post #44911 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

But MJ never, ever, did that sort of stuff on live TV.

Uh, beg to differ, where do you think the crotch rub first came into play?

On a dial spin, I just happened to catch his intro, stayed for a bit. The music and performance were SO god awful, I left before the juicy parts.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44912 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

I wouldn't count on a "V" mini marathon prior to the show's resumption this spring.

No way they'd do that on their prime channel, but it would be VERY good business to put it on one of their cable outlets. Not to mention they also could point folks to their various web outlets to catch up...

post #44913 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantyank001 View Post

In terms of two women kissing, yes it has happened plenty of times. The majority of the top rated shows and even some of the lower rated ones have at some point featured two women kiss.

Probably because 2 women kissing taps into one very big guy thing... it's all about the fantasy of joining them.

Even so, personally I am 100% against any kind of censorship. I would NEVER try and impose my standards on anyone and resent anyone trying to force theirs on me.

Not to mention this guy needs all the shock value he can muster... take away the whole "look" and he falls flat as a singer.

post #44914 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Love it, I'm uber happy to have all Fox content OUT of Google... many may view that as a big plus.

Quote:

Even so, personally I am 100% against any kind of censorship. I would NEVER try and impose my standards on anyone and resent anyone trying to force theirs on me.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a contradiction?

Cheers, Dave
post #44915 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a contradiction?

How so?

I would have thought you'd take the first one as a dollop of sarcasm... in truth, it was a tad political and I should have made it more obvious that the heart of the matter is m$ trying to buy their way back to some level of relevance by being a party.

Hugely wealthy corporations try to use their money to NOT create a better product, but to shut out a competitor has zip to do with whether or not broadcasters be held accountable for bawdy behavior.

post #44916 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Conceivably, the free market making real choices backed by scientifically proven methods of obvious and verifiable facts is the evidence of a real democracy and free people rather than a bunch of carnival barkers yelling louder than the rest.

The true measurement of the will of the people rather than the well financed whim of a few devious mouthpieces selling a self-serving point of view.

Just my 2 cents
post #44917 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
ABC edges CBS with finale of 'Dancing'
Averages a 3.9 in 18-49s, 0.1 ahead of CBS
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - November 25th, 2009

Donny Osmond tangoed away with the title and ABC won the night as "Dancing with the Stars" aired its finale, though it was down from the same night last year.

"Stars'" results show averaged a season-high 4.3 adults 18-49 rating from 9 to 11 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, off 16 percent from a 5.1 last year.

"Stars" has seen declines all season, but it remains one of the top shows on television, especially among total viewers, where it averaged 19.2 million last night. Last year's finale averaged 20.7 million.

The show peaked with a 4.7 18-49 rating at 10:30 p.m. as Osmond upset judges favorite Mya for the victory. Reality star Kelly Osbourne, like Osmond an audience favorite all season, finished third.

That was enough to boost ABC past CBS for the night by a very narrow margin.

ABC averaged a 3.9 18-49 rating for the night and an 11 share. CBS was second at 3.8/11, NBC third at 2.9/8, Fox fourth at 2.1/6, Univision fifth at 1.4/4 and CW sixth at 0.5/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Thirty-three percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

CBS was first at 8 p.m. with a 4.4 for “NCIS,” followed by NBC with a 3.2 for “The Biggest Loser.” ABC was third with a 3.1 for “V,” Fox fourth with a 2.2 for “So You Think You Can Dance,” Univision fifth with a 1.3 for “El Nombre del Amor” and CW sixth with a 0.5 for a repeat of “90210.”

At 9 p.m. CBS was first again with a 4.3 for “NCIS: Los Angeles,” its second-best rating ever thanks to an "NCIS" character's crossover. ABC moved to second with a 3.9 for “Stars.” NBC was third with a 3.7 for more “Loser,” Fox fourth with a 2.0 for more “Dance,” Univision fifth with a 1.8 for “Sortilegio” and CW sixth with a 0.4 for a “Melrose Place” rerun.

ABC took the lead at 10 p.m. with a 4.6 for more “Stars,” with CBS second with a 2.8 for “The Good Wife.” NBC was third with a 1.9 for “The Jay Leno Show,” tying its second-highest rating in seven weeks, and Univision fourth with a 1.1 for “Aqui y Ahora.”

CBS led the night among households with a 10.3 average overnight rating and a 17 share. ABC was second at 9.8/16, NBC third at 4.7/8, Fox fourth at 3.3/5, Univision fifth at 1.9/3 and CW sixth at 0.7/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...of_Dancing.asp
post #44918 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Looks like Abby brought lots of regular "NCIS" viewers over to the "LA" spinoff. If CBS and both show's producers/writers time it right a Mark Harmon crossover between both "NCIS" shows could be a Sweeps ratings bonanza.
post #44919 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Tuesday’s fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings (which include the total viewers and 18-49 demographic estimates) – along with Media Week Analyst Marc Berman’s view of what they mean -- have now been posted at the top of Ratings News -- the second post in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10367387
post #44920 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Before we get all wound up in a discussion about censorship, let us remember that broadcast licenses are issued with clear understanding by those who receive them about guidelines for what is permissable and what isn't. Cable, of course, is not licensed and the rules don't exist there.

(Oh, and Mr., Lambert certainly understood those rules: we didn't see him trying such antics on "American Idol", did we?)

No broadcasters I am aware of are complaining about censorship in the AMA case.

Mr. Lambert, (who tellingly and apparently deliberately added the sexual hijinks after his rehearsal, then immediately claiming some artistic force of nature led him to do it) and then only well afterwards -- when further questioned -- did he start making it a gay/straight issue. Complaining about "censorship" or anti gay sentiment here smacks to me of folks who buy relatively inexpensive homes near an aiprot and then immediately start lobbying to cut down on flights because they are too noisy.

It is simply a case of a sense of decency and what is acceptable on network TV. Clearly this wasn't either in good taste for a large number of people, nor was it within accepted bounds of decency for network TV.

There are always serious issues concerning freedom of speech and they deserve thoughtful and reasoned discussion. But I fail to see how this sorry incident -- which appears far as simply a performer desperate to regain the limelight and hype his just-released album -- is one of them.

(Everyone who wishes may comment, one more time, but then let us please let this subject disappear.)
post #44921 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

^^^ Looks like Abby brought lots of regular "NCIS" viewers over to the "LA" spinoff. If CBS and both show's producers/writers time it right a Mark Harmon crossover between both "NCIS" shows could be a Sweeps ratings bonanza.

They should do a 2 hour show utilizing both NCIS East/West... or something similar to what the CSI "Trilogy" did a week or so ago...
post #44922 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I would bet we will see something like that either in the February or (more likely) May sweep period.
post #44923 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Business Notes
TWC Asks Customers: Should It Roll Over Or Get Tough On Programmer Price Hikes
Launches Web Site As Part Of Initiative To Gauge Subscriber Response To Upcoming Negotiations

By Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 11/25/2009

Girding for battles that loom on the horizon, Time Warner Cable has launched a multifaceted campaign centering on price increases by programmers.

Facing expiring deals with a number of key programmers, the nation's second-largest cable operator is launching a Web site, rolloverorgettough.com, which it says is designed to give its subscribers a voice in what it calls unfair price demands by content suppliers. In announcing the initiative, the operator, without specifying a network or a programming group, says those who operate broadcast and cable networks are asking for "incredible price hikes," as much as 300%.

A Time Warner Cable spokesperson said that when the site goes live this afternoon, customers will be able to vote on whether the operator rolls over, or should get tough, about price increases.

The messaging, at least at first, will be generic: "No one likes paying more. You don't. We don't. Yet, every time our contracts with TV program providers come up for renewal, that's what we face. Price increases. Big ones. Up to 300% more. Sometimes we can avoid passing them on to you. Sometimes we can't. Sometimes, a network will threaten to take your shows away if we don't roll over. Whenever that's happened in the past, we'd make the best deal we could and hope that would be the end of it. But it never was. So no more. The networks shouldn't be in the driver's seat on what you watch and how much you pay. You're our customers, so help us decide what to do. We're just one company, but there are millions of you. Together, we just might be able to make a difference in what America pays for its favorite entertainment."

Time Warner Cable has been engaged in a long-running dispute with NFL Network, which remains on its distribution sideline over pricing and positioning issues. Perhaps more pressing is an array of expiring contracts with various Fox properties, many of which were set to conclude at the close of 2008, but were tabled until this year. According to sources, some of the properties involve include: FX, Fuel, Speed, Fox Soccer Channel, and a number of its regional sports networks. Moreover, Time Warner Cable faces retransmission-consent negotiations with Fox Broadcasting.

The Wall Street Journal also reports that Time Warner Cable faces contract negotiations with services owned by Scripps Interactive, stations owned by Sinclair Broadcasting and The Weather Channel, which is owned by NBC Universal and private-equity firms Bain Capital LLC and Blackstone Group LP.

"We have some tough choices to make, and we want to make sure we're doing what's best for our customers, so we're asking them to help us decide what to do," said Time Warner Cable Chairman, president and CEO Glenn Britt, in a statement. "We want them to know why we fight so hard on these issues - if we Roll Over, they pay the price. If we Get Tough, they may lose their favorite shows until we reach a reasonable agreement.

"We're not trying to attack programmers, but we need to find a better way to resolve these issues," Britt continued. "Together, with our customers, we just might be able to make a difference in what America pays for its favorite entertainment."

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...rice_Hikes.php
post #44924 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Business Notes
TWC Asks Customers: Should It Roll Over Or Get Tough On Programmer Price Hikes
Launches Web Site As Part Of Initiative To Gauge Subscriber Response To Upcoming Negotiations

By Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 11/25/2009

Girding for battles that loom on the horizon, Time Warner Cable has launched a multifaceted campaign centering on price increases by programmers.

That website is a complete farce. If you click on roll over, you get a bunch of crap, encouraging you to click on "get tough." Only on the "get tough" site can you actual enter your information or any suggestions.

To some subscribers, their favorite programs are worth any price and they should be able to voice what channels they want kept at any cost.

If Time Warner wants this site taken seriously, then they need to list the channels, what they currently pay and what is being asked.

Let the consumer see the real cost and then vote to see if they feel its worth an increase.

This will also allow the consumer to see the real price that is being paid and how badly they are being gouged by their Video Service Provider, so it will never happen...

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #44925 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Wouldn't pressure to force cable networks to allow providers to offer a la carte be far more effective in cutting costs to consumers?
post #44926 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:

Wouldn't pressure to force cable networks to allow providers to offer a la carte be far more effective in cutting costs to consumers?

and I can guarantee that no matter what the outcome of that vote is, TWC prices will go up next year regardless.

post #44927 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How so?

I would have thought you'd take the first one as a dollop of sarcasm... in truth, it was a tad political and I should have made it more obvious that the heart of the matter is m$ trying to buy their way back to some level of relevance by being a party.

Hugely wealthy corporations try to use their money to NOT create a better product, but to shut out a competitor has zip to do with whether or not broadcasters be held accountable for bawdy behavior.

I get the sarcasm now, but I didn't at first. Without the sarcasm I just thought wanting Fox removed and then complaining about censorship was a contradiction, that's all. BTW, there are plenty of people who agree with that and don't care if it's a contradiction. They applaud censorship as long as it goes their way. Such is life in America.

Cheers, Dave
post #44928 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

That website is a complete farce. If you click on roll over, you get a bunch of crap, encouraging you to click on "get tough." Only on the "get tough" site can you actual enter your information or any suggestions.

"Roll Over
Price-gouging by TV networks is driving up the cost of cable TV. In today’s economy that’s unfair.

TV networks know that massive price increases -- up to 300% -- are impossible for us to absorb without passing on some of that cost to you.

Even worse, some are threatening to pull the plug on your favorite shows if they don’t get their way.

It’s your money – and your shows.

Instead of rolling over, we think it’s time to speak out against TV networks that boost their bottom line by squeezing cable TV viewers like you.

Click here to GET TOUGH and fight back!"

and that's all you get. Typical TWC propaganda. Just as they did with all the other network fight sites they've made. I doubt even clicking on "roll over" to get to that response even registers.

post #44929 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If ABC didn't like what Mr Lambert did,then I have no problem with the cancellation of his appearance. But I do have a problem if they buckled under and canceled him just because of those who complained.

Happy Thanksgiving !
post #44930 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown are locks....

NFL Hall of Fame SemiFinalists Show Saturday on NFL Network

In the past, the announcement of the 25 semifinalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame induction consisted of a simple list distributed to members of the media.

This year, the announcement will become an hour-long TV special.

NFL Network will show the announcement of the 25 semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2010 on Saturday at 1 p.m. Eastern, with host Paul Burmeister, Hall of Fame voter Rick Gosselin, NFL Films writer-producer Ray Didinger and Hall of Fame executive Joe Horrigan participating in a panel discussion to go over the merits of each of the candidates.

The show will also include a feature from NFL Films president Steve Sabol comparing the career of former Broncos running back Terrell Davis with three Hall of Fame running backs who had similarly short careers: Ernie Nevers, Gale Sayers, and Doak Walker. And NFL Network's Rod Woodson, the great defensive back who was inducted into the Hall of Fame this year, will break down next year's defensive back and wide receiver candidates.

The 25 semifinalists will come from a preliminary list of 131 candidates.
That preliminary list is available on the Hall of Fame's web site: http://www.profootballhof.com/enshri...--by-position/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nced-saturday/

post #44931 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 01:55 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Happy Thanksgiving to all the HOTP addicts.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #44932 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

Happy Thanksgiving to all the HOTP addicts.

Here here... or should I say, Gobble Gobble!
post #44933 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Speaking of turkeys (sorry, I could not resist, it's just a joke )

Oprah to interview Obamas for holiday special

"The talk show queen will tape a primetime Christmas special with President Obama and the first lady later this week. The hour-long show is set to air at 9 p.m. Central on Sunday, Dec. 13."

"The high-definition special will include behind-the-scenes preparations as the White House gets ready for the holiday season."

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...112509.article

To be broadcast on what channel/network? They don't say???

edit: The special will air on ABC.
post #44934 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

This will also allow the consumer to see the real price that is being paid and how badly they are being gouged by their Video Service Provider, so it will never happen...

Just like every other company in business there is a lot more costs involved then just what you pay for your product. Programming costs alone don't come close to what it cost to run a cable company, just like food costs alone don't come close to what it costs to run a restaurant.
post #44935 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Of course for the last decade or so, the argument could be made that cable companies have been building their internet and phone infrastructures on the backs of their cable customers.
post #44936 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

Just like every other company in business there is a lot more costs involved then just what you pay for your product. Programming costs alone don't come close to what it cost to run a cable company, just like food costs alone don't come close to what it costs to run a restaurant.

Unlike a lot of others, I don't really care how much the other costs are. What I'd like to see is programming costs separated from all those other costs, similar to what my phone bill looks like. I want to see what my channel selection is costing me (without any cableco markup) and then I want to see what cable is charging to deliver that content. Then, when costs go up, I can see if it's the content provider ripping me off, the cableco, or both. Of course I know it's both, but I'd like to "see" it.

Quote:

Of course for the last decade or so, the argument could be made that cable companies have been building their internet and phone infrastructures on the backs of their cable customers.

Yes they have and it's about time that stops. I know, I'm dreaming.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Cheers, Dave
post #44937 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:

To some subscribers, their favorite programs are worth any price and they should be able to voice what channels they want kept at any cost.

If Time Warner wants this site taken seriously, then they need to list the channels, what they currently pay and what is being asked.

Let the consumer see the real cost and then vote to see if they feel its worth an increase.

How about "cable" MSOs price gouging customers with compulsory STB fees to receive "expanded basic" service; despite widespread integrated QAM tuner availability (Spare me the b.s. "pole trap" argument. "Addressable Pole Traps" eviscerate the problem.)? Why are "digital port fees" charged? Why are analog channels removed without recompense? How about draconian policies and fees for procuring CableCARD? Why do "cable" MSOs outright LIE when they state the feds mandated a digital transition for "expanded basic" (i.e. Cablevision)?

That being said, private companies charge what they want. I refuse to accept their terms, and go OTA as a result. It just annoys me when these companies call shenanigans on each other. Pot...kettle.
post #44938 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Mr. Lambert, (who tellingly and apparently deliberately added the sexual hijinks after his rehearsal, then immediately claiming some artistic force of nature led him to do it) and then only well afterwards -- when further questioned -- did he start making it a gay/straight issue. Complaining about "censorship" or anti gay sentiment here smacks to me of folks who buy relatively inexpensive homes near an aiprot and then immediately start lobbying to cut down on flights because they are too noisy.

That's not entirely true. ABC asked him to tone down the routine after they saw the rehearsal. He did, but apparently not enough.

Underneath the guyliner and the theatrics, he does have talent. Unfortunately his "showmanship" gets in the way. I was never a fan on Idol, but he sang one song (Mad World) without all the histrionics and tongue wagging. It was amazing. The talent is there, unfortunately that's not what we saw the other night.
post #44939 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

And he (as he admits) added several elements which were not in the rehearsal and which have drawn the most fire.

THEN he moaned about ABC's censorship.

Please.

Life is simple: you accept someone's hospitality (or in this case a giant promotional vehicle worth millions of dollars) and you live by their rules. Especially when those rules have been made very clear.

If you are a smoker and go to someone's house who doesn't smoke, you don't smoke. You don't complain about your host's prejudice against smokers.

If the rules are a problem, don't attend.
post #44940 of 98299 Old 11-25-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

(From Marc Berman’s November 25, 2009, Programming Insider newsletter and blog at Mediaweek.com)
http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums?a=t...6852#596106852
Tuesday’s Nielsen Cable Finals
(posted by Travis Yanan and Douglas)

Sons of Anarchy (66 minutes)
- 3.438 million viewers
- 2.1/4 HH
- 1.7/5 A18-49

The Hills
- 1.717 million viewers
- 1.3/2 HH
- 1.0/3 A18-49
- 2.1/6 W18-34

The City
- 1.299 million viewers
- 1.0/2 HH
- 0.8/2 A18-49
- 1.7/5 W18-34

Table For 12 (8pm)
- 0.729 million viewers
- 0.5/1 HH
- 0.3/1 A18-49

Table For 12 (8:30pm)
- 0.791 million viewers
- 0.5/1 HH
- 0.3/1 A18-49
*I had a request for this show's ratings on Twitter, but I don't know if it's worth tracking this thing on weekly basis... although enough Twitter nudges could make another Sherri/Rita Rocks out of it*

Sherri (10pm)
- 0.628 million viewers
- 0.5/1 HH
- 0.3/1 A18-49

Sherri (10:30pm)
- 0.584 million viewers
- 0.4/1 HH
- 0.3/1 A18-49

http://twitter.com/travisyanan

http://travisyanan.blogspot.com/

Note: Previous overnight ratings are available at Marc Berman’s Programmers Insider blog:

http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t...51/m/460103871
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page