'LOST' on ABC HD - Page 696 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #20851 of 21026 Old 07-30-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
CW went out like a chump and didn't even get to use his awesome sonic fence! What the fr@k!?

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20852 of 21026 Old 08-01-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

CW went out like a chump and didn't even get to use his awesome sonic fence! What the fr@k!?

The "Boba Fett" of LOST, would you say?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #20853 of 21026 Old 09-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Just read an interview about how the show came to be--title is misleading a bit.

http://news.yahoo.com/lost-writer-gi...185759431.html

Edit: wasn't an interview, it was a keynote address for something.

thread closed
post #20854 of 21026 Old 09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Quote:

He also said the show might not have lasted more than three seasons without the Internet, because it allowed fans and the show's creators to spur each other on. He noted that 23 million people tuned in for the first episode, and only 13 million for the finale -- a sign that the show lost many people as it went on. But those that stayed with it did so in part because the Internet gave them somewhere to vent, he said.

Three cheers for AVSforum and all the other LOST forums!

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #20855 of 21026 Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the link!
post #20856 of 21026 Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Comic-Con 2011 Notes
'Lost' producers reunite at Comic-Con, present new footage
By Alan Sepinwall, HitFix.com - July 22nd, 2011

LOL, that's awesome. I love it when they make fun of the indignant whiners who will never get it, or understand that they themselves are responsible for building up their expectations to ridiculous extreme due to their fanatical, unending obsession with figuring all the details out. Even when they were told over and over again throughout that the show was primarily about the characters and their personal journeys... L&C's biggest sin was creating a wrapper so compelling around their core story that many people went bananas over it and "lost" all perspective

ron
post #20857 of 21026 Old 09-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
About 4 months ago, I watched every episode of every season back-to-back on Netflix. I enjoyed the luxury of not having to wait through an entire summer after a given season's finale.

I enjoyed the series immensely. I had no issue with the series finale either, and found it very moving.
post #20858 of 21026 Old 09-27-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone watch the premier of "Terra Nova" on FOX? We were greatly anticipating this as a family tv show and possibly fill some of the whole left from LOST. I'm wondering what the buzz is from you guys?

We enjoyed it on some levels. I think my six year old boys are going to be entranced. But I was left feeling that it was just following the formula. Story lines didn't seem overly rich. Acting was below average by todays television standards. But they sure did throw some money at it!

LOST didn't let too much mystery out in the first episode either (just the thing in the jungle). So maybe there's still hope for Terra Nova? I was disappointed that they let so much info into the trailer for "what's coming this year". I feel like I can see where its going already. LOST didn't do that! For sure.

By the way, still haven't rewatched. I've got the Bluray set, but the emotion hasn't hit me yet to jump in. Like MikeKlem did, I want to run it all the way through fairly quickly when I do commit to watching.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #20859 of 21026 Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I see Terra Nova following the same timeline as pretty much every serialized primetime network show nowadays.

1. Solid start, decent ratings
2. Things start to lull in the middle as the show focuses on lame, poorly done character drama and diverts from the main plotline. Ratings take a dive.
3. Show goes on hiatus for a few months
4. Show comes back with a bang, focusing on the main story and fans that stayed loyal love it
5. Unfortunately, they lost too many viewers during the poor character drama parts and hiatus and the show gets canceled without any resolution while the internet is filled with rage about how the show has finally hit its stride.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

post #20860 of 21026 Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 176
From all I've read (albeit, not much), the evidence so far is that Terra Nova is mapped out to be a fairly mindless entertainment show with cool effects by television standards. The human interest stuff is pretty weak, with cliched family situations, tired dialog, etc. Hardly the aspirations of Lost (beyond a desire to match the Lost phenomenon for intense interest level).

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #20861 of 21026 Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 605
I've seen 'Terra Nova' and I've seen LOST. Terra Nova, you're no LOST.
post #20862 of 21026 Old 09-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I can't believe this thread is still active! I had mixed feelings about the Lost finale at the time. Like many, I demanded answers and felt cheated after investing so much into the show. But looking back shortly afterwards, I realized the answers didn't really matter - the experience of Lost and the memories are what made it so great.

Little moments like Jack and Locke meeting at LAX, Desmond and Penny in The Constant, the Walkabout reveal, Charlie's greatest moments, 'we have to go back!' and many many others - these wouldn't have nearly the impact if we didn't like the characters so much.

Watching garbage like Tera Nova, Falling Skies just reinforces how great Lost was.
post #20863 of 21026 Old 09-27-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

From all I've read (albeit, not much), the evidence so far is that Terra Nova is mapped out to be a fairly mindless entertainment show with cool effects by television standards.

Hmm. Sounds like "Human Target". Also cancelled.

post #20864 of 21026 Old 03-10-2012, 12:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 169
TV Notes
'Lost' Showrunner Carlton Cuse Joining A&E's 'Bates Motel'
By Borys Kit, The Holywood Reporter's 'Heat Vision' Blog - Mar. 9, 2012

EXCLUSIVE: Carlton Cuse, who along with Damon Lindelof executive produced and acted as showrunners of ABC's Lost, is boarding A&E's The Bates Motel.

A&E is developing the series, being produced by Mark Wolper and Roy Lee, as a prequel to Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. The 1960 horror classic featured an off-his-rocker motel manager named Norman Bates who murdered occasional boarders while under the watch of his even-more-psychotic mother.

Bates Motel aims to tell the story of a young Bates and how his life with his deranged mother and her lover unhinged his mind, eventually turning him into a serial killer. It has been described as a cross between Twin Peaks and Smallville.

If the show is picked up to series, Cuse will executive produce and oversee the writing and production what is being envisioned intially as a six-episode event" that would lead to additional seasons. It also marks the first genre TV project for Cuse since his acclaimed run on Lost.

Kerry Ehrin, who worked on Friday NIght Lights and Parenthood, also is joining Bates Motel as a writer/EP and will work with Cuse.

A&E is hoping the series can do for it what zombie drama The Walking Dead did for AMC, generating top ratings while initiating online water-cooler conversations.

Post-Lost, Cuse, with his Carlton Cuse Productions banner, is working in both TV and features. He recently turned in a draft of an untitled action-adventure for Hugh Jackman and Shawn Levy's 21 Laps for Fox.

Cuse is repped by WME and Del Shaw Moonves Tanaka Finkelstein & Lezcano.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...use-a-e-298201
post #20865 of 21026 Old 05-12-2012, 12:13 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everyone wants to know what the relationship is between this movie and Alien. And one could argue that we've set ourselves up for an inevitable disappointment. But look who you're talking to right now. If there is anybody who is known for inevitable disappointment, it's me. I'm Mr. Inevitable Disappointment!

Damon Lindelof

Gotta love a guy who has good perspective. A little related to LOST,, but this interview with DL about his work on Prometheus and the movie itself is a good read.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/1...fe-after-lost/

ron
post #20866 of 21026 Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everyone wants to know what the relationship is between this movie and Alien. And one could argue that we've set ourselves up for an inevitable disappointment. But look who you're talking to right now. If there is anybody who is known for inevitable disappointment, it's me. I'm Mr. Inevitable Disappointment!

Damon Lindelof

Gotta love a guy who has perspective. A little related to LOST, this interview with DL also has lots of good info about his work on Prometheus and the movie itself.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/1...fe-after-lost/

ron
post #20867 of 21026 Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I didn't know he had anything to do with writing Prometheus.

I also didn't know he had anything to do with writing Cowboys & Aliens.

Considering that train wreck (and Lost's unevenness/train wreck-finale) I suddenly have lowered expectations for Prometheus.
post #20868 of 21026 Old 05-12-2012, 02:01 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

I didn't know he had anything to do with writing Prometheus.

I also didn't know he had anything to do with writing Cowboys & Aliens.

Considering that train wreck (and Lost's unevenness/train wreck-finale) I suddenly have lowered expectations for Prometheus.

Ahhh, the haters never truly die do they. May I suggest you stay home and save your time and money then .

ron
post #20869 of 21026 Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Hey, the LOST thread! It's kind of like an old friend dropping by.

The thing I find so strange about Lindelof is that he seems untroubled, even amused, by all the fuss. Cuse, too. They spent 5 years building this elaborate world and it's not like they couldn't have polished it off in a way that respected what had come before. What long-time LOST nerd hasn't imagined how it might have gone down if DHARMA and the Island's history had been the prime focus in S-6 instead of glowy caves and magic wine? (Well, maybe it was just me )

Instead, it's like after all that, with all the expectations that they themselves had built up, they were watching the clock, it was almost quittin' time, and they just threw something together with enough MacGuffins to get 'em out the door before anyone caught on. It does make me question the value of any of their future work or whether it would be worth the investment, particularly Lindelof since he was the "idea guy".

But it's not just us fans who can't get over it, Ron. Look at what's happened to this poor guy.
post #20870 of 21026 Old 05-12-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Ahhh, the haters never truly die do they. May I suggest you stay home and save your time and money then .

As long as Ridley Scott's directing there's always hope.

And I like how I'm a hater because I didn't like a poorly written show. Yeah...that's reasonable. lol
post #20871 of 21026 Old 05-12-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

I gotta admit, it does give me pause. Cowboys vs Aliens was terrible.

post #20872 of 21026 Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 PM

Liked: 12
He was not a lead writer for Cowboys & Aliens, that was a Orci & Kurtzman special. He simply did some revisions later in production.

And Lost is easily one of the better written shows to ever grace the small screen, on either network OR cable, and that is thanks largely to Lindelof. Also, the fact that his script is one of the reasons Ridley signed on to do Prometheus is another huge testament to his abilities.

archi, the last seasons fit in much better when you're not agonizing over all the secrets and mysteries week-to-week. I would agree the show would've certainly benefited from an additional season, but re-watching it without all the breaks and commercials and forum speculation -- just letting yourself experience the story as it is being told to you -- really diminishes many of the "issues" I've heard and read from many "haters".

If you guys haven't watched this yet, you really should:

post #20873 of 21026 Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

He was not a lead writer for Cowboys & Aliens, that was a Orci & Kurtzman special. He simply did some revisions later in production.

And Lost is easily one of the better written shows to ever grace the small screen, on either network OR cable, and that is thanks largely to Lindelof. Also, the fact that his script is one of the reasons Ridley signed on to do Prometheus is another huge testament to his abilities.

archi, the last seasons fit in much better when you're not agonizing over all the secrets and mysteries week-to-week. I would agree the show would've certainly benefited from an additional season, but re-watching it without all the breaks and commercials and forum speculation -- just letting yourself experience the story as it is being told to you -- really diminishes many of the "issues" I've heard and read from many "haters".

Just about every show benefits from binge watching seasons. It allows lulls or weaker episodes to be forgiven easier. It also allows you to not forget earlier details so easily.

My wife and I watched the first 5 seasons of Lost that way and then had to endure the last season as everyone else. I still enjoyed the last season, but the week between episodes made everything feel disjointed. I love the show. Perhaps I would have been happier if some things were addressed differently or addressed at all. But the ending was good enough. It had enough closure and to me it didn't feel like I wasted my time. It left me feeling the characters had purpose.

Of course I wasn't happy with the fact there was no more story to tell as I grew to love the characters. I was still happy enough to go buy the blu-rays and take Lost tour when I was in Oahu for a day a year ago.
post #20874 of 21026 Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM

Liked: 13
Thanks for the link...Excellent interview.

I still maintain that the finale' delivered, and this summer I get to begin the journey all over again since my kids are asking to watch it and they are now old enough.
post #20875 of 21026 Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

Just about every show benefits from binge watching seasons. It allows lulls or weaker episodes to be forgiven easier. It also allows you to not forget earlier details so easily.

My wife and I watched the first 5 seasons of Lost that way and then had to endure the last season as everyone else. I still enjoyed the last season, but the week between episodes made everything feel disjointed. I love the show. Perhaps I would have been happier if some things were addressed differently or addressed at all. But the ending was good enough. It had enough closure and to me it didn't feel like I wasted my time. It left me feeling the characters had purpose.

Of course I wasn't happy with the fact there was no more story to tell as I grew to love the characters. I was still happy enough to go buy the blu-rays and take Lost tour when I was in Oahu for a day a year ago.

Binge watching improved the otherwise "meandering" 3rd season - turned out they were not in that polar bear cage as long as it seemed.

I too enjoyed the final season - did not feel it was an endurance test. Could have gone in other, less metaphysical directions of course. But in the end, the main characters did feel like they had completed certain journeys - and those touched by the island met up in the afterlife. Weird...but sweet. ANd overall, pretty solid writing throughout (in terms of quality, not so much in where I or others may have WANTED it to go).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #20876 of 21026 Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM

Liked: 23
Dang it, I saw this thread pop up and I thought season 7 was about to start....

...Son of a B*$(%
post #20877 of 21026 Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Binge watching improved the otherwise "meandering" 3rd season - turned out they were not in that polar bear cage as long as it seemed.

I too enjoyed the final season - did not feel it was an endurance test. Could have gone in other, less metaphysical directions of course. But in the end, the main characters did feel like they had completed certain journeys - and those touched by the island met up in the afterlife. Weird...but sweet. ANd overall, pretty solid writing throughout (in terms of quality, not so much in where I or others may have WANTED it to go).

Yeah. The third season didn't bother me that much, but it felt like there was a slight writing quality drop off. I believe that was the season of the writers strike as well, correct?

Everyone has ending preferences on shows because they are invested. I didn't mind the metaphysical direction though. Perhaps they could have done a better job with that direction, but I didn't feel like it betrayed anything that came before. My only hope was that it wasn't as bad as the Sopranos, and it wasn't.
post #20878 of 21026 Old 05-14-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Binge-watching Lost has the added effect of making it play out in much closer to real time than what it took for those of us who watched it from the beginning.
post #20879 of 21026 Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Wish i felt the way you guys do. Hated the last season and really did not like the finale, so much so that I never want to rewatch a single episode. Can't believe this thread is still alive, lol.
post #20880 of 21026 Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi all,

I loved the show, and always thought to myself as I was watching it, "I wonder how much I would pay for the producers video explaining how the show came to be, what the original story arc was, how it developed, what changed, etc. I wanted to know whether it was 50% thought through from the beginning, or totally thought out, changed, etc.

I have not followed any discussions about the show since it ended. What is the closest interview, or whatever to what I was looking for? Did they add much of this to the final DVD collection of the show? Anything you could point me to would be appreciated.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page