53Likes

post #77911 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The New Moneyball

In the era of the DVR, live sports is now the most valuable commodity in media. With a slew of new multibillion-dollar deals, baseball is cashing in, and the game will never be the same.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77912 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

And apparently the deal is for cash, $2 billion of it, incredible.

Scary, huh?

I could retire comfortably close to 30 years early on 10% of that - even if I had to pay tax on it.

As it is, I'll probably really be 40 years to retirement.
post #77913 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Scary, huh?

I could retire comfortably close to 30 years early on 10% of that - even if I had to pay tax on it.

10% ?!?!, that's still 200 million.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #77914 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

10% ?!?!, that's still 200 million.

Sorry, I meant 1%. I was doing the math based on $200 million and it went downhill from there.

That's why I don't do math for a living.

I'd be the guy not putting enough fuel in the jet in the conversion to the metric system. Next thing you know, Tom Skerritt is doing a movie of the week about my screw up...
post #77915 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Maybe, maybe not. We'll now have to pay higher ticket prices and pay for a new TV network. And I wonder if they'll try and get their return by scrimping on player contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Great news for LA Dodgers fans, the group led by Magic Johnson has won the bid for the team, for an unbelievable $2 billion.

post #77916 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Maybe, maybe not. We'll now have to pay higher ticket prices and pay for a new TV network. And I wonder if they'll try and get their return by scrimping on player contracts.

That's ONLY IF your a Dodgers fan ! Giants to the WS again !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #77917 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

And higher parking fees after half of that parking lot is turned into a new football stadium.

What ever they do, I hope they don't sell off the naming rights to the stadium, it's been called Dodger Stadium for over 50 years and it should stay that way. Spending some money to upgrade the place would sure be nice though as it is the 3rd oldest park in baseball.
post #77918 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Scary, huh?

Scary doesn't even come close, I figured the $1.5B figure talked about in the media was a stretch, but $2B is just, wow.. You get the sense that the next highest bid was probably $500M lower, it's a number that says "I want the team no matter what the price is". Billionaires and their toys...
post #77919 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Liked: 12
Looks like the sale price is $2.15billion.

That's for the team, Dodger Stadium, parking lots and surrounding real estate. (I won't even mention, not even tangentially, the guy's name who owned the team...and still has "action" with the parking lot but it looks like the contract buries him.)

The $$$ buys one of the premier teams in MLB (among Cubs-Red Sox-the team from ny) plus what will be very lucrative TV rights (we're ON TOPIC here! ). Remember that the Dodgers are first in attendance among all other MLB teams since moving to Los Angeles in 1958....

Play ball!
post #77920 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Here's another one (sidebar to my last link)

Why Matt Kemp Makes A Boatload Of Money From A Bankrupt Baseball Team

Quote from main article (last link)

But no sport has been more affected than Major League Baseball. The NFL, with its national contracts and once-a-week drama, was long seen as the gold standard of TV sports rights. But baseball's tribal fans and long season--162 games, plus spring training--singlehandedly provide enough worthy programming to anchor a local sports cable network. With local cable accounting for 40% of all media revenue, up from 26% a decade ago, that's a gold mine.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #77921 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Here's another one (sidebar to my last link)

Why Matt Kemp Makes A Boatload Of Money From A Bankrupt Baseball Team

Quote from main article (last link)

But no sport has been more affected than Major League Baseball. The NFL, with its national contracts and once-a-week drama, was long seen as the gold standard of TV sports rights. But baseball's tribal fans and long season--162 games, plus spring training--singlehandedly provide enough worthy programming to anchor a local sports cable network. With local cable accounting for 40% of all media revenue, up from 26% a decade ago, that's a gold mine.

Oh yeah, there's no question that if the Dodgers decide to create their own network it will be rivaled by only the Yankee's YES Network in viewers and cost to those viewers.
post #77922 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 160
TV Sports
News Corp. Said to Plan U.S. Sports Network to Rival ESPN
By Andy Fixmer and Alex Sherman, Bloomberg - Mar. 28, 2012

Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. is taking steps to start a national U.S. sports network on cable television aimed at challenging Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

News Corp. is assembling the required rights from pay-TV carriers and sports organizations, said the people, who requested anonymity because talks are private. While a final decision to move forward hasn't been made, the company is considering converting its Fuel action-sports network to the new channel, two of the people said.

With a national network, Fox would join Comcast Corp.'s NBC Sports Network and CBS Corp.'s CBS Sports Network in taking on the dominant ESPN. News Corp. last year secured rights to the Pac-12 Conference and Big-12 Conference games and owns 20 regional sports networks. The company in October won TV rights to soccer's World Cup in 2018 and 2022.

The success of all these networks will depend on the quality of their sports rights, David Joyce, an analyst at Miller Tabak & Co. in New York, said in an interview. There's been a lot of competition for those rights and that's driven up costs.

ESPN is well-positioned to withstand competition because of its rights for Monday Night Football and national baseball and basketball games, Joyce said.

A national sports channel can capture higher affiliate fees from pay-TV providers such as Comcast and DirecTV, according to research firm SNL Kagan. ESPN will command $5.06 per subscriber per month this year, the most of any cable channel, SNL Kagan estimates.

Dodgers Sale

That would help pay for sports rights that are growing ever more expensive. Fox, for example, holds rights to broadcast Los Angeles Dodgers games through next year, and exclusive negotiating rights to renew through late this year. The price is likely to go up with the team's planned sale, for a record $2 billion, to a group led by basketball hall of fame player Magic Johnson and Guggenheim Partners Chief Executive Officer Mark Walter.

Fuel, a 24-hour action-sports network that carries mixed- martial arts fights, is available in 36 million U.S. homes, according to Fox.

In addition to Fox Sports Net regional channels and Fuel, News Corp. owns motor-sport network Speed, available in 78 million homes, the Fox Soccer Channel, the Big Ten Network, a partnership with the college sports conference, and Fox College Sports, consisting of Pacific, Central and Atlantic regional networks. News Corp. also shows games on broadcast television through Fox Sports.

Leverage the Channel

To compete with ESPN and NBC Sports, Fox will need to make an attractive offer to sports organizations and teams, said Neal Pilson, president of Pilson Communications and former head of CBS Sports.

The way you do that is you give a new sports property exposure on the Fox broadcast network and then you put other games on the new channel, Pilson said. You leverage the broadcast channel to get product on the cable channel.

The new channel could begin service by the end of this year, one person said. The effort is being led by David Hill, the chairman of Fox Sports, one person said.

News Corp., based in New York, has clearance from some carriers, including DirecTV, the biggest U.S. satellite television provider, two people said.

Lou D'Ermilio, a spokesman for Fox Sports, declined to comment, as did Darris Gringeri, a spokesman for El Segundo, California-based DirecTV. (DTV)

News Corp. fell 2.5 percent to $19.74 and Disney dropped 1.5 percent to $43.51 at the close in New York. DirecTV added 1.3 percent to $48.83.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ival-espn.html
post #77923 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
San Francisco Comedian W. Kamau Bell to Lead TV Show on FX
By Keith Bowers, San Francisco Weekly - Mar. 28, 2012

San Francisco isn't so much losing one of its best comedians (yet) as it is putting him out on loan. Which is to say, W. Kamau Bell will be spending a lot of time in New York later this year to film six episodes of a TV show for FX.

Last year he and a group of comedians produced two pilots for the show, which Bell describes as "my version of The Daily Show." One of the show's executive producers is Chris Rock.

Bell can't tell us what the title for the half-hour show is -- because one hasn't been chosen.

"It's all happening quickly, we're kicking around names right now," says Bell, who has written a blog column for The Exhibitionist -- Kamau's Komedy Korner -- since February 2011.

A statement from Nick Grad, an FX executive, calls it The Untitled Chris Rock/W. Kamau Bell Late Night Show.

It is set to be filmed and air beginning in August, Bell says.

Bell tells us the people hired for the show so far are the executive producers -- himself, Rock, and Chuck Sklar -- and he hopes to bring on board some of the comedians he has worked with closely in the Bay Area.

They include San Francisco's Nato Green and Kevin Avery as well as former San Franciscan (and current New Yorker) Janine Brito. Green and Brito were part of a group that toured with a politically themed show called Laughter Against the Machine.

All three worked with Bell on both pilots, one of which he wrote about in a June 2011 column.

Grad, FX's executive vice president of original programming, praises the pilot in the network statement: "The presentation pilot that Chris and Kamau shot was terrific. Kamau is a tremendous young comedian who has a very smart and sharp take on life. Working with Chris will only bring out the best of his talents."

Rock chimes in with, ""I think Kamau is one of the funniest guys out there, and I can't wait to work with the good people at FX."

Bell says the show, which will appear once a week, will be like The Daily Show or Bill Maher's Real Time in that it will comment on events of the day, but it will also include commentary and parody on cultural events. It will include in-studio interviews, special guests, and externally produced segments, Bell says.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/exhibition...tv_show_fx.php
post #77924 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Fox Announces Summer Premiere Dates, Scales Back Dance' To Once A Week
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Mar. 28, 2012

Fox has announced its summer original slate, which looks a lot like last year's, with So You Think You Can Dance and Gordon Ramsay's Hell's Kitchen and Masterchef all returning. They will be joined by Ramsay's newest series Hotel Hell, originally slated for a spring run in the Friday 8 PM slot but pushed to summer to make room for The Finder, which was relocated from Thursdays to Fridays.

Fox also made the format change for Dance official, scheduling the summer staple once a week and canceling the results show. The show's co-creator/executive producer/judge Nigel Lythgoe announced the news back in January. Dance will kick off its ninth season with a two-hour premiere on Thursday, May 24, the night following the end of the broadcast season and the season finale of American Idol. It will move to its regular Wednesday 8-10 PM slot the following week. Host Cat Deeley and resident judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy are back, along with guest judges Adam Shankman, Debbie Allen, Tyce Diorio, Lil' C, Stacey Tookey and Jesse Tyler Ferguson.

Hell's Kitchen will return for its 10th season on Tuesday, May 29, paired once again with Masterchef. Beginning on June 4, Hell's Kitchen will also air originals Mondays at 9 PM, following newbie Hotel Hell.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/jean...m-rene-balcer/
post #77925 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Bravo Announces 7 New Series in Development; Vogue's Andre Leon Talley Returns to TV
By Jethro Nededog, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Mar. 28, 2012

Bravo has announced that it is adding seven projects to its development slate, expanding its lifestyle programming with series focusing on fashion, real estate, entrepreneurship and relationships.

Most notably, Vogue contributing editor Andre Leon Talley could make his return to reality TV after leaving The CW's America's Next Top Model. He will usher four emerging fashion-design teams in creating, showing and selling a collection on the now-titled Fashion Stories of NYC.

Another series that stands out as a departure for Bravo focuses on Orange County doctors who make house calls for their wealthy patients. Under the working title MD: OC, the show, says Bravo, is a real life Royal Pains, referring to the USA series set in the Hamptons.

Bravo is focused on developing and launching breakthrough programming in diverse genres and formats and teaming up with big-name talent who are experts in their field, Bravo development vp Eli Lehrer says. This development slate embraces the network's pop-culture brand and allows us to explore some new and exciting worlds for our affluent and engaged audience.

Here are the series in development, according to Bravo's official release. [CLICK LINK BELOW]

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ncement-305393

TV Notes
'The Office's' Kate Flannery to Host TV Guide Network Stand-Up Series
By Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Mar. 28, 2012

The Office's Kate Flannery is moving out from behind a desk to host a new stand-up comedy series for TV Guide Network.

Titled StandUp in Stilettos, the original series is one of two comedy efforts the cable network announced Wednesday, joining Rove LA, a talk show hosted by Rove McManus.

"We are continuing to invest in original series and exclusive programming that will draw entertainment fans closer to their favorite stars," TV Guide Network chairman Allen Shapiro said in a statement announcing the news. "StandUp in Stilettos and Rove LA will offer viewers fresh comedy programming with some of the best-known celebrities in Hollywood today, as well as up-and-coming talent."

StandUp, which will bow Saturday, June 16 at 10 p.m., will feature new and familiar faces on the comedy circuit and begin casting immediately with production set to kickoff in late April. Each installment in the 10-episode series will feature three comedians whose acts feature material for, by and about women and be filmed in front of a live audience at a comedy club.

Rove LA, set to bow Saturday, July 21 at 10 p.m., will be a weekly hourlong talk show hosted by McManus, who has been dubbed Asustralia's king of talk. Ten episodes of the series, fresh to U.S. audiences, will premiere and feature guests including Justin Timberlake, Hugh Jackman, Eva Longoria, Steve Carell, Pink and Lisa Kudrow. An additional 13 all-new episodes will begin filming in September.

For Flannery -- who plays the boozy Meredith on NBC's top-ranked comedy -- the gig comes as The Office's future remains murky with the struggling network searching for a new showrunner to replace Paul Lieberstein as he preps a potential Rainn Wilson spinoff. Cast member Mindy Kaling, meanwhile, has a buzzy comedy pilot in development at Fox and head writer Daniel Chun inked an overall deal with Universal Television rival ABC Studios in February.

For their part, Office stars Ed Helms, John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer are in talks to return for a ninth season, sources told The Hollywood Reporter late last month, though none has a deal in place. Helms, meanwhile, has booked a guest turn in Kaling's untitled Fox pilot. Co-star James Spader said last month that he will not return for a potential ninth season of the series.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...network-305410
post #77926 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
THURSDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - Missing
9PM - Grey's Anatomy
(R - Feb. 9)
10:02PM - Private Practice
(R - Feb. 16)
11:35PM - Nightline (LIVE)
Midnight - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Carson Daly; Kristen Schaal; Esperanza Spalding performs)

CBS:
8PM - The Big Bang Theory
8:31PM - Rules of Engagement
9PM - Person of Interest
10PM - The Mentalist
12:35AM - Late Show with David Letterman (Tracy Morgan; sportscaster Jim Rome; performance from "Once")
1:37AM - Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (Lisa Kudrow; "Weird Al" Yankovic performs)
(R - Feb. 9)

NBC:
8PM - Community
8:30PM - 30 Rock
9PM - The Office
(R)
9:30PM - Up All Night
10PM - Awake
11:35PM - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (Piers Morgan; Liam Hemsworth; Mat Kearney performs)
12:37AM - Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (Susan Sarandon; supermodel Adriana Lima; Patrizio Buanne performs)
1:36AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Dr. Sanjay Gupta; musician Josh Baze; The Naked and Famous perform)

FOX:
8PM - American Idol (LIVE)
9PM - Touch

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Great Performances - The Thomashefskys: Music and Memories of a Life in the Yiddish Theater (120 min.)
10PM - Independent Lens: You're Looking at Me Like I Live Here and I Don't

UNIVISION:
8PM - Una Familia Con Suerte
9PM - Abismo de Pasión
10PM - La Que No PodÃ*a Amar

THE CW:
8PM - The Vampire Diaries
9PM - The Secret Circle

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Una Maid en Manhattan
9PM - Corazón Valiente
10PM - Relaciones Peligrosas

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Rachel Maddow)
11:31PM - The Colbert Report (Author Peter Beinart)

TBS:
11PM - Conan (Eliza Coupe; Christian Slater; Galactic performs)

E!:
11PM - Chelsea Lately (Chef Bethenny Frankel; John Caparulo; actress Liz Carey; comic Josh Wolf)
post #77927 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Sports
Kerr OK with Kentucky being feeder program
By Michael Hiestand, USA Today - Mar. 28, 2012

Viewers who don't watch much college hoops but watch the NCAA Final Four at least know this: Kentucky is a sort of NBA farm team.

Not that you'll likely hear much about that on CBS' coverage. Typically, TV college sports don't dwell on whether players will make it to the proverbial "next level." Which makes sense for networks that have bought college sports and need to sell them. Steve Kerr, who'll call the Final Four with Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg and headed Phoenix Suns basketball operations (2007-10), says, "(CBS has) been a proponent of that, that this is about college. We're not encouraged to talk about NBA prospects."

And Kerr, also a TNT NBA analyst, doesn't have a problem with Kentucky as an NBA feeder system given the NBA won't draft players until a year after their high school class graduated. "(Kentucky coach John Calipari) has a niche going convincing guys they'll be ready for the NBA after one year," Kerr says. "And I have a lot of respect for John's approach, given the rule is what it is."

Kerr's projections: Kentucky's Anthony Davis will be the first pick in the NBA draft "there's a better chance of Andrew Luck not going first (in the NFL draft)," he says and Terrence Jones and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist will be lottery picks. Marquis Teague is a borderline first-rounder, he says: "If you're an NBA team, you don't look at him and say, 'He's our point guard of the future.' "

Meaning he should be staying another year at Kentucky? "It helps almost everybody to go back," Kerr says. "Even with stars like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwight Howard, I'm convinced their off-the-court life would have been easier if they'd stayed a year or two in college and learned about life."

Kentucky's Doron Lamb and Darius Miller have NBA potential, he says. "They're not sure-fire long-term NBA players," he adds.

Kentucky doesn't have all of the future millionaires, he says. Among Final Four teams' players, Kansas' Thomas Robinson probably is the top pick after Davis, he says, with Ohio State's Jared Sullinger somewhere just after him and the Buckeyes' Aaron Craft also NBA-bound.

Kerr says Calipari has great ideas for the NBA to incentivize players to stay in college longer maybe raising their rookie pay or letting them get free agency sooner and that would make the pro and college games better.

Kerr laughs at the idea he was tempted to leave his college team at Arizona where he shot 2-for-13 from the floor in its 1988 Final Four loss to Oklahoma for early entry into the NBA, where he averaged six points a game over 15 NBA seasons and was the only non-Boston Celtic to play on four consecutive NBA champions. "I'd have stayed another year if they'd let me," he says.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...ent/53813072/1
post #77928 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Ashton Kutcher, Jon Cryer Offered Two-Year Deals to Return to 'Two and a Half Men'
By Matthew Belloni, The Hollywood Reporter - Mar. 28, 2012

Negotiations have begun to bring CBS' Two and a Half Men back for another season -- and possibly two more.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that CBS and studio Warner Bros. Television have made offers to series stars Ashton Kutcher and Jon Cryer to return to the high-rated sitcom for two more seasons. But the offers provide no raises from what the stars currently make, and that's shaping up as a big problem for the reps for the actors.

Kutcher, who joined the show for its current ninth season after original star Charlie Sheen was fired for his erratic behavior, is widely believed to make $700,000 per episode, or $15.4 million for a 22-episode season. (Sheen made $1.25 million per episode when he was fired.) Cryer, who has been with the series since its inception in 2003, makes a bit less than Kutcher, according to sources.

The proposal from CBS and Warner Bros. is a starting point for what likely will be a lengthy negotiation. TV Guide reported Tuesday that Kutcher has asked for $1 million to return for another year, but sources say the negotiations are more complex than that. An insider believes that neither Kutcher, Cryer and series co-creator Chuck Lorre aren't especially enamored with the idea of continuing the show for two more seasons; the talent would prefer that the show end after next season, its 10th. But if the money is right -- meaning a raise is offered, according to this source -- the key talent would be much more likely stay on.

That's why CBS' initial offer of a two-year deal with no raise is potentially problematic. If CBS insists on two years at the current pay levels, it might end up with nothing. Then again, the cast already is extremely well-paid, so taking the current salaries would hardly be an insult. The network, rather than WBTV, is taking the lead on salary negotiations because its license fee fronts the cost of shows that reach this many seasons.

Adding to the pressure, taping of this season's finale is scheduled for next week, and if the episode ends up being a series finale, Lorre and team would like to write a fitting end for the characters. But if negotiations with Kutcher (repped by CAA) and Cryer (repped by UTA) haven't wrapped up by then -- "A big longshot," says one dealmaker -- the episode will need to be written as if the show might return but might not.

Still, it's highly likely that some kind of a deal will happen. Two and a Half Men is a financial cash cow for CBS and WBTV. Ratings have been down lately -- the show hit a season low at the end of the February sweep with a 3.6 rating among viewers 18-49 and 11.9 million viewers -- but this season's average is still higher than last year, thanks to huge fall numbers fueled by Kutcher joining the cast. And syndication deals are worth tens of millions of dollars per season of the show.

A CBS spokesperson says, We decline to comment on rumor and speculation.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...alf-men-305437
post #77929 of 95421 Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
'The Pauly D Project,' not all that bad
Imagine 'Jersey Shore' meets 'Real World.' This is not that show
By Tom Conroy, Media Life Magazine

To paraphrase the famous opening text of "The Real World," this is the true story of four friends, picked to live in a suite and have their lives taped, to find out what happens while they continue to act like reality stars.

A spinoff of "Jersey Shore," MTV's new series "The Pauly D Project," is, like the earlier show, a reuse of the "Real World" formula: Take a group of young adults, install them in living quarters they probably couldn't otherwise afford, give them a fake job and see how they handle too much alcohol, partying and camera time.

The differences in "The Pauly D Project," which premieres this Thursday, March 29, at 10:30 p.m., are that the young adults are all males; they knew each other before moving in together; and its title star is already famous from "Jersey Shore." But the main action -- dancing and drinking in nightclubs, followed by hookups or throw-downs -- is too familiar.

On the positive side, Pauly and his friends have a relatable camaraderie, and they are, on average, less jerky than the typical "Real World" male housemate and less self-dramatizing than the other "Jersey Shore" regulars. Fans of Pauly or of "Entourage"-style misbehavior could do worse than this show.

As "Jersey Shore" enthusiasts may already know, Paul "Pauly D" Delvecchio is actually from Rhode Island and is an aspiring DJ. In the series, he auditions for and then gets a "DJ residency" at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, which is, not coincidentally, where the cast members in the 2002 season of "The Real World" stayed.

Somehow the club's budget allows Pauly to bring three friends with him for the gig. They are his DJing "mentor," Biggie; his "security," Jerry; and the group's "social director," Ryan, whom the others count on to attract women.

It takes a while for the boys to establish residency in Las Vegas. In the opening minutes, Pauly is living at home in Rhode Island with his father, who is recovering from a stroke. Pauly gets a call saying that the Palms wants him to audition in one of the resort's nightclubs.

When he and the boys check in to their suite, we get the usual montage of the new arrivals checking out their sweet deal. They immediately head out to a club. As "The Real World" has shown, it's easier to pick someone up if you're being followed by a camera crew. Since these guys have the advantage of Pauly's fame, their first night of partying in Vegas pays off with several girls.

One of the pickups strips down to her panties and leopard-pattern bra and gets in the suite's small pool with Ryan. Jerry, who is seriously overweight, puts on his trunks and a shower cap and hops in with them, blocking Ryan's progress. Pauly, meanwhile, has sneaked away with his girl to his room, where we get another classic "Real World" visual: the couple pulling the bedspread over their heads to hide from the ever-present cameras.

The audition in the club is less interesting. A technical glitch occurs suspiciously early and is resolved suspiciously quickly, right after a commercial break. The boys know things are going well when they see the Palms' "marketing dude" doing what Biggie calls "the open-palm fist pump."

Nonetheless, six months pass before they hear whether they'll get the steady job. In the meantime, Jerry loses a lot of weight. Biggie, who is an imposing man, is rather touchingly worried about how his girlfriend, Mary Jane, would react to the news that he'll be living in Vegas.

By contrast, Pauly's attitude toward women may be best expressed by his high school girlfriend Angel, whom he describes as the one real relationship in his life. "I was with him for like seven years," she says, "and he was with me for like two months."

The second episode, which was also made available for review, focuses more on the boys' social life in Vegas than on Pauly's turntable work. When they head out to a club their first night back in town, the newly svelte Jerry manages to attract a few potential hookups, but he winds up taking care of a girl who vomits in the suite.

As Jerry takes the girl to get a cab, Pauly says, "Jerry's generally a nice guy. Maybe he'll get a kiss."

Ryan, meanwhile, is more interested in doing shots. Refusing to call it a night even after Biggie and Jerry have gone to bed, he spends the rest of the night drunkenly confronting other men. He says he's unsure whether they want to fight him or hug him.

Partially because Pauly is already familiar to us viewers, he fails to make a strong impression in these episodes. But Jerry and Biggie are increasingly likable and funny. The latter tries to remain relatively sober and faithful to Mary Jane.

Ryan is a rather more typical reality type. A montage of upcoming highlights at the end of the first episode doesn't indicate whether or not he'll clean up his act, but at least it isn't full of drunken brawls. In the same montage, we see Biggie making the supreme sacrifice: refusing to accompany the others to a strip club out of loyalty to his girlfriend.

Applying any reasonable critical standards, one would expect "The Pauly D Project" to be excruciating. The fact that it's bearable merits at least one open-palm fist pump.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...-that-bad-.asp
post #77930 of 95421 Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelLines View Post

...one of the premier teams in MLB (...Cubs...)

When it comes to the Cubs, "profitable franchise", or even "successful in a marketing sense" would be a more apt way to describe them than "one of the premiere teams".
post #77931 of 95421 Old 03-29-2012, 02:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Sports

...........Kerr's projections: Kentucky's Anthony Davis will be the first pick in the NBA draft "there's a better chance of Andrew Luck not going first (in the NFL draft)," he says and Terrence Jones and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist will be lottery picks. Marquis Teague is a borderline first-rounder, he says: "If you're an NBA team, you don't look at him and say, 'He's our point guard of the future.' "

Meaning he should be staying another year at Kentucky? "It helps almost everybody to go back," Kerr says. "Even with stars like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwight Howard, I'm convinced their off-the-court life would have been easier if they'd stayed a year or two in college and learned about life."

I generally agree that Davis should stay but it's more from selfishness on my part than anything else. Kentucky is just plain that good with him on the floor. It'll be interesting to see how they stack up against Lousville. If they win and then take the championship [which I think they will], there will be a lot of pressure on Davis to go both ways. He's going to need some good people around him so that he makes the kind of decision that'll be good for him and him only. I;m sure his parents will weigh in heavily - at least I hope so.
post #77932 of 95421 Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Explain why back in the 70's when you only had 3 networks and no cable bad shows still made it on the air?

But those shows were still better than all the reality crap on today. I wish I had those 3 networks from the 70s back.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #77933 of 95421 Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's worse than that.

In the early days of TV, the biggest shows were quiz/game shows.

In the 70's and 80's, the biggest ratings grabbers were the Saturday Night and Sunday Night movies - in other words, broadcasts of movies already shown in theaters.

Some people have the idea that this "copying of concepts" is a new thing, too.

In the 60's, the airwaves were choked full of westerns.

The 70's were all about the "buddy cop" show.

In the early 80's, you had endless primetime soaps coming at us on every network, from Dallas to Dynasty to Knots Landing and the rest.

Then there were the endless numbers of "super vehicle" shows, like Knight Rider, Airwolf, Street Hawk and the like.

Two of the best sitcoms from the 50s was I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners. Over the last 20 years no sitcom has came close to them.

The 60s had westerns like Gunsmoke but they had a lot of other great programming. Like I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, Hogan's Heroes, The Andy Griffith Show and Star Trek.

The buddy cop shows from the 70s were great like ChiPs and Hawaii Five 0. There were great detective shows like The Rockford Files.

The 80s had the best TV shows. The super vehicle" shows, like Knight Rider, Airwolf, and Blue Thunder were awesome. Not to mention The Dukes of Hazzard, Magnum PI, Simon and Simon, The A Team, and The Fall Guy just to name a few.

And best of all it was on free OTA TV and there wasn't a reality show in sight.

post #77934 of 95421 Old 03-29-2012, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

What’s Below a Subchannel? In Some Cases, Cable

Quote:
Back in 2009 the television industry was in the full throes of opening up a fully-digital broadcasting spectrum, giving birth to a multitude of digital subchannels. At the time, there was concern that broadcasters would have to struggle to justify their dominion over this additional bandwidth.

It turns out to be a needless worry.

Not only are many of the digital subchannels surviving, in many markets, they’re thriving.

Generally speaking, many of these subchannels are airing locally produced original content such as news, weather, and lifestyle information. But in many markets, the digital subchannels are where you’re likely to see programming from smaller networks without affiliates in the DMA — My Network TV, ME-TV, and Ion, for example. And it’s from these networks in particular that the digital subchannel platform is making some serious free-TV noise.

When you regularly review local market program rankers and notice household and even adult demo ratings that are often in 2’s and 3’s for many of the digital subchannels, it becomes something to pay attention to. Audiences are not only finding these new dial positions, but they’re tuning in, often beating Primetime cable programming in the process.

Much of the content airing on these networks are “classic” TV programming such as “M*A*S*H”, “Twilight Zone”, and even “The Rifleman”. But these programs are having success in many markets. For example in Jacksonville, “Star Trek” on Fox digital subchannel EAWS delivered a 1.7 A18-49 Prime rating in November, beating such notable Prime cable programming such as USA’s “Covert Affairs” and FX’s “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”. 1.7 also happened to be the average A18-49 rating for another high-profile cable program you may have heard about: “The Daily Show”.

In Meridian, MS, where ABC affiliate WTOK airs My Network TV programming on its ETOK subchannel, “Without a Trace” delivered a 3.8 Household rating. In fact, were ETOK a cable network, it would be the second-highest rated cable network in the Meridian DMA. So there are some markets where the subchannel content is having an even bigger impact than just in some of the prime programs. In some markets, from sign-on to sign-off, the subchannel as a whole is competing against — and beating — many cable networks.

http://www.tvb.org/4685/about_tvb/co...article/747493

post #77935 of 95421 Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

Two of the best sitcoms from the 50s was I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners. Over the last 20 years no sitcom has came close to them.

The 60s had westerns like Gunsmoke but they had a lot of other great programming. Like I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, Hogan's Heroes, The Andy Griffith Show and Star Trek.

The buddy cop shows from the 70s were great like ChiPs and Hawaii Five 0. There were great detective shows like The Rockford Files.

The 80s had the best TV shows. The super vehicle" shows, like Knight Rider, Airwolf, and Blue Thunder were awesome. Not to mention The Dukes of Hazzard, Magnum PI, Simon and Simon, The A Team, and The Fall Guy just to name a few.

And best of all it was on free OTA TV and there wasn't a reality show in sight.

The thing I miss the most from those days are the theme songs. Who that grew up then can forget the theme song to Cheyenne, Perry Mason, or Zorro.
post #77936 of 95421 Old 03-29-2012, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

I generally agree that Davis should stay but it's more from selfishness on my part than anything else. Kentucky is just plain that good with him on the floor. It'll be interesting to see how they stack up against Lousville. If they win and then take the championship [which I think they will], there will be a lot of pressure on Davis to go both ways. He's going to need some good people around him so that he makes the kind of decision that'll be good for him and him only. I;m sure his parents will weigh in heavily - at least I hope so.

There is only one decision. Go pro. He is the first pick of the entire draft. He can't improve his positioning any more than that.

Would his game improve if he stays? Without a doubt, but the risk of injury isn't worth it. This is coming from a life-long UK fan and alum too.
post #77937 of 95421 Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Sports

Viewers who don't watch much college hoops but watch the NCAA Final Four at least know this: Kentucky is a sort of NBA farm team.

Not that you'll likely hear much about that on CBS' coverage. Typically, TV college sports don't dwell on whether players will make it to the proverbial "next level." Which makes sense for networks that have bought college sports and need to sell them. Steve Kerr, who'll call the Final Four with Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg and headed Phoenix Suns basketball operations (2007-10), says, "(CBS has) been a proponent of that, that this is about college. We're not encouraged to talk about NBA prospects."

And Kerr, also a TNT NBA analyst, doesn't have a problem with Kentucky as an NBA feeder system given the NBA won't draft players until a year after their high school class graduated. "(Kentucky coach John Calipari) has a niche going convincing guys they'll be ready for the NBA after one year," Kerr says. "And I have a lot of respect for John's approach, given the rule is what it is."

Kerr's projections: Kentucky's Anthony Davis will be the first pick in the NBA draft "there's a better chance of Andrew Luck not going first (in the NFL draft)," he says and Terrence Jones and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist will be lottery picks. Marquis Teague is a borderline first-rounder, he says: "If you're an NBA team, you don't look at him and say, 'He's our point guard of the future.' "

Kentucky's Doron Lamb and Darius Miller have NBA potential, he says. "They're not sure-fire long-term NBA players," he adds.

Kentucky doesn't have all of the future millionaires, he says. Among Final Four teams' players, Kansas' Thomas Robinson probably is the top pick after Davis, he says, with Ohio State's Jared Sullinger somewhere just after him and the Buckeyes' Aaron Craft also NBA-bound.

Kerr says Calipari has great ideas for the NBA to incentivize players to stay in college longer maybe raising their rookie pay or letting them get free agency sooner and that would make the pro and college games better.

Kerr laughs at the idea he was tempted to leave his college team at Arizona where he shot 2-for-13 from the floor in its 1988 Final Four loss to Oklahoma for early entry into the NBA, where he averaged six points a game over 15 NBA seasons and was the only non-Boston Celtic to play on four consecutive NBA champions. "I'd have stayed another year if they'd let me," he says.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...ent/53813072/1

So now nobody cares enough to even bother hiding the fact that college athletics are taxpayer supported minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. I think states should defund their college systems athletics programs and let the NFL and NBA have their own minor league systems like the NHL and MLB do. It's pathetic that taxpayers pay for stadiums, arenas, and minor leagues for billinaire team owners and leagues. Most of the jobs generated by stadium/arena building are seasonal, low paying jobs that don't pay anywhere near enough taxes to meet the cost of the project. While the construction jobs would be better used for infrastructure building. And don't give me the "well the money generated from college football and basketball fund other programs". Those other programs are athletic programs and not core university programs.

It's really perverse that colleges pay, er, recruit people who couldn't qualify for that school, who don't even stick around for a degree anyway. And Calapari is one of the worst offending gypsy slimballs in the college game today.
post #77938 of 95421 Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Thursday’s Highlights: 'The Big Bang Theory' on CBS
By Los Angeles Times' 'Show Tracker' Blog - Mar. 28, 2012

[ALL TIMES LISTED ARE PACIFIC TIME]

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER" is just Sheldon’s (Jim Parsons) way of saying thanks on a new episode of “The Big Bang Theory” at 8 p.m. on CBS.

SERIES

Celebrity House Hunting:
Corey Feldman and his son go looking for a new Feldmansion Fortress in this new episode (7 p.m. Biography).

Community: Shirley, Pierce and Britta (Yvette Nicole Brown, Chevy Chase and Gillian Jacobs) plot against the new sub shop in the cafeteria while Vice Dean Laybourne (John Goodman) continues his efforts to recruit Troy (Donald Glover) to the Air Conditioning Repair Annex (8 p.m. NBC).

Missing: Becca’s (Ashley Judd) search for Michael (Nick Eversman) is complicated by the arrival of her best friend (Aunjanue Ellis), as Michael tries to find his own answers about his kidnapping. Cliff Curtis and Adriano Giannini also star in this new episode set in Portofino, Italy (8 p.m. ABC).

American Idol: This results episode features performances by Nicki Minaj and Scotty McCreery (8 p.m. Fox).

Touch: Martin meets a homeless man who shares Jake’s obsession with numbers; Teller (Danny Glover) visits Jake’s board-and-care facility (9 p.m. Fox).

The Mentalist: The murder of a casino employee draws Jane (Simon Baker) and his colleagues into the desert, where he runs into a magician with whom he toured in his mentalist days and discovers the man has a shocking secret. Andrew Rothenberg guest stars in this new episode (10 p.m. CBS).

Inside Comedy: Robin Williams; Jonathan Winters each sit down with David Steinberg in this new episode (11 p.m. Showtime).

MOVIES

This 2011 comedy starring Rita Rudner was written and directed by her husband, Martin Bergman, and shot at the couple’s home. Rudner stars as the new wife of a widowed father (Paul Dooley), whose dysfunctional family comes home for Thanksgiving (7:30 p.m. Showtime).

SPORTS

Tennis: Sony Ericsson Open:
Women’s semifinal; Men’s quarterfinal (10 a.m. and 4 p.m. ESPN2).

College basketball: NIT Final (4 p.m. ESPN).

Pro basketball:
The Oklahoma City Thunder visit the Lakers (7:30 p.m. TNT).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...ry-on-cbs.html
post #77939 of 95421 Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Katie Couric to return to morning TV, on Good Morning America' for one week
By Richard Huff, New York Daily News - Mar. 29, 2012

Breakfast news veteran Katie Couric is returning to morning TV, but just for a week.

The former CBS News anchor, who spent 15 years on NBC's "Today" show, will sit in for Robin Roberts on ABC's "Good Morning America" next week.

"We're thrilled to have Katie," Roberts said announcing the news on air during "GMA" Thursday.

It will be Couric's first time back on the mornings since she left NBC in 2006 for CBS News.

Couric left CBS last year for a multi-platform package with the Disney Co. that includes the creation of a daytime talk show set for this fall and work with ABC News.

The website TV Newser first reported the news late Wednesday.

Roberts, who will be on vacation next week, said she'll be watching - on DVR.

Roberts co-hosts the show with George Stephanopoulos, and news anchor Josh Elliott, weathercaster Sam Champion and correspondent Lara Spencer.

Spencer revealed the news, saying Couric "knows what she's doing" in the mornings.

Elliott joked that folks returning to the time period need two clocks to wake up.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1052629
post #77940 of 95421 Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Obituary
Warren Stevens, Veteran Character Actor, Dies at 92
By Mike Barnes, The Hollywood Reporter - Mar. 29, 2012

Warren Stevens, whose busy seven-decade career as a character actor in Hollywood included a key role in the 1956 sci-fi classic Forbidden Planet, died Tuesday of respiratory failure at his home in Sherman Oaks. He was 92.

A veteran of dozens of motion pictures and stage productions and hundreds of episodes on television, Stevens made his Broadway debut in 1948 and co-starred in The Trail to Hope Rose, a 2004 Western for The Hallmark Channel starring Lou Diamond Phillips. He was rarely idle during the years in between.

Stevens was a charter member of the Actors Studio, the workshop started by On the Waterfront director Elia Kazan and others in New York in the 1940s. He trained alongside Marlon Brando, Karl Malden and Montgomery Clift, and before long he was working in live television. On an early anthology series titled Actor's Studio, he starred opposite Russell Collins in a production of The Tell-Tale Heart, which won a Peabody Award.

Kazan introduced Stevens to Broadway in the 1948 Actors Studio production of Sundown Beach, which led to a critically acclaimed performance in the long-running stage hit Detective Story and then a seven-year movie contract at 20th Century Fox.

Stevens had become interested in acting through a friendship with Gregory Peck and Kenneth Tobey at New York's Neighborhood Playhouse.

In MGM's Forbidden Planet, starring Walter Pidgeon and Leslie Nielsen, Stevens plays Lieutenant "Doc" Ostrow, a member of a 22nd century expedition sent to the planet Altair to find a group that had left Earth many years earlier to establish a colony but had disappeared. Ostrow meets his end after using a "plastic educator" to boost his intelligence in an effort to uncover the secret of the film's invisible monster.

Stevens also had roles in such films as Mr. Belvedere Rings the Bell (1951), Phone Call From a Stranger (1952), Red Skies of Montana (1952), The Barefoot Contessa (1954), No Name on the Bullet (1959), Madame X (1966) and Madigan (1968).

On television, Stevens was a regular on the India-set adventure series Tales of the 77th Bengal Lancers in the 1950s and supplied the voice of John Bracken in the 1969-70 series Bracken's World, about the head of a fictional studio in Hollywood.

The native of Clarke's Summit, Pa., also appeared in such shows as Return to Peyton Place, The Richard Boone Show, Bonanza, Star Trek, Land of the Giants, Have Gun Will Travel and Mannix.

An avid flyer who served in the U.S. Navy, Stevens is survived by his wife of 43 years, Barbara, and sons Adam, Mathew and Laurence. A veteran's military service is pending.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...bituary-305537
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page