The Sopranos on HBO HD - The Back 9 - March 2012 Update - The cast speaks out. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1675 Old 05-07-2007, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

Yeah, Gandolphini was born to play this part. It's almost scary at times, the look in his eyes is dull and stupid, nearly retarded, but then you see this weird spark of animal cunning in there too..

He really is an excellent actor. In the first season I thought he was a one trick pony walking through his role but after seeing him in other films and how he morphs into all of his characters-- he is great.

I've never seen the actor who plays Paulie in anything else but I'd bet dollars to meatballs that he'd be the samewith his pinky raised and his dialect unaffected.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post

And I could see AJ as boss in Jersey at the end of the final episode. Remember, in this scenario, Tony is boss of all. He would be overseeing AJ and mentoring him along the way. AJ and his punk hoods would rule Jersey. Paulie, Christopher, Bobby, Sil, would all be part of the New York operation.

maybe if this was a network show. i think there's more of a chance of watching tony and AJ playing pick-up-sticks with greased ass cheeks in the final episode than AJ & crew running north jersey.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #363 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

I've never seen the actor who plays Paulie in anything else but I'd bet dollars to meatballs that he'd be the samewith his pinky raised and his dialect unaffected.

That's because he's a "natural" for this sort of role. I think he was involved in mob activities, or some sort of nefarious doings, prior to his being cast in this show. Playing Paulie's not that much of a stretch for him.
post #364 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Christophers sponser has been getting an earful. Could he be the fed like how Adraianna was duped? Chris is talking way to much and I was laughed at when I suggested that the power tool deal made by Tony could be the ondoing here. When they start turning on each other could be the end of the family altogether.

These are just my opinions.
post #365 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I think it's pretty clear that either Paulie or Christopher is not long for this world ... something's gotta give.
post #366 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

he was in the beginning of Goodfella's, as go figure, a mobster. It's the part where he and another guy go after someone at the pizzeria that Henry Ford (Ray Liotta's character) worked at when he was a kid
post #367 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Oh please. Because he helped hold someone down? There must have been 4 other guys helping. He's the biggest Pu$$y Ive seen in a long time. He is nothing more than a loser spoiled brat with no future and thats exactly why his fiancee skipped out. She was looking for a man not a little boy.

To the contrary, Tony and his guys are all basically loser sociopaths, a group into which AJ will fit right in. Slightly more seriously, AJ now has a sense of direction as an enforcer for his friends' gambling ring and it's clear that he is loving it -- even if he did have a lot of help. I'm not saying that AJ is going to become the boss at the end of four episodes, or ever for that matter. I am saying, though that it looks as if he is going to get involved in organized crime.
post #368 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
I know it's jump but I was thinking the other night that maybe the "gambling kid" goes to the cops with his burns and he names AJ as well as the other guys as the head of the gambling ring. Kids turn over and say Tony is the backing for the gambling operation.

Small thing gets T pinched in the end.
post #369 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 09:34 AM

Am I the only one who is getting kind of bored with this final season? A whole episode about AJ's depression and Chris recovering from / struggling with alcohol? zzzzz....

It seems like most of the episodes this season have been pretty much independent of each other with not many ongoing exciting storylines. Where exactly are we headed? Is this just a bunch of filler material? I expected a little more action to be taking place with only a few episodes left.
post #370 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 11:22 AM

what do you guys think about this.....

AJ's girlfriend is an informant for the FBI, thus the reason for her quick departure from AJ. Similar situation with adrianna, the crew leaves this responsibility to AJ and makes him whack her.

Possible? Sounds good to me... Who knows..

we haven't seen the last of that sneaky hot bombshell blanca.... there's something more to her story... she goes out with aj to get closer to tony but she got scared and bails out and can't go through with it.... AJ finds out, Tells Tony, Tony either makes AJ kill her or sends out of the boys...

what do you guys think??
post #371 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's obvious that David Chase's theme for this last season is .. the mob in old age. Tony losing a fist fight, Paulie revealed as a pathetic personality having nobody but Tony, Johnny Sack dying of cancer, Tony can't enjoy his wealth and gambling his money away, Christopher losing his sobriety, and the ultimate indignities to Uncle Junior in the looney bin. Everybody is depressed and we are a long way from the time when it was fun to be a gangster. Maybe Chase decided he didn't want to glamorize the life of organized crime. It would be fun to see a mob war but I suspect that the main characters will just keep deteriorating.
post #372 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Personally, that's the way I see it going too. Good perspective cwilson.

Chet
post #373 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post

It's obvious that David Chase's theme for this last season is .. the mob in old age. Tony losing a fist fight, Paulie revealed as a pathetic personality having nobody but Tony, Johnny Sack dying of cancer, Tony can't enjoy his wealth and gambling his money away, Christopher losing his sobriety, and the ultimate indignities to Uncle Junior in the looney bin. Everybody is depressed and we are a long way from the time when it was fun to be a gangster. Maybe Chase decided he didn't want to glamorize the life of organized crime. It would be fun to see a mob war but I suspect that the main characters will just keep deteriorating.

I agree.

We see Tony going to therapy explaining clearly how he's realizing that "This is it." He's seeing his life as a sad miserable existence. Everyone in the show seems to be headed in that direction.

To me, Tony is a hopeless romantic (among other things). We see these recurring themes of idols and traditions being skewed from how he "sees" them to how they actually are. Chris explaining how his father was actually nothing more than a "junkie" when Tony actually looked up to him. Along with the Pauly experience earlier this season.

Tony would like for someone (Chris) to look up to him and carry on tradition like the ole' days, when there was pride and power being part of the family, but he can't help but feel he might actually be a junkie and it's all just an illusion. Chris's sobriety and being away from the crew is only shining light on this reality, but he will be destroyed as well.

It was mentioned earlier, but the saddest thing that could happen in this season, and would really hurt everyone watching, would be the death of Meadow due to some mob activity. I think this alone will make Tony regret his entire life of crime and that if he could go back and do it all over, it would be different. But, the crux of the show is, you can't go back and do it again, we've got to live with the decisions we make.

Aaron
post #374 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Case said that he never changed his original ending for the show. If you look at the history of the show nobody ever knew how many seasons we were going to have. Seasons were added along came new story lines.

Throughout the history of the show many story lines were leading us to think Christopher might flip. AJ was a troubles kid picking fights and running with the wrong crowd. What happen to the storyline of AJ in Military school?
AJ has panic attacks like his father, He is now seeing a shrink, and Tony is crying to Melfi that it's unfair you pass your faults to your children.

No AJ won't be boss but I could see Chris flipping, Tony and his crew going behind bars, and AJ getting into the Mob life.

Check out Dinger's
post #375 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 12:47 PM

I hope it doesn't iust showing the guys deteriorating the way described a few posts above... I hope the show goes out with a bang.

4 or 5 unexpected whackings might do the trick.

I can deff see something in the mix with Chris.... either flipping, or just packing up, making a few key hits and settling off with his wife and kids.
post #376 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob423 View Post

what do you guys think about this.....

AJ's girlfriend is an informant for the FBI, thus the reason for her quick departure from AJ. Similar situation with adrianna, the crew leaves this responsibility to AJ and makes him whack her.

Possible? Sounds good to me... Who knows..

we haven't seen the last of that sneaky hot bombshell blanca.... there's something more to her story... she goes out with aj to get closer to tony but she got scared and bails out and can't go through with it.... AJ finds out, Tells Tony, Tony either makes AJ kill her or sends out of the boys...

what do you guys think??

She left because AJ is a little boy.
post #377 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

To the contrary, Tony and his guys are all basically loser sociopaths, a group into which AJ will fit right in. Slightly more seriously, AJ now has a sense of direction as an enforcer for his friends' gambling ring and it's clear that he is loving it -- even if he did have a lot of help. I'm not saying that AJ is going to become the boss at the end of four episodes, or ever for that matter. I am saying, though that it looks as if he is going to get involved in organized crime.

Most of Tony's guys are men who would fare well in a fist fight. Who is AJ gonna beat up? I doubt he could take his sister.
post #378 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 03:32 PM

Wasn't there an episode where AJ was a pretty good football player (until he had a panic attack)? That suggests he has a degree of physical toughness. But I agree, he is an emotional wuss.
post #379 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Most of Tony's guys are men who would fare well in a fist fight. Who is AJ gonna beat up? I doubt he could take his sister.

not true at all...Dougie Howser's buddy got his ass kicked by Artie of all people. Vito would hardly be considered intimidating physically. Or Ralph.

As someone mentioned....a GUN is the equalizer here.
post #380 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:

His background is more mob related than acting. There's an interesting article on thesmokinggun.com about his criminal background, beatdowns, cop chases, extortion, etc.
post #381 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't watch 'em, don't read about 'em. Seeing previews, coming attractions, is not for me. I prefer to see things-- anything as fresh as possible.... if I had ADD perhaps I'd view them.

Exactly. As for the Fred Barnes book, surely someone wil write another book on all the propaganda that one man pointed to the failure of Saddam to honor the Gulf War I treaty.

Of course the litany will continue until the next election that it was solely one man who proclaimed Saddam to be in violation of numerous aspects of that treaty. Only one man in the US, not anywhere else in the world in any intelligence agency.

And terrorists are solely motivated by this one man and will become Cinderella after the next US election. Good grief, the political allusions to Chase are somewhat overextended.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #382 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yeah, well as some might say, character matters. And this isn't your grandfather's mafia.

This is the non-honorable, no rules but undisciplined losers with a thirst for shortcuts and immediate gratification.

Shoot, Gotti's son, long before dad made him head of the crew, was a young guy running around NYC clubs and intimidating and beating up poor guys out just having a good time who had the misfortune of getting in his way.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #383 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

He was at the poker game where chris threw Paulie's nephew out the window. Infact he was at the window screaming to get help. Just checked the credits Max Casella played Benny Fazio last night.

he also had the beef with artie bucco when he scammed the credit cards with the hostess from artie's restaurant

Somewhat of a Verizon FIOS insider....

Xbox Gamertag: Mikey Palmice
post #384 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post

Wasn't there an episode where AJ was a pretty good football player (until he had a panic attack)? That suggests he has a degree of physical toughness. But I agree, he is an emotional wuss.

nah, all he really did was jump on a fumbled football

Somewhat of a Verizon FIOS insider....

Xbox Gamertag: Mikey Palmice
post #385 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

She left because AJ is a little boy.

well who wouldn't? i've hated this character from day one. those of you who think this idiot is going to morph into a mob boss are delusional and don't know a damn thing about the mafia. he's a coward, a crybaby and an idiot. look at the ny crew and see how they offed people who actually HAD balls and tried to assume leadership. the rest of the family would NEVER stand by and let aj take over...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #386 of 1675 Old 05-08-2007, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post

being a pretty good football player does not equate to physical toughness. l cite deion sanders as exhibit a and randy moss as exhibit b...

remember how he won over blanca in the first place? how he went downstairs to confront the thugs, only instead of confronting them he bribed them with a bike? lol

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #387 of 1675 Old 05-09-2007, 06:43 AM

lmfao...

or how could we forget the botched uncle junior stabbing where he stood there hysterical crying staring his uncle down lol.
post #388 of 1675 Old 05-09-2007, 07:19 AM

A&E was running a commercial with scenes from their next ep.

Paulie telling Chris "you go crying to the big guy again and we are going to have big problems my friend"

Isn't that what Chris just did?
post #389 of 1675 Old 05-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

well who wouldn't? i've hated this character from day one...

Really from day 1? AJ had the best line in the 1st episode after he heard Grandma wasn't coming. "What, No F%#&*%@ Ziti?"

Check out Dinger's
post #390 of 1675 Old 05-09-2007, 07:54 AM

AJ is a sniveling pansy. He is a spoiled rich kid.

Will he ever be a mob boss, yes he could be.

Will he last long as boss, no he will not.

No one seems to bring up that New York has almost the exact situation going on.

Little Carmine is AJ only older. And he was boss when his father died. He lost a power struggle and gave up.

That is the significance of his talk with Tony this season as well. Carmine could be the boss that would unite the family, but he doesn't want it.

When I say that AJ and his punks could run Jersey, that is with Tony in charge of New York. AJ would be boss in name only with his punks falling in line. Screw with AJ or do not recognize him, and you will answer to Tony.

And I do not care what his character has looked like in the past. If AJ kills Phil, the respect and reputation will follow very very quickly. Especially considering that he is Tony's son.

As far as weaklings, many on this show have not been physically tough. Blundetto, Sil, Christopher, Junior, Doogie's buddy, Vito, Ralphie, and Richie to name quite a few.

These guys hire physically tough people to work for them. Remember Tony's driver, that he "beat up" to show he still deserves respect. The guy was a monster, yet he took a beating because he was told to.

Also, for those of you who think that AJ could not transform into a mob guy in so little a time frame, I do not agree.

Once the inner monster is triggered, and the power and greed take over, the transformation could occur very quickly.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page