post #95191 of 99341 Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But for some reason Baseball is popular. Now that can be very boring to watch.

I can't say I've really watched cricket. I know FiOS added an HD channel called "Willow" that is a Cricket channel. But I guess every sport has their own channel now.
1.2 billion Indians means cricket gets great ratings. I think the last cricket World Cup final slayed in viewership relative to the World Series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #95192 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Technology Notes
FIFA hands Luis Suarez nine-match international ban
By Jeff Borzello, CBSSports.com - Jun. 26, 2014

Uruguay star Luis Suarez has been suspended for nine international matches and four months of soccer-related activity for biting an opponent, FIFA announced on Thursday.
He should've gotten a year-long ban minimum, IMO. Pro players here get way worse punishment for getting caught smoking dope a few times, and they're only hurting themselves. Biting other players is about as low as you can get.

But this is FIFA, land of players who routinely take pansy fake falls to try and draw penalties. I am avidly watching this year's Cup but am disappointed in how much fakery you see in almost every match. Of course I don't watch soccer any other time, so I'm guessing this is par for the course and I should just accept it. But that and the lack of substantial punishment here reflects very poorly on the sport IMO.
vonzoog likes this.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 06-27-2014 at 07:31 AM.
post #95193 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
^^ Agreed. I think it should have been permanent, since it was his 3rd offense. I got a chuckle out of Suarez's bite, fall to the ground and hold his mouth game. A yellow card is supposed to be given for diving/floping, but I have yet to see one.
post #95194 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
But this is FIFA, land of players who routinely take pansy fake falls to try and draw penalties. I am avidly watching this year's Cup but am disappointed in how much fakery you see in almost every match. Of course I don't watch soccer any other time, so I'm guessing this is par for the course and I should just accept it. But that and the lack of substantial punishment here reflects very poorly on the sport IMO.
OTOH, you probably don't find the health carnage in their later years that afflicts a frighteningly large percentage of our footballers. Dementia, permanent joint and soft tissue damage, constant pain, etc. -- all are a by-product of American football that you probably don't see in soccer. So which sport fairs more poorly in the larger picture?

Disclaimer: I played tackle football; I love to watch tackle football. Don't know anything about the other kind as the explosion in youth soccer occurred long after I left school. But if I had a kid coming up today who wanted to play tackle football for the girls, glory, and peer-group acceptance, I would strongly encourage him to find another sport.

Last edited by archiguy; 06-27-2014 at 09:24 AM.
post #95195 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 281
The players know what they signed up for in our football, and I don't really see how that has anything to do with taking dives.
post #95196 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
OTOH, you probably don't find the health carnage in their later years that afflicts a frighteningly large percentage of our footballers. Dementia, permanent joint and soft tissue damage, constant pain, etc. -- all are a by-product of American football that you probably don't see in soccer. So which sport fairs more poorly in the larger picture?

Disclaimer: I played tackle football; I love to watch tackle football. Don't know anything about the other kind as the explosion in youth soccer occurred long after I left school. But if I had a kid coming up today who wanted to play tackle football for the girls, glory, and peer-group acceptance, I would strongly encourage him to find another sport.
Apparently there's a growing body of research that's indicating that the use of the head to hit the ball may cause CTE just as it is in NFL players. And think of all the times soccer players hit the ground, very hard, after extending and contorting themselves to hit or reach the ball. While they're technically not banging into each other like in the NFL, soccer players are stretching the limits of their bodies arguably more than NFL players given the manner of play and the continuous length of time they play the match.
post #95197 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 212
THURSDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insight's Blog
post #95198 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
CBS’s ‘Big Brother’ keeps on growing
Reality show posts a 2.3 in 18-49s, up 10 percent from last year
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Jun. 27, 2014

CBS’s “Big Brother” keeps chugging along.

For the second straight night, “Brother” improved over the previous year’s rating and boosted the network to a first-place finish.

“Brother” averaged a 2.3 adults 18-49 rating at 9 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, up 10 percent over a 2.1 for its first Thursday episode last year.

The program, now in its 16th season, was even to Wednesday night’s debut rating.

Elsewhere last night, ABC’s shows saw mixed results. “Rookie Blue” tumbled 27 percent from its premiere last week, to a 0.8 at 9 p.m., tying a series low, while “NY Med” returned at 10 p.m. with its best-ever audience in total viewers, 5.5 million.

NBC’s “Last Comic Standing” slumped to a series-low 1.0 in 18-49s at 10 p.m., off 29 percent from the previous week.

CBS finished first for the night among 18-49s with a 1.5 average overnight rating and a 5 share. Fox was second at 1.3/5, Univision third at 1.2/4, NBC fourth at 0.9/3, ABC fifth at 0.8/3, Telemundo sixth at 0.7/2, and CW seventh at 0.1/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-nine percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

Fox started the night in the lead with a 1.7 at 8 p.m. for “Hell’s Kitchen,” followed by CBS with a 1.4 for reruns of “The Big Bang Theory” and “The Millers.” Univision was third with a 0.9 for “De Que Te Quiero, Te Quiero,” NBC fourth with a 0.8 for a repeat of “Hollywood Game Night,” ABC fifth with a 0.6 for “Black Box,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.4 for “La Impostora” and CW seventh with a 0.1 for a “Vampire Diaries” rerun.

CBS took the lead at 9 p.m. with a 2.3 for “Brother,” while Univision moved to second with a 1.4 for “Low Que La Vida Me Robo.” ABC, NBC and Fox all tied for third at 0.8, ABC for “Blue,” NBC for “Undateable” and Fox for “Gang Related,” with Telemundo sixth with a 0.5 for “En Otra Piel” and CW seventh with a 0.1 for a repeat of “The Originals.”

At 10 p.m. Univision led with a 1.2 for “Que Pobres Tan Ricos,” with NBC and Telemundo tied for second at 1.0, NBC for “Comic” and Telemundo for “El Señor de los Cielos.” ABC was fourth with a 0.9 for “Med” and CBS fifth with a 0.7 for a repeat of “Elementary.”

Among households, CBS was first for the night with a 3.6 average overnight rating and a 6 share. ABC was second at 3.3/6, Fox third at 2.2/4, NBC fourth at 2.0/4, Univision fifth at 1.5/3, Telemundo sixth at 0.9/2, and CW seventh at 0.4/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/cbs...keeps-growing/

TV Notes (Cable)
Now the fall shows most likely to bomb
Topping the list is ABC's 'Selfie,' an unfunny, one-note show

Every year when the networks introduce their fall schedules, there is one show that media buyers and planners just know is going to bomb.

Sometimes it’s because the concept is so incredibly dumb, like ABC’s 2007 sitcom “Cavemen,” which was based on a series of Geico commercials.

And sometimes it’s because the show itself isn’t funny at all, like CBS’s “We Are Men” last fall.

This year it’s a little bit of both.

ABC’s “Selfie,” a show about a woman whose social media stock takes a dive, sending her on a journey to remake herself a la “Pygmalion,” is this year’s surefire bomb.

It’s rarely a good idea to try to jump on something trendy but fleeting like the word “Selfie.” The term will be dated by fall.

And the one-note premise doesn’t bode well for the series. It’s hard to imagine it can be drawn out for three episodes, let alone 13.

But the biggest thing “Selfie” has going against it is it’s not funny. A funny show can overcome a bad title or one-note premise; consider “Cougar Town,” which has lasted for five years. An unfunny show has no shot.

In addition to “Selfie,” here are four other fall shows that seem destined to bomb, based on readers’ input and conversations with media buyers and planners.

NBC’s “Bad Judge” (Thursdays at 9 p.m.)

There’s something a little off about this show, which is about a judge who acts like a delinquent in her downtime, but its biggest problem is its timeslot.

It airs at 9 p.m. Thursday, where NBC has struggled the past year, and it will be up against CBS’s “Thursday Night Football,” which will draw the male audience NBC appears to be chasing.

Fox’s “Utopia” (Tuesdays at 8 p.m. and Fridays at 9 p.m.)

The network is billing the $50 million show a “social experiment,” sending 15 people out on their own to develop the perfect society.

But considering the show’s pricetag and the fact that there hasn’t been a fall hit reality show launched in years, it could be a disaster.

CBS’s “Stalker” (Wednesdays at 10 p.m.)

Procedurals definitely have a dark side, but this show about the people who hunt down obsessive exes and creepy callers may be a bit too dark for broadcast.

It makes lead-in “Criminal Minds” look light.

Fox’s “Mulaney” (Sundays at 9:30 p.m.)

It’s been years since Fox had a hit non-animated Sunday show. “Mulaney” is intermittently funny but probably not enough to keep “Family Guy” viewers around till 10.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/now...s-likely-bomb/
post #95199 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Sherri Shepherd, Jenny McCarthy out at 'The View'
By Trey Barrineau, USA Today - Jun. 27, 2014

Sherri Shepherd will no longer be part of The View -- and Jenny McCarthy is leaving as well.

"It's been seven wonderful years on The View and after careful consideration it is time for me to move on. I am extremely grateful to Barbara Walters and (executive producer) Bill Geddie for giving me the opportunity," Shepherd said in a statement to The Wrap. "I look forward to the business opportunities that lay ahead for me and I am incredibly grateful to my View family and my fans for supporting me on this journey.

ABC confirmed McCarthy's departure in an e-mail to USA TODAY, which included a statement: "The View will be moving in an exciting new direction next season and ABC has made decisions to evolve the show creatively."

McCarthy also tweeted about leaving the show:

"My View will be changing too. As will with many hard working folks. Thanks to everyone at the show for your dedication and an amazing year."

The departure of Shepherd and McCarthy comes a little over a month after The View co-creator Barbara Walters retired from hosting duties.

Shepherd, 47, joined the talk show as a guest co-host in 2006. That became a full-time gig the following year. Prior to that, she had a career as an actress and comedian.

McCarthy, 41, joined The View in 2013 after a career as a model, TV host and actress.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...view/11437147/
post #95200 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
FRIDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - Shark Tank
(R - Feb. 21)
9PM - What Would You Do?
10PM - 20/20
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Ludacris, Kesha, Josh Groban and Brad Paisley; Internet personality Michael Stevens; Brad Paisley performs)
(R - Jun. 17)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - Undercover Boss: Hudson Group
(R - Jan. 31)
9PM - Hawaii Five-0
(R - Mar. 14)
10PM - Blue Bloods
(R - Dec. 13)
11:35PM - Late Show with David Letterman (Animal expert Jack Hanna; Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks perform)
(R - May 19)
12:37AM - Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (Ice-T; Mackenzie Davis; Body Count performs)

NBC:
8PM - A Leap of Faith: A Meredith Vieira Special (120 min.)
9PM - Crossbones
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Kevin Spacey; comic Lewis Black)
(R - May 2)
12:36AM - Late Night with Seth Myers (Charlie Rose and Gayle King; Aidy Bryant; author Linda Fairstein)
(R - Jun. 10)
1:37AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Director Gareth Evans; Arthur Beatrice performs; "Finding Vivian Maier")
(R - Mar. 26)

FOX:
8PM - MasterChef
(R - Jun. 23)
9PM - Rake

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Washington Week with Gwen Ifill
8:30PM - Charlie Rose: The Week
9PM - Great Performances at the Met: La Boheme (2 1/2 hrs.)

UNIVISION:
8PM - De Que Te Quiero, Te Quiero
9PM - Lo Que la Vida Me Robó
10PM - Qué Pobres Tan Ricos

THE CW:
8PM - Whose Line Is It Anyway?
(R - Aug. 27)
8:30PM - Whose Line Is It Anyway?
(R - Sep. 3)
9PM - Hart of Dixie
(R - Nov. 4)

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - La Impostora
9PM - En Otra Piel
10PM - El Señor de los Cielos

HBO:
10PM - Real Time with Bill Maher (LIVE; Microbiologist Dr. Martin Blaser; author Max Brooks; radio talk-show host Andy Dean; journalist Bobby Ghosh; journalist Joy Reid)

E!:
11PM - Chelsea Lately (Megan Good)

Last edited by dad1153; 06-27-2014 at 11:42 AM.
post #95201 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jun. 27, 2014

TREASURE ISLAND
TCM, 8:00 p.m. ET

In 1939, five years after making this cinematic adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson pirate adventure novel, Victor Fleming would go on to direct two movies that are even more classic: The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind. (Not bad, for a same-year twofer.) But you can see his visual flair, and love of both spectacle and character, in this movie as well. Young Jackie Cooper plays Jim Hawkins, the boy who becomes embroiled in adventure aboard a pirate ship captained by Long John Silver – played with glee by Wallace Beery. Lionel Barrymore co-stars as Billy Bones, and the whole movie still works.

GREAT PERFORMANCES AT THE MET: "LA BOHEME"
PBS, 9:00 p.m. ET

This particular performance of Puccini’s La Boheme, recorded in April as part of the transmitted-live-to-theaters worldwide HD live opera simulcast, has a behind-the-scenes story as dramatic as anything on stage. This opera’s staging by Franco Zefferelli is one of the most popular and most-repeated productions in the Met canon – but on this particular occasion, there were unforeseen problems. The leading lady, Romanian soprano Anita Hartig, came down with a bad case of the flu – and informed the show’s producers of that fact in the early morning hours the day of the scheduled live simulcast. Rather than cancel the New York Metropolitan Opera matinee, and the global simulcast, the producers went with an unprecedented solution and found an instant replacement: Latvian soprano Kristine Opolais, who had made her Met debut the previous night, starring as Cio-Cio-San in another Puccini masterpiece, Madame Butterfly. She knew the role of Mimi in La Boheme, having sung it in other productions, and embarked on an all-morning crash course to try and learn the staging, the timing, and to get a feel of her co-stars’ vocal and acting approaches. The performance you’ll see on TV tonight is the result: the first time in Met history that an actress performed two different starring roles on successive days. That electricity you’re watching, as Opolais sings with Vittorio Grigolo as Rodolfo and others, isn’t just coming from your TV set. It’s coming from the performers of this operatic high-wire act – and from the audience, too. Wait for the curtain call. Check local listings.

BLUE JASMINE
Starz!, 9:00 p.m. ET

Woody Allen made a later-in-career mini-masterpiece with 2011’s Midnight in Paris, then turned around and made 2012’s quietly charming To Rome with Love and then, in 2013, this film, for which Cate Blanchett won a well-deserved Oscar. But hers is only one of several impressive performances, some of them somewhat unexpected. British actress Sally Hawkins, as the less affected sister to Blanchett’s high-strung Jasmine, nails her American role like she’s channeling Sarah Silverman. And speaking of comics, look at the comics who do so, so well in supporting roles: Louis C.K. and, believe it or not, Andrew Dice Clay, both of whom are utterly perfect. And as for Blanchett… wow.

GIRL MEETS WORLD
Disney, 9:45 p.m. ET
SERIES PREMIERE:
This is a next-generation Disney Channel sequel to ABC’s Boy Meets World, which was very popular with a generation just now old enough to start having kids of their own and gather them in front of the TV set – if people still do that sort of thing these days. Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel, who starred in that 1993-2000 series as Cory and Topanga, are back in the same roles – this time as spouses, and parents of a teen girl, played by Rowan Blanchard, who takes center stage in this new sitcom, and in its title. Watch it as a nostalgia exercise, as an example of very young nostalgia.

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER
HBO, 10:00 p.m. ET

One of Bill Maher’s guests tonight is a second-generation Hollywood creative force: Max Brooks, the author whose book inspired the Brad Pitt movie World War Z, and whose latest work is a graphic novel telling the true story of the Harlem Hellfighters, a largely forgotten black regiment fighting in World War I. Max Brooks is an interesting writer, and by all accounts a nice guy, in his own right – but he also happens to the son of proud papa Mel Brooks, one of our favorite people here at TV Worth Watching. So go, Max. And hi, Mel…

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

TV Sports
Rusty Tiger, Burning Bright: Woods is Back, and Golf TV is Thrilled
By Gerald Jordan, TVWorthWatching.com - Jun. 27, 2014

A rusty Tiger Woods is better than no Tiger Woods at all.

For 109 days, golf fans have awaited word from on high. Will he return this year? Will he ever return? And those are just the network bosses, fretting over drops in ratings in the absence of the man who in that time off has been replaced as No. 1 and now is the No. 5 world ranked professional golfer. Woods, who left competition in March when he announced that he would have back surgery to correct a pinched nerve, is the guy who his fellow tour pros say “moves the needle.”

This golf season, the needle hasn’t moved much.

Steve DiMeglio of USA Today reported that a Tigerless Masters’ tournament this year attracted 28 percent fewer final-round viewers than last year. The Players Championship, without Woods defending his 2013 title, lost 54 percent of viewers from the final round last year. The U.S. Open final round was 46 percent down from a year ago.

Golf fans watched those events. Bubba Watson was steely in winning the Masters. Golf fans cheered for 20-year-old Jordan Spieth or wily veteran Jim Furyk to win The Players Championship, but ice cold Martin Kaymer won that one, and snagged the U.S. Open a few weeks later.

Casual fans, who don’t know a wedge from a long-iron from a fairway metal, would have tuned in to see a red-shirted Tiger Woods on all the Sundays of those tournaments. He wasn’t in the field, though, and the casuals weren’t watching.

The Golf Channel presentation of the tournament from Congressional Country Club spared no hype, except for sounding the heralding trumpets. The gauzy highlights from Tiger triumphs past and the dramatic background music left no question: Tiger Woods is back.

At least for another round.

Remember the rust? Woods shot three over par Thursday (yesterday) at Congressional in the first round of the tournament that supports his charitable foundation.

What started with a post on social media -- Tiger Woods was taking “full swings” -- quickly erupted into bold-lettered promos announcing that Woods would be in the field this week. His rehab had been so secretive that only the NSA likely knew for sure just where he was on his plans to return. The PGA cognoscente pegged a possible Tiger return around the British Open next month.

He’s back perhaps a couple of weeks early, to the worry of some experts, but to the delight of casual fans. Sir Nick Faldo probably had the best advice when he told the Golf Channel audience Thursday that Woods, who is six months shy of his 39th birthday, would do best to play at about 80 percent of full strength.

His three-over Thursday round showed the rust, but his birdie string on the finishing holes showed that he’s still Tiger Woods.

Depending upon where the line is drawn to winnow the field of 120 golfers after the second round today (Friday), seen beginning at 12:30 ET on the Golf Channel, Woods might be around for the weekend.

If so, break out your copies of Golf For Beginners and knock the rust off your PGA viewing habits.

Tiger Woods is back, and golfdom is elated.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogP...px?postId=7663
post #95202 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Critic's Notes
America Is Getting Really Tired of Singing Competitions. What Should Networks Do Now?
By Josef Adalian, Vulture.com (New York Magazine) - Jun. 27, 2014

ABC’s heavily hyped new singing competition Rising Star didn’t exactly tank with its Sunday premiere: About 5 million people watched, many of them under 35, which, in the summertime, hardly qualifies as a disaster. But audience sampling of the show was definitely meh, viewer levels crept down throughout the two-hour bow, and overall, ABC execs had to be deeply disappointed by the show’s very soft performance. After all, the Alphabet network had been touting Rising Star for months, most recently with a relentless promo assault during its coverage of the NBA Finals and World Cup games airing on ABC.

(Interestingly, sister net ESPN did not air a dedicated Rising Star promo during this weekend’s big USA-Portugal matchup. Disney synergy has its limits, apparently.) The network shelled out significant dollars up front on the show, paying handsomely for everything from a spiffy-looking set and specialized voting app to whatever it costs these days to hire singers such as Ke$ha and Josh Groban. And the result of all this effort? Cheap-o Canadian import Rookie Blue delivered nearly a million more viewers to ABC last week.

Despite its inauspicious debut, it’s probably a tad premature to declare Rising Star a total failure. As noted, the series did an okay job of bringing in young viewers (increasingly hard to do for broadcast networks these days), and it’s possible (though probably unlikely) word of mouth will allow the show’s ratings to, er, rise over the course of the summer, much as American Idol did a dozen years ago. But whatever the final verdict on ABC’s latest unscripted effort, the lackluster viewer response to such an aggressively marketed network premiere underscores something that’s been apparent for months now: The TV music-competition series, which dominated pop culture for most of the first decade of this century, is now well past its peak. What does that mean for the networks still heavily invested in the genre, and those (like ABC) still dreaming of launching the next American Idol? Cue up your favorite Kelly Clarkson playlist, and let’s consider where things stand now:

The Voice is starting to sound a little raspy.
NBC’s chair-spinning musical contest has replaced American Idol as our country’s biggest primetime talent showcase, and it would be incorrect to describe it as anything but a massive asset for the network. And yet, signs abound that The Voice’s best ratings days are probably behind it. This spring’s finale was down about 25 percent from a year ago, while overall, the show shed about 12 percent of its young-adult audience during the 2013-14 season. While such declines are no reason to panic, they’re not the kinds of numbers you’d expect for a big, buzz-worthy hit that’s barely three years old. (ABC’s Scandal, by contrast, grew 45 percent in its third season.) NBC’s challenge over the next year or so is to make sure these modest declines don’t turn into major viewer defections.

Part of the Peacock’s problem, of course, is the strategic call it made shortly after The Voice took off: Rather than make its singing show an annual event, as Idol has always been, NBC brass opted to air two cycles of the show each year. It was a logical move, since the omnipresence of The Voice was a key reason NBC has gone from worst to first since 2011. But as execs surely knew would happen, making The Voice less special has made the show, well … less special (as the declining ratings underscore). Producer Mark Burnett has been smart about doing everything possible to keep The Voice feeling fresh, such as rotating in new judges each cycle and adding twists to the game. The time may be coming for more drastic action, however. At some point, NBC execs will have to seriously consider cutting down their reliance on The Voice by airing just one cycle each year. It won’t happen this year, given how much NBC still needs to bulk up its stable of scripted successes, and considering how well the three hours of Voice the network airs each week do in the ratings. Before too long, however, NBC may have to accept some short-term pain to ensure the long-term future of TV’s biggest music franchise. If it times things right, however, it is not at all inconceivable that The Voice could last another decade, particularly as broadcast networks increasingly look to specialize in DVR-proof event programming.

The idea that American Idol is over is a little overblown.
Yes, the show is a shadow of its former self, and no, it’ll almost certainly never dominate pop culture the way it did as recently as three years ago. But that’s no reason for Fox to lean in to the media caricature of Idol as some washed-up loser of a show that’s fallen into an irreversible death spiral. As awful as ratings were last season, Idol remained one of the network’s top shows, particularly during its first few weeks back on the air in January and February. Ratings didn’t really begin to dive until the show entered the top 12 phase, perhaps indicating that Idol’s core audience was rejecting a bunch of bland and boring singers more than the show itself. But even then, with viewers bailing at a rapid clip, aging Idol still drew okay ratings (often beating the network’s Tuesday comedies, Glee and newcomers such as Rake). Even when Idol gave viewers its worst, a sizable audience base stayed loyal.

Unfortunately, all signs from Fox suggest the network doesn’t share this rosy scenario. In what will likely end up being his last press conference as chairman of Fox Entertainment, soon-to-depart exec Kevin Reilly seemed to talk of Idol almost in the past tense, mentioning fewer episodes next year and possibly a reduction to one night per week. Reilly now won’t guide the show through its next phase, but odds are the person (or people) who replace him will have absolutely no connection to Idol, and thus be even more likely to cut Idol loose. This would be a shame, because as much as last season may have soured a certain segment of viewers on the franchise, there’s a good chance that the viewers who’ve stuck with the show this long will once again give Idol another shot come January. If that happens, and if producers can manage to find a better gang of would-be superstars, it doesn’t seem ridiculous to imagine Idol finally halting its ratings slide, or even ticking up slightly. Much as CBS’s Survivor has become a staple of the Eye’s primetime lineup long after it stopped being a phenomenon, so, too could Idol endure, perhaps eventually with less costly celebrity judges and as a summer show. Bottom line: Throwing away one of TV’s most spectacularly successful (and profitable) franchises because of a few bad seasons just doesn’t make sense. (Caveat to the bottom line: If producers and judges once again fail to come up with interesting contestants next year, then we might be the first begging Fox to put Idol out of its misery.)

The time has come for a voluntary ban on any new attempts to find the Next Big Musical Superstar.
No matter what critics thought of Rising Star, odds are the show was never going to take off in a big way, if only because of viewers’ singing-competition fatigue. Now, until someone commissions a scientific poll, there’s no way to know for sure that audiences are totally over self-important music competitions. But logic suggests there’s only so much bandwidth for this kind of show, and Idol and Voice seem to be taking up a lot of said bandwidth. ABC execs ignored that logic because they really, really want a music competition show to call their own. And CBS brass seem just as committed: In February, the Eye unofficially confirmed it was developing an American version of a singing show format from Turkey called In the Spotlight, a sort of American Idol speed-dating competition in which crooners get 15-20 seconds to get noticed before another wannabe gets turn. The producer of the U.S. show: none other than former Idol grand poo-bah Nigel Lythgoe. With all respect to CBS and Lythgoe, this project really ought to just go away. No matter how interesting it might end up being, it’s just hard to see audiences embracing another new show designed to pick a single musical star. We’ve got two such shows already, and we're not even into those shows that much anymore. So why try to force another one on the air? Stop it!

But if networks must keep doing music-themed shows, maybe bringing back some golden oldies would work.
TV’s current singing shows (successful and failed) all basically revolve around finding a singular talent and crowning a winner. But what’s not on network TV right now is a singing show that plays on the dynamics of a group. You know, something like the competition/documentary series Making the Band, which ran on ABC for two years at the turn of the century, chronicling the "rise" of boy-band O-Town (and was then reformatted by MTV and Diddy). Or Rock Star, the cult-classic reality competition (if such a thing exists) that Mark Burnett produced for CBS from 2005-06 (it help find a new lead singer for INXS in season one). And even before Idol, the now-dead WB network was ahead of its time with 2001’s let's-create-a-band show Popstars (two words: Eden’s Crush). None of these series were massive hits when they aired, but they all did decently, particularly with viewers who were teens and 20-somethings at the time. If CBS and ABC insist on trying to launch music shows of their own, rather than try to get viewers invested in some slightly different take on The Voice or Idol, it might make more sense to simply reboot concepts that kinda sorta worked in the past.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/ameri...petitions.html
post #95203 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Best tube bets this weekend
The top draws on broadcast and cable and in sports
By Louisa Ada Seltzer, Media Life Magazine - Jun. 27, 2013

FRIDAY

Best bet on broadcast
: NBC, “A Leap of Faith: A Meredith Vieira Special” 8 p.m.
Vieira special about a medical breakthrough involving regenerative medicine.

Best bet on cable: Disney Channel, “Zapped” 8 p.m. Summer Disney Channel movies tend to do well, will this be the latest?

Top sporting event: NBCSN, “NHL Draft,” 7 p.m. Coverage of the first round of the draft from Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

SATURDAY

Best bet on broadcast
: Fox, “Major League Baseball,” 7 p.m.
Cardinals vs. Dodgers and Yankees vs. Red Sox highlight this weekend’s regional games.

Best bet on cable: Comedy Central, “Whitney Cummings: I Love You,” 11 p.m. Former “Whitney” star delivers a stand-up performance in Irvine, Calif.

Top sporting event: ABC, Univision, “Soccer,” 12 p.m. It’s South America day at the World Cup, with round-of-16 games including Brazil-Chile and Colombia-Uruguay.

SUNDAY

Best bet on broadcast
: CBS, “Unforgettable,” 10 p.m. Season premiere.
Al and Carrie work alongside the Secret Service in a murder investigation.

Best bet on cable: Showtime, “Californication,” 9:30 p.m. Series finale. Hank makes a life-changing decision, and later he invites Julia to a special dinner.

Top sporting event: ESPN, Univision, “Soccer,” 12 p.m. The day starts with an interesting round-of-16 matchup between Netherlands and Mexico, followed by the stage’s most surprising matchup, Greece versus Costa Rica.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/bes...ts-weekend-39/

Nielsen Notes
Cable overnights: ‘Duck Dynasty’ flies lower
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Jun. 27, 2013

A&E’s hit reality show just can’t duck ratings declines this summer.

“Duck Dynasty” averaged a 1.2 adults 18-49 rating Wednesday night, according to Nielsen, off 20 percent from last week’s 1.5 rating.

The show slid among total viewers, too, from 3.9 million to 3.4 million total viewers, its lowest in more than two years.

“Duck” was still the top cable show for the day in total viewers.

In the demo, repeats of “Family Guy” on Adult Swim and “The Big Bang Theory” on TBS actually topped “Duck.”

Elsewhere, MTv’s “Catfish” fell a tenth from last week, to a 0.9.

Top 10 Cable Programs
Ranked on Total Viewers
June 25
# Program Net (000)
1 DUCK DYNASTY-06/25/2014 AEN 3413
2 BIG BANG THEORY, THE-06/25/2014 TBSC 3080
3 BIG BANG THEORY, THE-06/25/2014 TBSC 3036
4 CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF M-06/25/2014 DSNY 2776
5 SUITS-06/25/2014 USA 2755
6 FAMILY GUY-06/25/2014 ADSM 2732
7 BIG BANG THEORY, THE-06/25/2014 TBSC 2623
8 THE OREILLY FACTOR-06/25/2014 FOXNC 2543
9 LAW & ORDER: SVU-06/25/2014 USA 2444
10 FAMILY GUY-06/25/2014 ADSM 2443
Source: Nielsen

Top 10 Cable Programs
Ranked on Adults 18-49
June 25
# Program Net (000)
1 FAMILY GUY-06/25/2014 ADSM 1632
2 BIG BANG THEORY, THE-06/25/2014 TBSC 1572
3 BIG BANG THEORY, THE-06/25/2014 TBSC 1520
4 DUCK DYNASTY-06/25/2014 AEN 1498
5 FAMILY GUY-06/25/2014 ADSM 1430
6 BIG BANG THEORY, THE-06/25/2014 TBSC 1269
7 WORLD CUP SOCCER L-06/25/2014 ESPN 1150
8 AMERICAN DAD-06/25/2014 ADSM 1113
9 CATFISH: THE TV SHOW SSN3-06/25/2014 MTV 1102
10 WORLD CUP SOCCER L-06/25/2014 ESPN 1061
Source: Nielsen

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/cab...y-flies-lower/
post #95204 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 123
News: Big Brother finally goes HD
News: Big Brother grows in ratings from last year..

I wonder why?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #95205 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Double (I swear I only hit reply once)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #95206 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Double (I swear I only hit reply once)
Don't doubt that, I really despise this new forum, not the layout, just the way it acts. It seems to constantly be loading, you scroll down reading posts and the next thing you know it jumps you to the middle of the page again. Script not responding errors, shockwave not responding, it's a mess and a pain on my system.
post #95207 of 99341 Old 06-27-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
Don't doubt that, I really despise this new forum, not the layout, just the way it acts. It seems to constantly be loading, you scroll down reading posts and the next thing you know it jumps you to the middle of the page again. Script not responding errors, shockwave not responding, it's a mess and a pain on my system.
Not only that but on the mobile version tapping on the forum link goes to the last post, not to the last post I read, which is how it used to be. Unlike the desktop version the mobile version doesn't have that little down arrow that takes you to the last post you read.
post #95208 of 99341 Old 06-28-2014, 12:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV/Business Notes
Will Aereo’s Court Loss Clear The Way For Broadcast TV Streaming From Syncbak?
By David Lieberman, Deadline.com - Jun. 27, 2014

Many TV stations didn’t want to forge streaming alliances with the Iowa-based company while it looked like Aereo might dominate the market to take their over-the-air signals to the Internet — without any agreements. But that could change following this week’s Supreme Court’s ruling that Aereo’s business model violates copyright law. “With this decision behind us, you’ll see movement accelerate over the next few months” as stations leave the sidelines to deploy Syncbak’s technology, company founder and CEO Jack Perry tells me.

I know, that’s just what you’d expect him to say. But Syncbak‘s taken seriously: Investors include CBS, the National Association of Broadcasters, the Consumer Electronics Association, and former NBC execs Bill Bolster, Michael Gartner, and Ed Scanlon. About 150 stations already use its technology with Apple and Android apps. Fox’s WNYW New York is the largest, but Gray Television and Northwest Broadcasting also are on board. Small broadcasters have been most receptive: Perry says it only costs $3,000 to take a station’s signal online. They also have less to fear from Aereo. It has to build antenna farms to serve a market and, with the investment that entails, “I don’t think they could have gone beyond market No. 30,” Perry says.

Syncbak’s biggest challenge is to figure out, with stations, what business models make sense. “Some stations are dabbling with free,” Perry says — but most likely will want to limit themselves to cable and satellite subscribers who use the distributors’ TV Everywhere platforms. Syncbak hopes to iron the business issues out this year. If it does, then “we’re ready to roll out in early 2015,” he says.

Is he right about Syncbak’s prospects after the Supreme Court’s verdict? “Great question,” says BTIG’s Richard Greenfield, an early and outspoken Aereo supporter. “Not sure yet.”

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/sync...ourt-decision/
post #95209 of 99341 Old 06-28-2014, 12:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Esquire Network to Air Spain's Famed Running of the Bulls Live
By Linda Ge, TheWrap.com - Jun. 27, 2014

Esquire Network has set “Running of the Bulls 2014,” an eight-night coverage of the annual sporting event in Pamplona, Spain, as its first-ever live TV event.

Staring on Monday, July 7 at 2 a.m., Guad Venegas of Telemundo's “Al Rojo Vivo con María Celeste” will host each night of live coverage from Spain, offering exclusive commentary and interviews with participants and spectators from the event.

Confirmed interviews include Joe Distler, the infamous “Iron Man of Pamplona,” who has done the Run every year from 1967 to 2012; and John Hemingway, the grandson of Ernest Hemingway, who helped romanticize and popularize the Running of the Bulls in “The Sun Also Rises.”

“Running of the Bulls 2014” is produced by Wilshire Studios, a division of NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment.

http://www.thewrap.com/esquire-netwo...he-bulls-live/
post #95210 of 99341 Old 06-28-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Technology Notes
Apple vs. Google: The race is on for the wrist, TV, car
By Jefferson Graham, USA Today - Jun. 27, 2014

SAN FRANCISCO — Google and Apple are reaching beyond smartphones, tablets and computers to connect with our living rooms, cars and even our bodies.

This month, both tech titans detailed presentations to software developers, outlining their vision. Which one is closer to making it happen?

The short answer: both still have a ways to go. But let's take a look at the various battle categories for a status update on the two biggest companies in tech.

WEARABLES

Google showcased three new watches from LG, Samsung and Motorola. They pair with Android phones to bring texting, e-mail and other notifications to your wrist. Smartwatches from a variety of companies, including Sony, Samsung and Pebble, have been available for the past year and a half, but none has struck a big chord with the public. Another big one is waiting in the wings: Apple is expected to introduce its smartwatch in the fall.

Google's pitch is that with the familiar Android interface and ability to interact with popular phones its new "Android Wear" line can improve on what's been available and save consumers from having to check their phones as often. Search Engine Land editor Danny Sullivan was impressed. "Not having to set reminders on your watch but instead it just knowing what it should remind you about is an attractive prospect."

But Richard Doherty, an analyst with the Envisioneering Group, says there is an "Achilles heel" in the Google wearables plan. The watches require compatible phones running the most current version of Android, and many Android phones still run older versions.

"A chain is as strong as its weakest link," he says.

Greg Sterling, an analyst with Opus Research, says only one of Google's trio of watches — the Motorola 360, which resembles a traditional round watch — has a shot at "mainstream" appeal. For Apple, if the iWatch is "nicely designed and affordable" it could become "the breakthrough wearable product."

PHONES

Apple's iPhone was the first smash hit in the smartphone genre, but Google has won the war by flooding many models of Android phones around the globe.

Today, some 1 billion people use Android devices. But developers, the folks who make apps like Instagram, Snapchat and WhatsApp, generally prefer Apple's iOS platform. "Everyone develops for iOS first," says Cody Walker, an Android developer here at I/O. "People are more likely to buy apps and in-app purchases on iOS."

And Google doesn't make money directly from its Android dominance. It gives the operating system away for free, hoping that more phones and tablets will produce more searches — and more opportunity to see its ads. Innovation in phones recently has been more dominant from Google, where its voice-activated search technology makes Apple's digital assistant Siri seem 20th century. Apple is expected to introduce a new iPhone with a larger screen in the fall. "It will also be interesting when the larger-screen iPhone(s) come out whether some number of Android users defect," says Sterling. "This has been the big issue and the chief differentiator between the iPhone and Android from a hardware perspective."

AUTOS

Apple and Google both want to be in your car, to provide a vehicle for you to use apps while driving. Apple introduced CarPlay, a system based on Siri, on select 2014 cars from Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai and Volvo, with commitments on future cars from 15 manufacturers, including BMW and Ford. Google's Android Auto is similar: Plug your phone into the car system, and Android apps pop up on the car dashboard screen, offering voice-activated mapping and restaurant information. Google says it will be in new 2015 models from 25 auto manufacturers. However, Apple consumers are more upscale than Android users, says Doherty, so he expects to see Apple systems in more cars.

"Apple owners have App store accounts and credit cards in good standing, so the real question is will any car company be willing to support only Android and no Apple?" he adds.

TV

Apple TV is a popular accessory in the living room now, while Google is about to make a second try after a huge flop. Apple has brought in $1 billion from sales of its Apple TV set-top box, and sales and rentals of movies and TV shows. Apple TV, with sales of 20 million units, is the clear leader among set-top streaming box makers. Apple has been rumored for years to be coming out with its own TV, but nothing has yet materialized. Google tried and failed in 2010 with Google TV, a $299 set-top box with clunky software that was widely rejected by consumers. Now it's trying again with Android TV, ditching the set-top box and offering the familiar Android interface to TV manufacturers as a way to search and find programming across the broadcast, cable and web TV platforms. Google says it will launch the service in new smart TVs coming out this fall from several manufacturers, including Sony. Google also has Chromecast, a $35 device that connects to the back of TV sets to stream web programming, and announced new channel partners at I/O.

The bottom line: In terms of taking over the home, Sullivan says Google is closer to winning, because the company doesn't have a closed system. "For example, Apple TV works great with your iPhone or iPad, but if you're an Android user, forget it." With TV sets, streaming systems and now connected devices in the home like Google's Nest thermostat, Philips Hue smart light bulbs and new devices to open your front door from apps, "The player that supports mixed use has the advantage," he adds.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/c...inds/11427869/
post #95211 of 99341 Old 06-28-2014, 01:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Sports
World Cup Ratings: USA Loss to Germany Brings 10.8 Million Viewers to ESPN
By Michael O'Connell, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Jun. 27, 2014

Much to Ann Coulter's chagrin, World Cup ratings are still on fire.

Though it doesn't quite compare to Sunday's record-breaking game against Portugal, Team USA's third appearance at the 2014 FIFA World Cup saw viewership surge again during Thursday's early match with Germany — averaging 10.8 million viewers.

The 1-0 loss came at quite an early hour for American audiences — with the game starting at 12 p.m. ET/ 9 a.m. PT — one reason why it didn't equal the audience of the previous game. An ideal Sunday evening kickoff time brought 18.2 million viewers to the cable network for USA-Portugal, making it the most watched soccer game in U.S. television history.

Thursday's game also scored an overnight rating of a 6.7, making it the third-highest-rated men's World Cup game on record. And Team USA's not-altogether-expected endurance in the tournament is only good news for ratings moving forward.

The game was a boon to streaming viewership as well, with many fans tuning in from work. The WatchESPN app peaked with 1.7 million viewers, a platform record, while Univision's stream reached 750,000.

ESPN will next telecast America's Round of 16 match against Belgium. The Tuesday, July 1, game kicks off at 4 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. PT, a much more advantageous start time, ratingswise.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...sa-loss-715429
post #95212 of 99341 Old 06-28-2014, 01:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
Artful 'Leftovers' on HBO leaves viewers wanting more
By Robert Lloyd, Los Angeles Times - Jun. 27, 2014

HBO's latest Quality Entertainment, "The Leftovers," arrives Sunday. Developed by Damon Lindelof ("Lost") and Tom Perrotta from Perrotta's 2011 novel, it is set in a New York small town three years after the sudden disappearance of 2% of the world's population.

Though it is expertly made, with evident commitment and passion and art behind and before the camera, I also found it on the whole frustrating and unsatisfying.

Wisely pictured in a quick, single, local scene, the central event goes by different names. Some call it the Rapture, the biblically predicted instant wherein God lifts the faithful to Heaven, leaving the Earthly unselected to tough out the balance of the Book of Revelations. Others refer to it, in a more secular but still poetic mood, as the Departure; and still others, in the current fashion for naming big bad things by the date they happen, Oct. 14.

As portrayed here, there is no scriptural rhyme or reason to the event. Many nonbelievers are among the missing, virtually all Christians among the remaining. And the apocalypse, apparently, has come and gone. (Indeed, with 98% of humanity still around, "The Leftovers" hardly seems the right title.)

There is a supernatural undertone to the series, in that a miraculous occurrence has left a cast of characters stranded and confused. But where "Lost" scrambled for an explanation, to assign some causes and effects to its kooky island, "The Leftovers" keeps the why and the wherefore dark.

Its characters' shared dilemma is, of course, merely a sharpened version of the one we all face daily, and around which have been constructed great edifices of religion and philosophy. The whole show is a concretized metaphor for loss; its business is the ways that people accommodate or fail to accommodate it.

Most of the characters are failing. In the more or less central role of Kevin Garvey (the mayor in the book, the police chief here), Justin Theroux is a gathering storm. (In the original, not so much.) He wrestles profanely with the toaster oven at work and the security system at home. He forgets to shave. He scowls and grumbles and drinks too much.

Granted, he is not a happy man; though his family was left intact by the Whatever. His wife, Laura (Amy Brenneman), has joined a white-wearing cult called the Guilty Remnant, who await the rest of the end of the world in silence, smoking cigarettes because, after all, what the hell.

His son (Chris Zylka) is working for another cult out West; and his daughter (Margaret Qualley) has grown surly. She and her friends are as lost as any group of teens in a '70s or '80s suburban-hell film, but now there's also an app for that.

Perrotta's book is straightforward and dry and full of quotidian detail; the speed with which normalcy returns in the wake of uncanny tragedy is one of its themes. The TV series, by contrast, pumps up the volume, interpolating episodes of violence, crazy dreams, a dark stranger, federal shenanigans and frequent adjectival and adverbial use of the present-participle of the F-word. Most every scene portrays a state of crisis, tension or strangeness; normalcy goes out the window, and with it all but the bitterest, blackest humor.

It peeks back in occasionally, to be sure, with a reference to "The Wire" or, a list of celebrities who evaporated in the event (Shaq, the pope, Bonnie Raitt, Gary Busey), or a country-music radio dedication to a listener's departed wife ("We don't know where you are, we sure do hope there's pickles up there").

The viewer — this viewer — seizes on these crumbs with a kind of gratitude. Possibly this is the desired effect, but it feels that only half a story, the grim part, is being told.

The performances, including "Ninth Doctor" Christopher Eccleston as a minister dedicated to proving that this was not the Rapture, are notable throughout. I am moved particularly to mention the understated Ann Dowd, as matter-of-fact head of the local Guilty Remnant chapter, and Carrie Coon as a woman who lost her whole family in the thingy.

Liv Tyler, as a new member of the order and whose first adventure in television this is, does good work with a silent Brenneman, her mentor. A scene in the snow, in which Brenneman has Tyler chop wood to no stated purpose, has an aura of mystery that more aggressively mysterious passages don't quite achieve. It's a bit of a Zen thing, I suppose.

'THE LEFTOVERS'
Where: HBO
When: 10 p.m. Sunday

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...28-column.html
post #95213 of 99341 Old 06-28-2014, 02:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
SATURDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - Bet On Your Baby
9PM - The Assets
10PM - Nightline Prime

CBS:
8PM - Hawaii Five-0
(R - Oct. 25)
9PM - 48 Hours
10PM - 48 Hours

NBC:
8PM - Dateline NBC: The Secret Life of the Homecoming Queen (120 min.)
10PM - Taxi Brooklyn
(R - Jun. 25)
11:29PM - Saturday Night Live (Melissa McCarthy hosts; Imagine Dragons performs, 93 min.)
(R - Feb. 1)

FOX:
7PM - MLB Baseball: Regional Coverage (LIVE)
11PM - Animation Domination High-Def (60 min.)

PBS:
8PM - Austin City Limits (Wilco) (R - Feb. 4, 2012)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Sábado Gigante (Three Hours)

TELEMUNDO:
6:30PM - Movie: Jumper (2008)
8:30PM - Movie: John Carter (2012)
post #95214 of 99341 Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Technology Notes
Apple vs. Google: The race is on for the wrist, TV, car
By Jefferson Graham, USA Today - Jun. 27, 2014

Apple consumers are more upscale than Android users, says Doherty, so he expects to see Apple systems in more cars.

"Apple owners have App store accounts and credit cards in good standing, so the real question is will any car company be willing to support only Android and no Apple?" he adds.
Sounds like someone doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Android owners have Play Store accounts and credit cards in good standing.

IMO auto manufacturers should offer both and let the consumer decide.
post #95215 of 99341 Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FRIDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insight's Blog
post #95216 of 99341 Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Overnights
Barbara Walters’ ’20/20′ Interview With Elliot Rodger’s Father Propels ABC Friday Night
By The Deadline.com Team - Jun. 28, 2014

Barbara Walters’ 20/20 interview with Elliot Rodger’s father was the cornerstone of Friday night’s scant original programming, drawing 6.2 million total viewers and rallying ABC in the evening’s win among all broadcast networks to 5.1M total viewers besting CBS (4.9M), NBC (3.3M), Fox (2.05M) and CW (898K). Though 20/20 was the number two show among total viewers, notching just behind CBS’s repeat of Blue Bloods (6.3M) –the top show of the night — it managed to be the number one in both adults 18-49 (1.3/5) and 25-54 (1.7/6).

Nonetheless, among Walters’ 20/20 greatest hits in the ratings annals, the Peter Rodger interview ranks behind her May 2nd interview with Donald Sterling girlfriend V. Stiviano which drew 7.14 million and a 1.7 rating in Adults 18-49. The most watched Barbara Walters interview on 20/20 ever was her March 3, 1999, interview with Monica Lewinsky. That edition of 20/20 was watched by an estimated 70 million viewers — a record for a news program.

20/20 saw double digit week-to-week gains across the board in total viewers (+24%), A18-49 (+18%) and A25-54 (+13%). The news show more than doubled NBC’s audience at 10 P.M. for its original air of Crossbones in total viewers (2.3M) and more than tripled in A18-49 (0.4/2). For the 2013-14 season 20/20 registered 6.3 million total viewers in live + same day averages, with 1.5/5 in A18-49 and 2.1/6 in A25-54.

With mostly repeats rounding out most of the night, NBC’s news special A Leap of Faith: A Meredith Vieira Special was another fresh telecast of the night drawing 3.8M viewers from 8-10 PM and 0.5/2 in A18-49. However, ABC’s encore of Shark Tank nailed the 8pm hour with 4.76M eyeballs vs. NBC’s 3.6M for A Leap of Faith and CBS’ 3.37M viewers for its repeat of Undercover Boss. Fox’s Master Chef repeat drew 1.76 million in viewers and 0.5/2 in A18-49, while CW’s repeats of Whose Line Is It Anyway? drew 1.18 million and 1.1 million viewers respectively for both half hours with a 0.4/2 in A18-19.

During the 9 P.M. hour, A Leap of Faith grew 10% in total viewers to 4M and 20% in A18-49 to 0.6. While CBS’ repeat of Hawaii Five-0 was the top in viewers with 5.15M vs. ABC’s fresh telecast of What Would You Do? (4.4M), Fox’s Rake season finale (1.32M) and CW’s repeat of Hart of Dixie (580k); What Would You Do? took the A18-49 crown for the hour with 1.2/5. Week-to-week, the show is up in viewers (+16%), A18-49 (+20%) and A25-54 (+33%).

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/barb...-friday-night/

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
Disney Channel’s Friday Night: ‘Zapped’ & ‘Girl Meets World’ Each Draw Over 5M Viewers

Families were definitely tuning into the Disney Channel Friday night as 5.7 million viewers came under the spell of the network’s 8 P.M. original movie Zapped, becoming 2014-to-date’s No. 1 cable TV telecast among kids 2-11 (2.9 million/7.3 rating), kids 6-11 (2.3 million/9.6 rating) and tweens 9-14 (2.1 million/8.7 rating). The movie also delivered nearly 1.3 million Adults 18-49.

But the watching didn’t stop there: At 9:45 PM, the premiere of comedy series Girl Meets World drew 5.2 million viewers, ranking as the No. 1 series launch of 2014 among the youth demos in kids 2-11 (2.3 million/5.7 rating), kids 6-11 (1.8 million/7.7 rating) and tweens 9-14 (1.7 million/6.9 rating). Zapped, directed by Peter DeLuise, follows 16 year-old Zoey Stevens (Shake It Up‘s Zendaya), a skilled dancer and straight-A student who is dealing with a new high school, a klutzy dance squad and a new step family. Her life changes when a dog training app on her phone takes control of the boys around her.

A twist on the ABC sitcom Boy Meets World, Girl Meets World tells stories from a tween girl’s P.O.V. Series is exec produced by Michael Jacobs and stars Rowan Blanchard as Riley Matthews, the tween daughter of Cory and Topanga Matthews (Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel reprising their roles from the original series).

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/zapp...llion-viewers/
post #95217 of 99341 Old 06-29-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
SUNDAY Network Primetime Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET)

ABC:
7PM - America's Funniest Home Videos
(R - Jan. 5)
8PM - Wipeout
9PM - Rising Star (120 min., LIVE)

CBS:
7PM - 60 Minutes
8PM - Big Brother
9PM - Reckless (Series Premiere)
10PM - Unforgettable (Season Premiere)

NBC:
7PM - American Ninja Warrior (120 min.)
(R - Jun. 9)
9PM - Last Comic Standing (120 min.)

FOX:
7PM - American Dad
(R - Apr. 13)
7:30PM - Bob's Burgers
(R - Mar. 3)
8PM - The Simpsons
(R - Mar. 9)
8:30PM - The Simpsons
(R - Apr. 13)
8PM - Family Guy
(R - Jan. 5)
8:30PM - American Dad
(R - Nov. 10)

PBS:
8PM - Last Tango In Halifax (Season Premiere)
9PM - Masterpiece Mystery! Endeavor, Season 2: Trove (90 min.)
10:30PM - Vicious (Series Premiere)

UNIVISION:
7PM - Aquí y Ahora
8PM - Bailando por un Sueño (120 min.)
10PM - Sal y Pimienta

TELEMUNDO:
7PM - La Gran Señora (120 min.)
9PM - Movie: Mi Querido Viejo (1991)
post #95218 of 99341 Old 06-29-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV/Business Notes
Aereo shuts down just days after court decision
By Mike Sinder, USA Today - Jun. 28, 2014

Streaming service Aereo has shut down in the wake of its Supreme Court loss earlier this week.

Calling the court's reversal Wednesday of an earlier lower court decision in favor of Aereo "a massive setback," CEO Chet Kanojia said the company is ceasing operations.

"Our case has been returned to the lower Court. We have decided to pause our operations temporarily as we consult with the court and map out our next steps. You will be able to access your cloud-based antenna and DVR only until 11:30 a.m. ET today," he said in an email to subscribers Saturday morning. "All of our users will be refunded their last paid month. If you have questions about your account, please email support@aereo.com or tweet us @aereo Support."

Kanojia said that Aereo's argument that consumers have the right to watch over-the-air TV broadcasts on the Net rather than via a home antenna remains viable. "Our journey is far from done," he said, telling supporters to sign up for updates at ProtectMyAntenna.org.

Launched two years ago, Aereo delivered over-the-air channels via online streaming to computers and tablets for about $8 a month and had brought the service to 11 cities.

"The spectrum that the broadcasters use to transmit over the air programming belongs to the American public and we believe you should have a right to access that live programming whether your antenna sits on the roof of your home, on top of your television or in the cloud," Kanojia said.

But the Supreme Court decided that Aereo "is a cable service like any other. It's not Radio Shack," said Phil Swann, president of TVPredictions.com, "Where consumers might have gained if Aereo won was more options. Local sports and local channels is still a dicey proposition if you don't get pay TV. … For a lot of people it's not an option or it's more complicated than it need to be."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/p...vice/11619083/

Last edited by dad1153; 06-29-2014 at 05:42 AM.
post #95219 of 99341 Old 06-29-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
Love With the Proper Dose of Disdain
‘Vicious’ Stars Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi
By Mike Hale, The New York Times - Jun. 28, 2014

“Vicious” is not the most informative title. It sounds like a nasty little thriller on FX or Cinemax. As it turns out, it’s a British sitcom on PBS, but it’s nasty, all right. Where else on television are you going to see two superb classically trained actors calling each other a rotting corpse or a big bitch?

The stars of “Vicious” are Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi, who play Freddie and Stuart, lovers who have shared a London apartment for 49 years. Freddie is an actor with a small, sad set of career highlights and a vast ego, who enters most episodes by swanning down the small flat’s oddly grand staircase. Stuart is his long-suffering wifey, bustling about, fretting that he’s losing his looks and worrying over the couple’s apparently comatose dog, Balthazar. Much of their dialogue consists of startlingly bald insults directed at each other and their small circle of friends. (The title makes even more sense when you know that the working title was “Vicious Old Queens.”)

Mr. McKellen and Mr. Jacobi have careers of great distinction in theater and film, but like most British actors, they’ve also worked steadily in TV, from “Coronation Street” (Mr. McKellen) to “Cadfael” (Mr. Jacobi). Still, it’s a bit of a shock to see them trading barbs in a broad, remarkably old-fashioned comedy, in roles that require them to — not mince or prance, exactly, but add an extra flourish to nearly every line and gesture.

“Vicious,” which begins on Sunday night, has received criticism in Britain for trading in campy gay stereotypes, and it would be hard to argue that it doesn’t. But what’s more interesting about the show — which is written by an American, Gary Janetti, whose primary credits are “Will & Grace” and “Family Guy” — is what an amazing simulacrum it is of a half-century of unsubtle, off-color, formulaic, wink-wink British TV. Mr. McKellen and Mr. Jacobi may be enacting gay clichés, but they’re doing it in the larger service of keeping alive a particular style of comedy.

(It could also be argued that at least they’re bringing out of the closet a type of British character embodied by the truly campy Mr. Humphries in the popular 1970s sitcom “Are You Being Served?”)

For American viewers, the experience of watching “Vicious” is likely to have less to do with gay representation and more to do with radically different comic sensibilities. It’s like watching old episodes of “Served” or “Keeping Up Appearances” or “Allo Allo”: slightly horrifying, like a slow-motion train wreck, but also, every few minutes, convulsingly funny.

This has everything to do with Mr. Jacobi and Mr. McKellen, who deliver Mr. Janetti’s jokes and imprecations, no matter how tired, with an authority and timing that would do them credit on the stages of the Royal Shakespeare Company or the National Theater. Mr. McKellen, in particular, is hilarious (he gets the better material), communicating disdain with every tilt of his head and movement of his eyebrow.

He also summons comic pathos when it’s called for. There’s a delightful moment at a club when Freddie, dressed in his best Carnaby Street duds, circa 1966, is ditched by his new young friends and finds himself handing out fliers: “Hip-hop Thursdays? Hip-hop Thursdays?”

In keeping with its genre, “Vicious” has a rigid structure that’s repeated weekly and becomes so familiar that Mr. Janetti can play variations on it for comic effect. Episodes begin with Stuart on the phone to his mother, who still thinks Freddie is just his shiftless roommate. Freddie descends, insults are traded, and the doorbell starts to ring. Usually, the first arrival is their friend Violet, an aging and desperate old-maid stereotype sublimely played by Frances de la Tour (Madame Maxime of the “Harry Potter” movies), followed by the cute but callow upstairs neighbor Ash (Iwan Rheon, the psychotic Ramsay Snow of “Game of Thrones”). Each week, Stuart introduces Violet and Ash as if they’d never met before.

The predictability is part of the charm, or at least the comfort. You know that Freddie will say something to Stuart like “I see you’re wearing an extra chin for the occasion,” and Stuart will say something to Freddie like “When the time comes, I’m going to so enjoy unplugging you.” You know that Ash will stammer and blush and say something endearing, and that Violet will end up in full black leather handcuffed to a bed in Argentina. And you may just laugh anyway.

Vicious
On PBS stations on Sunday nights at 10:30 (check local listings).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/28/ar...ref=television

Last edited by dad1153; 06-29-2014 at 05:43 AM.
post #95220 of 99341 Old 06-29-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
'Reckless' (CBS)
By Brian Lowry, Variety.com - Jun. 27, 2014

Representing CBS’ latest attempt to produce a sort-of summer soap, “Reckless” mixes an ongoing storyline with a procedural element, in a slightly tawdry tale of Southern sex that — reflecting the network’s sweet spot — still doesn’t stray from the police station and courthouse. Modestly diverting on its own terms and well-cast at the fringes, the show’s leads probably aren’t as compelling as they need to be, given the desire to produce fireworks between what CBS describes as its “gorgeous Yankee litigator and charming southern attorney.” So while the show masters the network’s formula, it could use a little help with chemistry.

Set in Charleston, S.C., the series centers on a relocated Chicago lawyer, Jamie Sawyer (Anna Wood), forced to butt heads with the new City Attorney, Roy Rayder (Cam Gigandet). Lest anyone miss clues that they’re both supposed to be smokin’ hot, she conspicuously turns heads when first walking into the courthouse, and he’s shown working shirtless on a boat because, um …

The rivalry quickly heats up in the context of a case that becomes the show’s ongoing spine: The dismissal of a female cop, Lee Anne (Georgina Haig), who was having sex with one of her co-workers, dirty detective Terry McCandless (Shawn Hatosy, like fellow “Southland” alum Ben McKenzie, still walking the beat in his follow-up show).

Lee Anne’s wrongful-termination case, which Jamie agrees to pursue, hints at deeper corruption within the department, as well as a good-ol’-boy mentality that suggests the powers that be take care of their own. At the same time, the episodes previewed each involve a self-contained little mini-trial, presumably for that portion of the CBS audience that can’t fathom watching anything that fails to offer some kind of closure before clapping off the set.

Created by Dana Stevens, “Reckless” (a say-nothing title, incidentally) wants to position itself as a sort-of CW/CBS hybrid — a lurid soap with a procedural backbone. And if that feels kind of summery, it’s still not compelling enough to create a sense of urgency, despite the twists and cliffhangers that close episodes.

Other than the accents, the series also seemingly misses a chance to fully capitalize on its locale, talking a lot about where old and new meet in the South without much context, despite CBS’ best efforts to make the show feel “sultry,” as it’s described. (As a footnote, Catherine Hardwicke, who kicked off the “Twilight” franchise, directed the pilot.)

CBS is clearly making good on the general network pledge to not just hang out a “Gone fishin’ ” sign in the summer, augmenting “Big Brother” and last season’s hit “Under the Dome” with new players, including the sci-fi premise “Extant.”

In that context, the thinking behind this lower-key addition to the roster feels much like the show itself: Calculated, yes, but far from reckless.

RECKLESS
(CBS, Sun. June 29, 9 p.m.)

http://variety.com/2014/tv/reviews/t...ss-1201223508/
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page