post #95851 of 95875 Old Today, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
It's not just that. The DVR fees they charge, the rentals for the equipment - they're rapidly going up too, just check your TWC bill. In some ways, they're just using the escalating carriage fees from providers as an excuse to raise rates for everything, including equipment already in the field.

And this, in spite of the 2-year contract many of us signed that was supposed to "lock in" our monthly fees. Amazing that they can legally get away with it.
So far, Brighthouse has added an RSN fee of a buck, they now have a 6-tuner DVR which of course costs extra over the original DVR fee. Next year a $2 fee for each DTA you have, which you must have if you have anything above bare-bones basic and if you have more than one TV that really adds up. I never thought I'd say it, but I am thisclose to just dumping everything and going OTA.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #95852 of 95875 Old Today, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Noooo!!! How are you going to get your NASCAR fix?
post #95853 of 95875 Old Today, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 84
What about all that mello-yello ?

post #95854 of 95875 Old Today, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Noooo!!! How are you going to get your NASCAR fix?
LOL! I have to admit, the thought of not having sports at the press of a button is very depressing and it's the main reason I've kept cable. But I also look at how much I am spending every month and that's pretty depressing too. Add in the annual rate increase plus the extra boxes next year and it's a pretty good chunk of change, enough for me to say I've had enough.

post #95855 of 95875 Old Today, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
LOL! I have to admit, the thought of not having sports at the press of a button is very depressing and it's the main reason I've kept cable. But I also look at how much I am spending every month and that's pretty depressing too. Add in the annual rate increase plus the extra boxes next year and it's a pretty good chunk of change, enough for me to say I've had enough.
The annual rate increase is just terrible, I have the same modem I have had for 4 or 5 years at least, and of course the modem is depreciating annually, yet the fee has doubled since I got it, actually I think it a little bit more than double, I'm pretty sure it started off at $3.00/month and now it's $7.00/month and all the outlet fees that have just been tacked on through the years.
Nayan likes this.
post #95856 of 95875 Old Today, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
The annual rate increase is just terrible, I have the same modem I have had for 4 or 5 years at least, and of course the modem is depreciating annually, yet the fee has doubled since I got it, actually I think it a little bit more than double, I'm pretty sure it started off at $3.00/month and now it's $7.00/month and all the outlet fees that have just been tacked on through the years.
Why would you ever rent a cable modem? $68.99 Docsis 3 Cable Modem

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #95857 of 95875 Old Today, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post
I think some people are a bit gun shy that they're spend the money, only to have the cable company change the required specs before it pays for itself.

I'm not saying that will happen, but it creates a lot of confusion for some people.
post #95858 of 95875 Old Today, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
I think some people are a bit gun shy that they're spend the money, only to have the cable company change the required specs before it pays for itself.

I'm not saying that will happen, but it creates a lot of confusion for some people.
Not only that, but if you have problems and you have your own equipment, I've found the cable company to not be so helpful, it's like a built in excuse and you have to prove your innocence. I've got a MOXI and it took forever for them to get it going, funny how the tech walked in the door, did nothing but talk to the tech on the other line and voila the box was working.
post #95859 of 95875 Old Today, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
It's not just that. The DVR fees they charge, the rentals for the equipment - they're rapidly going up too, just check your TWC bill. In some ways, they're just using the escalating carriage fees from providers as an excuse to raise rates for everything, including equipment already in the field.

And this, in spite of the 2-year contract many of us signed that was supposed to "lock in" our monthly fees. Amazing that they can legally get away with it.
Read your Terms of Service. "Price locks" affect programming prices only, not equipment or service fees.
post #95860 of 95875 Old Today, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
Read your Terms of Service. "Price locks" affect programming prices only, not equipment or service fees.

Ouch!!!!
post #95861 of 95875 Old Today, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And that's where they get you .

post #95862 of 95875 Old Today, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

That's true also, I did have a change of modems and at the original $3 it probably wouldn't have paid for itself, but at $7/month and a new one costing in the $70 range, it might be worth the gamble, a lot more than it was then.
post #95863 of 95875 Old Today, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not only that, but if you have problems and you have your own equipment, I've found the cable company to not be so helpful, it's like a built in excuse and you have to prove your innocence. I've got a MOXI and it took forever for them to get it going, funny how the tech walked in the door, did nothing but talk to the tech on the other line and voila the box was working.
Apples and oranges. A piece of equipment that is exactly what they will rent to you, will receive the same level of support from the cable company as the one you rented. Providing support for a DVR that probably 1 in 1,000 installers have every seen or heard of is quite a different manner.

You are paying $7 a month for a device you can buy for $70. That is $84 a year. Buy one once a year and throw it away at the end of the year and you saved yourself $14.

Quote:
And those locks don't cover all programming either. They usually don't cover premium channels for example.

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #95864 of 95875 Old Today, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's true also, I did have a change of modems and at the original $3 it probably wouldn't have paid for itself, but at $7/month and a new one costing in the $70 range, it might be worth the gamble, a lot more than it was then.
But you didn't have to change that modem. Your old modem would have worked just fine, but you would not have gotten the speeds you were paying for. Your old modem was a Docsis 2, the new modem is a Docsis 3. There is a new standard in the works, Docsis 3.1, but full scale implementation isn't expected until 2016 or 2017 and that won't make your current modem obsolete, you just won't be able to get the 1Gbs speeds that cables companies are starting to advertise.

post #95865 of 95875 Old Today, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post
Absolutely! Unless you're forced by your Internet provider to rent their modem it's always a better value to just purchase your own. If you're someone who bounces around providers and technology(telco vs cable) then maybe renting is okay, but otherwise you're just throwing money away. For example, Comcast provides a list of modems they support, purchase one on that list and you're good to go. There's over 30+ modems on the list.

The modem I purchased is a Zoom 8x4 DOCSIS 3 and it's worked like a champ.

Last edited by Keenan; Today at 03:02 PM.
post #95866 of 95875 Old Today, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Absolutely! Unless you're forced by your Internet provider to rent their modem it's always a better value to just purchase your own. If you're someone who bounces around providers and technology(telco vs cable) then maybe renting is okay, but otherwise you're just throwing money away. For example, Comcast provides a list of modems they support, purchase one on that list and you're good to go. There's over 30+ modems on the list.

The modem I purchased is a Zoom 8x4 DOCSIS 3 and it's worked like a champ.
I am in total agreement. In fact, when I went to Comcast internet a few years back I used your suggestion at the time, that same Zoom, and it has worked just like a champ, because it is!
Keenan likes this.

Bobby 

post #95867 of 95875 Old Today, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 44
A la carte would not push down cable TV prices in the short term. In fact, in the short term it could cause substantial price increases and lots of howling from consumers. But that might be a good thing if it made people care more about the quality of the programming on each channel that they had to pay a separate fee for. I mean, really, how many people would be willing to pay a specific fee just for the duck hunters and the celebrity trollops?
post #95868 of 95875 Old Today, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
A la carte would not push down cable TV prices in the short term. In fact, in the short term it could cause substantial price increases and lots of howling from consumers. But that might be a good thing if it made people care more about the quality of the programming on each channel that they had to pay a separate fee for. I mean, really, how many people would be willing to pay a specific fee just for the duck hunters and the celebrity trollops?
I'd pay for a channel that has those duck hunters hunting those celebrity trollops.
DrDon and mchief99 like this.
post #95869 of 95875 Old Today, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I'd pay for a channel that has those duck hunters hunting those celebrity trollops.
That wouldn't be fair, do it the other way around. Just give the guns to the trollops far away from me.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #95870 of 95875 Old Today, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Critic's Notes
Sure, You Loved Lucy, but Vintage Has Limits
A Case of Retro TV Overload
By Neil Genzlinger, The New York Times - Jul. 28, 2014

But if you’re watching this fare all day, every day, you need help, because “venerable” doesn’t necessarily mean “still watchable.” Sluggish pacing, wooden acting, wince-inducing jokes and obvious plot twists abound in the television of the distant and even not-so-distant past. Too much of this will turn your brain to mush as surely as too much of today’s reality TV will.

I know this is heresy to some, but since I’m in this far, I might as well go whole hog. Here are nine great, important, fabulous vintage (or soon to be) shows that I never want to see again. I don’t know if they are currently being shown on any of the channels mentioned above, but surely somebody has programmed them or plans to in the future. No! Back in the vault, please:

‘GREEN ACRES’ (1965) Speaking of stereotypes, there was this empty-headed series. Along with “The Beverly Hillbillies,” “Gomer Pyle” and a few others, it made sure “rural” and “stupid” would be wrongly linked for years to come.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/28/ar...ref=television
It's comments like this that make me wonder if the author ever watched more than snippets of this show. His comments are wrong in so many ways.

On the most superficial level, the series was very even-handed with it's characters. There was no derision of the rural characters. It was a fish-out-of-water scenario, where you really had people from different worlds living in the same small community, and the contrasts of their perspectives creating all kinds of humorous situations. The locals weren't portrayed as stupid, unsophisticated perhaps, but not stupid. And they would often get the best of Mr. Douglas, who's big-city life ad background was just as often made fun of.

On a higher level, Mr. Genzlinger misses that Green Acres was more than just an empty-headed sitcom. Long before reading the works of Beckett, I was introduced to the theater of the absurd through this show, with almost every episode serving as a primer. Also lost on Mr. Genzlinger were the societal commentaries included in some of the episodes. Some are dated now, 50 years later, but others still apply.

I remember watching this show as a child, later while in college, then about 10 years ago, and again today through reruns on a local station. Even though I've seen each episode multiple times, the show still remains fresh. It also has the same quality as Seinfeld in that one can become attached enough to the characters to feel like you could easily be friends with all of them.

For those who may think I'm giving the show too much credit, and in rebuttal to the Times piece, here's a much better article for anyone with an interest in the series and how inventive it was from a guy that gets it:

http://www.avclub.com/article/i-ithe...n-acresi-72592

Scott

post #95871 of 95875 Old Today, 06:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #95872 of 95875 Old Today, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What a ridiculous bit of posturing. The FCC has no power to compel the parties to enter arbitration. Chairman Wheeler knows that, and so do the members of Congress who urged him to do something. It's all election year posturing amounting to "I feel your pain."

Hey, is anybody still feeling Brooklyn's pain? The Boys of Summer back then didn't get paid what the athletes do now, but they had the love of the community in a way that today's Dodgers can never have.
post #95873 of 95875 Old Today, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
What a ridiculous bit of posturing. The FCC has no power to compel the parties to enter arbitration. Chairman Wheeler knows that, and so do the members of Congress who urged him to do something. It's all election year posturing amounting to "I feel your pain."

Hey, is anybody still feeling Brooklyn's pain? The Boys of Summer back then didn't get paid what the athletes do now, but they had the love of the community in a way that today's Dodgers can never have.
I agree on your Wheeler point, but to be fair your second point should include any pro sports team, not just the Dodgers.
post #95874 of 95875 Old Today, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

I may have had the old Brooklyn Dodgers on my mind because we're coming up on the 75th anniversary of the first televised MLB game.
post #95875 of 95875 Old Today, 09:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I may have had the old Brooklyn Dodgers on my mind because we're coming up on the 75th anniversary of the first televised MLB game.
Tonight during the game it was announced that Vin Scully, after soul-searching, will be back for 66th Dodgers season, the crowd went nuts.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page