post #40111 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCecco View Post

Directv will be adding more HD in quarter 1 of 2010. New satellite goes up in late 2009. Directv is out of capacity for more HD till new satellite D-12 is launched.

We hope they add new channels, and they do have room for more now, not a tremendous amount, but they definitely have room for some more HD, if they so desired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40112 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

Another HD channel missing from DirecTV

And maybe soon Versus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

We hope they add new channels, and they do have room for more now, not a tremendous amount, but they definitely have room for some more HD, if they so desired.

I agree, they could add 5 to 10 more national HDs if they wanted to, by turning off some of the redundant HD PPVs.
post #40113 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCecco View Post

Directv will be adding more HD in quarter 1 of 2010. New satellite goes up in late 2009. Directv is out of capacity for more HD till new satellite D-12 is launched.

I'm sure capacity is part of the problem, but you also have to consider what's more profitable. DirecTV has some 30+ HD PPV channels, surely if AMC-HD, Lifetime-HD, etc. were making the money those PPV channels do they'd be on the system by now.
post #40114 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
Some Saturday Cable (Mostly), Prime-Time Options

(All shows are in HD unless noted as being in Standard Definition: SD)

A&E
8 CSI: Miami (R)
9 CSI: Miami (R)
10 CSI: Miami (R)
AMC
8 Movie: Batman Begins (2005, three hours)

Animal Planet
8 In the Dog House (30 minutes)
8:30 In the Dog House (30 minutes)
9 It’s Me Or The Dog: The Dog Spinster
10 It’s Me Or The Dog: Pit Bull Predicament (R, Feb. 7)

BBC America
8 Being Human (R)
9 Being Human
10 The Graham Norton Show: Ronnie Corbett; Ricky Gervais

Bio
9 Ghostly Encounters: Building With History (R, July 25)
9:30 Ghostly Encounters: Ghosts in the Workplace (R, June 19, 2006)
9 Ghostly Encounters: Connection to the Land (R, July 18)
9:30 Ghostly Encounters: One Foot in the Spirit World
10 Psychic Investigators: Fatal Extraction
10:30 Psychic Investigators: ‘Til Death Do Us Part (R, July 18)

Disney
7 Movie: High School Musical (2006)
9 Movie: High School Musical 2 (2007)

Discovery
8 Dirty Jobs: Sled Dog Breeder (R, April 12)
9 Mythbusters: Ninjas 2 (R, Aug. 29, 2008)
10 Time Warp: Metallica (R, April 29)

ESPN
7:30 NASCAR Racing: Sprint Cup: Sharpie 500 From Bristol Motor Speedway in Bristol, TN

ESPN2
7 Little League Baseball: Chula Vista CA vs. Russellville KY Northwest Regional Final

Fox News Channel
8 Huckabee
10 Geraldo At Large

HBO
10 Boxing: Juan Diaz vs. Paulie Malignaggi, Junior Welterweights

HDNet
8 Deadline: Katie Daryl attempts being a rock star. (R)
8:30 Get Out! Papeete, Tahiti (R)
9 Bikini Destinations: Playing in Paradise "Playa Del Carmen" (R)
9:30 Art Mann Presents... The A to Z of AMP, Part One l(R)
9:30 The Best of Art Mann Presents... The A to Z of AMP, Part Two (R)
10:30 Vegas Confessions: Three bartenders tell all (R)

HDNet Movies
8:30 Reservoir Dogs R - 1992 - Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen Director: Quentin Tarantino
Quentin Tarantino's directorial debut about the aftermath of a jewelry heist gone wrong.
10:15 The Jacket: R - 2005 - Adrien Brody, Keira Knightley, Kris Kristofferson Director: John Maybury
A disturbing treatment for a war veteran allows him to travel in time and save the lives of the people he loves.

MGM HD
5:50 Red Dawn Colorado teens (Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson) fight back after Soviet-led paratroops drop into town for World War III.| Directed By: John Milius 114min., Rated PG-13 (1984)
8 Convoy: ``Rubber Duck'' (Kris Kristofferson) blocks a crooked sheriff (Ernest Borgnine) with a CB-linked army of big rigs. With Ali MacGraw. Directed By: Sam Peckinpah 111min., Rated PG (1978)
10 The Killer Elite A former hit man (James Caan) for the CIA protects the Asian target of a double-crossing colleague (Robert Duvall). Directed By: Sam Peckinpah 122min., Rated PG (1975)
12:15 a.m. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia A seedy American (Warren Oates) and his hooker girlfriend (Silvia Pinal) seek an angry father's $1 million bounty. With Gig Young Directed By: Sam Peckinpah 112min., Rated R (1974)

MLB Network
8 MLB Baseball: San Francisco at Colorado

NGC
8 The Whale That Exploded(R)
9 Hooked: Man vs. Fish (R)
10 Taboo: Extreme Healing (R)

TBS
9 Bill Engvall Show
9:30 Bill Engvall Show (R)

TLC
10 Moving Up: Have a Little Faith

Travel
8 Bizarre Foods With Andrew Zimmern: Texas (R)
9 Bizarre Foods With Andrew Zimmern: Appalachia (R)
10 Samantha Brown's Great Weekends: Smoky Mountains
10:30 Man vs. Food: Charleston (R)

TCM
8 The Asphalt Jungle An ex-convict masterminds a jewel heist with assorted losers destined for a dragnet.
Sterling Hayden, Sam Jaffe, Marilyn Monroe, Louis Calhern, Jean Hagen (1950)
post #40115 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

As I have noted, Comcast owns Versus. Comcast has refused to allow DirecTV to carry its Philadelphia RSN. I would have to assume there is some connection.

Versus carries very little that is highly rated (and I certainly don't mean to offend NHL fans -- RSN coverage of NK games does fairly well, but nationally, not so much.)

Versus has some Pac-10, MWC and Big XII Football, but it gets third and fourth choice of those games, and so they are generally not top-tier. (I think it does carry some top Ivy League games, IIRC).

So DirecTV is not really losing all that much, IMO, if it plays hardball with Comcast.

Believe me, I am not defending the tactic, just trying to understand it. As a Pac-10 fan, I could miss several games this year on Versus I would prefer to see.
post #40116 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 12:07 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone watch a series called Durham County ? I heard it coming on the ION network and it was a great series but really have no idea what it is all about ? It is a drama, horror, or comedy ? What's the plot ?
post #40117 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Odd... seems to me it used to be the first teamers did a full quarter before the scrubs got their changes. Now it seems it's one, MAYBE 2 series and they are gone. Not worth making plans to watch, even though I'm a huge fan of my local teams.

Generally the way the starters play is:
Week 1 -- 1st drive only.
Week 2 -- 1.5 qtrs.
Week 3 -- 1st half & some of 3rd qtr.
Week 4 -- 1st drive only.

post #40118 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose View Post

Does anyone watch a series called Durham County ? I heard it coming on the ION network and it was a great series but really have no idea what it is all about ? It is a drama, horror, or comedy ? What's the plot ?

Never seen it, but here are a few links:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0885761/
http://www.epguides/DurhamCounty
http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch.a...=durham_county
http://thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20090817ion02
post #40119 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 12:26 PM

Thanks rebkell It looks really interesting so I'll be checking it out on the ION network
post #40120 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I have noted, Comcast owns Versus. Comcast has refused to allow DirecTV to carry its Philadelphia RSN. I would have to assume there is some connection.

Thats only because of a very old out dated "loophole" that said that they could withhold the channel because they didn't distribute the channel via satellite. It was distributed via microwave at that time, and now fiber. But DirecTV receives a few channels via fiber now, so that "loophole" is really outdated. It has nothing to do with the Vs. deal.

Quote:
Versus carries very little that is highly rated (and I certainly don't mean to offend NHL fans -- RSN coverage of NK games does fairly well, but nationally, not so much.)

I am a huge hockey fan (along with many others). Yes we can get most games via NHLCI, but if they turn the channel off and nothing is negotiated by April, then we will miss out on the 3rd round of the NHL playoffs and first 2 games of the Stanley Cup finals.

Quote:
Versus has some Pac-10, MWC and Big XII Football, but it gets third and fourth choice of those games, and so they are generally not top-tier. (I think it does carry some top Ivy League games, IIRC).

So DirecTV is not really losing all that much, IMO, if it plays hardball with Comcast.

Believe me, I am not defending the tactic, just trying to understand it. As a Pac-10 fan, I could miss several games this year on Versus I would prefer to see.

Yes DirecTV has a lot to lose by losing this channel, a lot of hockey fans, rodeo fans, Tour de France fans, college football fans, etc, etc. After all, DirecTV is suppose to be the "leader in sports".
post #40121 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

We will have to simply agree to disagree on a number of points, TRP. ASnd who knows, you may turn out to be right. I have been wrong often in the past.

But remember that Comcast spent lots of money lobbying to keep that "loophole" in the FCC regulations -- including a much Congressional strong arming from its home-state Senator Arlen Specter.

I am not doubting that there are huge hockey fans, as I noted, there just aren't all that many of them who will watch games involving non-local teams. Regular season NHL ratings on Versus last season were about 300,000 viewers per game. That wouldn't even crack the top 200 shows in the weekly cable ratings.

You point about the NHL playoffs is relevant (and ratings were better), but they are close to eight months away.

As I noted, its college football schedule is really not top-rung, the Tour de France isn't until next July, and ratings show that in the overall scheme of sports programming Versus is really a fairly minor player. In addition, as I read the NCAA football plans of various networks, there should be a couple of dozen HD football games available to DirecTV customers each week, even without Versus.

(The first week, Versus doesn't carry any NCAA football games,so the initial games subs would miss would be Texas at Wyoming Sept 12, Duke at Kansas and Florida State at BYU, both on Sept. 19, and Cornell at Yale along with a Pac-10 game TBA on Sept. 26.)

Frankly I wish DirecTV or someone had the guts to stand up to ESPN if it really wished to save us money. But to its credit it didn't play that card, it simply said the deal Versus wants is not commensurate with other deals it has made with other providers.

It would not surprise me (and it shouldn't surprise you) if -- as DirecTV is at least hinting -- Comcast is attempting to charge satellite and telco providers more than it charges other cable companies. Hatred of satellite is just in the Roberts DNA.

I disagree that DirecTV has a LOT to lose, but it certainly will be upsetting some of its subscribers if it loses Versus. That missing Pac-10 game will upset me on Sept 26, for example.

But I am also sure Comcast will be upsetting many of its advertisers if it loses millions of DirecTV's subs.

Frankly I suspect this is a lot of noise about very little. Just another game of corporate "chicken". Versus may get pulled from DirecTV for a while, but I doubt the darkness will last long, even if it should occur. Each side has a lot to lose. In looking at the whole picture, io me, it is Comcast which stands to lose more.

But as I noted, this is just my opinion. You are certainly free to disagree.
post #40122 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I have noted, Comcast owns Versus.

And Cablevision owns MSG and while they allow TWC to carry MSG HD, they are withholding it from Verizon FiOS. And to add insult, they allow FiOS to pay to carry the SD channel, but lock them out of the HD channel.

The issue is it's one cable company owning content that allows them to shut their competitors out. While there are a large number of folks who are screaming because the government is starting to look into the matter, there the other half who want rules in place to prevent this kind of anti-competitive crap to go on. Plus we are coming off 8 years of the relaxing of many government regs about anti-competitive behavior... especially involving media ownership. As in it's far more possible for one media conglomerate to "own" all the media outlets in a city so only their political views get aired.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #40123 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

That is scary enough when it comes to sports, but the same sort of thing is happening in news, too. The bigger a congolmerate gets, the more sensitive it is to having its news division cover stories that could put it in a bad light.

That is beyond annoying. That could be downright destructive to us all.

But si suspect this is getting pretty OT from TV or HD, so perhaps we should move on.
post #40124 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that I actually HAVE BBC HD, I find a lot of questions I do have. Did a bunch of googling, but can't really find answers and I'm sure someone here can sit out the ansers like a tummy-gin!

The original broadcasts of Being Human are 75 minutes... I've watched the first several episodes and think there's simply more material broadcast than the one hour re-broadcasts. I DO recall a bunch of grousing about "censorship" which seemed to imply material was cut to fit into the typical US one hour time slot, 45 minutes of content.

Next is Torchwood CoG. All 75 total minutes, and I'm assuming about 60 of content. Yes I have all 5 episodes recorded in SD. Can't find boo about them re-running, but when they do, I'll bet it will be one hour/45 minutes of content.

Will any future re-broadcasts be 45 or 60 minutes of content?

AND how can one go about finding out when any future broadcasts be happening?

BTW, I am kinda of anxious to get answers... sure it's not hard to hold onto the SD ones I now have, but I just got forced into MDN and I'm having issues that may or may not be solved by a new box... AND it's looking like I MAY be able to swap the 160D drive in the new Samsung 3090 for a 320G drive... so the pull to swap out my box is fairly strong.

post #40125 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I watched repeats of Torchwood, COE. I kept overshooting the commercials. Seemed like a lot of commercials with relatively short durations. I didn't add up content versus total length.

Today at 4 pdt there is supposed to be a repeat of the episode 1, season 1. I'm leery that it will actually be on since some guides I have seen don't have it. Titan TV showed today's program but no others for the next two weeks. In any event I have now set the DVR to record all episodes of Torchwood.

Quote:

Now that I actually HAVE BBC HD, I find a lot of questions I do have. Did a bunch of googling, but can't really find answers and I'm sure someone here can sit out the ansers like a tummy-gin!

The original broadcasts of Being Human are 75 minutes... I've watched the first several episodes and think there's simply more material broadcast than the one hour re-broadcasts. I DO recall a bunch of grousing about "censorship" which seemed to imply material was cut to fit into the typical US one hour time slot, 45 minutes of content.

Next is Torchwood CoG. All 75 total minutes, and I'm assuming about 60 of content. Yes I have all 5 episodes recorded in SD. Can't find boo about them re-running, but when they do, I'll bet it will be one hour/45 minutes of content.

Will any future re-broadcasts be 45 or 60 minutes of content?

AND how can one go about finding out when any future broadcasts be happening?

BTW, I am kinda of anxious to get answers... sure it's not hard to hold onto the SD ones I now have, but I just got forced into MDN and I'm having issues that may or may not be solved by a new box... AND it's looking like I MAY be able to swap the 160D drive in the new Samsung 3090 for a 320G drive... so the pull to swap out my box is fairly strong.

post #40126 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Being Human as originally aired(UK) ran a little over 57 mins of content. Torchwood CoE as originally aired(UK) ran a little over 58 mins of content.
post #40127 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Being Human as originally aired(UK) ran a little over 57 mins of content. Torchwood CoE as originally aired(UK) ran a little over 58 mins of content.

Ah, thanks that confirms what I thought. Watch the very first run or lose 15 minutes of content. At least I can start with tonight's BH in HD... except I saw somewhere about how next week is the season finale. Half a dozen shows to a season?

Yes I did catch the TW was on at 7(ET) tonight... BUT not next Sat. nite, so WTF???

I was not terribly upset at the SD BTW. It was letterboxed and side pillared, so zoom works pretty well. PQ was not THAT bad... but I have seen a good amount of BBC content in HD (HDNet, SyFy) and did not think it the best example of HD.

OH I MISS MY HDNET!!!

post #40128 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Ah, thanks that confirms what I thought. Watch the very first run or lose 15 minutes of content. At least I can start with tonight's BH in HD... except I saw somewhere about how next week is the season finale. Half a dozen shows to a season?

Six episodes to the Being Human season, there's a pilot out there somewhere as well in addition to those six.
post #40129 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

I'll get tonight's cable show rundown up in a bit -- I was delayed by a very rainy and lengthy) Saturday morning golf game.

It is a shame I can only score well when it pours.

At least you got to play, day 1 of our interclub match was rained out.
post #40130 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

CoE?
post #40131 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post

CoE?

Children of Earth, the last Torchwood series that aired consisting of 5 eps.
post #40132 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We will have to simply agree to disagree on a number of points, TRP. ASnd who knows, you may turn out to be right. I have been wrong often in the past.

But remember that Comcast spent lots of money lobbying to keep that "loophole" in the FCC regulations -- including a much Congressional strong arming from its home-state Senator Arlen Specter.

I am not doubting that there are huge hockey fans, as I noted, there just aren't all that many of them who will watch games involving non-local teams. Regular season NHL ratings on Versus last season were about 300,000 viewers per game. That wouldn't even crack the top 200 shows in the weekly cable ratings.

You point about the NHL playoffs is relevant (and ratings were better), but they are close to eight months away.

As I noted, its college football schedule is really not top-rung, the Tour de France isn't until next July, and ratings show that in the overall scheme of sports programming Versus is really a fairly minor player. In addition, as I read the NCAA football plans of various networks, there should be a couple of dozen HD football games available to DirecTV customers each week, even without Versus.

(The first week, Versus doesn't carry any NCAA football games,so the initial games subs would miss would be Texas at Wyoming Sept 12, Duke at Kansas and Florida State at BYU, both on Sept. 19, and Cornell at Yale along with a Pac-10 game TBA on Sept. 26.)

Frankly I wish DirecTV or someone had the guts to stand up to ESPN if it really wished to save us money. But to its credit it didn't play that card, it simply said the deal Versus wants is not commensurate with other deals it has made with other providers.

It would not surprise me (and it shouldn't surprise you) if -- as DirecTV is at least hinting -- Comcast is attempting to charge satellite and telco providers more than it charges other cable companies. Hatred of satellite is just in the Roberts DNA.

I disagree that DirecTV has a LOT to lose, but it certainly will be upsetting some of its subscribers if it loses Versus. That missing Pac-10 game will upset me on Sept 26, for example.

But I am also sure Comcast will be upsetting many of its advertisers if it loses millions of DirecTV's subs.

Frankly I suspect this is a lot of noise about very little. Just another game of corporate "chicken". Versus may get pulled from DirecTV for a while, but I doubt the darkness will last long, even if it should occur. Each side has a lot to lose. In looking at the whole picture, io me, it is Comcast which stands to lose more.

But as I noted, this is just my opinion. You are certainly free to disagree.

Nah, I don't disagree with you, just frustrated and vented I guess, sorry. I pretty much agree with everything you said.

I know about Comcast "paying off" Specter, and thats sad really. This is why content providers should not be allowed to own content networks, or professional teams, but I guess money talks.

I think (hope) one of two things will happen
1. They will come to an 11th hour agreement or
2. The channel will be turned off, and either one or both will realize the "mistake" they made and get it turned back on before the playoffs start.

Yes you're right, playoffs are 8 months away, so in that time frame I'm hopeful they'll get something worked out, or I'll be turning on cable for 2 months.

Thanks
post #40133 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Friday's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings (which include the total viewers and 18-49 demographic estimates in every half hour) have been posted near the top of Ratings News -- the second post in this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10367387
post #40134 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Not sure why you think you'd lose 15 minutes of content. The repeats I watched were 75 minutes long which I presume allowed for all content plus commercials.

BTW, TW was indeed on today. It was a late edition to the Guide on my TV so I hope the same thing will happen next week.

Quote:

post #40135 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

That is scary enough when it comes to sports, but the same sort of thing is happening in news, too. The bigger a congolmerate gets, the more sensitive it is to having its news division cover stories that could put it in a bad light.

That is beyond annoying. That could be downright destructive to us all.

With newspapers disappearing and Radio/TV news increasingly being controlled by large corporations, the only source I'll be able to take seriously is HOTP!
post #40136 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #40137 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I should make one thing very clear about this forum.

No one ever needs to agree with me. That would be boring -- (and mean he or she was wrong a decent amount of the time -- just as I am.)

Obviously I feel strongly about a whole range of issues, but I try not to make a comment on every story I post...or even too many of them. And often when I make comments it is to attempt to elicit some response from folks who read the thread.

I hope you all understand that many, if not most, things I post are about topics I a) know little about, or b) care little about, or c) disagree with.

The idea is for you all to learn more about TV and the way it works so you can make up your minds. And if that sometimes leaves us at odds over what we believe or enjoy, so be it. The thread will survive.

I don't want anyone to ever feel bullied here -- especially if they feel I disagree with them.

I'll make my argument, sometimes come back with a counter argument, and then, generally, let it be -- unless I see something I know for a fact is inaccurate.

But no one should ever feel like I am being mean or thinking their opinion has any less value than mine. If that ever happens, please PM me and we can hopefully get things straightened out quickly.

Everyone should come here hoping to learn something about TV, perhaps find something interesting to read and know he or she will not come under any kind of personal attack when discussing any topic. That is another reason I discourage trashing most TV shows (although some reality junk does cause me to make exceptions on occasion!).

I don't care what shows you like, what provider you are happy with or what kind of TV set or DVD player you have. I just hope to maybe, once in a while, open your eyes to something you might not have thought of watching, or some things about the way TV works you might not have known or considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol View Post

Nah, I don't disagree with you, just frustrated and vented I guess, sorry. I pretty much agree with everything you said. ....

post #40138 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Critic’s Notes
Streamlining the TV viewing experience
Viewers watching shows anytime, anywhere

By Brian Lowry, Variety

Unlike the sprinters chasing Usain Bolt when he shattered the 100-meter dash world record, I didn't need any help catching up with the Jamaican phenom. By the next morning, thanks to ESPN's "SportsCenter" and the Web, I had condensed about four hours of Sunday TV viewing -- including Bolt's run, Michael Vick's "60 Minutes" interview and the juiciest part of Rachel Maddow's maiden "Meet the Press" appearance -- down to about 20 minutes.

In this age of second-chance TV, the math is simple: Watch now for hours, or watch later in minutes.

The Emmy Awards caused a ruckus when organizers proposed pretaping and "time-shifting" a number of trophy presentations in order to excise time-wasting material. Yet while talent guild protests scuttled the plan, the prevalence of time-shifting on other fronts has flummoxed various facets of the business, from Nielsen's efforts to capture who's watching what where and when to studios' ability to monetize consumption of their products.

One needn't be a technological whiz anymore to trim the fat and streamline the TV viewing experience. All that's required is a computer, perhaps a digital video recorder and a little patience.

Even TiVo is increasingly unnecessary given the availability of content in other forums shortly after its initial exposure. Unless it's a scripted program that one desperately wants to see -- or perhaps a live sporting event where you truly care about the outcome -- so much of TV can be swallowed in bite-sized bits that "time-shifting" is merely a matter of more efficiently allocating one's time.

Besides, just zapping past commercials is for amateurs. The real trick now is finding TV's choicest chunks -- Kate Gosselin's teary "Today" show interview, Keith Olbermann and Bill O'Reilly trading volleys, Rick Sanchez's goofiest empty-headed anchorman moments -- and skipping the rest.

Networks have assumed, or perhaps hoped, that the benefits of this second-chance viewing would be promotional, but I'm beginning to suspect the drain outweighs that. Take the week of Aug. 17, when I didn't watch "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien" or "Late Show With David Letterman" but still caught Triumph the Insult Comic Dog's hilarious visit to a hotel for canines and a bikini-clad Britney Spears' "Top 10" list -- after muting the online ads that preceded them.

Sorry about that last part, but I'm just being honest.

None of this would be of great concern -- hey, freedom of choice is a wonderful thing, right? -- if not for two complicating factors: First, it's incredibly difficult to accurately monitor viewership when it's diced up in this manner; and second, even if you can calculate the audience, it's going to yield pennies on the dollar compared to traditional TV viewing.

Under siege yet again from its network clients -- who are floating the prospect of bankrolling a rival system -- Nielsen reiterated its commitment to "measuring across all screens" (TV, computers and mobile devices) to provide the data the industry craves. But the truth is that even reliable multiscreen measurement doesn't solve the underlying problem of how to cash in on it.

Meanwhile, new rating techniques and criteria keep arising, from TiVo's "Pure Program" ratings -- which seemingly requires an advanced degree to read the press release -- to Innerscope Research's use of biometrics that integrate "eye tracking and measures of skin conductivity, heart rate variability, respiratory response and motion to provide deeper insight into consumers' media and message consumption ... and gauges emotions at their core -- below conscious awareness."

Sounds a little like "Total Recall," but until all newborns are implanted with a chip to monitor their ongoing media usage, everyone's chasing a fast-moving target.

As with evolving ratings, nobody knows precisely what will emerge as the dominant form of distribution, but it's going to involve being able to dial up what you want on a whim -- preferably fed directly into a big flatscreen TV as opposed to a smaller computer monitor. The next question remains how you get people to pay for that, especially when there are so many sites and services that obligingly sift through mountains of video and cull out the best moments, be they a heated cable interview, a latenight gag or some gaffe by a far-away local-news reporter.

Provided you're willing to wait a bit, all that content is now available in minutes, without having to sit through the preliminaries watching Bolt limber up or the O'Brien monologue and guests that preceded and followed Triumph's latest comedic triumph.

Eventually, though, somebody has to figure out how to entice, cajole or scare me and millions of other time-shifters into paying for the experience. Until then, those in the business are essentially doing the same thing as their audience: living on borrowed time.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1
post #40139 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
Sunday Show Preview

From FishBowl DC

NBC's Meet the Press: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen, U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan Karl Eikenberry, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) and Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) and a roundtable with PBS' Tavis Smiley and MSNBC's Joe Scarborough

CBS' Face the Nation: Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Sen. Kent Conrad (D-ND) and former DNC Chairman Howard Dean

ABC's This Week: Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) and a roundtable with 2008 Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman, Washington Post'sKathleen Parker, former Clinton Labor Secretary Robert Reich and ABC News' George Will

Fox News Sunday: Former White House Faith-Based Initiative Director and St. Vincent College President Jim Towey, Sen. Arlen Specter (D-PA), Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), Assistant Secretary of Veterans' Affairs Tammy Duckworth and a panel with former senior advisor to Kerry and Gore campaigns Tad Devine, former senior advisor to McCain campaign Nicolle Wallace and Fox News contribtors Weekly Standard's Bill Kristol and NPR's Juan Williams

CNN's State of the Union: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen, U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan Karl Eikenberry, Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN), Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-CT), Sen. Ben Cardin (D-MD) and CNN contributors Republican strategist William Bennett and Democratic strategist Donna Brazile

CNN's Reliable Sources with Howard Kurtz: NewMajority.com editor David Frum, Washington Post's Anne Kornblut, Chicago Tribune's Clarence Page, CBS "60 Minutes" correspondent Steve Kroft and CBS "60 Minutes" executive producer Jeff Fager

CNN's GPS with Fareed Zakaria: China Premier Wen Jiabao and "Outliers" author Malcolm Gladwell

NBC's The Chris Matthews Show: Washington Post's Bob Woodward, the Daily Beast's Tina Brown, Time's Joe Klein and CNN's Gloria Borger

Washington Week with Gwen Ifill and National Journal: Washington Post's Ceci Connolly, NYT's Peter Baker, Politico's Jeanne Cummings and WSJ's Naftali Bendavid

Bloomberg's Political Capital with Al Hunt: Education Secretary Arne Duncan and Bloomberg's John McCormick, Margaret Carlson and Kate O'Beirne

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlD...ew__124864.asp
post #40140 of 96270 Old 08-22-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

Critic’s Notes
Streamlining the TV viewing experience
Viewers watching shows anytime, anywhere

By Brian Lowry, Variety

...The real trick now is finding TV's choicest chunks -- Kate Gosselin's teary "Today" show interview, Keith Olbermann and Bill O'Reilly trading volleys, Rick Sanchez's goofiest empty-headed anchorman moments -- and skipping the rest.

Networks have assumed, or perhaps hoped, that the benefits of this second-chance viewing would be promotional, but I'm beginning to suspect the drain outweighs that. Take the week of Aug. 17, when I didn't watch "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien" or "Late Show With David Letterman" but still caught Triumph the Insult Comic Dog's hilarious visit to a hotel for canines and a bikini-clad Britney Spears' "Top 10" list -- after muting the online ads that preceded them.

This is exactly why I will never watch a show like American Idol, Dancing with the Stars or similar on TV. No talk shows, either. Most of those shows are outright crap for most of the hour (with way too many commercials) and if something absolutely amazing happens on them, I'll catch it on U-Tube or some other source later on. Heck, even the news outlets will be covering the event like it's actual news, so there's little point in wasting my time.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page