Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 1339 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #40141 of 95743 Old 08-22-2009, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dang go on a vacation for a week and I got three hundred post to read. Well I miss the age shout out, so just for the record 57 this year. My how TV has changed over those many years. I don't why it hit me like this, but I think the changes for me started in the dark days of November 1963. A president shot and we almost see it live in real time. Another man actually kill on a live broadcast wow for a eleven year old it was unbelievable theater, TV at it's best.

Life is no harder than you make it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40142 of 95743 Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Just 300 posts? Must have been a slow week on the thread, BiggiE!
post #40143 of 95743 Old 08-22-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

That is scary enough when it comes to sports, but the same sort of thing is happening in news, too. The bigger a congolmerate gets, the more sensitive it is to having its news division cover stories that could put it in a bad light.

The sad, ironic part of all of this is that you almost have to watch or listen to BBC WorldService to get a clear picture of what's going on in the good 'ole USofA these days.
post #40144 of 95743 Old 08-22-2009, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
Dog Days for Network Marketers
Summer slump means promos lacking eyes

By Marisa Guthrie -- Broadcasting & Cable, 8/24/2009

While the broadcast networks come off their worst summer tune-in on record, the marketing executives charged with promoting the fall are facing some of the most grueling circumstances ever in which to launch a new season.

Television usage has always declined during the summer, but the recent flatlining means the networks have had historically little on-air promotion to work with. None of the nets managed to crack a 2 rating in the 18-49 demographic on average for the summer, and ABC thrice posted the lowest weekly demo rating ever recorded by the Big Four. At the same time, budgets for off-air marketing aren't exactly swelling, and of course there's the fragmenting audience.

This comes as the upfront marketplace saw a billion-dollar dropoff, so the networks are under pressure to make some noise ratings-wise to recover those lost ad dollars in the scatter market.

As a result, marketers are making tough choices about which shows to push—and how. They are once again employing efforts that eschew the scattershot approach popular during flush times in favor of hyper-targeted strategies that put priority shows in front of those most likely to tune in.

“It does force you to be as focused as possible in terms of target audience definition,” says Adam Stotsky, president of marketing for NBC Entertainment.

CBS will put a video ad inside the Sept. 18 issue of Entertainment Weekly in New York and Los Angeles. Asked if the network wasn't spending a lot of money to sing to the choir, George Schweitzer, president of CBS Marketing Group, says he picked this choir carefully.

“People who read Entertainment Weekly are highly engaged in media,” he says. “They talk about it. They write about it on Twitter and Facebook. That's a very influential audience for us to reach.”

ABC has seven new shows this fall. Mike Benson, executive VP of marketing for ABC Entertainment Group, says the network is putting its push behind comedy Modern Family and drama Flash Forward.

Fox is putting its muscle behind musical dramedy Glee and the fall iteration of So You Think You Can Dance, but is spending about the same on off-air promotion as in years past, according to Joe Earley, executive VP of marketing and communications at Fox Entertainment Group.

In keeping with The CW's risqué marketing strategies, its online ad for The Beautiful Life shows naked cast members with the tagline “What are you looking at?” covering their nether regions.

There's calculated method to the immodesty, says Rick Haskins, executive VP of marketing and brand strategy at The CW. “It's about understanding our audience,” he adds, “understanding what it takes to communicate our message to them, and then getting the creative execution correct.”

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art..._Marketers.php
post #40145 of 95743 Old 08-22-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Well Fred I did try to read a little of HOTP on my cell the first few days. But with chasing the granddaughters and walking around Wally World for four days I got behind. Plus these old eye aren't use to reading that darn tiny print on a cell phone screen.

Life is no harder than you make it.
post #40146 of 95743 Old 08-22-2009, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Television usage has always declined during the summer, but the recent flatlining means the networks have had historically little on-air promotion to work with. None of the nets managed to crack a 2 rating in the 18-49 demographic on average for the summer, and ABC thrice posted the lowest weekly demo rating ever recorded by the Big Four. At the same time, budgets for off-air marketing aren't exactly swelling, and of course there's the fragmenting audience.

As a result, marketers are making tough choices about which shows to push—and how. They are once again employing efforts that eschew the scattershot approach popular during flush times in favor of hyper-targeted strategies that put priority shows in front of those most likely to tune in.

I've noticed promos for NBC Fall shows on the NBC-U cable channels (Bravo, USA, etc.). Are these NBC Fall promos running during high-rated originals ("Housewives...," "Psych," "Warehouse 13," etc.)? If so NBC has an upper-hand over other networks with cable channels that don't get as many viewers as the highest-rated NBC-U cable networks. Isn't ironic though? Cable channels promoting new Fall network shows.
post #40147 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
fred any information on how much D* is paying for VS now ?

After reading the director of public relations for DirecTV quote yesterday if sounds like VS is asking for a large increase ,I'm curious as to what they charge now and what they are asking for .

Quote:

By Diane Pucin

Robert Mercer, director of public relations for DirecTV, said: "Versus' overall ratings are poor and have not increased nearly enough to justify what we're paying them, let alone the significant increase they're asking for.

"It is a significant rate hike and the deal is discriminatory because Versus is not offering the same package options as other distributors."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,4477246.story
post #40148 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Been working nights this week. Sorry!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #40149 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Not sure why you think you'd lose 15 minutes of content. The repeats I watched were 75 minutes long which I presume allowed for all content plus commercials.

BTW, TW was indeed on today. It was a late edition to the Guide on my TV so I hope the same thing will happen next week.

It looks like MAYBE the first repeat is. The repeat of last Sat. show (now that I have BBC HD) was only 60 minutes.

Nah, I checked next Sat. and they are not running s1_e2 of Torchwood.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #40150 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Critic’s Notes
On The Air Tonight
Miss Universe, Hewitt Salute

By Roger Catlin, Hartford Courant TV Critic, in his “TV Eye” blog, August 21, 2009

The touch of Trump forever sullies "Miss Universe 2009" (NBC, 9 p.m.), one of the last of the network televised pageants. Having failed to make former "Deal or No Deal" suitcase toter Claudia Jordan famous on his "Celebrity Apprentice," she is now co-hosting the event alongside Billy Bush, from Paradise Island in the Bahamas. Flo Rida, Heidi Montag, Davie Guetta and Kelly Rowland will perform during the pageant, which contestants from 80 countries compete in three categories: swimsuit, evening gown and one that involves having a brain: the interview.

There are likely to be more than an hour's worth of stories his correspondents and former colleagues will want to tell about Don Hewitt, the network news pioneer who helped create the show that tonight salutes him, "60 Minutes" (CBS, 7 p.m.). Hweitt died Wednesday at the age of 86.

Betty gets a visit from her father and Roger makes arrangements for a wedding on a new episode of "Mad Men" (AMC, 10 p.m.), which broke records in its third season return last week, boasting 4 million cumulative viewers in its three showings.

Patton Oswalt stars in a new standup comedy special, "My Weakness is Strong" (Comedy Central 10 p.m.).

Finales come for the 10th anniversary return of "Who Wants to be A Millionaire" (ABC, 8 p.m.) and the summer import "Merlin" (NBC, 7 p.m.).

http://blogs.courant.com/roger_catlin_tv_eye/
post #40151 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The latest estimate from SNL Kagasn Research was that Versus was getting about 29 cents per sub per month. I understand the channel is trying to raise that to something more than 50 cents per month with its proposed new DirecTV deal. I have no direct knowledge of how much DirecTV is now paying. I would assume it is around 29 cents per month per subscriber,

Generally RSNs get upwards of $2 per month per sub.

Here are some other current estimates of average monthly per sub payments from providers to sports content networks (all from Kagan) :

ESPN: $4.09 (2010: $4.58, 2011: $5.08)
RSNs: $0.20 to $2.15
TNT: $0.96
NFL Network: $0.56
NHL Network: $0.54
Big Ten Network: $0.40
Golf Channel: $0.26
MLB Network: $0.24
Speed: $0.19
ESPN Classic: $0.17
ESPN News: $0.16

Some other general interest channel sub fees:

USA: $0.55
TBS: $0.47
Discovery: $0.35
A&E: $0.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1 View Post

fred any information on how much D* is paying for VS now ?

After reading the director of public relations for DirecTV quote yesterday if sounds like VS is asking for a large increase ,I'm curious as to what they charge now and what they are asking for .

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,4477246.story

post #40152 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
Sunday Network Prime-Time Programming Options

(All shows are in HD unless noted as being in Standard Definition: SD)

(Reminder: If you are recording these programs, check your network listings for precise start/end times. For PBS, please double check your local listings.)

ABC:
7 America's Funniest Home Videos (R, March 22) SD
8 Who Wants to Be a Millionaire SD
9 Shark Tank SD
10 Defying Gravity

CBS:
7 60 Minutes: Tribute to Don Hewitt
8 Big Brother 11 SD
9 There Goes The Neighborhood
SD
10 Cold Case (R, March 29)

Fox:
Til Death (R, May 14, 2008)
7:30 American Dad (R, February 11, 2007)
SD
8 The Simpsons (R, April 5)
8 :30 The Simpsons (R, April 19)
9 Family Guy (April 26)
SD
9:30 American Dad (R, November 5, 2006)
SD

NBC:
7 Merlin
8 Merlin
9 Miss Universe 2009 Pageant

PBS
8 Nature: Sharkland (R, May 126, 2007)
9 Masterpiece Mystery! Inspector Lewis, Series 1: Expiation (R, July 6, 2008)

CW:
6:30 Reaper (R, May 6)
7:30 Sunday Movie: The Silence of the Lambs (two and a half hours, 1998)
post #40153 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 08:44 AM

Liked: 11
I am stunned at how much ESPN charges per sub, compared to everything else in my cable lineup. I'm a sports fan and since the FoodNetwork-HD went from a "real", exclusive HD channel to a mostly stretched simulcast, the Bristol behemoth has become the "default" TV channel in my home. But if I weren't interested in sports or if ESPN was only an occasional visit, I'd be concerned, if not downright alarmed, at how gigantic a chunk of my total monthly cable bill goes just to feed the ESPN beast. Heck, I'm still concerned.
post #40154 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

The latest estimate from SNL Kagasn Research was that Versus was getting about 29 cents per sub per month. I understand the channel is trying to raise that to something more than 50 cents per month with its proposed new DirecTV deal. I have no direct knowledge of how much DirecTV is now paying. I would assume it is around 29 cents per month per subscriber,

Generally RSNs get upwards of $2 per month per sub.

Here are some other current estimates of average monthly per sub payments from providers to sports content networks (all from Kagan) :

ESPN: $4.09 (2010: $4.58, 2011: $5.08)
RSNs: $0.20 to $2.15
NFL Network: $0.56
NHL Network: $0.54
Big Ten Network: $0.40
Golf Channel: $0.26
MLB Network: $0.24
Speed: $0.19
ESPN Classic: $0.17
ESPN News: $0.16

Some other general interest channel sub fees:

USA: $0.55
TBS: $0.47
Discovery: $0.35
A&E: $0.25

As far as I'm concerned, they can take ALL the sports channels and move them to their own price tier. I see no reason why I should pay 5 to 20 times more for a channel I never watch then the I pay for the channels I do watch.
post #40155 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscottc View Post

As far as I'm concerned, they can take ALL the sports channels and move them to their own price tier. I see no reason why I should pay 5 to 20 times more for a channel I never watch then the I pay for the channels I do watch.

Amen, to be able to get USA I have to get ESPN. I've ranted numerous times about the collusions and cartels going on currently, and yet I'm still deprived of several channels I would sub to if they were available with any of my currently available providers.
post #40156 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 161
At $0.55 cent per subscriber USA Network is quite the bargain, especially since cable companies get to sell local ads in the middle of highly-rated original shows like "Royal Pains" and "Monk" that the network doesn't get a cut of. Guess next time there is a negotiation renewal NBC-U is going to try and get a major increase in the per-subscription price and play hardball. I mean, what cable/satellite company can afford to lose USA Network and not incur the ire of a good-sized chunk of its customer base?
post #40157 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

That has long been a complaint of mine, skipdrive -- and I watch ESPN at least for an occasional game.

But the "business model" of charging exorbitant (and ever growing) rates to peoiple who don't even watch the channel (and about two-thirds of the nation's households NEVER watch ESPN) is not only disturbing, it also has a ripple effect on all of sports as we know it.

Disney pulls in some $3.6 Billion in sub fees for ESPN alone. Consider that two-thirds of the homes never view it, that is $2.4 billion in profit from people who never use the product.

Then ESPN uses that money to pay for content -- which drives the prices up for everyone. And it uses money to start radio stations or websites in local areas, which effects those folks, too.

It is a maddening cycle, made possible by (and there is no other word for it) collusion between Disney and the cable companies.

But ESPN is just the tip of the iceberg: for example, how many people who enjoy Fox News Channel also want t pay for MSNBC? Or how many Keith Olbermann fans want to pay for FNC? How many childless couples watch Disney or MTV or Nickleodeon? How many young men watch Oxygen or Lifetime? How many women tune in to Speed or Spike? And it goes on and on and on.

Yes, it is the long-time cable network business plan but it is inherently dishonest and rips off Americans for billions and billions of dollars a year.

We can only hope that some day, some how, someone will step in and stop it.

That will probably mean higher fees for those who DO watch ESPN, but, if people spend $10-$12 a month for HBO or Showtime, $12-$15 a month for ESPN might not be all that unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive View Post

I am stunned at how much ESPN charges per sub, compared to everything else in my cable lineup. I'm a sports fan and since the FoodNetwork-HD went from a "real", exclusive HD channel to a mostly stretched simulcast, the Bristol behemoth has become the "default" TV channel in my home. But if I weren't interested in sports or if ESPN was only an occasional visit, I'd be concerned, if not downright alarmed, at how gigantic a chunk of my total monthly cable bill goes just to feed the ESPN beast. Heck, I'm still concerned.

post #40158 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It may seem that way, but what about all the tens of millions of cable/telco/satellite subscriberswho never watch USA?

It is no bargain to them.

For every "bargain" I find on the list, the same channel is a ripoff to far, far more people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

At $0.55 cent per subscriber USA Network is quite the bargain, especially since cable companies get to sell local ads in the middle of highly-rated original shows like "Royal Pains" and "Monk" that the network doesn't get a cut of. Guess next time there is a negotiation renewal NBC-U is going to try and get a major increase in the per-subscription price and play hardball. I mean, what cable/satellite company can afford to lose USA Network and not incur the ire of a good-sized chunk of its customer base?

post #40159 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
Some Sunday Cable Prime-Time Options

(All times Eastern)

(All shows are in HD unless noted as being in Standard Definition: SD)

A&E
8 CSI: Miami (R)
9 CSI: Miami (R)
10 CSI: Miami (R)
AMC
7:30 Movie: Firewall (2005, two and a half hours)

Animal Planet
7 Wild Kingdom: Red-Faced Uakari Monkey (R)
8 Monsters Inside Me: Sleeper Cells (R)
9 Untamed & Uncut: Beastly Headaches
10 Whale Wars: Overlooking a Forlorn Shore (R)

BBC America
7 You Are What You Eat (R)
8 The Pink Panther Strikes Again Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom, Colin Blakely Directed by: Blake Edwards
(1976)
10 Love Me

Bio
7 Dead Men Talking: Cold Case Files: Caught on Tape; A Son Remembers (R)
8 I Survived: Jackie; Todd; Stephanie (R)
9 I Survived: Timothy; Scott & Sean; Stacey
10 My Rescue
11 Investoigators: Finding Amy (R)

Bravo
6 Law & Order: Criminal Intent (R)
7 Law & Order: Criminal Intent (R)
8 Law & Order: Criminal Intent (R)
9 Law & Order: Criminal Intent (R)
10 Law & Order: Criminal Intent (R)
11 Law & Order: Criminal Intent (R)

CBSC
9 ASA Action Sports World Tour: Cincinnati

Discovery
7 Planet Earth: Ice Worlds (R)
8 Planet Earth: Pole to Pole (R)
9 Planet Earth: Shallow Seas (R)
10 Planet Earth: Deserts (R)

ESPN
7 Baseball Tonight
8 MLB: New York Yankees at Boston

ESPN2
7 Little League Baseball: World Series, Pool Play: Chula Vista (Calif.) vs. Peabody
9 Little League Baseball: World Series, Pool Play: Curacao vs. Japan

G4
9:30 2 Months $2 Million

HBO
9 True Blood
10 Hung
10:30 Entourage

HDNet
6:30 Hootie & the Blowfish: L ive in Charleston (R)
8 The 2005 Jammys Live (R)
10:05 Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals in concert from Toronto (R)

HDNet Movies
5:05 City Slickers PG-13 - 1991 - Billy Crystal, Daniel Stern, Bruno Kirby Director: Ron Underwood In an attempt to get through their mid-life-crises, three New York city men go on a week-long excursion to participate in an old-fashioned cattle drive.
7 A Fistful of Dollars R - 1964 - Clint Eastwood, Gian Maria Volonte, Marianne Koch Director: Sergio Leone A lone gunslinger wanders into a small frontier town and becomes a mercenary between two feuding families.
8:45 For a Few Dollars More R - 1965 - Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Gian Maria Volonte Director: Sergio Leone After teaming up with a shady gunslinger to find a man and collect a bounty, the Man with No Name begins to realize his partner may have devious intentions.
11 Once Upon a Time in the West PG-13 - 1968 - Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards Director: Sergio Leone Sergio Leone's epic western about a desperado and a mysterious stranger hired by a widow to find the assassin who killed her husband.

Lifetime
9 Drop Dead Diva
10 Army Wives

MGM HD
5:10 Farewell To the King A World War II deserter becomes king of Borneo's headhunters, drawing him into warfare against the Japanese. Nick Nolte, Nigel Havers, Frank McRae Directed By: John Milius 117min., Rated PG-13 (1989)
7:15 Ronin An Irish ringleader (Natascha McElhone) organizes an international team of hired guns (Robert De Niro, Jean Reno) to retrieve a briefcase from criminals. Directed By: John Frankenheimer 118min., Rated R (1998)
9:30 Cotton Comes to Harlem Detectives Coffin (Raymond St. Jacques) and Gravedigger (Godfrey Cambridge) question a con-man preacher (Calvin Lockhart) and his back-to-Africa movement. Directed By: Ossie Davis 97min., Rated R (1970)
11:20 No Man’s Land A Los Angeles policeman (Randy Quaid) puts an undercover deputy (D.B. Sweeney) in a slick car thief's (Charlie Sheen) hot Porsche ``chop shop.'' Directed By: Peter Werner 106min., Rated R (1987)

NGC
7 Aftermath: Population Zero: Envisioning what Earth would be like if all 6.6 billion humans suddenly disappeared (R, two hours)
9 Alien Earths: The strange reality of new worlds discovered beyond our solar system.
10 Naked Science: Hawking's Universe

Speed
7 SPEED Report
8 NASCAR Victory Lane: Bristol
9 Wind Tunnel With Dave Despain

TLC
8 My Shocking Story: World's Tallest Giants
9 My Shocking Story: Human Spiders The daily lives of three sets of conjoined twins reveal difficulties they endure.
World’s Tallest Children (R)

Versus
5 IndyCar Racing: Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma From Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif.
post #40160 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

That has long been a complaint of mine, skipdrive -- and I watch ESPN at least for an occasional game.

But the "business model" of charging exorbitant (and ever growing) rates to peoiple who don't even watch the channel (and about two-thirds of the nation's households NEVER watch ESPN) is not only disturbing, it also has a ripple effect on all of sports as we know it.

Disney pulls in some $3.6 Billion oin sub fees for ESPN alone. Consider that two-thirds of the homes never view it, that is $2.4 billion in profit from peoplke who never use the proiduct.

The amount of the yearly increases for ESPN is enough to make your heart stop, 50¢ per year for the next 2 years, that's outrageous, there's dozens of channels out there that would kill just to get 50¢ per subscriber period.

At that cost to the subscriber they should have a far more balanced approach to what sports and regions they show, but they don't, apparently the west coast doesn't exist in the ESPN world, and their unabashed self-promotion of sports they broadcast on their "news" programs is pathetically transparent.
post #40161 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Saturday’s fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings (which include the total viewers and 18-49 demographic estimates in every half hour) have been posted near the top of Ratings News -- the second post in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10367387
post #40162 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

That will probably mean higher fees for those who DO watch ESPN, but, if people spend $10-$12 a month for HBO or Showtime, $12-$15 a month for ESPN might not be all that unreasonable.

Eh, would that happen? Even if/when a la carte does arrive, it will be elective and all existing bundling packages will almost surely remain. Only those well enough informed about the cost of ESPN might consider opting out of a bundling package like exists now and into a la carte just to avoid ESPN. So presently ESPN reaches some 90 million homes. How many would it lose? One million? Two million? I'd be incredibly shocked if any more than that opted out, and in the grand scheme that's just peanuts.

But, even still, besides consumers who would have an interest in promoting the fact that dropping ESPN could save subscribers a significant amount of money? Getting the word out would be like opening Pandora's box.
post #40163 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Fall 2009 Recording Schedule -- as seen by a DirecTV subscriber

We (the wife & I) record so many shows (on the big plasma attached to the DirecTV HR21-200) that we'd easily overflow the 50-item limit D* has imposed on Series Links. Therefore we use compound Series Links based on complex Boolean searches (minding the arbitrary 50-character limit on search expressions) to greatly reduce the item count. Note that each of these Autorecords is qualified with & Show Types, Series and First Run Only.

The following lists for the 4 major broadcast networks include many new shows. We'll undoubtedly drop some of those after the first few episodes. The lists also include shows starting in midseason.

••• ABC

• Better Off Ted
• Castle
• Cougar Town [new]
• Desperate Housewives
• Eastwick [new]
• FlashForward [new]
• Forgotten, The [new]
• Hank [new]
• Lost
• Middle, The [new]
• Modern Family [new]
• V [new]

AANY Cougar Desperate Eastwick TTITLE CCHAN 5
AANY FlashForward Forgotten Hank TTITLE CCHAN 5
AANY Lost Middle Modern Ted V TTITLE CCHAN 5

••• CBS

• Big Bang Theory
• Cold Case
• Criminal Minds
• CSI
• CSI: Miami
• CSI: NY
• Flashpoint
• Ghost Whisperer
• Medium [new to CBS]
• Mentalist, The
• Miami Trauma [new]
• NCIS
• NCIS: Los Angeles [new]
• Numb3rs
• 60 Minutes
• Three Rivers [new]
• Two and a Half Men

AANY Bang Cold CSI Flashpoint Ghost TTITLE CCHAN 4
AANY Half Medium Mentalist Minds 60 TTITLE CCHAN 4
AANY NCIS Numb3rs Rivers Trauma TTITLE CCHAN 4

••• Fox

• Bones
• Dollhouse
• Fringe
• House
• Human Target [new]
• Lie to Me
• Simpsons, The

AANY Bones Dollhouse Fringe House TTITLE CCHAN 9
AANY Human Lie 24 TTITLE CCHAN 9

••• NBC

• 30 Rock
• Chris Matthews Show, The
• Chuck
• Community [new]
• Day One [new]
• Heroes
• Jay Leno
• Law & Order
• Law & Order: SVU [repeats Saturday]
• Mercy [new] -- not included below
• Office, The
• Parenthood [new]
• SNL Weekend Update Thursday
• Trauma [new] [repeats Saturday]

AANY Chuck Heroes One Parenthood TTITLE CCHAN 11
AANY Chris Office 30 Law NNOT SVU TTITLE CCHAN 11
AANY Community Leno SNL SVU Trauma TTITLE CCHAN 11 (low priority)

Because of conflicts, a few programs will have to be recorded on the HR10-250, attached to a smaller HDTV: Accidentally on Purpose (CBS), The Good Wife (CBS) and Castle (ABC).

I should mention some must-see shows on less-crowded networks, such as:

• Daily Show With Jon Stewart NNOT slant CCHAN 249 -- this helps to avoid the recording of repeats
• Closer, The (245 TNTHD)
• In Plain Sight (242 USAHD)
• Law & Order: Criminal Intent (242 USAHD) -- repeated many times the same week on USA, and on NBC 2 weeks later
Men of Little Importance (coming on TNTHD) -- Scott Bakula, Andre Braugher, Ray Romano
• Monk (242 USAHD) -- its last season
• Raising the Bar (245 TNTHD)
• Rescue Me (248 FXHD)
• Smallville (23 WUCW)
• Stargate Universe (244 Syfy)

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #40164 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Eh, would that happen? Even if/when a la carte does arrive, it will be elective and all existing bundling packages will almost surely remain. Only those well enough informed about the cost of ESPN might consider opting out of a bundling package like exists now and into a la carte just to avoid ESPN. So presently ESPN reaches some 90 million homes. How many would it lose? One million? Two million? I'd be incredibly shocked if any more than that opted out, and in the grand scheme that's just peanuts.

But, even still, besides consumers who would have an interest in promoting the fact that dropping ESPN could save subscribers a significant amount of money? Getting the word out would be like opening Pandora's box.

I suspect that a lot more than 1 or 2 million would drop ESPN, I kind of like the Canadian satellite pkg pricing, I haven't studied it, but it would be nice to have a package of this type programming vs that type programming, but from what I remember it seemed to still have a lot of redundancies in the packages. Mainly I would like to see the actual users of the programming in the position to decide who specifically gets the money instead of this ever increasing big pool of providers we're all supporting now.
post #40165 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

While growing up in the 1970s we were at the center of activity in San Diego for the debate about pay television. The pro side had support of our NBC affiliate KOGO Channel 10 then owned by Time Life (later became KGTV an ABC affiliate owned by McGraw-Hill) and the opposition had support of KFMB Channel 8 the CBS affiliate still owned by Midwest Television. A filed lawsuit successfully prohibited albeit only temporarily the expansion of Channel 100 one of the first pay channels in the country and Mission Cable (now Cox) the largest cable system at the time. I remember watching an 8 news reporter walking up to a set-top box holding a dollar bill and telling us viewers this could be the end of television as we know it. We could end up paying for every show we watch. There could be no more free TV.

With NBC Universal executives decrying the broadcast business saying the cable TV business is superior with its dual revenue stream (advertising and subscription fees) and cable executives having previously said once billing software is robust enough subscribers will be moved to a measured service I can't help but believe that reporter from way back when may be right.
post #40166 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Assumming 50-60 million homes never watch ESPN, you think only one or two m illion would drop the ESPN channels to save %4+ a month? I suspect m,any m,ore would.

And if mandatory basic contracts were made illegal, then the providers would have to come up with new ways to get folks to spend an ever escalating amount of $$$.

It would change the ball game entirely.

And people wouldn't just be dropping ESPN, they would be opting out of all the channels they don't watch.

With reputable surveys showing entire households only watch 15-18 channels in a month, that would mean an awful lot of opting out.

And how high could those channels raise their prices (to keep income up) before reaching a point where casual viewers decided the price isn't worth it?

And surely, to drive growth, some provider, Dish or FiOs or UVerse would begin offering packages at a discount, as a loss leader, to encourage subscribers to sign on.

Competition would be a wonderful thing for consumers, who actually have almost no choice now.

In effect, make everything a premium channel and let the fittest survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

post #40167 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Could be, but why should those who like,m for example, sports, get an essentially free ride on the backs of people who don't?

And with cable/sat/telco bills in the $80 range, who is getting the free ride?

The only free ride has been to the cable providers who until very recently paid nothing for carrying local stations. The satellite and telcos have paid for local carriage from the get-go. Yet have you noticed cable bills being cheaper than satellite or telco?

And the NBU execs are talking about today's forced dual revenue stream -- where they get paid for their cable channels whether people watch them or not. The landscape will change dramatically if people are forced to choose which channels they want to pay for.

In this incredibly litigious society, I am stunned someone hasn't sued Disney and NBCU for their anticompetitive and abusive (to consumers) contracts with providers, which force viewers to pay for channels whether they want them or not, simply to get "basic" cable/sat/telco service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgooch View Post

While growing up in the 1970s we were at the center of activity in San Diego for the debate about pay television. The pro side had support of our NBC affiliate KOGO Channel 10 then owned by Time Life (later became KGTV an ABC affiliate owned by McGraw-Hill) and the opposition had support of KFMB Channel 8 the CBS affiliate still owned by Midwest Television. A filed lawsuit successfully prohibited albeit only temporarily the expansion of Channel 100 one of the first pay channels in the country and Mission Cable (now Cox) the largest cable system at the time. I remember watching an 8 news reporter walking up to a set-top box holding a dollar bill and telling us viewers this could be the end of television as we know it. We could end up paying for every show we watch. There could be no more free TV.

With NBC Universal executives decrying the broadcast business saying the cable TV business is superior with its dual revenue stream (advertising and subscription fees) and cable executives having previously said once billing software is robust enough subscribers will be moved to a measured service I can't help but believe that reporter from way back when may be right.

post #40168 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Some would say people who watch terrestrial broadcast television and do not subscribe to cable/sat/telco pay-TV service.

Isn't collegiate football migrating to cable and regional sports networks exclusively? And if the NFL has their way ultimately there would be no free game telecasts of their league. Would that be fair to tax payers supporting public universities and municipal football stadiums?

Local affiliates are getting hammered in the multichannel environment and their audience share will only continue downward especially if the likes of NBC execs act on their belief the broadcast model is inferior.

I'm not opposed to Ã* la cart. I just hope it is not at the expense of a robust over the air free television option. I'm afraid over the air free TV is going to end up becoming "all infommercials all the time" or shopping networks.
post #40169 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

If people had to actually decide to pay for the networks they watched, pro and college sports teams might not be quite so quick to desert OTA TV.

Fox was outbid for the BCS by ESPN, because ESPN can basically bid whatever it has to and then simply raise rates. There is no business reason for ESPN not to outbid the old, OTA networks. There is simply no downside.

But if people had a choice about whether to pay for ESPN or their RSN, etc, the world would change.
post #40170 of 95743 Old 08-23-2009, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been wondering what the landscape would look like under ala carte. Here's some thoughts. Far fewer channels. Multiple content packaged into channels so as to provide a lure for people to pay a few bucks to subscribe. A lot of us watch a couple of programs on each of TNT, USA, AMC and FX. All those series that are popular could probably be easily put on one channel. While the net sub fees might fall, costs would be less and advertising revenue higher.

In the end though, we consumers will probably paying as much or more.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page