The Sopranos on HBO HD - The Back 9 - March 2012 Update - The cast speaks out. - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 1675 Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I read this article a few days ago, also Paulie didn't like the fact that he had to kill a woman.. The original idea was for him to choke her, but they compromised on a pillow suffocating..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1675 Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
I thought the ending Sucked Big Time ! & I loved the Sopranos as a all best on TV

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1653 of 1675 Old 03-02-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yes, the ending was stupid. Outside of going with the "it was all a dream" route, I could not think of a dumber way to end the series.
post #1654 of 1675 Old 03-02-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I thought it couldn't end any other way. The show was becoming more and more philosophical and existential at the end and the ending fit.

Because what could they do? A scarface kill em all shoot out? A godfather 3 hit that leaves tony alive but sacrifices meadow? It's all been done.
post #1655 of 1675 Old 03-03-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Yahoo article title is misleading. If you read the entire Vanity Fair article, Gandolfini goes on to say "After I had a day to sleep, I just sat there and said, 'That's perfect."

Anyone who didn't like the ending were the same ones who complained during the series run when episodes weren't filled with enough killings for their taste.

In retrospect, the ending was perfect. It said all you needed to know about what would eventually happen to Tony; it wasn't a question of what, just a question of when. It was all about the reality of him living his life every minute of every day knowing that, not to mention knowing that anyone close to him in any way, even by coincidence physically, was also in the exact same boat.

No wonder he had blackouts.....

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1656 of 1675 Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally, I was hoping for Tony to die from a horrible bout of exploding diarrhea due to eating too much pasta fazool.
post #1657 of 1675 Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Topics merged, post added from 'Hot Off The Press', and title edited.

post #1658 of 1675 Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wow. Catch these VF photos by Annie Leibovitz.

An American Family

In April 2007, Vanity Fair chronicled the making of the greatest pop-culture masterpiece of its day—HBO’s The Sopranos, the cast of which posed for a series of portraits by Annie Leibovitz. The indelible photographs from that shoot are curated here for the first time on VF.com; for a sneak-peek at the magazine’s oral history of the show, featured in the April 2012 issue, watch the story’s trailer.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...deshow#slide=1

post #1659 of 1675 Old 03-03-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Those are pretty awesome, thanks for the link!
post #1660 of 1675 Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The amazing thing is that almost 5 years after the last episode aired, The Sopranos still generate buzz.

post #1661 of 1675 Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

In retrospect, the ending was perfect. It said all you needed to know about what would eventually happen to Tony; it wasn't a question of what, just a question of when. It was all about the reality of him living his life every minute of every day knowing that, not to mention knowing that anyone close to him in any way, even by coincidence physically, was also in the exact same boat.

I didn't have any trouble with the series finale, either, although Chase's claim that it's all perfectly clear if you were paying attention was unconvincing, to me at least. I equate it more to Kubrick's 2001, which is to present a gaggle of ideas without truly explaining anything. Anyway, The Sopranos had an ending, which is more than can be said for my other all time favorite TV series, Deadwood.
post #1662 of 1675 Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow. Catch these VF photos by Annie Leibovitz.

An American Family

In April 2007, Vanity Fair chronicled the making of the greatest pop-culture masterpiece of its dayHBO's The Sopranos, the cast of which posed for a series of portraits by Annie Leibovitz. The indelible photographs from that shoot are curated here for the first time on VF.com; for a sneak-peek at the magazine's oral history of the show, featured in the April 2012 issue, watch the story's trailer.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...deshow#slide=1

Yeah those are Cool seen them back in '07 when she did them ..

Mike

post #1663 of 1675 Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Yahoo article title is misleading. If you read the entire Vanity Fair article, Gandolfini goes on to say "After I had a day to sleep, I just sat there and said, 'That's perfect."

Anyone who didn't like the ending were the same ones who complained during the series run when episodes weren't filled with enough killings for their taste.

Yeah in hindsight It was a good ending I thought weeks later ,but @ the time it just was a huge let down . " The Sopranos " was Soo visceral the whole run,then to let that show end as a "thinking man's ending" to me was a departure that at that minute from what was expected to be a very dramatic ending on my part . I was disappointed to say the least . I wanted the show to go out with a bang ! Not an after thought ..

Mike

post #1664 of 1675 Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Personally, I was hoping for Tony to die from a horrible bout of exploding diarrhea due to eating too much pasta fazool.

Either that, or the gabagool.
post #1665 of 1675 Old 03-04-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Those are pretty awesome, thanks for the link!

Could you get the last picture, number 5? I can't see it; the image area is dark gray.

post #1666 of 1675 Old 03-04-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:

Could you get the last picture, number 5? I can't see it; the image area is dark gray.

Those are some great photos. There is no fifth image. It's just a dark square.

Whatever happened to the movie that was in talks around the end of the show?

Now we just need all the seasons to get released on blu-ray.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #1667 of 1675 Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

No, it's just a teaser to advertise subscribing to Vanity Fair. A lot of sites do that with their images, they'll indicate X of 10 images for example, but the 10th image introduces you to a new selection of images/subjects to scroll through. It's all about page views which equates to ad views, much more real estate to display different ads with those slide shows.
post #1668 of 1675 Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

The last few minutes of the show had so much tension, especially know you were near the end. All of which reinforced the "when". Having talked with a co-worker, who is quite a genius, about it a few months after the show ended his take was exactly what I had hoped and thought. This is Tony's life and the story is over. I could have done without the 10 seconds of blackout though.

I vaguely remember reading an interview with Chase early in the shows run where the question of Tony's end was asked. Chase said he wasn't going to show Tony end up in jail or dead and that wasn't what the story was about.
post #1669 of 1675 Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I didn't have any trouble with the series finale, either, although Chase's claim that it's all perfectly clear if you were paying attention was unconvincing, to me at least. I equate it more to Kubrick's 2001, which is to present a gaggle of ideas without truly explaining anything. Anyway, The Sopranos had an ending, which is more than can be said for my other all time favorite TV series, Deadwood.

Or Carnivale. Or Rome's paced too quickly season 2.

2001 is probably the only movie that I absolutely love thinking about, but was bored to tears and annoyed watching. The volume shifts didn't help much.
post #1670 of 1675 Old 03-11-2012, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For those who don't think Mr. Chase has a sense of humor, here is an excerpt from an article in the New York Times about the soon to return AMC series Mad Men. It's in regards to how creator Matthew Weiner should deal with ending the series, which will occur after three more seasons based on the recent contract extension.

Quote:
Mr. Chase, who wrestled with a comparable predicament on “The Sopranos,” said there was not much insight he could offer into the process except to say that a series finale is a highly personal and subjective decision for any show runner.

“It’s just very difficult to end a series,” he said. “For example, ‘Seinfeld,’ they ended it with them all going to jail. Now that’s the ending we should have had. And they should have had ours, where it blacked out in a diner.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/ar...-premiere.html

post #1671 of 1675 Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For those who don't think Mr. Chase has a sense of humor, here is an excerpt from an article in the New York Times about the soon to return AMC series Mad Men. It's in regards to how creator Matthew Weiner should deal with ending the series, which will occur after three more seasons based on the recent contract extension.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/ar...-premiere.html

I hated the whole Seinfield finale. It didn't make me laugh at all. That is a funny, and probably on point, observation.
post #1672 of 1675 Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

I hated the whole Seinfield finale. It didn't make me laugh at all. That is a funny, and probably on point, observation.

Agreed.

Seinfeld was a weird case where I could find no real fault with the show prior to the disappointing finale.

Chase may have been kidding, but playing that switcheroo probably would have made me better enjoy the finale of both shows.
post #1673 of 1675 Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

I still can't believe the series has ended. While I know full well that it's not going to happen, I feel like I'm still waiting for the next season to show up some fall on HBO.
post #1674 of 1675 Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machpost View Post

I still can't believe the series has ended. While I know full well that it's not going to happen, I feel like I'm still waiting for the next season to show up some fall on HBO.

Their was talk of a movie, but these recent comments (in the last 60 days) from former cast members seems to put the idea on ice.

From The Huffington Post
Quote:

It's been a few years since Steven Van Zandt last played a mobster, but the man who played Tony Soprano's consigliere Silvio Dante.....broke the sad news that the chances of a "Sopranos" movie getting made were slim....on Good Morning New York.

When Rosanna Scotto asked him about a possible "Sopranos" movie, Van Zandt said he didn't think it was likely to happen, despite the series' ambiguous ending that seemed to leave that door open. "I don't think so. Half the cast is dead," he joked, before reminding the hosts that Silvio is "still breathing" after getting shot in the Bada Bing parking lot. "Just in case the movie does happen, Silvio will be there, but nah, it doesn't look likely, it really doesn't," he said.

From The New York Post
Quote:

Q. Are we any closer to someday having a Sopranos movie?

James Gandolfini: I don't think so.

And then there is this, from Edie Falco on NME.com
Quote:

Edie Falco says 'The Sopranos' film could still be made

Carmela Soprano actor says she is 'always the last to know'

Edie Falco has said that the making of a big-screen version of The Sopranos hasn't been ruled out yet. The acclaimed HBO gangster drama finished on television in 2007 after six seasons with the episode Made In America. Fans have been slavering for a movie follow-up ever since.

Now Falco, who played Tony Soprano's wife Carmela, said that while she has still not heard for sure about a film from creator David Chase she has yet to give up hope.

Appearing on US TV’s The Early Show, Falco said: "I'm always the last to know. It's usually my mother that calls and says, 'You guys are doing a movie.' You know, it could go either way."

post #1675 of 1675 Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
James Gandolfini dead after heart attack
By JAMIE SCHRAM, MICHAEL STARR and DAN MacLEOD / Posted: 7:32 PM, June 19, 2013 / http://www.nypost.com/

James Gandolfini, the heavyweight actor who won multiple Emmy Awards for his role as mob boss Tony Soprano in the smash HBO series, died today.

HBO confirmed his death. He was 51.

Gandolfini suffered a heart attack in Italy. He was due to appear at the Taormina Film Festival in Sicily this weekend.

“It is with immense sorrow that we report our client James Gandolfini passed away today while on holiday in Rome, Italy,” said a statement from agents, Mark Armstrong and Nancy Sanders.

“Our hearts are shattered and we will miss him deeply. He and his family were part of our family for many years and we are all grieving,”

Tony Sirico, "Pinkie on "The Sopranos," said in a statement: "He is my best friend in life. He helped me more than anyone else with my career. he is a great person and a family guy."

Gandolfini had battled drug and alcohol addiction, it was revealed during a divorce in 2002.

The Westwood, N.J., actor played Soprano in the critically acclaimed HBO series, which ran from 1999 to 2007.

His character died in the season finale — but the audience never actually sees the moment of his death.

“When I first saw the ending, I said, ‘What the f--k?’” Gandolfini told Vanity Fair of the last episode. “I mean, after all I went through, all this death, and then it’s over like that?”

Gandolfini, who was born on Sept. 18, 1961, attended Rutgers University and launched his acting career on the New York stage — and had his first Broadway role in 1992’s “A Streetcar Named Desire.”

His breakout big screen role was as a hitman in the Quentin Tarentino-penned “True Romance.”

Gandolfini recently played Leon Panetta in “Zero Dark Thirty,” which is based on the raid to take down Osama Bin Laden.

He was set to star in a seven-episode series called “Criminal Justice” on HBO.

Gandolfini lived in Greenwich Village.

“He was special man, a great talent, but more importantly a gentle and loving person who treated everyone no matter their title or position with equal respect,” HBO said in a statment.

“He touched so many of us over the years with his humor, his warmth and his humility. Our hearts go out to his wife and children during this terrible time. He will be deeply missed by all of us.

"Lost" producer Damon Laurence Lindelof tweeted:

“James Gandolfini. You created an icon. And you cut to black way too abruptly. Thank you, and rest in peace.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/james_gandolfini_XKEsZRGTj0ADAuscnNhbXL
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page