The Sopranos on HBO HD - The Back 9 - March 2012 Update - The cast speaks out. - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor3 View Post

Sarah Shahi. Now I remember where I've seen that face before - she was the hottie on the short-lived "Teachers".

She plays on Showtime's "The L Word". From what I've found by searching, she has several lesbian love scenes. No flesh yet though.

I don't have Showtime.

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atdauph View Post

Also, I thought it was real funny when he kept mentioning the tree through the baby seat.

This was Tony's way of justifying this to himself. He needs to believe that Chris would have eventually caused the baby's death. This helps turn off his ever annoying conscience.

"The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry you" - Jack Bauer
post #453 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

I'm not sure that's any more ironic then Chris choosing 'The Departed' soundtrack as his final 'easy listening' choice, just before he became 'departed'.

Right, which is why I said that on post 442

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #454 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post

Didn't his first panic attack happen before he was going to a job with his cousin?

His first panic attack happened as a child. They were about to eat supper which was meat his father took from Satrielle's after cutting someones fingers off.

"The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry you" - Jack Bauer
post #455 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post

Tony is a monster because of the calm effortless way he can kill people. Like Hannibal Lector, his pulse rate never got above ....

Exactly.

...and once again, big praise to Mr. Gandolfini for his superb acting. I loved his casual over the shoulder glance at the passing car's headlights.

Larry

post #456 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Another great touch was when Chris was trying to tune out Tony by trying to find something to crank up on his stereo and then ironically finding the sound track to The Departed-- and thenblasting the same song that Tony was singing at the beginning of the last episode.

I'll do you one better: it was a "Departed" soundtrack but it was on a bootleg CD (complete with Sharpie handwriting). Ahh those wacky NJ mobsters (and the erudite TV writers that make them come to life)!
post #457 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

I saw it completely opposite. AJ is not comfortble being tough. He said to his shrink "why can't everybody just get along." He's not interested in the violence. He's been dragged into it because of with whom he's being hanging around. I see him revoting against this in some way - maybe violently, ironically.

I agree that AJ's reactions in the shrink's office indicated his growing distaste for violence. His, Why can't everybody just get along, line was originally spoken by Rodney King, which I thought was deliciously ironic and a classic Chase touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyboy View Post

Does anybody else think that Tony was also merciful in this? I think Chris would have died anyway and suffered while dying. I think a lot went into this.

I think Tony was pissed that Christopher is back on drugs, pissed that he seemed to want to drive off the road and kill them both before Tony grabbed the wheel, pissed that Chris was maybe a rat (Departed cd & his conversation w/ Melfi about it), and being merciful because he still loved Chris but had to do what was necessary.

Yes. Tony having learned that Christopher was back on drugs scared Tony. He was already concerned about Christopher's attitude and that Christopher, who knew WAY too much, might rat him out to the feds. He decided that the risk of a strung out Christopher betraying him was a risk he was not willing to take.
post #458 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right, which is why I said that on post 442

Hmmm. No wonder it sounded vaguely familiar.

Yeah, but mine could go all the way up to '11'!

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #459 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Yeah, but mine could go all the way up to '11'!

Yes Nigel, yours is louder.

Larry

post #460 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglyle View Post

This was Tony's way of justifying this to himself. He needs to believe that Chris would have eventually caused the baby's death. This helps turn off his ever annoying conscience.

It wasn't "justifying"...the babyseat thing was a big part of what made him do it to begin with. When he punches 9-1 on his phone he notices the babyseat and that's when he flips the lid closed. I think that was more of why he killed him then anything (or at least a big reason). In fact, he focuses on it twice before he kills Chris.

Also, he didn't believe Chris was a rat. If he thought he was a rat, he'd have killed him before. Part of the reason he killed him was because he thought he might TURN into a rat, but he didn't believe he already was one.

Isn't it odd that after he killed Big Pussy (who WAS a rat) he went into a deep depression...yet he kills his own nephew, one who he felt of as his son, and one who he had at one point promised to "lead the family into the future", and he doesn't feel an ounce of sorrow and in fact gets mad when others do (and then actually goes and nails Chris's gomah to boot). Paulie actually felt more grief about losing Chrissy than Tony did, and that says a lot.

As for AJ, I think he's been getting a lot of facetime lately and he evidently has a role to play in the way this thing wraps up. Maybe he rebels against this violence by taking out his dad? Would be kindof ironic for tony to have his mom, uncle, and then son all try to take him out.

Or maybe Tony's dream where he confesses to Melfi is a premonition (like the Big Pussy dreams). Maybe he's "hinted" enough about the murders that she rats him out in the end.

off topic - I watched "Copland" yesterday and it was like a Soprano's episode. Carmella, Phil, Carlo, the hardware store guy, and I think even Paulie were in it. It was filmed in 97 I believe..was that prior to Soprano's actually starting?
post #461 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 08:59 AM

Christopher and Big Pussy's situations were very different.

Pussy betrayed Tony.

Christopher was just a drug addict.

Tony rationalized killing Christopher because of what could happen down the road (tree branch/carseat). He was a danger to more than just his business. He could have ended up hurting a lot more people. And he was in really bad shape.

Pussy was perfectly healthy, and his only sin was flipping to the feds.

Do not forget that Tony and Pussy were very close, like brothers.

So one killing was for the good of society (in his mind), the other was about business.

I think that when Tony says I get it, he has received clarification that he did the right thing in killing Christopher. He took the fact that he was winning at gambling again as a sign of justification.
post #462 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow... what a great episode. The last two episodes have been as good as those from years ago. It just leaves you speechless.

This is actually the second time in recent weeks they have used the song "Comfortably Numb." I'm sure it's intentional. A theme for this season/the ending of the show?
post #463 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

I'm still very fond of Tony's Russian gf myself.

I see her on the street in Manhattan all the time. She must either live or work near my office. Not such a bad thing passing by Tony's hot goomah on the street on your way to lunch...

And what an amazing episode. This show will be sorely missed.
post #464 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Pussy was perfectly healthy

He withdrew from Dancing with The Stars after only one week, however, after finding the necessary training and preparation too physically demanding.

I wouldn't say he was "perfectly healthy"
post #465 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbodin View Post

It wasn't "justifying"...the babyseat thing was a big part of what made him do it to begin with. When he punches 9-1 on his phone he notices the babyseat and that's when he flips the lid closed. I think that was more of why he killed him then anything (or at least a big reason). In fact, he focuses on it twice before he kills Chris.

Also, he didn't believe Chris was a rat. If he thought he was a rat, he'd have killed him before. Part of the reason he killed him was because he thought he might TURN into a rat, but he didn't believe he already was one.

Isn't it odd that after he killed Big Pussy (who WAS a rat) he went into a deep depression...yet he kills his own nephew, one who he felt of as his son, and one who he had at one point promised to "lead the family into the future", and he doesn't feel an ounce of sorrow and in fact gets mad when others do (and then actually goes and nails Chris's gomah to boot). Paulie actually felt more grief about losing Chrissy than Tony did, and that says a lot.

As for AJ, I think he's been getting a lot of facetime lately and he evidently has a role to play in the way this thing wraps up. Maybe he rebels against this violence by taking out his dad? Would be kindof ironic for tony to have his mom, uncle, and then son all try to take him out.

Or maybe Tony's dream where he confesses to Melfi is a premonition (like the Big Pussy dreams). Maybe he's "hinted" enough about the murders that she rats him out in the end.

off topic - I watched "Copland" yesterday and it was like a Soprano's episode. Carmella, Phil, Carlo, the hardware store guy, and I think even Paulie were in it. It was filmed in 97 I believe..was that prior to Soprano's actually starting?

The Sopranos debuted in Jan '99.
post #466 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 AM

Absolutely amazing episode. Even though I was kinda expecting Chris to get wacked, I never in a million years thought it would be from the hands of Tony himself! I was still shocked. Amazing episode. AJ is becoming a chip right off the old block, complete with psycological problems and the need of being on some kind of drug in order to keep from going off the deep end.
I wonder what is gonna happen with Meadow. She seems to have no role at all during these last episodes. That's why I am thinking that something surprising will happen with her.
post #467 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netmaster View Post

I wonder what is gonna happen with Meadow. She seems to have no role at all during these last episodes. That's why I am thinking that something surprising will happen with her.

Either she gets whacked or kidnapped by the competition as a pawn to use against Tony, or she becomes the realization of the Mafia's worst nightmare - The Don-na.

Chance favor the prepared mind
post #468 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 10:03 AM

I always thought Meadow to be a lot more accepting of the mob lifestyle than AJ or even Carmella. I think it would definitely be a huge surprise to see her wack someone since she has seemed seperate from the rest of the family in recent seasons.
post #469 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 AM

Boy, the NJ situation has gone to sh-t.

One captain (Chrissy) is whacked by his own boss.

Another captain (Paulie) hates the rest of the crew for ditching his mom's funeral and is becoming increasingly unstable.

AJ is on a downwards spiral into violence and crime.

Carmela is still pining about Adrianna and is mourning the death of Chrissy.

A rejuvenated Phil Leotardo is applying more and more pressure.

And where's Tony while all this is going on? He's in Vegas doing peyote with a stripper.
post #470 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Yesterday was also the set up for big a tony-phil confrontation. That arrangement just inst going to work out. I still believe we will see a short lived war before this is done. With only 3 episodes left i expect a lot to happen next week.

Cant wait.

post #471 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 10:50 AM

Interesting theory,,

Quote:
Then they drove to the desert where Tony watched the sun rise over the mountains. That's when he had his epiphany. I get it! I get it! he roared. Those lights he keeps seeing? The light in the operating room. The light outside his hotel room. The headlights above him at the accident. The light on the bathroom ceiling. They're not leading him to death. It's a sign of life. He's going to survive.

post #472 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbodin View Post

Off topic response (sorry, gang): I started to watch Cop Land yesterday, too, but when I saw the close up of Edie Falco, near the beginning of the film, I recognized that TNT was showing us a cropped 4:3 print, which they had stretched to 16:9. I can't stand that and simply won't watch anything shown that way, so I deleted it.

Back on topic: Yes, Cop Land, released in August 1997, predated The Sopranos, which did not start until January 1999:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118887/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141842/episodes
post #473 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Christopher's death leaves an empty spot for Bobby to move up, like Tony mentioned in the 1st episode this season while out on the lake.

AlbanyHDTV.com webmaster
post #474 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Terrific episode to be sure. It really sets up everything - Tony's season long downward spiral is ending. In killing Chris, he does what he thinks needs to be done and, afterward, goes to great lengths to convince himself (to assuage what self-guilt he has) and others that losing Chris isn't so bad (probably necessary). The baby seat, not wearing a seat belt, baby will have to grow up with Chris's nose, Chris was unstable and disloyal, drug abuser, potential rat, etc. He brings it up in casual conversation enough to almost cause suspicion, but he is just convincing himself.

Finally, he goes to Vegas and through a sex and drug induced "enlightenment", the downward spiral ends. He "gets it" and getting rid of Chris was the defining act and moment. Since that act, he gets a hot chick (former Dallas Cowboy cheerleader, btw), great sex, drugs and then as he leaves - he starts winning big at the tables. Final and total justification and validation of his new enlightened outlook. For me, it will set him on his course of new found confidence to provoke and confront Phil and put the pieces in play for the explosive final episodes.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #475 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

For me, it will set him on his course of new found confidence to provoke and confront Phil and put the pieces in play for the explosive final episodes.

This thread is brimming with some pretty wild speculation, but I gotta say that this one makes a lotta sense . . . . until we run into David Chase's next strange, unexpected twist, that is.

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.
---Ray Bradbury
post #476 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Another great touch was when Chris was trying to tune out Tony by trying to find something to crank up on his stereo and then ironically finding the sound track to The Departed-- and thenblasting the same song that Tony was singing at the beginning of the last episode.

When Chris announced that this the great soundtrack from the movie Departed I got annoyed that this was some sort of product placement. I half expected Tony to reply "Yeah, and it is available now at your local Sam Goody or on Amazon.com". Once Chris started playing with the controls I realized the disc was foreshadowing his departure.

"Sweet Cracker Sandwich!"--Satchel Pooch
post #477 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydreb View Post

And where's Tony while all this is going on? He's in Vegas doing peyote with a stripper.

Does she strip? I thought she was a hooker.

"Some have the speed, and the right combinations, but if you can't take the punches, it don't mean a thing."
post #478 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy View Post

The word "dancing" was mentioned, I got the impression she was a pole dancer working her way through college.
post #479 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy View Post

Tony specifically mentioned that she was "stripping [or dancing] her way through college" or something like that.
post #480 of 1675 Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice View Post

I thought he said I did it too, but meaning he killed Chris

me too.

"I get it" makes sense but when i was watching i thought it was "i did it" -- and as you say, in reference to him killing chris.

did anyone confirm with the subtitles?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page