post #21001 of 21026 Old 10-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Not to be mean, but the people here need to get over themselves. Lost ended three years ago. To continue to be emotionally outraged over a FICTIONAL TV shows last season or ending seems a bit excessive, and that is putting it kindly. tongue.gif

From the mouth of Ferris Bueller, “You’re still here? It’s over. Go home. Go.”

wink.gif
If Lindelof himself hadn't brought it up I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Pretty much reiterating what Tighr posted. I'm not emotionally outraged over the way it ended. They ended it the way they wanted. I didn't care for it and I moved on, apparently Lindelof hasn't.
philw1776 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21002 of 21026 Old 10-07-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I didn't revive the thread, but I'll say it again: who cares what DL thinks?
acebreathe likes this.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #21003 of 21026 Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I also blame him for Prometheus (ugh, so disappointed), Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, and Cowboys and Aliens (unbelievably bad). He gets a pass on the first Star Trek (which was awesome), but he also doesn't have a writing credit on that film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Ah, so now I know why Prometheus, et. el. was such a train wreck. Guy is way too full of himself.

Sort of a tangentially related video for this thread's topic, since it's about Lindelof, but talking about many things including Lost and Prometheus. If you could bother spending an hour listening to him, here is the link to his free ranging interview with The Verge:
post #21004 of 21026 Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I think really that's what it came down to for me.

We had all this weird stuff happen that they somehow gave very ordinary and plausible explanations to everything (time travel aside, though one could say it's always possible it could happen and we just don't know how yet). They hid all these puzzles and Easter eggs for us to find and discuss, like the numbers - then dismissed them as unimportant. Then at the end, they tried to eek those numbers back in with them representing the characters, but that made less sense than simply calling it a cool coincidence.

It all seemed to be building up to this big showdown between the Losties and some super secret evil corporation that was trying to harness the unique properties of the island for some sort of evil plan. We had not one, but two major evil characters angling to get what they wanted with the Jack and the gang in the middle. It had this truly sinister backstory woven in, with experimentation on multiple levels (including behavorial studies on the people who thought they were doing a study, yet their reports went to a big pile outside the bunker) and even mass murder.

Even the Jacob character made sense in the scope of the time travel aspect as a character caught just outside of time, like some temporal ghost.

Then, all the bad guys got their nuts cut off and Jacob ended up being this actively passive character that I'm surprised wasn't shown being nailed to a cross - yet suddenly he was the man. The smoke monster went from something awesome (potentially a nanobot security system) to a character apparently designed to remind Jacob of Mom's wine-making hobby.

With all that, it seems like the ending cheated by going after the tissue box instead of the slide rule.

They may as well have had Jack rescue some orphans from a burning school, then get hugs all around.

That's the best thing I've ever read about Lost. The only thing I could add is that early on the show was more of a character study, with the island mystery more of a framework to introduce them and explain their common bond. Some of the most interesting and well developed characters ever in those early seasons. As time went on those finely etched characters became little more than cardboard cutouts whose sole purpose seemed to be to drive the increasingly silly plot.The story became more important than the people involved in it, never a good sign in a tv series. Add in the fact that the writers seemed to be making it up as they went along and it ended up being a total hodgepodge of half developed storylines that were never resolved. What started as the best thing ever on tv became a total mess.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #21005 of 21026 Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I think really that's what it came down to for me.

We had all this weird stuff happen that they somehow gave very ordinary and plausible explanations to everything (time travel aside, though one could say it's always possible it could happen and we just don't know how yet). They hid all these puzzles and Easter eggs for us to find and discuss, like the numbers - then dismissed them as unimportant. Then at the end, they tried to eek those numbers back in with them representing the characters, but that made less sense than simply calling it a cool coincidence.

It all seemed to be building up to this big showdown between the Losties and some super secret evil corporation that was trying to harness the unique properties of the island for some sort of evil plan. We had not one, but two major evil characters angling to get what they wanted with the Jack and the gang in the middle. It had this truly sinister backstory woven in, with experimentation on multiple levels (including behavorial studies on the people who thought they were doing a study, yet their reports went to a big pile outside the bunker) and even mass murder.

Even the Jacob character made sense in the scope of the time travel aspect as a character caught just outside of time, like some temporal ghost.

Then, all the bad guys got their nuts cut off and Jacob ended up being this actively passive character that I'm surprised wasn't shown being nailed to a cross - yet suddenly he was the man. The smoke monster went from something awesome (potentially a nanobot security system) to a character apparently designed to remind Jacob of Mom's wine-making hobby.

With all that, it seems like the ending cheated by going after the tissue box instead of the slide rule.

They may as well have had Jack rescue some orphans from a burning school, then get hugs all around.

So true. The Jacob & his smokey Bro Deus ex Machina story in season 6 gelded my desire for a planned re-watch of the excellent series. Made those seasons plot lines pointless leaving only the soap opera aspect of the 1st 5 seasons. I didn't mind the recap/reunion aspect of Limbo LA that much as it didn't diminish what had happened. The sudden emphasis of the two idiot brothers' story was discordant.
acebreathe likes this.
post #21006 of 21026 Old 10-11-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm sure this was posted before, but I think it's a good time for a revival. That and I still get a kick out of it. biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21007 of 21026 Old 10-11-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Yeah, for those who didn't get it. News flash: there's nothing to get.
philw1776 likes this.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #21008 of 21026 Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Yep, there certainly was nothing to get after S5.
post #21009 of 21026 Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Yep, there certainly was nothing to get after S5.

You mean beside "pissed-off" or "hugely disappointed"...? tongue.gifmad.gif
post #21010 of 21026 Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I don't know if any of you watched the live stream on PaleyfestLA tonight but this show has brought back all the frustration I had with the show.

Someone asked Damon who is on the outrigger in the flash forward and was there a more in-depth storyline that got cut and he did not give a shred of info about it other than there was a very specific idea in mind and that they knew exactly who was on the boat. What would be the reason to hold back everything at this point? I don't expect them to let it all out but come on...

And yes I understand the show wasn't supposed to be about the mythology....

And yes I know it's time to move on...
post #21011 of 21026 Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Whenever I hear about the missing Malaysian flight, I keep thinking Lost.
jaypb and cgmv123 like this.
post #21012 of 21026 Old 03-16-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

What would be the reason to hold back everything at this point?

Really? Seriously??

Earth to Charlie Brown: Lucy will never let you kick the football, ok? Got that? Just give it up!

Sheesh.... rolleyes.gif

Quote:

And yet… you don’t…

(Honestly, this thread is like a cat with a double allocation of lives… rolleyes.gif)
post #21013 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No, he's right. For Lindelof to appear at this event and still play hard to get is ridiculous. What harm can it do at this point to give up some of the stuff that the people who attended this event live or in stream wanted to see? He needs to start thinking about rehabilitating his image.
philw1776 likes this.
post #21014 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:

Someone asked Damon who is on the outrigger in the flash forward and was there a more in-depth storyline that got cut and he did not give a shred of info about it other than there was a very specific idea in mind and that they knew exactly who was on the boat. What would be the reason to hold back everything at this point? I don't expect them to let it all out but come on...

I agree. It's boneheadedly easy to come up with a hand-wave answer to this one. For example: Perhaps it was just an outrigger with some of the island's past inhabitants, folks who are no longer with us and who's story we were just never told because the island has been around a LONG LONG time. See, there ya go Lindelof. Just say that.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #21015 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

He needs to start thinking about rehabilitating his image.

Exactly. Ever since he started copping an attitude and being downright dismissive about Lost, I have made it a point to avoid anything he's involved with in the future. The only exception has been World War Z, which I didn't realize he anything to do with it - and, besides, that was only a Netflix rental. i hope he doesn't spend his $.03 residual in one place.

For me, it's no longer about the ending. It's about Lindelof acting like a spoiled brat about it and being a d**k to people who just want answers to some of the questions they have about things they saw in the show.

Time and again, it's been shown that certain show producers can't handle the delicate task of engaging the audience or media via social networks and events. He's one of those people and someone needs to hold an intervention...
philw1776 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21016 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
It is definitely time to forget this show. BUT...I dimly remember an EW piece, back when Lost was still great and all the rage. Both Lindelof and Cuse were emphatic that there was an end plan, saying the two bodies found in the cave in the pilot were the clue to everything. That implies that the mystery was solvable and they were encouraging the speculation to keep viewers hooked. They were the ones that made the mystery front and center by insisting it was all planned from the beginning. But instead of the ending tying everything together, they just kept adding new things and ignored what had come before. To me at least it was clear they were making it up as they went along, despite their assurances it was all planned out ahead of time. Frankly, they sold their credibility in order to keep the ratings up, and are the ones to blame for the backlash the ending caused. Lost ended up like a murder mystery with all kinds of possible suspects, only to end with "the butler did it". Except you don't even find out there was a butler until the last episodes.
philw1776 likes this.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #21017 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Lost ended up like a murder mystery with all kinds of possible suspects, only to end with "the butler did it". Except you don't even find out there was a butler until the last episodes.
It's worse than that....it's like if it turned out that Harvey the dog was the one who actually committed the murders and David Berkowitz was perfectly sane and just a patsy...

post #21018 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's interesting that this thread just happens to come back to life during the intensive search for that missing Malaysian airliner. Coincidence? Hmmmm.....

All I know is if they find the plane on the bottom of the ocean they'd better check it out thoroughly! eek.gif You know that old expression: fool me once....
acebreathe likes this.
post #21019 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 12:38 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44

It's awesome that Lindeloff continues to make fun of the perennially butt hurt crybabies who still just can't admit that they couldn't take the hints, even when they were spelled right out for them :D

ron

post #21020 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Your life is sad and pathetic if you know who Lindeloff is without having to look it up online!

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #21021 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Your life is sad and pathetic if you know who Lindeloff is without having to look it up online!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #21022 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

No, he's right. For Lindelof to appear at this event and still play hard to get is ridiculous.

Well, of course, it’s ridiculous. But Lindelof has been ridiculous for years. His shtick is utterly predictable at this point and why anybody is still surprised by it I’ll never understand.

But then, the world is full of otherwise intelligent people who now profess to be shocked, shocked, shocked by Vladimir Putin’s equally predictable behavior, so let me take this question seriously:

Quote:

What would be the reason to hold back everything at this point?

Possible reasons:

1. Lindelof thinks he might milk yet more money out of this cow at some point with a tell-all book, so he doesn’t want to give everything away.

2. They had a really nice explanation for this, that, or the other thing at one point, but then they changed their minds and put something else on the screen that contradicts that really nice explanation, and they don’t want to admit that.

3. Lindelof is a liar.

4. Lindelof is a jerk.

5. All of the above.
philw1776 likes this.
post #21023 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 325
^^
tell us what you really think wink.gifbiggrin.gif

what annoyed me about season 6 & finale is not so much that some mysteries weren't explained, but that big plot devices that had led up to that point - Desmond and energy field being needed to trap the smoke monster & the temple in the jungle, to name a couple - were just thrown out, like they never happened. the smoke monster (guy in black) was defeated in a fight being thrown off a cliff! a true wtf tongue.gif

I didn't particularly like the way it ended. although it had emotion, closure for the characters and made some sense, considering they exploded an H-bomb on the island & ended up in alt reality - but it left me unsatisfied.

the online explanation of personal journey, people finding themselves and atoning for pasts was a nice touch, but it wasn't tied to the plot lines they had established the entire season. it definitely had a "we don't know how to end this" feel to it and so they just made it up as a way to have the characters move on (literally).

Steve
post #21024 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:

I don't know if any of you watched the live stream on PaleyfestLA tonight but this show has brought back all the frustration I had with the show.

And yes I understand the show wasn't supposed to be about the mythology....

Here's a brief article on the Paleyfest.

Getting 'Lost' Answers 10 Years Later: Were They All Dead the Whole Time?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #21025 of 21026 Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

what annoyed me about season 6 & finale is not so much that some mysteries weren't explained, but that big plot devices that had led up to that point - Desmond and energy field being needed to trap the smoke monster & the temple in the jungle, to name a couple - were just thrown out, like they never happened. the smoke monster (guy in black) was defeated in a fight being thrown off a cliff! a true wtf tongue.gif

It's been a while, so forgive me if I have the facts wrong, but wasn't the reason the smoke monster was able to be killed was because they did something on the island that trapped him in Locke's body? Like, he couldn't impersonate people anymore or something, nor could he go all smokey.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #21026 of 21026 Old 03-18-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 226
This comment from someone after the linked article sums it up for me:

no they were not dead, they stayed in Hawaii until Hawaii 5-0 started

Nothing more can be said about this show, really.
acebreathe likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page