Closed Thread

post #61 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-AllStar View Post

Nothing but baseball and Babel showing up on Ch95. Sure does make it hard to program the HD-Tivo to record a game if you don't know in advance if it's on...

Ch94 says "MLBHD" -- why show HD baseball games on ch95 if they have their own channel?

Ch98 -- Enough with the NGC previews...or at least show Sports (NHL) when games are being played.

Ch93 -- To Be Determined....figures

It sucks being a hockey fan in the US...

John Shannon, NHL VP of Broadcasting was on XM 204 yesterday, and when asked about HD availability of playoff games, he made mention of D* and E*'s bandwidth limitations. No further specifics.

I love baseball, and I love baseball in HD, but please give me post-season hockey over April baseball.

Anyone know a meaningful person or department to complain to at D*?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 08:40 AM

Just checked this morning (moments ago) and D* channel 95 has the Mets baseball game in HD during the 7-10 pm slot. Doesnt look like there will be any HD games tonight for D* and E* subs.

Small hope that ch.94 or ch.98 will pull a surprise and show the HD broadcast.
post #63 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 08:50 AM

I don't understand, aren't there people you can contact at these Satellite companies, to first of all, find out what their plans are for the NHL Playoffs, and second of all, let them know that you would prefer to watch NHL Playoffs then baseball?

Also I don't quite understand, why can't these big American Satellite companies bring up extra channels for Hockey. It shouldn't be a matter of...'we have two channels for sports, but should we put on them...'

why can't they offer both hockey and baseball in HD at the same time, if you the viewer are willing to subscribe to a package for hockey, you should be able to watch it
post #64 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Time to fire up the hate mail to D* again, they also have baseball listed on 95 for Thursday night as well. Here's the address http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/howToReachUs.jsp
but if anyone has a better one to the sports department, please post it. It's ridiculous that D* is doing this again just like last year. Never mind that even baseball people will tell you that postseason hockey is more important than April baseball, all HD subscribers can watch Versus HD games on 95 whereas only MLB EI subscribers can watch the baseball they put there.
post #65 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2004 View Post

Also I don't quite understand, why can't these big American Satellite companies bring up extra channels for Hockey. It shouldn't be a matter of...'we have two channels for sports, but should we put on them...'

why can't they offer both hockey and baseball in HD at the same time, if you the viewer are willing to subscribe to a package for hockey, you should be able to watch it

Bandwidth is a limited resource. They have to pick and choose what games get shown in HD.
post #66 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

Bandwidth is a limited resource. They have to pick and choose what games get shown in HD.

No, that idiot in the NHL has to pick and choose an established network. I can't BELIEVE they didn't do a thing w/HDNet.
post #67 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post

I'm angry over the NHL's decision to go VS, but thrilled my Isles made the dance.

Am I reading this right? NYI/Buffalo are on VS, but only Buffalo's area is being downgraded to MSG SD? Inf'ingcredible. Absolutely incredible.
post #68 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 AM

I agree partially that this mess in broadcasting is the NHL's fault. But on the other hand their hands were tied as far as network availability/willingness to broadcast their games. The NHL had the ESPN contract before they went on strike and when they came back, ESPN said no thanks. They chose Versus instead of HDNet for playoff broadcast. Why is a big mystery. Somehow they seemingly didnt know that HDNet is more widely distributed than Versus-HD Then they allow NBC to use them as a sideshow for weekend games only. What a great marketing feat that was

Now that half the NHL markets (US) are no longer broadcasting games as their teams missed the play-offs, those markets are now locked out from seeing the playoff games. Somehow the NHL forgot about those loyal followers of local teams just might want to see the playoffs in HD. Of course, the league office will say theat Versus is available in SD on D* and E* for those loyal fans
post #69 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

not that i think it will matter, but i sent an email to D* pleading for Versus HD for the playoffs. hopefully they come through.
post #70 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 11:38 AM

I've also e-mailed D* asking them to please show the Versus HD playoff games. We've all got to let them know that it's unacceptable to not have the NHL playoffs in HD.
post #71 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Ok, just sent my email questioning the reasoning of showing a meaningless April baseball game over a NHL playoff game. It is probably too late, but we shall see come 7pm (est).
post #72 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 12:08 PM

Emailed as well. Accusing but restrained. I don't understand showing meaningless baseball games when the playoffs are on. They have the bandwindth to have a separate full-time YES-HD channel, yet no games-only broadcast on the 90s special channels of NHL playoffs.
post #73 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I sent an email as well. While I won't die if they don't put the HD games on 95, I will be highly disappointed. Come on, game 9 of 162 instead of a playoff game? Uggggggg.

Everyone, please email, maybe we'll get them to change their mind. Maybe not this week but hopefully in future weeks. I plan to email them every day they don't show a Versus HD playoff game on 95.

Scott
post #74 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looks to me from my TiVo schedule that NBC is picking up Sat & Sun games with Versus doing the rest.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #75 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 01:25 PM

guys, bombard D* with your email to get them to change their policy:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/howToReachUs.jsp

Versus-HD does not carry "all" the games, but quite a bit. NBC is carrying only Sat/Sun afternoon games, correct.
post #76 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM

D*'s decision making is even more galling considering they have Mets/Phillies listed from 5-11pm MT tonight, games are only about 3 hours so even if they are stupid enough to run baseball over hockey early they could at least put on Versus' Dallas/Vancouver at 8pm MT but no they would rather have nothing at all than playoff hockey...Keep those emails coming to D* everyone, I agree with the guy who said we should bombard them daily.
post #77 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post

Keep those emails coming to D* everyone, I agree with the guy who said we should bombard them daily.

Email sent
post #78 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 02:23 PM

Just received this reply:

Quote:
Thanks for writing about the NHL games. As you know, we don't carry NHL in HD right now and we don't currently have plans to add it to our lineup. However, customers may get some NHL games in high definition (HD) on channel 90-99. For example, when Versus broadcasts a game in HD, we may carry the HD feed on channel 96 provided that they have the appropriate equipment like what you currently have.

However, we often add programming based on customer requests, and I have forwarded your request and suggestion to DIRECTV management. If we decide to carry this channel, would you like to receive an email when it's available? If so, please reply to this email to confirm that you agree to be contacted.

In addition, whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our website at directv.com/pr.

Thanks for writing.

The channel they're talking about is the Versus-HD.
post #79 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 02:40 PM

Living in SE Minnesota I have only had one opportunity to see my team (Minnesota Wild) in HD this year when they were on HDNet. Worse than that, almost half the games that were on television were on a UHF station 45 in the Twin Cities, which the cable system here (Charter) doesn't carry so no way to watch them unless they were on FSN. Now it looks like the powers that be have decided this channel gets the majority of the playoff games, so unless they do real well will probably only see one of the playoff games at all.

These kind of deals with no ESPN support (they barely cover NHL hockey now that they don't broadcast it) make it impossible to see games in HD and less likely to see a lot of the games in the region where the team is supported.

Anyway its just frustrating to want to pull for your team and watch them in glorious HD (which Hockey is enhanced way more than any other sport in HD, that is you can follow the flow of the game easier) but you can't because of these tv deals that have been made.
post #80 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 02:52 PM

Stars - Canucks is now on the guide for ch 95, 10:00 tonight

Progress!
post #81 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like DirectTV just added the second Versus game tonight on 95...Dallas-Van.

After the BB game.

Better than nothing I guess...I was looking forward to the Pens-Sens game.
Maybe there is still hope.
post #82 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 04:08 PM

Wow, emailing worked!
post #83 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 04:14 PM

Good job everyone, hopefully we won't have to do this every day but we probably will...
post #84 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 PM

Liked: 11
Is it just me, or or does anyone else here find the pq on NBC's HD hockey broadcast head and shoulders above what CBC / TSN offers?

I've seen a lot of games on CBC / TSN, and while they were widescreen, the pq was often underwhelming to say the least Washed out colours, grainy, jumpy - I often think they are dumping an upconverted sd feed onto the hd channel TSN's coverage of the world juniors this past fall was spectacular in comparison so I'm guessing it has to do with the actual production equipment / techiques being used in each particular city.

That being said, I caught a game on NBC last weekend and was blown away! Rich, fully saturated colour, virtually no motion blur / jaggies, and 5.1 surround Cranked up the volume and it was like being there, crowd all around, pa announcments reverbing all around the room......when the home team (Chicago IIRC) scored and they cut loose with that damned fog horn I nearly filled my pants

Hope CBC's new mobile has some better gear in it - mind you, if it does I suspect it will be staying in Ottawa since the Leafs have, once again, dusted off the golf clubs early, while those of us out west get the leftovers.....yet again

Ah well, rant over, I feel better now....just glad that Expressvu doesn't compress all the goodness out

There are no stupid questions. Stupid answers are a whole other story...........
post #85 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone getting major breakups on Versus tonight? It's absolutely horrible and unwatchable.

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #86 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard View Post

Is it just me, or or does anyone else here find the pq on NBC's HD hockey broadcast head and shoulders above what CBC / TSN offers?...

While I cannot compare since I have not seen CBC/TSN, I will say that I've been impressed with NBC's HD hockey coverage. Much better than their NFL HD offerings.

post #87 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

Is anyone getting major breakups on Versus tonight? It's absolutely horrible and unwatchable.

The SD version on D* looks OK here, no HD version to judge on D* if that is your question.

John M
post #88 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 05:22 PM

Getting ready to e-mail DirecTV. I can't watch hockey in SD anymore. Of course, even in HD my team still looks horrendous (Caps).
post #89 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard View Post

Is it just me, or or does anyone else here find the pq on NBC's HD hockey broadcast head and shoulders above what CBC / TSN offers?

Ah well, rant over, I feel better now....just glad that Expressvu doesn't compress all the goodness out

I have watched HD games (via SC) from Joe Louis Arena on WJBK, NBC, CBC + TSN. All had excellent PQ. Games in HD from the Air Canada Centre are about as good quality (PQ) as the Leafs are a hockey team. And the worse by far, have been the games from Atlanta whether on Versus or TSN.

Methinks that lighting has a lot to do with it.
post #90 of 973 Old 04-11-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

The SD version on D* looks OK here, no HD version to judge on D* if that is your question.

It's SD here on Mediacom cable....I've been on hold trying to contact them to see what's up....it's awful.

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page