AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Nielsen Notes (Cable)
CNN Overtakes MSNBC in July as Ratings Take a Hit
By Michael O'Connell, The Hollywood Reporter - Jul. 30, 2014

The cable news ratings seesaw for No. 2 has been in MSNBC's favor for some time, but not in July. CNN reclaimed runner-up status to Fox News Channel for the month by most key measures.

What's most disconcerting for MSNBC might be its total day average among the news demo of adults 25-54.
Dropping 33 percent from July 2013, it actually ranked below HLN by 16,000 viewers for No. 4 status.

To be sure, it wasn't a particularly outstanding month for most of the networks. In primetime and total day, CNN, MSNBC and HLN all were off double digits in the targeted demographic compared to a year ago. FNC, which easily retains the top slot, had the benefit of being up a tick (2 percent) in primetime for an average 299,000 adults 25-54.

July proved to be full of breaking news, with the ongoing crisis in the Gaza Strip and the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 occupying significant coverage from all during the second half of the month. The ratings losses that have been logged were somewhat lessened by the lifts seen in the last two weeks.

There also are individual races that proved more interesting than usual. In the morning, CNN's New Day overtook MSNBC's Morning Joe in the key demo, 93,000 to 79,000 viewers. At 5 p.m., FNC's The Five hit its third month at No. 1 among total viewers across all of cable — beating Nickelodeon's longtime vet and kid-pleaser SpongeBob SquarePants.

And in the evening, Rachel Maddow was only marginally improved from her lowest month ever in June, averaging 181,000 viewers in the key demo. (FNC's Megyn Kelly, by contrast, enjoyed her second-highest-rated month since launch with an especially strong 386,000 adults 25-54.)

It's also worth noting that Kelly and Maddow no longer see traditional news competition from CNN at 9 p.m. ET. Doc special The Sixties, which has been airing in the hour on Thursdays, has averaged 291,000 adults 25-54 over the course of its seven premiere telecasts. It now regularly outperforms Maddow.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...july-as-722127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #95882 of 95901 Old Today, 12:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Maggie Gyllenhaal stars as Nessa Stein in 'The Honorable Woman' on Sundance
She's a woman with a difficult past and complicated present who tries to make a difference in the Middle East
By David Hinckley, New York Daily News - Jul. 27, 2014

Nessa Stein seems to have everything, including the resources to bring about some reconciliation in the Middle East.

She’s not the first to discover that’s harder than it looks.

Still, she tries, which is the right thing.

“You don’t have to do it perfectly,” says Maggie Gyllenhaal, who plays Nessa Stein in “The Honorable Woman,” a BBC Two series that debuts here Thursday night at 10 on Sundance. “But you have to do something. This (story) is about acting, getting involved, putting your feet in the water.”

In an eight-part drama that’s part action thriller and part psychological drama, Nessa runs the Stein Group, a multinational firm she steers toward large-scale philanthropic projects.

In the Middle East, of course, not even the best-intended gestures can stay above conflict.

For Nessa, the seemingly benevolent act of installing high-speed data service between Israel and the West Bank triggers a backlash that quickly becomes whiplash.

Her plan becomes embroiled in external conflicts that eerily mirror the current real-life battles in Israel and Gaza — though this script was written some time earlier. As complications arise and dominoes fall, “The Honorable Woman” takes off on a ride that’s both fast-paced in its action-adventure story and contemplative in letting us see the complexity that drives and at times threatens to smother Nessa’s own life.

While the show’s title reflects her aspirations and her most fervent hope, the course of events makes it clear that unblemished honor is a luxury not available to mortals and perhaps not even to gods.

Gyllenhaal — who declined to comment on the current real life violence in the region — is okay with that.
“None of us,” she says, “ever do anything perfectly.”

Nessa Stein has a very personal reason for wanting to do something meaningful in the Middle East.

When she was a young girl, she and her brother Ephra were dining with their father Eli, who then ran the Stein Group, at a fancy restaurant.

One of the waiters pulled a gun and shot Eli in the head, leaving Nessa and Ephra spattered with his blood.
In the eyes of the waiter, it was more assassination than murder. One of the Stein Group’s primary enterprises was supplying guns to Israel.

Gyllenhaal says growing up with that memory, and in that shadow, became part of what inspired Nessa to take the present-day Stein Group in a very different direction.

“She understands why her father did what he did,” says Gyllenhaal. “Still, she’s the daughter of a Zionist gunrunner and she’s accepting some responsibility for what his company did.

“So she’s focused on trying to bring people and countries together. She’s focused on the large issues.”

In one early scene, she and her brother walk a short red carpet into a concert hall for a Stein-funded musical gala. A reporter asks her about reconciliation, she gives a bland answer. Then she returns to add that she’s not sure anyone has one single solution, but that at least “we are no longer part of the problem.”

Meanwhile, her personal life is almost as complicated as regional politics. She’s efficient, highly competent, skilled in social situations and entrenched behind the walls she’s been building since the day she saw her father die.

“It almost feels like Nessa is holding her breath until this moment where she can’t hold it any more,” says Gyllenhaal.

“The Honorable Woman” heightens the tensions in both her professional and personal lives by watching Nessa’s small moments.

Gyllenhaal notes one early moment where Nessa “snaps at one of the bodyguards, seemingly out of nowhere.” It’s a glimpse, she suggests, of what’s really simmering inside her walls.

“One of the things I loved about the script is that a lot of things surprised me about who Nessa is,” she says.

“She’s always trying to avoid revealing herself, and there were times when I didn’t know myself what was going on. There’s a scene in one episode where I’m crying on the floor in my underwear, and I don’t know why.”

One of the larger beauties of “The Honorable Woman,” Gyllenhaal says, is that this kind of self-deception is not peculiar to women from wealth and privilege. It’s common right down the socio-economic line.

“The public/private dichotomy is a huge part of who Nessa is,” she says. “When she’s in public, she’s performing. She’s playing herself.

“I can certainly relate to that, and not just because I’m an actress. It’s definitely an occupational hazard of being an actress, but I think every human being in the world, on some level, is performing herself and themselves.

“And the reason is because what’s underneath it can be terrifying.”

For an actress, of course, “terrifying” is code for “Bring it on.”

“I was attracted in this script to the whole spectrum of expression that was available to me as Nessa,” says Gyllenhaal. “Because, yes, she’s very powerful and graceful and intelligent. She’s also really childish and broken and hungry and desperate.

“I recognize those qualities in myself. They all exist in me. I like big shoulder pads, but I don’t necessarily want to play just a powerful woman, because I don’t buy that. There are moments I feel very powerful, and then there are moments where I really don’t. This role allowed all that to exist at the same time.”

That explains why she took a relatively rare step in her own life, which was accepting a role in a TV series. At 36, she’d never done that before — and in this century she has only done three other TV projects, two movies and a hosting gig on Discovery.

But she couldn’t turn down “The Honorable Woman,” written by Hugo Blick.

“It’s always more interesting to watch someone actually learning something or actually having an experience than to watch them pretending,” says Gyllenhaal. “And the only way to do that is if you’ve created a situation where that freedom, that surprise, that question mark is possible.

“It’s unusual. It happens, like, once every five years. You get together with a group of people, and something actually happens. You actually come out a different person.”

Nor did she emerge from “The Honorable Woman” simply feeling personal satisfaction. She also hopes the audience, besides enjoying the story and spectacle, will spend a little time contemplating the all-too-real Middle East issues the show raises.

“We don’t tend to think about them, perhaps because they seem so hopeless,” says Gyllenhaal. “I’m hoping this show will create a little space where people might.

“Our project doesn’t say this is right and this is wrong. It just points out the things we need to consider. It doesn’t even matter where you come down as long as you think about them.”

You don’t have to be perfect. Just be in the game.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1878025
post #95883 of 95901 Old Today, 12:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
WEDNESDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - The Middle
(R - Oct. 23)
8:30PM - The Goldbergs
(R - Mar. 11)
9PM - Modern Family
(R - Feb. 26)
9:31PM - The Middle
(R - Jan. 8)
10PM - Motive
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Rosario Dawson; Eric McCormack; Self performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - Big Brother
9PM - Criminal Minds
(R - Oct. 2)
10PM - Extant (Time Slot Premiere)
11:35PM - Late Show with David Letterman (Zoe Saldana; former Press Secretary Jay Carney; Crash performs)
12:37AM - Late Show with Craig Ferguson (Dana Carvey; Brit Marling)

NBC:
8PM - America's Got Talent: Cutdown
9PM - America's Got Talent: Results (LIVE)
10PM - Taxi Brooklyn
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Heidi Klum; Mike Birbiglia; Temples perform)
12:36AM - Late Night with Seth Meyers (Chris Pratt; Laverne Cox; Big Data and Joywave perform)
1:37AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (John Slattery; Night Terrors of 1927 perform; comic Cristela Alonzo)
(R - May 13)

FOX:
8PM - So You Think You Can Dance (120 min.)

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - My Wild Affair: The Rhino Who Joined The Family
9PM - NOVA - Australia's First 4 Billion Years: Monsters
(R - Apr. 24, 2013)
10PM - Sex in the Wild: Kangaroos

UNIVISION:
8PM - Mi Corazón Es Tuyo
9PM - Lo Que La Vida Me Robó
10PM - Qué Pobres Tan Ricos

THE CW:
8PM - Penn & Teller: Fool Us (Series Premiere)
9PM - The 100
(R - Apr. 23)

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Reina De Corazones
9PM - En Otra Piel
10PM - El Señor de los Cielos

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (Maggie Gyllenhaal)
11:31PM - The Colbert Report (James Franco)
12:01AM - At Midnight (Megan Neuringer; Matt Braunger; Emily Heller)
12:31AM - The Meltdown With Jonah and Kumail

TBS:
11PM - Conan (Norm Macdonald; Mackenzie Davis; musical guest Veruca Salt)
(R - May 21)

E!:
11PM - Chelsea Lately (Kelsey Grammer)
post #95884 of 95901 Old Today, 01:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
'Sharknado 2: The Second One' is every bit as good as the first one
By Mark Dawidziak, Cleveland Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- "Sharknado 2: The Second One" is bad, and that's good. Well, it's meant to be bad, in a good sort of way.

Look, if you saw last summer's surprise Syfy hit, "Sharknado," you know exactly what I mean. An intentionally cheesy collection of B-movie cliches, it was closer in lunatic spirit to "Airplane!" than "Jaws" (and, remember, the opening shot of "Airplane!" was a spoof of "Jaws").

Director Anthony C. Ferrante's "Sharknado 2" is a sequel exuberantly embracing that connection. Airing at 9 p.m. Wednesday, July 30, on Syfy, it opens with Finley "Fin" Shephard (Ian Ziering) and April Wexler (Tara Reid) on a plane flying through a storm toward New York City.

Cut to the pilot, who is played by none other than Robert Hays. Surely, not that Robert Hays? Yes, that Robert Hays, and fill in the familiar punch line from "Airplane!"

Hays, of course, played the reluctant pilot hero of "Airplane!" Before you can say, "Win this one for the Zipper," he and his co-pilot are debating whether to have chicken or fish for dinner. Always go with the chicken on a commercial flight, they decide, launching the first of many, many in-jokes.

"Don't worry, this is nothing," Hays says of the turbulence rocking the plane. "I've flown worse." Meanwhile, Fin is staring out the window, "Twilight Zone"-style, sure he sees something on the wing. "It's happening again," he says in a voice dripping with "so bad it's good" melodrama.

In the first film, a freak storm dumped man-eating sharks all over the Los Angeles area. Ex-surfer Fin and his ex-wife, April, were swept up in the horror of it all.

It is, indeed, happening again, only this time, Fin and April are in the middle of a freak weather system that's unleashing a Sharknado on New York City. And the mirthful mixture of snark and shark will keep you laughing at and with "Sharknado 2," all the way to the wildly over-the-top conclusion.

It's bad? It's really bad? That's sort of the point. The idea behind these "Sharknado" romps is that everybody -- director, actors, cable channel and, most importantly, the viewers -- is in on the joke. The dialogue is intentionally bad. The CGI work is intentionally cheap. The plot is intentionally ludicrous. The shock tactics are intentionally schlocky. And all this bad adds up to one monstrously good time, particularly if experienced with a rowdy and ready group of friends.

Ferrante wants viewers to jeer at the screen, making "Sharknado 2" a kind of national "Mystery Science Theater 3000" experiment.

To help the at-home comments along, he has stuffed "Sharknado 2" with as many cameo appearances as there are in-jokes. Look sharp, "Sharknado" fans, and you'll spot, among others, Vivica A. Fox, Robert Klein, Judd Hirsch, Billy Ray Cyrus, Mark McGrath, Kari Wuhrer, Kelly Osbourne, Andy Dick, "Downtown" Julie Brown, Perez Hilton, Judah Friedlander, Richard Kind, Al Roker and Matt Lauer.

You're not going to question how a storm could cause such a disaster. You're not going to be sitting home and thinking, "How did these guys think this was good?" You'll only be wondering how the actors kept a straight face while mouthing these ludicrously overripe lines.

Discovery Channel has built its annual summer tradition with Shark Week (this year's edition beginning Sunday, Aug. 10). Syfy is taking a jaw-dropping bite out of that playbook, asking viewers to swallow a happy-meal concoction of corny dialogue and hammy performances, cooked in a cheese sauce and served with a generous side of baloney.

You obviously know what you're sinking your teeth into with "Sharknado 2." Just remember, sharks or no sharks, as the marine biologist said, they're doing it on porpoise. Surely, they can't be serious.

Sharknado 2: The Second One
When: 9 p.m. Wednesday, July 30.
Where: Syfy

http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/ind...first_one.html
post #95885 of 95901 Old Today, 01:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Nick Orders Comedy '100 Things to Do Before High School’ From ‘Big Time Rush’ Creator
By Jethro Nededog, TheWrap.com - Jul. 29, 2014

Nickelodeon has greenlit a new comedy from “Big Time Rush” creator and executive producer Scott Fellows titled “100 Things To Do Before High School.”

The kids’ channel ordered 26 episodes of the half-hour, single-camera series that follows three best friends as they navigate the highs and lows of middle school, with the help of a bucket list of adventures that help them overcome class cliques, terrifying bullies and clueless teachers.

Production on the new series will begin in Los Angeles in the fall.

The series stars CJ Parker as Isabela Moner, who has only a short time left to make the most of her middle school years. Together with her two lifelong best friends Fenwick (Jaheem Toombs) and Crispo (Owen Joyner), she is determined to get the most out of this time, using an ever-expanding list of challenges as a guide. For this group, growing up means trying everything and taking chances while they still can.

“Crossing that bridge into high school is a milestone and a journey filled with taking chances, expressing yourself and building friendships,” said Nick's president of content development and production, Russell Hicks, in a statement.

He continued, “Kids will be able to relate to this coming of age comedy that embodies that crazy and sometimes magical time in their lives.”

Aside from creating Nick hit show “Big Time Rush,” Fellows also created and executive produced “Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide” and DHX Media's “Johnny Test.” Previously, he worked as a staff writer on “The Fairly OddParents,” for which he received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Music and Lyrics for the show in 2003.

http://www.thewrap.com/nick-orders-c...-rush-creator/

TV Notes
VH1 Renews ‘Hit the Floor’ for Season 3
By Tim Kenneally, TheWrap.com - Jul. 29, 2014

Here's something to cheer about, “Hit the Floor” fans.

VH1 has renewed the scripted series, which delves into the treacherous and tempting world of NBA cheerleading, for a third season.

The series — which follows Ahsha (Taylour Paige), who joins the Los Angeles Devil Girls cheerleading squad — will wrap its second season on Aug. 11.

“‘Hit The Floor’ delivered again with fantastic ratings and social media engagement in season two, especially among women,” VH1's EVP of Original Programming and Production Susan Levison said. “We look forward to seeing what kind of trouble the Devil Girls will get into next season.”

During its first season, “Hit the Floor” was the top-rated new scripted cable series of the summer in the 18-49 demographic most important to advertisers. To date, the second season ranks as the top ad-supported scripted cable drama among women 18-49.

http://www.thewrap.com/vh1-renews-hi...-for-season-3/
post #95886 of 95901 Old Today, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
That's true also, I did have a change of modems and at the original $3 it probably wouldn't have paid for itself, but at $7/month and a new one costing in the $70 range, it might be worth the gamble, a lot more than it was then.
If Comcast changes standards they would have to replace all present equpment. You are safe. Buy a modem.
post #95887 of 95901 Old Today, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Re: Sharknado 2...

Do any of them go to an apartment, knock on the door and say "Candygram."??

You have to be an old, old, OLD viewer of SNL to get that one.
DrDon likes this.
post #95888 of 95901 Old Today, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
If Comcast changes standards they would have to replace all present equpment. You are safe. Buy a modem.
Um, no they wouldn't.

Here's how it really works:

"Congratulations! Comcast is increasing your speed. To get full use of that speed, you'll need to upgrade your modem, which Comcast will do at no cost. Call us now to request your new equipment today so you can enjoy your higher available broadband speeds.**

**Upgraded modem price will increase to $12/month. Your broadband service will remain the same price for the next 12 months, at which time your new monthly price will go up by $5/month. If you choose not to upgrade, you're price will remain the same. To receive new equipment at no cost, customers must exchange their old equipment in person at any Comcast location and perform a self install. Professional home installation is $30.

So, what this amounts to is they figure only a small number of people will take them up on it at any given time because the smart ones that want the higher speeds will buy a modem and the cheap folks will simply stick with what they've got.

Don't believe it? That's exactly the deal that was thrown at my Father through Time Warner.
post #95889 of 95901 Old Today, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

..or just be someone with the Internet...
post #95890 of 95901 Old Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Yep. land shark was one the very best skits on SNL.
post #95891 of 95901 Old Today, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post
Yep. land shark was one the very best skits on SNL.
"Candygram"

Mike Rife

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

post #95892 of 95901 Old Today, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 222
And there's the sketch for the current "SNL:" "Land Sharknado."

And I'm claiming copyright!

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #95893 of 95901 Old Today, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Technology/Business Notes
Nintendo Posts Bigger Quarterly Loss as Wii U, 3DS Sales Slump
By Gavin J. Blair, The Hollywood Reporter - Jul. 30, 2014

TOKYO – Nintendo announced an operating loss of $92.7 million (¥9.47 billion) in the April to June quarter, compared to $48.2 million (¥4.92 billion) in the same period last year, as sales of its Wii U and 3DS consoles continued to disappoint. However, the company left its prediction of a return to profit for the full year unchanged.

Total sales fell to $731 million (¥74.7 billion) from $799 million (¥81.6 billion) in the corresponding quarter of 2013. Sales have more than halved since the same period in 2011, when Nintendo posted figures of $1.85 billion (¥188.6 billion) on the back of the popularity of the original Wii console.

Nintendo sold just 820,000 units of its portable 3DS in the three months to June, along with 8.57 million games. Sales of the 3DS dipped below one million in the previous quarter. Wii U console sales were also weak, registering just 520,000 units and 4.39 million games. Mario Kart 8, released globally in May, accounted for 2.82 million of total game sales.

The company in May said that it expects to sell 3.6 million Wii U consoles in the year ending in March 2015, along with 12 million units of its 3DS. The company said in its earnings release today that there is, "no revision to the consolidated financial forecast for this fiscal year," despite the dismal sales figures.

The Kyoto-based game and console maker has long had a reputation among analysts for being overly optimistic in its forecasts. However, predicting sales of more than 10 million 3DS units for the second half of the year, having sold less than two million in the first half, appears to be stretching the credibility of Nintendo's predictions to a new level.

A spokesperson from the company confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that it had no intention of revising its forecasts and expected to hit the stated sales targets.

Rival Sony, whose successful PlayStation 4 the Wii U is losing out to globally, reports its earnings tomorrow.

http://http://www.hollywoodreporter....7qAybsJ1wsAgAA
post #95894 of 95901 Old Today, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jul. 30, 2014

SHARKNADO
SyFy, 7:00 p.m. ET

I know, I really shouldn’t be highlighting this 2013 Syfy movie. Yet after generating one unsuccessful hybrid monster schlockfest after another – many of which are on view early today, as with Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus (9 a.m. ET), Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus (1 p.m. ET), and Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark (3 p.m. ET) – the cable network finally hit it big with Sharknado, its small-screen equivalent of the media frenzy once generated by Snakes on a Plane. Nobody went to see that movie in theaters, but Sharknado, now as when it premiered last year, is available without leaving your living room. In other words, no one has to see you watching. And stay tuned, of course, for the brand new sequel, which touches down tonight at 9 ET.

PENN & TELLER: FOOL US
The CW, 8:00 p.m. ET
SERIES PREMIERE:
Imported from England, this series allows Penn & Teller to do what Harry Houdini, in his last years, enjoyed doing: Witnessing various purported acts of magic and spiritualism, and calling them out as fakes. Penn & Teller may take a kinder approach to the amateur magicians they host on his show – but don’t bet on it.

EXTANT
CBS, 10:00 p.m. ET

In tonight’s episode, Molly (Halle Berry) flees to protect her son the robot – and finds she has other things that should be making her wary as well.

SHARKNADO 2: THE SECOND ONE
SyFy, 9:00 p.m. ET

The title of this 2014 sequel suggests how tongue-in-cheek the filmmakers are approaching this, and viewers should approach with that in mind. Ian Ziering and Tara Reid return for this second go-round, which is less of a draw than cameos by Kelly Ripa, Matt Lauer, Robert Klein and Viveca A. Fox. The true draw, of course, is the idea of the gloriously cheesy special effects, approximating giant funnel storms that deposit killer sharks all over New York. Personally, I’m waiting for a variation on the theme, one that would marry meteorology and zoology in even more bizarre ways. Why make more than one Sharknado? Why not move on to other grafted animal-filled storms? Submitted, for your approval: airborne bison in Herdicane. Piggish Northern Lights in Aurora Boar-ealis. And, last and probably least, the potentially R-rated weather thriller, Kittytwister.

HOT IN CLEVELAND
TV Land, 10:00 p.m. ET

Here’s something potentially scary: In tonight’s episode of Hot in Cleveland, the female characters, including Betty White, are portrayed as their animated counterparts. And here’s something even scarier: Getting the same two-dimensional treatment is Steven Tyler of Aerosmith.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/
post #95895 of 95901 Old Today, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TUESDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insight's Blog.
post #95896 of 95901 Old Today, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
A healthy surge for new ‘Food Fighters’
NBC reality program surges 30 percent over last week's debut
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Jul. 30, 2013

In its second week, NBC’s “Food Fighters” heated up.

The reality show surged 30 percent over last week’s debut, the biggest week-to-week growth for any new series this summer.

“Food” averaged a 1.3 adults 18-49 rating at 8 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, up from a 1.0 last week.

The show finished as the No. 2 program on the night, behind only lead-out “America’s Got Talent,” which, as usual, dominated its 9 to 11 p.m. timeslot.

“Talent” averaged a 2.4, even to last week, and topped the No. 2 network in its timeslot, ABC, by 140 percent.

ABC was the only other Big Five channel with originals on last night. “Extreme Weight Loss” grew a tenth from last week, to a 1.1 from 8 to 10 p.m., equaling an eight-week high.

The season finale of “Celebrity Wife Swap” at 10 p.m. was also up a tenth from last week, to a 1.0.

NBC was first for the night among 18-49s with a 2.0 average overnight rating and a 7 share. Univision was second at 1.4/5, ABC third at 1.0/3, CBS fourth at 0.9/3, Fox and Telemundo tied for fifth at 0.6/2, and CW was seventh at 0.3/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-nine percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

At 8 p.m. NBC was first with a 1.3 for “Food,” followed by Univision with a 1.2 for “Mi Corazon es Tuyo.” ABC and CBS tied for third at 1.0, ABC for “Weight” and CBS for a repeat of “NCIS,” Fox was fifth with a 0.6 for reruns of “Family Guy” and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.5 for “Reina de Corazones,” and CW seventh with a 0.3 for a repeat of “Arrow.”

NBC extended its lead at 9 p.m. with a 2.4 for “Talent,” while Univision remained second with a 1.5 for “Lo Que La Vida Me Robo.” ABC was third with a 1.1 for more “Weight,” and CBS took fourth with a 1.0 for a repeat of “NCIS: Los Angeles.” Fox and Telemundo tied for fifth at 0.5, Fox for reruns of “New Girl” and “The Mindy Project” and Telemundo for “En Otra Piel,” and CW was seventh with a 0.2 for a repeat of “Supernatural.”

At 10 p.m. NBC led with a 2.4 for more “Talent,” with Univision second with a 1.4 for “Que Pobres Tan Ricos.” ABC was third with a 1.0 for “Wife,” Telemundo fourth with a 0.8 for “El Señor de los Cielos” and CBS fifth with a 0.7 for a repeat of “Person of Interest.”

NBC was also first for the night among households with a 5.0 average overnight rating and a 9 share. CBS was second at 4.2/7, ABC third at 2.3/4, Univision fourth at 1.7/3, Fox fifth at 0.9/2, Telemundo sixth at 0.8/1 and CW seventh at 0.5/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/a-h...food-fighters/
post #95897 of 95901 Old Today, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV/Business Notes
Production On ‘Big Bang Theory’ Pushed Over Cast Contract Negotiations As Actors Near New Deals
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Jul. 30, 2014

There is no agreement yet in the contract negotiations between the original cast of The Big Bang Theory and Warner Bros TV, leading to the studio’s decision to push the production start date for Season 8, originally slated for today. “Due to ongoing contract negotiations, production on The Big Bang Theory — which was originally scheduled to begin today — has been postponed,” WBTV said in a statement. I hear the postponement is for one day, and the situation would be evaluated day by day as the two sides continue to negotiate and are close to deals, something that could happen as early as today.

While Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar worked during the 2010 salary renegotiations that also dragged on over the summer, they were under deals back then. The situation is different this time as the quintet’s contracts all expired at the end of last season. The only Big Bang cast members who have deals and would’ve showed up today are Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik, who renegotiated their contracts last fall.

There has been progress, with negotiations ramping up over the past week though the gap between what the actors are seeking and have been offered on the episodic fee and back-end side has not been bridged just yet. At TCA last two weeks ago, CBS chairman Nina Tassler did not sound worried. “We’re feeling very confident that everything will work out,” she said of the negotiations. “These deals manage to get done somehow miraculously year after year.” Big Bang plays a major piece in CBS’ fall plans, with an hourlong premiere on September 22 leading to the debut of new action drama Scorpion, often referred to as a procedural take on Big Bang. There is no immediate danger of missing the premiere date.

The Big Bang negotiations are under extra scrutiny in light of the ongoing takeover attempt of WBTV parent Time Warner by 21st Century Fox. Big Bang is one the biggest singular TV assets of the company, estimated to generate up to $2 billions in profits. Nobody is talking, but industry expectations are that, when the i’s are dotted and the t’s are crossed, the trio of of Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco would each cross the Friends mark of $1 million an episode and will significantly increase their current back-end stake of 0.25 points. As they did the last time, Helberg and Nayyar are said to be negotiating together.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/big-...-negotiations/
post #95898 of 95901 Old Today, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Fantasy Meets Reality TV in ABC’s ‘The Quest’
By Terry Flores, Variety.com - Jul. 30, 2014

If you’ve helped make “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, and the indie film landscape just isn’t big enough, where do you go? For producer Mark Ordesky, the answer is reality TV.

Ordesky is among a handful of creatives responsible for the “The Quest,” which premieres Thursday, July 31, on ABC, and marries a mostly scripted environment with real people dropped into a fantasy world — Everealm, replete with actors who play villagers, villains and ogres — as they vie to be the “one true hero” who defeats the great evil.

The show, billed as “immersive reality,” is the brainchild of an exec producer combo of feature film pros and reality hitmakers. Ordesky had worked with his Court Five partner Jane Fleming at New Line; Rob Eric and Michael Williams (“Queer Eye for the Straight Guy”) and Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri (“The Amazing Race”) cut their teeth on reality stalwarts.

The setting is a real castle on 70 acres of forested land in Vienna, where the contestants, called paladins, reside. “Michael Williams scanned thousands of castles all around the world to find (it),” Ordesky says.

“There was never a moment when the paladins were out of that world,” adds Eric. And while the paladins went to bed in the castle each night, they “always thought the actors would be there as well,” he says. But the thesps got to go home to the modern world. Even the producers dressed in fantasy garb whenever they visited the set, and they never let the contestants know who they were.

“We wanted to create a world that was completely real,” says Eric.

“The producers were very good making sure we didn’t have any contact with people in production so that we could interact only with the actors and each other,” contestant Jim Curry explains. “They did a fantastic job of hiding the cameramen. I was impressed how they could keep the cameras concealed.”

While Fleming notes such dedication to realism could mean a significant pricetag, she points to other savings. “This is not a budget show, but it’s not as expensive as one might expect,” she explains. “Scripted characters essentially take the place of the host,” she adds. Actors were locals or plucked from nearby countries. And the creators worked with its production partners to come up with a workable plan to present to ABC.

“With our partners — Spectral Motion for the prosthetic creatures, NuFormer for 3D projection and Encore for post-production visual fx — we were able to create a plan just to get the network to say yes,” notes Ordesky. “We had to make a really undeniable case, acknowledging that it would need to be done for a price, but it would be done really well.”

For their part, the contestants dove into the fantasy world with gusto. “The actors were so in the moment and so spontaneous, you couldn’t help but feel you were part of it,” says Jasmine Kyle, another of the 12 paladins. “It was kind of scary just how into that world you could become.”

“We never knew what to expect,” says Curry. “ We didn’t know if the next person coming around the corner would be a friend or an enemy.”

Another element unlike other reality-competition shows, there’s no cash prize.

“We talked about having at length about having a prize,” Fleming says. “It just felt wrong, like, ‘Oh, you’re the One True Hero and here’s a new car.’ ”

“And the network was completely with us,” adds Ordesky. “They said, ‘No. It’s off brand.’ ”

The interplay between characters defines each week’s challenge, and competitors themselves decide who’ll be banished at the end of each episode.

“This voting component is great because it actually goes to people weighing the values of what make a hero,” says Ordesky. “It’s a very thoughtful, fun process.”

The actors work from the framework of a script developed with Eduardo Sanchez and Gregg Hale of Haxan Films, filmmakers who have worked on independent films with Ordesky and Fleming, including the thriller “Lovely Molly” and the upcoming Bigfoot project “Exists.” The storyline weaves through 10 episodes and the actors help to drive the story forward while interacting with the contestants, giving them plenty of opportunity for improv. Fleming notes that the actors were each given extensive backstory for their characters to help them with the improv aspect.

Since Fleming and Ordesky are primarily known for their filmmaking backgrounds, they approached the filming of “The Quest” a little differently than a traditional reality show. “We shot it like an independent feature,” Fleming says. Episodes, indeed, have a very film-like feel.

When they took the idea to Eric and Williams five years ago, the quartet created a trailer that would convey the look and feel of what they were going for. “It was sort of ‘Lord of the Rings’ and ‘Stardust,’” said Eric. “That’s the world we wanted to play in.”

Essentially, “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy is where “The Quest” began, when Ordesky and Fleming were at New Line in 1999 watching tapes of the actors training to fight for “The Fellowship of the Ring” and, well, they were jealous. “Why do the actors get to have all the fun,” recalls Fleming. “I want to go to sword camp.”

They finally got their chance when pre-production began for “The Quest.”

“One of the most fun things was that we actually got to be the testers of the challenges. So we got to compete against each other and with each other,” says Fleming.

“I made sure not to go head-to-head against Jane, because I’ve known her more than 20 years and I knew that would be a recipe for loss on my part,” jokes Ordesky.

But creating their immersive fantasy world for the paladins was their main focus. “We wanted to push the envelope of reality television and our partners did as well,” explains Ordesky. “There’s that wonderful sense of discovery when people are trying something different.”

For all the immersive reality though, Curry noted one major drawback to castle living. “One of the things we missed most was indoor plumbing.”

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/abcs...ow-1201271434/
post #95899 of 95901 Old Today, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinDenver View Post
"Candygram"
Will you save some for Mongo?
MRinDenver likes this.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #95900 of 95901 Old Today, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jul. 30, 2014

EXTANT
CBS, 10:00 p.m. ET
Why did they change the timeslot its Live+63 audience was 59,000,002.
DrDon likes this.

post #95901 of 95901 Old Today, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Why did they change the timeslot its Live+63 audience was 59,000,002.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Live...-a&channel=rcs
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page