Pistons vs. Bulls on ESPN HD and FSN Detroit HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-04-2007, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ESPN and Fox Sports Detroit HD both have the Pistons game on and its shocking how much cleaner the ESPN production is over the FSN production. The colors on the floor and in the uniforms, facial close ups, etc are much brighter and more clear on ESPN.

Also, I've only noticed this on Pistons broadcasts on FSN, but the picture always seems very grainy. The Tigers, Red Wings, and FSN College BBall never looked grainy like this does.

Switching back and forth, they seem to be using same camera shots (but it could just be camera positions), however, its shocking how much the difference is.

I'm watching via Comcast in Lansing, MI. Samsung 42" DLP.

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-15-2007, 04:26 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

ESPN and Fox Sports Detroit HD both have the Pistons game on and its shocking how much cleaner the ESPN production is over the FSN production. The colors on the floor and in the uniforms, facial close ups, etc are much brighter and more clear on ESPN.

Also, I've only noticed this on Pistons broadcasts on FSN, but the picture always seems very grainy. The Tigers, Red Wings, and FSN College BBall never looked grainy like this does.

Switching back and forth, they seem to be using same camera shots (but it could just be camera positions), however, its shocking how much the difference is.

I'm watching via Comcast in Lansing, MI. Samsung 42" DLP.

i have dish network and notice the same thing with fox sports. the redwing game against calgary the other night was grainy and not real clear especially when there was a lot of movement. kind of annoying. this was an sd signal for me but it must be something with fsn`s transmission/signal.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-15-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Interesting. A week or two ago here in Cleveland I compared a Cavs game side by side live on ESPN and FSN Ohio and could see no difference. They both looked really good. They were different cameras for sure.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-15-2007, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
ESPN always uses their own gear for broadcasts, its company policy to not pool feed under most circumstances for a variety of reasons. A couple of things could affect the picture quality, not the least of which is method of transmission. Oftentimes ESPN is using a VIVX fiber line sending out an uncompressed HD stream back to Bristol. It would be difficult for a RSN to do this given the costs incurred. This is also assumes the distribution feed is sound at the point of integration. Also the ESPN's technical talent pool is generally going to be better than that of a RSN.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-15-2007, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeoflady View Post

i have dish network and notice the same thing with fox sports. the redwing game against calgary the other night was grainy and not real clear especially when there was a lot of movement. kind of annoying. this was an sd signal for me but it must be something with fsn`s transmission/signal.

The FSN Detroit HD feed for the Red Wings has always been far superior to the Pistons games.

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page