AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 162
TV Notes
On TV, comic books turn a new page
By Bill Keveney, USA Today - Jul. 25, 2014

Comic-book heroes may find themselves facing new rivals – each other – as their numbers grow on television.

Four DC Entertainment properties – Fox's Gotham, NBC's Constantine and CW's The Flash and midseason iZombie – are scheduled to hit the small screen in the upcoming TV season, along with another Marvel character, ABC's midseason Agent Carter.

Those shows, which will be featured this weekend at Comic-Con in San Diego, will add to a population that includes ABC's Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and CW's Arrow.

Comics have had recent TV success, including Smallville's 10-year run and, decades earlier, The Incredible Hulk, though a recent attempt to redo Wonder Woman never got off the ground.

The current surge, part of Warner Bros. and Disney's efforts to mine popular properties, comes amid the success of comic-book characters in movies and the mighty ratings performance of AMC's graphic-novel-based The Walking Dead.

Grant Gustin, who plays The Flash (aka Barry Allen), senses the early interest of a built-in fan base. "I see it (on Twitter). I can feel their excitement. It gets me more excited."

Devoted comics fans could give these shows an initial boost, but programmers will be watching to see whether the field gets overcrowded.

"There's a danger in overexposing anything, but at the moment, I think they're different enough from one another, and the genre audience is always there for you in the beginning," NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt says. "There seems to be a big appetite for it. Will we overstay our welcome? That's a good question."

CW president Mark Pedowitz, who has had success with Arrow, isn't worried about a glut.

"In the theatrical film business, there's been no saturation," says Pedowitz, whose lower-rated network doesn't need to attract as many fans as the larger broadcasters. "The fans will tell us when they hit (a saturation) point, but at this point in time I don't think there is."

DC Entertainment was able to launch so many new shows this season because of their diversity, chief creative officer Geoff Johns says. "Gotham is very different than Flash is very different than Constantine is very different than iZombie. As long as everything finds its own niche ... and we don't get repetitive, there's room for everything," he says.

Series shouldn't be lumped together under one broad comic-book label, either, says Jeph Loeb, head of television at Marvel, which has a deal for four more comics-based series, including 2015's Daredevil, with Netflix.

"For all intents and purposes, S.H.I.E.L.D. is a procedural that has espionage to it and then, on top of that, there is the world of the extraordinary," he says. "Are there too many medical shows? Are there too many legal shows? We think good TV will drive a great audience."

Comics titans Marvel and DC diverge when it comes to how their TV shows connect — or don't — with movies.

In April, S.H.I.E.L.D., with an underwhelming audience response, appeared to enjoy a creative jolt when it picked up the sleeper-agent infiltration theme of the newly released Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

"We did something that was unprecedented, in that we actually changed what was going on in the mythology of our show (as a result of a) a major motion picture, and it stayed current. We'd love to do it again, so keep your eyes open," says Loeb, who wouldn't confirm a tie-in with the May 1 theatrical release of Avengers: Age of Ultron. "It is one big universe."

DC takes the opposite tack: Arrow and The Flash will intersect with each other, but not with DC's theatrical films, Johns says. "It's a separate universe than film, so the filmmakers can tell the story that's best for film while we do something different in a different corner of the DC universe on television."

Gotham's Ben McKenzie, whose detective James Gordon is pre-Commissioner Gordon of Batman lore, disagrees with critics who say fans won't respond unless they see capes and costumes. "What really pulls me in is when a character can't put on a cape and fly away, when they genuinely are fallible, flawed and very human."

He thinks Gotham will be able to stand out in the crowd. "The aesthetic is a little starker and grimmer than a lot of these superhero shows out there and a little more adult," he says. "I think we have room. We'll see."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...n-tv/13039397/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #95792 of 95797 Old Today, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Technology/Business Notes
Bose Is Suing Beats Electronics Over Noise-Canceling Headphone Patents
By Amit Chowdhry, Forbes.com - Jul. 25, 2014

Today Bose Corporation has filed a legal complaint against Beats Electronics for allegedly infringing patents related to its noise-canceling headphones, which was first reported by CNBC. Bose claims that Beats is infringing upon 50 years of research and development of noise cancellation technology that is protected by 36 U.S. patents and applications.

“To protect its investments, Bose has sought patent protection, and owns many patents and patent applications. Because Bose invests heavily in research and development, and because Bose has built its reputation on producing superior products through innovative technology, Bose’s continued success depends in substantial part on its ability to establish, maintain, and protect its proprietary technology through enforcement of its patent rights,” said Bose in its complaint.

Apple announced earlier this year that it intends to buy Beats Electronics and Beats Music for $3 billion. This lawsuit adds to the numerous patent battles that Apple is facing against Samsung Electronics .

In the legal complaint, Bose specifically accused the Beats Studio and Beats Studio Wireless headphones for infringing patents embodied within its latest noise-canceling headphone models — the Bose QuietComfort 20 and Bose QuietComfort 20i (known as the QC20 line). Beats sells its Studio headphones with “Adaptive Noise Cancellation” features through its website BeatsByDre.com and retailers with locations throughout the country, including Best Buy, Staples, Target and Radio Shack.

Bose said that it is asserting the following patents against Beats:

6,717,537 – “Method and apparatus for minimizing latency in digital signal processing systems”

8,054,992 – “High frequency compensating”

8,073,150 – “Dynamically configurable ANR signal processing topology”

8,073,151 – “Dynamically configurable ANR filter block topology”

8,345,888 – “Digital high frequency phase compensation”

Bose is asking the court for a declaration that Beats infringed the aforementioned patents, an injunction from “continued infringement,” an award for damages, an order that finds Beats’ infringement is willful and relief that the court deems as just.

Bose said that Beats instructs users how to use its products in a manner that allegedly infringes the asserted patents in the Beats Studio User Guide and the Beats Studio Wireless User Guide. The noise canceling functionalities in the Beats headphones are used automatically when someone is listening to music and the user guide instructs users how to reduce noise. The Beats headphones also have noise cancellation when no music is played.

Bose filed the infringement complaint in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware and is asking the U.S. International Trade Commission to investigate the matter.

I reached out to Bose and Beats for comment.

Carolyn Cinotti, the director of Bose Public Relations, said that the company does not comment on on-going litigation, but provided the following statement to FORBES:

The filing is comprehensive and explains our position, and as a matter of practice, we don’t comment on on-going litigation. We can share that for over 30 years, Bose has made significant investments in the research, development, engineering and design of the proprietary technologies found in our headphones. Bose’s patented technologies enable the exclusive performance found in our QuietComfort® Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones. We are committed to protecting our investment, protecting our customers, and defending the patents we own.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchow...phone-patents/
post #95793 of 95797 Old Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FRIDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insight's Blog.
post #95794 of 95797 Old Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Comic-Con 2014 TV Notes
Comic-Con's 'Orphan Black' fans share gifts, tales with Tatiana Maslany
By Emily Rome, EW.com's 'Inside TV' Blog - Jul. 26, 2014

If you doubted that fans really, really love Orphan Black, the show’s Comic-Con panel would immediately change your mind.

The BBC America series’ panel was in one of Comic-Con’s smaller rooms as far as TV shows go, 6A, but the cheers and laughter in the audience were at a volume of a bigger room. When star Tatiana Maslany first walked on stage, she got a standing ovation. Over a dozen security guards had to block audience members from storming the stage at the end of the panel. A representative for fan group Clone Club presented Maslany with “The Best Actress in the World Award.” (Who needs an Emmy when you have that?) Another fan gave Maslany a set of Russian nesting dolls with each painted as one of her characters. Helena was the tiny one in the middle.

Some attendees told the cast how Orphan Black had deeply impacted their lives, including one girl who said she came out after watching the show. Her parents initially didn’t accept this, but when her mom started watching Orphan Black with her, “it helped us rebuild our relationship,” she said, “because she sees Cosima, and she sees that it’s okay and that people are more than their sexuality.” The story had Maslany tearing up.

Jordan Gavaris, who plays Felix, had a heartfelt reply: “In life sometimes, we reduce people down to things like sexuality, their diseases like cancer, or their sex or their gender, or whether or not they like Game of Thrones. But that is not who people are. People are complex, as we say in the show.”

So how can fans expect to endure the wait to season 3? For now, here are some more moments from the Comic-Con panel to tide you over until the clones return:

• Co-creator Graeme Manson said that the writers have “talked about meeting Alison’s mother.” On their casting wish list: Catherine O’Hara.

• Helena’s chance for a little romance is one of co-creator John Fawcett’s favorite moments from season 2. Suits star Patrick J. Adams played that tow truck guy Helena made out with. He’s a self-professed fan of Orphan Black, and if he has any say in the matter, he’ll make a return appearance. Kristian Bruun (Donnie) said on the panel that he recently ran into Adams at a restaurant, and Adams said he wants to be on the show again.

• The showrunners had originally planned to kill off Mark, but they said they’re very glad they decided not to. Maslany raved about working with Ari: “He just showed up in that diner scene, and sitting opposite him, I just saw this actor was so present. He just had this well of depth.”

• Dylan Bruce talked about the scene where Paul forces Felix down onto a couch at gunpoint to get his fingerprints on the gun: “Jordan got me back [while filming] that scene for doing that to him,” Bruce said. “Felix wears some high-heeled boots. We did about 10, 15 takes, and every time I flipped him over and pushed him down, that boot kicked me in the exact same spot in my shin.”

• Visiting set was a weird experience for Maslany’s mother, the panelists recalled. She thought Sarah looked the most like her daughter, so every time Sarah wasn’t to be seen on set, she found herself wondering, “When’s Tatiana coming back?” even though she of course knew all the other clones were portrayed by her daughter too.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/26/co...n-black-panel/
post #95795 of 95797 Old Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Comic-Con 2014 TV Notes
'Sleepy Hollow' Stars Promise 'Malevolent' Season 2
By Aaron Couch, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Jul. 25, 2014

Sleepy Hollow left its heroes in perilous positions in season one. Abbie (Nicole Beharie) is in purgatory and Ichabod (Tom MIson) in a casket. But as the Fox show's stars and producers promised a Comic-Con crowd, there's plenty more to come.

Beharie said Abbey will learn some secrets about her family in secret two.

"She learns why she is a witness," said Beharie. "At the end of a season Ichabod betrayed Abbey in a way by drawing a map. Now they have a little of patching up to do.

Fan favorite John Noble (Henry Parrish) — who was revealed to be the second Horseman, in addition to being Ichabod and Katrina's son Jeremy — says he is moving beyond revenge in season two.

"He becomes sort of a really interesting malevolent character. He's had his revenge. He doesn't need that anymore," said Noble. "He becomes the personification of evil and becomes a powerful man in the township. He plants seeds of doubt in everyone."

And Ichabod? He continues his battle with modern society, including by watching Glee. Did he enjoy it? "probably not," deadpanned Mison, before realizing Glee was a fellow Fox show: "he loved it!"

Two clips from the new season were shown — THR exclusively has one of them, which you can watch here — one in which Ichabod showed his disdain for credit cards, and another in which he attempts raises a very special adversary to fight the horseman.

Orlando Jones, whose Detective Irving ended the season incarcerated, joked," I didn't want to be a stereotype ... my mother is probably very upset."

The producers also promised a big season.

"Deep seeded into this season is family, hope and redemption, all within the context of war," said executive producer Mark Goffman. Alex Kurtzman promised that "whatever you thought is coming — it's not," and added that Benedict Arnold will make an appearance. Yes, there's an explanation for why he was a traitor to America.

Mison also made a bold promise to fans for next year's Comic-Con. He said before being cast, he was asked to prepare an audition with an American accent and with his own. The American didn't pan out ... but he based it off of Bryan Cranston's Breaking Bad performance. Fans begged for a sample, but Mison balked.

"If you give us a season three, I promise I'll come back as Heisengberg," he said.

Sleepy Hollow premieres Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on Fox.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...2-stars-721411
post #95796 of 95797 Old Today, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Critic's Notes
Choosing to Shiver or Not to Shiver
‘Ice Lake Rebels,’ on Animal Planet, and ‘Escaping Alaska,’ on TLC
By Neil Genzlinger, The New York Times - Jul. 26, 2014

The big brains at Discovery Communications apparently enjoy messing with our heads as we search for vicarious relief from the summer heat. One of their channels, Animal Planet, begins a reality show on Sunday that extols the rugged virtues of life in the remote frozen north. Meanwhile another channel, TLC, serves up a series about young people who want nothing more than to get out of there.

It’s “Ice Lake Rebels” versus “Escaping Alaska.” It’s also “kind of tedious” versus “not very credible.” But hey, if you’re craving the sight of snow, Sunday is your night.

The Animal Planet series follows a small group of people who live on houseboats on Great Slave Lake in the Northwest Territories of Canada. Freedom! Individualism! Moose hunting!

A certain breed of viewer must eat up this off-the-grid survivalist stuff, moose meat and all, because there sure is a lot of it on television. Presumably being off the grid includes being without a TV, so there’s some incongruity in the phenomenon. Come to think of it, having your isolated, low-tech existence documented by high-tech cameras is a bit disingenuous, too. But never mind.

The rebels on “Ice Lake Rebels” try to sell their soggy, chilly way of living, but they’re not terribly convincing.

“We have no heating bill, no water bill, no utility bill,” Allyce Rattray says. “There’s nothing excess. Just exactly what you need. It’s just a beautiful way of life.”

But moments earlier we saw her exhausting herself trying to hack through the icing-over lake to get to a place where she can walk her dog. Falling into the life-threateningly cold water also seems to be a regular feature of houseboating, and everyone in this show seems to think we viewers will be fascinated by their toilets. To each his own.

On TLC, “Escaping Alaska” follows a group of young Eskimos who, though not quite as removed from worldly comforts as the people on “Ice Lake Rebels,” are leading a relatively isolated existence in an equally cold part of the world. The difference is, the Alaskans want out.

The setup is downright improbable (but hey, it’s TLC): The five, who live in different parts of the state, supposedly met online and plotted to rendezvous, then go as a group to San Diego. It’s all very hush-hush since their families might not approve. Well, hush-hush except for the camera crews.

The people at TLC are apparently on a mission to disrupt time-honored, tradition-bound life wherever they find it — see “Breaking Amish” — though the young people in “Escaping Alaska” have not exactly been living apart from the world. “My dream job is becoming an actress and being the next Jennifer Lawrence,” one named Tamara says. “But the Eskimo version.”

In other words, they have the same shallow aspirations that any other young American adult has, which makes for a fairly shallow show. But at least they’re occasionally amusing.

“Seal meat’s the greatest,” says another, Nuala, explaining the usual diet in her household. “Don’t hate me for it. They’re so cute, I love them, but they’re delicious.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/26/ar...ref=television
post #95797 of 95797 Old Today, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Comic-Con 2014 TV Notes
Cast, showrunner hint at what's next on 'Falling Skies' at Comic-Con
By Emily Rome, EW.com's 'Inside TV' Blog - Jul. 25, 2014

Falling Skies is halfway through its fourth season, which saw a lot of changes from season 3, along with the addition of new showrunner David Eick. With the 2nd Mass separated after an Espheni attack, our ensemble cast found themselves in very different worlds from one another.

“In Tom’s world we were in darkness. Lexi’s world—it was light. It was almost like Munchkinland,” Eick said during the show’s Comic-Con panel. “In Anne’s world it was very gritty but stripped down.”

At Comic-Con, Eick and the show’s cast hinted at what’s to come on Falling Skies now that the characters have reunited. Most important to know right off the bat? As Sarah Sanguin Carter (Maggie) said on the panel, “The second half is gnarly, you guys.”

Here’s more that Eick and the cast revealed on their panel:

We’ll learn more about Anne’s past. A clip from this coming Sunday’s episode screened during the panel, showing a moment Anne had blocked out: when Karen captured her and Lexi. Karen (yes, she’s back, briefly!) is holding Lexi, apparently lovingly, just like a mother would, saying, “She’s my creation. In time, she’ll be just like me. She’ll change the face of history.” Moon Bloodgood (Anne) told the audience that there will also be scenes featuring Anne with her son, something she really enjoyed filming because “we never really understood what life was like for her before the invasion…. It was probably my favorite episode to shoot.”

The Espheni aren’t united anymore. In recent episodes, it’s become clearer that the Espheni aren’t a purely, totally villainous species. They’re going the way of the skitter — a creature that the 2nd Mass eventually learned could be an ally or an enemy. When teasing what’s to come with that, Eick really showed his Battlestar Galactica, TV-as-social-commentary roots: “These characters are not of one mind. They’re not just a hive-like simplistic being. They might have differences with one another. They might have feelings for one another. They might have jealousies that could get in the way of their agenda. In season 5 we’ll explore that further.”

Lexi will go through a transformation. Another clip from the next episode showed Pope, Hal, and others bringing guns into the once peaceful Chinatown. They try to get to Lexi, but Lourdes and others devoted to the hybrid block them by link arms—much like the 2nd Mass linked arms to protect the sympathetic skitters in season 2. Cut to Lexi: She’s inside a glowing, orange cocoon. “She’s gonna go through a change,” Scarlett Byrne (Lexi) explained of her character. “What did I call it, Moon?” Bloodgood then deadpanned, “Your period.”

Turns out Bloodgood had a Bloody Mary before the panel—her showrunner ratted her out. “I did! I really did!” she confessed. But in all seriousness, Byrne explained, “[Lexi] steps into her own. She’s constantly changing, but this is the beginning of a very drastic physical and mental change for her.”
How will this blossoming love triangle turn out? The cast didn’t divulge many details about what’s going to happen between Maggie and Ben. But Drew Roy (Hal) did say this: “It’s one of the more special things we got to do on the show just because we had to pay special attention to our motives, to what we were doing and make sure it had a good payoff. Week-to-week, even inside one episode, you could be pulling for this part of the triangle or this part of the triangle.”
Hybrid babies and mutating humans into submission is just the beginning. Eick said fans can expect to see more “new variations on existing species. The Espheni are very immersed in genetics, the idea of altering, the idea of adapting, and corrupting, mutating. It’s a terrifying idea, one that resonates. It does feel like a kissing cousin of where we are in real life. Hopefully it’ll scare the s— out of you.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/25/fa...omic-con-2014/
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page