The Sopranos on HBO HD - The Back 9 - March 2012 Update - The cast speaks out. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Sopranos on HBO in HDTV
1080i & DD5.1
Conclusion of season six. The last nine episodes of the series, numbers 78-86.
Sunday(s) 9pm ET

Please post all related comments here, and be sure to include your provider.

From HBO.com
Quote:

The critically acclaimed, Emmy® - and Peabody-winning HBO series The Sopranos returns for the second part of its sixth season with additional nine episodes beginning in early 2007.

Called "the television landmark that leaves other landmarks in the dust," by the Washington Post, the first part of Season Six was hailed as a masterpiece by critics. In those episodes, Tony Soprano faced new challenges as his life grew increasingly more complicated. Back together with Carmela, he faced the reality that their kids were no longer children, and yet not grown. And with Johnny Sack in prison, the always-tense relations between the New Jersey and New York families were strained even further.

As Season Six continues, he'll be facing new stresses, including life-altering decisions at home, pressure from the law, and trouble on the job that leaves no one - no one - above suspicion.

Creator David Chase's drama series stars three-time Emmy® winners James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano and Edie Falco as Tony's wife Carmela, plus Lorraine Bracco as therapist Dr. Jennifer Melfi, Emmy® winner Michael Imperioli as Tony's nephew Christopher Moltisanti, and Dominic Chianese as Uncle Junior. Also on hand for Season six are regulars Robert Iler as Anthony Soprano, Jr., Jamie-Lynn Sigler as Meadow Soprano, Tony Sirico as Paulie Walnuts, and Steven Van Zandt as Silvio Dante.

Aida Turturro, who plays Tony's sister Janice, returned to the show as a series regular, as well as Steven R. Schirripa as Bobby "Bacala" Baccalieri, John Ventimiglia as Artie Bucco, and Vincent Curatola as Johnny Sack.

Other Season Six cast members of The Sopranos are Ray Abruzzo as Carmine, Frank Vincent as Phil Leotardo, Peter Bogdanovich as Dr. Elliot Kupferberg, Vincent Pastore as "Big Pussy" Bonpensiero, Joe Gannascoli as Vito Spatafore, Max Casella as Benny, Lenny Venito as Murmur, Carl Capotoro as Little Paulie, Dan Grimaldi as Patsy, Katherine Narducci as Charmaine Bucco, Sharon Angela as Rosalie Aprile, Maureen Van Zandt as Gabrielle Dante and Toni Kalem as Angie Bompensiero.

Guest stars for the sixth season include Daniel Baldwin, Sydney Pollack, Nancy Sinatra, Jonathan LaPaglia, David Margulies, Geraldo Rivera, Ken Leung, Frank John Hughes, Jerry Adler, Tim Daly, Frankie Valli, Hal Holbrook, Ben Kingsley, Julianna Margulies, Treach, Ron Leibman, Elizabeth Bracco and Lord Jamar.

THE SOPRANOS is a production of HBO Original Programming, Brad Grey Television and Chase Films; executive producers, David Chase, Brad Grey, Ilene S. Landress, Terence Winter; co-executive producers, Henry J. Bronchtein and Matthew Weiner; supervising producers, Diane Frolov & Andrew Schneider; producers, Martin Bruestle and Gianna Smart.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

General notes:

- Looks like an interesting list of guest stars, including some from past episodes (Hal Holbrook, Ben Kingsley, Julianna Margulies), and a number of new ones.
- More visits from the dead, at a minimum with Vincent Pastore as "Big Pussy" Bonpensiero listed as a season six cast member.
- Yes, the topic title was influenced by the conclusion of The Masters also on being on today's HD schedule.

post #3 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hold onto your hat, it's going to be a bumpy ride.....

post #4 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Hold onto your hat, it's going to be a bumpy ride.....

???? What ride? Maybe a brawl or two, plus a few "business deals," but that should be it.

There are a few interesting guest appearances this season, though.
post #5 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Looks decent. Watching on Comcast NYC. Definitely can tell the difference between a show shot on Super 16 (like the Sopranos) versus flipping over to CBS for Cold Case (35mm). Lacks a bit of the pop, but its not bad. This is an exceptionally well done show.
post #6 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 06:56 PM

crappy episode after such a long wait.
post #7 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase View Post

???? What ride? Maybe a brawl or two, plus a few "business deals," but that should be it.

Well, having Bobby take a swing at Tony certainly was out of character.
Q. How many times has Tony said Bobby was a puss?
A. A lot.

Now that Bobby has finally stood up to Tony, will Tony respect him? No way, it's just another task on Tony's long list of things to do.

No rest for the wicked.....

post #8 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyboy View Post

?

post #9 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
It's back!

I'm really going to miss this show.

Great start to the final season.
Good character development even at this late stage of the game.

Mixing Grappa and Monopolyalways leads to a fist fight.

TWCNY looked and sounded great.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #10 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I don't agree with the "crappy" assessment either.

Gandalfini did a great job going from depression to vindication after the fight and I loved the scene with Carmella and Janice by the lake.

It was slow at the start, but for a Season opener, it was pretty damn good, IMO.
post #11 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
there is just nothing like the sopranos. impeccable writing and acting....gut wrenching and darkly humorous.

two references to ducks in this ep (one flys behind tony as he is sitting at the lake, nika is singing a song about ducks later on).

of course tony plays the "free parking" rule in monopoly.

love how he got the best of bobby in the end making him do his first hit ("no bow and arrow this time"). the end was classic sopranos....hearing "this magic moment" on the soundtrack as bobby does his first hit, then takes it all in with his daughter one the lake front.

just superb.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #12 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 07:45 PM

sad........the DFs of the world who didn't raise hell when Showtime did this, now you've only brought the pop ups to another premium channel and have no one to blame but yourself - and as we've seen from Showtime, this is only the beginning.....

post #13 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you serious? This is the kind of writing that made this show one of the greatest dramas in premium or broadcast television history.

What was your expectation anyway? If they don't play whack-a-mole during the course of an episode, its a total letdown? They are clearly planting the seeds for what is to come in this final season, and personally I'm looking for quality television, which usually consists of something more than just a head count.

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #14 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

sad........the DFs of the world who didn't raise hell when Showtime did this, now you've only brought the pop ups to another premium channel and have no one to blame but yourself - and as we've seen from Showtime, this is only the beginning.....

Agree, that was an unfortunate site and extremely disconcerting.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #15 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm with the majority opinion here (so far) that this was a very well done episode. Even if you found it somewhat slower and less in-town, mob-crew oriented, it was anything but "crappy." I thought it was wonderfully written and acted and that it looked very good. My take on the Tony being beaten fight is a bit different though. It seems to me this is the start of his general decline and increase in self doubt. He makes an effort at the end to come back, but his excuses were pathetic and he had the look of an almost beaten down man facing the coming end. Not everything need be in-your-face and violent. The nuances were there aplenty and powerfully woven into the story. It set the mood for me and I liked it.

David Chase should be chastised for playing his delay games with the show, but the show itself is still strong and wonderfully written and acted. I am looking forward to more.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #16 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Well, having Bobby take a swing at Tony certainly was out of character.
Q. How many times has Tony said Bobby was a puss?
A. A lot.

Now that Bobby has finally stood up to Tony, will Tony respect him? No way, it's just another task on Tony's long list of things to do.

No rest for the wicked.....

The buildup to that scene was pretty intense. From the beginning, as they were getting drunk, you just KNEW something was going down (Bobby versus Tony, Tony versus Janice, Carmella versus Janice)

Love how Janice's first reaction wasn't happiness that Bobby was defending her honor (which she's bitched at him for not doing previously), but chastizing him for taking on the boss.
post #17 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I really really really like The Sopranos. It's my all-time favorite show on TV. Ever.

Tonight's episode was really great. All the nuances were fantastic. The blood on the house? That looks like a sign of things to come.

I will be very much disappointed if this ends in disaster for Tony. Whether it's him getting whacked or going to jail, I don't want to see it. Everything looks downhill from here on out for Tony. He's so depressed and out of his element ever since Junior shot him. Of course, he's always been dark towards his sister.

The thing about The Sopranos now is the actors seem to work their contracts in such a way that they aren't in many of the episodes. Where was Sil and Paulie? And just a few seconds from Christopher? I guess they each get the spotlight in different episodes, but it's nice to see them all together. We rarely see them at the pork store on the street anymore.

Chet
post #18 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It was good, but I think the long breaks put many people into a mode where they have unrealistic expectations--ie, they've been gone for a year so they expect each episode to have 3-5 major murders, robberies, etc, like some sort of hyper-Sopranos episode on steroids. Forget the end folks, just enjoy the ride.
post #19 of 1675 Old 04-08-2007, 09:59 PM

Excellent episode.

Maybe just me, but it brought back memories of GF II; Overtones of finality w/long stares at the lake(Tahoe) ; Not to mention a glimpses of the boat [Micheal comtemplating "wacking" his "weak" brother , not to mention issues w/ sister] & developing a storyline involving his niece (making his sister a widow). The Moltisanti cameo was classic Sopranos.
post #20 of 1675 Old 04-09-2007, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

accurate analysis. Tony goes on vacation whoop de fkn doo. Tony has a problem with his sister and it leads to a drunken fight, Gesus enough already how many times do we have to see that story line? We get it ok? Get on with it.
post #21 of 1675 Old 04-09-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

You're right, but so far at least, the positive thing was it was only during the credits, not the actual show itself. So far.
post #22 of 1675 Old 04-09-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I liked the episode but kind of had the feeling while watching it that it was not what everyone had waited all this time for.

I have to wonder on some level if any new ground was covered by this episode at all. Hasn't this theme of decline all been done before, like when Tony picks the fight with the muscle-head guy to prove he is still tough? Was the point that, in spite of what Carmella might say, Tony is a vindictive guy as evidenced by his sending Bobby on his first hit? I think we all knew that already.

There is a lot of symbolism present. The ducks are back, for instance. What does everyone make of the fact that, usually when Tony is watching a black and white movie, it is for escapist purposes. Last night he was watching his childhood home movies, which can hardly be considered escapist.

The lost gun thing being picked up by the feds probably means that the feds are pouring over every thing that he has ever done. It is hard to imagine that it will end well.

Affable Nitwit
post #23 of 1675 Old 04-09-2007, 06:49 AM

Seems like Bobby B. was a natural candidate to do the hit. The target was in Canada. Bacala's house was very close to Canada. If Bacala wants to be promoted within the family he should pay his dues like everyone else.
post #24 of 1675 Old 04-09-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Not to mention a glimpses of the boat [Micheal comtemplating "wacking" his "weak" brother , not to mention issues w/ sister]

Interesting observation. I had taken it that he stared at the boat and sighed because of the time he and Bobby had the day before and how he proposed Bobby to "take the family into the future" that he once had promised Christopher (and now how he's back at square 1 with that situation...hence the hangup when Christopher called to wish a belated happy b-day).

Quote:

when Tony picks the fight with the muscle-head guy to prove he is still tough

Yea, here Tony beats up that young, musclebound guy, but gets his ass whupped by fat Bobby. To be fair, Tony would have beat him if it wasn't for the rug (actually I'm suprised he didn't mention Carmella jumping on his back as what caused him to lose..he was choking Bobby when that happened)

Quote:

Gesus enough already how many times do we have to see that story line? We get it ok? Get on with it.

Couldn't the same have been said since season 1? (Tony has problems with his mother. We get it ok? Get on with it?). This IS it, so they are getting on with it (this type of stuff is what the show has always been centered around).

Quote:

It was good, but I think the long breaks put many people into a mode where they have unrealistic expectations

I think that's true..but heck, last time we had the layoff...Tony got shot. I think everybody was just waiting for something that big to happen again (although I personally think a soldier/brother-in-law taking a swing at the boss is just as interesting as far as what it does for future story lines)
post #25 of 1675 Old 04-09-2007, 07:00 AM

I also wonder if it was supposed to make it tougher for bobby because his whole "daddy's girl", yet he was wacking a guy who was just fighting for custody of his daughter. I thought that was part of the hug at the end as well.
post #26 of 1675 Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 AM

What a piece of crap after such a long layoff. An episode with only 4 character (3 of which I hate) to start a season. What a bore fest. At least Entourage was great to make up for the POS.
post #27 of 1675 Old 04-09-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Really interesting and thought provoking episode. Ending shall we say was classic Chase as noted. AJ is such a punk.

The tension when Tony and Bobby were taking that ride to "golf" was pretty intense. I was not sure if Bobby was going the route of Adriana and I thought maybe, Tony would pull that automatic rifle out of his golf bag and do the shoot. Perhaps to predictable for Chase.

The latest issue of Vanity Fair has a nice article written about Chase and the Sopranos. A very good read.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...sopranos200704

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #28 of 1675 Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers088 View Post

What a piece of crap after such a long layoff. An episode with only 4 character (3 of which I hate) to start a season. What a bore fest. At least Entourage was great to make up for the POS.

Do yourself a favor and stop watching! Just like I assume you did with the miserable Flyer's?
post #29 of 1675 Old 04-09-2007, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Still the best show going in my opinion.

I also agree about the ride and the tension going on when they took that ride to meet the Canadians.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #30 of 1675 Old 04-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

I'll say this...it is an improvement over the gay Vito storyline....
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page