Satriani Live on HDNet - pure, beautiful HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watching via Wide Open West cable, Cleveland on a 50" 1080p plasma. No compromises, beautiful HD. No macroblocking whatsoever. Mark Cuban for President !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Yes...perfect 1080i..crisp, clear....great PQ.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #3 of 17 Old 04-09-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Jealousy...

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #4 of 17 Old 04-09-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
RCN Boston. Top notch! I haven't listened to Satriani in over a decade. For some reason, he just vanished from my radar. No longer!

The PQ of HDNET is unsurpassed (for me anyway) and I love the diverse programming.

post #5 of 17 Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
A great performance made even greater by having such a beautiful picture and sound! Thanks HDnet.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #6 of 17 Old 04-09-2007, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

This was my first Satriani concert, and I really enjoyed it.

However, I thought the PQ was only good, not "eye popping." The DD 5.1 was also just "good" ... I heard nothing from the surround speakers and only mild bass effects from the subwoofer.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily View Post

This was my first Satriani concert, and I really enjoyed it.

However, I thought the PQ was only good, not "eye popping." The DD 5.1 was also just "good" ... I heard nothing from the surround speakers and only mild bass effects from the subwoofer.

Are you serious. What was the source?

I watched it on DirecTV and it was jaw dropping.

DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR20-100S
(1)HR10-250
(3)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11
post #8 of 17 Old 04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz68 View Post

Are you serious. What was the source?

I watched it on DirecTV and it was jaw dropping.

Blitz68:

I see that you have only 13 posts. Are you new to HD?

I've seen most of the concert Blu-Ray disks and HD-DVDs, as well as dozens of concerts on HD-Net and almost all of the Soundstage concerts. IMO, the Satriani concert was better than average, but I've seen several other concerts that topped it.

For me, there was nothing eye-popping about a guy in a black T-shirt with a closely shaved head. BTW, my source was FIOS TV.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-11-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily View Post

I've seen most of the concert Blu-Ray disks and HD-DVDs, as well as dozens of concerts on HD-Net and almost all of the Soundstage concerts. IMO, the Satriani concert was better than average, but I've seen several other concerts that topped it.

I missed it, but it's on again this Sunday 4/15 at 12:30PM (noonish) eastern time, for 90 minutes. Not listed specifically in my TWC Guide (it only shows "HDNet Programming" all day) but it's listed on HDNet's website.

Haven't yet seen ANY BRD/HD-DVD except in store demos, and that doesn't count.

I wonder if it will top my three favorite visually stunning 1080i HD concerts previously shown on TV (all of them classical performances) and which, thankfully (and, in some cases, with the much appreciated help of others), I have all now preserved on D-VHS:

(1) Mahler's 8th, on DiscHD, from 2002 BBC Proms at Royal Albert Hall. Remarkable orchestral performance, with Leonard Slatkin interviewed and conducting (and sweating profusely).

From my April 2005 post:

"... thousands of people sitting stationary in chairs, with flesh tones, white shirts, ties, tuxedos, glasses, different colored hair and skin, horns, violins, woodwinds, reed instruments, flutes, HD closeups, sea-green blouses, red choir gowns, etc., providing a seemingly infinite amount of picture detail which can really be used as an HD reference test pattern... not to mention making a great demo for your HD D-VHS collection.

"The HD quality is superb, but the enormous amount of picture detail and natural human features is what makes this such a good looking production.

"Get it, if you can. A 170-piece youth orchestra, 700 singers in three choruses, a pipe organ, maybe 2000 in the audience... all in all a terrific performance, and terrific HD. Only DD2.0 I think, but it was still fantastic."

(2) Anna Netrebko, in 2004 BBC Proms series, on DiscHD. DD5.1. Fabulous lighting and closeups, perfect makeup, perfect flesh tone, she's wonderfully elegant and great to look at. Wonderful music as well.

(3) Last Christmas' Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert from the SLC Convention Center on PBS-HD. Absolutely stunningly perfect and gorgeous color on the scenery and stage landscaping, robes on the hundreds of singers, costumes on the dancers, etc.! Beautiful Xmas mood. DD5.1 and thrilling musically.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-12-2007, 04:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I missed it, but it's on again this Sunday 4/15 at 12:30PM (noonish) eastern time, for 90 minutes. Not listed specifically in my TWC Guide (it only shows "HDNet Programming" all day) but it's listed on HDNet's website.

Haven't yet seen ANY BRD/HD-DVD except in store demos, and that doesn't count.

I wonder if it will top my three favorite visually stunning 1080i HD concerts previously shown on TV (all of them classical performances) and which, thankfully (and, in some cases, with the much appreciated help of others), I have all now preserved on D-VHS:

(1) Mahler's 8th, on DiscHD, from 2002 BBC Proms at Royal Albert Hall. Remarkable orchestral performance, with Leonard Slatkin interviewed and conducting (and sweating profusely).

From my April 2005 post:

"... thousands of people sitting stationary in chairs, with flesh tones, white shirts, ties, tuxedos, glasses, different colored hair and skin, horns, violins, woodwinds, reed instruments, flutes, HD closeups, sea-green blouses, red choir gowns, etc., providing a seemingly infinite amount of picture detail which can really be used as an HD reference test pattern... not to mention making a great demo for your HD D-VHS collection.

"The HD quality is superb, but the enormous amount of picture detail and natural human features is what makes this such a good looking production.

"Get it, if you can. A 170-piece youth orchestra, 700 singers in three choruses, a pipe organ, maybe 2000 in the audience... all in all a terrific performance, and terrific HD. Only DD2.0 I think, but it was still fantastic."

(2) Anna Netrebko, in 2004 BBC Proms series, on DiscHD. DD5.1. Fabulous lighting and closeups, perfect makeup, perfect flesh tone, she's wonderfully elegant and great to look at. Wonderful music as well.

(3) Last Christmas' Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert from the SLC Convention Center on PBS-HD. Absolutely stunningly perfect and gorgeous color on the scenery and stage landscaping, robes on the hundreds of singers, costumes on the dancers, etc.! Beautiful Xmas mood. DD5.1 and thrilling musically.

D:

As you know, I've seen the three concerts you described, and agree they set a high standard for "eye popping."

The Satriani concert has good camera work, but does not have a set that's customized for high definition. Compare the Satriani concert with the Soundstage series, which always has special set colors and lighting that complements the HD experience.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-14-2008, 11:11 AM

Is the any info on this show ? Like Venue, Date, Set List? Any help would be great!!! Thank You in advance
post #12 of 17 Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigebear View Post

Is the any info on this show ? Like Venue, Date, Set List? Any help would be great!!! Thank You in advance

May 3, 2006
Anaheim, CA
The Grove

Setlist:
Flying In A Blue Dream
The Extremist
Redshift Riders
Cool #9
A Cool New Way
Satch Boogie
Super Colossal
Just Like Lightnin'
Ice 9
One Robot's Dream
Ten Words
The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
The Meaning of Love
Made of Tears
Circles
Always With Me, Always With You
Surfing With The Alien
Crowd Chant
Summer Song

On October 31, 2006 it was released on CD and DVD.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-10-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Oh man, too bad I don't have Cable or Satellite, concerts like these makes it worth it, but how rare are those concerts.. Better buy the HD-DVD/blu ray...

I hope they rebroadcast them elsewhere in FTA..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #14 of 17 Old 03-11-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Flying in a Blue Dream was totally ripping - what a great way to open a show. It's always been one of my favourite Satch tunes.

I thought, despite looking rather ordinary, that the PQ was very good for HD broadcast. But it wasn't Satch's outfit that blew me away, it was his amazing skill on the guitar. Watching the guy who taught Kirk Hammett and Steve Vai just wail away, exhilarating for sure.

Satriani has always had better ear for melody than most of the other "shredders" out there and it was great to watch him play some of my favourite tunes, like Ice 9, Always With Me/You, Circles, Summer Song, Potato Head Groove Thing and Surfing With The Alien - this one is locked into my PVR.

I wish he had played "You Saved My Life" though from Strange Beautiful Music. It is simply amazing on SACD multi-channel.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

I have the last 26 minutes of this recorded (I Havent seen it again in the guide so I can record the entire show) and it looks and sounds GREAT! Not much in the sorrounds but overall it rocks!
post #16 of 17 Old 03-13-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Flying in a Blue Dream was totally ripping - what a great way to open a show. It's always been one of my favourite Satch tunes.

I thought, despite looking rather ordinary, that the PQ was very good for HD broadcast. But it wasn't Satch's outfit that blew me away, it was his amazing skill on the guitar. Watching the guy who taught Kirk Hammett and Steve Vai just wail away, exhilarating for sure.

Satriani has always had better ear for melody than most of the other "shredders" out there and it was great to watch him play some of my favourite tunes, like Ice 9, Always With Me/You, Circles, Summer Song, Potato Head Groove Thing and Surfing With The Alien - this one is locked into my PVR.

I wish he had played "You Saved My Life" though from Strange Beautiful Music. It is simply amazing on SACD multi-channel.

Well said. I really didn't spend a lot of time analyzing his wardrobe.

Didn't Eric Johnson open for him at this show? Who's idea was it NOT to include his performance?
post #17 of 17 Old 03-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post

Well said. I really didn't spend a lot of time analyzing his wardrobe.

Didn't Eric Johnson open for him at this show? Who's idea was it NOT to include his performance?

His performance is a separate show on HDNet. I was able to record the entire show of his, but its nowhere near as good as the Satch performance!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page