post #44821 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

Are you suggesting NBC has fallen so far because it can't use raunchy language and "adult" situations?...

...Put those same execs in the cable arena, where they would face 15-20 competitors instead of four, (and presumably have no Olympics or NFL football to force millions of viewers to at least see some promos) and I would guess they would fall even farther...

"Are you suggesting NBC has fallen so far because it can't use raunchy language and "adult" situations?..."

No.

I doubt those execs would stay. It would be a dumb move but who knows?

Perhaps having no Olympics or NFL would sink them even farther but sometime its smart to be a big fish in a small pond rather than being the smallest fish in the biggest pond.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44822 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

TV Notes
'Psych' renewed for fifth season
USA orders 16 episodes, expected to debut next summer

By Nellie Andreeva, The Hollywood Reporter, Nov 23, 2009

When USA gave them the news the "Psych" people replied, "Yea we knew that already".

post #44823 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post

I think Malone's right about this, many here have been predicting the end or the beginning of the end for Broadcast Television and this could be it. I hate to say it but watch and see if this plays out this way.

I agree Malone makes some great points. I think there are too many nets as well. I"m also intrigued by the idea of broadcast nets eventually becoming localized, because I'v been thinking about this for a good while now. I mean just look at what Oprah is doing, I think she already knows what is going on, and the future is cable.

If Comcast succeeds in getting NBC then I really don't expect them to hang on to NBC for long. They may spin it off completely to the affiliates or something, but may still have some type of interest in the network due to SNF and the Superbowl. Of course they could always move SNF to the USA Network or Versus (most likely), since it's true home is on cable.

Nevertheless this is going to be an interesting time.
post #44824 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

That's because Time Warner and News Corp started as a content producer. I think Comcast feels like the money is not going to be in distribution in the long term.

Bingo.

Big money - and minimal competition - is in content, not distribution. You may see a variety of companies move in and out of distribution, but you'll rarely see a company abandon content in favor of distribution.

In fact, News Corp's move into distribution via DirecTV, was likely more about insuring distribution of expanded content (Fox Business, and their early desire to develop an ESPN competitor, etc.) than it was about trying to tap into the distribution market for its profit potential.
post #44825 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzo View Post

Of course they could always move SNF to the USA Network or Versus (most likely), since it's true home is on cable.

That's not an option that the NFL would allow.

Comcast's primary interest is the cablenets owned by NBC/U with their guaranteed placement on the MSOs and huge upside in carriage fees possible when they are guaranteed to be picked up by a competitor (Comcast) of most MSOs.
post #44826 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Don't most pilots get shopped around to the networks? Outside of situations where a project is made by Disney, for example, and kept in house at ABC...

Don't all nets get to look at a pilot by J.J. Abrams, for example?

Are the execs at NBC really that much worse than everybody else? or is it some kind of vicious circle where writers don't want to have their really good project end up at NBC where no one will see it, and around we go!

I'm sorry if I'm not being very coherent, but I really don't see how NBC can be this inept!

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #44827 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 84
NFL RePlay on NFLNHD

Tuesday:
8:00pm - STEELERS @ CHIEFS
9:30pm - FALCONS @ GIANTS

Wednesday:
8:00pm - BROWNS @ LIONS
9:30pm - COLTS @ RAVENS

post #44828 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
No, that used to be the case, EJ, but no longer.

With the exception of Warner Brothers, all the major production companies are now owned by the conglomerates which also own the networks.

And in all but a very few cases (and J.J. maybe one exception for all I know) producers, showrunners, writers and a number of actors generally have deals with specific studios.
post #44829 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Bad Robot Productions (J.J.'s production company) has agreements with Paramount, Universal, and Warner Bros. And maybe others, and it's a mix of film and television studios.
post #44830 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 05:49 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Thanks Fred.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #44831 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
Tuesday’s TV Talk Shows
Robin Williams on “Good Morning America”

From the Los Angeles Times’ “Show Tracker” blog
(Note: times are generally ET/PT Cable times are Pacific. For Sunday talk show and PBS show start times please check your local listings.)

The Early Show (N) 7 a.m. CBS

Today Alicia Keys; author Al Roker; Rhea Perlman and Lucy DeVito. (N) 7 a.m. NBC

Good Morning America Robin Williams ("Old Dogs"); Nadya Suleman. (N) 7 a.m. ABC

Live With Regis and Kelly Jimmy Kimmel; Carrot Top. (N) Syndicated

The View Robin Williams ("Old Dogs"); Matthew Rhys ("Brothers & Sisters"). (N) 10 a.m. (11 a.m. ET) ABC

The Doctors A cosmetic procedure adds a dimple to one's cheek; breast augmentation. (N) Syndicated

The Martha Stewart Show Thomas Keller; David Gregory. (N) Syndicated

The Bonnie Hunt Show Scott Wolf; the winner of "Project Runway"; the U.S. trampoline team. (N) Syndicated

Oprah Winfrey A salute to 2009's most extraordinary people. (N) Syndicated

Dr. Phil A woman tries to rebuild her reputation after stealing her neighbor's dog and abandoning it. (N) Syndicated

The Ellen DeGeneres Show Penélope Cruz; Kris Allen performs; "So You Think You Can Dance" castoffs. (N) Syndicated

The Tyra Show Dr. Drew Pinsky ("Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew") discusses sexual addiction. (N) Syndicated

The Dr. Oz Show Hidden dangers of airports and hotels around the country; Kitchen 911. (N) Syndicated

Tavis Smiley Kris Kristofferson. 7 and 11 p.m. PBS

The Jay Leno Show Charles Barkley; the latest contestant eliminated from "The Biggest Loser." (N) 10 p.m. NBC

Lopez Tonight Sandra Bullock; Derek Luke. (N) 11 p.m. TBS

Charlie Rose Brain series (Part 2). (N) 11:30 p.m. PBS

Late Show With David Letterman Zac Efron; Carrie Fisher; Rihanna performs. (N) 11:35 p.m. CBS

The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien Jack McBrayer; Marisa Miller; Weezer performs. (N) 11:35 p.m. NBC

Nightline (N) 11:35 p.m. ABC

Jimmy Kimmel Live Charlize Theron; the winner of "Dancing With the Stars"; Regis Philbin. (N) 12:06 a.m. ABC

The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson Maria Bello; Peter Capaldi; Ben Harper and Relentless7. (N) 12:37 a.m. CBS

Late Night With Jimmy Fallon Claire Danes; Chad Ochocinco; the Pixies perform. (N) 12:37 a.m. NBC

Last Call With Carson Daly OK Go performs. (N) 1:36 a.m. NBC

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...in-series.html
post #44832 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

That's not an option that the NFL would allow.

If you're saying that the NFL wouldn't let it be moved from OTA, have we forgotten where Monday Night Football used to be?
post #44833 of 95421 Old 11-23-2009, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

On The Air Tonight ...

9:30 Find My Family

(with no "SD" indicator)

"Find My Family" was in 4:3; was it in narrow-screen HD (the way "The Goode Family" was broadcast), was it pillarboxed, or was it in SD after all?
post #44834 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

If Broadcast is shutdown then ala carte should become mandatory and they should have done it before stations went digital. I also think the FCC wants to impose censorship on cable and this is as good as an excuse as any.
post #44835 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks.

The "Find My Family" SD error was mine.

Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

(with no "SD" indicator)

"Find My Family" was in 4:3; was it in narrow-screen HD (the way "The Goode Family" was broadcast), was it pillarboxed, or was it in SD after all?

post #44836 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
Tuesday Network Prime-Time Programming Options

(All shows are in HD unless noted as being in Standard Definition: SD)

(Reminder: If you are recording these programs, check your network listings for precise start/end times. For PBS, please double check your local listings.)

ABC
V (final new episode until next year)
9 Dancing With The Stars: Whitney Houston performs; the winners are announced.

CBS
NCIS
9 NCIS Los Angeles
10 The Good Wife

NBC
The Biggest Loser SD
10 The Jay Leno Show. Retired basketball player Charles Barkley; the latest contestant eliminated from ``The Biggest Loser.''

Fox
So You Think You Can Dance (two hours)

PBS
8 Nova: What Are Dreams? Researchers investigate the world of sleep, from human narcolepsy to sleepwalking cats.
9 Frontline: The Card Game. The future of the consumer loan industry and its impact on the national economy.
10 Independent Lens: Objectified. Creativity and design impact how people relate to manufactured objects like cell phones and toothbrushes.

The CW
90210 (R, September 15)
9 Melrose Place (R, September 22)
post #44837 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTech View Post

If you're saying that the NFL wouldn't let it be moved from OTA, have we forgotten where Monday Night Football used to be?

... and SNF went from cable to OTA. The NFL wants at least one primetime game to be OTA.

But that's not really the point. NBC paid significantly less because they are a broadcast network. It may be moved from OTA - but only at the next contract, or if they renegotiate with the NFL. It would cost them an extra half billion a year minimum to move it to USA, and substantially more than that for the NFL to even consider Versus.
post #44838 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Review
Apollo Wives

The Women Left on Earth When Space Called Men
By Mike Hale, The New York Times, November 24, 2009

The 10 women striding into an Arizona resort for a reunion are a group guaranteed to turn heads. Handsome, sharp and sure of themselves, mostly in their 70s, they look as if they met in college or were the members of a particularly effective Junior League.

Their bond is more unusual, however, a shared circumstance that made them famous as it enslaved them. They were all wives of Apollo astronauts, the relatively small number of men who trained for and, if they were chosen, joined one of the 12 manned Apollo missions. While their husbands became a new breed of hero, the wives achieved a symbolic status of their own as the women who waited, gathered in groups around radios and television sets.

Apollo Wives, a breezy hourlong documentary produced by BBC Wales and being shown Tuesday night on BBC America (*, ET, PT), gives these women a long-overdue chance to talk about the space program as they saw it. It's a point of view radically different from the real-stuff heroics and forced poetry we're used to from so many male tellings of the story.

The women have been holding reunions every few years since the early 1990s, and the interviews in the documentary were filmed this year at the group's 40th-anniversary gathering. No men appear on camera, which is fitting in two ways. For one thing, once astronauts began Apollo training, their wives were lucky to see them one or two nights a week. When they did come home, the adjustment to normal conditions after the pure oxygen of the space capsules could knock a man out before he finished dinner.

And for another, none of the 10 women are still with her astronaut husband, because of death or, in seven cases, divorce. The wages of fame and of having married into the arrogant fraternity of fighter jocks and test pilots in the first place have been heavy.

We hear the stories of maintaining households and raising families with little or no help. Millions of women could tell similar tales, but would they also be expected to maintain a cooperative, well-behaved public face (in the words of Barbara Gordon, former wife of Richard F. Gordon Jr.) while living with the extreme danger of their husbands' work? Jane Dreyfus, ex-wife of Pete Conrad, the third man to walk on the Moon, says 10 of their friends were killed over the years. We never got into any fights with our husbands or tried to yell at them because we didn't know whether they were going to come home that night, she says.

The darkest moment in the film is Martha Chaffee's story of the launch-pad fire aboard Apollo 1 that killed her husband, Roger, and the $2,000 payout she received after his death. The emotional high point comes when Clare Whitfield, former wife of Rusty Schweickart, picks up her ukulele and leads the women in a song she wrote about their strange experience and how they've come to understand it:

I won't be here to interrupt you,
I won't be here to contradict you,
I won't be here to see your thunder,
You can be macho man on your own.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/ar...ref=television
post #44839 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
Tuesday’s TV Highlights:
Abby goes west; “V” heads for hiatus; Dancing winners

From the Los Angeles Times’ “Show Tracker” blog
(Note: times are generally ET/PT.
Please remember that all live sports events are listed in Pacific time.
For PBS show start times please double check your local listings.)

SERIES

Explorer: This new episode imagines the aftermath of a 6-mile-wide asteroid slamming into the Earth -- which some scientists believe happened 66 million years ago -- paying particular attention to which organisms survived the impact (7 and 10 p.m. National Geographic).

Biography: Woody Harrelson is profiled. (7 p.m. Biography).

Sons of Anarchy: Jax and Clay prepare to battle The League; A.J. learns the truth about Ethan's business dealings; Tara ensures her position at St. Thomas Hospital. (7 p.m., FX). (Note: runs to 8:06).

REAL Sports With Bryant Gumbel. An organization for paralyzed high school football players; a man works to compete in an Ironman Triathlon after suffering an injury; the NFL's efforts to curb alcohol-induced fan misconduct; an insider's account of the Tim Donaghy betting scandal. (7 p.m. HBO).

NCIS: Gibbs (Mark Harmon) and his team are forced to put their Thanksgiving plans on hold after the horrific death of a Marine leads them to a government think tank that employs child prodigies, where a 12-year-old might be the killer's next target. Gabriel Olds, Lisa Sheridan and Madeline Carroll guest star (8 p.m. CBS).

The Biggest Loser: Suze Orman talks to the five remaining contestants about the connection between health and wealth and gives them tips on becoming fiscally fit. Then former pro football player Rod Woodson helps start an NFL challenge (8 p.m. NBC).

V: Anna meets with a special guest aboard the mother ship; Chad finds himself conflicted by some of his discoveries at the V Healing Centers. (* p.m. ABC).

Dirty Jobs: Mike reflects on some of his more hazardous apprenticeships and makes a plea for job safety (9 p.m. Discovery).

NCIS: Los Angeles: (Crossover alert!) Forensic scientist Abby Sciuto (Pauley Perrette) joins the team when a murder case resembles the pattern of a serial killer she has been tracking.

How the Earth Was Made: This documentary series premieres with a look at how geology and the Colorado River shaped the Grand Canyon, which is about a mile deep and extends for nearly 200 miles across the Southwest (9 p.m. History).

Dancing With the Stars: The winners are announced in the season finale (9 p.m. ABC).

The Good Wife: Alicia (Julianna Margulies) must navigate carefully through the minefield of office politics when she's assigned to represent a partner in the firm on a DUI charge (10 p.m. CBS).

Apollo Wives: Ten wives of Apollo astronauts come together to reveal how the space age brought them together and tore them apart. (8 p.m. BBC America).

Dinner With the Band: This new series premieres with an evening of cooking and live music as master chef Sam Mason invites his favorite bands over (11 p.m. IFC).

SPECIALS

Holly and Hal Moose: Our Uplifting Christmas Adventure: Two antlered workers at the North Pole Weather Center try to help Santa save Christmas in this new holiday special (7 p.m. ABC Family).

MOVIES

Hercules: Tate Donovan voices the title role in Disney's 1997 animated adaptation of the Greek myth. With the voices of Danny DeVito and James Woods. Charlton Heston narrates (8 p.m. ABC Family).

The Matrix: A computer programmer and hacker (Keanu Reeves) discovers that his entire reality is virtual in this 1999 sci-fi tale. Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving and Joe Pantoliano also star in the action and effects-packed adventure (8 p.m. AMC).

Appaloosa: Ed Harris directed and starred, with Viggo Mortensen and Renée Zellweger, in this 2008 western (8 p.m. Cinemax).

SPORTS

College basketball: EA Sports Maui Invitational: consolation games: (Vanderbilt vs. Chaminade, 10:30 a.m., and Colorado vs. Arizona 1 p.m. ESPN2); semifinals, (Maryland vs. Cincinnati, 4 and Gonzaga vs. Wisconsin 6:30 p.m. ESPN). O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic final (Texas vs. Pittsburgh 7 p.m. ESPN2), Cancun Caribbean Challenge: Virginia vs. Stanford (7 p.m. CBSC).

College football: Ball State at Western Michigan (4 p.m. ESPN2).

UEFA Champions League Soccer: Barcelona vs. Inter Milan (11:30 a.m. FSN).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...biography.html
post #44840 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTech View Post

Yeah, but the NFL told Congress the Super Bowl would stay on OTA TV. To do otherwise might cause them to lose certain government loopholes like antitrust.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #44841 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Business Notes
Google Ties With TiVo For Better Ratings Data
First-time TiVo data used for currency

By Claire Atkinson -- Broadcasting & Cable, 11/24/2009

Google is aiming to soup up its automated TV advertising service following a deal to buy in new audience measurement data from TiVo, the two companies said Tuesday. Google’s service already serves ad agencies with audience measurement data from satellite provider Dish, but a deal with TiVo adds a new raft of information about all kinds of TV viewers -- including their DVR habits. TiVo’s footprint also crosses cable and free-to-air households, not just satellite subscribers, substantially enhancing the service.

While the deal takes place with immediate effect, it will be some months before the TiVo data is synthesized into Google’s ad buying service. For the first time though, agencies will be able to see second-by-second data about how their commercials are viewed plus DVR playback data. Currently, the industry currency is based on commercial ratings calculated as an average across each pod by Nielsen.

Google TV Ads is the company’s most aggressive outpost in the world of television ad buying, but has yet to go mass market. The service buys and then represents the airtime of a clutch of TV channels such as Hallmark and CNBC. Media buyers then come in and decide what to pay, how many people they want to reach and what days and time periods to place their ad spots. They can retool any aspect of their buy depending on what seems to be working thanks to the prompt audience viewing data.

In a testimonial on Google TV Ad’s Website, Priceline.com Chief Marketing Officer Brett Keller wrote, “We can run different forms of creative through the platform and look at drop-off rates in viewership by spot, network or program…We can identify which pieces of creative work best and use that info for our traditional media methodology.”

Todd Juenger, vice president and general manager of TiVo Audience Research & Measurement, told B&C, “They are a new client, and this gives us a couple of things; validation of the quality of our data. They [Google] looked around the world and chose us to work with and it’s the first time our data is used as currency.” The value of the deal was undisclosed.

Google TV Ads launched in 2007 and has served over 100 billion TV ad impressions, according to a press statement from the California-based company. Mike Steib, Google’s director of emerging platforms, said in a statement, “This deal with TiVo will give advertisers access to even more anonymous viewership data, making Google’s dataset one of the best in the industry.”

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...tings_Data.php
post #44842 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Business Notes
TiVo, Google pact in data deal
Ad community to get more info on viewers

By Stuart Levine, Variety

TiVo has pacted with Google to provide analytical information to advertisers about viewers who watch TV via the DVR service.

Through the Google TV ads program that began two years ago in which advertisers bid on prices for available commercial time, TiVo will give highly detailed data never previously reported to Google TV ad clients. Google also has a deal with Dish Network to garner viewer information that it shares with advertisers.

New data provided will include second-by-second viewing information on who's changing channels and when, who's fast-forwarding through commercials and anonymous information on viewers themselves. Goal is to align advertisers with viewers who would have a natural inclination to be interested in a product.

Ultimately, Google TV measures how many people saw the ad and then goes back to the advertiser with a pricetag on how much it should pay for a 30- or 60-second spot.

"Media choices that don't have good measurement will suffer at the expense of those who do," said Todd Juenger, VP-g.m. of TiVo audience and research measurement. "We get this great data and find it extremely valuable."

Among the TV outlets that are selling ad time through the Google TV Ads platform are a handful of NBC Universal-owned cablers, including MSNBC, CNBC, Syfy and Oxygen.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...s=1&ref=verttv
post #44843 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Critic’s Notes
On The Air Tonight:
'Dancing,' and 'Dance'

By Roger Catlin, Hartford Courant TV Critic, in his “TV Eye” blog, November 24, 2009
(Note: All times are ET)

Donny Osmond has a career long fanbase, but the lowest judges scores recently. Mya's star as a recording artist has faded a little, but she's way ahead on judges' scoreboards. And Kelly Osbourne is just cute.

One of the three will take home the meaningless mirror ball trophy in tonight's finale of "Dancing with the Stars" (ABC, 9 p.m.). All 13 contestants from the start of the season will return; Whitney Houston will sing. And there will be some individual challenges - Michael Irvin will go one on one with Jerry Rice.

It's an important night for the competitors on "So You Think You Can Dance" (Fox, 8 p.m.) as well. Those making the cut to the Top 10 Wednesday will be able to tour with the troupe when the season is over.

The first rate "Objectified," on "Independent Lens" (PBS 10 p.m.) looks at the work of modern product designers who bring fresh eyes to objects from toothbrushes to chairs. It's the second in filmmaker Gary Huswit's trilogy on design, following his excellent treatise on typography, "Helvetica."

It follows a surprisingly out-of-time "Frontline" (PBS, Tuesday, 9 p.m.) returning to covering the credit card industry and the charges they arbitrarily assess, completed before Congress put an end to overdraft fees on debit cards.

Traveling musicians not only pick up new fans on the road, they find good places to eat. They share some of their knowledge on a new series "Dinner with the Band" (IFC, 11 p.m.), hoping to bring indie youth into the TV food world. Chef Sam Mason of the New York restaurants Tailor and WD-50 is the interviewer. The first band up is Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings.

"Holly and Hal Moose: Our Uplifting Christmas Adventure" (ABC Family, 7 p.m.) is an animated special featuring characters from the sponsoring Build-A-Bear Workshop. Meghan Martin and Jonathan Morgan Heit provide the voicesof the supporting elves.

Other premature holiday fare includes the TV movies "All I Want for Christmas" (Hallmark, 8 p.m.) and "A Christmas Visitor"(Hallmark, 10 p.m.).

The season premiere of "How the Earth was Made" (History, 9 p.m.) looks into how the Grand Canyon was formed.

Another ordeal for those on "The Biggest Loser" (NBC, 8 p.m.): enduring a Suze Orman lecture.

http://blogs.courant.com/roger_catli...-and.html#more
post #44844 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

(From Marc Berman’s November 24, 2009, Programming Insider newsletter and blog at Mediaweek.com)
http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t...1852#997101852
Friday’s Nielsen Cable Finals
(posted by Travis Yanan and Douglas)

Monk
- 5.296 million viewers
- 3.3/6 HH
- 1.2/3 A18-49

White Collar
- 4.559 million viewers
- 2.9/5 HH
- 1.2/4 A18-49

Stargate Universe
- 1.891 million viewers
- 1.2/2 HH
- 0.8/3 A18-49

Magic vs Celtics (8:01pm, 161 minutes)
- 1.743 million viewers
- 1.2/2 HH
- 0.8/3 A18-49

Nuggets vs Clippers (10:42pm, 163 minutes)
- 1.465 million viewers
- 1.0/2 HH
- 0.7/3 A18-49

Sancutary
- 1.439 million viewers
- 0.9/2 HH
- 0.5/2 A18-49

http://twitter.com/travisyanan

http://travisyanan.blogspot.com/

Note: Previous overnight ratings are available at Marc Berman’s Programmers Insider blog:

http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t...51/m/460103871
post #44845 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

(From Marc Berman’s November 24, 2009, Programming Insider newsletter and blog at Mediaweek.com)
Friday’s Nielsen Broadcast Finals
(posted by Travis Yanan)

Ghost Whisperer CBS
- 8.416 million viewers
- 5.3/10 HH
- 2.0/7 A18-49

20/20 ABC
- 7.922 million viewers
- 5.3/10 HH
- 1.8/6 A18-49

Medium CBS
- 7.845 million viewers
- 5.0/9 HH
- 1.9/6 A18-49

Numb3rs CBS
- 7.833 million viewers
- 5.0/9 HH
- 1.7/5 A18-49

Law & Order NBC
- 7.525 million viewers
- 4.8/9 HH
- 1.4/5 A18-49

Dateline (61 minutes, 97% coverage NBC normally 98%) NBC- 7.441 million viewers
- 4.9/9 HH
- 1.5/5 A18-49

Shrek the Third (120 minutes) ABC
- 6.355 million viewers
- 3.6/6 HH
- 1.9/6 A18-49

The Jay Leno Show (59 minutes) NBC- 4.669 million viewers
- 3.1/6 HH
- 1.3/4 A18-49

Bones (R, 59 minutes) Fox
- 3.671 million viewers
- 2.4/4 HH
- 1.1/3 A18-49

House (R, 61 minutes) Fox
- 3.328 million viewers
- 2.1/4 HH
- 1.1/4 A18-49

Smallville (93% coverage CW normally 94%) CW
- 2.419 million viewers
- 1.5/3 HH
- 1.1/4 A18-49
- 1.2/5 A18-34
- 0.9/3 W18-34

America's Next Top Model (R, 93% coverage) CW
- 0.917 million viewers
- 0.6/1 HH
- 0.4/1 A18-49
- 0.5/2 A18-34
- 0.5/2 W18-34

http://travisyanan.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/travisyanan

Note: Previous overnight ratings are available at Marc Berman’s Programmers Insider blog:

post #44846 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
Pondering the fortunes of ABC's 'V'
It ends its initial four-week run, with ratings down

By Louisa Ada Seltzer, MediaLifeMagazine.com staff writer, Nov 24, 2009

What to make of "V," the new ABC sci fi series that wraps up a four-week run tonight at 8 p.m.?

The show, which will return next spring with nine new episodes, has been a success in many ways for the network, drawing critical kudos and high initial ratings in a timeslot where ABC has struggled for years.

But the show has also had some problems. Its show runner left on the day of its premiere, production was shut down briefly, and the program was given a creative overhaul before launch. Perhaps most ominous, its ratings have fallen by more than a third since that big debut.

"V" averaged a 5.2 adults 18-49 rating for the Nov. 3 premiere, according to Nielsen live-plus-same-day-DVR playback numbers. By episode three last week, that rating had fallen to a 3.1, a dip of 41 percent.

It's possible that some of those lost viewers are now time-shifting the show. According to live-plus-seven-day numbers, the premiere was the fifth-most-time-shifted program of the week among 18-49s, gaining a full rating point, a bump of 19 percent.

But because L+7 ratings are not released for several weeks, it's not yet clear if the viewers who disappeared after the premiere are completely gone or just timeshifting. Sci fi shows like "Fringe," "Heroes" and "Smallville" have the highest shift rates of any programs on TV.

The danger, of course, is that if "V" is already losing audience, it will be that much harder for the show to draw a big one when it returns after a three-month hiatus. As the writers' strike proved two years ago, all but the most devoted viewers have very short memories, and they move on quickly if a show they like disappears.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...of_ABC_s_V.asp
post #44847 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

... and SNF went from cable to OTA. The NFL wants at least one primetime game to be OTA.

But that's not really the point. NBC paid significantly less because they are a broadcast network. It may be moved from OTA - but only at the next contract, or if they renegotiate with the NFL. It would cost them an extra half billion a year minimum to move it to USA, and substantially more than that for the NFL to even consider Versus.

I agree... it would cost them a lot of money. But I'm sure Comcast would think of it as a good long term investment that could help boost Versus as a competitor to ESPN. You have to start somewhere. And to compete with ESPN you have to spend big.
post #44848 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

But first the NFL would have to agree to sell the package to Versus.

I suspect it would prefer to "sell" the SNF series to its own NFL Network, which would then shoot that network's value up two or three-fold, compel the remaining laggards to sign on and allow for a major uptick in the prices the NFL Network charges providers.
post #44849 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Critic’s Notes
Checking It Twice:
Your DVD holiday wish list

By Aaron Barnhart, The Kansas City Star TV critic

Time once again for my annual Best TV Shows/Great Gift Ideas list. We’re doing this one a little early and a little differently this year.

America was a tad frugal last holiday season, you may have heard, but with the economy recovering oh-so-slightly, retailers are expecting folks to shop. Bargain-shop perhaps, but shop nonetheless.

So this year’s list emphasizes good values, and to help you with that, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite TV series from the past decade. Many of them can be had at bargain prices through the resale market (Amazon, eBay, etc.).

But first, a word about your DVD player. You may have read that stores are expected to offer $99 Blu-ray high-definition players this season, and there have even been whispers about a $49 Black Friday special.

But before you bite on that, ask yourself this: Have I seen every movie and every TV show that I wanted to see in the pre-HD era? If your answer is “no,” then strongly consider keeping your existing player or replacing it if it’s worn out.

Bargain DVD players are everywhere; I saw one selling for $19.99 last weekend at Strasser Hardware. Two years from now, those will be Blu-rays.

Right now, though, not only is a Blu-ray player several times costlier than its standard DVD counterpart, the discs themselves are typically much pricier, especially if you’re comparing new to resale.

Now, onto the discs. Once again, my list of shows you must rent or own is led by “The Wire,” the gritty, novelistic urban drama that aired for five seasons on HBO. I recommend starting with the first two seasons, which in my opinion were the best two years the show had. Some of my colleagues disagree, which gives you an idea how good “The Wire” is.

After that, I can’t recommend any show from the past decade more highly than “Mad Men,” which aired a ridiculously satisfying third-season finale earlier this month.

By starting with Season 1, you’ll be ushered into a wry critique of American middle-class life circa 1960, with unsafe sex, unhip fashions and above all, an unreal amount of smoking. Jon Hamm, who plays ad man Don Draper, said he was counted taking 76 drags off a cigarette in the first hour alone.

But as the show eases into Season 2, you start paying less attention to the scenery and more to the fantastic characters inhabiting it, from Don’s desperate housewife, Betty, to Pete and Roger, his rivals at the agency, to the ghosts in his past.

If you’re kicking yourself because you missed Season 3, you can watch it on your computer in high-resolution Amazon Video for $20 (you can also download it to your TiVo, as I did).

“House: Season Two” is selling for under $11 plus shipping. In my opinion this was the series’ high point, when the notion of a doctor who loved illness but hated dealing with people was still a fresh and exciting premise for the show, before the script writers got bored and veered off track into having House stage a “Survivor” competition for new employees to abuse.

“The Shield,” Seasons 1 and 4 ($10 and $17 used), offer the back-to-back brilliance of Michael Chiklis in a breakout role as rogue cop Vic Mackey and Glenn Close coming along three years later to pump new life into TV’s most intense cop show as someone who speaks Vic’s language but refuses to pledge allegiance to him.

This would be a good time to introduce a loved one to the joys of “Burn Notice” ($14). With the weather turning foul, everyone would like to escape to Miami.

“Life on Mars” is simply one of the most ingenious ideas for a detective series — knock a contemporary, forensics-trained cop back into the paleolithic era of 1973, and see how he does. Be sure you get the British version starring John Simm, which is finally out on DVD. Series 1 was released this summer; the concluding Series 2 this week.

“Andy Barker, P.I.,” is also just out. It stars Andy Richter as an accountant-turned-gumshoe and lasted only six episodes, but four of them are fantastic. Whoever you gift them to will almost certainly not have even heard of the show.

“The Paper Chase: Season Two” is out Dec. 15. Those of you with long memories may recall that the drama starring John Houseman as a Harvard Law professor lasted only one season on CBS. But Showtime picked it up five years later and produced more episodes. These are those episodes.

Finally, no holiday list is complete without “Police Squad!,” the 1982 series that spawned the “Naked Gun” movie franchise, can be had for less than 10 bucks and to this day is the comedy gift that keeps on giving.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainm...y/1581602.html
post #44850 of 95421 Old 11-24-2009, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
Regis Philbin Taking Leave of Absence for Hip Surgery

By Joyce Eng, TVGuide.com, Nov. 24, 2009

Regis Philbin intends to take some time off from Live with Regis and Kelly to undergo hip-replacement surgery.

"I'm allowed to announce I'm going into hip surgery. I'm going to have my hip replaced. I've been limping around here. It's really painful," he said on Monday's Live, which is broadcasting from Las Vegas this week.

The surgery is scheduled for Dec. 1. Philbin, 78, is expected to take four to six weeks off to recover. "I'll be back next year," he said, though he didn't offer a firm date.

Guest hosts have not been announced yet.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Regis-Ph...g-1012538.aspx
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page