Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Sports/Business Notes
DirecTV deal with AT&T includes NFL Sunday Ticket exit clause
By Joe Flint, Los Angeles Times' 'Company Town' Blog - May 19, 2014

"RedZone is a pretty good substitute product for Sunday Ticket," said Brian Bedol, chief executive of Bedrocket Media Ventures and a former sports television executive in aninterview on the subject earlier this year.

If I had the choice (I don't with cable) I would choose RedZone over Sunday Ticket without a doubt. I have paid for RedZone since it has been available on Cox and think it is great and a great value at $35 a season. The people that don't want D* to lose Sunday Ticket are bar owners that have tons of money invested in satellite receivers and probably would not be able to get cable if Sunday Ticket went to cable.

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94502 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Washington/Business Notes
FCC says cable rates continue to rise
By Joe Flint, Los Angeles Times' 'Company Town' Blog - May 19, 2014

Cable bills are continuing to rise, according to a report from the Federal Communications Commission.

And this deserves a "duh" as well.
post #94503 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 604
But my cable bills have been dropping with bundling. Back in 2001 I paid DirecTV $120 a month just for TV. Now I pay $75 a month on FiOS for the Ultimate HD tier. It costs much less and I get many more channels. I had DirecTV through 2007. I also had Comcast for a couple of years. And I got FIOS in 2007. Comcast overlapped DirecTV and FiOS. But even on FiOS I pay less now then seven years ago. And I get more than i did in 2007.

Phone service also cost less. The place where I have seen prices increase is Internet. But my speeds are also over four times what they were in 2007 when I only had 35mbps speeds. Well 4x the download and 2x the upload.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #94504 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post

If I had the choice (I don't with cable) I would choose RedZone over Sunday Ticket without a doubt. I have paid for RedZone since it has been available on Cox and think it is great and a great value at $35 a season. The people that don't want D* to lose Sunday Ticket are bar owners that have tons of money invested in satellite receivers and probably would not be able to get cable if Sunday Ticket went to cable.
To each his own, but I'm married to a die-hard Steelers fan. She wants the whole game. All of it, not just live scoring or replays. Could care less about other teams. I'd be willing to bet most ST subscribers are fans of teams in cities they don't reside in. A lot bought the package for the surf-around ability, but I rather doubt that's the majority of ST's customers. If ST goes to cable, it probably won't be to all of them. And if it's all of them, then the DSS boys will have it, too.

But if it's all of them, the networks are gonna balk. And I don't think the NFL wants to poke that tiger.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #94505 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

To each his own.

Personally I like 7 hours of football without a single commercial.
Nayan likes this.

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #94506 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Minneapolis was awarded Super Bowl XLII Feb 4 2018 on NBC.
Their new stadium with a clear plastic roof opens 2016 & lately if you build a new stadium you get a Super Bowl.

Already set:
SB LI -- Houston - Feb 5 2017 FOX
SB L -- Santa Clara - Feb 7 2016 CBS
SB XLIX -- Glendale - Feb 1 2015 NBC

WNNNNNNBC biggrin.gif

post #94507 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

What, you think we just sit there while the commercials are on? Pshaw!! biggrin.gif

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #94508 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

I attended the last Super Bowl in Minneapolis. Minneapolis in January/February isn't the most pleasant of places to be.

post #94509 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

To each his own, but I'm married to a die-hard Steelers fan. She wants the whole game. All of it, not just live scoring or replays. Could care less about other teams. I'd be willing to bet most ST subscribers are fans of teams in cities they don't reside in. A lot bought the package for the surf-around ability, but I rather doubt that's the majority of ST's customers. If ST goes to cable, it probably won't be to all of them. And if it's all of them, then the DSS boys will have it, too.

But if it's all of them, the networks are gonna balk. And I don't think the NFL wants to poke that tiger.

My idea would have it on cable and such but mainly in markets with both a CBS and a Fox OnO.  This way the systems could add local ads. Adverrtise on the local affiliate you also get coverage on the other games being imported.

That would mean New York,LA,Chicago perhaps Philly and BOSTON! :)

post #94510 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I find redzone channels like listening to just the chorus of a good song. I don't like those summary channels at all. I do however watch the 8 game feed quite a bit, which drives my wife bananas.
post #94511 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Quote:

To each his own.

I watch AFL (Australian Football League) from March through September. No commercials during the four quarters. When the NFL starts up it is really difficult to keep my attention because of all the commercial breaks. It takes me awhile to get used to it again each season.
post #94512 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Their new stadium with a clear plastic roof opens 2016 & lately if you build a new stadium you get a Super Bowl.

Already set:
SB LI -- Houston - Feb 5 2017 FOX
SB L -- Santa Clara - Feb 7 2016 CBS
SB XLIX -- Glendale - Feb 1 2015 NBC

I could care less about football (no surprise there for most readers biggrin.gif ), but the number count seems a little off:

XLIX - L - LI - XLII

biggrin.gif

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #94513 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

But my cable bills have been dropping with bundling. Back in 2001 I paid DirecTV $120 a month just for TV. Now I pay $75 a month on FiOS for the Ultimate HD tier. It costs much less and I get many more channels. I had DirecTV through 2007. I also had Comcast for a couple of years. And I got FIOS in 2007. Comcast overlapped DirecTV and FiOS. But even on FiOS I pay less now then seven years ago. And I get more than i did in 2007.

Phone service also cost less. The place where I have seen prices increase is Internet. But my speeds are also over four times what they were in 2007 when I only had 35mbps speeds. Well 4x the download and 2x the upload.

Yeah, but you're willing to change providers a lot more often than a lot of people are.

And you apparently don't mind changing email addresses, getting new equipment, etc.

Some people don't want to fuss with any of that. Frankly, if I had my way, set-top boxes would be outlawed and we would go back to the simple days of just hooking the cable up directly to the TV set.

Heck, I'd be willing to go back to the days before the VCR. Even the remote control was a pernicious invention!

post #94514 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

But my cable bills have been dropping with bundling. Back in 2001 I paid DirecTV $120 a month just for TV. Now I pay $75 a month on FiOS for the Ultimate HD tier. It costs much less and I get many more channels.

Now move somewhere that doesn't have FiOS forcing MSO's to scramble for customers and offer price reductions, as in the other 90% of the country.

In Wilson, NC you can get TV, phone and 20/20 internet for $102 because have their own fiber network. Everyone outside of the town limit in NC that only has the choice of TWC just got a rate increase on top of the bundle price of $145 for the same services.

post #94515 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Now move somewhere that doesn't have FiOS forcing MSO's to scramble for customers and offer price reductions, As in the other 90% of the country.

In Wilson, NC you can get TV, phone and 20/20 internet for $102 because have their own fiber network. Everyone outside of the town limit in NC that only has the choice of TWC just got a rate increase on top of the bundle price of $145 for the same services.

That is total BS, of course it's just business. But it doesn't cost them any more for the service, yet they charge 40+% more and put it all in their pocket.
post #94516 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

That is total BS, of course it's just business. But it doesn't cost them any more for the service, yet they charge 40+% more and put it all in their pocket.

From an old article, but still applies.

What has caught the attention of Wilson leaders, state legislators, leaders from other cities and slowly some customers is the rate differential between Time Warner customers in the city of Wilson and those elsewhere.

"If you look at it apples to apples, customers in Raleigh, Durham and even Wilson County are paying more for the same services," Bowman said. "You have to think that's temporary. But people in the Triangle and Wilson County are paying more for the same product than people in Wilson are."

One of Wilson's Greenlight consultants at Uptown Services has determined that Greenlight is saving both Greenlight members and local Time Warner Cable customers more than $1 million each year compared to what Time Warner Cable customers in other areas pay, according to Bowman. That determination is based on the following non-promotional Time Warner Cable services for Time Warner Cable Expanded Basic of $51.95 in Wilson and $59.95 in Raleigh and for Time Warner Digital Basic of $70 in Wilson and $76.95 in Raleigh before taxes.

The signal for the service Time Warner customers in the Triangle and Wilson County receive comes from the same source in Morrisville.

http://www.wilsontimes.com/greenlight/Story/Greenlight-competition-affects-rates-elsewhere

Wilson is legendary in NC now for it's fiber service. Not only did it force TWC to get off their ass and start trying to compete in that town, but it also encouraged TWC to pay lobbyists to ensure that no other town or city in the state can start another competing service.

post #94517 of 95809 Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

From an old article, but still applies.

Wilson is legendary in NC now for it's fiber service. Not only did it force TWC to get off their ass and start trying to compete in that town, but it also encouraged TWC to pay lobbyists to ensure that no other town or city in the state can start another competing service.

Yep, there is the bottom line, they pay off lobbyists to keep the monopoly, it is so blatant, yet it's ok, it's such a joke how the powers that be let the monopolies go on as long as their pockets get lined. The people looking out for us are as bad or worse than the ones gouging us to death.
post #94518 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Nielsen Notes (Broadcast)
NBC Poised To Win 2013-14 Demo For First Time In 10 Years
By Lisa De Moraes, Deadline.com - May 20, 2014

NBC will win the 2013-14 TV season in the demo for the first time in a decade with a 13% ratings spike – the biggest year-to-year gain for any Big 4 network in nine years. Even without its 18 nights of Sochi Olympics coverage, NBC boasts it delivers the season’s biggest demo audience, topping Super Bowl-boosted Fox. NBC’s gains blanket the entire week, including double-digit year-to-year demo gains on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

The network’s most talked about improvement: its 39% gain at 10 PM Mondays with The Blacklist originals – Blacklist being the season’s No. 1 new series and No. 2 drama, and NBC’s Monday being the top-rated regular schedule on any broadcast network in the demo, with an average 4.3 rating for regular programming.

NBC takes the season’s top spot with a 2.7 demo rating, besting Fox’s 2.5, and CBS’s 2.4; ABC brings up the rear with a 2.1 rating. ABC is down 5% compared to last year’s 2.2 rating, but CBS, which finished first in the demo last season, slid 17% year to year. Fox came in on par with last season.

CBS, meanwhile, takes the crown as the country’s most watched network for the sixth consecutive year (and 11 of the last 12 seasons) with 10.733 million viewers to NBC’s 9.279 million, ABC’s 7.591 million and Fox’s 7.352 million.

But NBC wins for Most Improved in overall audience, with a 33% gain (compared to last season’s 6.963 million viewers) — the biggest jump for any network in a quarter of a century, when Fox skyrocketed by 46% in the 1988-89 TV season. NBC’s No. 2 finish in overall crowd (which it achieves with or without Olympics added in) is something to celebrate – being the network’s first non-fourth-place-finish in a decade. While Monday was a big story this season for NBC in a good way, it was a big story for CBS too, only one the network would rather forget. We Are Men at 8:30 disappeared quickly, taking with it the network’s comedy-block momentum. And at 10 PM, Hostages and Intelligence – CBS’s most un-CBS-like dramas, shriveled and died against NBC’s most CBS-like drama – the procedural crime drama The Blacklist.

Fox, meanwhile, finished No. 4 in overall audience, but is up 4% from last season’s 7.059 million. Fox was the setting for one of this season’s bigger stories: singing-competition meltdown. In the fall, The X Factor withered and died, despite Simon Cowell’s latest can’t-miss judge-panel revamp. More recently, American Idol’s bid to win back viewers with a kinder gentler celebrity judge panel of Keith Urban, JLo and Harry Connick Jr. has failed to stem audience loss.

This season’s total-viewer frontrunner CBS dropped 9% this season compared to last season’s 11.857 million viewers – which can be attributed in some measure to CBS having last year had the Super Bowl and the AFC Championship game in primetime (this year, Fox got the Super Bowl and the NFC Championship game in prime). ABC dropped 3% from last season’s 7.864 million. In its end-of-season talking points, CBS points with pride to its comedy success – the net’s total-viewer win includes 8 of the Top 10 comedies in viewers (and 7 of the Top 10 in the demo), with The Big Bang Theory finishing the season as the No. 1 scripted series in total viewers, in the demo, and in other key age brackets, like 18-34.

In the demo, the Top 20 programs (excluding pre-and-post-football programs) were:

1) Sunday Night Football (NBC)
2) The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
3) The Voice (NBC)
4) Modern Family (ABC)
5) Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
6) The Blacklist (NBC)
7) How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
8) The Voice – Tues (NBC)
9) Scandal (ABC)
10) Resurrection (ABC)
11) Criminal Minds (CBS)
12) NCIS (CBS)
13) Once Upon a Time (ABC)
14) American Idol – Wed (Fox)
15) Sleepy Hollow (Fox)
16) American Idol – Thurs (Fox)
17) 2 Broke Girls (CBS)
18) Survivor (CBS)
19) The Bachelor (ABC)
20) Marvel’s Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC)

In Total Viewers, NBC’s Sunday Night Football also is the season’s No. 1 ranked series:

1) Sunday Night Football (NBC)
2) The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
3) NCIS (CBS)
4) NCIS: LA (CBS)
5) Dancing With the Stars (ABC)
6) The Blacklist (NBC)
7) The Voice (NBC)
8) Person of Interest (CBS)
9) The Voice – Tues (NBC)
10) Blue Bloods (CBS)
11) Resurrection (ABC)
12) Criminal Minds (CBS)
13) Castle (ABC)
14) 60 Minutes (CBS)
15) Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
16) American Idol – Wed (Fox)
17) Scandal (ABC)
18) CSI (CBS)
19) Modern Family (ABC)
20) Elementary (CBS)

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/nbc-tv-ratings-demo-2013-2014-win-season/

Nielsen Notes (Broadcast)
ABC To Win May Sweep For First Time In 14 Years

With just three nights left to count, ABC will win its first May sweep in 14 years after finishing first in the demo on each of the final five weeks of the TV season. Stats for the final full week of the season (and the sweep) just in show ABC 20% ahead of CBS in the demo. ABC’s top-dog status for the fifth consecutive week continues the network’s longest winning streak in more than seven years – dating back to a six-week stretch at the start of the ’06-07 TV season, when Lost was a phenom, Grey’s Anatomy was starting its first full season, Desperate Housewives was entering its second full season and tearing up the ratings, and a more robust Dancing was kicking up on two nights a week.

Catapulting ABC to its May sweep win were many of the network’s 5 series landing in the Top 10 (and 7 of the Top 20) entertainment series on broadcast TV for the entire TV season in the demo. That ABC list includes Modern Family, which will finish the season at No. 3 (behind CBS’s Big Bang Theory and NBC’s Monday The Voice); Grey’s Anatomy at No. 4 (and the No. 1 ranked drama); Scandal, which is tied with NBC’s Tuesday The Voice at No. 7; Resurrection at No. 9; and Once Upon A Time at No. 10 in a four-way tie that also includes CBS’s NCIS and Criminal Minds, and Fox’s Wednesday American Idol. Of those series, Scandal did not contribute to ABC’s May sweep win, having been off the air since mid-April.

Boosting ABC last week: Barbara Walters primetime special finished No. 2 for the night in the demo — just 1/10th behind Shark Tank. And The Billboard Music Awards matched its 11-year high in the demo with the much talked about hologram performance by deceased Michael Jackson. Also, ABC’s Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. finale improved its Tuesday timeslot in the demo by 82% over last year (with Wipeout).

Also pitching in during the sweep: Dancing was up on Monday over year ago in the demo for each week in the sweep, Shark Tank wrapped up its best season ever, and Grey’s Anatomy climbed 5% for the season to achieve its best season in three years in the demo.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/abc-win-may-sweep-first-time-14-years/
post #94519 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
‘Jessie’ Renewed for 4th Season by Disney Channel
By Jethro Nededog, TheWrap.com - May 20, 2014

Disney Channel has locked down its popular series “Jessie” for a fourth season.

The kids’ cable channel has given an early renewal to the Debby Ryan-starrer while currently airing its third season. It's set to begin production in Los Angeles in August for a January 2015 return.

“‘Jessie’ is a fan favorite for kids and families all around the world,” Disney Channels Worldwide's executive vice president of original programming, Adam Bonnett, said in a statement.

“[Executive producer and creator] Pam Eells and the entire team behind ‘Jessie’ have made this television family a huge global hit,” he continued. “Our audience gets to continue the journey with these characters, watching the Ross kids grow up with Jessie guiding the way for them.”

Season 3 is TV's No. 1 telecast in its time period, and overall, it is TV's No. 2 live-action series for Kids 2-11 (1.6 million/4.0 rating) and Kids 6-11 (1.3 million/5.4 rating), and the No. 4 TV series in Tweens 9-14 (1.2 million/4.8 rating).

Ryan, who also serves as a show producer, stars on “Jessie” alongside Kevin Chamberlin, Peyton List, Karan Brar, Cameron Boyce and Skai Jackson.

The comedy follows Jessie Prescott (Ryan), a small town Texas girl who moves to New York City and becomes a nanny to a high profile couple's four children.

http://www.thewrap.com/jessie-renewed-for-4th-season-by-disney-channel/
post #94520 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Notes
Cable overnights: Slam dunk for TNT
By The Media Life Magazine - May 20, 2014

The NBA playoffs continued their hot streak Monday on TNT, with the opening game of the Western Conference finals finishing as the top show of the day on cable.

The Oklahoma Thunder-San Antonio Spurs contest averaged a 2.7 adults 18-49 rating at 9 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights.

That was also the No. 2 program on any network for the day, finishing behind only NBC’s “The Voice” with a 3.2.

The game also averaged 6.36 million total viewers.

The No. 2 show of the day on cable in the demo, and the No. 1 entertainment program, was VH1’s “Love and Hip Hop Atlanta,” which posted a 1.9 rating. That was up 0.2 from last week.

Top 10 Cable Programs
Ranked on Total Viewers
May 19
# Program Net (000)
1 NBA PLAYOFFS- CONF FNLS L-05/19/2014 TNT 6363
2 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-05/19/2014 USA 3903
3 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-05/19/2014 USA 3852
4 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-05/19/2014 USA 3535
5 LOVE & HIP HOP ATLANTA 3-05/19/2014 VH1 3417
6 SWAMP PEOPLE-05/19/2014 HIST 2995
7 INSIDE THE NBA PLAYOFFS-05/19/2014 TNT 2811
8 T.I. AND TINY 4-05/19/2014 VH1 2461
9 BIG BANG THEORY, THE-05/19/2014 TBSC 2445
10 FAMILY GUY-05/19/2014 ADSM 2192
Source: Nielsen

Top 10 Cable Programs
Ranked on Adults 18-49
May 19
# Program Net (000)
1 NBA PLAYOFFS- CONF FNLS L-05/19/2014 TNT 3388
2 LOVE & HIP HOP ATLANTA 3-05/19/2014 VH1 2350
3 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-05/19/2014 USA 1820
4 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-05/19/2014 USA 1791
5 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-05/19/2014 USA 1617
6 INSIDE THE NBA PLAYOFFS-05/19/2014 TNT 1584
7 T.I. AND TINY 4-05/19/2014 VH1 1540
8 FAMILY GUY-05/19/2014 ADSM 1416
9 BIG BANG THEORY, THE-05/19/2014 TBSC 1319
10 AMERICAN DAD-05/19/2014 ADSM 1286
Source: Nielsen

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/cable-overnights-slam-dunk-tnt/
post #94521 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Critic's Notes
'Modern Family' wedding is special for its normalcy
By Robert Bianco, USA Today - May 21, 2014

What's most notable and wonderful about Modern Family's special wedding episode is that it's not trying to be special.

Don't get me wrong: It's another excellent outing from a classic series, and a terrific way to end another fine season. But like most Modern episodes, tonight's finale (ABC, 9 ET/PT) is more interested in its gold-standard family of characters and actors than it is in making any social statement: The marriage of two of the show's main male characters is just taken as a given. We've come a long way since the fuss over prime time's first gay wedding, the 1996 Friends "very special episode" marriage of two female secondary characters.

In essence, this wedding completes a season-long arc that began with September's proposal. More specifically, though, it's the conclusion of a three-part story that was launched when Jay (Ed O'Neill) expressed doubts about the marriage, sparking an argument with Mitchell that was one of the show's most real and surprising. The conflict came out of nowhere, as family battles often do — violating our expectations of an instant happy resolution and leaving us to discover where Jay stands tonight.

Taken as a trilogy, these episodes showcase this Emmy-favored sitcom's range and depth. The realistic jolt of the first part was replaced by the more farcical wedding complications of the second, which give way tonight to a more sweetly emotional outing.

With this wedding, Modern exits on an indisputably strong note — but as for the season itself, dispute is inevitable. Viewers always wonder whether a great show has lost ground, as we struggle to separate the work being done now from the standard set before, our Emmy-fueled expectations, and our sometimes faulty memories. Ask people what any series' best season is, and the answer is seldom "This one."

That said, some slippage, some decrease in the level of excitement, happens to every show as it ages, and Modern is no exception. High points way outnumbered low this year, but the run as a whole did not seem as consistent or as consistently hilarious.

Part of the problem is that a few characters are flirting with calcification. While I still enjoy Rico Rodriguez's Manny and Eric Stonestreet's Cam, I sometimes feel like I've heard Manny's lines before, and I often wish Stonestreet would bring it down a notch. Or maybe it's just a wish that Mitchell were nicer to Cam, so Cam did not have to respond with squealed hurt feelings.

On the other hand, there are characters and performers who have grown. Nolan Gould has turned into an Emmy contender as Luke; Aubrey Anderson-Emmons adds a welcome acerbic tone as Lily; and Sarah Hyland has blossomed in a season that allowed Haley to be good at something and nice to someone — specifically Adam DeVine, who as the Pritchett's nanny is a great addition to the mix.

Whatever complaints there might be about consistency, never doubt that Modern has retained its ability to regularly produce best-in-the-business moments and episodes. Think back this season to the October outing that introduced DeVine and showcased the great Nathan Lane in Pepper's new role as wedding planner (Lane's put-down of a couch, "It's hideous. Surely this isn't news to you?" was one of the best throwaway lines of the season). Or consider Alex's moving visit to a therapist; Cam and Mitchell's table-side counseling session with a young couple; and the family's trip to Las Vegas — a Frasierian farce in its Platonic form.

Taken together, is that enough for another Emmy? That's hard to say in a season that includes the surging Big Bang Theory, a sparkling newcomer in HBO's Silicon Valley and the startling artistic anomaly that is Louie. But I can say this: I'm glad I'm not an Emmy voter being forced to choose.

Just be glad, as viewers, that we get to choose them all.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/05/20/modern-family-season-news-and-views/9326709/
post #94522 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Critic's Notes
2 Heroines Braving Challenges
Maya Rudolph gathers her celebrity BFFS for a fun night
By Alessandra Stanley, The New York Magazine - May 19, 2014

At some time or another, English majors have to deal with character and fate in the novels of Thomas Hardy.

At some time or another, television writers have to deal with the fate of characters on series like “The Good Wife” or “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.”

This season, both of those shows put their heroines through shocking, life-changing ordeals, for different reasons and with differing degrees of success.

“The Good Wife,” on CBS, didn’t have a choice. The writers had to accommodate the departure of one of the show’s lead actors, Josh Charles, so they killed off his character, Will Gardner, who among other things was an on again-off again love interest for the title character, Alicia Florrick (Julianna Margulies). And it’s a measure of the writers’ dexterity that even that unexpected twist didn’t rock the show’s metabolism.

“SVU,” on NBC, has already dealt with many departures, including that of a star, Christopher Meloni, in 2011. Despite new cast members, “SVU” chose this season to boost momentum and amp its ratings by putting Olivia Benson (Mariska Hargitay) at the mercy of a homicidal rapist — twice. And that stretch was less fortuitous, a sign that this show, which has been renewed for a 16th season, is running out of gas.

“The Good Wife” made the best of an unsought development and finished the season with a happier surprise: Sunday’s episode ended with Alicia contemplating her own run for public office, as state’s attorney, the same office her husband held when his extramarital affairs were revealed and he was forced to resign.

On Wednesday, this season of “SVU” will come to an end after a harrowing story arc that moved Benson into the victim’s chair, kidnapped and brutalized by a psychopath (Pablo Schreiber) who escaped from prison to capture and torture her all over again.

Even the most formulaic cop shows eventually turn inward and mine the personal lives of characters for added drama, and “SVU” is no exception. But this story line was more troubling.

It’s not the first time the show has put Olivia on the precipice of being sexually assaulted; in this case, her tormentor was a sadist who has raped numerous women but doesn’t cross the line with Olivia. The writers may have felt that viewers couldn’t stomach that outcome for a beloved and strong female character. Yet by going so far into the experience and then pulling back, they may also be sending the very message that the show was intended to combat: that rape is a degradation beyond all others and cannot be overcome.

Alicia’s brush with violence was not nearly as extreme, but it was also formative. When the series began in 2009, she was a passive stay-at-home wife whose life was torn apart by her husband’s scandal. Year after year Alicia, having returned to practicing law, has grown more assertive, self-sufficient and duplicitous — she is at times as cunning as some of her more unscrupulous colleagues. The death of Will was a loss that didn’t destroy her. If anything, it helped her stand up to her husband, Peter (Chris Noth), and live her own life.

Most important, the departure of Mr. Charles didn’t drain the show of its energy or sizzle, and that alone is an accomplishment. It’s always difficult to dispatch a popular character, but writers came up with an unusually deft way to do it. For most viewers, it was truly a shock when Will was killed in a courtroom shooting; it was even more shocking that the denouement didn’t leak ahead of time. The shooting, however unexpected, was well set up, with a defendant who gradually unravels before losing his mind and grabbing a gun.

The story didn’t instantly move on after Will’s death. Alicia and other friends and colleagues grieved in stages, but sorrow didn’t snuff out the lawyers’ ambitions, rivalry and paranoia: Office politics on that show have turned as convoluted and ruthless as the electoral politics in the governor’s office.

“The Good Wife” is both a drama about Alicia’s personal life and a classic courtroom procedural, and keeps its balance. “SVU,” a spinoff of the original “Law & Order,” began as a procedural but over time mined the drama in the personal lives of its detectives, and sometimes strayed too far from its mandate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/arts/television/comparing-the-arcs-of-the-good-wife-and-law-order-svu.html?rref=arts/television&module=Ribbon&version=origin&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Television&pgtype=article
post #94523 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Telemundo’s Diaz-Balart To Replace Chris Jansing on MSNBC
By Brian Steinberg, Variety.com - May 20, 2014

Telemundo anchor Jose Díaz-Balart will anchor MSNBC’s 10 a.m. hour live from Miami, Florida, starting in mid-June, replacing the departing Chris Jansing and her “Jansing & Co.”

Díaz-Balart currently co-anchors Telemundo’s “Noticiero Telemundo” and hosts “Enfoque con José Díaz-Balart,” and will continue to do so, the NBCUniversal-owned cable network said.

“MSNBC is committed to engaging new audiences and communities. To that end, I’ve been talking with José for several months about bringing his voice to MSNBC,” said Phil Griffin, the network’s president, in a prepared statement. “He has a keen understanding of the political landscape and three decades of experience in both broadcast and cable news.”

Díaz-Balart began his career in 1983 and has reported historic events and interviewed major political figures for prestigious news outlets including NBC News and Telemundo. His achievements include being the first journalist to serve as news anchor on two national television networks in Spanish and English on the same day for an entire season.

Jansing is moving to NBC News to become senior White House correspondent in Washington, D.C.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/telemundos-diaz-balart-to-replace-chris-jansing-on-msnbc-1201187319/

TV Notes
Fox Business To Launch ‘Making Money With Charles Payne’

Fox Business Network said it would launch “Making Money with Charles Payne,” a new show that will explore how the day’s headlines offer investment opportunities, starting June 2 at 6 p.m.

To accommodate the new program, FBN will elminate a repeat airing of “Cavuto” that had been running at 8 p.m., and move the original telecast up to that hour from 6 p.m.

“There are money making opportunities behind every headline and each day I am going to debate and analyze these potential investments with the aim of helping viewers find their confidence in the markets and realize their long-term dreams and goals,” Payne said in a statement.

The show stems from Payne’s regular “Making Money” segments that currently appear throughout FBN’s market hours programming.

Each night, Payne will be joined by a panel of business and market experts to debate the headlines, give viewers an end-of-day wrap, and provide an insider’s look at tomorrow’s money makers.

Payne joined FBN as a contributor in 2007 and appears across the network and Fox News Channel. He began his career on Wall Street as an analyst at E.F. Hutton in 1985. In 1991, he founded Wall Street Strategies, an independent stock market research firm where he serves as chief executive officer and principal analyst. He published his first book entitled “Be Smart, Act Fast, Get Rich” in May 2007. He attended Minot State College and Central Texas College during his time in the United States Air Force.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/fox-business-to-launch-making-money-with-charles-payne-1201187300/
post #94524 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
'Nurse Jackie' Co-Creator Set as 'Bad Judge' Showrunner
By Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - May 20, 2014

NBC's Bob Greenblatt is bringing Nurse Jackie's Liz Brixius back into the NBC fold.

The former Nurse Jackie co-showrunner/co-creator has been tapped to oversee the network's new Kate Walsh comedy Bad Judge, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Bad Judge marks the series TV return of Private Practice alum Walsh, who exec produces and stars as a hard-living, hard-rocking, sexually unapologetic woman who happens to be a highly respected judge in the San Bernardino criminal court system.

The single-camera comedy, from Universal Television and Gary Sanchez Productions, hails from writer Chad Kultgen (The Incredible Burt Wonderstone) and is exec produced by Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, Chris Henchy, Anne Heche, Jill Messick and Miguel Sandoval.

Brixius and Linda Wallem co-created and served as showrunners on Showtime's Nurse Jackie, which Greenblatt developed during his tenure at the premium cable network. After production wrapped on the Edie Falco starrer's fourth season, the duo exited the series as a result of their personal friction offscreen, sources told THR at the time.

For Brixius, female-driven comedy Bad Judge marks her second run on NBC after she served as a co-EP/writer on Matthew Perry's short-lived comedy Go On. Her credits include NBC's passed-over comedy pilot Girlfriend in a Coma and co-writing the screenplay for Katherine Heigl feature One for the Money. She's repped by WME.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nurse-jackie-creator-set-as-705951
post #94525 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Washington Notes
FCC chairman expresses concern about TV networks blocking websites
By Joe Flint, Los Angeles Times' 'Company Town' Blog - May 20, 2014

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler expressed concern during a congressional hearing over the growing practice of programmers blocking access to their websites during fights with pay-TV and broadband providers.

Asked by Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) if such incidents are a sign of the "cable-ization" of the Internet, a reference to the television blackouts that often occur when networks are unable to strike new distribution agreements, Wheeler said it is something "we should all worry about."

Wheeler made his remarks during a House Energy & Commerce Committee's subcommittee on communications and technology oversight hearing on the FCC.

Programmers argue that if they are blocking subscribers from getting their channel because of a contractual fight with their cable/broadband provider, it only makes sense to also make sure there is no end-around to that content via the Internet.

The practice of blocking consumers from websites if their cable/broadband provider is in a distribution fight is believed to have started a few years ago when Fox and Cablevision Systems Corp. were in a spat. Fox briefly blocked Cablevision subscribers who were also broadband customers from accessing its websites. After there was a backlash from media watchdogs, Fox stopped.

Last summer, when CBS signals went off of many Time Warner Cable systems, the network also blocked the cable company's customers from accessing the network's websites. CBS went so far as to block all Time Warner Cable subscribers access to their sites, not just those in the cities were there was a feud.

Currently, Viacom is blocking access to some of its online content to customers of Cable One, a pay-TV distributor it is having a fight with over regarding fees for its networks, including MTV and Comedy Central.

“Cable One has chosen to no longer carry Viacom programming and, as a result, it is no longer available to Cable One customers in any form," A Viacom spokesman said.

Where the issue gets complicated is when a programmer is blocking access to content that anyone can get for free from their website regardless of whether they have a subscription to a pay-TV provider.

Viacom noted that it isn't shutting down its entire site to Cable One customers. It just isn't making full episodes of shows available to them since the cable and broadband company currently has no contract to carry the channels.

One of the unintended consequences of this strategy, though, is that such blocking can also prevent a consumer who has a different pay-TV provider from getting access to a network's website merely because they have the wrong broadband provider.

In other words, a person who gets their TV from DirecTV or Dish but their broadband from the cable company could find themselves blocked even though their pay-TV provider is not engaged in any feud over channel fees.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-fcc-chairman-expresses-concern-about-tv-networks-blocking-websites-20140520-story.html
post #94526 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
'Gang Related': Police hooey on Fox
By Verne Gay, Newsday - May 19, 2014

THE SHOW "Gang Related"

WHEN | WHERE Premieres Thursday night at 9 on Fox/5

WHAT IT'S ABOUT
Ryan Lopez (Ramon Rodriguez) has history -- history of the barrio, where blood is thicker than water, and the ties you make there are ties for life. He's a hotshot in L.A.'s elite Gang Task Force, charged with bringing down the toughest gangs in the 'hood. But he still has ties to one of those -- Los Angelicos, run by the brutal Javier Acosta (Cliff Curtis), who goes to Lopez for information about the cops' next move. After his partner is gunned down by Acosta's son, Lopez has to pretend he knows nothing -- to his new partner, Cassius (RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan) and his boss, Sam Chapel (Terry O'Quinn).

MY SAY Almost everything you need to know about "Gang Related" is neatly packaged -- ribbon and bow included -- in this line of dialogue from O'Quinn's Chapel: "We found our shooter -- he's a two-striker aching for a third."

Beautiful! That's what's called "economy," for in those words you learn that "Gang Related" is hooey -- but deadly earnest hooey of the sort that prompts unintentional laughter at the darnedest times. Accept that fact -- embrace that fact -- and only then can you accept "Gang" for what it is: Summer pulp that sticks to script like a cheap suit to a sweat-drenched shirt.

"Gang Related" absolutely has its rough charms, albeit those of a comic book -- a full-speed-ahead cop romp without much in the way of brains or plot to slow down the action or at least make much sense of it. The whole series is essentially the story of Rodriguez's Lopez, the dirty cop who plays both sides against the middle and who gets away with the charade. We've seen this certainly before -- "The Shield" comes to mind, though best not to mention it and "Gang Related" in the same sentence, because someone just might get the spectacularly wrong idea they are in some way similar.

They are not, but that doesn't mean "Gang" isn't good for a few action sequences, and enough grit to pick out of your teeth by the end of each episode. If that's your idea of fun, have at it.

BOTTOM LINE Pulp hooey with a comic book vitality and earnestness that manages to keep it (usually) on track.

GRADE: C

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/gang-related-review-police-hooey-on-fox-1.8072405
post #94527 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
WEDNESDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - The Middle (Season Finale, 60 min.)
9PM - Modern Family (Season Finale)
9:31PM - Mixology (Series Finale)
10PM - Motive (Season Premiere)
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Adam Sandler; Elle Fanning; Lykke Li performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - Survivor (Season Finale, 120 min.)
10PM - Survivor: Reunion Special (Special)
11:35PM - Late Show with David Letterman (Army Sgt. Kyle J. White; Judy Greer; Dierks Bentley performs)
12:37AM - Late Show with Craig Ferguson (Jeff Foxworthy; The Colourist performs)

NBC:
8PM - Revolution (Series Finale)
9PM - Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (Season Finale)
10:01PM - Chicago P.D. (Season Finale)
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Hugh Jackman; musician Jimmy Page; Barry Gibb performs with The Roots; the winner of "The Voice'' sits in with The Roots)
12:36AM - Late Night with Seth Meyers (Jennifer Lawrence; Alan Cumming; Little Daylight performs)
1:37AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Chef Roy Choi; The Growlers perform; musical group Sylvan Esso)

FOX:
8PM - American Idol (Season Finale, 120 min., LIVE)

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Nature: The Gathering Swarms
9PM - NOVA: Bombing Hitler's Dams (120 min.)
(R - Jan. 11, 2012)

UNIVISION:
8PM - De Que Te Quiero, Te Quiero
9PM - Lo Que La Vida Me Robó
10PM - Qué Pobres Tan Ricos

THE CW:
8PM - The 100
(R - May 14)
9PM - The 100

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - La Impostora
9PM - En Otra Piel
10PM - Camilia La Texana

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Author and former Secretary of the U.S. Department of the Treasury Timothy Geithner)
11:31PM - The Colbert Report (Patrick Stewart)
12:01AM - @ Midnight (Matt Jones; Whitney Cummings; Moshe Kasher)

TBS:
11PM - Conan (Norm Macdonald; Mackenzie Davis; musical guest Veruca Salt)
Midnight - The Pete Holmes Show (Guests TBA)

E!:
11PM - Chelsea Lately (Charlize Theron)

SYNDICATION:
Check Local Listings - Arsenio (J.B. Smoove; Terry O'Quinn; DJ Rashida)
post #94528 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
‘Labyrinth,’ leading to a bloody end
Likely to the amusement of some and as a relief to many others
By Tom Conroy, Media Life Magazine - May 19, 2014

In productions of the final scene of “Hamlet,” the rapid-fire succession of onstage deaths can have an alienating — or, worse, comical — effect. This means that the production has failed to engage us emotionally.

The ending of The CW’s melodramatic miniseries “Labyrinth” has a “Hamlet”-like body count that will leave too many viewers snickering rather than sobbing. Until that point, it’s an intermittently enjoyable pile of historical-mystical hooey that almost looks like it’s going to go the distance.

Viewers who don’t mind eventual disappointment could have a little fun along the way.

Airing Thursday and Friday, May 22 and 23, at 8 p.m., the show tells the stories of two young women with parallel lives. Alaïs (Jessica Brown-Findlay) is a married noblewoman in early-13th-century southern France in the time leading up to the church’s crusade against the heretical Cathars.

Alice (Vanessa Kirby) is an American teacher who is getting over a bad breakup by volunteering on an archeological dig in the same part of France. A mild earthquake opens the entrance to a cavern in which she finds human remains, along with a wall painting and a ring, both with labyrinthine designs. After hearing voices, she passes out.

When the ring disappears, Alice becomes the target of a secret organization called the Noublesso, led by a femme fatale named Marie-Cécile. On the plus side, Alice gets to hang out with Marie-Cécile’s attractive American boyfriend, Will (Sebastian Stan).

Meanwhile — if an 800-year difference can be considered meanwhile — Alaïs’s father (Danny Keogh), worried about the coming of the Crusaders from the north, tells her that he is a member of a multicultural group that protects the Holy Grail. In this version of things, the Grail is actually three books of arcane knowledge that were compiled before Christ.

The only explanation for this that we can cobble together from the evidence in the movie is that the author of the novel on which it was based, Kate Mosse, saw how well “The Da Vinci Code” sold and decided to use the Grail brand.

But “The Da Vinci Code” had its own internal logic and built to a legitimate climax. This miniseries rambles aimlessly before stumbling at the end.

Both Alaïs and Alice spend most of their time trying to keep the Grail out of the hands of their chief antagonists. Marie-Cécile is allied with a creepy guy who dresses like a priest (Bernhard Schir), although at times it’s unclear whether they’re working together or not.

One of the noblemen leading the anti-Cathar crusade, Guy D’Evreux (Tony Curran), is actually hunting the three books. His ally, Simon de Montfort (John Lynch), is more interested in burning as many Cathars as possible, regardless of age or gender.

In both the medieval and the modern sections, the Roman Catholic Church looks as evil as it did in “The Da Vinci Code.” Normally, a review would warn members of the targeted group that they may want to stay away, but Catholics are used to this kind of treatment.

TV viewers in general, and thriller viewers in particular, are used to leaps of logic and inconsistencies, so we can probably pass on that warning as well.

On the plus side, both heroines are plucky and attractive. Jessica Brown-Findlay, who played the late Lady Sybil on “Downton Abbey,” has been absent too long. Both heroines deserve more compelling love interests; Alice and Will’s romance is particularly tepid.

The actors in smaller roles — including John Hurt and Janet Suzman — have résumés that read better than the script.

The locations — the show makes liberal use of the restored French medieval fortress city Carcassonne — and interiors are lovely. The medieval battle scenes are briefly stirring.

But by the time the dual plots have meandered to their bloody conclusions, viewers’ attention will have wandered. If they’re lucky, they won’t notice that “Labyrinth” leads to a dead end.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/labyrinth-leading-to-a-bloody-end/
post #94529 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
'Downton Abbey's' Julian Fellowes shares his problem with American TV
By Patrick Kevin Day, Los Angeles Times' 'Show Tracker' Blog - May 19, 2014

Is good TV the product of 100 people collaborating harmoniously or one authoritative voice working his or her will over supportive underlings? Julian Fellowes, creator of "Downton Abbey," and Beau Willimon, creator of the U.S. version of "House of Cards," have a slight difference of opinion.

It was one of the issues raised at The Envelope's Emmy Show Runners Round Table, which featured Fellowes, Willimon, Scott M. Gimple of "The Walking Dead," Michelle Ashford of "Masters of Sex" and Joel Fields of "The Americans" in conversation with Los Angeles Times TV critic Mary McNamara.

While you can learn a lot from a TV writer in a one-on-one interview, you can learn even more when he or she is brought together with several peers to talk about their work. Fellowes, whose "Downton Abbey" has become a huge success for PBS, sees TV as the product of a singular vision — his — brought to the screen by an army of creative people working for him.

But Willimon, whose "House of Cards" earned Netflix multiple Emmy nominations and three wins, relishes the idea of collaborating with many people in order to fully realize the vision.

"The collaborative aspect of working on a television show is totally different than on a film," Willimon said. "You have an ongoing dialogue with the other writers in the room, if you have a room. You have an ongoing dialogue with the actors. You can absorb what they're doing in front of the camera.... Several hundred heads are better than one."

But Fellowes disagreed. "I don't think several hundred heads are better than one," he immediately responded.

So how did this disagreement resolve itself? Find out in the video clip. [CLICK LINK BELOW]

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/tv/la-et-st-downton-abbeys-julian-fellowes-shares-his-problem-with-american-tv-20140516-story.html
post #94530 of 95809 Old 05-21-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

Yeah, but you're willing to change providers a lot more often than a lot of people are.
And you apparently don't mind changing email addresses, getting new equipment, etc.
Some people don't want to fuss with any of that. Frankly, if I had my way, set-top boxes would be outlawed and we would go back to the simple days of just hooking the cable up directly to the TV set.
Heck, I'd be willing to go back to the days before the VCR. Even the remote control was a pernicious invention!

I rarely change providers. I've had FiOS from 2007 to now. DirecTV from 2001 to 2007. And I had Comcast for a few of years between 2006 and 2009 to get channels at the time in HD that FiOS didn't have. And I would have never even considered leaving DirecTV if they hadn't ended support for TiVo back then. But it worked out for the best since I'm saving money on FiOS. And if FiOS had never come around in my area I would have stuck with Comcast.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page