Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #77461 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Not to be lurking, but I'm enjoying reading this Walmart topic.

I sort of see a whole fiasco with the customers of Walmart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77462 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 64
What caught my eye in latest posts

Encyclopaedia - > Encyclopedia (unless is spelled differently in Britain)

Ashley Judd back on the screen.. nice... I love her acting..

My favorite CBS shows renewed.. woo hoo.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #77463 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Ashley Judd back on the screen.. nice... I love her acting..

My favorite CBS shows renewed.. woo hoo.

Ha. Yippie!
post #77464 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

It's the way the company spells it across the pond.
post #77465 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Technology Notes
Aereo Hands-On: Watch Broadcast TV Wherever and Whenever You Want
By Mario Aguilar, Gizmondo.com - Mar. 14, 2012

The new cloud-based, broadcast TV recording service Aereo just went live in New York City. It was sued by major broadcasters even before it was available, and with good reason: We took the service for a spin and it's good enough to make that cable contract feel even more useless.

For $12 per month, Aereo will serve as your web-based DVR for any channel you can get for free over the airwaves. There's no need for a special box or a cable contracteverything is controlled over Aereo's easy web interface.

If you live in New York City, head over to Aereo and request an account. Aereo is handing out invites on a rolling basis. You should expect to have an account within a few days of your request. Once you're in, Aereo offers 90 days of free service to new customers. (If you don't live in New York, you can't access the service yet.) When you login, it uses your device's connection to determine if you're in the viewing area. If you are, you can access video content. An Aereo rep told us that they're "not discussing other markets at the moment."

Set up a Device

I was able to use Aereo easily on both my MacBook Pro and my iPhone. According to Aereo, the service works with iOS devices, Roku, AppleTV and MacBooks. Support for Android devices is on the way as well. If you've never set up Aereo on the device you're using, the service will prompt you to create a profile for it. Each account can be used on up to five devices. On computers, the service only works in Safari but support for other browsers is coming as well.

Interface

Once you're set up, the Aereo home screen shows links to featured content, your recordings, and a channel guide that shows you what's on and what's coming on later. Links can connect Aereo to Facebook or Twitter, and links operate a search feature and open the account settings.

Recording TV on Aereo

Click "record" for particular program, and you'll the same options you're used to seeing on a DVR. You can record it just this one time, schedule it to record all upcoming new episodes, or every single episode that goes on the air. If the show you want to record is already on, you can only record from that moment onso if you missed the beginning, Aereo won't magically record it from the past. Your Aereo account gives you two web-based antennas, which means you can only record two different channels simultaneously.

Watching TV on Aereo

There are two ways to watch TV on Aereo. You can either watch live TV on over 20 broadcast channels, or you can watch the shows you've recorded. Aereo lets you store up to 40 hours of recorded TV and you can watch it anywhere in your area as long as you've got an internet connection. The quality of the streams is pretty goodnot HD, but totally watchable on my 25-inch monitor.

Is It Worth It?

It depends on how you're going to use it. If you want to record your favorite news broadcast or sports, Aereo is a godsend. It's impossible to get this content without cable or expensive sports streaming packages. On the other hand, if all you're interested in is a look at primetime network shows, Hulu is a better deal at just $8 a month. That said, Hulu doesn't have absolutely every show and most of the content is delayed by at least a day.

Will It Last?

We've known from the very beginning that Aereo stands on shaky legal ground, but the service does seem to have a pretty good case for its existence: You're allowed to record TV for your personal use. So as long as Aereo is just recording it for you, and the TV is freely available anyway, Aereo is theoretically in the clear.

Broadcasters have already sued Aereo and you better believe they're going to fight the service as hard as they can. They paid a lot of money setting up deals with cable and online providers to provide you very similar on-demand services. They're not too happy that Aereo isn't paying them a dime for their content.

Aereo might not last forever, but we sure hope it does, because it's a pretty excellent option for people who hate cable.

http://gizmodo.com/5893248/aereo-han...never-you-want
post #77466 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
HBO cancels 'Luck'
By James Hibberd, EW.com's 'Inside TV' Blog - Mar. 14, 2012

HBO has decided to cancel production on Luck following the death of a third horse on the series.

The network released this statement:

“It is with heartbreak that executive producers David Milch and Michael Mann together with HBO have decided to cease all future production on the series Luck. Safety is always of paramount concern. We maintained the highest safety standards throughout production, higher in fact than any protocols existing in horseracing anywhere with many fewer incidents than occur in racing or than befall horses normally in barns at night or pastures. While we maintained the highest safety standards possible, accidents unfortunately happen and it is impossible to guarantee they won’t in the future. Accordingly, we have reached this difficult decision. We are immensely proud of this series, the writing, the acting, the filmmaking, the celebration of the culture of horses, and everyone involved in its creation.”

The first-year drama had already earned a second-season pickup, so production was underway on the second of 10 new episodes when a horse was injured and euthanized Tuesday at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif. The American Humane Association is investigating the set. The show’s final two episodes will still air.

Added Mann and Milch: “The two of us loved this series, loved the cast, crew and writers. This has been a tremendous collaboration and one that we plan to continue in the future.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/14/hbo-cancels-luck/
post #77467 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
What ever happened to the original cast of television's '21 Jump Street' ?
By Jacob E. Osterhout, New York Daily News - Mar. 14, 2012

In 1987, the fledgling Fox network first aired a crime drama focused on a squad of undercover cops investigating teenage crimes.

The show, 21 Jump Street, would run for four seasons before spawning a spinoff series, Booker, and launching the acting career of Johnny Depp, aka Officer Tom Hanson, into the stratosphere.

Nearly 25 years later, 21 Jump Street has been turned into a movie, albeit a comedy instead of a drama, starring Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum.

But whatever happened to the young stars of the original show, the ones who didn't end up achieving the same success as Depp?

Perhaps the second most famous member of the 21 Jump Street cast, Holly Robinson Peete, who played Sergeant Judy Hoffs, never made the leap from TV to the big screen, but has experienced modest success nonetheless.

She followed up 21 Jump Street by starring in the sitcom Hangin' With Mr. Cooper and marrying NFL quarterback Rodney Peete. More recently she was a co-host of the CBS daytime talk show The Talk and finished as runnerup in the third season of Celebrity Apprentice.

Despite being considered a rising star alongside Depp, Peter DeLuise, who played Officer Doug Penhall, struggled to achieve the notoriety of his co-star. The son of the late comedian Dom DeLuise made many guest appearances in shows like The Facts of Life and Friends before becoming a director of science fiction television shows.

The good news? He married the actress who played his girlfriend in 21 Jump Street. The bad news? They divorced in 1992.

Dustin Nguyen played Officer Harry Truman Ioki for 80 episodes of the show. The actor, who escaped Saigon in 1975 as the Communist forces invaded, was one of the few 21 Jump Street actors to make the leap to movies. Most notably, Nguyen created his own jewelry line (Imperial Rose Collections) and starred alongside Academy Award winner Cate Blanchett in Little Fish, which was the number one film in Australia upon its release.

And finally, Richard Grieco, who played Officer Dennis Booker and ended up with his own short-lived spinoff series, was last seen as a contestant on the reality show Gone Country 3.

Well, we can't all be Johnny Depp.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1034755
post #77468 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
What ever happened to the original cast of television's '21 Jump Street' ?
By Jacob E. Osterhout, New York Daily News - Mar. 14, 2012

Despite being considered a rising star alongside Depp, Peter DeLuise, who played Officer Doug Penhall, struggled to achieve the notoriety of his co-star. The son of the late comedian Dom DeLuise made many guest appearances in shows like The Facts of Life and Friends before becoming a director of science fiction television shows.

Holy crap, you can almost hear the derisive sneer that accompanied typing that statement.

post #77469 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Holy crap, you can almost hear the derisive sneer that accompanied typing that statement.

I agree, I had a similar thought when I read that.
post #77470 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recognized his name right off the bat as a director on Stargate: SG-1. I never realized he was on Jump Street...
post #77471 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post

I recognized his name right off the bat as a director on Stargate: SG-1. I never realized he was on Jump Street...

He's quite accomplished, definitely not lacking for work.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0217938/
post #77472 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

Well NBC may not be the only one to miss this boat. Anyone else who has NEVER seen this show besides me? Sounds like I am too far behind to catch up now.

What are you talking about? Now's the perfect time to get into Downton Abbey. It's out on Blu-ray!

If you watched them on PBS you wouldn't be getting the full episodes.

http://www.amazon.com/Masterpiece-Cl...dp/B004FM2ENU/

http://www.amazon.com/Downton-Abbey-...dp/B005Q1W0ZQ/
post #77473 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

Well NBC may not be the only one to miss this boat. Anyone else who has NEVER seen this show besides me? Sounds like I am too far behind to catch up now.

Definitely NOT too late, there's only been 16 episodes aired so far. I was a bit skeptical because I've never been a fan of period drama, but by the second episode I was hooked.
post #77474 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:

I liked the episodes of Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, and Stargate Universe he directed. As well as the Sanctuary episodes.

He also acted in Seaqest at some point after 21 Jumpstreet. I remember seeing him acting in alot of shows back then.

Not sure what his two brothers are doing though. They always showed up on a bunch of TV shows too.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #77475 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I liked the episodes of Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, and Stargate Universe he directed. As well as the Sanctuary episodes.

Considering how much work he gets and how much fun he seems to have on set I don't think he's regretting not being Johnny Depp.

post #77476 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Considering how much work he gets and how much fun he seems to have on set I don't think he's regretting not being Johnny Depp.

Certainly more famous that the one that wrote the article...
post #77477 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
What happened on Luck is a tragedy, and I honestly don't mean to sound cynical. I wonder if HBO saw this as an easy way to get out from under the early renewal of the low rated show?

It's not Deadwood, but I still watched if faithfully. (Although it took way too long to develop.)

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #77478 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Technology Notes
New iPad: A Polishing of the Old
By David Pogue, The New York Times - Mar. 15, 2012

On Friday, the new iPad goes on sale. Be sure to ask for it by name: the iPad.

Because if you ask for the iPad 3, the Apple representatives will look at you funny. Last year's model was called the iPad 2, but this third-generation model is just called the iPad. (Why not continue the numbering pattern? That would have been too predictable, says Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president for marketing.)

Really, the new iPad should have been called the iPad 2S. In the past, Apple added the letter S to iPhone models that weren't exactly new but had been tastefully enhanced (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S). That's exactly what's going on with the new iPad. Its technical improvements keep it at the forefront of desirability just ahead of the snapping jaws of its Android competition but don't take it in any new directions.

The biggest new feature is what Apple calls the Retina display: like the one on the iPhone 4S, it's a very, very sharp screen. It's four times as sharp as the iPad 2 in fact, it's the sharpest ever on a mobile device. This screen has 3.1 million pixels, which is 1 million pixels more than on a high-definition TV set. (At least Apple says that that's how many pixels it has; I quit counting after three days.)

In principle, that avalanche of pixels (and their increased color saturation) means that photos, videos, maps and text should look jaw-droppingly good and, in apps that have been rewritten for the new screen, they do. Apple's own apps, like Photos, Maps and iBooks, are just incredibly sharp and clear.

So are Apple's inexpensive, newly enhanced iPad apps iMovie, GarageBand, the Numbers spreadsheet and the Pages word processor. And as touch-screen apps go, the new iPhoto for iOS is a masterpiece.

But apps that haven't been rewritten don't benefit as much. In most apps, text is automatically sharpened, but not in all of them. After enjoying the freakishly sharp text in Mail and Safari, you'll be disappointed in the relatively crude type in, for example, the non-updated Amazon Kindle app. (Amazon says that a Retina-ready update is in the works.)

Similarly, high-definition videos look dazzling. This is the world's first tablet that can actually show you hi-def movies in full 1080p high definition. But Netflix's streaming movies don't come to the iPad in high definition (yet, says Netflix), so they don't look any better.

There's another price you'll pay for all this clarity, too: in storage. Tests performed by Macworld.com revealed that the graphics in Retina-ready apps consume two to three times as much of the iPad's nonexpandable storage than pre-Retina apps. To update their apps for the new display, software companies must redo their graphics at much higher resolution, which means much larger files.

(Worse, each app is usually written in single, universal version for all iPad models. So those apps will eat up the same extra space, pointlessly, on older iPads, too and even on iPhones, since many apps are written to run on both the tablet and the phone. In other words, iPhone owners, too, will wind up losing storage space because of this graphic-bloat ripple-down effect.)

The resolution revolution isn't the only change in the iPad That Shall Not Be Numbered. Another big change is 4G LTE.

That is, the cellular iPad models can now hop onto the very fast 4G wireless networks for data that Verizon and AT&T have built in big American cities.

(Apple has not changed the prices and configurations for the new iPad. The base model still costs $500, has only Wi-Fi and holds 16 gigabytes. The top-of-the-line model still costs $830, has 64 gigabytes of storage and can also get online via a cell network. You have to choose either the AT&T or the Verizon model, in that case, and pay a monthly fee $15 to $50 a month, no contract required. These iPads can also get online overseas, although only at 3G speeds; LTE uses different frequencies in other countries.)

Being on LTE flavor of 4G is really, really nice. Apps download quickly. Web pages appear fast. You don't have to wait for videos to load before they start playing. The Verizon iPads offer tethering a feature that converts that cellular Internet connection into a Wi-Fi hot spot so nearby laptops can now enjoy the same high Internet speeds. (AT&T says it's working to get tethering.)

My Verizon test unit got download speeds ranging from 6 to 29 megabits a second in San Francisco, Boston and New York in many cases, faster than home cable-modem service. According to tests by PC Magazine and others, AT&T's 4G network is smaller, but often faster. No doubt about it: life begins at 4G.

Now, 4G is a notorious battery hog. It scarfs down electricity like a football team at a hot dog eating contest.

Apple, however, was determined to keep the iPad's battery life unchanged from the last model: nine to 10 hours on a charge. In my all-day nonstop-usage test, it did manage nine hours.

To pull that off, Apple adopted a three-prong strategy. First, it developed or adopted components that use less power (Bluetooth 4.0, for example). Second, it came up with various software and circuitry tricks.

Third, it incorporated a fatter, heavier battery. The new iPad is one millimeter thicker, and 1.8 ounces heavier, than the iPad 2. It's a very slight difference, but fingers used to handling the old iPad will feel it, and that's too bad.

Interestingly, you can turn off the LTE antenna in the Settings app. Without that power hog, you'll probably get even better battery life.

So what else is new? A 5-megapixel back camera that takes far better photos than the iPad 2 did. (Which isn't saying much.) You can capture 1080p hi-def videos now, and a stabilization feature lends a hand when yours is shaky or moving.

A tiny microphone now appears on the on-screen keyboard. Tapping it lets you speak to type, exactly as on the iPhone 4S.

For most people, that's a huge blessing; typing on glass has never been a joyous activity. The recognition is fast and accurate, at least when you have a strong Internet connection (the transcription is actually performed by faraway servers).

Weirdly, though, speech-to-text is the only piece of Siri, Apple's smart voice-control software, that the new iPad inherits from the iPhone 4S. You don't get the rest of Siri's features: the ability to set alarms, send text messages, look up calendar appointments and snag facts from the Web just by asking out loud. That the full Siri isn't available smacks more of a marketing department holdback than technical limitations.

The world has changed since the iPad 2 came out. Stripped-down, smaller and far less magical rivals like the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet cost only $200. (That, probably, is why Apple still sells the iPad 2 at $100 less than the new models.)

Dozens of would-be iPads have come and, in many cases, gone. (Shall we have a moment of silence for the Hewlett-Packard TouchPad and the flailing BlackBerry PlayBook? Nah.)

But the surviving rivals still sell in minuscule numbers compared with the iPad, and that's not likely to change now.

The new iPad doesn't introduce anything that we haven't seen before, either in the iPhone or in rival tablets. There's no Steve Jobs one more thing moment here; Apple just took its white-hot iPad and added the latest screen, battery and cellular technologies.

If you're in the market for a tablet, here's the bright side: For the same price as before, you can now get an updated iPad that's still better-looking, better integrated and more consistently designed than any of its rivals.

And if you already have the iPad 2, here's an even brighter side: At least this time around, you don't have to feel quite as obsolete as usual.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/te...ref=technology
post #77479 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Sports
Where ESPN sideline star Erin Andrews might be headed next'
By Michael Hiestand, USA Today - Mar. 14, 2012

You're Erin Andrews and you're shopping.

Is ESPN still a good fit? What can other networks offer? Is focusing on sports even what you want anymore?

On-air types routinely work on contracts and Andrews, who mainly works college football and basketball as America's most famous sideline reporter, has finished the assignments in her two-year ESPN deal.

Now what? Lewis Kay, Andrews' publicist, says only that "Erin remains under contract with ESPN and will not be discussing any future plans at this time." ESPN's Mike Soltys says "we hope to renew her." Networks usually won't talk publicly about other networks' talent and ESPN's competitors have no comment on Andrews.

Andrews told USA TODAY two years ago she got "lots of offers to work in entertainment" before re-signing with ESPN, adding "the biggest reason I wanted to stay was because they'd expand my role." That included appearances on ABC's Good MorningAmerica and hosting the first hour of an expanded College GameDay.

Hmm, let's see. NBC has college football sidelines to roam for Notre Dame games and its rebranded NBC Sports Network cable channel, which could use star power to make its microscopic ratings visible to the human eye. It has the Today show. And oh yeah, NBC has Access Hollywood and the E! channel.

CBS has a (sparsely viewed) morning show, SEC football and college sports on its CBS Sports Network, whose sub-atomic ratings need help. After signing Jim Rome to add star power to various CBS platforms, CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus noted Rome's healthy Twitter following. But Andrews has about 456,000 more followers than Rome does.

Landing Andrews, like recruiting game-caller Gus Johnson from CBS, could help Fox's push into college football. Giving Andrews a segment on Fox's top-rated NFL pregame show seems like a no-brainer.

ESPN? Andrews isn't the only hot commodity whose contract is up. Michelle Beadle and Scott Van Pelt are among the others. And ESPN can be pragmatic in seeing hardly anyone as irreplacable. With all its airtime, ESPN presumably could create various hosting roles for Andrews. Or, Disney could make the ex-University of Florida basketball dance team member a co-host or judge on a show she's been on Dancing with the Stars. Then again, Andrews grew up in Florida hoping to become a SeaWorld trainer. No one has to give up on your dreams.

What's new: CBS/Turner's NCAA men's basketball tournament coverage, in a move to be announced Wednesday, will add Villanova coach Jay Wright and St. John's coach Steve Lavin as guest analysts. Wright, who joined CBS' New York studio last year, will appear in TruTV's Atlanta studio Wednesday through Friday; Lavin, an ex-ESPN analyst, will be on the New York studio show, which will appear on various channels, Saturday and Sunday.

Wright says he sees a lot of televised college basketball because he uses taped telecasts to scout games "and you get good information from announcers because you know they've talked to coaches." He adds he hopes he never has to go into broadcasting "although in the back of my mind I know I could."

Wright, on announcers he likes: "My favorite in terms of entertainment is Jay Bilas, Bill Raftery and Sean McDonough. I love them doing games. And everybody loves Dickie V. And a good guy coming on is Dan Dakich honest and insightful."

On tap: Taking a page from HBO shows that go behind the scenes with boxers preparing to fight on HBO, NBCSN will announce Wednesday that Fight Night 36: Zab Judah will debut March 21 (10:30 p.m. ET). In it, the Brooklyn boxer will be profiled before he fights Vernon Paris on NBCSN on March 24.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...terstitialskip
post #77480 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Legal Notes
Israel's Legal War: Can Reality TV Shows Be Copyrighted?
By Eriq Gardner, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Hollywood Esq.' Column - Mar. 14, 2012

Reality television is as popular as ever throughout the world.

So too are allegations of reality-show plagiarism. It's an epidemic so rampant that even the United Nations has gotten involved in offering to resolve disputes between a TV producer in one nation and another TV producer in another nation.

But not everyone around the world wants to entrust international mediators with figuring out what's fair and who's ripping off whom. Not in Israel, anyway. And so, Endemol, the Netherlands-based reality show production giant behind Big Brother, is currently involved in a significant case with the Israeli producers of an alleged "copycat" show entitled 24/7: The Next Generation, featuring strangers living together. Recently, the litigation in Israel has turned to the reality of protecting reality.

Endemol filed the lawsuit last December, claiming about $1 million in damages and requesting an injunction to shut down the Israeli show.

"Watching The Next Generation leaves an obvious impression of a conscious and blatant lifting of the Big Brother format – not to mention a deliberate and wrongful attempt on the part of the defendants to unlawfully rip-off Big Brother’s identity,” said Endemol in its complaint.

Since then, Israel’s Channel 10 and Abbot Reif Hameiri, the production company behind the "copycat" show, have responded forcefully to the claims.

The defendants reel off a litany of other reality shows including The Bachelor, Beauty and the Geek and Survivor, and wonder how Endemol can claim to have originated the concept of strangers being forced together into dramatic situations and love.

"It's REALITY," said the defendants in their response (which we've liberally translated from Hebrew). "Whose nature is not constant throughout the season, but runs in accordance with the progress of plot developments and feedback from viewers."

Channel 10 also ridicules Endemol's claims by pointing to MTV's breakthrough reality show, The Real World.

"The Real World is broadcast around the world and is in its 26th season," say the defendants. "It's one of the world's oldest reality TV shows and was a predecessor to Big Brother. It features many of the same elements: The lives of participants. Living in a condominium for several months. Shown relationships between participants. Filmed with multiple cameras for 24 hours a day. Filmed confessions."

The defendants say that while Endemol might be claiming 24/7 is an unlawful derivative of Big Brother, derivatives underpin the existence of reality television in the first place. One can't claim ownership over this type of reality television format, they say, without laying stake to the interactions among people in real life that serve as fodder for reality TV cameras.

Local lawyers in Israel say they are watching the case closely.

"This lawsuit could set a precedent in Israeli copyright laws concerning television formats and could reveal behind-the-scenes industry secrets," writes Tel Aviv-based attorney Ariel Dubinsky. "Titleholders of this television format have succeeded in developing a formula that has been effective in convincing potential buyers that the format is protected by copyright, even though this issue is not so cut-and-dried."

The last significant international dispute on the reality TV front was a case where Endemol was on the other side -- a defendant in a lawsuit brought by a Japanese broadcaster over ABC's Wipeout.

In that case, Endemol pointed out TV's long history of obstacle-course competitions and argued that the Japanese plaintiff "remarkably claims copyright protection in obstacles and obstacle concepts ubiquitous in the public domain, such as 'rope swings,' 'mechanical bulls' and 'pole vaults.'"

On the verge of a Wipeout trial, the parties settled in late November. Shortly thereafter, Endemol decided to get tough on an alleged plagiarist of Big Brother.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...pyright-300031
post #77481 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
More family-friendly fare is in the cards for Hallmark Channel
The cable network is cleaning house after its failed experiment with Martha Stewart and increasing orders for its trademark movies aimed at viewers and advertisers who crave sentimentality.
By Meg James, Los Angeles Times - Mar. 13, 2012

Chasing ratings with Martha Stewart brought bad luck. So now Hallmark Channel is "Chasing Leprechauns."

At a time when most television programmers are searching for over-the-top reality hits, the Studio City cable network is stepping up production of its family fare. It has increased orders for its trademark two-hour movies and is preparing a new daytime talk show featuring Marie Osmond. On Saturday, Hallmark premieres its latest movie, "Chasing Leprechauns," a love story with a St. Patrick's Day theme.

Broadcast networks have all but abandoned TV movies, but Hallmark is serving more schmaltz to viewers and advertisers who crave sentimentality. Hallmark's films, which feature such once-popular TV stars as Valerie Harper ("Rhoda") and Genie Francis ("General Hospital"), have been producing healthy ratings for the flagship channel and its rapidly growing sister network, Hallmark Movie Channel.

"It is important to create a destination for our viewers, and one that also resonates with advertisers," said Bill Abbott, chief executive of the channels' publicly traded parent, Crown Media Holdings Inc., which is controlled by Kansas City, Mo.-based Hallmark Cards Inc.

Known for such movies as "The Good Witch," starring Catherine Bell, and "Love Comes Softly," with Katherine Heigl playing a widow in the 1800s, Crown Media this year plans to roll out 34 original movies on its two channels, including "Duke," starring Steven Weber ("Wings") as a homeless military vet who bonds with a border collie. That represents a 48% increase over the number produced in 2009.

Next fall Hallmark Channel will continue to diversify its offerings beyond old "Frasier" reruns and movies with two new daytime programs: "Marie!" with Marie Osmond, and a lifestyle show called "Home & Family," which will be taped on the Universal lot. Hallmark this month acquired rerun rights for ABC's modest hit "The Middle," starring Patricia Heaton, which celebrates ordinary life in Middle America. It will join Hallmark's lineup in 2014.

Hallmark's renewed embrace of programming steeped in Midwestern values is more than just sentimental. The channel has been retrenching after a disastrous attempt to revamp its lineup with weekday programming from lifestyle maven Martha Stewart.

After Hallmark introduced Stewart's slate of daytime shows in 2010, the channel's viewership plunged 23%. Despite spending nearly $10 million to promote Stewart's programming, Hallmark could not wring money from the partnership. Next month Stewart will end production of her money-losing how-to program, "The Martha Stewart Show," which has been averaging 206,000 viewers an episode, according to Nielsen.

The endeavor taught Crown Media a lesson in the perils of pursuing a new audience at the cost of alienating loyal viewers. Last year the channel rededicated itself to original movies, reversing its ratings slide and significantly improving its balance sheet.

Helped by a bounty of year-end Christmas movies, Crown Media in 2011 posted its best fiscal year of its 12-year history. The company generated $323.4 million in revenue, a 13% increase over 2010, the company's first year of profitability.

Still, the two channels' improved finances and heartwarming fare has done little to mollify Crown Media investors, who are furious over years of missteps and a collapse in the stock.

Crown shares closed Monday at $1.26, up 3 cents, a dramatic fall from the $8 the shares were selling for five years ago. The stock has languished since a 2010 recapitalization that diluted minority shareholders but strengthened the position of Hallmark's controlling family, led by Donald Hall, chairman of Hallmark Cards and son of the company's founder. Hallmark Cards now owns 90.3% of Crown Media, up from its previous stake of 67%.

"Hallmark has slowly become a more important channel, but the company doesn't give a hoot about the minority shareholders," said investor Salvatore Muoio, who sued Hallmark to challenge the 2010 recapitalization but lost the case.

"We are just the poor saps who own 4 million shares," Muoio said of his New York-based firm.

During a company earnings call last month, Peter Okin, a money manager with brokerage Stifel Nicolaus, pleaded for the Hall family to buy out other investors and take Crown Media private.

"There is no real market for your stock," Okin said. "I don't know how people on the board can put their heads on the pillow at night knowing what they have done to the minority shareholders over the last year."

The TV channels haven't been golden for Hallmark either. Since the company went public in 2000, Crown Media has racked up $1.8 billion in losses for Hallmark Cards, according to regulatory filings. The deficits and debt scared away potential buyers when the company was shopping the channels about five years ago. Crown Media's debt of $519 million exceeds its market capitalization of $453 million.

Donald Hall Jr., the company's chief executive, declined an interview request, and Hallmark Cards spokesman and Crown Media board member Steve Doyal declined to address shareholders concerns.

"Hallmark should at least send investors a condolences card," said Derek Baine, cable analyst with SNL Kagan.

"All the minority shareholders got diluted down to peanuts," Baine said. "Now they are going to have to sit and wait until Hallmark decides to sell the company, and they are under no pressure to do that. Hallmark took advantage of the situation, and they hold all the cards."

For now, Crown Media executives are hoping to improve its channels' ratings to bolster advertising revenue, reinvest in programming and pay down debt. The main Hallmark Channel is available in 87 million homes and the Hallmark Movie Channel is available in 45 million homes.

Plans are already underway for next year, when Hallmark plans to introduce two prime-time series a new arena for the channel.

"We want to do more original movies and original prime-time series that fit under that Hallmark umbrella," said Michelle Vicary, executive vice president for programming. "We are filling a unique void by specializing in connecting people emotionally and bringing families together with positive, hopeful, feel-good programming."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7276825.story
post #77482 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Sports
Luring Stanley Cup Viewers With a Torrent of Games
By Tanzina Vega, The New York Times - Mar. 15, 2012

Turning the Stanley Cup playoffs into a must-watch television event lasting for weeks in the spring is no easy feat. Many Americans did not grow up with the game, few know who the players are and watching 10 weeks of playoffs is a big time commitment.

But the National Hockey League's plan to get more viewers is, in fact, to show more games. This year, for the first time, the league will televise every game of the playoffs, which begin April 11 and could last up to 10 weeks, with the last possible day for the final game on June 15. The N.H.L. renewed its media partnership with NBC last year after the company was bought by Comcast, and can now offer programming across multiple platforms including NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC and the NHL Network.

We've spent the last five years talking about building national scale, said John Collins, the chief operating officer of the N.H.L. If you can't get the games on national television, you're not going to be able to relate to it.

The league seems to be learning from the National Collegiate Athletic Association's basketball strategy. In 2010, the N.C.A.A. reached a 14-year deal with CBS and Turner Broadcasting to show the games across multiple networks including CBS, TBS, TNT and truTV effectively allowing first- and second-round games to be shown nationwide. Before the pact, early-round games were shown only in certain regions Michigan State fans could watch their team on television but might not have been able to watch, say, Gonzaga or Georgetown.

After the Turner partnership, the number of viewers watching early-round games increased substantially. According to Nielsen, 79.5 million viewers watched a first-round game on CBS in 2010. The following year, the first year of the Turner partnership, there were 93.3 million first-round viewers.

It was a real win for the marketers and a real win for the networks and for the N.C.A.A., said Stephen Master, the vice president of sports at Nielsen. Now you have the muscle of two major media companies instead of one.

In a similar vein, all Stanley Cup games, including first-round games, will be seen on either NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC or the N.H.L. Network. Viewers in the United States can also watch some Stanley Cup Playoff games online at NBCSports.com and on mobile devices including the Verizon edition of the N.H.L. GameCenter app.

N.H.L. games used to be shown separately on NBC and on Versus, which was renamed the NBC Sports Network in January after the Comcast/NBC deal, and on the N.H.L. Network.

You had three to four voices all pushing N.H.L. games in their own brand voice, said John Miller, the chief marketing officer of the NBC Sports Group.

Mr. Master of Nielsen said, Now, because they're all one company, NBC has this full range of broadcast assets to devote to the N.H.L. playoffs.

CNBC, the newest addition to the group, Mr. Miller said, will offer a selection of first-round games and other games. He said that adding the business-focused channel to the list of broadcast partners helped because it had a schedule that was more flexible than, say, MSNBC. It's a little bit easier for us to put a game in there without disrupting their brand, Mr. Miller said.

The N.H.L. will also be using that media time to promote the games themselves. The league worked with DraftFCB Chicago, part of the Interpublic Group of Companies, on the advertising campaign. Jamie Shuttleworth, the executive vice president and chief strategy officer of DraftFCB Chicago, said the goal was to make the Stanley Cup more accessible to those who don't follow hockey.

If you don't grow up playing it and you don't have a dad that passes it on to you, this sport is hard to follow, Mr. Shuttleworth said.

Jon Flannery, the creative director who worked on the campaign, said the playoff season was an opportune time to raise interest in the game. Everything is heightened, everything is intensified, Mr. Flannery said. If you're even remotely interested in the game, this is the time to get into it. The campaign is estimated to cost the league more than $10 million.

The campaign is called Because It's The Cup. One ad focuses on the Stanley Cup the one symbol of hockey that is most familiar to many Americans and another on how the games are a social event. The spot called Where It's Been shows the Stanley Cup being kicked across a frozen canal, in the basement of a family home and in bed with someone. Another spot, called Two Halftimes, features people watching the game at home and in bars with a narrator giving viewers reasons to love the game, like Because it's good to get together over something cold, and Because in hockey there are two halftimes.

More airtime also represents more opportunities for advertisers. According to data from Kantar Media, the research unit of WPP, advertisers spent $56.7 million on ads during the Stanley Cup playoffs and finals in 2010 and $76.1 million in 2011.

Additional promotions include retail partnerships with stores like Modell's, Lids and Dick's Sporting Goods, which will carry Stanley Cup merchandise. A major sponsorship from MillerCoors and Molson Coors will include Stanley Cup tap handles for Coors Light and Molson Canadian and Because It's The Cup posters, coasters and other branded items in bars. Packages of Coors Light will be labeled with a promotion called Grab the Cold, Raise the Cup offering consumers the chance to win a trip to the Stanley Cup finals and other prizes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/bu..._r=1&ref=media
post #77483 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
THURSDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - Missing (Series Premiere)
9PM - Grey's Anatomy
10:02PM - Private Practice
11:35PM - Nightline (LIVE)
Midnight - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Channing Tatum; Genesis Rodriguez; The Joy Formidable performs)

CBS:
7PM - 2012 NCAA Basketball Tournament: Virginia Commonwealth vs. Wichita State (LIVE)
9:30PM - 2012 NCAA Basketball Tournament: New Mexico State vs. Indiana (LIVE)
12:35AM - Late Show with David Letterman (Ryan Reynolds; Ellie Kemper; Dierks Bentley performs)
(R - Feb. 8)
1:37AM - Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (Molly Shannon; Michael K. Williams; Larry King as the voice of Geoff)
(R - Nov. 10)

NBC:
8PM - Community (Mid-season Premiere)
8:30PM - 30 Rock (Time Slot Premiere)
9PM - The Office
9:30PM - Up All Night
10PM - Awake
11:35PM - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (Kiefer Sutherland; Kathryn Hahn; Andy Grammer performs)
12:37AM - Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (Taylor Lautner; singer Adam Levine; Nas performs; guest announcer Michael Strahan)
(R - Feb. 2)
1:36AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Gina Carano; director Dee Rees; Milow performs) SD
(R - Feb. 9)

FOX:
8PM - American Idol (LIVE)
9PM - Touch
(R - Jan. 25)

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - The 'This Old House' Hour
9PM - The Mystery of Chaco Canyon
(R - Jun. 16, 2000)
10PM - Independent Lens: We Still Live Here -- as Nutayunean
(R - Nov. 17)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Una Familia Con Suerte
9PM - Abismo de Pasión
10PM - La Que No PodÃ*a Amar

THE CW:
8PM - The Vampire Diaries
9PM - The Secret Circle

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Una Maid en Manhattan
9PM - Corazón Valiente
10PM - Relaciones Peligrosas

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (TBA)
11:31PM - The Colbert Report (Journalist Dexter Filkins)

TBS:
Midnight - Conan (Louis C.K.; Jim Sturgess; Hugh Moore performs)
(R - Aug. 18)

E!:
11PM - Chelsea Lately (Shirley Manson; comic Chris Franjola; comic Natasha Leggero; TV personality Ross Mathews)
post #77484 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Thursday's Highlights: '30 Rock' on NBC
By Los Angeles Times' 'Show Tracker' Blog - Mar. 14, 2012

[ALL TIMES LISTED ARE PACIFIC TIME]

FEELING UNWORTHY after receiving an award, Jack (Alec Baldwin) takes on new challenges on 30 Rock at 8:30 p.m. on NBC. With Sue Galloway.

SERIES

Community:
When new episodes of this intelligent comedy return, Shirley's (Yvette Nicole Brown) ex, Andre (Malcolm-Jamal Warner), asks her to remarry him (8 p.m. NBC).

Missing: Ashley Judd stars in this action-packed new drama series as an ex-CIA agent, whose son (Nick Eversman) vanishes (8 p.m. ABC).

American Idol: Contestants face elimination (8 p.m. Fox).

Project Runway All Stars: In the opening of the two-part season finale, the remaining contestants create a signature collection for a red-carpet runway show in three days. The conclusion airs next Thursday (9 p.m. Lifetime).

The First 48: Missing Persons: Returning for a new season, this series follows detectives as they investigate disappearances (10 p.m. A&E).

Sweet Genius: The premiere of this new cooking show looks at chocolate desserts, a spicy drink mix and strange-looking citrus fruit (10 p.m. Food).

Jersey Shore: The season ends here. And there may not be a sixth season, but at least one spinoff is on the way: The Pauly D Project is set to premiere March 29 (10 p.m. MTV).

MOVIES

The Hollywood Complex:
This new documentary follows young actors teens and pre-teens who flock to Hollywood every spring for pilot season (7:30 p.m. Showtime).

SPORTS

College basketball: NCAA tournament:
Colorado State vs. Murray State (9:15 a.m. CBS); Southern Mississippi vs. Kansas State (9:30 a.m. Tru); Davidson vs. Louisville (10:30 a.m. TBS); Montana vs. Wisconsin (11 a.m. TNT); BYU vs. Marquette (11:30 a.m. CBS); UNC-Asheville vs. Syracuse (noon Tru); Long Beach State vs. New Mexico (1 p.m. TBS); Harvard vs. Vanderbilt (1:30 p.m. TNT); Kentucky vs. Western Kentucky (3:45 p.m. TBS); Virginia Commonwealth vs. Wichita State (4 p.m. CBS); West Virginia vs. Gonzaga (4:15 p.m. TNT); South Dakota State vs. Baylor (4:15 p.m. Tru); Connecticut vs. Iowa State (6:15 p.m. TBS); New Mexico State vs. Indiana (6:30 p.m. CBS); Loyola (Md.) vs. Ohio State (6:45 p.m. TNT); Colorado vs. UNLV (6:45 p.m. Tru).

Pro basketball: The Phoenix Suns visit the Clippers (7:30 p.m. FS Prime).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...k-on-nbc-.html
post #77485 of 95518 Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

What happened on Luck is a tragedy, and I honestly don't mean to sound cynical. I wonder if HBO saw this as an easy way to get out from under the early renewal of the low rated show?

How many animals have to die to satisfy one's appetite for entertainment?

This "tragedy" was/is a firestorm about to erupt. At this point, there's no other "winning" strategy for HBO but to drop it like a hot potato. It also happens to be the right thing to do ethically, morally, etc, etc ...
post #77486 of 95518 Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

It's not Deadwood, but I still watched if faithfully. (Although it took way too long to develop.)

Too much bad publicity, plan and simple. A simple case of cutting their losses before the backlash gets too big to handle.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #77487 of 95518 Old 03-15-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
'Touch' Mixes Family Drama, Mystical Numbers
By Jane Boursaw, TVWorthWatching.com - Mar. 14, 2012

After eight seasons of watching Kiefer Sutherland kick terrorist tush on 24, I wasn't sure I'd be able to see him as any other character. But after watching the pilot for Touch, I'm willing to give it a try. (Previewed in January, the pilot launches the weekly run of Touch this Thursday, March 15 at 9 p.m. ET on Fox.)

And man, it's good to see Sutherland back on TV again. I'm not sure Touch is going to be a tough-guy role for him, but it's early in the game and anything could happen. It didn't take him long to beat up a guy in the pilot, but mostly, he's just a vulnerable dad trying to connect with his son, which already makes Touch more family-friendly than 24.

In a recent phone call with Sutherland, he said he knew that Touch was an opportunity he couldn't pass up, even though he wasn't ready to return to another television series. "I remember thinking about it really strongly when I was crossing the street in New York. I said to Susan, a person I work with... if we don't do this, how are we going to feel in September watching it and knowing its potential? That answered my question for me. I didn't want to be sitting there watching this fantastic show if I'd had the opportunity to be a part of it." (Read my full Q&A with Kiefer Sutherland at Reel Life With Jane.)

In Touch, he takes on the role of Martin Bohm, a widower and single dad raising his emotionally-challenged 11-year-old son, Jake (David Mazouz), who's never spoken, shows very little emotion, and has never allowed himself to be touched by anyone, including Martin. Having a kid who never interacts with you and barely seems to know you're there is a daunting challenge, and both Mazouz and Sutherland have the emotional chops to pull it off.

On top of that, Jake is obsessed with numbers -- writing long strings of them in notebooks -- and discarded cell phones. He keeps running away from school and climbing to the top of a cell phone tower, breaking the tower's security alarms at precisely 3:18 p.m. each time.

In the pilot, we're also introduced to Clea Hopkins (Gugu Mbatha-Raw), a social worker who believes Jake needs more than his dad can offer. Despite Martin's heartbreaking objections, Jake is placed in foster care. But things start to change when Martin seeks out Arthur Teller (Danny Glover), a professor and an expert on children with special numerical gifts.

Turns out there are more to those long strings of numbers than meets the eye. They're actually Fibonacci number sequences, which connect seemingly unrelated things. Using these hidden patterns, Jake is able to predict events before they happen, and Martin has a new way to connect with his son. Bonus points that the dynamic duo is able to help people around the world by stopping potentially harmful events before they happen.

Number-focused storylines have been done before. There's, well, Numb3rs, the show about mathematicians using equations to help the FBI solve crimes. And Fringe worked the Fibonacci sequence into a major storyline that involved Walter Bishop reciting the numbers at night like he was counting sheep. But Touch brings something new to the table with the father-son connection. As a parent, I want to keep watching not so much for the numbers, but to see if Martin can connect with Jake in a more meaningful way.

There's always the danger that Touch, though well written and compelling, will dissolve into a "case of the week" format. But since it was created by Tim Kring, the mastermind behind Heroes, there's no doubt a bigger story here, one that will keep us guessing from week to week.

Parents Should Know: Touch is an emotional drama with heavy themes, like losing a parent and raising a special-needs child. Violence includes fiery car accidents, bombings, fist-fighting, and references to terrorist attacks (a parent died on 9/11). Also, some sexuality (references to prostitution), mild language ("hell," "damn"), and social drinking. I recommend it for kids 13 and older.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/contr...rland-bo.shtml
post #77488 of 95518 Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Sports
Here it is, March Madness by the numbers
An assortment of fun factoids about the tournament
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Mar. 15, 2012

With the first round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament starting today, here's a look at March Madness by the numbers, from advertising to TV viewers to how much productivity it costs our national workplace. Happy bracketing.

Dollars in ad sales for the NCAA tournament last year: $738 million

What it will cost for non-cable subscribers to watch March Madness On Demand via Turner Networks' web sites: $3.99

Brands that advertised on March Madness last year: 78

Brands that have advertised on March Madness since 2002: 275

Networks that will carry NCAA games this year: four (CBS, TBS, TNT, truTV)

Networks that carried NCAA games up until last year: one

Cost of a spot in the title game of last year's tournament: $1.24 million

Viewers who watched last year's finals: 20.06 million

Viewers who watched the 2010 finals: 23.94 million

Team that played in both those finals: one, Butler, which lost both games

Viewers who watched the 1992 finals, the most-watched in history: 34.4 million

Percentage of employees who participate in a March Madness pool at work: 20

Percentage of male employees who participate in a March Madness pool at work: 27

Percentage of female employees who participate in a March Madness pool at work: 13

Percentage of workers who spend at least an hour each workday checking scores during March Madness: 17

Dollars employers will pay out to employees who are actually following March Madness rather than working: $175 million

What Americans bet annually on March Madness: $3 billion

What CBS and Turner Networks paid for the right to this year's tournament: $680 million

Discount being offered by adult store Adam & Eve to female shoppers who say they feel like "sports widows" during March Madness: 50 percent

Teams in this year's tournament: 68

Years in a row President Barack Obama had picked Kansas to win the tourney before this year, when he picked North Carolina: two

Percentage of female college basketball players who graduate: 89

Percentage of male college basketball players who graduate: 67

Number of titles won by UCLA, the most for any team: 11

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...he-numbers.asp
post #77489 of 95518 Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Review
'Touch' Mixes Family Drama, Mystical Numbers
By Jane Boursaw, TVWorthWatching.com - Mar. 14, 2012

And man, it's good to see Sutherland back on TV again. I'm not sure Touch is going to be a tough-guy role for him, but it's early in the game and anything could happen. It didn't take him long to beat up a guy in the pilot, but mostly, he's just a vulnerable dad trying to connect with his son, which already makes Touch more family-friendly than 24.

Um, Jane -- maybe you need to rewatch that scene. The Keifster was actually on the receiving end of that beatdown. Jack Bauer, of course, would have easily and efficiently demolished that guy, and that's when and why I got fully invested in Sutherland's new character. We actually needed to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Boursaw View Post

There's always the danger that Touch, though well written and compelling, will dissolve into a "case of the week" format. But since it was created by Tim Kring, the mastermind behind Heroes, there's no doubt a bigger story here, one that will keep us guessing from week to week.

I can think of a lot of things to call Tim Kring, who ruined 'Heroes', a potentially great show, in record time but "mastermind" isn't one of them.
post #77490 of 95518 Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Nickelodeon Unveils Plans 650 Hours Of New And Returning Programming
By The Deadline.com Team - Mar. 14, 2012

The kids and family-focused cable channel laid out an aggressive plan of original and returning series, movies and more today as part of its advertiser update in New York. Highlights include a new music-themed series, Rags, debuting this spring; a revival of the 1990s game show Figure It Out that will air later this year; an animated series The Legend Of Korra based on the Avatar: The Last Airbender animated franchise that debuts April 14 as part of the channel's Saturday morning kids block; 26 episodes of the new CG-animated series Raving Rabbids, based on the video game of the same name; and, as revealed first by Deadline earlier today, the pickup of the 26-episode comedy series Marvin, Marvin, starring Internet celebrity Lucas Cruikshank (his Fred shorts are popular among kids).

The network also confirmed that Nickelodeon is developing a new series about Rachel Crow, one of the stars from the first season of The X Factor.

Also announced: Hollywood Heights (formerly known as Reach For The Stars), based on a Televisa telenovela format; a show in development for Brit Pop band One Direction, which gets to make some noise locally when it performs on Nick's Kids Choice Awards on March 31; and two new animated series, Monsters & Aliens, based on the DreamWorks Animation feature, and Robot & Monster. Nickelodeon also announced new episodes of such hits as iCarly, Big Time Rush and The Fairly Odd Parents, among others. Here's the release [CLICK LINK BELOW]:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/nick...g-programming/
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page