was but for now it seems to have corrected itself. We'll see in the fall.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-04-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post

I have not been to the board for several months, but I remember there was some real criticism of the HD quality of the ESPN networks late last year and early this year. It seems from reading recent posts that they have gotten their act together. Was there any acknowledgement from the execs as to what had happened and how it was fixed?

You don't say what system you have for receiving it, but there have been quite a few upgrades done on some of the satellite softwares lately.

Rick

Charter D** Customer

"I hate words." "Words suck." "If I wanted to read, I'd go to school." Beavis & Butthead
post #4 of 7 Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I honestly dont see where theyve fixed the problem, whatever it is. There are still plenty of games that I see on there that look like crap. I think maybe theyve made some small strides, there is some good looking HD now and again. I still see more crap than quality HD though.

I wouldnt say that I see anything that looks like the quality from 2 or 3 years ago.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-04-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just speculating, but perhaps the better looking games are using trucks stocked with 1080/60p cameras downconverting 1920X1080 to 720/60p. That boosts the limiting resolution and final effective resolution (resolvable detail) closer to the full format resolution of 720p (compared to using only 1280X720/60p camera modes). It's not clear how frequently this in done. -- John
post #6 of 7 Old 04-04-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Just speculating, but perhaps the better looking games are using trucks stocked with 1080/60p cameras downconverting 1920X1080 to 720/60p. That boosts the limiting resolution and final effective resolution (resolvable detail) closer to the full format resolution of 720p (compared to using only 1280X720/60p camera modes). It's not clear how frequently this in done. -- John

No I can tell you they're still using the same trucks they used in the fall. The better PQ seems to affect studio shows as well which are still LDK6000 and LDK4000. My guess is something was improved at the transmission end.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-04-2007, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I haven't seen any improvement in game coverage (ie NBA) in the last six months. But I have DirecTV, so all bets are pretty much off in the PQ department.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page