AAF
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

NEW YORK -- ESPN and the Big 12 said Thursday that they have struck a new eight-year multiplatform rights deal beginning in 2008.

Outstanding!

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Here's some more Big Brother info:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/bigbrother/

Thanks Fred

Mike
XBOX 360 Gamertag : SCJagfan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #333 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
I can find no info at all on the return of "Rock Star", shuttermaker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #334 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I can find no info at all on the return of "Rock Star", shuttermaker.

I thought I read somewhere that Rockstar was cancelled.
post #335 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thursday's fast national over night prime-time ratings - and Media Week Analyst Marc Berman's view of what they mean -- have been posted at the top of Ratings News the second post in this thread.

post #336 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

In Case You Missed the Earlier Reminder:

Tonight (Friday) at 9 PM ET/PT is the finale of Raines on NBC.

The episode was written by the son of frequent Hot Off The Press contributor jandron.

So tune in!

(And if you have any negative comments, let's be supportive and keep them to yourselves.)

post #337 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphisig View Post

I thought I read somewhere that Rockstar was cancelled.

I believe that is true, but I can't put my finger on any specific source. It certainly does not appear anywhere that I know of in the CBS summer schedule.

post #338 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

TV Sports
Padres go All-HD
By Jay Posner San Diego Union-Tribune April 27, 2007

A change in Channel 4 San Diego's Padres coverage is good news for fans with high-definition TVs: Every Padres telecast after June 17 will be in HD, including 19 post-All Star break games originally scheduled for standard def.

That brings the total number of HD telecasts this season to 128.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...1s27media.html

Hey, you beat me to the punch on this one. I was just about to post the same info!

This means that the 4SD people have reached some sort of agreement to allow the Padres access to the HD feed of other teams. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the deal may be reciprocal - those teams also get access to the 4SD HD feed (when those teams visit Petco Park) to send back to their fans - a win/win scenario for all.
post #339 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I don't know that it means anything other than Channel4SD is presumably going to be all HD for the Padres from June 19 on.

I am still waiting to see an HD version of Channel4SD on DirecTV's MLB-EI feed.

By the way, has anyone seen a Comcast Philadelphia Phillies game (SD or HD) on DirecTV's version of MLB-EI?

post #340 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notebook
Regis Return Rates With Viewers
By John Eggerton Broadcasting & Cable 4/27/2007

Regis Philbin's return to Live with Regis and Kelly was a big shot in the arm for the Buena Vista syndicated talker in households and key demos.

According to Nielsen overnight numbers, for Philbin's first day back after open-heart surgery--he has been out for about six weeks--the household rating was up 52% over its prior four-week average to a 4.4 rating/16 share.

The demos spiked even more. Women 25-54 were up 60% from the prior four-week average to a 2.4/18. In New York, where the show originates, the numbers were off the charts, averaging a 6.8 rating/26 share at 9 a.m., the highest rating in the market for any show in daytime, including Oprah (5.1/14).

Live also grabbed the largest share of the audience of any show at any time on Thursday, including prime. Keeping with the medical theme, Philbin's repaired anatomy topped ABC's Grey's Anatomy, which led prime with a 20 share.

Regis' return was marked by a rare daytime appearance by David Letterman, returning an old favor. Regis was Letterman's first guest after the late-night host has his heart surgery in 2000. The entire surgical team also made an appearance.

The show has been rotating guest co-hosts with Kelly Ripa during Regis' absence, with Bryant Gumbel and Donald Trump the most recent fill-ins.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6437493

post #341 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Overnights in the 18-49 Demo
NBC's Thursday night sinks yet again
Stinker '30 Rock' finale pulls a 2.4 rating
By Toni Fitzgerald MediaLifeMagazine.com staff writer April 27, 2007

NBC's Thursday night lineup fell to its lowest rating in at least two decades among adults 18-49 last night, the second time it's done so in three weeks. It wasn't helped by the season finale of 30 Rock, which was the night's third-lowest-rated show on the Big Four broadcast networks.

NBC finished third on the night with a 3.2 average rating and 8 share, according to Nielsen overnights. That was its lowest Thursday rating with all-original programming since Nielsen began using people meters in 1987. Its second lowest was two weeks ago, when it averaged a 3.3, and it's also off from its 3.8 season-to-date average.

Rock was even to the previous week with a 2.4 at 9 p.m., tying its lowest Thursday outing of the season. The show has already been picked up for season two, but its ratings will have to improve for the network to continue to stay behind it.

It wasn't the network's lowest-rated show, though. That was lead-out Scrubs, which dipped 21 percent week to week, from a 2.9 to a season-low 2.3.

Meanwhile, My Name is Earl was just 0.1 away from tying a series low with a 3.2 at 8 p.m., and ER did tie a series low for the third straight week with a 3.7, finishing third in the 10 p.m. timeslot it once dominated.

Media people expect changes on Thursdays at the network's upfront presentation next month. ABC and CBS have moved well ahead of NBC on the night, and while Scrubs is the only sitcom that hasn't been renewed for next year, it's doubtful they'll all stay on this night.

NBC wasn't the only one seeing season lows last night. Both ABC's Grey's Anatomy and CBS's CSI dipped to season lows, though they were by far the highest-rated shows of the night.

ABC was first for the night among 18-49s with a 5.2 average rating and a 14 share. CBS was second at 4.8/13, NBC third at 3.2/9, Fox fourth at 2.8/8, Univision fifth at 1.7/5 and CW sixth at 1.4/4.

CBS started the night in the lead with a 4.5 rating at 8 p.m. for Survivor, followed by a 3.6 for NBC for Earl (3.2) and The Office (3.9). Fox was third that hour with a 3.4 for Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, ABC fourth with a 3.1 for Ugly Betty, Univision fifth with a 1.7 for La Fea Mas Bella and CW sixth with a 1.5 for Smallville.

At 9 p.m. ABC took the lead with an 8.2 for Grey's, with CBS dropping to second with a 5.8 for CSI. NBC was third with a 2.4 average for Rock (2.4) and Scrubs (2.3), Fox fourth with a 2.1 for Trading Spouses, Univision fifth with a 1.8 for Destilando Amor and CW sixth with a 1.4 for Supernatural.

ABC led again at 10 p.m. with a 4.2 for October Road, followed by CBS with a 3.9 for Shark. NBC was third with a 3.7 for ER, and Univision fourth with a 1.6 for Aqui y Ahora.

Among households, CBS led the night with a 9.9 average rating and a 16 share, with ABC second at 8.6/14, Fox third at 4.7/8, NBC fourth at 4.6/8, CW fifth at 2.4/4 and Univision sixth at 2.1/3.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...icle_11737.asp

post #342 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
cymooregottapee - my bitch is that I never saw the browns in hd more than twice a year on cbs.. because they (the browns) suck.. it has nothing to do with cbs quality - which I agree is far beyond fox - its about the quantity of their games and hopefully now that they are doing 6 a week, 2 things will happen, 1) the hd quality will not suffer (which I doubt that it will) and 2) the browns are not always the odd game out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmooregottapee View Post

for all you complaining about CBS, you need to be flogged!

CBS has chosen to actually broadcast real HD, not the faux cram it all in crap like FOX has. some of those Fox HD games look wosre than SD.

people, it is not HD quality just because someone sticks two letters on it.... you morons are responsible for destroying tv picture quality.

i'm going to be half you whiners are watching the games using SD only cable on your EDTV plasmas thinking your getting HD.

i've got a solution for you though, take a small post it note, write HD on it and stick it on the corner of your screen, your moron family and friends will probably be none the whiser either.

post #343 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007-2008 Season
Programming Executives May Need To Redefine 'Hit'
A media critique by Wayne Friedman at MediaPost.com Friday, April 27, 2007

While unveiling news programs at next month's upfront presentations, broadcast network programmers should include a clear and perhaps frank addendum about those shows: There will be no more hits.

That will set the bar nice and low going into the upfront market, and then when the new David E. Kelly or Mark Burnett show arrives with a big, fat 2.3 rating among 18-49 viewers, networks executives can say "We told you so."

These days it's better to keep promises. Quite simply, underselling is cool.

Sound crazy? Consider this past season and the so-called hits. NBC's "Heroes"? Ratings have been dropping alarmingly. ABC's "Ugly Betty"? Please -- at mid 4 ratings among 18-49 viewers? What about "Shark" on CBS? It's getting a bit better -- but still not up to hit qualifications.

All the more reason why ex-MTV executive Herb Scannell's comments at a media conference in Los Angeles yesterday make sense. "Hits are getting hard in any business," he said. "You are starting to see a change in which what we thought of as being hits are no longer going to happen anymore."

Of course, Scannell knows from what he speaks. There haven't been any real hits at MTV recently -- not of the big cable-rated variety a la USA Network, TNT, or FX. The "Osbournes," "Real World," "Laguna Beach," and "Pimp My Ride," -while notable and buzzworthy, haven't yielded big, broad-based audiences.

But that's not a whack at MTV. It actually has been a harbinger of what's happening in the new digital world -- a world that evens the playing field into thousands of niche-content success stories among thousands of micro-targeted audiences.

Broadcast networks -- as well as any other traditional TV programmers -- are heading in the same direction. "American Idol" is the only true hit these days. By many projections, there won't be many others.

This upfront, network executives should just come clean, touting "average" TV shows that might interest "some" people.

http://blogs.mediapost.com/tv_watch/?p=681

post #344 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
sorry fred - you are right.. my fault
post #345 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks, no harm done, jim!

post #346 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Overnights in the 18-49 Demo
NBC's Thursday night sinks yet again
Stinker '30 Rock' finale pulls a 2.4 rating
By Toni Fitzgerald MediaLifeMagazine.com staff writer April 27, 2007

NBC's Thursday night lineup fell to its lowest rating in at least two decades among adults 18-49 last night, the second time it's done so in three weeks. It wasn't helped by the season finale of 30 Rock, which was the night's third-lowest-rated show on the Big Four broadcast networks.

Rock was even to the previous week with a 2.4 at 9 p.m., tying its lowest Thursday outing of the season. The show has already been picked up for season two, but its ratings will have to improve for the network to continue to stay behind it.

It wasn't the network's lowest-rated show, though. That was lead-out Scrubs, which dipped 21 percent week to week, from a 2.9 to a season-low 2.3.

I guess this seals it for "Scrubs" on NBC. ABC can have it if they want it, and would actually be an improvement (both quality and viewership-wise) over what they have right now. "30 Rock's" low ratings and the recent shenanigans with Alec Baldwin bring up an interesting question though: can a renewed show be un-renewed and cancelled? What sort of penalties/costs would be incurred? Is there any precedent for this scenario? I'm not a fan of "30 Rock" so I'll take everyone's word that it's a show worth rooting for (the same way I hope you take my and Fredfa's word that Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is nowhere near the disaster media people/critics are making it to be). But look at those numbers and tell me there's any hope "30 Rock" could be repeated this summer (doubtful), build on these saggy numbers and get renewed for a 3rd season. If I were NBC I'd cut the bleeding now, get a good look at my pilot projects and send Lorne Michaels/Tina Fey back to "SNL" full-time (or to do movies for Universal). But that's just coming from the guy bitter that he's been deprived of his weekly "Studio 60" dose of smarmy character dialogue since mid-February, so what do I know?

post #347 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I guess NBC hopes for something akin the what happened to "The Office".

And neither of us know what comedies the network has in development. Axing both "Scrubs" and "30 Rock" might be close to impossible.

post #348 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

I'm not a fan of "30 Rock" so I'll take everyone's word that it's a show worth rooting for (the same way I hope you take my and Fredfa's word that Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is nowhere near the disaster media people/critics are making it to be).

30 Rock is hilarious. I think 30 Rock does have a chance of spreading by word of mouth. Unlike 'Studio 60' which was shoved down our throats (I thought it was OK - but nowhere near West Wing and a bit too preachy given the context of the show) 30 Rock is more of a 'hey did you see 30 Rock last night? BLARG that was hilarious!' type of show. By that I mean I think a lot of people who would like it haven't even seen it, while with Studio 60, every West Wing fan watched it. 30 Rock will live or die by it's fan's promotion.

xnappo
post #349 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Good point, xnappo.

post #350 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

30 Rock will live or die by it's fan's promotion.

It helps that most of those fans are media writers/TV critics that love the show. Funny how being "too inside" and "about TV people" are phrases used to describe the failures of "Studio 60" but not "30 Rock," even though the former's lowest-rated episode never dipped as low as the latter's in recent weeks (although it was headed there if the downward trend in the ratings are to be believed).

post #351 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree with xnappo. As far as "quality" television goes, 30 Rock deserves a second season. Studio 60 really doesn't. Ironic to say that I suppose, since a year ago I had little intention of ever watching 30 Rock and was hoping NBC would never pick it up just to protect Studio 60 from any remote possibility of behind-the-scenes-of-a-latenight-sketch-show oversaturation.

As I've said before, if anything, 30 Rock is the better show because I believe that those people work behind the scenes of a comedy sketch show. I have never believed for even a minute that anyone on Studio 60 worked on a sketch show.

post #352 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

..... By that I mean I think a lot of people who would like it haven't even seen it, while with Studio 60, every West Wing fan watched it. 30 Rock will live or die by it's fan's promotion.

xnappo

Well, not quite. I believe TWW pulled down 12-16 pairs of eyeballs a week, perhaps more, during its heyday. If Studio 60 had done anywhere near the same, then poor dad would be a lot cheerier these days.
post #353 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I disagree, URFloorMatt, about "Studio 60".

Heightened expectations (and perhaps Sorkin's ego) certainly got in the way, but if NBC had a handle on what was happening they probably could have steered the show away from the preachy tone.

post #354 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The Business of Television
This year's Upfront dates

There is just a little over two weeks to go until we learn which shows will be back next year and what new programs are being scheduled by the networks. And keeping checking in over the weekend, as leaks about pickups and cancellations are bound to be slipping into the media over the next few days.

Here is the revised upfront schedule of when networks make their 2007-2008 season presentations to the nation's advertisers (and TV critics) in New York City:

NBC Monday May 14
ABC Tuesday May 15
CBS Wednesday May 16
FOX Thursday May 17
CW Thursday May 17

So be sure to check in to the Hot Off The Press thread from now and throughout the Upfront announcements for complete coverage of what we'll be seeing starting in September.

post #355 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:

I disagree, URFloorMatt, about "Studio 60".

Heightened expectations (and perhaps Sorkin's ego) certainly got in the way, but if NBC had a handle on what was happening they probably could have steered the show away from the preachy tone.

I'd love to have heard those discussions. Sorkin's gotta' be Sorkin and the brilliance comes with baggage, and an agenda. It's an agenda I happen to heartily endorse, so it never bothered me.
post #356 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
'Studio 60' Returning in May
Show will return after sweeps and after the upfronts
April 27, 2007

NBC has set a return date for "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip."

The Aaron Sorkin drama, which arrived last fall as the season's most hyped show and vanished from NBC's schedule amidst sinking ratings, will move to Thursday nights at 10 p.m. starting on May 24, at least according to the network's website for the show.

Not-so-coincidentally, that Thursday is the day after the end of the crucial May sweeps period and it comes a week after the upfront presentation at which NBC will reveal to advertisers whether or not "Studio 60" has a future on the network next season.

The show's chances for renewal are believed to be relatively slim.

Savvy viewers will recall that this is a return of sorts for "Studio 60." Last May, NBC announced that the series would air on Thursday nights at 9 p.m., only to run scurrying to Mondays after ABC moved "Grey's Anatomy" into the same time period.

"Studio 60" had a solid premiere, but by the time February rolled around the series was drawing only around 7 million same-day viewers (factoring in DVR usage gave the series a boost). The last original "Studio 60" aired back on February 19, before NBC shelved it a week earlier than expected for "The Black Donnellys."

Of course, "The Black Donnellys" failed to even premiere big and NBC pulled the plug on that Paul Haggis-created drama after only six episodes, replacing it with "The Real Wedding Crashers," which also didn't exactly dominate the time period.

NBC has yet to announce its specific intentions for the truncated "Studio 60" return. Six episodes remain unaired.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-st...news-headlines

I just saw this, and figured it was pertinent to the current discussion, as well as the news dad has been looking forward to.

Rocky
post #357 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Any news on whether ABC is going to put the remaining "Six Degrees" episodes online?
post #358 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The biggest week in local HD news switchovers ever!
The HD Revolution
45 Stations Providing HD News
By Glen Dickson Broadcasting & Cable

45 local broadcasters are now airing high-definition newscasts after seven stations jumped into the fray (this) week.

The new entries span a wide range of geography, affiliations and market size:
KCBS and KCAL, the CBS owned-and-operated stations in Los Angeles (DMA #2);
KTVK, Belo's independent station in Phoenix (DMA #13);
WSOC, the Cox station and ABC affiliate in Charlotte, N.C (DMA #26).;
KFSN, the ABC O&O in Fresno, Calif. (DMA #55);
Cordillera station and NBC affiliate WLEX Lexington, Ky. (DMA #63).
Cordillera station and NBC affiliate KVOA Tucson (DMA #70);

(WLEX, which launched on April 26, is actually the second station to offer HD news in the Lexington market, following CBS affiliate and Gray Television station WKYT, which launched on April 13.)

"The response has been overwhelming positive," says WLEX general manager Tim Gilbert. He adds that "lots of loyal viewers" have been offering suggestions on how to tweak the station's new HDTV set, such as adjusting camera angles.

"It's a brave new world," says Gilbert.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6437665

post #359 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Any news on whether ABC is going to put the remaining "Six Degrees" episodes online?

I thought ABC had done that already.

post #360 of 97112 Old 04-27-2007, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks to a reminder from AlanSaysYo, the complete network pilot order list has been updated in post five.

It is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10367400

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page