The Sopranos on HBO HD - The Back 9 - March 2012 Update - The cast speaks out. - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1675 Old 05-19-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Humm ... so how many SUV's have rolled with the big T inside? Is Chase an "evil SUV" hater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1675 Old 05-19-2007, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

ig·no·rant -adjective

1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

"Ignorance" is not the same as "stupid". It's a common mistake to confuse them, especially among those, ah, ignorant of its true meaning.

I am perfectly aware what ignorant means and I state again...I am NOT ignorant about the subject and especially "ADMITTEDLY" ignorant of the subject (since I at no point have admitted anything of the sort).

You are in fact "ignorant" of my experience in the subject and my history around it, so how can you know how uniformed or unaware I am of this subject? But thanks for your dictionary lesson anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe noche View Post

Is it really that "odd" of a question? Personally I associate pride with a sense of accomplishment (in other words ..things I have done).

well in your case your sense of accomplishment is on something you tried...there are plenty who have the same sense of accomplishment by managing to refrain. So yes, it did seem an "odd" question as you seem to be implying that the latter should not be allowed that sense of accomplishment.
post #633 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
So the final episode will be June 10th, correct? Will it be the usual length or extended?
post #634 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

By the way, anyone catch the Sopranos spoof on SNL last week? It was hysterical, especially the Silvio impersonation... but as usual... they don't know how or when to end a skit. They rammed this one into the wall and then hammered it into the ground

Yeah, I can never figure out why they do such crappy Sopranos skits. Maybe it's been done before, but it seems like the easiest/funniest Sopranos skit would to have them working (as a crew) in some regular 9-5 job--as a result of them getting busted and turning state's witness. Maybe Tony and the crew being forced to run a McDonald's or something.
post #635 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 07:37 PM

What the heck is a lincoln log sandwich?

And why does it make you want to kill yourself?
post #636 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Nice American History X curb stomp

thought for a second there the grinning guy was going to get his

Somewhat of a Verizon FIOS insider....

Xbox Gamertag: Mikey Palmice
post #637 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Some great moments: Tony at the hospital meeting with AJ's doctors--looking down and seeing a tooth in his pant's cuff.

Melfi: Perhaps it was a cry for help, perhaps on some level he knew the rope wasn't long enough to hold him under.

Tony: Perhaps he's a f***ing idiot. Historically that's been the case.
post #638 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Now, that was like the old Sopranos episodes. How am I gonna get to sleep tonight? I am sure going to miss this........the best TV ever.
post #639 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
All of Tony's problems in his psyche are because of his Mother.
So he's said.
That's been the foundation of this show since the first episode.
Now Tony is using his Mom's most famous linePoor you
We've come full circle.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #640 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

This epidsode was blanketed with all the character's issues but is it just me or was the scene shot with Meadow's eyes making her look better than ever. When Tony went to go met out some justice, I found myself actually enjoying it immensely.

Must be the Italian side of family.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #641 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I was hoping AJ would follow thru his suicide. I'm so tired of his character. Otherwise the rest of the show was great.

If people still think AJ is shaping up to be the leader of the family, I think that's a pretty long shot now.

Afro GT
post #642 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 09:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

I think the story tonight pretty much shut AJ out of running any of the family business, at least in the final two episodes. I do think it is pretty clear that there will be a MAJOR confrontation with Phil and the NY group before the series ends. If not, they will have a lot of angry fans. They surely couldn't leave that story line hanging.

John M
post #643 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I don't think you have to be Italian to do what Tony did. That would piss me off if someone did that to my daughter. It was one of the most violent scenes I've ever seen I couldn't watch it.

Also Tony with Dr Melfi was talking about his seperation with his mother when he was talking about the bus stuff. Tony finally seperated when she tried to kill him and when he started saying she's dead to me. Aj is a mommas boy but so was Tony. Carmella is really screwing up this kid, she has to let him go, so he can grow up.

Funniest line was when Paulie was on acid and Uncle Junes eyes where laser beams.

This is definitly one of the best episodes.

These are just my opinions.
post #644 of 1675 Old 05-20-2007, 10:50 PM

This is such a depressing and disturbing show, I sometimes wonder why I watch it. But it is so well written, so compelling. It's like watching a train wreck. Especially after tonight's episode, there is no way for this to end that doesn't involve the whole thing being blown up. The only question is who the casualties will be.
post #645 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 AM

Phil is something here. First he takes it on his own and kills Vito, not only one of Tony's captains but is chief earner which spreads Tony a little thin. On top of that, Tony is stuck with the financial burden of Vito's family. Now all things considered, 'family honor' was Phil's motivation for the attack on Vito to begin with. Now that Vito is gone, he actually plays down that family angle leaving the responsibility to Tony.

And that whole dumping thing. Phil is playing hardball with that. Obviously Phil thinks he is in a real position of power here, given that members of his crew think they can get away with such blatant insults to Tony's family. That was more than just a grave mistake from too much Sambuca, that was a blatant insult and attack given the guy thought he could get away with it, and if Tony had let it go it would have been interpretted as an unprecidented weakness. Tony was forced into that position to do what he did to save face.
post #646 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Maybe one of those brilliant psychoanalysts who had A.J. taking over the mob can fill us in on whether that happens while he's in the booby hatch or after he's released.
post #647 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 01:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

You mean this...

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...eo/#mea=103582

Thanks for the post.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #648 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 02:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

Some great moments: Tony at the hospital meeting with AJ's doctors--looking down and seeing a tooth in his pant's cuff.

Melfi: Perhaps it was a cry for help, perhaps on some level he knew the rope wasn't long enough to hold him under.

That was hilarious, and true on so many levels and not just for AJ.
post #649 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 02:17 AM

curb stomp!

Samsung HP-S4253 PDP
post #650 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Get the mop.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #651 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

I laughed so hard, I had tears in my eyes. What a great line. I was still laughing this morning.

Let's have a show of hands. How many where shouting "do it" when Tony put the gun to the head of Phil's little weasel of a sidekick? Man, I wanted to see cherry pie all over the wall so bad. If they don't whack him before the show ends, I will never forgive the writers.

Some observations, from someone who doesn't matter:

They keep bringing up the two Arab guys. Is there something brewing here?

How does Little Carmine run a family when he is such a wimp?

Why does Tony never hire any new guys to replace the ones that he loses (Vito and Christopher and that guy that wanted to move to Florida and hung himself?) Seems like the same crew around him all the time.

I thought Tony was broke? He buys a fancy watch in Vegas, out of guilt of course.

Did anyone start to daydream when you heard the words "Meadow" and "rear ended" in the same sentence or was it just me? Man, I am gonna miss that girl.
post #652 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Dr Melfi and all this psycho-babble is a huge part of this show. Wonder if some didn't like this episode because of it? For years now and Tony's depression comes from his seperation issues with his mother. Now Aj going through the same stuff from the hands of Carm. Everybody gets dumped at one point in his life, and some are better adjusted then AJ that can handle it. Meadow is the most grown up in this family dynamics.

When Carmella was telling Tony the depression is on his side of the family, she couldn't be anymore wrong! Tony is becoming more insightful and Carmella is the one who needs therapy. Time to cut the apron strings.

With AJ's suicide attempt, and Tony starting to "get it" I wonder if the ending is Tony leaving Carmella?

These are just my opinions.
post #653 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Anybody notice how Melfi was uninterested in helping Tony after her therapist told her that talk therapy for criminals only serves as a method of justification for their crimes? I thought, for sure, Melfi was going to give up on Tony for the last time.

Chet
post #654 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Think the pool was heated for AJ when he did the suicide attempt?

A really nice episode. My favorite scene was Tony finding the broken tooth in his pants cuff and the expression on his face. Gandolfini is a marvelous actor portraying Tony S's character.

Also, when Tony and Little Carmine were leaving Phil's home and they were having a conversation through the upstairs window. Hilarious...

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #655 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 07:49 AM

What a great episode! It had it all, so many different emotions at play here.

I am in the camp that the confrontation with Meadow was staged to get Tony to react.

It doesn't make sense for Phil to take such a hard stance against it unless it was a setup.

Someone asked about little Carmine being boss? My understanding is that he is not the boss, he was passed over. And he doesn't care because he doesn't want the responsibility. He just wants to make some money and sit in the background.

And yes it appears AJ will not be jumping into any position of power anytime soon. While I think his character is right where he belongs, I can't believe he will be sitting in a mental hospital when the series ends. He could get out/escape and kill someone. Phil, his mother? I just don't see his story ending without something else happening.

He has mirrored Tony now almost to the t.

I was very surprised that Carmela threw that hissy fit and blamed Tony for everything. That was a pretty ****** thing to do. They are really making her out to be a bitch.

I have no idea where the terrorists fit in. Unless someone's theory of Tony ratting out Phil and going into protection is true.

I do know that the next two shows will be very good!
post #656 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post

They keep bringing up the two Arab guys. Is there something brewing here?

The FBI guys mentioned financing, but I didn't catch the whole thing. I sure hope that they don't tie that back to Christopher

Quote:

How does Little Carmine run a family when he is such a wimp?

good question, he took over the lead after his father passed away, he even told Tony recently that he wasn't interested in running the family anymore

Quote:

Why does Tony never hire any new guys to replace the ones that he loses (Vito and Christopher and that guy that wanted to move to Florida and hung himself?) Seems like the same crew around him all the time.

I noticed a new guy in the back at the 'Bing with everyone else, when Tony walked in, after AJ was committed. As for the crew, can you really name someone else who deserved to become a captain who isn't already ?

Quote:

I thought Tony was broke? He buys a fancy watch in Vegas, out of guilt of course.

He probably used the cash he won at the roulette table, while high on peyote, to pay for the watch. Besides, don't be fooled, he's not anywhere near broke

I agree it was a great episode, the writers got back to their original writing. Shame we have to wait two weeks, but that will be nothing compared to 3+ weeks from now when the show will be finished
post #657 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Melfi's confused. Her professional pride tells her that she is helping "improve" Tony, and at the same time her professional insight suggests that her own therapist is trying to manipulate her and get her to quit Tony.

The previews scenes suggest that there will be yet more "civilian" engagement in the upcoming Phil/Tony wars.

The Feds are the wild card here. They could intervene -- or not -- for any reason(s). Maybe they tie the "terrorists" to Phil and break up his bunch. Or Tony's. Or, maybe Phil gets busted for the Vito murder. Or there's an asbestos bust.

That last scene with Tony and AJ hulking dejectedly down the hall was pitiful. It doesn't look like Tony's in the best frame of mind for a mob war.
post #658 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I've got the same Loop Loc pool cover, and I can tell you there's no way that AJ had the motivation needed to unhook the dozen or more straps to expose the deep end. The plastic bag over the head was also a bit curious - I guess he figured drowning wouldn't be so bad if he can keep the water out.

Great episode, although I wish they had more time left to really focus on the NY/NJ mob climax.
post #659 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For all those that thought AJ was mob material.... How's that workin out for ya?
post #660 of 1675 Old 05-21-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I was hoping AJ would follow thru his suicide. I'm so tired of his character. Otherwise the rest of the show was great.

If people still think AJ is shaping up to be the leader of the family, I think that's a pretty long shot now.

I was rooting for him to die too. Sick of his whiney a@@.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page