Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Classy.

Always nice to have new members.

New? February...

If I felt Steve was classy, I would be classy in response to his death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72482 of 95517 Old 10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

New? February...

If I felt Steve was classy, I would be classy in response to his death.

February is nothing in comparison and you are clearly someone who is new to this thread which exists in it's own space on AVS.

If I felt your contributions were going to be anything worth reading now or in the future I wouldn't be putting you on ignore with all the rest of the members who can't form an idea that is only worth something on Twitter.

But that's the way it goes.

post #72483 of 95517 Old 10-05-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Steve Jobs just died?

Cancer sucks. :thumbdown:

It's not one of the original models from 1984, but my SE from 1987 years later is currently humming away with the Flying Toasters flapping across the screen. Steve was out by that point, but it's still based on his original.

It gave me the "Happy Mac" logo when it booted up....I don't think it's heard the news yet...

post #72484 of 95517 Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

It gave me the "Happy Mac" logo when it booted up....I don't think it's heard the news yet...

That's classy. Nice.
post #72485 of 95517 Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 161

Source: http://jmak.tumblr.com/post/9377189056

From the Apple IPhone4S unveiling (day before Jobs passed away):
post #72486 of 95517 Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
THURSDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are EDT. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - Charlie's Angels
9PM - Grey's Anatomy
10:01PM - Private Practice
11:35PM - Nightline (LIVE)
Midnight - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Antonio Banderas; educator "Science Bob" Pflugfelder; Jane's Addiction performs)

CBS:
8PM - The Big Bang Theory
8:31PM - How to Be a Gentleman
9PM - Person of Interest
10PM - The Mentalist
11:35PM - Late Show with David Letterman (Caroline Kennedy; dock-diving dogs; The Joy Formidable performs)
12:37AM - Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (Jason Schwartzman; Eliza Coupe)

NBC:
8PM - Community
8:30PM - Parks and Recreation
9PM - The Office
9:30PM - Whitney
10PM - Prime Suspect
11:35PM - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (Jack Black; Steve Martin; Owen Wilson; Aubrey Plaza; Blondie performs)
12:37AM - Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (Hugh Jackman; Rachel Bilson; Jeff the Brotherhood performs)
1:36AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Michelle Monaghan; musician J. Cole; Frightened Rabbit performs) SD

FOX:
8PM - The X-Factor (120 min.)

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Antiques Roadshow: Raleigh, NC (R)
9PM - The 'This Old House' Hour (Season Premiere)
10PM - Lords of the Gourd: The Pursuit of Excellence
(R)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Una Familia con Suerte
9PM - La Fuerza del Destino
10PM - Mujeres Asesinas

THE CW:
8PM - The Vampire Diaries
9PM - The Secret Circle

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Mi Corazón Insiste
9PM - Flor Salvaje
10PM - La Casa de al Lado

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Jason Sudeikis)
11:31PM - The Colbert Report (Green Beret Jason Amerine)

TBS:
After the MLB Playoffs - Conan (Ryan Reynolds; Simon Pegg; Kyle Kinane performs)
(R)

E!:
11PM - Chelsea Lately (Jane Lynch; comic Jen Kirkman; comic Josh Wolf; comic Bill Bellamy)
post #72487 of 95517 Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Thursday's Highlights: 'Prime Suspect' on NBC
By Los Angeles Times' 'Show Tracker' Blog - October 5th, 2011

[ALL TIMES LISTED ARE PACIFIC TIME]

HUNTING A KILLER: Tim Griffin and Maria Bello are homicide detectives in the crime drama Prime Suspect. A new episode arrives at 10 p.m. on NBC.

SERIES

Community:
While patrolling the campus, Chang (Ken Jeong) imagines himself in a noirish detective story. Michael K. Williams, Joel McHale, Chevy Chase and Gillian Jacobs also star in this new episode (8 p.m. NBC).

The Mentalist: Patrick (Simon Baker) and his colleagues are asked to help locate the kidnapped son of a former client (Kelli Williams) from his psychic days (10 p.m. CBS).

Austin City Limits: This new episode features performances by contemporary folk rockers Mumford & Sons and Flogging Molly (10 p.m. KVCR).

The League: The fantasy sports series returns for a new season with an episode titled The Lockout (10:30 p.m. FX).

After the Runway: This new companion series for Project Runway takes viewers behind the scenes and offers interviews with eliminated contestants (10:30 p.m. Lifetime).

SPECIALS

History of the World in Two Hours:
This new special is a fast-paced trip back in time tracing the Earth's history from its formation through the emergence of life, the rise of humanity and the growth of civilization, connecting it all to the current state of the world (9 p.m. History).

MOVIES

George Harrison: Living in the Material World: (2011)
Filmmaker Martin Scorsese's examination of the life of the legendary guitarist for the Beatles guitarist concludes (6:15 and 9 p.m. HBO).

SPORTS

Baseball: MLB Playoffs:
The Detroit Tigers visit the New York Yankees (5:30 p.m. TBS)
Hockey: The Philadelphia Flyers visit the Boston Bruins (4 p.m. VS); the Pittsburgh Penguins visit the Vancouver Canucks (7 p.m. VS).

College football: California visits Oregon (6 p.m. ESPN).

High school football: Oaks Christian visits Westlake Village (7:30 p.m. FSN).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...ct-on-nbc.html
post #72488 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Wow, Jobs and Shuttlesworth both in one day. "Jobbers" was no worse than any other ego-centric billionaire; RIP...

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #72489 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Hardly the NFL's fault. Fox doesn't have this problem. CBS just refuses to pad the schedule.

Exactly. CBS has been dealing with this for almost 10 years when they got back into covering the NFL and the late game start times were pushed back 15 minutes. It's not like this is a new problem.
post #72490 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

But only 40% of Americans (at most) have access to DVR's. The rest have to tune in and see their shows real-time, which means a lot of them either tune out or sit around waiting for their show/segment to come around. Sucks, but viewers of CBS shows on Sundays are used to this by now.

People still use VCRs and stand alone DVD burners for recording. I started time shifting my TV watching back in 1984 with a VCR. Even today with a VCR or DVD burner you can skip over commercials. You don't need a DVR for that. Back in the 90's I used several VCRs for recording and playback. The last thing I wanted to do was watch something live with commericals. Since every hour of TV programming has around 20 minutes of commericals that is a big savings of time by not having to watch the commercials.

In 2001 when I went HD that was a big priority for me. I was not going to go HD unless I could timeshift my TV watching. So I was able to get a couple of HiPix cards to timeshift my OTA HD watching. Although I wasn't able to timeshift my satellite HD watching until the HDTiVo came out in 2004.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #72491 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The weekly BCS poll starts this weekend so ESPN will start their weekly unveiling show this & every sunday @ 8:15pm.

Wonder why ABC has #3 oklahoma/#11 texas at noon meanwhile unranked ohio state/#14 nebraska (who just got thumped last week) is at 8:00pm.
That game will not do a great #....why dont they just flip the times of those 2 games ?

Is it a red river rivalry thing that they think fans will get too drunk/rowdy for an 8:00 start ? Just seems like wierd scheduling.

post #72492 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
A Sitcom Grows Up and Finds Its Identity
By Bill Carter, The New York Times - October 6th, 2011

It seems to be in the DNA of many of NBC’s most memorable comedies: they’re late bloomers.

Nobody thought much of “Cheers” or “Seinfeld” or “The Office” when they first hit the air. But once they found their voices, they found an audiences.

“Parks and Recreation,” seen at 8:30 p.m. on Thursdays, is halfway there. Judging by increasingly favorable critical comment, along with the endorsements on Internet sites and enthusiastic word of mouth, the four-year-old comedy has found its comic voice. The audience part still lags, though with NBC struggling to shore up much of its schedule, the still-modest ratings for “Parks and Rec” are the least of the network’s worries.

“That’s not the worst way to be described, the least of someone’s worries,” Amy Poehler said, with her high-pitched cackle of a laugh. She stars in the show as the unflinchingly earnest Leslie Knope, dedicated public servant in the fictional Pawnee, Ind. “I think there is a nice dovetailing of quality of show and people liking it and network supporting it,” Ms. Poehler said this week in a telephone interview. “It’s all coming together rather nicely.”

But there were some early rocky moments. The show came close to disappearing a few times. Twice its seasons were curtailed by network scheduling, and once it had to sit on the sidelines in the fall while another comedy tried to usurp its place in NBC’s lineup — and maybe its heart.

But now the signs are certainly promising: Ms. Poehler was nominated for an Emmy this year. Many critics couldn’t believe that a co-star, Nick Offerman, who plays the meat-loving libertarian Ron Swanson, wasn’t. The rest of the deep cast — Chris Pratt, Aziz Ansari, Aubrey Plaza, Adam Scott, Rob Lowe and Rashida Jones — is almost as celebrated, with many already breaking through in films, like Mr. Pratt’s turn as a central player in “Moneyball.”

For Michael Schur, who created the series with Greg Daniels, it all comes down to a simple formula: “It just takes a while.”

The creation of “Parks and Recreation” itself was something of a feint. Ben Silverman, who brought “The Office” to NBC as a producer before taking over the network’s entertainment division (and later leaving in 2009), asked Mr. Daniels to develop a spinoff of that comedy.

He and Mr. Schur set to work, not sure if they wanted to go the spinoff route at all, though Mr. Daniels said they came up with a few ideas. One would have taken the character on “The Office” played by Ed Helms and made him the head of a quirky family living in a cul-de-sac. Mr. Daniels wanted that to be, like “The Office,” another mockumentary, this one called “American Family,” which might have made life more complicated for a later mockumentary hit, ABC’S “Modern Family.”

What mainly changed the effort was Ms. Poehler. She and Mr. Schur were close from their days on “Saturday Night Live.” The chance to work with him again led Ms. Poehler to consider starring in a sitcom, a move that had not been in her plans. The only problem was, NBC wanted “Parks and Recreation” up and running fast and even dangled the opportunity to run the first episode after the 2009 Super Bowl (paired with “The Office”). But Ms. Poehler was pregnant.

“We gave up the post-Super Bowl spot in exchange for Amy,” Mr. Schur said. That, and more. The network had wanted 13 episodes that first season. Waiting for Ms. Poehler meant only six. “I call it the seasonette,” Ms. Poehler said. “It was a tiny amuse-bouche to the eventual meal that is ‘Parks and Recreation.’ ”

In retrospect, Mr. Schur said, “we dodged a bullet.” Going out in front of 20 million or more viewers with a quirky little comedy, one that wasn’t sure itself what it was yet, might have been disastrous for the show.

As it was, there was a lot of confusion. “People still thought we were a spinoff of ‘The Office,’ ” Ms. Poehler said. “We had to prove things we weren’t. We had to prove we weren’t a spinoff. We had to prove Leslie wasn’t trying to be Michael Scott. And that this wasn’t ‘Saturday Night Live.’ We had to prove all that.”

Mr. Schur said the comparison with Michael Scott, Steve Carell’s character on “The Office,” was probably inescapable. “I always said if we did a show about Masai warriors, the lead would be compared to Michael Scott.”

Certainly the mockumentary style encouraged that comparison. But Mr. Schur conceded the early Leslie Knope was not clearly delineated. “She came off as ditsy,” Mr. Schur said. “We intended her to be smart, just overly earnest.”

Then there was the issue of the hole. The original concept revolved around Leslie’s efforts to fill in a pit next to the home of her friend Ann (Ms. Jones). Mr. Schur said it was a misconception that the show was once supposed to be forever about the hole. But Mr. Daniels said, “Yes, that was the concept in the beginning.” In fact, he said, they toyed with the idea of naming the show “The Pit.”

The limitations of the idea quickly became apparent, Mr. Schur said, and the pit idea was dropped — filled in, really — early in Season 2. That was also the year the show came together, Mr. Schur said, citing specifically the season’s second episode, when Ron gets a hernia. Mr. Offerman’s comedic timing had the show’s fans buzzing.

Still, the show was hardly out of the woods. At the end of Season 2 Ms. Poehler was pregnant again. “I would like to make it clear that this pregnancy did not interfere with our schedule at all,” she said, and production continued at the end of the second season to get a jump on the third. The only problem was, NBC decided to keep “Parks and Recreation” off the fall schedule.

The official rationale was that the network needed to introduce new comedy. In truth, said a senior NBC executive at the time who did not want to be quoted criticizing one of the shows, it was felt that “Parks and Rec” would never be successful enough to sell in syndication, making it a less attractive investment for the network, which also owns the series. The decision unsettled the cast and creators. Ms. Poehler called it “a treacherous time.” “The thought of them not getting on the air was so horrible we decided just not to think about that,” she said. “We just kind of, in the Midwestern way, went back to work.”

Again adversity wound up providing opportunity. Cutting the season back to 16 episodes from the traditional 22 allowed Mr. Schur and the writers time to come up with an outside project they had been mulling: a mock guidebook to Pawnee. The project, with Leslie Knope credited as author, was published by Hyperion Books last week.

And when the comedy NBC embraced that fall, “Outsourced,” had its own issues with not blooming fast enough, NBC pulled it at midseason from the slot after “The Office” and gave “Parks and Rec” a shot there.

“The show had been designed from the first to run there,” Mr. Daniels said. And that’s where “Parks and Rec” has drawn its best ratings to date. (This season it was moved back to 8:30.) More important, it started winning converts. “We hear about how many people are DVR-ing it and saying, I’m going to catch up to it,” Ms. Poehler said.

Mr. Schur said of the show’s climb, “I think it’s a great thing. Nothing in my experience is worse than high expectations.”

PARKS AND RECREATION
NBC, Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT (7:30 p.m. Central)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/ar...ref=television
post #72493 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Sports
Baseball still takes back seat to NFL
By Christine Brennan, USA Today - October 6th, 2011

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig went to the Milwaukee Brewers playoff game Sunday, which should come as no surprise since he once owned the team. While there, he also found himself doing what most other sports fans were doing over the weekend: keeping an eye on an NFL game.

"We were head to head," Selig said in a phone interview Wednesday. "I was watching our game at Miller Park, and the Packers game was on all over, so I knew what was going on. I was also watching the Yankee-Detroit game. But, sure, I was keeping up with the game in Green Bay. I'm a director of the Packers. I love the game. I'm a pro football fan."

Aren't we all?

It is at this time of year that America's identity as a football nation comes most clearly into focus. Nothing proves the point more succinctly than this bit of news reported by USA TODAY's Michael Hiestand: Fox's NFL pregame show Sunday received a bigger overnight rating than any of TBS' baseball playoff games through the weekend.

It's true. A football pregame show was watched by more people than either of the first two Yankees-Tigers postseason games. Or any of the other series, which included the big-market Phillies and Rangers.

It appears that we're not just a nation of football fans, but also a nation that has decided to make a day of it with the NFL. Or merely a bunch of fantasy players and bettors needing lots of final information before kickoff. How else do we explain more people choosing to watch a show setting up the day in pro football than choosing to watch any of the real games meaningful, interesting, important postseason baseball games?

"Can I explain that to you? No," Selig said. "I'm not sure why that is. We've had four games a day, so we're asking a lot of the fans. Remember, we're on cable for this round. But I'll say this: If I take all the evidence today our attendance, what we're doing on the Internet, our gross revenue I'm very satisfied. Baseball is more popular than ever."

As Selig noted, the Brewers, who drew more than 3 million fans this year while winning the National League Central, were playing at the same time as the Packers. Green Bay's game against Denver turned into a 49-23 Packers rout. The Brewers also ended up winning big, 9-4, against Arizona. If I had had to guess, I would have said the TV ratings in Milwaukee for the two games would have been about equal, considering the Packers were early in their season, while the Brewers were in a crucial, best-of-five postseason series.

It wasn't even close. The Packers attracted 44.1% of the households in Milwaukee, the Brewers just 20.3%.

Americans are big-event fans now more than ever, and the NFL has intelligently marketed itself as the ultimate big deal. Either that or we just can't seem to find TBS and TNT with the remote. There's a hide-and-seek aspect to finding these early MLB playoff games that simply doesn't exist when turning on the NFL.

Perhaps it's also just too many games at too many unusual times for a normal fan to digest.

"If you're on the West Coast, you're turning on the ballgames only to find out they started several hours ago," said David M. Carter, executive director of the University of Southern California Sports Business Institute and author of Money Games. "Some of these games can be pretty difficult to catch. Think about the NFL playoffs. They tend to mimic the regular-season schedule time-frame-wise with afternoon and evening games. The postseason baseball schedule, however, isn't always what we are accustomed to."

The old complaints that baseball is too methodical for our impatient, video-game society still apply, of course. But one would think people who love sports would put that aside for the postseason, especially this year after last Wednesday's compelling wild-card drama on the final day of the regular season.

"People say baseball is slow," Selig said. "I don't think it's slow at all. It builds. Only baseball could produce Wednesday night. Only baseball could write that script. Going back and forth between games, it couldn't have been more fun."

All you football fans will have to take his word for it.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...ans/50671798/1
post #72494 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Business Notes
BBC Slashes Budget By $1B a Year, Cuts 2,000 Jobs, Scales Back U.S. Imports
By Tim Adler, Deadline.com - October 6th, 2011

The BBC has slashed its budget for foreign TV imports such as AMC's Mad Men and Danish thriller The Killing, which was a hit for the broadcaster. Budget cuts announced this morning mean that talent may also quit for rival channels because the BBC cannot afford them. Mark Thompson, BBC director general, said in London that the BBC will cut its budget by around $1 billion a year by 2016/17. Around 2,000 of the broadcaster's 17,000-strong workforce will lose their jobs - 9% of employees. It is thought half of the redundancies will come from BBC News. The Beeb also plans to move out of its west London headquarters, possibly knocking down its huge offices and maybe sell the land to Chelsea soccer club, which has been looking for a new home.

The Corporation, which, in economic terms matches the size of the British film industry, is cutting its budget by 20% to $5.4 billion a year for six years. Last October the Beeb rushed into what many saw as a hastily-agreed deal with the UK government, agreeing to have its state grant cut by 16%. Plus the BBC is looking to divert 4% of the money it currently spends into programming and technology rather than on back-office operations. In 2010's UK government spending review, the BBC licence fee - the compulsory tax which everybody must pay was frozen at $225 per head until 2016-17.

Much of what Thompson announced this morning seems like good sense. Rival TV broadcasters complain that the BBC has far too much freedom to map what they do already. Anything the private sector does, the BBC can ape using billions of public money, they complain. Thompson has stopped short of scrapping any individual channels or services. Rather, he has trimmed round the edges: BBC2, the BBC's second channel for more offbeat shows, will scrap most of its afternoon programming; there will be more TV drama repeats; and some local radio stations will share shows outside breakfast and drive-time hours. Big outside broadcast events from pop festivals such as Glastonbury will be scaled back. The BBC has been criticised for the amount of money it squanders staging these outside broadcasts for its pop radio channels.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/bbc-...k-u-s-imports/
post #72495 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Is it a red river rivalry thing that they think fans will get too drunk/rowdy for an 8:00 start ? Just seems like wierd scheduling.

Both schools are about 200 miles from Dallas. An early PM start time makes the most sense.
post #72496 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Dish Network wants subscribers to swap free Starz for Cinemax
By Joe Flint, Los Angeles Times' 'Company Town' Blog - October 5th, 2011

It looks like Dish Network is trying to make peace with pay cable channel Starz at the expense of Cinemax.

Earlier this year, Starz sued Dish after the satellite broadcaster started offering the channel free for one year to subscribers as part of a promotion. Now, Dish is pushing its 14 million subscribers to trade in their last three months of free Starz for free Cinemax.

The move by the satellite broadcaster comes one month after Starz said it would no longer make its content, including original shows and theatrical movies from Disney and Sony, available to Netflix. Distributors such as Dish are wary of Netflix and see it as a direct competitor. The decision to give Starz away for a year was seen by many industry observers as retribution for Starz's then cozy relationship with Netflix.

Whether the Starz for Cinemax offer will score Dish brownie points with Starz remains to be seen. A Dish spokesman said the legal battle between the two is ongoing.

There may not be many takers for Dish's offer. Cinemax does not have near the amount of original programming as Starz and the theatrical movies it carries have already run on sister service HBO.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...e-cinemax.html
post #72497 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Conan O'Brien drops by "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" to pick up something he forgot (video): http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....rien-drops-by/.
post #72498 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV/Critic's Notes
New broadcast channels offer reasons to pull plug on cable
By Aaron Barnhart, Kansas City Star

Imagine, for a moment, the unthinkable: Your cable goes out.

While you're waiting for the repair truck, you decide to have your TV set scan for any over-the-air signals in the area.

And that's when you get a surprise.

No fewer than 20 channels are flying through the Kansas City airwaves. Two were added in September alone. They feature an increasingly diverse range of programs: old-time TV shows and movies, lifestyle, cooking, home improvement, sports and programs aimed at minority audiences and kids, as well as educational, cultural, informational and inspirational offerings.

Sounds like cable, but these channels are free for the taking. They're broadcast stations. Their signals emanate from the same towers as Kansas City's ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox affiliates.

And as viewers find themselves making tough choices with their household budgets, these new stations are making what was once unthinkable to many life without cable a more appealing option.

As people cord-cut, they are going to be pleased to find those little rabbit ears they kept in the attic bring them some pretty good shows, said Mike Ruggiero, whose Indiana-based firm, ATV Broadcast, helped launch many of these channels.

They have names like Me-TV, Antenna TV and Create. They are heavily promoted on the bigger stations that brought them to town. But many viewers discover them by accident.

Joe Ryan of Olathe found them when he dropped his cable a year ago.

I realized I wasn't watching a lot of the channels that Comcast offered, Ryan said.

Like many cord-cutters, Ryan decided to keep his broadband service. He uses Netflix, Hulu and other online services to stream TV shows and movies. The free broadcast offerings were an unexpected bonus.

As a fan of old horror and sci-fi movies, he watches the long-running Svengoolie on Me-TV, operated locally by KMBC at Channel 9-2.

Most of the time when I have the TV on, it's background noise, Ryan said. So this has worked out all right.

Early signs are that the new stations are working out well for broadcasters, too.

Antenna TV, which is licensed locally to WDAF and airs at Channel 4-2, features some of the most popular comedies of the 1970s, including Good Times, All in the Family and Sanford and Son, as well as chestnuts such as Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Antenna TV also airs Atlantic Coast Conference football games. It's carried on all local cable lineups, which boosts its visibility.

In the eight months Antenna TV has been on the air, its ratings have grown to the point that it is matching or beating those of some primary stations in town like KSMO and KMCI, according to WDAF's Carrie Hibbeler.

(It) does better than many cable networks, Hibbeler said. Audiences stay and return for more.

Two years ago, local TV stations were required to switch from analog to digital, or DTV, broadcasting. DTV is better known for its ability to transmit high-definition video, but it also allows a station to divide its signal into multiple channels. KCPT was the first and for years the only local station to do this.

Since the federally mandated switchover in 2009, however, local stations have been ramping up their multicast offerings. Most broadcasters have enough digital bandwidth for one high-definition channel that's where the big network affiliate goes, like KMBC at 9-1 and up to two additional channels in standard definition, such as Me-TV at 9-2.

Last week KSMO added Bounce, aimed at African-American viewers, on Channel 62-2. Bounce will initially be heavy on classic movies such as Do the Right Thing and The Wiz, plus live sporting events featuring teams from historically black universities. Over time, it hopes to develop its own shows. Bounce's ownership team includes Martin Luther King III and former U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young.

We're here to serve the community, said Bounce president Ryan Glover, a former cable executive. There are 26 different networks targeting the Hispanic audience with 60 different channels. There are millions of African-American households with two channels aimed at them.

Also signing on in September was Live Well Network (Channel 38-2), with home, cooking, travel and lifestyle programs aimed at female viewers. Owned by the ABC network, it features a lineup of shows not available on other local or cable channels.

Mike Vrabac is general manager of KSHB and KMCI, which is carrying Live Well. His employer, E.W. Scripps Co., also owns cable channels HGTV and Food Network. He sees multicast channels such as Live Well as a decent cable-lite substitute for families on a budget.

As homes decide not to subscribe to dish or cable, they are getting a lot more content today, Vrabac said.

But what if you like your cable? Vrabac said the station has included Live Well in its contracts with local cable companies, essentially demanding that the new channel be carried along with KSHB, KMCI and KSHB's 24-hour weather channel at 41-2.

Time Warner added Live Well last week to its digital cable tier at channel 965. A Comcast spokesman said he didn't know when Live Well would be added to its local systems.

Some 46 million Americans use over-the-air TV exclusively, and another 20 million homes with cable or satellite have TVs in their bedrooms or basements that aren't hooked up to it.

Dennis Wharton of the National Association of Broadcasters expects those numbers to grow.

Young adults are cutting out the pay-TV middleman, Wharton said. They're watching TV one of two ways: live, over-the-air on their local stations or with DVRs or Hulu.

Take Sarah and Shea McGinnity, new parents living in Waldo. They pulled the plug on cable 2 1/2 years ago.

We decided we were going to concentrate on paying off debt, Sarah McGinnity said. Also, we were just married and didn't want to be stuck in front of the TV. We got an HD antenna for $20 which we still have and we got Netflix.

For people wanting to stay up on the latest TV shows, however, the new channels don't offer much, said Matt Derrick of Time Warner Cable.

The (new) channels are great for viewers but really supplement what's available on cable rather than replace, Derrick said.

Besides, broadcasters need cable to spread the word about these channels. In Kansas City, 80 percent of households use cable or satellite, so without cable carriage, a new service like Live Well will be easy to find only for viewers in the 20 percent of homes that rely on rabbit ears.

Availability on our channel lineup has been critical to their launches, Derrick said.

While broadcasters wait for viewers to find these new channels, the owners keep their costs low. Jeffrey Wolf, who's in charge of distribution for Bounce, said the channel will rely on movies and live sporting events for now.

Eventually, though, Bounce will produce original shows aimed at black audiences ages 25 to 54.

For the TV station, adding a second channel is relatively cheap, because most of the equipment was bought when the station made its DTV upgrade. With startup costs of just $100,000, Live Well is instantly profitable, Vrabac said.

But don't expect the number of multicast channels to climb much higher. There's not a lot of available space on local airwaves, and much of it is spoken for by the stations' parent companies.

The new cable'

If you pulled the plug on your cable or satellite service and put up rabbit ears assuming your TV set was DTV-ready or hooked up to a converter box you would have access to 19 entertainment and information channels, including local news, weather and sports. A 20th station, Univision affiliate KUKC at 26-1, broadcasts a low-power signal that may not reach all antennas.

While some satellite customers do switch over to antenna mode to watch local TV stations, most people don't, which is why broadcasters are trying to get these channels onto cable lineups.

But anyone with a digital antenna can access these digital subchannels (if you currently use an antenna, you may have to re-scan to have some of the newer channels added to your lineup).

4-1: Fox (WDAF)

4-2: Antenna TV (classics)

5-1: CBS (KCTV)

9-1: ABC (KMBC)

9-2: Me-TV (classics)

19-1: KCPT

19-2: KCPT2

19-3: Create (lifestyle)

29-1: CW (KCWE)

29-2: ThisTV (classics)

38-1: 38 the Spot

38-2: Live Well (lifestyle)

41-1: NBC (KSHB)

41-2: NBC Weather Plus

50-1: Ion

50-2: Qubo (Kids)

50-3: Inspiration

62-1: KSMO

62-2: Bounce (African-American)

Note: Many antennas pick up additional stations from St. Joseph (2-1 and 16-1 through 16-5).

The Star's Annie Greenberg contributed to this report. Read more from Aaron Barnhart at TVBarn.com.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/03...ffer-more.html
post #72499 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Critic's Notes
Thursday's returning comedies deliver the laughs
By Robert Bianco, USA Today - October 6th, 2011

Sometimes for successful sitcoms, the stars align.

They clearly have at Thursday's funniest comedy, CBS' The Big Bang Theory (Thursdays, 8 ET/PT, ★★★½ out of four), which launched its new season with a well-earned second-straight Emmy win for Jim Parsons. But things also seem to be looking up at NBC's lone sitcom hit, The Office (Thursdays, 9 ET/PT, ★★★), and no one much expected that.

After all, this is a series entering its eighth season, when many sitcoms start running on fumes. That's not the point where you generally want to have to replace your star, as TheOffice has, thanks to the departure of Steve Carell.

The show's clever and so-far-successful solution was to double-down on its replacement bet. James Spader took over for Carell as the show's star, playing the company's new CEO, Robert California, while Ed Helms' Andy has moved into Carell's old office as the new office manager.

It's something for everyone. Those who enjoyed Carell now have Spader, whose character shares a similar lack of proper socialization and whose performance is similarly detached. And for those who never cared for Carell's take on the Office manager, Helms' Andy is just as funny and far more sympathetic. Andy is just the kind of sweet, almost-competent manager you can picture workers rallying around, as they have.

Even with Office improvements, Community is still NBC's better bet for both warmth and humor. But a show that had felt played out now has new life, and for a network in desperate need of good news, that's good news indeed.

The better news, of course, for CBS is that Big Bang didn't need that kind of overhaul to succeed. It's doing now what it has done from the start: produce tight, funny little weekly plays that play off its blissfully idiosyncratic characters' efforts to cope with everyday life.

While still showcasing its two terrific stars — Parsons and Johnny Galecki —Bang has expanded the roles of two well-integrated additions: Mayim Bialik as Amy and Melissa Rauch as Bernadette. Some of the characters work better together than others (last week's Leonard/Amy plot felt a little forced), but that kind of combination experimentation is precisely what a long-running show needs to stay vital.

And really, who wouldn't line up for a little more vitality these days?

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...ice/50673304/1
post #72500 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
Dish Network wants subscribers to swap free Starz for Cinemax
By Joe Flint, Los Angeles Times' 'Company Town' Blog - October 5th, 2011

It looks like Dish Network is trying to make peace with pay cable channel Starz at the expense of Cinemax.

Earlier this year, Starz sued Dish after the satellite broadcaster started offering the channel free for one year to subscribers as part of a promotion. Now, Dish is pushing its 14 million subscribers to trade in their last three months of free Starz for free Cinemax.

The move by the satellite broadcaster comes one month after Starz said it would no longer make its content, including original shows and theatrical movies from Disney and Sony, available to Netflix. Distributors such as Dish are wary of Netflix and see it as a direct competitor. The decision to give Starz away for a year was seen by many industry observers as retribution for Starz's then cozy relationship with Netflix.

Whether the Starz for Cinemax offer will score Dish brownie points with Starz remains to be seen. A Dish spokesman said the legal battle between the two is ongoing.

There may not be many takers for Dish's offer. Cinemax does not have near the amount of original programming as Starz and the theatrical movies it carries have already run on sister service HBO.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...e-cinemax.html

I still don't understand the problem on Starz' end. Are they not being paid for all these subs? Is it the perception that it's a free channel and people will think they shouldn't have to pay for it when the trial ends?
post #72501 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

The weekly BCS poll starts this weekend so ESPN will start their weekly unveiling show this & every sunday @ 8:15pm.

Wonder why ABC has #3 oklahoma/#11 texas at noon meanwhile unranked ohio state/#14 nebraska (who just got thumped last week) is at 8:00pm.
That game will not do a great #....why dont they just flip the times of those 2 games ?

As far as a I can remember the Red River Shootout has always been a day game. But I seem to recall it used to start 2 or 3 hours later in the afternoon. Its on at 10 AM in my time zone, so I guess I'll get up and see some Saturday morning football. Also, the Cotton Bowl seems to have been on very early on New Years Day the last few years.

BTW Dallas is about 3 hours drive from College Station (err Austin ) and about the same from Norman, OK. So a mid afternoon game makes the most sense, fans can drive there see the game and drive home without needing to stay a night.
post #72502 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No political comments, please (very sensitive topic).

TV Notes
ESPN fires Hank Williams Jr., who claims he quit
By Mike Florio, NBC Sports.com's 'PFT' Blog - October 6th, 2011

Though ESPN’s decision to yank Hank Williams, Jr. from the opening theme music to Monday Night Football initially seemed to be a one-week suspension, it’s a little more permanent than that.

OK, it’s a lot more permanent than that.

ESPN has parted ways with Williams. The network announced the decision on Thursday, via John Ourand of SportsBusiness Journal.

“We have decided to part ways with Hank Williams, Jr.,” ESPN said in a statement. “We appreciate his contributions over the past years. The success of Monday Night Football has always been about the games and that will continue.”‬‬

Hank, of course, sees it differently. He claims that he has pulled his song from the show. Says Hank on his website: “After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision. By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You [ESPN] stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment, Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run.”

Um, right. Hank apologized on Tuesday in the hopes of keeping the only thing that has kept him relevant for the last 25 years. And now that he’s being pushed, he’s trying to make it look like he jumped.

The sad part is that plenty of people will believe that Hank wasn’t fired, and that he actually did quit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-quit/related/
post #72503 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've thought the Hank Williams opening has been out of place since ESPN abandoned the Hollywood approach to MNF (carried over from ABC) and went back to pure sports broadcasting. Good riddance to that terrible song. It's incredible to believe that the true MNF theme has taken a back seat to that garbage for some 25 years, and here's hoping ABC opts not to hire another musician to embarass themselves every Monday night. Just stick to the orchestral theme.
post #72504 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

WEDNESDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media INsight's Blog.
post #72505 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
Fox edges CBS and ABC on Wednesday
Averages a 3.5 18-49 rating, led by 'The X Factor's' 3.9
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - October 6th, 2011

With a 90-minute edition of "The X Factor" last night, Fox edged out CBS and ABC on what's becoming one of the tightest nights on broadcast.

Fox averaged a 3.5 adults 18-49 rating and 10 share in primetime, according to Nielsen overnights, with CBS in second with a 3.3/9 and ABC a close third at 3.2/9.

"Factor" drew a 3.9 rating from 8 to 9:30 p.m., holding 95 percent of last week's audience for a two-hour edition of the show.

Though "Factor" continues to post ratings below where many media people had expected, the show's ratings have slipped minimally since its premiere two weeks ago, and the reality singing competition has helped Fox to three straight Wednesday wins.

But it has strong competition from CBS and ABC on Wednesdays. CBS's "Criminal Minds" was the night's No. 3 show with a 3.8 rating at 9 p.m., and the relocated "CSI" at 10 p.m. won its timeslot for the second straight week with a 2.9.

ABC had the night's top show once again with "Modern Family," which averaged a 5.6 at 9 p.m. Lead-in "Suburgatory" held up well after last week's surprisingly strong premiere, averaging a 3.0, off 9 percent from last Wednesday and ABC's No. 2 show of the night.

ABC's 10 p.m. drama "Revenge" slipped again to a 2.5, though it still placed a solid second in the timeslot.

On NBC, the new comedy "Up All Night," which received a full-season order on Tuesday, was one of the night's few shows to grow from the previous week, up 5 percent to a 2.2 at 8 p.m.

Lead-out "Free Agents," seen as one of the new shows most likely to be canceled, held steady to last week's dismal rating with another 1.0.

Meanwhile, with Fox, CBS and ABC well out ahead, Univision finished fourth for the night at 1.7/4, NBC fifth at 1.6/4, CW sixth at 0.6/2 and Telemundo seventh at 0.4/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback. Seven-day DVR data won't be available for several weeks. Forty-two percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

At 8 p.m. Fox was first with a 3.7 for "Factor," followed by CBS with a 3.1 for "Survivor." ABC was third with a 2.9 for "The Middle" (2.7) and "Suburgatory" (3.0), Univision fourth with a 1.8 for "Una Familia con Suerte," NBC fifth with a 1.6 for "Night" (2.2) and "Agents" (1.0), and CW and Telemundo tied for sixth at 0.4, CW for "H8R" and Telemundo for "Mi Corazon Insiste."

ABC took the lead at 9 p.m. with a 4.2 for "Family" (5.6) and "Happy Endings" (2.9), with CBS second with a 3.8 for "Criminal Minds." Fox was third with a 3.3 for the end of "Factor" (4.3) and a special edition of "Raising Hope" (2.3), Univision fourth with a 1.9 for "La Fuerza del Destino," NBC fifth with a 1.2 for "Harry's Law," CW sixth with a 0.8 for "America's Next Top Model" and Telemundo seventh with a 0.4 for "Flor Salvaje."

At 10 p.m. CBS was first with a 2.9 for "CSI," while ABC slipped to second with a 2.5 for "Revenge." NBC was third with a 2.1 for "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," Univision fourth with a 1.3 for "Rosa de Guadalupe" and Telemundo fifth with a 0.5 for "La Casa de al Lado."

CBS finished first for the night among households with a 7.2 average overnight rating and an 11 share. Fox was second at 5.9/9, ABC third at 5.6/9, NBC fourth at 4.5/7, Univision fifth at 1.8/3, CW sixth at 1.0/2 and Telemundo seventh at 0.7/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...-Wednesday.asp
post #72506 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post

I record the 8 and 9 PM Central CBS shows and have solved the game length problem by simply extending the 9 PM recording by an hour. So far this has been enough padding.

That works ... until you run into unresolvable conflicts with two shows @ 9PM (ET.)
post #72507 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Hardly the NFL's fault. Fox doesn't have this problem. CBS just refuses to pad the schedule.

In 2011 perhaps ... In the early days of FOX-NFL, they were the worst offender ... by far. It was so bad that I eventually stopped trying to watch anything on FOX/Sundays. If they eventually wised up, it was too late.
post #72508 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

In 2011 perhaps ... In the early days of FOX-NFL, they were the worst offender ... by far. It was so bad that I eventually stopped trying to watch anything on FOX/Sundays. If they eventually wised up, it was too late.

Fox stopped programming original programming in the 7/6C hour in the fall of 2006, padding out the hour with The OT. They are scheduled to move The Cleveland show to 7:30 starting Oct. 30th, but I'm assuming they are only going to schedule the show on evenings that they don't have the doubleheader.

Rocky
post #72509 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can thank Fox's football pre-emptions for the premature cancellation, cult-like following, booming DVD sales and now Comedy Central revival of "Futurama," the early evening Sunday Fox show that took the brunt of pre-emptions and missed scheduled air dates. CBS feels it'd rather delay the whole evening than pre-empt valuable primetime real state like "60 Minutes" (crappy 18-49 demos but wealthy demographics and large audience all-around) and "The Amazing Race." It's the 9 and 10PM shows that end up suffering viewership erosion as their start times edge closer to bedtime. I mean, seriously, who wants to watch "CSI: Miami" starting at 10:40PM on a Sunday?
post #72510 of 95517 Old 10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
NBC Cancels 'Free Agents'
By Lesley Goldberg and Philiana Ng, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - October 6th, 2011

NBC has canceled freshman comedy Free Agents.

The workplace comedy starring Hank Azaria and Kathryn Hahn failed to gain traction in its Wednesday at 8:30 p.m. slot against competition that included Fox’s X Factor and CBS’ Survivor.

No decision has been made on what will replace Free Agents. Last night's episode will be the series' final airing. The news comes after the half-hour sitcom drew anemic numbers in its most recent outing, averaging 3.3 million viewers and a 1.0 rating among adults 18-49.

In its Sept. 14 preview following Up All Night at 10:30 p.m., the Universal Television series premiered to 6.3 million and a 2.1 rating.

Airing two hours earlier the following week in its regular time period – where it faced competition from the series premiere of Fox’s Simon Cowell singing competition The X Factor and CBS’ Survivor -- the series tumbled 38 percent in the demo, attracting 3.9 million total viewers.

In an effort to drum up business for the series, Azaria took to his Twitter page and encouraged fans to tune in.

"Hey kids, please watch Free Agents this Wednesday at 8:30. I fear it may be your last chance!!" he tweeted Monday.

He continued the "do or die" campaign throughout the week, encouraging fans "to be part of TV history by saving this funny smart show," and call NBC if they liked what they saw.

NBC also canceled freshman drama The Playboy Club, while the network under new entertainment topper Robert Greenblatt renewed rookie comedies Up All Night and Whitney.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-agents-243753
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page