Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

post #42871 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Amazingly, the Los Angeles area PBS station doesn't carry "This Old House".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

This is the start of the new season in case any one was wondering when it was starting up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42872 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw some clips for an upcoming BBC production called "Occupation" set to air 10/18. Looked and sounded REALLY interesting (3 British soldiers in Basra), but not a peep on BBC-A's website!

Here's a press release:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...cupation.shtml

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #42873 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 AM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Got my weekly email from Indy Car reminding that this weekend is the championship finale and I should be sure and watch on Versus.

Nelsonesque: "Ha ha"

Except for you and every other D* customer.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #42874 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 10:54 AM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Not sure how on topic this is, but did anybody watch Wednesday's edition of Countdown, where Keith Olbermann dedicated the entire hour to a Special Comment on health care reform?

I can't stand to watch his doughy face on Football Night In America. Does he normally just have unspecial comments?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #42875 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Hey, we had MAJOR glitch issues last night with the baseball playoffs in NYC. Most of the comments in our local thread revolved around the Yankee/Twins game, but a few posted issues with other market game, again on TBS.

What about outside NYC? What I observed was a second of lost audio, 3-4-5 seconds of video freeze, audio restored, then video. About one such glitch every five minutes or less.

According to the TBSHD national thread, there were some problems, however none seemed as bad as what we experienced in NY with TW.
Here's a link to the national thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17320229

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #42876 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

I can't stand to watch his doughy face on Football Night In America. Does he normally just have unspecial comments?

Too funny

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #42877 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Well, I cant believe it, but I'm approaching my 10 year anniversary as a member of AVS Forum. Sorry if i sound self-indugent, but I'd like to say a few words.

What all started as a place where I could find help with my CRT front projector, turned into a place where I could find HT information, and meet many wonderful fellow enthusiasts.

Over the last few years that 150 pound 3 gun projector that needed custom timings from a computer; has been replaced with a much more reliable (and inexpensive) 10 pound LCD shoebox.

Over time I found myself spending most of my time in the fine HOTP thread Fred and others created. So, it's in this thread I thought I'd place my 10 year post, I hope I'll be around to discuss and debate with you all for 10 more.

ej

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #42878 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

Well, I cant believe it, but I'm approaching my 10 year anniversary as a member of AVS Forum. Sorry if i sound self-indugent, but I'd like to say a few words.

What all started as a place where I could find help with my CRT front projector, turned into a place where I could find HT information, and meet many wonderful fellow enthusiasts.

Over the last few years that 150 pound 3 gun projector that needed custom timings from a computer; has been replaced with a much more reliable (and inexpensive) 10 pound LCD shoebox.

Over time I found myself spending most of my time in the fine HOTP thread Fred and others created. So, it's in this thread I thought I'd place my 10 year post, I hope I'll be around to discuss and debate with you all for 10 more.

ej

I have been here a while myself and found out about this board by a local CBS tech when I was having trouble in the early days with HD and reception problems. This has been a great site to say the least and like you I will celebrate my 5k post in this thread which is not that far away.

Do you remember Monday night football being the only thing in HD?
post #42879 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Thanks, EJ! (And thanks to steverobertson, too.) Your comments are much appreciated.

Quote:

ej

post #42880 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Sports
Twins/Yankees leads the way in the ratings

From sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com, Oct. 8, 2009

The Yankees' return to the MLB postseason singlehandedly gave TBS a double-digit boost in the ratings on Wednesday.

Game 1 of the Twins/Yankees ALDS drew a 5.0 overnight rating on TBS Wednesday evening, up 19% from a 4.2 for Dodgers/Cubs Game 1 in a similar timeslot last year. The Yankees' comfortable win drew a 13.4 rating in New York and a 21.6 in Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Twins/Yankees was the only game of the day to have an increase in overnight ratings.

Earlier in the day, Rockies/Phillies Game 1 drew a 2.2 overnight rating, even with Brewers/Phillies Game 1 in a similiar timeslot last year. The game drew a 15.9 rating in Philadelphia, and a 5.9 in Denver.

The nightcap, Cardinals/Dodgers Game 1, drew a 3.8 overnight -- even with Red Sox/Angels Game 1 last year. The Dodgers' win drew a 9.6 rating in Los Angeles, and a 20.0 in St. Louis.

Overall, TBS averaged a 3.8 overnight rating for its MLB playoff tripleheader on Wednesday, up 12% from a 3.4 last year.

Source: Sports Business Daily

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/
post #42881 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I don't remember when I joined this forum, I was looking for advise on some HDTV configuration and HOTP is my favorite thread!...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #42882 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 11:40 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

I have been here a while myself and found out about this board by a local CBS tech when I was having trouble in the early days with HD and reception problems. This has been a great site to say the least and like you I will celebrate my 5k post in this thread which is not that far away.

Do you remember Monday night football being the only thing in HD?

I remember MNF having separate HD announcers and 1 HD camera up in the nose bleed seats.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #42883 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:

ej

WOW! 10 years already. Is that when AVS first started?

I joined for help with HD and HT too. But I didn't join until 2001 when I first started watching and recording HD content. I still remember how I felt in fall 2001 watching ALIAS, PHILLY, CSI, and other shows in HD.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #42884 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I remember MNF having separate HD announcers and 1 HD camera up in the nose bleed seats.

I forgot about that you have a good memory
post #42885 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Nielsen Notes
Week 2: O'Brien tops Letterman despite scandal
From The Hollywood Reporter LiveFeed blog, Oct. 8, 2009

For the second week of the official broadcast season, NBC's "Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" edged out CBS' "Late Show with David Letterman" in the adult demo,

"Tonight (2.7 million, 1.1 adults 18-49 rating) beat "Late Show" (4.4 million, 1.0) by a mere tenth, though lost by a fair margin among total viewers.

Letterman topped O'Brien on both counts during the first week of the season when he was bolstered by appearances by president Barack Obama and former pres Bill Clinton. The extortion scandal helped Letterman's numbers late last week, though not enough to stay in the lead on both measures.

http://www.thrfeed.com/
post #42886 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

DVD Notes
'Ally McBeal' series is back -- on DVD
All five seasons are available now, and creator David Kelley reminisces about the making of the popular TV show.

By Susan King, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer, October 8, 2009

After the gavel came down on Fox's legal comedy series "Ally McBeal" in 2002, the Emmy Award-winning show didn't go into rerun heaven. And only the first season even saw the light of day on DVD.

But now "Ally McBeal" is back. The entire five seasons of the series revolving around a quirky Boston trial attorney (Calista Flockhart), who had a rich fantasy life and a penchant for miniskirts, arrived in a DVD set Tuesday from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. The set also features several featurettes, a retrospective and the "Best of Ally McBeal" soundtrack featuring the show's Vonda Shepard.

Series creator David E. Kelley says the reason for the DVD delay was the same problem that in the past has delayed the release of other series, such as "thirtysomething" and "WKRP in Cincinnati": music rights.

"All our licensing wasn't in perpetuity," he says. "It just created a huge thicket of problems."

"Ally McBeal" became an instant water-cooler show after its premiere on Fox on Sept. 8, 1997, due to Kelley's deft way of mixing comedy, drama, music and fantasy -- including Ally's frequent sightings of an imaginary dancing baby.

"One of the genesis ideas of the series was a character we saw inside and outside -- and the two behaviors may not always reconcile," Kelley says.

"Internally, she feels and thinks about things in a different way. I needed the voice-over and the fantasy sequences because I always wanted it to be more visual than other series I had been on. Almost all of my series had been character-based, with people talking and talking and more talking. I really wanted a series that was more visual, where I could tell some of the story with the cameras as well as words. So the fantasy sequences became a staple right away."

Kelley was already a veteran of "L.A. Law," "Doogie Howser, M.D.," "Picket Fences," "Chicago Hope" and had started working on "The Practice" when then-Fox President Peter Roth asked him to do a series for the network. "I was doing 'The Practice' at ABC at the time and I didn't want to take on another show at the same time," Kelley recalls, "but he was persuasive and emphatic and convinced me to do this."

Besides Flockhart, the show also starred Gil Bellows as Billy, her former lover who is the star litigator at the Boston law firm of Cage/Fish & Associates; Courtney Thorne-Smith as Billy's wife and co-worker; Greg Germann and Peter MacNicol as the firm's lead partners; and Jane Krakowski as Ally's nosy assistant.

Bellows, who stayed with the series three seasons, says there was a "creative alchemy" on the show that was magical. "The quality of the writing and the crew, the team that made it work behind the cameras and the actors and guest stars -- everybody seemed to be really talented and doing wonderful work."

Kelley's confidence in his vision, says Bellows, made working on the show "really liberating for us performers to do our job. There was always excitement when the week's script came. In a way, what David did was, he created a mold and broke one simultaneously."

Shepard appeared in almost every episode singing tunes in the firm's favorite bar that seemed to reflect that week's story line.

Shepard was a struggling New York musician when cast. She also happened to be a longtime friend of Kelley's wife, actress Michelle Pfeiffer.

Kelley recalls going to see Shepard in concert with Pfeiffer while writing the pilot.

"She did a song, 'Wildest Times of the World,' and when she was singing it, it just hit me that this woman and this voice was it -- the musical voice of Ally."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,5575315.story
post #42887 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Critic's Notes
Could "The Jay Leno Show" air at 10:30?
By Verne Gay, Newsday - October 7th, 2009

Wouldnt it really be 10:35 then ? or would the news just blow off that 5 minutes that they do now.

post #42888 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
How Damaged Is Dave?
10 Top TV Critics Tell

By Josef Adalian, TheWrap.com

What's next for Dave?

That's the question of the moment in TV circles these days. Conversations usually dominated by talk of ratings and new fall series now inevitably end up focusing on the future of CBS "Late Show" host David Letterman.

Letterman has now tackled news of his sexual dalliances head-on in two extraordinary on-air explanations. He's won raves from critics, most of who have spent the last 25 years worshipping at the altar of Letterman. And his ratings, so far at least, have remained high.

There's a case to be made that the Letterman story should now wind down -- unless or until Letterman's extortionist, Joe Halderman, is brought to trial.

And yet, this is the era of neverending, non-stop media coverage of events. Never mind a Michael Jackson death, these days even minor stories can spawn weeks of play on the Internet and in the tabloids.

To try to figure out where Davegate goes next, TheWrap solicited the help of 10 of the nation's top TV critics and media reporters.

Our questions: Do you think the Letterman scandal will go away now? Is the media being too tough on Dave -- or too easy? And how should Letterman proceed next?

Maureen Ryan, Chicago Tribune

I don't think this goes away at all. In fact, given what Joe Halderman's lawyer has been saying the last few days, I foresee this becoming an ongoing spectacle, which very well could result in weeks or months of tabloid scrutiny.

If he continues to make jokes about the situation, he runs the risk of trivializing it and making it seem as though he just doesn't care. And that's a problem, given that possible or actual sexual harassment are not laughing matters. Yet if he clams up about it, he may come off as defensive.

In the long run, I think he's probably best served by doing a news interview on another program and supplying a more satisfying timeline of what happened when.

The bigger question to me is one that was implicit in a recent Nancy Franklin New Yorker review of Jay Leno.

Franklin pointed out that Leno, Letterman and Conan O'Brien have a grand total of zero female writers on their staffs. I'm not looking forward to wall-to-wall tabloid coverage of Dave, but I am looking forward to the articles that research and expose the boys clubs of late-night TV and explore what kinds of work environments they create.

James Poniewozik, Time

This situation is too volatile to predict, but my guess is: If (big if) no big shoes drop, Letterman comes out of this fine.

First, people don't like to deny themselves entertainment to punish celebrities; a star usually has to get in ugly-big trouble to destroy his career. My sense so far is that even people who disapprove don't finally think it's much of their business. (Whereas, say, the people still outraged over the Palin jokes see this as vindication -- but they were not exactly his fan base.)

Part of the issue is: Stars suffer most from scandals when those scandals contradict their core personae. (Kids' star caught in porn theater, e.g.) Dave was always distant about his personal life. His persona was the cranky jerk -- a lovable cranky jerk, maybe, but a jerk nonetheless. (I say this as a longtime fan.) Sleeping with the staff doesn't (mesh with) that.

Maybe this kind of scandal would have hurt Leno more. Leno, unlike Dave, is the guy who always trots out the line, "I still drive the same car, I'm still married to the same woman."

Leno is the guy next door. Letterman is the neighbor who, if you trespass on his property, will call the cops.

Kate O'Hare, Tribune Media Services and Zap2It.com

As someone who hasn't watched Letterman's show in years -- and only saw it a few times back when I did tune in -- I really don't have a dog in the fight as to what happens to him, other than being reaffirmed in my avoidance of the show.

The whole affair makes me queasy, both Letterman's escapades and the allegations against the "48 Hours" producer, but I understand the media fascination. Honestly, you couldn't make this stuff up except in a primetime crime potboiler, and even then the critics would carp that you went too far.

While I'm no mind-reader, I don't interpret Letterman's on-screen confessions as brave or heroic; they just look like a self-absorbed man looking to get out in front of a tsunami before it squashes him flat. As with all legal cases, we have to wait until all the facts have come out, but it seems obvious that Letterman has deep issues in his personal life and feels compelled, for whatever reason, to share with the world.

Verne Gay, New York Newsday

Do you think this goes away? There's a few ifs here.

If CBS launches an investigation -- a reasonable possibility because a CBS News employee is involved -- then it assumes a whole new life. If there's a trial, then it assumes totally insane proportions, damaging to CBS and Letterman.

If someone else comes forward, say an aggrieved former employee, then that's another week or two of headlines in the Post, but worse, the possibility of some of sort of civil suit, too.

But ... one last if ... if none of this happens, then I believe it goes away. Letterman figures out a way to absorb it into his act, and he's fine.

My free advice? That's an easy one. Avoid a trial at all costs. Set aside whatever grievances you may feel, and whatever revenge you may seek, and whatever wrongs have been done against you. And remember -- the truly aggrieved party here is your wife; your suffering is merely the consequence of your reckless actions.

Matt Roush, TV Guide

I doubt the media, especially the celeb/tabloid vultures, will let go of the story anytime soon, and who knows what will happen as the legal entanglements continue to unfold. He's an irresistible story right now, and he owns the watercooler.

All of this is undeniably creepy, but Dave's the first to say so, which is the genius part (if there is any) in all of this. As long as he continues to make himself the butt of any jokes he tells in this ongoing "What kind of jerk am I?" narrative, that's what his fans expect, and they'll no doubt eat it up. The tricky part is how to continue without either belaboring the issue or altogether ignoring it.

If the story develops horrific new wrinkles (Dave already has plenty), that's another matter.

It could be worse. We could be hammering the show for being a complete waste of time. Letterman can at least rest easy that he isn't stuck in a dead-end cocoon of horror (one of my fave quotes from "Glee" this season) ... like "The Jay Leno Show."

Ellen Gray, Philadelphia Daily News

If we're lucky, what's next for Dave is doing the show, making up with his wife and keeping his mouth shut. Unless someone comes forward pretty quickly with a plausible story of sexual harassment, I'm thinking we're talking stuff that happened between consenting adults, one of whom clearly doesn't get out much.

And I'm really hoping to be spared any further details.

As for the coverage, I think it's been largely sympathetic, which is no surprise. Critics like Dave. He's funny, and he treats us like the pariahs we secretly know ourselves to be.

Plus, he made most of our editors happy this past week. Why wouldn't we take his side against a cheesy blackmailer from one of the worst news magazines on television?

Ken Tucker, Entertainment Weekly

I would never presume to offer Letterman advice, but he seems to be handling it very well. I'd bet we can assume he'll make no more serious comments about the state of his marriage (note I said "serious").

What I fear is that he'll shy away from the post-monologue, at-the-desk stories he's been telling about his life as a dad with Harry, and in general, letting us hear what he's thinking about/is crabby about/is giving him pleasure.

That's the stuff that always makes his show the most valuable, and for a guarded man like him to become more guarded ... well, a lot would be lost.

I wish him all the best.

Adam Buckman, TV Howl

This story will continue to grab the attention of the media for as long as this extortion case remains alive -- and that could be a very long time. There may be some periods of quiet ... (but) this is a tabloid story. And the tabloids -- from the New York Post and Daily News to the supermarket tabs to TMZ -- will cling to this like a hungry dog sinking its teeth into a raw beefsteak. So will at least some of the other late-night hosts.

And never mind the details that will inevitably be revealed at trial. With Letterman claiming plural female conquests on his "Late Show" staff, these women will not stay anonymous for that long. The unearthing of each one will be Page 1 news.

Meanwhile, what about "Late Show"? Well, that's a big problem. Letterman himself is apparently facing a real domestic crisis on the homefront. Who knows if that will prove so distracting that he'll seek some extended time off or, in the most extreme scenario, call it quits completely (though that doesn't seem probable since Letterman seems to be loyal enough to the people who work for him that he would not likely leave them jobless).

Rick Porter, Zap2It.com

I'm not sure it will really go away, at least not while Halderman's lawyer keeps doing press and promising to drag Dave through the mud. Part of me wonders if Letterman himself might refuse to let it die, in the same way that he does with jokes that don't land.

So far I think he's done a pretty decent job at staying out in front of this, and his own inclination for self-mockery certainly helps. If I were him, I'd be making sure that I didn't have workplace issues to worry about and keeping the jokes about myself to a reasonable minimum -- and really working hard to get back in my wife's good graces.

As for the media coverage, I'm really kind of hoping the celeb outlets lose interest soon. If, as seems to be the case so far, this wasn't much more than consenting adults having sex, I really don't care.

Eric Deggans, St. Petersburg (Fla.) Times

The story won't go away soon because there's too many reasons for others to keep it alive. Given that Letterman is so private about his offscreen life, it's a window into his deepest secrets that the news outlets relish.

The lawyer of the accused blackmailer will also keep the story alive, I think, because it reminds Letterman of the publicity hurricane he will face if this case ever goes to trial. I'm no attorney, but it seems the blackmailer's best legal strategy right now would be to try intimidating Letterman into limiting cooperation with law enforcement or try sullying his reputation so that any testimony will be less damaging.

He has handled this incident about as well as anyone -- with two carefully handled public admissions in an environment he controls totally before the friendliest audience possible.

I think his future, however, depends on whether there are more revelations about his behavior that will make him look less like an unfortunate victim and more like a cad trying to cover serious misdeeds.

http://www.thewrap.com/article/what-...tics-tell-8380
post #42889 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Not sure how on topic this is, but did anybody watch Wednesday's edition of Countdown, where Keith Olbermann dedicated the entire hour to a Special Comment on health care reform?

I thought it was powerful stuff, and how it hit home in Keith's personal life re: his father (which explains why he's been on and off the show over the last month).

45,000, all dead because they lacked healthcare.

I hope someone was listening.
post #42890 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Nielsen Notes
Nielsen Calls Elite Client Pow-Wow To Pitch Online Measurement Wares
According to letter obtained by B&C, authentication-centric meeting set for October 16
By Claire Atkinson, Broadcating & Cable - October 8th, 2009

Nielsen on Thursday contacted 75 of its clients ranging from top advertisers, agencies and media companies to ask them to an October 16 meeting to discuss how to proceed in a possible melding of TV and online audiences, according to a letter obtained by B&C.

The letter, penned by Sara Erichson, Nielsen president, media client services, North America, invites clients to “a special client meeting in New York City to discuss ‘TV Everywhere’, ‘OnDemand Online’ and similar initiatives and their implications for television audience measurement.” Erichson notes “these initiatives are very compatible with Nielsen’s television ratings system; that is, audiences viewing television programs online could be included in Nielsen’s national TV ratings, including C3.”

The letter says the purpose of the meeting is to “discuss the work that Nielsen is doing to develop the capability to measure online video viewing in the National People Meter panel and to share our thoughts on potentially aligning that effort with these industry developments. Most importantly, the purpose of this meeting is to get your feedback and input on these plans.”

The event will take place at the Harvard Club of New York City on Friday, October 16, starting at 2.00 p.m. A spokesman for Nielsen confirmed that the letter was sent.

Nielsen is hoping to thrash out myriad issues surrounding growing online viewing at the special confab. The company hopes to begin a process which could ultimately change the future of TV ratings and industry currency.

Nielsen will outline its own plans but wants to throw open the doors so clients ranging from Procter & Gamble to Time Warner to media agencies can discuss their varying needs as online viewing grows.

Much of the industry has signaled an interest in moving to a single-source measurement system whereby a client would be able to track both TV and online video viewing of an individual and receive a single figure covering both activities.

Nielsen is expecting invitees to discuss their needs and help shape what is likely to launch a debate about a new currency for measuring video viewing in whatever form it takes place. The discussion is reminiscent of the transition to commercial ratings back in 2006.

Of course, Nielsen isn’t the only outfit attempting to answer such tricky questions. Fourteen founder members of the Coalition for Innovative Media Measurement (CIMM) which include a slew of major industry players from NBC Universal to CBS Corp., are seeking ideas from a wide range of measurement services with the aim of finding the most effective solutions for moving the industry forward. The group is expected to issue request for proposals (RFPs) in the coming weeks.

The October 8 Nielsen letter reflects Nielsen’s interest in pushing the ball down the court a little more aggressively. The company hopes to have a period of evaluation before fully implementing its plans to include internet viewing as part of its TV sample. The letter attempts to assure clients while no-one knows for sure which business models for online video will emerge as the most successful, Nielsen will be prepared to measure audiences no matter that outcome.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ment_Wares.php
post #42891 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Olbermann got a ratings boost with the one-hour special comment. He was up from the day before and up from the same day week before.
post #42892 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Amazingly, the Los Angeles area PBS station doesn't carry "This Old House".

They do not carry it period, or is it delayed until say Saturday afternoon (a lot of PBS stations do that and put This Old House, Ask This Old House, Hometime, and New Yankee Workshop in a back to back time config)

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #42893 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

They do not carry it period, or it is delayed until say Saturday afternoon (a lot of PBS stations do that and put This Old House, Ask This Old House, Hometime, and New Yankee Workshop in a back to back time config)

I was shocked too, so I went to their website and saw that they actually do not carry it, at least through the month of October. Here in Phoenix, they are showing the "This Old House" part on their SD subchannel next Monday and then the full "This Old House Hour" on the HD channel the following Saturday. Go figure, but it's better than not carrying it at all.

Cheers, Dave
post #42894 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Most cable subs in the LA area also get KOCE, Channel 50, from Orange County. The season premiere of "This Old House" is scheduled there (in HD) Saturday at 4:30p
post #42895 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

(From Marc Berman’s October 8, 2009, Programming Insider newsletter and blog at Mediaweek.com)
http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t...5642#346105642
Wednesday’s Nielsen Finals
(posted by Travis Yanan)

Criminal Minds
- 14.053 million viewers
- 8.8/14 HH
- 3.6/9 A18-49

CSI: NY
- 12.426 million viewers
- 8.2/14 HH
- 2.9/8 A18-49

Modern Family
- 8.823 million viewers
- 5.4/9 HH
- 3.4/9 A18-49

Law & Order: SVU (61 minutes)
- 8.293 million viewers
- 5.5/9 HH
- 2.6/7 A18-49

Cougar Town
- 7.842 million viewers
- 5.0/8 HH
- 3.2/8 A18-49

Mercy
- 7.433 million viewers
- 4.9/8 HH
- 1.8/5 A18-49

Glee
- 7.280 million viewers
- 4.4/7 HH
- 3.3/9 A18-49
- 3.4/10 A18-34
- 4.5/12 W18-34

Old Christine
- 6.861 million viewers
- 4.5/8 HH
- 1.9/6 A18-49

Gary Unmarried
- 6.836 million viewers
- 4.3/7 HH
- 2.2/6 A18-49

The Middle
- 6.789 million viewers
- 4.3/7 HH
- 2.1/6 A18-49

Hank
- 6.446 million viewers
- 4.2/7 HH
- 1.6/5 A18-49

So You Think You Can Dance
- 6.221 million viewers
- 4.0/7 HH
- 2.5/7 A18-49

The Jay Leno Show (59 minutes)
- 5.715 million viewers
- 3.9/7 HH
- 1.7/5 A18-49

Eastwick
- 5.141 million viewers
- 3.6/6 HH
- 1.8/5 A18-49

America's Next Top Model
- 3.156 million viewers
- 2.2/4 HH
- 1.5/4 A18-49
- 1.7/6 A18-34
- 2.5/8 W18-34

Melrose Place (R)
- 0.982 million viewers
- 0.7/1 HH
- 0.4/1 A18-49
- 0.6/2 A18-34

http://travisyanan.blogspot.com/

Note: Previous overnight ratings are available at Marc Berman’s Programmers Insider blog:

http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t...51/m/460103871
post #42896 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

I was shocked too, so I went to their website and saw that they actually do not carry it, at least through the month of October. Here in Phoenix, they are showing the "This Old House" part on their SD subchannel next Monday and then the full "This Old House Hour" on the HD channel the following Saturday. Go figure, but it's better than not carrying it at all.

The one week delay is common. KSMQ (Southern MN) used to do the delay to a lot of their programing... Was REALLY nice for SD recording, as I always had a fall back in case the first run was bad. Of course, with digital, bad recordings are very rare.....

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #42897 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

Hank
- 6.446 million viewers
- 4.2/7 HH
- 1.6/5 A18-49

Wow, after the short life of Back to You, Kelsey Grammer is not having a great time getting a show that makes it past the first few weeks. Hank is not looking promising at least in the numbers....

KD0MOF

post #42898 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Speaking of "Hank"...

TV Notes
ABC Gives Greenlights to Three Comedies
From Josef Adalian's The Wrap.com 'TV MoeJoe' Blog - October 8th, 2009

ABC has given full season, nine episode orders to three fall comedies: "Modern Family," "Cougar Town" and "The Middle."

The trio have all performed well as part of ABC's new Wednesday comedy block, and their renewals were expected. Still, given the Alphabet's years of woes in launching new comedies, the group pickups border on historic.

Not yet renewed: ABC's Kelsey Grammer half-hour "Hank." It's been the Nielsen weakling of the bunch, but it also has the unenviable task of leading off a night at 8 p.m.

There's still plenty of time for ABC to order more "Hank" down the road.

The network is also likely to order more episodes of drama "FlashForward," though that decision isn't expected to come before ABC sees how episode three of the series performs tonight.

http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/ab...-comedies-8414
post #42899 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Southland Canceled
'Dateline NBC' will air in drama's Friday time slot
By Nellie Andreeva, The Hollywood Reporter - October 8th, 2009

It's the end of the road for drama "Southland," which has been canceled before the launch of its sophomore season.

Production on the John Wells-produced cop series is being shut down after six episodes.

"Southland," from Warner Bros. TV, was originally slated to debut in its new Friday 9 p.m. time slot during premiere week, but in August, NBC opted to push the start to Oct. 23 and air "Dateline NBC" in the meantime.

"Dateline NBC" will now continue to run in the Friday 9 p.m. hour.

It is not clear when the six produced new episodes of "Southland" will air.

"Southland," created by Ann Biderman, got off to a good start when it premiered in midseason in the Thursday 10 p.m. time period, succeeding NBC's long-running medical drama, "ER," also exec produced by Wells.

Additionally, "Southland" garnered solid reviews, but through its initial run last spring, the series showed ratings erosion.

Then came the Jay Leno factor, with NBC forced to shift its 10 p.m. dramas to 9 p.m. to make room for "The Jay Leno Show."

While "Southland" has enjoyed strong support among NBC brass, after screening the finished episodes from the upcoming second season, the show's content was deemed too dark and gritty for broadcast TV, especially for 9 p.m.

There is a possibility for the series starring Ben McKenzie to be shopped to cable networks.

The cancellation of "Southland" ends (for now) a long relationship between NBC and Wells, who has been behind some of NBC's biggest series, including "ER" and "The West Wing," for the past 15 years.

It hasn't been a good start for NBC's scripted dramas this fall, with rookies "Trauma" and "Mercy" struggling along with most of the returning veterans, including "Heroes" and "Law & Order: SVU," which is still settling into its new Wednesday 9 p.m. slot.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...ab3cda7e6e78b4
post #42900 of 95776 Old 10-08-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ The fact that Warner Bros. owned "Southland" probably had as much to do with its demise as its content and low ratings. "Law & Order" has crappy ratings on Friday but NBC-Universal owns the show and whatever syndication/DVD value it can squeeze out of it, hence they'll protect it (while throwing "Southland" out to pasture). But who the hell is running this backwards-ass network? I saw promos for "L&O/Southland" running just a few days ago on NBC primetime, and then NBC just cancels the show? What about its promise to advertisers? Didn't the suits at NBC get scripts ahead of time that indicated the content of "Southland" would be too gritty? Couldn't they have made calls and requested changes be made before throwing millions of dollars and wasting a lot of talented actors/crew's hard work on something that will end up as red ink in both Warner and NBC-U's coffers? J.H. Christ, NBC deserves everything rotten that happens to it as long as the people there can tolerate an idiot like Zucker running it straight into the pawn shop.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page