The Sopranos on HBO HD - The Back 9 - March 2012 Update - The cast speaks out. - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1675 Old 05-16-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

This show is based on character studies. Not some contrived drama for the sake of wow-ing. It may seem anti-climactic, but just take a look at real life. How many people do you know that actually have dramatic lives similar to any of the characters on most any other network TV show? Something tells me that you have never met ONE person that has experienced as much drama as any ONE character ever seen on ER, Grey's Anatomy, House, 24, Lost, Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives, Heroes, and the list goes on and on.

I'm not saying that The Sopranos is not dramatic. It's just that the characters of The Sopranos are based on real-world problems: Empty nest (as Meadow moves out), your kids dating outside their race (Meadow dating the black dude), divorce (Tony and Carmella's break-up), our psycho-therapy society (Dr. Melfi's office), depression (Tony), husbands cheating on their wives, necessary evil's, life pressures, etc. Sure, the mob stuff is contrived and is simply a method for David Chase to show his parallels towards real life experiences.

Yes, that's what I was saying... All these mob "ideas" being posted here, that would each need a season to develop by themselves, mostly aren't going to come about.
I will say, however, that the show seems to often "lead" the viewer into thinking "this or that" must surely be comming.. but it often never does, & we are left with the "Tony goes shopping for a new parakeet cage" type show instead ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1675 Old 05-16-2007, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that Tony had a peyote induced experience, which made him THINK he had a deep spiritual understanding of everything and the meaning of life? I am unprepared to give mescaline any more credit than that. I suspect that Dr. Melfi would agree.

no, i'll stick to my first statement.

this sounds like its coming from someone who has never experienced a "trip" firsthand...have you? it is difficult to fully comprehend the type of "understanding" that is attainable w/o going through it yourself. this is why i suspect so many people were left scratching their heads or thinking that Tony said "I did it!" at the conclusion of "Kennedy & Heidi".

"spiritual" or what-have-you experiences can come from mescaline (or other psychedelic drugs), meditation, religion, traumatic experience, etc. etc. just b/c one is chemically induced doesn't make it any less valid of an experience.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #543 of 1675 Old 05-16-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post

Tony is either going to have sex with Melfi or kill her.

I think that view pretty much sums up why TV sucks so bad. It's exactly what most viewers would expect, if not demand, from a show. And at that, all within 58 minutes, to boot.

And Hollywood shrugs, "Give the people what they want."
post #544 of 1675 Old 05-16-2007, 04:22 PM

Liked: 10
Wow, so I am the poster child for why tv sucks so bad?

As Ralphie said "IT WAS A JOKE!".

I do agree that this show is about characters.

But it is also about mob life.

Has there ever been another show that has killed as many of its characters during its run?

Pussy, Richie, Jackie, Jackie Jr., Ralphie, Vito, Christopher, Adrianna, Tony B?

Plus several other captains that I do not recall their names right now.

Don't kid yourself, this is a mafia show, and it has survived because it is a mafia show.

The character studies of these guys is what has elevated it to a great mafia show instead of just a good one.

Besides all that, didn't Tony fantasize about having sex and killing Melfi throughout the series?

And didn't many think that Tony was going to kill the guy who raped her? I did. But they didn't go that route, because it would have been too easy.

This show has never gone the easy route. It always keeps you guessing.

So that is what some of us are doing, guessing at how it plays out. Some guesses are serious, some are not. But they are all in fun.

Lighten up and make a guess of your own.

TV is supposed to be entertainment, why don't we treat it as such!
post #545 of 1675 Old 05-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Someone asked why Phil still has a beef with Tony. Didn't he run into the back end of a truck and get all banged up when Tony was chasing him over a debt? I think it was him.
And my guess is that Dr. Melfi and Phil are both dead meat.
post #546 of 1675 Old 05-16-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that Tony had a peyote induced experience, which made him THINK he had a deep spiritual understanding of everything and the meaning of life? I am unprepared to give mescaline any more credit than that. I suspect that Dr. Melfi would agree.

But isn't that what spiritual is all about? What you think? What life means to you personally? If peyote helped, or induced, him to get "there" then that's all that matters. Spirituality is a personal thing, nothing more, so however it's attained doesn't matter. No one really knows what real effect different drugs have on the mind and how the mind itself works.

From personal experience I can say that doing mescaline was one of the most delightful experiences I've ever had, very mellow, in control and non-incapacitating. Of course, we chewed the dried buttons with most of the strychnine(we hoped) scraped out, doing it that way was a bit nasty, but after that, it was great.
post #547 of 1675 Old 05-16-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

But isn't that what spiritual is all about? What you think? What life means to you personally? If peyote helped, or induced, him to get "there" then that's all that matters. Spirituality is a personal thing, nothing more, so however it's attained doesn't matter. No one really knows what real effect different drugs have on the mind and how the mind itself works.

Indeed, whether it's a pill, a plant, a book, a priest, whatever, having a major revelation is no less powerful.

Tripping just increases the odds a bit.

They better make it relevant next week though.
post #548 of 1675 Old 05-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe View Post

They better make it relevant next week though.

They won't
post #549 of 1675 Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

yeah nothing like a burning bush or syphilis induced dementia or anything else of that sort.
post #550 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Someone asked why Phil still has a beef with Tony. Didn't he run into the back end of a truck and get all banged up when Tony was chasing him over a debt? I think it was him.
And my guess is that Dr. Melfi and Phil are both dead meat.

Yea that was Tony, he ran phils car into the truck then beat him after that
post #551 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

When it comes to "spiritual understanding," that's a distinction without a difference if ever I saw one. In these matters, perception IS reality.

It's like telling a devout Christian, "There is no God. You just think that there is."
post #552 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

I think that view pretty much sums up why TV sucks so bad. It's exactly what most viewers would expect, if not demand, from a show. And at that, all within 58 minutes, to boot.

And Hollywood shrugs, "Give the people what they want."

Ummm, I don't think this show has ever been about that. Chase has gone his own way, and HBO has given him all the leeway he could ever have wanted. It's a rare showrunner that gets that kind of freedom.
post #553 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

yeah nothing like a burning bush or syphilis induced dementia or anything else of that sort.

I hadn't thought of syphilis or dementia but those are as sensible reasons to experience the phenomenon as any other. Others have thought that everything from music to religion to meditation to dope had given them a deep spiritual understanding of everything and the meaning of life. There's is even a name for it, mysticism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysticism

It's whatever floats your boat, I guess.
post #554 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I hadn't thought of syphilis or dementia but those are as sensible reasons to experience the phenomenon as any other. Others have thought that everything from music to religion to meditation to dope had given them a deep spiritual understanding of everything and the meaning of life. There's is even a name for it, mysticism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysticism

It's whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Sigmund Freud said Religion is the opiate for the masses.

These are just my opinions.
post #555 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

i hope you're kidding, b/c that theory is more ridiculous than the one about AJ taking over the north jersey mafia.

I'm not afraid of AJ
post #556 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I agree with the post that most likely the last ever scene of the show will probably take place in Melfi's office. And I'm sure there will also be a reference to ducks, just like the very first Sopranos episode. I just don't see Melfi getting killed, it's not Chase's style.
post #557 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

My niece, who works in a shop in the North Jersey environs, said she passed by a scene being shot a couple of months ago and a film crew member told her that the scene had something to do with a kidnapping. Go figure.
post #558 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

i believe that quote is usually attributed to Karl Marx, which, if true, changes the meaning of the reference big time.

Mike Rife

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

post #559 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

... the last ever scene of the show will probably take place in Melfi's office. And I'm sure there will also be a reference to ducks, just like the very first Sopranos episode. I just don't see Melfi getting killed, it's not Chase's style.

The last scene will be with food.

The duck will be on a platter roasted.

There will be some kind of whole fish and lots of red wine.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #560 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

ROFL! Actually, despite how funny it was in the context you used it, the quote is not quite right. Karl Marx wrote, Religion is the opium of the people.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_of_the_people

Nevertheless, I appreciated the point your were making.
post #561 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

a film crew member told her...

That's nice.

It's ok to speculate on the final episodes, it's inappropriate (IMO) to present an "insider fact" here.
That is a spoiler.

Larry

post #562 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

That's nice.

It's ok to speculate on the final episodes, it's inappropriate (IMO) to present an "insider fact" here.
That is a spoiler.

Hey, it's all speculation and some guy on the street directing traffic, or whatever he was doing, does not qualify as someone positioned to provide "insider fact." I was just throwing another somewhat credible possibility into the discussion mix. And even if a kidnapping was an "insider fact," that could involve just about anyone in the cast.
post #563 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 09:11 AM

Has anyone read the forums on HBO website. There are a ton of spoilers,who knows if they are true or not but there are some crazy ideas.
post #564 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, it's all speculation and some guy on the street directing traffic, or whatever he was doing, does not qualify as someone positioned to provide "insider fact." .

There is a big difference between a film crew member and guy on the street directing traffic.

Larry

post #565 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 AM

I thought I read somewhere that multiple endings have been filmed, so no one really knows how it will turn out.

Maybe Melfi kidnaps the ducks?
post #566 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post

I thought I read somewhere that multiple endings have been filmed, so no one really knows how it will turn out.

Maybe Melfi kidnaps the ducks?

I read that, too, and think it's been confirmed...i.e., that more than one ending has been filmed, not that Melfi kidnaps the ducks.
Filming multiple endings makes sense as far as future options go, e.g., renewal years down the line...doing a film...or just keeping things ambiguous enough to maintain interest in the re-runs. After all, they have been filming alternate dialogue all along that is "clean" enough for A&E telecast.
post #567 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

The last scene will be with food.

The duck will be on a platter roasted.

There will be some kind of whole fish and lots of red wine.

It's too bad they didn't have the foresight to us a goose instead of a duck. Imagine the symbolism in the final show when 'Tony's goose is cooked'.

As for the side dishes, there would just have to be a ton of pasta on the table as well, and maybe just to complete the theme, Tony dies from overeating.

John M
post #568 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
Does that make Tony a dead duck????

Bobby 

post #569 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

I am sure someone already mentioned this, but I am too lazy to wade through the last few pages.

When Tony is laughing hysterically at the roulette table, I got the idea that he thinks Chris was the reason behind all of his 'bad' luck.

Did anyone else think that the sunset(rise) was vaguely familiar to the lighthouse in last season's coma scenes? I thought they tried to make a rhythmic flash to the sunset.
post #570 of 1675 Old 05-17-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Filming multiple endings makes sense as far as future options go, e.g., renewal years down the line...doing a film...or just keeping things ambiguous enough to maintain interest in the re-runs.

I keep seeing people talking about a film. It won't happen. Cast members have stated in interviews that it wouldn't be possible. Read into that what you will, but even if no one else dies, there isn't much left to work with. In my opinion, that is.

Art
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page