Forum Jump: 
 285Likes

post #40081 of 96917 Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
We all have shows we love and can't figure out why everyone else doesn't share our enthusiasm .

Mine is "Friday Night Lights".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40082 of 96917 Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

We all have shows we love and can't figure out why everyone else doesn't share our enthusiasm .

I don't understand that one either, when it comes to world class acting and directing, it doesn't get much better than FNL.
post #40083 of 96917 Old 08-21-2009, 06:13 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

We have the reality show version down here in these parts...and with more sex, alcohol, and cash involved.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #40084 of 96917 Old 08-21-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I couldn't disagree with Comos2 more -- and I couldn't miss a freakin' paycheck either....

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
Some Friday Cable Prime-Time Options

Oh, alright, check's in the mail.
But you know with all these proposed post office closings they can't be trusted to deliver it.
No offense DoubleDAZ.
post #40085 of 96917 Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I'm a little surprise reading everyone's DVR lineup. There a are a few that have "Supernatural" listed on Thursdays, and quite a few that don't, have "Fringe" in their lineup.

I watch(ed) both, and Fringe just doesn't seem to come even close to Supernatural. I understand everyone has a different opinion to what appeals them, but I'm starting to believe maybe some have never watched Supernatural....

I can understand where you are coming from since I thought large portions of Fringe were extremely derivative and unoriginal. Just as I did with early Supernatural episodes.

However with their finale, Fringe definitely entered my must-see list next season.

If anyone bailed on Supernatural early because of the same reasons I almost bailed on Fringe there really is no point in watching Supernatural now anyway. The mythology is far too deep to understand what's happening.

I know if f I don't watch from the start and in order I won't jump in at a later season, no matter how good the reviews are. Which is why I don't watch Mad Men.

post #40086 of 96917 Old 08-21-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
Killing Raises New Reality TV Concerns

By Brian Stelter, The New York Times, August 22, 2009

VH1 canceled one reality television show and put another under review this week amid charges that a cast member had killed his ex-wife and fled to Canada.

Ryan Alexander Jenkins, referred to as the “smooth operator” on VH1’s new dating show “Megan Wants a Millionaire,” was charged on Thursday with the murder of Jasmine Fiore, his former wife. Her mutilated body was found last week in Orange County, Calif., two days after Mr. Jenkins was paid for appearing on a second VH1 show, “I Love Money 3.”

The authorities said Friday that a manhunt was underway in British Columbia, where Mr. Jenkins was believed to be on the run.

The channel halted showings of “Megan Wants a Millionaire” after Mr. Jenkins, a contestant on the show, was identified as a “person of interest” in Ms. Fiore’s murder, and it said Friday that the show had been canceled. VH1 has not decided on the future of the other show, “I Love Money 3," which was set to make its debut in January.

The case cast an unsettling light on the casting practices of reality television, in particular the sometimes tawdry shows broadcast by VH1, a unit of Viacom. In a statement, the channel called Ms. Fiore’s death a “tragic situation” and referred further questions to 51 Minds Entertainment, the company that produced both shows.

The allegations against Mr. Jenkins, a 31-year-old self-professed womanizer, raised questions about the vetting of contestants after it emerged that he had a criminal history, one that 51 Minds said it did not know about when he was cast for “Megan Wants a Millionaire.” He was convicted two years ago for assaulting a woman in his native Calgary, and he was charged in June with misdemeanor battery after he was accused of hitting Ms. Fiore in the arm, The Associated Press reported.

“Obviously, if the company had been given a full picture of his background, he would never have been allowed on the show,” 51 Minds said in a statement. The company said it was investigating the case and “taking steps to ensure that this sort of lapse never occurs again.”

While it is true that producers are responsible for vetting cast members, Andy Dehnart, the editor of realityblurred.com, a popular Web site about reality television, said that VH1’s “abdication of responsibility is totally disingenuous.”

“The network has built a brand on unstable, crazy people interacting on these idiotic and mindless dating shows, and can’t pretend to not have anything to do with it,” he said.

In a statement Friday, VH1 said its “ultimate responsibility is what’s on our air, and in this case we immediately took the show off the schedule as well as off of our digital platforms.” The channel added: "Everyone has a role to play in the hundreds of hours of original programming that we develop each year. Something went wrong here, so we’re all looking at the process to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

Reality competitions like “Megan Wants a Millionaire,” which had its premiere Aug. 2, are now staples of VH1’s programming lineup, and many of the contestants are recycled from previous series and spinoffs. Megan Hauserman, the namesake of “Millionaire,” had appeared on three previous programs on the channel, each of them produced by 51 Minds.

The A.P. reported that Mr. Jenkins and Ms. Fiore, a former swimsuit model, were rather spontaneously married in March after he taped “Millionaire.” The marriage was annulled weeks later.

A spokesman for 51 Minds would not confirm reports that Mr. Jenkins was the winning contestant on “I Love Money 3,” but did say that he visited its production office on Aug. 12 to pick up a check for $5,200, his honorarium for appearing on the show. Ms. Fiore was found dead Aug. 14.

The television production giant Endemol owns a majority stake in 51 Minds. On Friday a spokeswoman for Endemol declined to elaborate on 51 Minds’ statement.

Mr. Dehnart said the case’s impact on VH1 and the production company would be minimal, “since the crime appears to be mostly unconnected to the show, and because reality TV has a long history of contestants with sketchy backgrounds.” He noted that as early as 2000, when dating shows were first beginning to appear on network television, the star of the Fox show “Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire?” was revealed to have had a restraining order filed against him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/22/ar...ref=television

post #40087 of 96917 Old 08-21-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

IMO, the people who run that production company -- and the execs of VH1 -- are beneath contempt.

post #40088 of 96917 Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Sports
NFL continues to draw good preseason numbers.

From sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/

Even in the preseason, the NFL is a solid television draw.

Thursday's Eagles/Colts preseason tilt drew a 4.2/8 final rating and 6.6 million viewers on FOX, up 31% in ratings and 43% in viewers from a 3.2/6 and 4.6 million for 49ers/Bears on the comparable night last year. Keep in mind last year's game aired opposite the Olympics.

Meanwhile, ESPN drew a 3.1 U.S. rating and 4.6 million viewers for Monday's Panthers/Giants game, up 24% in ratings and 31% in viewers from a 2.5 and 3.5 million for last year's comparable Browns/Giants game.

Through four nationally televised games, the 2009 NFL preseason is averaging a 3.8 rating and 5.9 million viewers on NBC, ESPN and FOX. To put that in perspective, the 3.8 rating is double the 1.9 FOX is averaging for regular season MLB coverage. Additionally, the 5.9 million viewers nearly matches the average for the 2008-09 college football bowl season (6 million viewers; 34 games), and tops the average for the 2009 NBA Playoffs (5.4 million viewers; 78 games).

The NFL preseason is also averaging a higher rating and more viewers than the 7-game Stanley Cup Final in June (2.7 rating, 4.9 million viewers on NBC and Versus).

Big names

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/

post #40089 of 96917 Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:

TV Notes
Killing Raises New Reality TV Concerns

By Brian Stelter, The New York Times, August 22, 2009

While it is true that producers are responsible for vetting cast members, Andy Dehnart, the editor of realityblurred.com, a popular Web site about reality television, said that VH1’s “abdication of responsibility is totally disingenuous.”

“The network has built a brand on unstable, crazy people interacting on these idiotic and mindless dating shows, and can’t pretend to not have anything to do with it,” he said.

That's a bit of hypocritical attitude coming from him. The reason they cast "unstable, crazy people" is because that's who the audience want to see. The crazier and more offensive they are, the better. That's who the audience talk about, blog about and love to watch. They don't want to see ordinary people, doing ordinary things in their ordinary and sensible lives.

The audience are feeding the requirement by watching those shows to begin with.

post #40090 of 96917 Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 170
(From Marc Berman’s August 21, 2009, Programming Insider newsletter and blog at Mediaweek.com)
Thursday’s Original Nielsen Finals
(posted by Travis Yanan)

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
- 6.781 million viewers
- 4.5/8 HH
- 1.4/5 A18-49

Big Brother
- 6.748 million viewers
- 4.3/8 HH
- 2.2/8 A18-49

NFL Pre-season Game: Eagles vs Colts (8:07pm, 182 minutes)
- 6.559 million viewers
- 4.2/8 HH
- 2.4/8 A18-49

Real Housewives of Atlanta (75 minutes)
- 1.9/4 HH
- 1.5/5 A18-49

Project Runway: All-Star Challenge (120 minutes)
- 2.92 million viewers
- 2.0/3 HH
- 1.3/4 A18-49

Project Runway
- 4.23 million viewers
- 2.8/5 HH
- 1.8/6 A18-49

Royal Pains
- 5.32 million viewers
- 3.4/6 HH
- 1.7/5 A18-49

http://travisyanan.blogspot.com/

Note: Previous overnight ratings are available at Marc Berman’s Programmers Insider blog:

http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t.../584105532/p/2

post #40091 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
Saturday Network Prime-Time Programming Options

(All shows are in HD unless noted as being in Standard Definition: SD)

(Reminder: If you are recording these programs, check your network listings for precise start/end times. For PBS, please double check your local listings.)

ABC:
8 According to Jim (R, April 29)
8:30 Movie: War of the Worlds (2006)

CBS:
8 Without A Trace (R, May 12, 2008)
9 48 Hours Mystery (R, October 20, 2007)
SD
10 48 Hours Mystery (R, September 6, 2008)
SD

NBC:
8 Law & Order: Criminal Intent (R, June 7)
9 Law & Order (R, March 25)
10 Law & Order: SVU (R, October 21, 2008)

Fox:
8 Cops (R, January 24)
8:30 Cops (R, January 31)
9 America's Most Wanted: America Fights Back
SD

PBS
8 Austin City Limits: Nick Lowe; The Swell Season: Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova (R, January 21)

MNT
8 Movie: Ghost In The Machine (1996)

post #40092 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I know if f I don't watch from the start and in order I won't jump in at a later season, no matter how good the reviews are. Which is why I don't watch Mad Men.

Such is the bane of the heavily serialized TV show (my favorite kind). However, in the case of 'Mad Men', all the publicity and awards finally seem to be paying off. Their audience (which has the highest per capita income of any show on TV) for the third season premiere this week increased by something like a third from their previous season, so a lot of folks did jump in, apparently. Officially, the audience has increased from "minuscule" to "small".

The show is so deliciously good on so many levels, however, you might just want to jump in anyway. And catch the previous seasons on another platform at your leisure. Every season jumps forward in time a bit from the end of the previous season, so it sort of starts over anyway in terms of new plotlines. I'd say it's more accessible than many serials simply because of the way it's structured.
post #40093 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive View Post

Such is the bane of the heavily serialized TV show (my favorite kind). However, in the case of 'Mad Men', all the publicity and awards finally seem to be paying off. Their audience (which has the highest per capita income of any show on TV) for the third season premiere this week increased by something like a third from their previous season, so a lot of folks did jump in, apparently. Officially, the audience has increased from "minuscule" to "small".

Me and my wife jumped in. Helped that in July they did S1 via on demand, and in August the ran S2. So we were able to catch up w/o buying the dvds.

Painful to wait the week between episodes now.

Dave

|
|
|
post #40094 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'm really irritated that Directv won't pick up AMC-HD, after watching season 1 in HD on Comcast On-Demand, I didn't catch Season #2, because I kept waiting for it to be in HD. I'm currently watching the Season #2 Blu-ray set.
post #40095 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I watched Mad Men once in SD, and decided then that it absolutely needed to be seen in HD. As a DirecTV subscriber, I'm still waiting. Maybe, some day, HDN or UHD will rerun the series from its start.

Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #40096 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I'm really irritated that Directv won't pick up AMC-HD, after watching season 1 in HD on Comcast On-Demand, I didn't catch Season #2, because I kept waiting for it to be in HD. I'm currently watching the Season #2 Blu-ray set.

Man, I'm shocked at that! I thought the satellite services basically had everything. Even TWC has AMC-HD, and we're usually the last to get anything good. Must be some corporate shenanigans going on to keep that one away for D* for so long.
post #40097 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I don't understand that one either, when it comes to world class acting and directing, it doesn't get much better than FNL.

In spades!

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #40098 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Man, I'm shocked at that! I thought the satellite services basically had everything. Even TWC has AMC-HD, and we're usually the last to get anything good. Must be some corporate shenanigans going on to keep that one away for D* for so long.

I'm sure there's a lot of politics involved somewhere, we're also waiting on Lifetime, LMN, Travel Channel, ESPNU and WGN-America.
post #40099 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMO, the people who run that production company -- and the execs of VH1 -- are beneath contempt.

Sounds like a fertile ground for TWC to pick up some more senior execs.

post #40100 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TV Sports
NFL continues to draw good preseason numbers.

From sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/

Even in the preseason, the NFL is a solid television draw.

Odd... seems to me it used to be the first teamers did a full quarter before the scrubs got their changes. Now it seems it's one, MAYBE 2 series and they are gone. Not worth making plans to watch, even though I'm a huge fan of my local teams.

post #40101 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

That's a bit of hypocritical attitude coming from him. The reason they cast "unstable, crazy people" is because that's who the audience want to see. The crazier and more offensive they are, the better. That's who the audience talk about, blog about and love to watch. They don't want to see ordinary people, doing ordinary things in their ordinary and sensible lives.

The audience are feeding the requirement by watching those shows to begin with.

Gong Show, Jerry Springer come to mind when reading your comments! I am VERY proud to have never watched ANY of these kinds of shows.

post #40102 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Totally agree about TWC... EXCEPT they just dropped, unannounced, BBC-A HD in my market and I could NOT be happier.

post #40103 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. The cockroaches hide when the light is turned on. What is more worrisome is the public's apparent growing appetite for such programming.

post #40104 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Couldn't agree more. The cockroaches hide when the light is turned on. What is more worrisome is the public's apparent growing appetite for such programming.

That stuff is growing like an infection all over the spectrum. If you're mindlessly channel flipping, you're bound to come across some of it, and they count on the outrageousness to capture and suck you in. It's like junk food. The more you eat, the more you want, and the worse it is for you.
post #40105 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You not last to get HD channels. My cable company, Charter, hold that distinction. But amazingly enough, it does have AMC in HD, but not many other well-watched channels.

Quote:

post #40106 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Another HD channel missing from DirecTV (but it doesn't get much attention here because of our male-centric readership) is Lifetime HD.

Every provider has its faults. I wish DirecTV offered a raft of the channels it doesn't.

But then I remember it does carry HDNet and HDNet movies. While I rarely watch HDNet (except for NASA Space Shuttle launches), I see at least three or four movies on HDNet movies a month and am very, very happy.

And I am able to watch my (former) Los Angeles RSNs in HD, something no cable or telco provider I am aware of would allow me to do.

So there are trade offs to all providers. Not one comes close to being perfect for all families all the time.

post #40107 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I'll get tonight's cable show rundown up in a bit -- I was delayed by a very rainy and lengthy) Saturday morning golf game.

It is a shame I can only score well when it pours.

post #40108 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Gong Show, Jerry Springer come to mind when reading your comments! I am VERY proud to have never watched ANY of these kinds of shows.

I loved the Gong Show (the original AI). Though it came on everyday, it was no pretentious put-on like American Idol. And a few pro singing careers were actually launched.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #40109 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:

I'll get tonight's cable show rundown up in a bit -- I was delayed by a very rainy and lengthy) Saturday morning golf game.

It is a shame I can only score well when it pours.

Some horses are great mudders. Anyone can run good on a dry track.
post #40110 of 96917 Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Directv will be adding more HD in quarter 1 of 2010. New satellite goes up in late 2009. Directv is out of capacity for more HD till new satellite D-12 is launched.

Thomas DiCecco
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page